BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-03-03 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2578675

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!

I'm glad some of you are getting outside for a run! It is getting nicer here so maybe this weekend! Still too much snow/ice on sidewalks to run in the dark!

I have been putting some thoughts together on some running advice that my help some of you out!  I'll try to get it posted in the next day or so!

2010-03-03 9:36 PM
in reply to: #2705498

User image

Welllington, NZ
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
geoffgm - 2010-03-04 9:48 AM For March my goal is not miss any workouts!

Geoff, that is a good goal! I know probably few of us are able to achieve all our training sessions - i managed mine last week for only the 2nd time in 9 weeks - it felt good but it also reminded me that the other 7 weeks were 'incomplete' (as far as tri training is concerned). That's ok though, life pops up and takes priority sometimes but other times it's just lethargy - which is not so good!

Good luck!

Lewis.
2010-03-04 7:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
You guys are all doing great, sounds like.  Progress not perfection.  Stay positive. 

I've been running outside when I can all winter.  Not too snowy or icy or frigid, I go out.  Tights are great.  I also have a North Face jacket that is great, thin yet warm.  

I got to run the third time last night in the club's program to rev up intermediate to advanced runners.  I am very intermediate, believe me.  I had an option to go with a group from last year with members who are pretty much satisfied where they are or step up to a faster group.  I chose the faster and kept with them in 5.5 miles of tempo drills.   Ran a 9:30 pace overall, which for a workout is great for me.  It came after an hour of a recovery spin on the bike so I was even happier.  Running with faster people will make me faster.

This morning, more pool work. 1750 yards of trying to incorporate Total Immersion, getting my head down, turning, bilateral breathing and stretching out like you guys are talking about.  It really helps.  I just imagine myself doing yoga stretches toward the sun, I think it's called "Salute the Sun."   The visualization helps me stay long in the water.  The catch up drills that ken described really help.  If you aren't feeling balances, chances are you might not be turning as much at the core as they want.  That's what it was with me.  Until I saw a video, I had no idea they meant THAT much twist.  The TI book for Triathletes suggested to imagine my belly button as a third eye and turn enough from side to side to let that third eye see the side of the pool. 

Also, I got into that swimming clinic on Saturday on open water swimming.  I'll take notes.  The teacher is a open water champion from Hawaii who is living in Illinois.  Obviously she is crazy, but I think she will have good advice.

As for motivation to stay on track, one for me is to do something definitive to show other recovering alcoholics (21 years for that); recovering fat folks (5 years on that) and recovering cancer survivors (3.5 years for that) that they can recover and be strong.  Having a grander purpose in mind helps drag me out of bed.  I saw the same suggestion in several articles and books.  Maybe you can compete to raise money for a cause that is important to you.  I use LiveSTRONG. Team in Training does Leukemia.  There are others out there.

Another is I pay out money for a coach.  Not everyone needs one or should pay for one, but some investment is good.  I get up in the morning knowing I'm putting my money where my mouth is and I don't have a lot of extra.  So, why waste it?

Third, having an A race scheduled in the future keeps it real.  Half IM, Labor Day weekend.  It will come whether I am ready or not.  I want to be ready.

And lastly, my first motivation is to be the best me I can be.  That means a balance between workouts, work and family with an attempt to make it all fun no matter what I'm doing.

Have a great day.  Learning a lot here.  Getting good motivation.

2010-03-04 6:39 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
Hey Everyone,

With Ken's permission, I'm going to join in this group! Ken is a fellow WNY'er (lives about 1.5 hrs from me in Buffalo) so I only found it fitting!

Here is my intro, looking forward to getting to know everyone.

NAME: Ryan Knapp

STORY: I'm 26yrs old, lived in Buffalo most of my life, except for when I lived in Spain for 4 months and 1 year respectively.  I run my own soccer business (www.bflofutsal.com and www.statzpack.com) amongst other soccer related activities. I'm 6'2 190lbs.

I decided soccer and other sports wasn't enough and needed a new challenge, thus why I'm here doing Tri.  I knew I wanted something different, and boy did I find it. 

