BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-04-12 4:49 AM
in reply to: #2784404

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
I have a question, I am going to be running a half marathon in a few weeks and wonder if I should keep my cycle and swim workouts on the hard side or back them down the week leading up to the race?  Since I have not done a tri yet nor trained through a running race yet I am not really sure how to focus.

Edited by DirkP 2010-04-12 4:49 AM

2010-04-12 6:11 AM
in reply to: #2770346

Hi all,
Didn't get to write much this weekend.  I was able to get in a 3200 yd swim on Saturday with my informal masters group. And yesterday my family (husband 8 yo and 6yyo) biked to church (a bit over 5 mi) and then I got to leave a bit early and take the long route home - about 16 mi and I averaged 17 mph.

My question is - My quad on my left leg is noticable smaller than my right. I did have reconstructive knee surgery a long time ago that I blew out again and have had no acl for about 15 years (although I do fine without it).   Can anyone describe pedaling on the bike and isolating one leg?  I've read that its good to do but not quite sure how to go about doing it.

This coming week is going to be tricky to get my desired training in due to scheduling and needing to have one of us home for the kids.  I want to try doing some 100's in the pool on 1:40 or 1:45 because I'd like to get my 100 splits down to 1:30 consistently and I need to see what that feels like.

2010-04-12 6:58 AM
in reply to: #2784434

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
DirkP - 2010-04-12 6:49 PM I have a question, I am going to be running a half marathon in a few weeks and wonder if I should keep my cycle and swim workouts on the hard side or back them down the week leading up to the race?  Since I have not done a tri yet nor trained through a running race yet I am not really sure how to focus.

I have the same question for a 10k race I'm doing on April 29, i.e., how much should I back off on my running and cycling (I'm assuming swimming can stay as is since I'm only focusing on technique right now). 
2010-04-12 7:01 AM
in reply to: #2784467

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
swmr2tri - 2010-04-12 7:11 AM  Can anyone describe pedaling on the bike and isolating one leg?  I've read that its good to do but not quite sure how to go about doing it.

Start pedalling (both legs), then unclip from your left pedal, continue pedalling with your right leg (the idea is to keep a continuous smooth stroke with your one leg.  You literally let the other leg just hang.  Most of my ILT's say to do both legs in a minute, so you'd do 10 seconds to switch each time and ride with one leg 20 seconds.  So both legs, 10s switch to one leg, 20s on that leg, 10s to clipback in and unclip the other floot, 20s on the other leg....and repeat.
2010-04-12 7:01 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Newbz,

Your training for this week still looks pretty intense.  Is that because the race is a sprint and your current training baseline is significantly higher than what beginner type plans call for?

Dan 
2010-04-12 7:03 AM
in reply to: #2784510

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-12 9:01 PM
swmr2tri - 2010-04-12 7:11 AM  Can anyone describe pedaling on the bike and isolating one leg?  I've read that its good to do but not quite sure how to go about doing it.

Start pedalling (both legs), then unclip from your left pedal, continue pedalling with your right leg (the idea is to keep a continuous smooth stroke with your one leg.  You literally let the other leg just hang.  Most of my ILT's say to do both legs in a minute, so you'd do 10 seconds to switch each time and ride with one leg 20 seconds.  So both legs, 10s switch to one leg, 20s on that leg, 10s to clipback in and unclip the other floot, 20s on the other leg....and repeat.

I haven't tried this yet either.  Do you start out with a pretty light gear?

2010-04-12 7:16 AM
in reply to: #2784193

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
carlwithac - 2010-04-11 10:25 PM Depending upon who is in the waves ahead of me and how far apart the waves start, I will either have a clear path ahead of me, or I will have to fight my way through the stragglers of previous waves.

