BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-04-27 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2818485

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
Haha thanks Quincy for the MANatee comment....that's funny.  Additionally I have no comment on boobs vs aeroboobs Innocent

2010-04-27 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2819048

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I too have to start getting up earlier. Last week and this week I have had to be at work by 6 though so that means I have to get up at 5 which means I don't want to get up at 4 to workout haha.  Hopefully starting next week my normal work schedule of having to be at work at 7:30 wil return and I can start working out in the mornings again.  Grrrrrr
2010-04-27 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Last night hubs showed me a picture of myself from our anniversary in October.  Apparently he was trying to remind me of the size of the slice of carrot cake I had for dessert but all I could see were my ginormous boobs.  Compared to those what I've got now are aeroboobs.  Much faster in the water, but I miss my bosom.

Sorry Ryan.

Got my bike in last night and talking myself off the couch to go for a swim now but I'm having trouble tearing myself from the computer.  We're waiting on a house offer to be emailed sometime this morning.  It's too low but we're hoping to negotiate up to a price we can accept.  Keep your fins crossed for us!
2010-04-27 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2819304

User image

Melon Presser
blackledge - 2010-04-27 11:30 PM I have no comment on boobs vs aeroboobs Innocent

I do. More than a mouthful's okay, but not necessary. This peanut gallery ALWAYS has a comment ...

I am getting up early tomorrow morning to do a bike ride.

HA HA HA HA HA ... well, you guys inspired me, so I will do it. (I NEVER do morning workouts. It's already too hot here, and plus the streets get busy starting 5 a.m., blah blah blah blah blah ... but I really can't bike at night anymore. Even lit up like a Christmas tree and having a headlight for the path, it just isn't safe enough).

2010-04-27 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2819352

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

Haha that's funny Allison.  And I will keep my fingers crossed on the offer on your house.  That's exciting and hopefully you can increase that # and sell your place!
Yanti - Glad to hear that you're doing a morning workout.  I feel much better after working out in the morning but during the beginning of my workouts I feel much more sluggish that I would during my night workouts. But I figured most of my races are early in the morning so I might as well get my body used to it.  And again no comment on the mouthful but I agree Innocent

2010-04-27 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Allison, flippers crossed that the offer goes through!

I say this now, but at this point, I would gladly donate my boobs to the cause if I could just get below 200 pounds.  I am so very tired of being so very large!  I came to the sad conclusion that, in addition to diet issues, of course, the reason I am so !@##$% struggling to lose weight is that my cardio time is down due to the boot camp time. We do some cardio during that boot camp, but it's not the same as an hour long run, which is basically what it has replaced.  I am SO frustrated with weight right now.  Why am I bothering to even try to work out every day if nothing changes?  I desperately, DESPERATELY need a food solution.  Bleh.

2010-04-27 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2819465

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Last year my wife tried several different diets.  She even hired a personal trainer and worked out 4-5 times/week last summer including cardio almost every day and still didn't lose the weight.  Her last diet attempt of weight watchers actually worked even with minimal workouts.  She dropped 40 lbs and is happy with her current weight.  Her biggest problem is that she snacks (even just a handful here and there).  She conciously did not realize that she was doing this until I pointed it out to her. WW forced her to watch and track what she ate.  She still ate out but just made wiser decisions and replaced her snacks with healthier-low cal ones.  I don't mean to imply that everyone is that way but just thought I would put in my 2 cents.  Keep your head up!  You're training for a tri and that is def a huge step in the right direction and takes more committment and courage than most people have.
2010-04-27 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Dineen - forget what the scale says.  Scales are irrelevant.  Based on BMI (calculated by height and weight) Brad Pitt is borderline obese.  Really.

All a scale can tell you is one piece of data which is useless on its own.  What's more important is the amount of muscle you've been building during your workouts and boot camp and how much fat you're losing.  The scale can't tell you that. 

I just spent the last 2.5 weeks stuck at the same weight.  I was eating healthy and doing loads of cardio every day but the scale didn't budge.  My clothes, on the other hand, are significantly looser now than they were 2.5 weeks ago.  I no longer have back fat pudging out of my swim suit at the pool.  I can feel bones in my shoulders and hips that I never even knew I had. 