FAMILY: Married to my wife Renae since Oct 10, 2009.  She is a phD student at University of Buffalo finishing her dissertation in Behavioral Neuroscience (she's a smartie). We have a shetland sheepdog named Ella who will be 2 in April.

TRAINING: When I started I signed on with Jeff Klien (www.prsfit.com) and he has helped me through my training thusfar.  I am a firm believer in getting a coach when starting something new if at all possible, thus my decision.  He plans my routines as well as my nutrition (when I actually do the log for that).

SWIM TRAINING: I swim around 2700m M W and F.  Varying distances and sets.  My cousin is a DI swimmer and she is in the pool with me twice a week to help me work on my stroke. My problems are with reaching and being long in the pool and keeping my elbows high.

BIKE TRAINING: I bike 2-3 times a week. Saturday is my long bikeride (last weekend was 2.5 hrs at 95 rpm cadence). I just got new pedals put on and new shoes, so my bike is feeling nice.  Can't get outside in buffalo yet.

RUN TRAINING: I do 3-4 runs a week. Did my first actual race a month ago, which was a 5k. Ran that in 21:45.  Doing a 8k on March 6th and will be continuing my run training.  Train in various heart rate zones and distances. My long runs are on sunday and I'm up to around 10 miles increasing by a mile or so each week.

OTHER TRAINING: I still play soccer, volleyball, basketball, softball and hockey whenever possible, so plenty of cross training.

INJURIES: I have had surgery twice on my right ankle. Once was in 2002 to remove bone chips and in 2007 I had Brostroms and arthoscopy to repair 2 torn ligaments and also remove scar tissue.  Recovery is normally 6 months but I was back on the soccer pitch 87 days later.  No other major injuries.

MEDICAL: I have EIA (exercise induced asthma) which I use an inhaler for especially when running indoors.  Also have had some minor surgeries and a gallbladder removed in 1998 when I was 16.  I'm also blind in my right eye since birth (amalyopia). 

2010 EVENTS:

FOCUS: August 22 - Sebagoman half ironman in Harrison, NY.  Other tri's and races in the middle. Going to attempt the Tough Mudder run first week in May, we'll see how that fits in with my training.

GOALS: I want to win, something, anything. And not something that everyone gets.  When I train, I train hard, and I want to be able to look back and say, yeah, I did that.  Only the sky is the limit!

Looking forward to getting to know you all.  Took an hour to read the last previous pages, looks like a great group here, definitely excited.

Thanks.

Edited by ryanknapp 2010-03-04 6:45 PM
2010-03-04 8:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Ryan, good to "see" you.  I'm glad Ken opened the group up so we could get an infusion of new people doing the work. 

On the earlier topic, Active.com just posted this article on choosing a beginning triathlon program.

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/How_to_choose_a_beginner-friendly_triathlon_training_program.htm?act=AFC-SocialMedia&Property=Active&Sport=Triathlon&PageType=Content_Articles&Emp=SA&PostType=Social_Network_Wall&Site=FacebookPage&Dy=03_04_10&Note=How_to_choose_a_beginner-friendly_triathlon_training_program&utm_source=sendible&utm_medium=feed

Edited by IceManScott 2010-03-04 8:30 PM
2010-03-04 8:48 PM

User image

Welcome Ryan! I'm impressed with your athletic background. Congrats on doing your first 5K this year and good luck on this weekend's 8K. Looks like you jump into things with both feet - doing a half ironman this summer - WoW!! Good for you - I like your competitive drive. Hopefully you'll love the challenge of doing triathlons. I don't think you'll learn any thing from me by being part of this group, but I'll encourage you from time to time. Again, welcome and congrats on your recent marriage.

2010-03-05 4:05 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Welcome to the group Ryan!  I'm glad you decided to join us!!!

Maybe with the swim help you are getting you can add to the swim conversations we've been having!

That is a fast first 5k time!  What other races are you doing this year?