I hear you there.  I did a tri last september where my AG was the last wave out of 10 and the bike was crazy.  There were people two or three wide at some points and no shoulder to the road...it wasn't a closed course so you were slamming on the brakes and sprinting around people every few minutes.
2010-04-12 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2784516

User image

Veteran
When I do this exercise, I do it on the trainer. Just wanted to put that out there for anyone who might be hesitant to do this one.

Yes I would start in a lighter gear. You dont want to have to crank out twice the effort with one leg. If it is entirely too easy on your one leg bump it up a gear or two but I wouldnt do anything strenous. (That that is just me!) It should be a good exercise for your legs and muscles but not a workout.
2010-04-12 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2784906

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
stefanier - 2010-04-12 10:29 AM When I do this exercise, I do it on the trainer. Just wanted to put that out there for anyone who might be hesitant to do this one.

Yes I would start in a lighter gear. You dont want to have to crank out twice the effort with one leg. If it is entirely too easy on your one leg bump it up a gear or two but I wouldnt do anything strenous. (That that is just me!) It should be a good exercise for your legs and muscles but not a workout.

Gotta disagree with you here.  You should be pedalling easy, so that when you go to one leg it IS twice as hard.  You don't want to be shifting gears during this exercise.  I'm not sure what the difference between exercise and a workout is, but ILT's are always part of my workout; sort of like drills in my swim workout.  Same idea.  The purpose is to work on form and pedal stroke.  Consistency all the way around the stroke.  It is not supposed to be easy.
2010-04-12 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2784511

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
dcon - 2010-04-12 8:01 AM Newbz,

Your training for this week still looks pretty intense.  Is that because the race is a sprint and your current training baseline is significantly higher than what beginner type plans call for?

Dan 

I was wondering the same thing.  Why such a long swim on Thursday???  Is this all part of your training for a longer race??
2010-04-12 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2785046

Expert
Ann Arbor
jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-12 11:10 AM

Dan 

I was wondering the same thing.  Why such a long swim on Thursday???  Is this all part of your training for a longer race??

I think he said that he was focusing on the half distance this year.  It would seem so.

I just ran an insanely easy 5miles.  My cookie cutter plan wanted me to run a 45min track workout with race pace 400s.  I chose to run a slow 5miles that consisted of a 15min+ WU that felt great for my achilles, almost 30min mid Z2, and then 5min CD.  The only pain I had was in my right hip which I still need to work on strengthening.  I have decided to work up to a coupld weeks of at least 20mpw before I even think about adding tempo or speed to my running.

EDIT: It was also a great run because out of all the runners I passed, I was wearing the shortest shorts!

Edited by carlwithac 2010-04-12 10:57 AM

2010-04-12 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2784511

User image

Champion
dcon - 2010-04-12 6:01 AM

Newbz,

Your training for this week still looks pretty intense. Is that because the race is a sprint and your current training baseline is significantly higher than what beginner type plans call for?

Dan

most is this is simply a factor of how much i have been doing before this (and why i tell people its so hard to compare/look at others training). for some, my taper week is more than they will ever do, but to me it feels just like their taper week because i've backed off so much from where iw as before that.

To answer the questions on bike/swim workouts race week, if you want to do well i would still back off anything hard in the last few days and no longer/harder bikes within 2 days of the race. longer races i would stretch that out to a week on intensity.
2010-04-12 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2785046

User image

Champion
jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-12 9:10 AM

Your training for this week still looks pretty intense. Is that because the race is a sprint and your current training baseline is significantly higher than what beginner type plans call for?

Dan

I was wondering the same thing. Why such a long swim on Thursday??? Is this all part of your training for a longer race??

i am doing two halfs this year, but the training is 100% focused on the sprint distance. the only thing i'll change around for the halfs is to get 1 or 2 longer rides in before them.
2010-04-12 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2785175

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
carlwithac - 2010-04-12 11:49 AM
jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-12 11:10 AM

Dan 

I think he said that he was focusing on the half distance this year.  It would seem so.

