BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2009-12-30 6:17 PM
in reply to: #2581670

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

M -

I finally got around to going to the website for P90X ("www.beachbody.com"??? Although the guy and gal they have on the main page certainly have what could generously be called beach bodies!)

There really is a lot of variety there, so you're hitting most of the major and minor groups of just about every part of your body, it seems! Are you supposed to do them in the order in which they are numbered, or are you kind of allowed to jump around? Also, are they like some of cycling tapes (i.e., Spinervals) in that many people find it very difficult to make it through many of the sessions? Finally, are there options for when you get really proficient at one workout, say, Core Synergistics, and want to rachet things up a notch or two?

Daughter Jane told me that her boyfriend knows P90X quite well, and finds it quite challenging. And seeing as how he is obviously a fine judge of human character , I'm inclined to trust his opinion of P90X!

2009-12-30 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2581930

User image

Champion

STEVE A -

Despite your heartfelt plea for me to forego a cell phone, I did it. Or rather, we did it - Lynn got the Blackberry, I got my first-ever cell phone.

But have no fear! Remember, I'm retired, so nobody wants me for anything. My phone will not be a leash, and really nothing more than a call-out emergency device. We don't even have an answering machine on our land-land, and our computer is dial-up, so most people who try to call us have just given up. Consequently, there is hardly anyone who phones me. Ever.

Ah, it's a lonely life being a Luddite in the Information Age!

2009-12-30 6:34 PM
in reply to: #2582728

User image

Champion

ARTHUR -

I will look into the New Balance for you. If the 801 is what I'm thinking it is, it's the stability trainer - sort of their equivalent to the DS Trainer. And if so, I had a pair of the ancestors a few years ago, ones that were royal blue. Good shoes. Low profile, minimum heel-drop.

The Newtons are definitely a midfoot/forfoot shoe, but if you are "there" already, any shoe will work. Newtons ENCOURAGE it and I truly love everything about the way they feel, from fit to performance, but I can work the same biomechanics in any other running shoe that is suitable for me.

If you're getting 450 miles out of the DS 15, you're doing great, I think. Can I ask what you weigh - roughly? I can get many more miles out of my running shoes than I do, but I tend to retire them early, just in case. (Kind of like printing ink - replace them well before they have a chance to fail.)

And back to the Newtons, break in is phenomenal - it's like the break-in capability was factory-installed. Admittedly, though, DS Trainers were always pretty good that way, and some of the Saucony models I mentioned, especially Type A2 and Fasttwitch, were also quick off the mark. Tangents were okay, mostly good, but the Sinister took a few runs for the plate in them to loosen up, or whatever it actually had to do to provide a smooth (for lack of a better term) ride.

I'll get back to you about the 800/801.

2009-12-30 6:45 PM
in reply to: #2582837

User image

Champion

DARREN -

Great comments about logs, especially #1. I will refer eveyone to that in the next post. That might be the ideal incentive for people to start using the BT logs.

In two places - middle of #1, most of #2, you talk about wnating the graphs to keep getting bigger, or to always increase. That is somewhat understandable, but maybe the best way to rid yourself of this is to relaize that not all training is linear, and neither are the results. If they were, we would all be turning pro after a serious season or two!

How familiar are you with Periodization and the whole idea of planning an entire season, or a full year? Let me know, and I'll respond further.

Finally, there is some middle ground between not wnating to do anything if you can't dothe 30km, and doing a 10km instead. You don't want to be doing "junk miles" just for the sake of doing miles, so that's a reason to pas on anything if you can't do 30km. However, the middle ground is in doing something more focused and specific with your shorter runs, as opposed to just knocking off an "easy" 10km. How often do you incorporate speedwork or intervals or even fartleks in your training? Aagin, let me know and I will respond further. But there cetainly ARE ways to make your shorter runs meaningful and justify doing them when you don't have the time or energy to do your looooong runs.

2009-12-30 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2585156

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
stevebradley - 2009-12-30 6:45 PM

How familiar are you with Periodization and the whole idea of planning an entire season, or a full year? Let me know, and I'll respond further.

