BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2010-05-20 7:19 AM
in reply to: #2775149

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED
I did 30 minutes on the treadmill last night! Took a few 1 minute walk breaks, mostly to check myself and be sure the foot felt okay.
Since I'm feeling pretty good, my plan is to register for an August race, after I see the Dr tomorrow.

2010-05-20 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Stinkin RAIN! Feels like London here. Does the sun really exist? Sorry, I feel better now. Laughing Got a hour on a spin bike at the Y. I need the sun.

Heidi, glad you're feeling better. I know first hand, feet problems can really suck. Thirty minutes on the treadmill, sounds like your on your way.

Phil
2010-05-20 1:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Welcome back Heidi!

Phil, sorry to say but it's nice and sunny here, and very hot 84 degrees.

Went out for easy 40 minute run at lunch, before the heat (74 degree). Hoping to get to pool tonight.
2010-05-20 4:25 PM
in reply to: #2867698

User image

Expert
Experior - 2010-05-19 9:12 AM Hey everyone.  I got on the bike (trainer) this morning.  It felt great to be on a bike again, although I was a bit skittish and didn't push hard.

Pool running sucks no matter how you slice it, but I'll keep doing it.

Here's hoping everyone has a great day!

Amen to that! I'll be happy when I can stop!
2010-05-20 6:17 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Yeah-have to be a hater when it comes to the pool running.  But, it certainly builds a mental toughness.

Have been able to continue getting back to running.  Nice and easy 30 minutes every other day.  So far so good.  A little tightness when I start but getting there.  Build back slowly.

Sad swim story early this morning.  I have been swimming alot since my leg injury-35-50k yards a month.  My speed has improved but I just never get that relaxed feeling that I get on a long run.  Most of my swim workouts are interval based so there is more intensity but even when doing a long continuous swim it just never feels that I could go forever. Instead I'm counting the laps until I'm finished.   This morning I felt like #%! from the beginning.  Even the basic balance drills I always do early in a workout I was sucking in water.  Main part of swim was 15 x 100 at varying paces.  Struggled through the first five and bailed!  Should have toughed it out but felt like I would be draggiing the bottom of the pool if I kept going.  I know we all have those days when things just dont "feel" right but it really sucks in the pool-there is no escape.  Ok, now I have vented, complained, whined etc..  I'll be back at it tomorrow though-maybe a drill focused day to get me back into proper swim form-as sad as that may be.

Take care everyone-its almost the weekend!

Randy   

2010-05-20 8:06 PM
in reply to: #2870227

User image

Veteran
DC
slow turtle - 2010-05-20 7:19 AM I did 30 minutes on the treadmill last night! Took a few 1 minute walk breaks, mostly to check myself and be sure the foot felt okay.
Since I'm feeling pretty good, my plan is to register for an August race, after I see the Dr tomorrow.

NICE!  What did the doc have to say?  Are you green lighted for August? 

Phil, I share your pain in the crummy weather dept. Enough of the clouds already!

2010-05-21 12:02 AM
in reply to: #2870661

User image

Expert
Salem
StlPhil - 2010-05-20 7:27 AM Stinkin RAIN! Feels like London here. Does the sun really exist? Sorry, I feel better now. Laughing Got a hour on a spin bike at the Y. I need the sun.

Heidi, glad you're feeling better. I know first hand, feet problems can really suck. Thirty minutes on the treadmill, sounds like your on your way.

Phil

I hear ya Phil.  I am feeling your pain and mine this week.  Second time this week I haven't been able to ride due to the wind and weather.  I am working hard at getting my runs and swims in.  Hope to do another OWS tomorrow evening.  Will have to get an early start tomorrow morning to get my run in due to a 7:30 am meeting.
2010-05-21 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2872400

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slornow - 2010-05-20 7:17 PM

Yeah-have to be a hater when it comes to the pool running.  But, it certainly builds a mental toughness.

Have been able to continue getting back to running.  Nice and easy 30 minutes every other day.  So far so good.  A little tightness when I start but getting there.  Build back slowly.