Edited by kenj 2010-03-05 4:25 AM
2010-03-05 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2708975

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
I'm doing the Shamrock Run (8k) tomorrow. Then I'm doing the Tough Mudder Endurance Race on May 2, Fly by Night Dualathlon in Watkins Glen on May 29th and for sure A Tri in the Buff on July 3rd and the 1/2 ironman on August 22. I have a few options in between there, but up to my coach what he thinks.

As for swimming, I'll definitely contribute to the conversation.  I just got out of my swim today, my workout was.
    400 warm up
    10x50 swim smooth w/:15 rest
    3x150 pull w/:40 rest (3/5/7 breathing pattern)
    2 x [6x25 drill w/:15 rest
    3x50 build w/:30 rest
    100 easy swim w/:30 rest]
    100 cool down
    *2300 Total*
 The main things for me to focus on are 

1) The kick - not to overkick, but my swims are pretty much a pull, so my cousin has me force kick a certain number of times for each 25, which makes me think about it and do it.  

2) Elongating my stroke - when I first started swimming I put my hands in the water way too close to my head, thus shortening the amt of distance I had to catch and pull.  I've really worked on making my stroke longer and putting my hands into the water further in front of my head.  To do this, I work on a zip-up/fingertip drag drill that forces me to have a high elbow and to place my hand as far as possible infront of my head when I enter the water.  (I can explain the drill if anyone else wants to know it).  

3)  Breating - I sometimes forget to exhale underwater and I do the breathout/breathin at the same time above water, NOT good at all.  So, to make sure I force myself to breath out underwater I change my breathing from 3/5 once in a while to give myself a different focus. For my asthma my preferred breathing is on 3, but I can do 5 and up to 7 for a short time.  

What is everyone else working on in terms of swimming?

2010-03-05 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2709401

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ryanknapp - 2010-03-05 9:58 AM I'm doing the Shamrock Run (8k) tomorrow. Then I'm doing the Tough Mudder Endurance Race on May 2, Fly by Night Dualathlon in Watkins Glen on May 29th and for sure A Tri in the Buff on July 3rd and the 1/2 ironman on August 22. I have a few options in between there, but up to my coach what he thinks.

As for swimming, I'll definitely contribute to the conversation.  I just got out of my swim today, my workout was.

400 warm up
    100 cool down
    *2300 Total*

1) The kick - not to overkick, but my swims are pretty much a pull, so my cousin has me force kick a certain number of times for each 25, which makes me think about it and do it.  

2) Elongating my stroke - when I first started swimming I put my hands in the water way too close to my head, thus shortening the amt of distance I had to catch and pull.  I've really worked on making my stroke longer and putting my hands into the water further in front of my head.  To do this, I work on a zip-up/fingertip drag drill that forces me to have a high elbow and to place my hand as far as possible infront of my head when I enter the water.  (I can explain the drill if anyone else wants to know it).  

3)  Breating - I sometimes forget to exhale underwater and I do the breathout/breathin at the same time above water, NOT good at all.  So, to make sure I force myself to breath out underwater I change my breathing from 3/5 once in a while to give myself a different focus. For my asthma my preferred breathing is on 3, but I can do 5 and up to 7 for a short time.  

I am working on a lot of the same things you are, and that was a good explanation of what you are doing!  I like the finger tip drill, we have talked about the catch up drill (which is a very good one), and I like the fist drill (swim with your hand in a fist, helps to feel the arm pull).  I am a typical triathlete swimmer in that I don't kick enough, but I have been cured of my pull bouy addiction!

This morning I focused on form, but something someone (I think it was Scott) mention earlier was hip rotation and getting the belly button pointed towards the side.   It was really apparent I hadn't been rotating enough as my stroke smoothed out, my times improved, but most importantly I worked less to accomplish more!  Some of it was doing shorter sets, but I am sure the hip rotation really helped.

Your advice Ryan on remembering to exhale is important.

THanks!!!

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ryanknapp - 2010-03-05 9:58 AM I'm doing the Shamrock Run (8k) tomorrow. Then I'm doing the Tough Mudder Endurance Race on May 2, Fly by Night Dualathlon in Watkins Glen on May 29th and for sure A Tri in the Buff on July 3rd and the 1/2 ironman on August 22. I have a few options in between there, but up to my coach what he thinks.