I just ran an insanely easy 5miles.  My cookie cutter plan wanted me to run a 45min track workout with race pace 400s.  I chose to run a slow 5miles that consisted of a 15min+ WU that felt great for my achilles, almost 30min mid Z2, and then 5min CD.  The only pain I had was in my right hip which I still need to work on strengthening.  I have decided to work up to a coupld weeks of at least 20mpw before I even think about adding tempo or speed to my running.

EDIT: It was also a great run because out of all the runners I passed, I was wearing the shortest shorts!

haha.  hilarious.  Just wanted to point out that I did those hip strengthening exercises that Dan posted from Youtube.  They are actually very good.  Just remember to stretch out your hips also.  Mine got real tight and started to pull at my ligaments.
2010-04-12 3:06 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Hey all, I'm recovering from a horrible weekend, partly self-induced, partly I'm not sure.  So its my homecoming this weekend (we're a lax school, not a football school so we do it in the spring).  Friday night went out with some people wasn't planning anything big but had a mini-celebration and the bartender started giving my roommate and me many very good scotches.  Needless to say, I missed my swim saturday morning and didn't leave bed until 4 PM or so.  OK, np, I can do it Sunday.  Spent some time Sat with old friends (sans drinking) felt fine and woke up Sunday feeling pretty good.  Had a run LT test in my schedule so went out to do that.  Felt fine during warm up, then after 10 min of the all-out was not feeling good, and my pace was really low and my stomach was killing me.  2 min later puked a little and decided this was not the day for my LT test, finished off an hour of easy running without any issues.  After that, just felt worse and worse, more and more nauseous.  Had some fruit at brunch and saw some friends off, came back feeling horrible.  Maybe an hour later tossed back up the brunch (fruit and a waffle).  Felt initially better, but then worse and worse again.  Couldn't keep anything down, just small sips of water, and even that brought nausea and sitting up or going to the bathroom brought intense cold sweats and ridiculous nausea.  I didn't get my 2 hr bike in that day either.  I knew I must be super dehydrated and attributed my headache to that.  By mid-night, I had had a glass of white grape juice and half a banana and felt ok.

I didn't go to work today and just slept (haven't slept much cause of the uncomfortableness).  I have been super tired all day, but less nauseous.  Had some whole wheat matzah (left over from Passover) earlier cause I thought it would be good for digestive issues.  Just now had a bowl of cereal (again high fiber) and feel ok.  Still feel weird, tired, but my body can take the food now it seems.

I guess my question is how to get back into training and what do to.  I've got an Oly race this Saturday.  Supposed to swim and run today.  Should I try?  I feel like I totally effed up my plan, not just for this race, but for the HIM I'm really targeting in July by missing big workouts.  Suggestions to get back on track for the race Saturday and for my HIM plan for July?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2010-04-12 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2786160

User image

Master
Baltimore
jsiegs - 2010-04-12 4:06 PM Hey all, I'm recovering from a horrible weekend, partly self-induced, partly I'm not sure.  So its my homecoming this weekend (we're a lax school, not a football school so we do it in the spring).  Friday night went out with some people wasn't planning anything big but had a mini-celebration and the bartender started giving my roommate and me many very good scotches.  Needless to say, I missed my swim saturday morning and didn't leave bed until 4 PM or so.  OK, np, I can do it Sunday.  Spent some time Sat with old friends (sans drinking) felt fine and woke up Sunday feeling pretty good.  Had a run LT test in my schedule so went out to do that.  Felt fine during warm up, then after 10 min of the all-out was not feeling good, and my pace was really low and my stomach was killing me.  2 min later puked a little and decided this was not the day for my LT test, finished off an hour of easy running without any issues.  After that, just felt worse and worse, more and more nauseous.  Had some fruit at brunch and saw some friends off, came back feeling horrible.  Maybe an hour later tossed back up the brunch (fruit and a waffle).  Felt initially better, but then worse and worse again.  Couldn't keep anything down, just small sips of water, and even that brought nausea and sitting up or going to the bathroom brought intense cold sweats and ridiculous nausea.  I didn't get my 2 hr bike in that day either.  I knew I must be super dehydrated and attributed my headache to that.  By mid-night, I had had a glass of white grape juice and half a banana and felt ok.

