BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2010-01-24 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2631517

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
Subject: RE: Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010!
bwingate - 2010-01-24 10:38 AMHad a nice run this morning - 11 miles (ok, 10.86) non-stop at a decent pace - closer to 10:00/mile than 9:00/mile, but not bad.  I was cold and tired at the end, and I'm tired now, but I feel pretty good anyway.

And boys and girls (girl?) - I've switched to running tights for cooler and colder morning runs.  They are more comfortable than the workout pants/jogging suit I was using.  The ones I have are lightweight, so if it gets much colder, I'll have to layer them over something.  I do feel strange wearing the tights, but its 5:00 a.m. when I'm out.  Who the heck is going to see me?  (Tights are Champion C9's from Target and Starter's from Walmart.  Starter seems to be a little tighter and the   c9's a little stretchier.)

Awesome run man. I long for the day I get to 11 miles. 7 yesterday and hopefully I will add one or possibly the end of this week. I am concentrating on my run and swim right now. I am cutting the bike down a little for a few weeks. I got in an hour and a half in the pool at 6:am this morning. Nice smooth swim with a few balance and stroke drills. I am planning on swimming 5 days this week. Back in the water tomorrow morning.

Not brave enough for the tights yet. I am running in jogging pants and shorts when warm. I am sure its coming but I am not ready yet. Hahah

2010-01-24 11:50 AM
in reply to: #2631576

Extreme Veteran
LanierSpots - 2010-01-24 12:23 PM
bwingate - 2010-01-24 10:38 AMHad a nice run this morning - 11 miles (ok, 10.86) non-stop at a decent pace - closer to 10:00/mile than 9:00/mile, but not bad.  I was cold and tired at the end, and I'm tired now, but I feel pretty good anyway.

And boys and girls (girl?) - I've switched to running tights for cooler and colder morning runs.  They are more comfortable than the workout pants/jogging suit I was using.  The ones I have are lightweight, so if it gets much colder, I'll have to layer them over something.  I do feel strange wearing the tights, but its 5:00 a.m. when I'm out.  Who the heck is going to see me?  (Tights are Champion C9's from Target and Starter's from Walmart.  Starter seems to be a little tighter and the   c9's a little stretchier.)

Awesome run man. I long for the day I get to 11 miles. 7 yesterday and hopefully I will add one or possibly the end of this week. I am concentrating on my run and swim right now. I am cutting the bike down a little for a few weeks. I got in an hour and a half in the pool at 6:am this morning. Nice smooth swim with a few balance and stroke drills. I am planning on swimming 5 days this week. Back in the water tomorrow morning.

Not brave enough for the tights yet. I am running in jogging pants and shorts when warm. I am sure its coming but I am not ready yet. Hahah

Wait until your first race in tri shorts.  No room for modesty.

2010-01-24 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2557655

User image

Regular
Great job on the run Ryan!!! Run/Walk is a great way to train.   I ran 6 miles today using the 4:1 run walk split and felt great at the end of the run also.  I used this method alot since I have started back runing seriously again since first part of November.  Like you said Ryan you think you will be slower over all because you are taking walk breaks but I guess because you stay more rested your runing splits are a bit faster and make up the differance.  I feel this is the way to do all your Long runs for sure they are ment to be long and easy to build endurance and arobic base so this meathod helps keep your HR in the lower zones. 

The new Nike Free 5.0 shoes felt great no problems at all. I ran on a combination of trails and concrete about 50/50 and they felt great on both surfaces.  I love how flexable they are.   If you dont over strid and have good runnign form (read CHI-Runnng) You will probably really like these shoes.   

I see a big Turkey cheese burger and a BEER in my near future. Have a good day all..
2010-01-24 2:59 PM

Dolores, CO
Tried my first attempt at a btick type work out did 15miles on an excercise bike and 2 mile run around the indoor track at the rec center. Felt ok but a bit tired after.

So the question here is what are people using for post workout nutrition to help there muscles recover.  As all I have been doing besides rehydrating(I sweat a lot) is trying to eat a fair meal whether it is breakfast or dinner.  I have seen some advise to get some type of recovery formula or shake or bar or something.

