BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2010-01-25 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2632278

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Group - FULL!!
I'm not sure how to refil my areo bar bottle in a race. Do you fill it off your regular bike bottles or just use bottle water bottles with twist off caps to poor in the top of the aero bottle?

2010-01-25 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2556283

User image

I agree with Carrie unless it gets in the way of your training for whatever your A races are just run it call it training a B race whatever just go have fun
2010-01-25 8:22 PM
in reply to: #2632940

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
michwea - 2010-01-25 9:16 AM Went into work on Sunday instead of my usual yoga class (and some times, long ride) to dig myself out and prep for the next month.  Looks like I'll be on the road multiple days, three out of the four weeks in February.  Training, needless to say, is going to be challenging--especially on the bike.  I'm really bummed thinking about the lost momentum.  Oh, and I woke up with a cold too.

I had originally planned to run a half mary in early March--but now with all the training disruption, I'm leaning toward shining it.  I can do the distance as my long runs are in the 9 to 10 mile range, but I'm just thinking that I won't be as mentally focused and prepared for racing as I would like to be going into an event. 

Ever find yourself scratching a race you thought you wanted to do because life got in the way and you just couldn't prepare the way you wanted?  Or is sucking it up and sticking with the plan a better way to go to avoid regrets in the end?

I will agree with the others in part.  As long as you feel that you are physically capable of doing the race then go for it.  Only if you feel that you are so underprepared that it you could be risking injury would I suggest sitting out or trying to drop down to a 10 or 5k if available.  Yeah, your training may have been inconsistent.  Perhaps you could have gotten in a few long runs of 12-13 miles, but you have worked hard up until this point, enough to get you to the starting line.  Just throw your expectations out the window and enjoy yourself.  Run for the sake of having fun.

I battled a foot injury before my first marathon and put in nowhere near the training that I had wanted to.  I showed up anyway and completely ignored my previous time goals and just focused on having fun and finishing the dang thing.  I was glad I did.  Plus I was able to set a pretty impressive PR the next time around
2010-01-25 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2633337

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Jacklcm - 2010-01-25 11:33 AM I'm not sure how to refil my areo bar bottle in a race. Do you fill it off your regular bike bottles or just use bottle water bottles with twist off caps to poor in the top of the aero bottle?

Do you mean at a bottle exchange?  You should be able to just pour in the top with either your own water bottle or whatever is given to you.

I have the profile design aero bottle and have to pop the black "lid" off before filling.  There is a hole in the "lid" but I've found it hard to fill that way.  Plus now I have electrical tape over the opening to help with splashing.
2010-01-25 8:46 PM

Got my wetsuit today. This thing is tight! I am thinking about sending it back for one size bigger, I am right between two sizes and maybe I should have gone with the bigger of the two. I guess I am already expecting those extra 5-10 lbs to go before the season starts.
Anyone else with a full suit: How tight should they be? I can move okay when I finally get the thing on, it just feels very thight.

Also first day when my cold is gone so I could make it back to the pool, feels good to get going again.
2010-01-25 10:24 PM
in reply to: #2634372

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
If they really are OK with you trying the wetsuit in the chlorine and still returning it, I would try it.  I have a sleeveless (mens) that I bought last year that I struggled with all year because I was bustier than the wetsuit measured for so I always felt like I was struggling to breathe against the wetsuit.  However, a tighter wetsuit will warm the water quicker I think.  I would try it a few times and see how it goes.  If it doesn't work, go with the bigger size.

Let me know how things work out.

2010-01-26 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2634372

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
ncSwede - 2010-01-25 8:46 PM Got my wetsuit today. This thing is tight! I am thinking about sending it back for one size bigger, I am right between two sizes and maybe I should have gone with the bigger of the two. I guess I am already expecting those extra 5-10 lbs to go before the season starts.
Anyone else with a full suit: How tight should they be? I can move okay when I finally get the thing on, it just feels very thight.

Also first day when my cold is gone so I could make it back to the pool, feels good to get going again.

The wetsuit should be tight, but not so tight that you feel that your range of motion is restricted.  If you have the chance definitely go for a test swim. You shouldn't feel like your stroke is impeded at all.  Plus once you get the suit wet it should stretch out a little bit too.
2010-01-26 7:19 AM

User image

I have a 2 piece and it is very tight, does not limit range of motion though. It felt uncomfortable until I got in the water and got over the initial squeeze of the water and wetsuit. I had the benefit of scuba diving for years though and sorta new what to expect as far as the tightness and the water squeeze. Just give it a try and you will know.
2010-01-26 7:26 AM

User image

Veteran
MA
ncswede - keeping the wetsuit might workout best for you if you expect to lose some more weight.  I got my first wetsuit last season when I started tri training, and it fit perfect (not too tight, not loose).  Ten lost pounds later it was a little loose, not ideal, but workable.  Another 5-8 pounds, and I had to get a new one.   The old one will go to the classifieds after only a handful of uses.  Although, I may need that larger size if I don't get my arse in gear soon.