Sad swim story early this morning.  I have been swimming alot since my leg injury-35-50k yards a month.  My speed has improved but I just never get that relaxed feeling that I get on a long run.  Most of my swim workouts are interval based so there is more intensity but even when doing a long continuous swim it just never feels that I could go forever. Instead I'm counting the laps until I'm finished.   This morning I felt like #%! from the beginning.  Even the basic balance drills I always do early in a workout I was sucking in water.  Main part of swim was 15 x 100 at varying paces.  Struggled through the first five and bailed!  Should have toughed it out but felt like I would be draggiing the bottom of the pool if I kept going.  I know we all have those days when things just dont "feel" right but it really sucks in the pool-there is no escape.  Ok, now I have vented, complained, whined etc..  I'll be back at it tomorrow though-maybe a drill focused day to get me back into proper swim form-as sad as that may be.

Take care everyone-its almost the weekend!

Randy   

I second this idea.  I get that way in the pool sometimes too, and a drill-focused day helps get my head back into swimming.
2010-05-21 12:48 PM

User image

Regular
I'm glad that a number of you are making good progress coming back from your injuries.  I'm hoping that you'll be back into solid form by your next race.  Speaking of which, does anybody have a race this weekend? 

I've had a pretty good week of training, but I was starting to get stuck in a rut - same routes, same days, same times, ... 

To shake things up a bit, I've decided to turn non-race-week Fridays into "Sprint Fridays".  As long as the weather cooperates, I'm going to bike to my pool (it is conveniently 5.5 miles away), swim 1/4 mile, bike back to the gym at work, and then go for a 3 mile run.  I finished the bike and run portions today (I would have stopped at the pool, but I have to pick up a bike lock first) and feel great.  I'm going to track my progress throughout the rest of the season and hopefully see improvement by September.

Have a great weekend everyone!
- Mark
2010-05-21 2:55 PM

User image

Expert
I didnt get great news from the Doc. After minimal prodding and poking to my foot, it was on fire (and still is, 2 hours after the appointment). He's concerned about the continued swelling, and nerve pain. Sending me for an MRI and a Lyme disease titer.
I'm pretty sure I don't have lyme's, but I'll play nice and get the test.

He suggested not running for 2 more weeks- just to be safe. He didn't say that I cant bike or swim, and I didn't ask. My frustration level is pretty high right now. I'm sure it''l reduce once the immediate pain stops.

But, it's a beautiful day out, and I dont even want to go for a ride right now.  that sucks.
2010-05-21 8:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Beautifull here today, left work early enough that I could sneak in a 30 min bike hill workout then headed to the pool for a 40 min swim. These days I'm just finding timeslots to get workouts in and not worry too much about following the plan. I'm using the plan as a guide. Before I was always worried about how one workout would affect the next one that I would skip it, next thing you know I was skipping a whole week. Now, I just fill in my days. Now, if I had a hard workout the day before I will do an easy one with the other sport the next day. I'm learning to adjust and my workout log is filling up.

Sylvain

2010-05-21 8:43 PM
in reply to: #2874625

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slow turtle - 2010-05-21 3:55 PM I didnt get great news from the Doc. After minimal prodding and poking to my foot, it was on fire (and still is, 2 hours after the appointment). He's concerned about the continued swelling, and nerve pain. Sending me for an MRI and a Lyme disease titer.

He suggested not running for 2 more weeks- just to be safe. He didn't say that I cant bike or swim, and I didn't ask. My frustration level is pretty high right now. I'm sure it''l reduce once the immediate pain stops.

But, it's a beautiful day out, and I dont even want to go for a ride right now.  that sucks.

Very sorry to hear that Heidi.  Hang in there.  We're all sending you positive vibes.

Edited by Experior 2010-05-21 8:46 PM
2010-05-21 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2875132

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sstucker - 2010-05-21 9:22 PM Beautifull here today, left work early enough that I could sneak in a 30 min bike hill workout then headed to the pool for a 40 min swim. These days I'm just finding timeslots to get workouts in and not worry too much about following the plan. I'm using the plan as a guide. Before I was always worried about how one workout would affect the next one that I would skip it, next thing you know I was skipping a whole week. Now, I just fill in my days. Now, if I had a hard workout the day before I will do an easy one with the other sport the next day. I'm learning to adjust and my workout log is filling up. Sylvain

Fantastic!  I agree 100% with your strategy.  I plan every week, and I'm pretty sure that I've followed the entire plan exactly zero times.  I just try to keep some general guidelines in mind when I shuffle things around.
2010-05-22 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2874625

User image

Expert
Salem
slow turtle - 2010-05-21 12:55 PM I didnt get great news from the Doc. After minimal prodding and poking to my foot, it was on fire (and still is, 2 hours after the appointment). He's concerned about the continued swelling, and nerve pain. Sending me for an MRI and a Lyme disease titer.