Also what do you consider a good prerace/preworkout nutrition/meal.  Trying to get a specific routine down for the preworkout meal so on an event day I can have some sort of routine.

Jonathan

PS. Great runs especially out in the cold.  I hate the cold. 
2010-01-24 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2631844

User image

Veteran
Tucson
William, I'm happy you like the Nike Free 5.0, me to.  I have mine on right now.  Aren't they awesome?  Gotta go, have a nice night.
2010-01-24 4:48 PM
in reply to: #2631869

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Way to go, I've yet to do a brick.  Good job.

2010-01-24 5:00 PM

User image

Regular
Nice job on that brick... 

Nutrition.  First think about your nutrition plan as a all day thing so your fueling your body every 3 or 4 hours with a small meal with some good healthy carbs & protein in each meal. 

Example:

6:00  4 eggbeaters & bowl of oatmeal
9:00 banana & cup of Cotage cheese
12:00 SUBWAY ovenroasted chicken brest on whole wheat w/all the vegies salt pepper and vinager
3:00 Banana & Muscle milk shake
6:00 workout
7:00 protein shake OR a glass of skim milk with protein powder in it
7:45 chicken brest brocoli and 1/2 cup of brown rice. 

I like to have at least 2 to 3 hours after a meal before I work out  so, I'm sure I dont run into gas or stomach issues.  If my run is 3 miles or shorter I will just take gatoraid with me and drink it when I'm finished.  I like to drink a protein shake Like "MUSCLE MILK" within the hour of completing the workout your body will absorb and use the carbs and protein to recover quickly the longer you wait less effictive it is.  The recovery nutrition will hold you over for a while and you can cool down shower and then eat a good meal like the ones I listed above. 

On longer runs that last an hour or more I take sports drink if it is hot and I'm gonna sweat alot and water otherwise.  I carry a couple of GU packs with me and usualy eat one at the half way point.  My longest run in a while has been 8 miles so I took it at 4 miles today my run was 6 and I took it at 3 miles.  As I get into longer distances I'll probably work them in every 45 minuets or so.
It sounds like you are on a good path.  In my honest opinion to may runners and endurance minded peopel eat WAYYY to many carbs and not NEARLY enough protein.  Protein is what your body uses to repair your muscles after a workout  & carbs are fuel, so keep plenty of both in your diet. 

Hope this helps.  Best of luck..

Edited by SAWFISH50 2010-01-24 5:02 PM
2010-01-24 5:18 PM

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
Jonkj - 2010-01-24 2:59 PMTried my first attempt at a btick type work out did 15miles on an excercise bike and 2 mile run around the indoor track at the rec center. Felt ok but a bit tired after.

So the question here is what are people using for post workout nutrition to help there muscles recover.  As all I have been doing besides rehydrating(I sweat a lot) is trying to eat a fair meal whether it is breakfast or dinner.  I have seen some advise to get some type of recovery formula or shake or bar or something.

Also what do you consider a good prerace/preworkout nutrition/meal.  Trying to get a specific routine down for the preworkout meal so on an event day I can have some sort of routine.

Jonathan

Ok, I am going to give you my 2 cents on nutrition. After soaking up all the good information from you guys over the past few weeks, maybe I an actually add something useful.

As far as food, you should eat as much natural food as possible. Though some supplements can give you nutrition more efficiently sometimes, the natural food will give you your best results. I do use a few supplements but I am using less and less each day.

I have a good friend who is a nutritionist and a fitness guru. He has helped me more the past year than anyone. Losing 90 pounds like I did takes more than just sweat. You get most of it in the kitchen. Not the gym..

Pre and Post workouts. Always fuel. Nothing can be more important. If you are going to do cardio workouts (bike, run, swim) you will need some good carbs in your first. Early in the day, there is no better clean carb than oatmeal. Not the individual packs but the tub. No sugar. The packs have sugar. IF you are a normal size guy, you need about one cup of cooked oatmeal. That being a half a cup of uncooked. I would eat this 30 mins before your workouts. I sometimes eat two servings of oatmeal every two hours in the morning since it is so easy to prepare when I am at work. Just put some oatmeal in a bowl and add hot water from the coffee maker. One pack of splenda and you are there. Add cinnamon if you want.