Unless you've been eating terribly I'd guess you're noticing that your shape is changing in subtle ways.  Don't bother looking in the mirror, but ask your husband if he can see a difference.  I bet he has and I bet he likes it.
2010-04-27 2:47 PM
in reply to: #2820498

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Very good response Allison! See I knew a guy shouldn't comment on weight issues haha
2010-04-27 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
dinabean - 2010-04-27 10:15 AM Allison, flippers crossed that the offer goes through!

I say this now, but at this point, I would gladly donate my boobs to the cause if I could just get below 200 pounds.  I am so very tired of being so very large!  I came to the sad conclusion that, in addition to diet issues, of course, the reason I am so !@##$% struggling to lose weight is that my cardio time is down due to the boot camp time. We do some cardio during that boot camp, but it's not the same as an hour long run, which is basically what it has replaced.  I am SO frustrated with weight right now.  Why am I bothering to even try to work out every day if nothing changes?  I desperately, DESPERATELY need a food solution.  Bleh.

Dineen, like Ryan's wife, I lost 40lbs on weight watchers (twice...once b/c of a pregnancy).  And I will add a bit to his thoughts on why it worked.

1.  And this is HUGE:  recording every stinking bit of food that goes in your mouth.
2.  Weigh in and record. (online or in a group, but it has to be a big deal).
3.  Learning how to read a nutrition label and how to interpret it in order to eat the correct amount, or to make the better choice when trying to decide WHAT to eat.
4.  Learning portion control.
5.  Changing shopping, cooking, and snacking habits FOR GOOD (not for a diet or for a finite amount of time). 

Things that I didn't like about it were that it didn't correctly account for HARD workouts when adding calories back in, it penalizes good fats TOO MUCH, and it is not very useful if you are trying to be careful with the composition of your diet (like an athlete would).  

The other thing that happened is that I was in school for my job (crazy intense) and I didn't have too much time for workouts (maybe short runs 2-3x a week but that was it).  I actually think this helped me lose weight...I find it difficult to lose weight when I am "training."  I have about 7 more lbs I'd like to lose before I start racing, and it is tough.  I've had to go back to the list I wrote above and really re-dedicate myself to the principles.  

I really hope something I've said helps you find that silver bullet to get the weight loss going.  I know how hard it is, but the rewards are so huge, it is worth it.  If you can power through the discomfort of training, you have the willpower to survive the discomfort of dieting.  

Another thing to consider is a plateau.  I often go through a month or more of no weight loss at all, but my body composition is changing.  You might consider checking body fat or measurements too.  Changing up your routine might be a great way to get through it...maybe you should put Boot Camp on hold, go crazy with some cardio, have fun with it, and with the energy you get from being excited about a new routine, you can get the weight loss going again.  Then if you plateau again later, you can go back to Boot Camp.  It's so crazy, it might work!!!

Edited by quincyf 2010-04-27 2:54 PM
2010-04-27 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
OK, Alison and I were replying at the same time...in case the conversation looks a bit disjointed...because we actually agreed and disagreed at the same time...Foot in mouth

2010-04-27 3:02 PM

User image

Regular
I have to say, WW is fantastic... FANTASTIC!  If you stick with the plan.

That's the hard part

Also, where do you eat?  I am a grazer, if I make myself ONLY eat at the table (not at a desk, not standing up) I tend to eat a LOT less.
2010-04-27 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2819485

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
blackledge - 2010-04-27 11:22 AM Last year my wife tried several different diets.  She even hired a personal trainer and worked out 4-5 times/week last summer including cardio almost every day and still didn't lose the weight.  Her last diet attempt of weight watchers actually worked even with minimal workouts.  She dropped 40 lbs and is happy with her current weight.  Her biggest problem is that she snacks (even just a handful here and there).  She conciously did not realize that she was doing this until I pointed it out to her. WW forced her to watch and track what she ate.  She still ate out but just made wiser decisions and replaced her snacks with healthier-low cal ones.  I don't mean to imply that everyone is that way but just thought I would put in my 2 cents.  Keep your head up!  You're training for a tri and that is def a huge step in the right direction and takes more committment and courage than most people have.