Steve
I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions on periodization. Specifically, is there a "Periodization for Dummies"? I have the Triathlon Training Bible and while it is a great resource, I also feel overwhelmed by it.
Thanks, Mark
2009-12-30 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2585156

User image

Champion
Calgary
stevebradley - 2009-12-30 5:45 PM

DARREN -

Great comments about logs, especially #1. I will refer eveyone to that in the next post. That might be the ideal incentive for people to start using the BT logs.

In two places - middle of #1, most of #2, you talk about wnating the graphs to keep getting bigger, or to always increase. That is somewhat understandable, but maybe the best way to rid yourself of this is to relaize that not all training is linear, and neither are the results. If they were, we would all be turning pro after a serious season or two!

Finally, there is some middle ground between not wnating to do anything if you can't dothe 30km, and doing a 10km instead. You don't want to be doing "junk miles" just for the sake of doing miles, so that's a reason to pas on anything if you can't do 30km. However, the middle ground is in doing something more focused and specific with your shorter runs, as opposed to just knocking off an "easy" 10km. How often do you incorporate speedwork or intervals or even fartleks in your training? Aagin, let me know and I will respond further. But there cetainly ARE ways to make your shorter runs meaningful and justify doing them when you don't have the time or energy to do your looooong runs.

Congrats on your anniversary.

I have read Jack Daniels and parts of the Lore of Running so I know a bit about periodization and speed training. Have never really trained that way though as I have always felt that I would benefit more by slow volume that required less rest than grueling interval or threshold sessions that left me too sore (and I felt risked injury) to go out the next day. I did try a shorter run on Christmas Eve and got out 4 Yasso intervals because I had less time and really just wanted to hang out at home, but then my motivation suffered, but it was a good workout anyways.

2009-12-30 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2585119

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-23 7:36 PM
2009-12-30 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2585204

User image

Boulder, Colorado

TriD64 - 2009-12-30 6:20 PM
stevebradley - 2009-12-30 6:45 PM How familiar are you with Periodization and the whole idea of planning an entire season, or a full year? Let me know, and I'll respond further.
Steve I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions on periodization. Specifically, is there a "Periodization for Dummies"? I have the Triathlon Training Bible and while it is a great resource, I also feel overwhelmed by it. Thanks, Mark

Check this out - wrote it a while ago, but its still relevant:

http://www.d3multisport.com/blog/index.php/what-does-periodization-mean-and-how-doe 

2009-12-30 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Steve, congrats on the anniversary! Hope everyone got off save and sound.

Anne and Kasia, my goal is to get an olympic distance race in this season as well. The problem is, the only one in my area (Steve, that would be Lone Star) is the last week in April, the week before a sprint tri which I told my niece's fiance I would do with him (it would be his first).  Now would be a good time to do the olympic because I have my run base up from training for my half marathons. My husband is planning on doing the MS 150 the week before the olympic race, so I can get my biking in doing training rides with him.  And I'll get my swimming in through the Masters Swim Team I'll be joining after the middle of January. Just not sure what to do.

Denies, dress warm for your run. This summer we had the other extreme, the entire summer ... 95+ degrees still at 9pm.  It was a rough summer.

Diane, do you have any ideas on what races you might be looking at? Lots of good ones to choose from around the Dallas area. Good job on the 3 miles!

M, my nieces have all done the P90X program and really enjoyed the variability in it.

I got a 3 1/2 mile run in my new Nike Vomero 4s last night (thanks Santa) and they felt great. Guess I'll try another 3 miles tomorrow, 6 on Saturday, and see if I think I'll be comfortable enough in them for my half on 1/10. I've been wearing Nike Max Moto 6s and never had any problems breaking them in, so keeping my fingers crossed. In between, I was fitted at my running store in a pair of Saucony Ride 2s and never was able to run in them comfortably. I think I'm really going to like the Vomero's.

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.  I'm off work now until Monday and looking forward to it.

Lisa L
2009-12-31 2:54 AM

Steve!

Thank you for your reply. I weigh 152Lbs at the moment (69kg). The new balances are actually called MR800, they are for midfoot strikers apparently. As Portugal is kind of a desert in terms of quality running shoes, I order mine from the UK over the net. Of course if a pair doesn't work at all, I can always send it back, but I'd rather do a bit of research to avoid the hassle.