Edited by jammers 2010-01-26 7:26 AM
2010-01-26 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL

Advice from the runners out there (plan doesn't start til next week).

I was thinking of doing an interval run workout tonight.  I was planning on doing 4 x1 minute hard x 1 minute easy/walk with 2 minutes rest inbetween eash set.  Total of 3 sets.  So that is basically 12 hard minutes with some easy run/walks.

Would you leave the workout at that, or warm for 10 minutes and cool down for 10 minutes?

Or since I am still building mileage, skip the intervals and just run 2.5 miles.

2010-01-26 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2634881

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Carrie

I'd skip the hard effort stuff for a while. Especially if your plan hasn't called for it/started yet. Running *more* is going to be much more beneficial than running hard.
Warmup and Cooldown are a must, (in my mind.) along with foam rolling and stretching.

2010-01-26 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
carrie639 - 2010-01-26 8:55 AM

I was thinking of doing an interval run workout tonight.  I was planning on doing 4 x1 minute hard x 1 minute easy/walk with 2 minutes rest inbetween eash set.  Total of 3 sets.  So that is basically 12 hard minutes with some easy run/walks.

Would you leave the workout at that, or warm for 10 minutes and cool down for 10 minutes?

Or since I am still building mileage, skip the intervals and just run 2.5 miles.

Personally, I would skip the intervals, unless you really need a change of pace in your workouts due to boredom. Even then, I'd consider a fartliek over intervals. Until you build your base, IMO, ther'es not a lot of reason to push your pace too hard.

If you do do the intervals definitely do a warm up run, doesn't even have to be 10 minutes. Back in Cross Country, sometimes we just did a 400 warmup and then began the workout. However, you need to do something to get loose before going at pace with the intervals.

On the cooldown, I've never done them except when forced to by a coach. Some good stretching should give you everything you need.
2010-01-26 9:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Another bike question:

Shoudl biking, in theory work like running where negative splits are desirable?

Right now I have a steady slow down each mile of about 6 seconds per mile, before I finally settle out at a basin of 15.25 mph on the trainer. Is this typical in biking or am I just going too fast at teh start, even if it doesn't feel like it.

Also, is there a target HR% for mid-long bikes (100-150 minutes for me). I was thinking baout trying to pace with HR since, if I am supposed to stay steady pace, RPE isn't working for me.

2010-01-26 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
carrie639 - 2010-01-26 6:55 AM

Hi Carrie,

I agree with Chris and Mike--hold off on the intervals and work on building your base right now.  The fastest way to a serious injury is by doing speed work too soon.  And when you are ready to do speed work, I would definitely recommend a warm up.  I usually do a mile, mile and half easy first, and then focus on the intervals.  As to a cool down--I'm not much of a cool down person.  Usually the walk home from where I start and end my runs is enough to allow my heart beat to return to normal.  I always do at least five solid minutes of static stretches after any run, as well. 
2010-01-26 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
Thanks for all the advice about sticking with my planned half mary in March.  I never planned for it to be an "A" race to begin with--so running it just for fun should be the goal.  Granted we all have our physical limits when it comes to these three sports, but I find my biggest limiter is my head sometimes.  If I think of that upcoming race as 'fun' instead of more 'work' where my performance has to count, it makes it much easier. 

Off to San Francisco this morning for a couple of days of meetings.  Train well everyone!
2010-01-26 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran

I agree with the others.  Hold off on the speed stuff for now.  Looks like you had some running injury challenges and your goal is to avoid running injuries.  I've added some speed this winter after a year and its been challenging for me with leg pain. 

Edited by Jacklcm 2010-01-26 12:07 PM

2010-01-26 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2635038

User image

Veteran

Great approach.  Good training to you.

2010-01-26 12:35 PM

User image

Weight training and a hill run at lunch, my shins are screaming again. I am going to take a couple days off and stay of the hills for a while and see if that straightens these shin splints out. Feel good when I am running maybe should just keep running like Forest Gump
2010-01-26 7:34 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Thanks for all of your advice on my run tonight  . . . unfortunately, it didn't matter cuz my shin splints flared their ugly head at a little over a mile.  Very frustrating since I felt like I have finally made a small breakthrough.  I was kinda sore from swim and legs strength training last night so I will stay off running til Saturday (next planned run) and if I still have problems, maybe have to resort back to aqua running again with maybe 1x/week runs.