400 warm up
    100 cool down
    *2300 Total*

I am working on a lot of the same things you are, and that was a good explanation of what you are doing!  I like the finger tip drill, we have talked about the catch up drill (which is a very good one), and I like the fist drill (swim with your hand in a fist, helps to feel the arm pull).  I am a typical triathlete swimmer in that I don't kick enough, but I have been cured of my pull bouy addiction!

This morning I focused on form, but something someone (I think it was Scott) mention earlier was hip rotation and getting the belly button pointed towards the side.   It was really apparent I hadn't been rotating enough as my stroke smoothed out, my times improved, but most importantly I worked less to accomplish more!  Some of it was doing shorter sets, but I am sure the hip rotation really helped.

THanks!!!

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

400 warm up
    100 cool down
    *2300 Total*

THanks!!!

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

400 warm up
    100 cool down
    *2300 Total*

THanks!!!

2010-03-05 10:05 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

400 warm up
    100 cool down
    *2300 Total*

Thanks!!!

2010-03-05 10:05 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

400 warm up
    100 cool down
    *2300 Total*

Thanks!!!

2010-03-05 10:06 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

400 warm up
    100 cool down
    *2300 Total*

Thanks!!!

2010-03-05 10:08 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

LOL!  I don't know what happened, but when I tried to submit the last post it gave me an error! I tried a couple more times than gave up!  I came back to try again and here it is several times!

Sorry about the unintentional multi postings!

2010-03-05 1:25 PM

User image

Welllington, NZ
Yea, welcome Ryan - sounds like you're going to add a lot to the group! Look forward to seeing some more posts as we go!

Lewis.
2010-03-05 1:52 PM
in reply to: #2709627

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
kenj - 2010-03-05 10:06 AM

400 warm up
    100 cool down
    *2300 Total*

Thanks!!!

Hip rotation is definitely important.  A lot of it comes from a good core (so I'm told) but also remembering to rotate your hips and belly button to get the best form.

When I did my pulls today I purposely focused on rotating as if I was on my side, it helped somewhat, but after a while I could tell I wasn't used io it and got tired pretty quick.

Another drill that my cousin makes me do is called the shark fin drill.  Here is video showing kinda what I do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8X1Vr6hgmA

Except in this case I do the shark fin for a count of 6, then rotate sides throughout the 25.  

My original thought was 'I have to swim faster' but the real thought should be 'I have to swim smarter, which makes me go faster'

2010-03-05 1:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I'm trying to use masters combined with Total Immersion books and videos to get my form right...like what Ryan said about the elongated stroke and the zip drill....i like the catch up drill because it helps with rotation,...I focus on rotation and keeping my head down when not breathing...the kick is good...not over done...doesn't break the surface.  I was thinking about running a 5K race with the club on Saturday but time is too tight...I have to do a 90 min. bike and a 5K run and then get to a swim clinic on open water the Masters is putting on.  3 hours both class and pool and hosted by a woman from Hawaii who apparently has won some open water races.  Should be good.

2010-03-05 5:15 PM
in reply to: #2710441

User image

Welllington, NZ
First open water swim today - can't believe how buoyant a wetsuit could make you! Unbelievable! Was choppy and chilly and drank a fair amount of salt-water (mmm, i might get to like that flavour before too long! ;-)) but actually _enjoyed_ it! Strange but true!

Regarding rotation - i was very aware of the belly-button 3rd eye thing and rotated my hips whereas normally i kinda rotated at my waist and it did help! Felt like it smoothed the whole rotate-to-breathe move and i was in no rush to breathe - i think some of that is down to the extra buoyancy though! Will check out that youtube video when i get home...

Anyway, only did 30 mins or so as i had to get to work but well worth the effort! More next week!

Lewis.
2010-03-06 4:28 AM
in reply to: #2710909

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
Sounds awesome Lewis. I hate salt water, so I guess that is something I will have to get used to eventually, but for now I'll just have to deal with freshwater for my races.  