Post workout. When I do a long workout, I do use a recovery drink. I use the P90X recovery drink for a few reasons. It replaces the complex sugars you burn up, it also has L Glutamine and L Arginine which aid you in muscle recovery and keep you from being sore when you work out everyday. And last but not least, it taste good.

A natural way is to have a banana right after your workouts. I do this a lot when I do weight training. The banana does a lot of what the recovery drink does.

About an hour or so after your workouts, you need to eat. Your muscles are primed for nutrition and a fast digesting protein and good carb is the ticket. Baked chicken, fish or egg whites are perfect. As far as carbs, sweet potatoes or brown rice are also perfect. If you are lean, you could have white rice or regular potato.

This would be a sample day for me

5am - one cup of oatmeal

5:30am-7:00am - Ride bike or run on treadmill

7:10am - Recovery drink then shower

8:00 - one cup of oatmeal and 8 egg whites

10:30 - protein bar or nuts for a snack. YOu could also have a greatfruit

12:30 - 6 oz chicken breast and small sweet potato

3:00 - snack (nuts,protein bar, rice cake with natural peanut butter)

3:30 - 5:00 - workout - (run, bike ,swim, weight train)

5:10 - recovery drink (if you do weight training, whey protein shake is perfect after workout)

6:30 - Dinner - Fish, chicken and carb with veggy. beans or broccoli.

9:00 - Protein shake before bed. (Slow absorbing protein)

Basically, you need to feed yourself around your workouts. You also need to eat plenty. Most people don't eat enough food when they train. I don't.

Remember that you have about 45mins to a hour to feed your muscles after you workout. The timing is very important

Edited by LanierSpots 2010-01-24 5:20 PM

2010-01-24 5:23 PM
in reply to: #2631844

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
SAWFISH50 - 2010-01-24 2:33 PMGreat job on the run Ryan!!! Run/Walk is a great way to train.   I ran 6 miles today using the 4:1 run walk split and felt great at the end of the run also.  I used this method alot since I have started back runing seriously again since first part of November.  Like you said Ryan you think you will be slower over all because you are taking walk breaks but I guess because you stay more rested your runing splits are a bit faster and make up the differance.  I feel this is the way to do all your Long runs for sure they are ment to be long and easy to build endurance and arobic base so this meathod helps keep your HR in the lower zones. 

The new Nike Free 5.0 shoes felt great no problems at all. I ran on a combination of trails and concrete about 50/50 and they felt great on both surfaces.  I love how flexable they are.   If you dont over strid and have good runnign form (read CHI-Runnng) You will probably really like these shoes.   

I see a big Turkey cheese burger and a BEER in my near future. Have a good day all..

Thanks and I agree. The run/walk is going to be my deal since I am not that good of a runner and need to spend more time working on my swim. I guess you can say it is "heart rate control". Haha. After my run yesterday, I checked out my graph on the Garmin software. My heartrate graph looked good. Very consistent over the 7 miles I ran. It did move up just a bit as I got tired but in general, its kept the same routine throughout my workout

2010-01-24 5:25 PM
in reply to: #2631614

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
bwingate - 2010-01-24 11:50 AM

[/QUOTE

I am really thinking about a pair of compression shorts then putting my bike shorts on at T1. Removing the bike shorts at T2 and putting on some running shorts. Anyone see any danger in this? I dont want to swim in my bike shorts and I really think I am going to need them for a 57 mile bike ride. If not, m boys will not forgive me.

2010-01-24 5:33 PM
in reply to: #2632018

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
SAWFISH50 - 2010-01-24 5:00 PMNice job on that brick... 

Nutrition.  First think about your nutrition plan as a all day thing so your fueling your body every 3 or 4 hours with a small meal with some good healthy carbs & protein in each meal. 