This is excellent advice -- I was looking for help with food, and you've offered it.  No appologies.

Maybe I do need to look in to WW.  Or a dietician.  Or something.  I eat on the go WAY too much (breakfast in the car, lunch at my desk, dinner ~2 times a week in the car, which REALLY sucks, though my family does sit down to dinner the rest of the time), I have issues with being STARVING by dinner time and eating too much, or gorging while cooking, or both, and I cut out the late night snacks for a while there but I have gotten back to eating something after the kids are in bed, in front of the TV, mostly what I shouldn't.  I just mostly don't do a good enough job of planning ahead, and so I am scrambling and struggling and eating things that I shouldn't.  I "plan" (ha!) and prepare all of my family's meals, and I think I put too much pressure on myself over it.   I made myself keep a good food diary during lent (it's here, on BT, in all it's terrible glory) and was appalled -- I thought I ate healthy, but I don't.  But the time effort to keep the food diary is difficult (as it is, I am supposed to record my time working in 6 minute increments and it is maddening!) and I don't have enough space in my brain for it all!

THanks all -- more later.
in reply to: #2820565

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
It is hard to stick the plan but like Quincy said if you write down everything you eat (even 1 handful of chips) then you can succeed.  My wife actually calculated how many WW pts I could have on a daily basis and I followed it with her for awhile.  I didn't necessarily need to lose the weight but it helped her that I was doing it at the same time (only eating larger portions if we ate together but same food).  Then we weaned (sp?) myself off of it and she continued on and I continued to support her.  But she said it was a big help in the beginning in that we were both doing it (even though I never officially joined). She also learned to substitute things. For example if she wanted to go out and eat enchiladas she would.  But the next day for lunch she would have 0 point soup or a salad with no fat dressing instead of a lean cuisine to help make up those few points for the week.
She also never really used her extra pts for the week and like Quincy had a hard time tracking activity points so she ignored those as well and just stuck to her daily pts regardless of how often she worked out.
in reply to: #2819485

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
blackledge - 2010-04-27 11:22 AM Last year my wife tried several different diets.  She even hired a personal trainer and worked out 4-5 times/week last summer including cardio almost every day and still didn't lose the weight.  Her last diet attempt of weight watchers actually worked even with minimal workouts.  She dropped 40 lbs and is happy with her current weight.  Her biggest problem is that she snacks (even just a handful here and there).  She conciously did not realize that she was doing this until I pointed it out to her. WW forced her to watch and track what she ate.  She still ate out but just made wiser decisions and replaced her snacks with healthier-low cal ones.  I don't mean to imply that everyone is that way but just thought I would put in my 2 cents.  Keep your head up!  You're training for a tri and that is def a huge step in the right direction and takes more committment and courage than most people have.

This is excellent advice -- I was looking for help with food, and you've offered it.  No appologies.

Maybe I do need to look in to WW.  Or a dietician.  Or something.  I eat on the go WAY too much (breakfast in the car, lunch at my desk, dinner ~2 times a week in the car, which REALLY sucks, though my family does sit down to dinner the rest of the time), I have issues with being STARVING by dinner time and eating too much, or gorging while cooking, or both, and I cut out the late night snacks for a while there but I have gotten back to eating something after the kids are in bed, in front of the TV, mostly what I shouldn't.  I just mostly don't do a good enough job of planning ahead, and so I am scrambling and struggling and eating things that I shouldn't.  I "plan" (ha!) and prepare all of my family's meals, and I think I put too much pressure on myself over it.   I made myself keep a good food diary during lent (it's here, on BT, in all it's terrible glory) and was appalled -- I thought I ate healthy, but I don't.  But the time effort to keep the food diary is difficult (as it is, I am supposed to record my time working in 6 minute increments and it is maddening!) and I don't have enough space in my brain for it all!