I didn't go to work today and just slept (haven't slept much cause of the uncomfortableness).  I have been super tired all day, but less nauseous.  Had some whole wheat matzah (left over from Passover) earlier cause I thought it would be good for digestive issues.  Just now had a bowl of cereal (again high fiber) and feel ok.  Still feel weird, tired, but my body can take the food now it seems.

I guess my question is how to get back into training and what do to.  I've got an Oly race this Saturday.  Supposed to swim and run today.  Should I try?  I feel like I totally effed up my plan, not just for this race, but for the HIM I'm really targeting in July by missing big workouts.  Suggestions to get back on track for the race Saturday and for my HIM plan for July?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I just spent some time adjusting my planned training around this week and a du May 2nd.  If anyone wants to take a look at my planned calendar and comment, I'd appreciated some feedback.

Thanks! 

2010-04-12 4:38 PM
in reply to: #2783519

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
nc452010 - 2010-04-11 2:30 PM

PROGRESS! (Last week, I had WORKED UP to doing 12X50's in the pool)

Today, I swam a couple 50's to warm up....then tried to go longer.  I swam 100yds!  I rested a short time.....then swam another 100!  Then another!  Then another!

Altogether, I did 2X50's; 4X100's; 6X50's!

It's gonna happen! This was my 8th time in the pool......with no real swimming background.  I'm trying to get to 1,000yds, non-stop, by June.

jeff

Congrats!
2010-04-12 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2779897

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-09 10:01 AM
tnguyen1 - 2010-04-09 9:44 AM When I mean I was slow....I was SLOW. 13-14mm for 4-6 mile runs and as my mileage increased my times dropped to 9-10mm for 4-6 mile runs.

The only reason I brought up tempo runs, was b/c it was suggested to me after my V02 testing last week. I'm just trying to plan out my work-outs going into this tri season so I appreciate everyones thoughts.[/QUOTE]

Whew!  I thought I was the only one!

Did you have this done professionally in a lab?  If you don't mind, how much did it cost and how did you find out about it?

Sorry, I'm just now getting around to answer.....been out of town for the weekend and I had to read 10 pages! :P

Ha! My run is pretty terrible......I'm more of a water beast

I did the testing with one of the coach's on my tri team, and they have a testing lab. $200 for run & bike plus some help and suggestions to my training plans based on my goals and races this year. Our team is 100 or so ppl, 6 coaches w/mulitple workouts for SBR, and I knew quite a few teamates that have had it done.  
2010-04-12 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2786306

Expert
Ann Arbor
I just gave it a quick glance because I have to go someplace but your week of the 18th seems a little odd to me.  Your run volume drops significantly(recovery week?).  You also have one day with two long bikes scheduled.  Again, I'll look it over later.
2010-04-12 5:09 PM
in reply to: #2786419

User image

Master
Baltimore
carlwithac - 2010-04-12 5:47 PM I just gave it a quick glance because I have to go someplace but your week of the 18th seems a little odd to me.  Your run volume drops significantly(recovery week?).  You also have one day with two long bikes scheduled.  Again, I'll look it over later.

Yeah, thats the BT drag and drop workout thing messing up like always.  I think I fixed it.  I don't think I can get everything in and taper, it just seems like too much.  I'll also be in Texas for work the 23rd to the first of May, which throws a wrench in things.  I should have my bike though. 
2010-04-12 6:16 PM
in reply to: #2786454

Expert
Ann Arbor
jsiegs - 2010-04-12 6:09 PM
carlwithac - 2010-04-12 5:47 PM I just gave it a quick glance because I have to go someplace but your week of the 18th seems a little odd to me.  Your run volume drops significantly(recovery week?).  You also have one day with two long bikes scheduled.  Again, I'll look it over later.