Keep the head up Heidi....sending you positive thoughts.

Brian
2010-05-22 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
Darn Rain....I am going to have to do the first half of my Brick Workout in the gym on a Spinning Bike and then rush home to do my run portion.  Don't look forward to a 1.5 hr. bike ride in the gym.  Oh well.  Here we go.
Did go for a OWS last night; very rainy and a tad bit cold but doable.  It was nice to get out into the open water and test things our before June 6th Oly.

Great day everyone.
Brian
2010-05-24 8:10 PM

User image

Veteran
DC
Pretty quiet around here of late.  Just checking in to say hi.

I had my first 'double' workout today in a long time...ran on the treadmill this AM and biked this evening.  It felt good, especially after a weekend filled with way too much beer and BBQ and far too little exercise (had an old college buddy visiting). 

Hope you are all doing well...

2010-05-24 9:24 PM
in reply to: #2875455

User image

Expert
Salem
TriGuyBri - 2010-05-22 7:53 AM Darn Rain....I am going to have to do the first half of my Brick Workout in the gym on a Spinning Bike and then rush home to do my run portion.  Don't look forward to a 1.5 hr. bike ride in the gym.  Oh well.  Here we go.
Did go for a OWS last night; very rainy and a tad bit cold but doable.  It was nice to get out into the open water and test things our before June 6th Oly.

Great day everyone.
Brian

Really strggled with the brick run.  Started out OK but I think I experienced my first bonk.  I didn't have any GU and forgot to take a few Shot Bloks right after my bike.  Just felt spent toward the end.
2010-05-24 9:30 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Who's got races coming up? My first Oly is two weeks from this past Sunday.  I need to have a great week of training going into next weeks taper.  I am going to try to stay within my training limits and not over due it like I usually do.   I generally push it harder than I need to.  Run in the morning at the track....28 min tempo run with a 10 min. warmup and cool down/ and a swim in the evening.

Take Care everyone.
2010-05-25 5:50 AM
in reply to: #2879765

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
TriGuyBri - 2010-05-24 10:30 PM Who's got races coming up? My first Oly is two weeks from this past Sunday.  I need to have a great week of training going into next weeks taper.  I am going to try to stay within my training limits and not over due it like I usually do.   I generally push it harder than I need to.  Run in the morning at the track....28 min tempo run with a 10 min. warmup and cool down/ and a swim in the evening.

Take Care everyone.

Brian, can't wait to read your race reports.  You're going to have a great race!  Hope the weather cooperates for your training... we seem to be stuck in moldy weather here in Virginia.  Go get 'em!

-Stu
2010-05-25 10:27 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Thanks Stu.  I want to enjoy the day and not have to high of expectations for my first Oly.  Shooting for 2:40, but I believe I can do better just not sure about reaching my splits all at once.

Swim :28-:30 min
T1 3:00 min or less
Bike 1:10 - 1:15
T2 2:00 min or less
Run :55 min

2:38 - 2:45 projection.
2010-05-26 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2882308

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
TriGuyBri - 2010-05-25 11:27 PM Thanks Stu.  I want to enjoy the day and not have to high of expectations for my first Oly.  Shooting for 2:40, but I believe I can do better just not sure about reaching my splits all at once.

Swim :28-:30 min
T1 3:00 min or less
Bike 1:10 - 1:15
T2 2:00 min or less
Run :55 min

2:38 - 2:45 projection.

That would be a fantastic result, Brian.  My first (and so far only) one was just under 3 hours and I was pretty happy with that.  I'm looking forward to my next one to see if I can improve some especially on my run.  My goal will probably be in the 2:45-2:50 range depending on the course.  Here in Virginia (maybe in Oregon too), so much depends on the course.  Bike in the mountains and it kills both your bike and run times.  Even though I definitely use time, I think performance is better measured against the leaders like they do in the National Standings (they do that for the Virginia Tri series here).  Not perfect either, but better... best is vs. last year's time on the same course :-)

Back to training.  Did my bike home / to work routine last night and today and no problems with the heel.  I'll give the run a try tomorrow I think.  Looking back, I should have gotten stitches, but I'm too cheap and couldn't be bothered... lol.  I've decided to pass on the OLY in June... just a little too far to drive and too much other stuff going on right then.  Looking at an OLY in Aug though.

