Me - 5k

Edited by chichitao 2010-04-26 9:38 AM

2010-04-26 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2816473

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!

Just to pass this on...Ruth will no longer be a part of this group.  She let me know that she is just too busy to get on the website with any consistency and keep up with her logs and with everyone in the group.  That is completely understandable and I wished her all the best.

Updated:

Chichitao's Mentor Group

chichitao - Tim
corstan - Sandra
MrsChach - Meggan
bassandbike - Patrick
Tri.me2010 - Courtney
wisprunner - Shauna
NRG42 - Cheri
debbiereid06 - Debbie
SoccerGK - Erica
LockOut - Pete
tmoran80 - Tim

2010-04-26 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I'm super excited for and jealous of everybody racing this weekend!  GOOD LUCK!  I had a dream last night that this weekend was my first tri, and I woke up, and was bummed that, nope, this weekend is still exams.  Yay.

Does anybody else everybody have those times where they just feel physically, mentally, and emotionally drained?  That's how I am right now.  My body is just tired, and not from the workouts, just from the stress!  My shins are really tight, which scares me so much.  I almost had to sit out my senior soccer season because they got so bad, and I ended up not practicing hardly at all and only playing on game days.  Then I took 3 months off and they were fine for a while until last semester when I started working out hard again and I had to take time off for them.  I don't want to do it again!  I've been stretching as much as possible and wearing my shin compression sleeves while running and every other time.  I just have to hope this soreness stays just soreness, and doesn't turn into sharp pains!

Anyway, now that I've vented, (thanks!) I do have to get back to studying!  This week cannot end soon enough...
2010-04-26 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2816973

User image

Expert
South Jersey
SoccerGK - 2010-04-26 11:23 AM I'm super excited for and jealous of everybody racing this weekend!  GOOD LUCK!  I had a dream last night that this weekend was my first tri, and I woke up, and was bummed that, nope, this weekend is still exams.  Yay.

Does anybody else everybody have those times where they just feel physically, mentally, and emotionally drained?  That's how I am right now.  My body is just tired, and not from the workouts, just from the stress!  My shins are really tight, which scares me so much.  I almost had to sit out my senior soccer season because they got so bad, and I ended up not practicing hardly at all and only playing on game days.  Then I took 3 months off and they were fine for a while until last semester when I started working out hard again and I had to take time off for them.  I don't want to do it again!  I've been stretching as much as possible and wearing my shin compression sleeves while running and every other time.  I just have to hope this soreness stays just soreness, and doesn't turn into sharp pains!

Anyway, now that I've vented, (thanks!) I do have to get back to studying!  This week cannot end soon enough...

Yep!  That is how I am right now and one of the main reasons I think I am skipping my race this weekend.  My husband is off this weekend and has to work the next two after that.  This is the first weekend since January that neither of us are working.  I was on my own with the kids the last two weekends and just exhausted.  I know I am their mom and this is what I signed up for.  I am not complaining about that at all.  I can feel myself slowly slipping to where I was when my PPD was bad.  I refuse to go back to that! 
2010-04-26 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2816973

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Just about every week!    No, not really, but I definitely agree that there are different kinds of tiredness.  The mental one is the one that gets me the most and is hard for people to understand b/c they can't see it.  Work is what usually gets me mentally exhausted as I work with a lot of paperwork and numbers and by weeks end I am just so tired from looking and analyzing it all.  I think that is what leads me to overeat or drink a little too much over the weekends.  And when I am mentally tired, it can sometimes make it hard for me to fall asleep and then that just adds to it all.  So, long story short...I feel ya!

And is that shin issue only when you run?  Have you ever gotten medical treatment for it?  You might want to take a look at Chi Running.  I've never fully gotten into it, but I have adopted a few things from it and now run as a mid to fore foot runner instead of striking the ground with my heal first.  It is supposed to reduce the impact on your legs from running.

SoccerGK - 2010-04-26 11:23 AM

Does anybody else everybody have those times where they just feel physically, mentally, and emotionally drained?  That's how I am right now.  My body is just tired, and not from the workouts, just from the stress! 
2010-04-26 2:04 PM
in reply to: #2817058

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
And we refuse to let you go back to that!