Good to here about the rotation, you are ahead of the game then!

I'm off to race in the Shamrock Run 8k today.  
http://www.buffaloshamrockrun.com/

Looking to run it under 40 min (7:45 pace) which should put me around 38:45.  But there are 6k people who run, so the first mile or so I'm sure is going to be pretty nuts, which maybe will afford me some more energy, who knows.  

I'll update when I get back. Have a great Saturday everyone.  

2010-03-06 6:28 AM
in reply to: #2711363

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ryanknapp - 2010-03-06 5:28 AM Sounds awesome Lewis. I hate salt water, so I guess that is something I will have to get used to eventually, but for now I'll just have to deal with freshwater for my races.  

Good to here about the rotation, you are ahead of the game then!

I'm off to race in the Shamrock Run 8k today.  
http://www.buffaloshamrockrun.com/

Looking to run it under 40 min (7:45 pace) which should put me around 38:45.  But there are 6k people who run, so the first mile or so I'm sure is going to be pretty nuts, which maybe will afford me some more energy, who knows.  

I'll update when I get back. Have a great Saturday everyone.  

Good luck with your run this morning Ryan! Have fun!!!

It looks like a great morning for a run!!!

Edited by kenj 2010-03-06 6:29 AM
2010-03-06 6:35 AM
in reply to: #2710909

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

lbishop - 2010-03-05 6:15 PM First open water swim today - can't believe how buoyant a wetsuit could make you! Unbelievable! Was choppy and chilly and drank a fair amount of salt-water (mmm, i might get to like that flavour before too long! ;-)) but actually _enjoyed_ it! Strange but true!

Regarding rotation - i was very aware of the belly-button 3rd eye thing and rotated my hips whereas normally i kinda rotated at my waist and it did help! Felt like it smoothed the whole rotate-to-breathe move and i was in no rush to breathe - i think some of that is down to the extra buoyancy though! Will check out that youtube video when i get home...

Anyway, only did 30 mins or so as i had to get to work but well worth the effort! More next week!

Lewis.

The wetsuit is a wonderful thing!   From what I am told the salt water amplifies the buoyancy even more!  Good for you for getting it done!  My A race is IMFL, which will be my first tri in saltwater!

Lewis brings up a good point, and one that those of us in North America can't deal with right now.  But swimming in a wetsuit in open water is significantly different than swimming in a pool.  Swimming is swimming, but the dynamics of the wetsuit, any current, water temp, and chop provide distractions that if you haven't practiced in open water can be disastrous.  Very important to find a place to get at least a couple of open water swims in prior to your races, more if possible.

I'm blessed to live a couple of miles from lake access with a mile + buoy line that has triathletes training on every morning from May till September.  The last couple of years I have had very few pool swims in the summer. 

2010-03-06 8:10 AM

User image

Welcome to the group Ryan. Hope the run goes great!

I have a running question:  I just got back outside after 3 months or so on the treadmill.  After my short run the other day I noticed my calves were sore.  I had a 24 minute run yesterday and my calves are really sore today.  I'm not a strong runner and I had just finished the 5K plan prior to winter and switching to the treadmill.

Does anyone else notice that their calves are sore when they start back outside? Any ideas on what I may be doing different?

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
2010-03-06 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2711460

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

geoffgm - 2010-03-06 9:10 AM Welcome to the group Ryan. Hope the run goes great!

I have a running question:  I just got back outside after 3 months or so on the treadmill.  After my short run the other day I noticed my calves were sore.  I had a 24 minute run yesterday and my calves are really sore today.  I'm not a strong runner and I had just finished the 5K plan prior to winter and switching to the treadmill.

Does anyone else notice that their calves are sore when they start back outside? Any ideas on what I may be doing different?

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Geoff,
It may just be acclimating to being outside.  Although similar, there is enough of  a difference to create aches if ot has been a while.  Stretching, ice will help.  Ramp up slowly and you will be fine. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  

of 29