Example:

6:00  4 eggbeaters & bowl of oatmeal
9:00 banana & cup of Cotage cheese
12:00 SUBWAY ovenroasted chicken brest on whole wheat w/all the vegies salt pepper and vinager
3:00 Banana & Muscle milk shake
6:00 workout
7:00 protein shake OR a glass of skim milk with protein powder in it
7:45 chicken brest brocoli and 1/2 cup of brown rice. 

I like to have at least 2 to 3 hours after a meal before I work out  so, I'm sure I dont run into gas or stomach issues.  If my run is 3 miles or shorter I will just take gatoraid with me and drink it when I'm finished.  I like to drink a protein shake Like "MUSCLE MILK" within the hour of completing the workout your body will absorb and use the carbs and protein to recover quickly the longer you wait less effictive it is.  The recovery nutrition will hold you over for a while and you can cool down shower and then eat a good meal like the ones I listed above. 

On longer runs that last an hour or more I take sports drink if it is hot and I'm gonna sweat alot and water otherwise.  I carry a couple of GU packs with me and usualy eat one at the half way point.  My longest run in a while has been 8 miles so I took it at 4 miles today my run was 6 and I took it at 3 miles.  As I get into longer distances I'll probably work them in every 45 minuets or so.
It sounds like you are on a good path.  In my honest opinion to may runners and endurance minded peopel eat WAYYY to many carbs and not NEARLY enough protein.  Protein is what your body uses to repair your muscles after a workout  & carbs are fuel, so keep plenty of both in your diet. 

Hope this helps.  Best of luck..

William, the only problem with eating so far before you workout is, it will be gone very fast and your body will start to use your muscle for food. You really need to eat within an hour your of workouts. That will keep you from burning up your muscle during your high intensity workouts.

Looks like you and I eat a lot of the same foods. I think we posted at the same time. Haha

Edited by LanierSpots 2010-01-24 5:35 PM

2010-01-24 6:32 PM

User image

Regular
I agree with what you said about eating within an hour of a work out... But, I dont think it is as critical or becomes an issue until you start pushing workouts that last well over an Hour.  At the point the workouts start going well over an hour I think workout nutrition startegy will become an important factor.  I have honestly considered expermenting with a clear protein mixed in about a 4 to 1 ratio with sports drink when I get to that point.  Something like Isopure protein powder... 4 parts carbs 1 part protein.  If you tolerate it well I think the protein during workouts will help speed recovery. 
Out side of workout or race nutrition I agree with you 100% about try and eat as much real Whole food as possible.   Your body has to work harder to process real food this combined with eating many small meals in a day speeds your metabolisim way up.  Supliments are usually in a much more easly digestable form and thus why they make such great pre and post workout nutrition. 
2010-01-24 8:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
Jonkj - 2010-01-24 3:59 PM Tried my first attempt at a btick type work out did 15miles on an excercise bike and 2 mile run around the indoor track at the rec center. Felt ok but a bit tired after.

Jonathan

Pre-workout, I just can't eat anything.  I feel too full and uncomfortable.  I need at least an hour after eating, maybe two, and with my usual morning runs, there's no way I'm getting up at 3:30 to have abagel.

Post-workout:  A light meal with some carbs and protein.  There's supposed to be some sort of perfect ratio, but that's too much to remember when I'm tired and hungry.  I avoid shakes and supplements, I'd rather just have real food.

To get the routine that works for you, you really have to play with it:  what sports drinks work for you, which gels/block/beans work for you, how much water do you need, and more importantly, what doesn't work for you and how much is too much.  For sprints and 10k's and shorter, you might not need any in-race nutrition and might be able to get away with a gel or a bagel & peanut butter before hand.  About 2/3 through a 10k, I like some water just to wet my mouth.

In-race nutrition takes more work than you would think to get right.  (I still remember the first time I tried drinking from a paper cup while running.  I didn't think it was possible to (1) get so much water on myself (2) get so little water in my mouth, and (3) nearly choke to death on almost no water.)
2010-01-24 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2632057

Extreme Veteran
LanierSpots - 2010-01-24 6:25 PM

[/QUOTE

I am really thinking about a pair of compression shorts then putting my bike shorts on at T1. Removing the bike shorts at T2 and putting on some running shorts. Anyone see any danger in this? I dont want to swim in my bike shorts and I really think I am going to need them for a 57 mile bike ride. If not, m boys will not forgive me.