Enjoy the time off and weekend with the hubby!

Mrschach - 2010-04-26 11:51 AM I can feel myself slowly slipping to where I was when my PPD was bad.  I refuse to go back to that! 

2010-04-26 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2817519

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-04-26 2:04 PM And we refuse to let you go back to that!

Enjoy the time off and weekend with the hubby!

Mrschach - 2010-04-26 11:51 AM I can feel myself slowly slipping to where I was when my PPD was bad.  I refuse to go back to that! 

Thanks Tim!!  It was pretty bad and is one of the major factors in us not having a third!  I really want to head to the shore this weekend.  If we don't go down, I will be running the race.
2010-04-26 7:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
So I'm taking it easy again, unfortunately.  I'll be heading to the doctor tomorrow night.  I can't go tonight, because I have to watch my Montreal Canadiens hopefully beat the Capitals!  

I don't really have much news...  Kinda depressing, not having worked out since Thursday.  Hopefully the doc gives me some good news. 
2010-04-27 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2818181

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I thought for sure you were a Leafs fan! Innocent  Go Habs!  Only one more game.

Best of luck at the doc.

LockOut - 2010-04-26 7:04 PM So I'm taking it easy again, unfortunately.  I'll be heading to the doctor tomorrow night.  I can't go tonight, because I have to watch my Montreal Canadiens hopefully beat the Capitals!  

I don't really have much news...  Kinda depressing, not having worked out since Thursday.  Hopefully the doc gives me some good news. 
2010-04-27 7:50 AM

User image

Veteran
I hear you all on the being mentally and physically exhausted.  I am so mentally exhausted I can't even stand it.  I think the only outlet I have right now is working out! 

My parents divorced in December after being married for 33 years and it hasn't been an easy ride.  They close on the house we grew up in on Thursday and it has been hard helping my dad move out b/c he has been fighting everything since the divorce happened. 

Things are crazy, but i am glad to have you all on here to help push me and meet my goals because I so need to take care of me right now!

Thanks!!!
2010-04-27 7:55 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Since most/all of us either struggle or have struggled with our weight, I thought I would do a food topic this week.  Is there one food or type of food that is your downfall and that you really have a hard time resisting?  And what can you do to help minimize the splurging or reduce the calories?

My weakness is a local taco joint.  My wife and I eat there pretty much once a weekend and I have yet to eat anything bad there.  I crave it all week long (and probably what got me thinking about this topic!).  They have incredibly fresh soft tacos, an amazing queso, and an awesomely good cream soda.  mmmmmmm  I usually order 2 tacos, we share the chips/queso, and I get my cream soda.  I need to start limiting myself a little more when we go there.  I think if I can start getting 1 taco, share the queso, then drink water...that should help me consume a little bit fewer calories (and save some cash), then I won't feel as guilty about going there.

And now that summer is rolling around I gotta be careful about my ice cream consumption too!

So what are your guilty pleasures?

Edited by chichitao 2010-04-27 7:57 AM

2010-04-27 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2818977

Tim,

I am a bad one to ask about this food thing. I can put on the pounds fast and take a long time to get them off. What I have found is that I need to not have an off limit food. I take one half day or one meal a week and let myself eat what I want without feeling guilty. I know that people will disagree with this however. I need to know that on Tuesdays (yeah today) I can have something that I am craving. So today I will eat chocolate cake and not feel bad about it. I figure I can live this way but if I tell myself I can't ever have anything or feel guilty about it, well, that just doesn't work for me. So my thought is, enjoy your taco restaurant once a week. Allow yourself to have it and really enjoy it. If you are like me, the novelty will wear off and you may even start making lower calorie choice during your weekly adventure.
2010-04-27 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Hey Shauna...I don't disagree with that at all.  There is one "lifestyle change" (formerly known as a diet) called Body for Life that a lot of my friends have done and it uses that exact principal.  You are allowed one cheat day per week to eat anything you want.  My problem is that I tend to have 2-3 "cheat meals" over a weekend...so instead of being dedicated enough to cut it down to one day, I am trying to cut back on each meal.  We'll see how that works!  Enjoy your chocolate cake!
2010-04-27 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2818977

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
chichitao - 2010-04-27 7:55 AM

So what are your guilty pleasures?