THanks all -- more later.
2010-04-27 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2820705

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Sorry, I've been away from the computer most of the last couple of days, but you all have a great conversation going on re: weight loss. Okay, first off, full disclosure, I work for Weight Watchers part time. I lead a couple of meetings per week. I joined in 2001 and lost 30# and have kept it off. Then a year later I started working part time as a way to "give back" and stay connected with what worked for me. I think it's a great program because it's really about lifestyle change. A lot of what you all have said, portions, mindful eating, mindless munching ,etc. are all parts of the puzzle. I also agree that using the activity points like weight watchers suggests doesn't always work for endurance athletes. Believe it or not, I still track points on a daily basis and I also use the Lose It App for my Ipod touch. It allows me to track calories as well as calories burned for activity. I had my resting metabolic rate figured when I did the VO2 max testing and have a pretty good idea of how many calories I need for daily functioning and the training I do.

So, if you have any WW questions, ask away. I've been a leader for 8 years and have seen lots of people be successful. It's so true that it only works when you do it. If you change habits that's the biggee. I don't believe WW is the only way though. It's just what I tried and what's worked for me.

Carry on..

2010-04-27 8:10 PM

User image

Regular
Lynn, that's so cool!

I am a huge fan of WW Online.  I love the tracking tools and the recipes.  Oh The Recipes!! (BTW - I love to cook, so if you ever need a good poultry or fish dish, I have a great NUTRITIOUS recipe collection)

I have lost a lot of weight on WW Online.  Sadly, I got really lax, depressed, busy and gained it all back... plus.

Anyhoo... I digress.  It ain't easy.  It's hard as heck.  I know.
2010-04-27 9:12 PM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
I lost weight by tracking what I ate and exercising. It's really, really enlightening to see just how much I was eating. I slowly scaled back my calories and sure enough, the weight came off. I've never done anything official like WW, but I know it's the same concept. I'm doing the Body by Glamour program right now, which I know is a huge marketing ploy, but they plan all the meals and put a shopping list together so it's less thought for me. I'd like to shed a few more pounds before my beach trip toward the end of May. I'm inherently lazy which is why I like boot camp. They do all the thinking for me.
2010-04-27 10:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Lynn, how did I not know that about you?!?!  That's really cool, that you give back in that way.  I must admit, it's hard to imagine you as anything other than a 70.3 Rock Star, though! 

I did a little research, and I can't find a single meeting in my area that works in my overprogrammed life.  Grrr.  I did WW a looooonng time ago(15 years ago, maybe?  Right after the introduced points and before I ever owned a cell phone) and I remember struggling with the whole figuring out points thing.  I take it that part is a lot easier with online tools today? 
2010-04-28 2:13 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Weight. ARGH! Weight! Kerry is right--it's hard. I have lost 120 lbs NET from my heaviest, but my guess is that I've actually lost a total of 200 lbs or so, between gaining it back and such.

Different things have worked for me at different times. Here are my random thoughts.

I'm a WW fan, and I did it online, although I had a BFF/weight loss buddy who was doing it with me, so we'd discuss once a week or so and we often ate together.

Weight loss really is calories in/calories out. It's a LOT easier to cut calories (and eat delicious filling foods--I LOVE WW's zero-points soup!) than it is to burn them.

Also, doing weight training might do more for you than boot camp, if weight loss is your goal. Muscle burns a lot more calories at rest than fat, and it shapes you nicely .

Weight loss--and I really prefer to call it health-building--can be aggravatingly slow. However, I really agree with the whole pay-attention-to-FITNESS thing rather than focusing on numbers.

Is training better? Do you FEEL fitter? How's your resting heart rate? Clothes fit differently? Skin more aglow? Are you drinking LOTS of water, btw?

I have done MUCH better with implementing one small change at a time than say being strict about everything. For example, one week I switched to all lowfat dairy products, then later, all nonfat and no cheese. Maybe the next week, focus on eating a filling breakfast with quality protein and a little healthy fat to keep you satisfied. Plenty of fruit. (Or if that's a struggle, how about just making sure you DO eat breakfast every day, even if it's marginally healthy)?