2010-01-26 8:04 PM
in reply to: #2636246

User image

Veteran
Sorry to hear about your run problems.  I've been fighting run pain for last few weeks.  Hope you get some good rest and your body heals.  I watched the BT video on overuse injuries and it was very informative.  If you interested here is the
link

:http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1870

Edited by Jacklcm 2010-01-27 7:44 PM
2010-01-26 9:02 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
carrie639 - 2010-01-26 7:34 PM Thanks for all of your advice on my run tonight  . . . unfortunately, it didn't matter cuz my shin splints flared their ugly head at a little over a mile.  Very frustrating since I felt like I have finally made a small breakthrough.  I was kinda sore from swim and legs strength training last night so I will stay off running til Saturday (next planned run) and if I still have problems, maybe have to resort back to aqua running again with maybe 1x/week runs.

I'm sorry to hear that your shin splits flared up again.  Definitely take some time off and when you do make your next attempt be sure to work some walking in there and don't overdue.

Thanks for the rest of the group for chiming in on the interval debate.  I'll agree.  I think unless you are a very strong runner with a couple years under your belt more benefit can be gained by simply running more frequently and increasing mileage.  Intervals can be very stressful on the body and you can accomplish the same fitness gains by just increasing mileage.  

2010-01-26 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2634974

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
randomguymike - 2010-01-26 9:30 AM

Another bike question:

Shoudl biking, in theory work like running where negative splits are desirable?

Right now I have a steady slow down each mile of about 6 seconds per mile, before I finally settle out at a basin of 15.25 mph on the trainer. Is this typical in biking or am I just going too fast at teh start, even if it doesn't feel like it.

Also, is there a target HR% for mid-long bikes (100-150 minutes for me). I was thinking baout trying to pace with HR since, if I am supposed to stay steady pace, RPE isn't working for me.

I think an even pace or negative split would be desirable.  Since you said you are on the trainer a drop in pace would be a sign of fatigue.  That said, keeping a steady pace on the trainer is extremely difficult (at least in my experience) due to the fact that you have a constant resistance and no breaks

Is this steady slow down occuring straight from the start of your ride or near the end?  If it starts right away I would say you are just going out too fast.  If its coming much later it is fatigue or possibly nutrition.  For rides of 1.5-2.5 hours you should be at the very least drinking a sports drink and possibly taking in a gel or bar or some other form of nutrition.  I've seen anywhere from 200-500 calories per hour depending on how well your stomach takes it.  I would suggest going out a little easier at the start and see if you see the same decline.

I'm no heart rate expert, but I think a ride of that length would be considered a zone 2 workout which would be 60-70% of your MHR.  
2010-01-27 7:10 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
carrie639 - 2010-01-26 8:34 PM Thanks for all of your advice on my run tonight  . . . unfortunately, it didn't matter cuz my shin splints flared their ugly head at a little over a mile.  Very frustrating since I felt like I have finally made a small breakthrough.  I was kinda sore from swim and legs strength training last night so I will stay off running til Saturday (next planned run) and if I still have problems, maybe have to resort back to aqua running again with maybe 1x/week runs.

Carrie,

Your shin splints seem like a recurring problem. How long have you been dealing with them? What shoes are you running in? Mileage on them? Were you fit at a running shop and if so were they aware you battle shin splints?

Do you use a foam roller? How much of your weights workout is lower leg and quad dominant?

I ask because from looking at your logs it seems like you've got enough of  a base that it is somewhat odd you are still getting them regularly.
2010-01-27 7:29 AM
in reply to: #2636719

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I have actually struggled with running and shin splints since after high school.  Never got them in high school though and ran distance with no orthotics.  I have gotten shin splints every time I start running again and always have to stop they get so painful.

I am an Athena, don't know if that matters.  I am running in New Balance 850's.  I have custom running orthotics and the shoes were fit with the running store and the person who did my orthotics.  She did do a run gait analysis and I do severely overpronate.

I do use a foam roller, but I have trouble rolling my calfs because it does become painful sometimes.  My calfs are extremely tight, even though I stretch and roll them. 

Most leg workouts are generally lunges, squats, side leg raises.  I try to do ankle exercises as well to strengthen the shin area.

I would say my base is OK. The reason I say that is not all run you see are actual run.  Some are aqua jogging.

I try to do a good warm-up before runs and I almost always ice the shin down afterward and end up wearing a recovery sock for the next day or two.  I fear doing breastroke kick drills might have caused the problem since there was alot of that Monday night.  Another person in my class got shin splints from that and had to quit swimming for awhile.

Any thoughts or advice is helpfull.  Do I need to change up my stretching, strengthening, etc?
2010-01-27 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
I'm not expert but I've been working through some similar problems.  I don't have shin splints but I do have calf problems and tightness.  One of the videos from BT on running had a coach that said if you have calf pain problems you probably have tightness in your hip area and that impacts everything else.  His recomendation was to do yoga improved flexibility in your hips.  I started doing yoga twice a week and I'm slowly seeing an improvement.   I previously did yoga about once a week, but now I'm consistantly doing it twice a week.  Yoga classes come in all sizes but if you find a good teacher they will give you stuff to try.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 26