Oh gosh, that's easy.  Two of them.  Cheese and juice.  Most of my calories in college came from those.  I've cut juice out of my diet, for the most part, by making fruit smoothies every morning.  I always get a sweet tooth at night for juice, but I've been forcing myself to drink water instead.  I've noticed my GI issues have gotten a lot better since I cut this out of my diet, too! 

And I put cheese on everything.  I got in the habit of that because I have such low bone density, and have since I was 13, so I take in as much milk, cheese, and yogurt as I can handle.  The only one of those three I don't get sick of is cheese!  Unfortunately, there's so much fat in it that I have to be really careful how much I eat.

2010-04-27 9:42 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Hi guys,

I am back home and a proud finisher of my first 1/2 marathon .  Mother nature tried to beat me but I won and got to finish before they pulled runners off the course.  My finish time was 2:22 was hoping for 2:15 but with the weather and hills I am pretty pleased for my first long run.

I loved Nashville and had a lot of fun!  Even got Front row VIP tickets to the big concent....huge country fan so great day on saturday for me!

I am back at work and feeling fine, quads a little tight but back in the pool this morning

Thanks for the inspires and support.....looking for my next race.
2010-04-27 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Shauna- i totally agree with your idea.  I don't think we should ever limit our selves completely.  I used to be a weight watchers leader and that is why they give extra points in a week so you can use them as you want. 
I usually have one cheat day a week or sometimes I do what Tim does and will do three cheater meals. 

My guilty pleasure is a peanut butter cup blizzard from DQ!  I love them and could eat them everyday.  I am a huge fan of ice cream so that is my weakness. 

Cheri-Great job on your half marathon!!!!  That is fantastic!  Who did you get to see in concert?  I am a big country fan too!

2010-04-27 1:45 PM
in reply to: #2819355

User image

Expert
South Jersey
NRG42 - 2010-04-27 9:42 AM Hi guys,

I am back home and a proud finisher of my first 1/2 marathon .  Mother nature tried to beat me but I won and got to finish before they pulled runners off the course.  My finish time was 2:22 was hoping for 2:15 but with the weather and hills I am pretty pleased for my first long run.

I loved Nashville and had a lot of fun!  Even got Front row VIP tickets to the big concent....huge country fan so great day on saturday for me!

I am back at work and feeling fine, quads a little tight but back in the pool this morning

Thanks for the inspires and support.....looking for my next race.

Congrats on a great race!!  What is next for you?
2010-04-27 2:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Cheri, congrats on your first half Mary, sounds like you had a great first time experience and I'm glad you didn't get pulled from the course because of weather, that would have sucked.

My weakness is a big plate of nachos with all the fixin's, dripping in cheese, sour cream, quacamole and hot salsa.  now luckily or unluckily some would say,  the nachos I enjoy are at the top of Grouse Mountain and I have to climb up the mountain to get to them, which I do almost every weekend with my husband when the trail is open.  So I think I earn that treat and the beer I wash it down with.

When my husband and I decided that enough was enough and we were going to get off the couch and get into shape, we knew we had to change our diet drastically, but we also knew(from previous attempts) that denial just creates a monster that will eventually attack every yummy and bad for you food out there.  So, we determined that we would eat very well every day, but once a week, we are allowed a cheater lunch and every weekend we have a cheater meal and a treat(ice cream, cake, doughnut, cupcake, chips, cheezies..whatever) and we still stick to that same rule.

Now I have a question, as some of you know, I have been doing a running clinic since January for my upcoming 1/2 marathon.  Although I have gotten some real benefits out of the clinic, running buddies and planned runs, I have not been real impressed with the clinic, mainly because the instructor is always away and we just get our planned runs via email, and several of our lectures didn't happen because no one showed up to do them.  I won't be recommending the clinics to anyone anytime soon if they continue using the same clinic leader(my husband had the same leader the previous year and had similar experiences).  I will, of course, submit my concerns on the course evaluation this week.  Anyway that was just my little rant. 