2010-04-28 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
When I got engaged I was so happy I gained 10lbs.  Of course my wedding gown was purchased with the mindset that I was going to lose 5 instead of gaining, so I had to drop 15lbs in the three months before my wedding.  I used sparkpeople.com to track my calories in/out.  They will also set up meal plans and I think they create grocery lists too, but I never used that.  I like the foods I eat and, as it turned out, I wasn't eating unhealthily, just too much.  Now if I'm feeling like I'm eating too much junk or just too much I spend a week or two tracking everything and adjusting.  Since I learned how to understand the nutrition labels (after doing lots of reading) and got a better grasp of how many calories are in different kinds of foods I can generally make good decisions without daily tracking.

It's weird though.  Trying to lose the weight for my wedding I thought I was doing a lot of exercise by burning 1000 calories a week.  My plan only allowed me to eat 1200-1500 calories per day and that stunk.  In my mind, weight loss meant eating less.  Now I easily burn 1000 calories per workout and I'm losing weight eating about 2000 calories per day.  Just another reason to love being an endurance athlete.

Did I really just call myself an athlete?  I think that's the first time I've actually said that outside of my head.

2010-04-28 8:27 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow

Allison-You are an athlete! The first step is admitting you're one. Laughing

I'm getting pumped for my races this weekend. They sent out an email with race specific rules for the tri on Sunday. Apparently, you aren't allowed to crawl on the run leg. I giggled, but I'm sure they have that rule in place for a reason. Hopefully I won't be reduced to that.

2010-04-28 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Hi all!

OK another thumbs up for WW here.  I joined WW in 2006 and lost 47 lbs in less than 6 months.  I followed the program to a T-every point was counted every day and I never went over my allowance...I kept the weight off for about a year and a half and started to get lazy with keeping track of points.  Portions slowly got bigger and bigger again and I have put back on some of the weight (maybe half of it, not sure since I won't look at the scale).  I just started back on the program about 3 or 4 weeks ago and have lost about 6 lbs.  So like someone else said it works great IF you follow the program.  I was frustrated because I was getting slower in my races, not faster, because of the weight I put on.  I should be getting faster with experience.  So I made the promise to myself to lose the weight and get back on track.  

I had a great masters swim last night.  I was going to run today but it was very cold and my little one was tired so I bagged the run and am being lazy.  Someone needs to give me a kick in the rear to motivate me... anyone? 

This weekend there will be minimal training too- we are headed out of state for a communion on saturday, then from there we are driving to Hershey to surprise our daughter with a day at Hershey Park on Sunday.  

I need to get my bike off the trainer for a tune up and get out there and ride.  I am so in trouble since my biking has been non existent.  

Check in with you alll later.   Tonight I  will be enjoying A Night of Chocolate with my sister- a 3 1/2 hours class all about chocolate! YUMMY!!

Laura 
2010-04-28 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2822639

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Allison, I know what you mean.  I have a real hard time with the term "athlete" too.  I am way to fat/slow/uncoordinated to be an ATHLETE.  I have never in my life been an athlete!  But I am enjoying pretending to be one.

Missed my swim this morning.  *sigh* Got up at 5, went to the bathroom, and...crawled back into bed.  I just can't do it on 5 hours sleep.  Something's gotta give here.  Ugh.  Now trying to figure out how to fit something in tonight instead.
2010-04-28 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2822768

User image

Regular
dinabean - 2010-04-28 12:01 PM Allison, I know what you mean.  I have a real hard time with the term "athlete" too.  I am way to fat/slow/uncoordinated to be an ATHLETE.  I have never in my life been an athlete!  But I am enjoying pretending to be one.

Missed my swim this morning.  *sigh* Got up at 5, went to the bathroom, and...crawled back into bed.  I just can't do it on 5 hours sleep.  Something's gotta give here.  Ugh.  Now trying to figure out how to fit something in tonight instead.

I hear you.  I had a little love affair with my snooze this morning.  Got up with enough time to do a short swim but not enough time for my run.... which I am off to do right now.

I am so. freaking. hungry. Making my husband do some grocery shopping today and fill the pantry with some good stuff.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60