My races have been oly's and sprints.  Taking the time to change is not really an option and then there's the question of where to change.  I don't like to pee in port-a-potties.  There's no way I'm going to wrestle into and out of spandex in one.  I don't know if there are changing tents for HIM's (and don't forget - nudity is against the USAT rules)

2010-01-25 4:23 AM
in reply to: #2632318

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
bwingate - 2010-01-24 8:19 PM

[/QUOTE

My races have been oly's and sprints.  Taking the time to change is not really an option and then there's the question of where to change.  I don't like to pee in port-a-potties.  There's no way I'm going to wrestle into and out of spandex in one.  I don't know if there are changing tents for HIM's (and don't forget - nudity is against the USAT rules)

No nudity.  I would always have my compression shorts on.   Is that against the rules? 
2010-01-25 6:28 AM
in reply to: #2632619

Extreme Veteran
LanierSpots - 2010-01-25 5:23 AM

No nudity.  I would always have my compression shorts on.   Is that against the rules? 

Its not against the rules (as far as I know, the only clothing rules are about wetsuits and no nudity).  The problem I see is that with two layers of clothing, there might be chafing and comfort issues.  Do you know if there are changing tents at your HIM (its a half right?)  If there are then the best thing to do is change from wetsuit/jammers to bike shorts to running shorts.  The right comfort for each sport.

2010-01-25 8:04 AM
in reply to: #2632650

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
bwingate - 2010-01-25 6:28 AM
LanierSpots - 2010-01-25 5:23 AM

Its not against the rules (as far as I know, the only clothing rules are about wetsuits and no nudity).  The problem I see is that with two layers of clothing, there might be chafing and comfort issues.  Do you know if there are changing tents at your HIM (its a half right?)  If there are then the best thing to do is change from wetsuit/jammers to bike shorts to running shorts.  The right comfort for each sport.

Thanks for the advice Bruce.  I guess this needs a lot more investigation for me.  I really need to go to a Tri shop and physically look at some of the clothing.  Then I will have a better understanding of what they are.  I am just a little lost right now but I have plenty of time for that. 

I have started a "Chcek sheet" though of all the good stuff I am picking up here.  And one of them is "transition stuff".  It always helps me to plan way ahead. 

Back in the pool again this mornig.  I am getting a little better and cutting through the water as I work on my stroke but I think I will get a little help.  There is a pretty good stroke coach here at the lifetime fitness and I think I will let him work with me for a month.  Its not extremely expensive and I am sure it will help me tons.  I will let you know how it goes.  Looks like I will be spending a bunch of time in that pool..  The lake should warm up enough in early May for me to do my last three weeks of swim training in the open water.  If its still cold, I will just have to man up and get it done.  I have tried to swim from place to place in the lake and I know its no where as easy as the pool. 

I have decided to do the ING 1/2 marathon in late March now.  I will sign up today.  I think it will be a great even to do since I have not run a event like that before.  I have 8 more weeks to train and should be ready for it.   I will have a time goal in mind but it will not be fast.  Just steady and get it done.  Looking forward to that.

2010-01-25 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2632650

Dolores, CO
The only suggestion I can give on the compression shorts is try it put them on and your cycling shorts and use them for a short ride if they feel ok then try them on an extended ride.  If you start get chaffing on the either ride look into one of the antichafing lubes, and try again.  So if you are going to race this way do some practice runs with the equipment and clothing that you are going to use in the race.

Shorts, bibs or trisuit what works best for people?
2010-01-25 11:06 AM

Dolores, CO
Six miles today first time I have run more than 5 miles in probably close to 20 years.  Felt good but the back of my left ankle is a bit sore now. 

On a different note I went out and bought a new ride, an 09 Fuji as soon as I find the cable for my camera I will try to post a pic.

Jonathan
2010-01-25 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2633268

User image

Regular
Jonkj - 2010-01-25 11:06 AM Six miles today first time I have run more than 5 miles in probably close to 20 years.  Felt good but the back of my left ankle is a bit sore now. 