My question is about the runs he has scheduled in our taper week, he wants us to do a 13km race pace run tonight and a 10km race pace run tomorrow night...I've heard from several people now that those distances seem crazy for a taper week...and I'm tempted to not go tonight and just do a run on my own.  Anyone have any input on my dilemma?
2010-04-27 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2819355

Cheri,

Great job this weekend! I am also proud of you!

Shauna
2010-04-27 3:49 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Thanks guys for all the support.  I had a great time after the finish line .

I now need to get my new tri bike off the trainer and outside.  I am the only tri who is affraid of my bike.  I made a committment of two long rides a week starting this week.  I am super scared and have no clue, but practicing makes perfect and I will be asking for some help from you guys. 

I am signing up today for the Galena sprint on May 22nd. 

The concert was FANTASTIC!  Jerrod Neimann, Heidi Newfeild and John Rich w/ cowboy Troy.  

2010-04-27 4:54 PM

User image

Regular
My weakness is pizza usually. Its just SOOO good.... OR ANY food they serve at my family parties.... My family KNOWS HOW TO EAT...It's tough... cause if I "take it easy"  they give me a hard time about eating like a bird... Truth is... those parties are part of the reason I got so over weight.

I have really learned to gage what I eat and how much I can eat. I am pretty good at it now. I try to just keep temptation out of my house and it makes life a lot easier.

I found a new little treat I LOVE though.... Luna Bars White Chocolate Chip Macadamian Nut Protien Bars. WOW... they taste just like a cookie, but are actually good for you!!! YUMMY

2010-04-27 5:51 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Cheri - GREAT JOB at the race!!!  I have two friends who did it too that were happy they got to finish without the weather being TOO awful.  I heard a lot of the marathoners had to cut it short.  And GOOD LUCK on the bike!!!  I'm sure you'll get the hang of it really quickly!

So I took my first exam of the semester today, Civil Procedure, and I think I did okay!!!  But Property is on Friday, and that's the killer.  After that's over, my Constitutional Law exam on Monday won't be bad at all.

But after my exam, we had to go to the grocery store to get something for Ryan to make for a potluck tomorrow, and I changed my mind to the "guilty pleasures" question.  My new answer is:

FOOD!

Yes, I like food.  All of it.  I was looking at everything from ramen noodles to gummie bears to ice cream to shish kabobs.  I think most of it was just because I was craving some comfort food really badly after the exam, but still, it was pure torture.  Ryan and I settled on some ice cream to get though to reward me for exam week!  But I did make sure it was "relatively" not bad for you ice cream and that it was a SMALL portion (only like 2 servings) so I can't go hog wild.  I'm going to bust it open after dinner tonight!  Yummmmm....

Thanks everyone for all your support!
2010-04-27 6:55 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Sandra - I don't have time to go more in depth but you need to fire that instructor.  I would not do more than 4-5mi today or tomorrow, rest day (or do another sport), then an easy 2-3mi run.  You can add a super light short jog in the last day or two if you want.  This is the week you want your legs to recover...nothing is gained by doing longish runs this week.
2010-04-27 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2821140

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-04-27 6:55 PM Sandra - I don't have time to go more in depth but you need to fire that instructor.  I would not do more than 4-5mi today or tomorrow, rest day (or do another sport), then an easy 2-3mi run.  You can add a super light short jog in the last day or two if you want.  This is the week you want your legs to recover...nothing is gained by doing longish runs this week.

I agree with Tim.  I started to respond earlier today but had to stop because of work issues.  What did you decide to do today?
2010-04-27 10:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
I decided to do my own thing tonight, on the advice of many and did a race pace 5km, felt really good despite the wind, rain and hail I encountered on the way.  

Tomorrow night I have bootcamp, Thursday I'm hoping for some sun to shine and getting on my bike for an outdoor ride...fingers crossed.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103