By the way, thank you so much for your amazing effort in keeping this forum going over the holiday, and a belated congratulations on your anniversary. I am really impressed with your dedication to all of us.

When and if you have a breather, I'd really appreciate if you could recommend one or two good tri books.

Arthur

Edited by Hepeoc 2009-12-31 7:11 AM
2009-12-31 7:35 AM

Master
Kitchener
That P90X program looks really good and as they suggest, definitely not for the weak at heart.    There are alot of good resources out there for everyone, beginners to advanced, young (like me, Laughing) and even younger.  

I have been using something called Core Performance by Mark Verstegen; one of the earliest programs that was touted to be 'The revolutionary workout progam to transform your body and life'.   The exercises in any given program change every 3 weeks and are also different day to day during that 3 week cycle.    It is used by alot of pro athletes in all fields.

Came across it by accident years ago with a personal trainer and had no idea that it was this program; until I was in a gym in Mexico on vacation one year and saw another girl doing the same stuff.   Found out they had a book on it and also an online training program complete with detailed videos on proper execution of the exercises.    It is a 'full service' site, full of useful info and I love it.    When I stick to it, the results are amazing.  

We have full gym set up at home with my computer close by so it works well for me.   But I am sure some day I will want to move on to something else and will defintely check out the P90X.     The website is:   www.coreperformance.com  if anyone wants to check it out.  

Anne

2009-12-31 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2585395

Master
Kitchener
lufferly - 2009-12-30 10:15 PM
I got a 3 1/2 mile run in my new Nike Vomero 4s last night (thanks Santa) and they felt great. Guess I'll try another 3 miles tomorrow, 6 on Saturday, and see if I think I'll be comfortable enough in them for my half on 1/10.
Lisa L

I am SO envious of your running.   Something that doesn't seem to be in the stars for me.    Hope you have a great race on the 10th and enjoy your time off this weekend.

Anne
2009-12-31 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2585772

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-23 7:37 PM
2009-12-31 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2585395

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-23 7:38 PM
2009-12-31 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2585898

Master
Kitchener
midlifeinsanity - 2009-12-31 9:30 AM
We have a lot of gym equipment as well.  Somehow the whole family has had a light bulb moment and the equipment is getting used for something other than a clothesline!  Woo hoo! 

M

That's too funny!   We thought it would be a great idea to have a massage table.   Turns out it's a laundry table!   Laughing

Anne

2009-12-31 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
ARTHUR:

I just wanted to THANK you for the swimming tip of keeping one goggle in the water when you come up to breathe. I've been keeping that in my head all week as I've been in the pool and it's been such a great help! It's really making my swim feel a lot more relaxed.

Tracey

2009-12-31 10:38 AM

User image

Well, it's time to find a garage sale I think - to find a cheap TV - for the garage.  I ride the trainer in the garage out back, and apparently kept the wife up all morning yesterday.  LOL.  Music was too loud, and apparently she heard my lungs bursting as I was doing my Z4 work.  I fear that now I must keep the garage door closed when I'm riding in the morning for her and the neighbors.  Not that there was that much to look at with the door open, but just being able to see outside is helpful when trying to make the minutes go by.  Now, I'm down to staring at the garage door and the computer on the bike for entertainment.

Hopefully, we get off work early today for NYE.  I'm looking forward to getting my run in this afternoon, while there is some light out still, and not having to look like a Christmas tree while running.  Normally, I have solid lights in front of me, blinking red ones on my backside, reflective straps on the wrists, reflective fuel belt.  I don't think spring can get here fast enough!
2009-12-31 12:43 PM
in reply to: #2585316

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
mikericci - 2009-12-30 8:45 PM

Check this out - wrote it a while ago, but its still relevant:

http://www.d3multisport.com/blog/index.php/what-does-periodization-mean-and-how-doe 

Mike
Thanks for that link, it helped clarify the purpose of each period/phase. What suggestions do you have for simple instructions for developing a periodization plan - identifying your starting point and then determining your workouts for each period.
Thanks, Mark
2009-12-31 3:34 PM

User image

Happy New Year everyone.  Have a safe and fun one. 