How is the recovery going Michael?  Heidi, sending healing vibes your way...

-Stu

Edited by juneapple 2010-05-26 10:19 AM

2010-05-26 9:00 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Hey everyone.  Sorry I've been a bit quiet -- work was insane the past few days.

I'm pretty excited about things right now -- I'm more or less back on the bike, and today I actually ran on the road for 20 minutes.  The vast majority of my running will still be in the pool for a while, but it felt great to run on teh road!

Brian, your training looks good.  You will do well in the race.  I have an Oly coming up too -- the weekend after yours.  I have my doubts that I'll finish -- I'll probably do the swim and bike then DNF.  (I've already paid for it so I'd like to get SOMETHING out of that entrance fee!

So let's talk about racing an Oly.  Sometimes people like to say "well, it's more or less like a sprint, just not quite as hard", and that's sort of right, but at the same time, there are some pretty important differences, in my opinion.  The two most obvious differences are that the swim is a higher percentage of the race, and that nutrition starts to matter.

So we can't just 'take a pass' on the swim.  I admit, I've done races where I more or less just 'made it through' the swim, knowing that I would make up a lot of ground on the bike and run.  That strategy won't work as well in an Oly.  For those of us who are weaker swimmers, finding a good draft becomes super important.  This could mean being willing (and able!) to go out pretty hard for the first 100-200 meters before you find a suitable pair of feet.  That is tough if you haven't practiced it.  Try it in the pool a few times.  Do some sets like 4x400, with each 400 as 200 HARD, 200 moderate.

In a sprint, nutrition is a non-issue.  You basically cannot 'bonk' in the time it takes to complete one.  In an Oly, you can definitely get to the point where calories are an issue.  It isn't a huge deal, but you ought to try to take in something because in the 2-3 hours that it will take to finish, you will probably exhaust yoru glycogen stores (the 'carbs' that are stored in your muscles, liver, and blood).  And an Oly is tricky, here, because you are still going pretty hard, which means that you are burning are relatively high percentage of carbs (versus fat).  In other words, it is pretty important to keep carbs in your system, or things can get ugly very quickly.  My advice is to try to take in 200-300 calories on the bike, then sports drink on the run as you can take it.  But this is very individual and you should practice it.

Finally, let's talk about pacing.  This is a bit tricky.  In a sprint, you can just go pretty much all out the whole way.  It can hurt the whole time and that's just fine.  (Fun even!)  An Oly is a bit tricker.  Consider this:  your pace at LT is approximately what you can hold for an hour.  So your swim pace in an Oly can be well faster than LT pace.  But the bike must be somewhat carefully paced a bit below LT pace (unless you ride at 26 mph!).  The run depends -- for some of us, 10K is more or less LT pace, for others, below LT pace.

I find the Oly distance to be the most interesting in some ways.  It isn't my strong suit, because I can't swim, but it is definitely interesting!

Edited by Experior 2010-05-26 9:02 PM
2010-05-26 10:01 PM
in reply to: #2882925

User image

Expert
Salem
 Here in Virginia (maybe in Oregon too), so much depends on the course. 

The Oly is pretty flat and is a beginners dream.  It is also the Tri Club Championships so I wanted to particiapte in that with the club I am in (I'm the Webmaster; not really a master, but do try). 

Happy to hear the heel is healing up. 

Edited by TriGuyBri 2010-05-26 10:01 PM
2010-05-26 10:18 PM
in reply to: #2884864

User image

Expert
Salem
Experior - 2010-05-26 7:00 PM Hey everyone.  Sorry I've been a bit quiet -- work was insane the past few days.

I'm pretty excited about things right now -- I'm more or less back on the bike, and today I actually ran on the road for 20 minutes.  The vast majority of my running will still be in the pool for a while, but it felt great to run on teh road!