Yeah, thats the BT drag and drop workout thing messing up like always.  I think I fixed it.  I don't think I can get everything in and taper, it just seems like too much.  I'll also be in Texas for work the 23rd to the first of May, which throws a wrench in things.  I should have my bike though. 

It looks a lot better structured now.  I'm there is a choice between fitting everything in and tapering, I would chose tapering every time.  Is this duathlon an A race, B race, etc?  The things I would be concerned about is that you have two relatively long bikes that week.  I would maybe take one out if you really want to be rested.  But that all depends on your currently ability to train and recover.  I would also make sure not to go too hard for that hour run a few days before.  Just keep in mind that tapering is supposed to let your body recover from previous training.

2010-04-12 7:15 PM
in reply to: #2786160

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
jsiegs - 2010-04-13 5:06 AM Hey all, I'm recovering from a horrible weekend, partly self-induced, partly I'm not sure.  So its my homecoming this weekend (we're a lax school, not a football school so we do it in the spring).  Friday night went out with some people wasn't planning anything big but had a mini-celebration and the bartender started giving my roommate and me many very good scotches.  Needless to say, I missed my swim saturday morning and didn't leave bed until 4 PM or so.  OK, np, I can do it Sunday.  Spent some time Sat with old friends (sans drinking) felt fine and woke up Sunday feeling pretty good.  Had a run LT test in my schedule so went out to do that.  Felt fine during warm up, then after 10 min of the all-out was not feeling good, and my pace was really low and my stomach was killing me.  2 min later puked a little and decided this was not the day for my LT test, finished off an hour of easy running without any issues.  After that, just felt worse and worse, more and more nauseous.  Had some fruit at brunch and saw some friends off, came back feeling horrible.  Maybe an hour later tossed back up the brunch (fruit and a waffle).  Felt initially better, but then worse and worse again.  Couldn't keep anything down, just small sips of water, and even that brought nausea and sitting up or going to the bathroom brought intense cold sweats and ridiculous nausea.  I didn't get my 2 hr bike in that day either.  I knew I must be super dehydrated and attributed my headache to that.  By mid-night, I had had a glass of white grape juice and half a banana and felt ok.

Two day hangover (yep, they do happen) - rest, get hydrated again and don't try the exercise until you feel normal which will likely be Monday.  Don't sweat the missed workouts.    
2010-04-12 7:26 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
One more note on strengthening hip flexors:  there was a "kicking" thread where someone mentioned that kicking drills, done properly, will strengthen your hip flexors.   I've avoided doing kicking drills because I figured all I needed was a light 2-beat kick, but in another thread TJ Fry emphasized that you still need a good, strong kick for the 2 beat.   (I'm also really terrible at kicking so that is the real reason I avoided kicking drills). 
2010-04-12 7:48 PM
in reply to: #2786700

User image

dcon - 2010-04-12 3:26 PM One more note on strengthening hip flexors:  there was a "kicking" thread where someone mentioned that kicking drills, done properly, will strengthen your hip flexors.   I've avoided doing kicking drills because I figured all I needed was a light 2-beat kick, but in another thread TJ Fry emphasized that you still need a good, strong kick for the 2 beat.   (I'm also really terrible at kicking so that is the real reason I avoided kicking drills). 

Agreed.  I use a two beat kick when swimming, but do kicking sets with fins.  My hip flexors are definately getting some work during those sets.
2010-04-12 7:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
In a great mood after a wonderful after work bike ride in 70 degree sunshine through the rolling hills.   Only 12.5 miles, but it was by far my best ride as far as feeling strong throughout the punishing hills  Well, other than when the guy flew by me going up the hill and he looked like he was barely working  The bike is my weakest link, but i'm getting better every time i go out.  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105