On a different note I went out and bought a new ride, an 09 Fuji as soon as I find the cable for my camera I will try to post a pic.

Jonathan

GIve that ankle a day or two of rest before you go back out and bang on it again. 

Congrats on the new bike cant wait for the pics. 
2010-01-25 11:55 AM

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
Jonkj - 2010-01-25 11:06 AM Six miles today first time I have run more than 5 miles in probably close to 20 years.  Felt good but the back of my left ankle is a bit sore now. 

Jonathan

Nice run.  Hope the ankle is OK.  Maybe a little rest and attention.  When I run, I always get a sore hip flexor.  I am trying some stretching exercises to loosen it up.  

I got in a short run at lunch today.  Right at 3 miles keeping less than my 10/min mile threshold.  That seems to be my goal for running.  I was a little more tired than usual after swimming and hour and a half early this morning.  I really dont think I am getting enough sleep.  I have always been a 5 hour per night guy.  Training myself to get 7 a night has been tough.  

Thanks for all the suggestions on the clothing.  I have found some Tri-shops in my area and I am planning on driving by them this saturday so I can phsically see some of the options.  I am going to try my best to do the Tri suit since so many reccomend it.   I will let you know how it goes.

Congrats on the new bike Jonathan

2010-01-25 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Sweet, 09 Fuji!! 
2010-01-25 5:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
I recomend to to swim in what you're going to ride and run in.  That's my opinion.  I wouldn't be changing in T1 or T2, not bottems at least.  I bought some Zoot Tri shorts at TriSports.  I'll swim in them and use them on the ride and run.  I guess it's what you feel comfortable in.  I've been swimming in Nike running shorts for the last year.  These new Zoot shorts are awesome.  No drag, comfortable and fit well.  I didn't buy the matching top though (for pool also) because I'm still loosing weight.  I want to wait a week or two before the sprint to buy my top.  My sprint is March 21st in Tucson, Ooohrah.

Glad everyone's doing well and training hard!
Semper Fi!
2010-01-26 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2634110

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Masi 68 - 2010-01-25 6:28 PM I recomend to to swim in what you're going to ride and run in.  That's my opinion.  I wouldn't be changing in T1 or T2, not bottems at least.  I bought some Zoot Tri shorts at TriSports.  I'll swim in them and use them on the ride and run.  I guess it's what you feel comfortable in.  I've been swimming in Nike running shorts for the last year.  These new Zoot shorts are awesome.  No drag, comfortable and fit well.  I didn't buy the matching top though (for pool also) because I'm still loosing weight.  I want to wait a week or two before the sprint to buy my top.  My sprint is March 21st in Tucson, Ooohrah.

Glad everyone's doing well and training hard!
Semper Fi!

You guys all ROCK! I was out of town last week and just swamped this weekend and have been unable to really focus on posting.

so, as for clothing I HIGHLY recommend a few things:

1)  No surprises (re: don't do anything new) on race day...so, basically race in what you train in....
2)  If possible, NO changes of clothing at transition. Bike/Run in what you swim in. (exactly right Masi 68)
3)  You can wear your tri clothing under your wetsuit...of course. (seems obvious but you never know)
4)  If you are just wearing your compression/tri shorts for the swim, make sure you either 'pre-pin' your race number to your shirt or get a race belt. (race belt is an elastic band that you can attach your race number too and just wrap it around your waist after you get off the bike and head out for the run..I have one and it's very convienent.)

Other than that, wear what is comfortable and please NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY! You'll end up chafing or being miserable....goes for anything tri related..helmet, bike, shoes, etc, etc.

Phil
2010-01-26 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2633399

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
.  I am going to try my best to do the Tri suit since so many reccomend it.   I will let you know how it goes.

Tri suit is great...one piece for all three events...just be sure to get a race belt (elastic band) to pin your run number too...then you just hop off the bike, toss on the running shoes, clip on the belt and away you go!

Oh, and be sure to train in it a few times to make sure you identify any potential discomfort areas.....

Phil
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010! Rss Feed  

of 35