Remember:
Beer tonight = carb loading for Saturday's long ride
Don't drink and ride, unless it's on your trainer - but still, wear a helmet!
Drink a glass or two of your favorite electrolyte replacement drink before going to bed - works wonders.
You should take at least one rest day per week, might as well be tomorrow.
2009-12-31 4:18 PM
in reply to: #2586290

User image

Champion

With kids departed and Lynn off a cross-contry ski trip until Sunday afternoon, I'm left almost completely to my own devices. And with about 25 posts here to respond to, I think I know where much of my energy will be spent!

But as I've said before, you all play really well together, so things have been rolling along in my general absence. This is good! We are a group (more like a collective?) of 20*, so there is ample amounts of support and insights to go around - which is what has happened so far. It only took you all a few weeks to become a perpetual motion machine!

* A Flux-20? Ken ("shunshun") hasn't reappeared after his first post, although I'm hoping he just got swamped with holiday stuff. Lisa A ("hooslisa") wrote me over at the other group to say that she will just stick there, as her life is complicated enough for '10 without having to keep up with all the happenings here. On the other hand, Mike Ricci can be counting on, it seems, to make the odd stealth appearance, so I guess he is part of the group -- maybe emeritus status?

2009-12-31 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2586290

User image

Champion

STEVE A -

"I don't think spring can get here fast enough."

Coming from a Californian who swims once a week at Malibu, you will get minimal support from those of us north of a line that extends from Malibu to Miami! Well, I guess it's all relative, so I will strain my sensibilities and extend heartfelt sympathies to you. I will also offer to switch houses for a month or two anytime from the beginning of December to the end of March -- an offe I cannot refuse!

But I really do feel your pain about having a lousy environment in a cold and barren garage. I canset up my trainer and rollers in front of the TV, but the CompuTrainer is stuck with being in the computer room, which is a fairly depressing setting. I would be much more inclined to use the CT if we could find a nicer spot for it, but that is not as easy as it sounds. So it goes.....

2009-12-31 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2586538

User image

Champion

MARK -

A few years ago when I was a functional D3 athlete myself, I saw Mike's piece on periodization -- but had fforgooten about it until now. I will have to go back to that myself!

I'm glad he responded with a direct link to an explanation, as I spent no small amount of time since your post to mentally draft what I was going to say about it. I posted a piece last winter to my other group, and that took forever to do (and there are no guarantee that it is understandable! )

Seeing as how you addressed your most recent question to Mike, I'll wait a day or two to see if he responds; otherwise, I'll have a crack at it.

Your line about "Periodization for Dummies" is good -- and for many people oh-so-true. Joe Friel is a genius who generally has a knack for explaining things with crystal clarity, but somehow periodization defies that. When I did the USAT Level One coaching clinic a few years ago, I was astounded by how much confusion there was whenever periodization came up. The questions came fast and furious, and each answer generated a discussion that only resulted in more confusion. It was quite something!

I taught forever and can explain many things quite well -- but good old periodization is not one of them. I feel like a medieval knight girding his loins (and everything else) to prepare for battle, in that I really have to do the prep and get firtified before I try to explain it. So, don't feel bad that it has not come easily to you when you have pored over The Triathlete's Training Bible!

2009-12-31 4:41 PM
in reply to: #2586833

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
SAquavia - 2009-12-31 4:34 PM

Happy New Year everyone.  Have a safe and fun one. 

Remember:
Beer tonight = carb loading for Saturday's long ride
Don't drink and ride, unless it's on your trainer - but still, wear a helmet!
Drink a glass or two of your favorite electrolyte replacement drink before going to bed - works wonders.
You should take at least one rest day per week, might as well be tomorrow.

I will probably be in bed by 10:30 tonight.

2009-12-31 4:48 PM
in reply to: #2585927

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-23 7:38 PM
2009-12-31 4:50 PM

Master
Kitchener
STEVE,

Good to have you back.   You've been missed!    I have lots of questions that have arisen from reading the contributions from our group over the past few days.   Am really learning alot.  

I decided to go out strong for 2009 and do a swim, bike and run.   

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU!! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276