Brian, your training looks good.  You will do well in the race.  I have an Oly coming up too -- the weekend after yours.  I have my doubts that I'll finish -- I'll probably do the swim and bike then DNF.  (I've already paid for it so I'd like to get SOMETHING out of that entrance fee!

So let's talk about racing an Oly.  Sometimes people like to say "well, it's more or less like a sprint, just not quite as hard", and that's sort of right, but at the same time, there are some pretty important differences, in my opinion.  The two most obvious differences are that the swim is a higher percentage of the race, and that nutrition starts to matter.

So we can't just 'take a pass' on the swim.  I admit, I've done races where I more or less just 'made it through' the swim, knowing that I would make up a lot of ground on the bike and run.  That strategy won't work as well in an Oly.  For those of us who are weaker swimmers, finding a good draft becomes super important.  This could mean being willing (and able!) to go out pretty hard for the first 100-200 meters before you find a suitable pair of feet.  That is tough if you haven't practiced it.  Try it in the pool a few times.  Do some sets like 4x400, with each 400 as 200 HARD, 200 moderate.

In a sprint, nutrition is a non-issue.  You basically cannot 'bonk' in the time it takes to complete one.  In an Oly, you can definitely get to the point where calories are an issue.  It isn't a huge deal, but you ought to try to take in something because in the 2-3 hours that it will take to finish, you will probably exhaust yoru glycogen stores (the 'carbs' that are stored in your muscles, liver, and blood).  And an Oly is tricky, here, because you are still going pretty hard, which means that you are burning are relatively high percentage of carbs (versus fat).  In other words, it is pretty important to keep carbs in your system, or things can get ugly very quickly.  My advice is to try to take in 200-300 calories on the bike, then sports drink on the run as you can take it.  But this is very individual and you should practice it.

Finally, let's talk about pacing.  This is a bit tricky.  In a sprint, you can just go pretty much all out the whole way.  It can hurt the whole time and that's just fine.  (Fun even!)  An Oly is a bit tricker.  Consider this:  your pace at LT is approximately what you can hold for an hour.  So your swim pace in an Oly can be well faster than LT pace.  But the bike must be somewhat carefully paced a bit below LT pace (unless you ride at 26 mph!).  The run depends -- for some of us, 10K is more or less LT pace, for others, below LT pace.

I find the Oly distance to be the most interesting in some ways.  It isn't my strong suit, because I can't swim, but it is definitely interesting!

Thanks for taking the time to provide that input Michael.  I have heard others say that it basically is all out (not for me) and others say it is important to pace the bike so you have the opportunity to finish the run.

I have been looking at the race registration and have some people in my club and others who are in my age group marked by their race number.  I'll try to find them that morning and hang behind them at the race start.  I have marked people who raced last year and may have the same pace I want to achieve and can hold or faster.  I can always back off and try to pickup another draft.

I have been doing some OWS the last two weeks in a Local Reservoir.  It has been cold, but it nice to get back into the open water and not the pool.  I am going to push a couple time around the Res. on Friday rather than once.

Regarding the bike.  I really need to pace myself herer.  I think I could get into trouble if I push it too hard.  If I have wind behind I'll take advantage of it and go a bit harder, but other wise I am looking for Mid 19's MPH.  Course if pretty flat with a couple rolling hills.

Run is pretty flat.  I need to start out in the 8:45's - 9:00 for the first half.  I will probabaly go out faster knowing myself.  Second half I would like to dail in a 8:30 pace and then the last mile or so kick it in under 8.  We'll see what I have left.

Thats the plan and I am sticking to it.
2010-05-26 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Michael, glad to see things are progressing.

Did a 38 minute run just before the heatwave yesterday, and tonight a 35 minute swim. Tonight was great for I found my rythm. Somehow during my 200m drill I was thinking about the PROs look like during the swim, how their stroke look like and was trying to picture me doing the same. For some reason I starting thinking about when I did some kayaking with, for lack of proper word, the two headed paddles and how I stroked from one side to the other. Well somehow I incorporated that in my swim stroke and well I found my rythm. I did 50m slowly then tried it in the 4x25 set. WOW! that was a cool feeling. My 200m cool down went so fast without any effort. All I want to do is go back out tomorrow night, it just might happen if time (wife) permits

Expecting thunder showers tomorrow so will probably not be able to get out for a run at work

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40