BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-06-15 10:23 PM
in reply to: #2776638

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED
Colin

I signed up for the Chattanooga Waterfront Olympic Tri... What plan or weeks should I import from to keep my training on track... Will have a goal to beat which will be sub 2:53:57...The other plan you suggested for this weekend's race sounds good!!
Thanks

Tim1

2010-06-16 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2924360

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-06-15 11:23 PM Colin

I signed up for the Chattanooga Waterfront Olympic Tri... What plan or weeks should I import from to keep my training on track... Will have a goal to beat which will be sub 2:53:57...The other plan you suggested for this weekend's race sounds good!!
Thanks

Tim1

Good for you Tim!  Whats the date of the race?  Once I know that, I can give you a better idea on this...
2010-06-16 5:17 PM
in reply to: #2926210

User image

Veteran
Georgia
hockeyhands - 2010-06-16 3:58 PM
shake-n-bake - 2010-06-15 11:23 PM Colin

Thanks

Tim1

Good for you Tim!  Whats the date of the race?  Once I know that, I can give you a better idea on this...

The race is July 11th,2010!! Thanks
2010-06-16 6:18 PM
in reply to: #2926598

User image

Expert
MI

Hey all!

Well my foot is still not fully healed.  After some more internet searching I think I have decided that it's the lateral plantar fascia that's affected.  (From what I understand this isn't like the plantar fasciitis that you hear about, as that more affects the medial plantar fascia.)  Anyway, so I've just been trying to stay off of it, walking on the toes.  Although I am quite sad that I can't get out to improve my running, I've been doing extra swimming and biking, so hopefully that's having a positive effect in those areas!

As of now, I'm still planning on doing my sprint tri which is a week from now. Worse case scenario I can run on my toes if the foot pain is still there- I've gotten quite used to walking on my toes so I really don't think it'll be that big of a deal... I did that for like 7 miles of my half-marathon and the only problem I really encountered was the blisters forming, so 3 miles should be fine.  In fact, I may just run on the toes anyway as a precaution, heh.

TIM- I read your race report- great job!!

2010-06-17 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Sounds like everyone is having a great tri season - it makes me excited to do mine in August.  I keep hearing/reading about events that are sooner and I have to restrain myself from signing up!  I figure at this point I have enough on my plate with a 1/2 marathon, my own tri, and all these dance rehearsals.  Here's a bit of an update on me:

Swim:  I'm timing myself on ever-increasing distances to be sure that I improve.  I'm past the slow drilling portion of the Total Immersion program and while I don't know that I swim a lot faster, I certainly swim more efficiently and can swim for longer without rest.  I'm working on getting my short distance swim times down since my swim portion is only 375m.

Bike:  A friend of mine who does several Ironmans a year has become my unofficial coach.  We trade emails once or twice a week and he has given me a ton of great tips.  Last week, for the first time, I felt like the biking was fun instead of awful.  I consider that to be a MAJOR improvement!

Run:  The running has been rough lately with lots of post-run pain in my leg muscles.  After my run yesterday, I couldn't sleep for all the hurt, but I barely have any soreness today.  Its very weird, and I don't like it.  I'm wondering if my post-run nutrition needs some work.  I've never really had this problem before and its discouraging.

As always, any comments/questions/suggestions are welcome!  Thanks, everybody, for leading and encouraging by example!!
2010-06-17 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2926598

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-06-16 6:17 PM

The race is July 11th,2010!! Thanks

Ok great.  That means the race is 24 days from today or about 3.5 weeks.  If you back to about 3.5 weeks left in your training plan, that should be the best workouts for you to do during that time.  This have you doing 2.5 weeks of prep work with some pretty high intensity and duration and then 1 week of tapering/recovery in preparation for the race.  That make sense/work for you?

2010-06-17 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2926718

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-06-16 7:18 PM

Hey all!

Well my foot is still not fully healed.  After some more internet searching I think I have decided that it's the lateral plantar fascia that's affected.  (From what I understand this isn't like the plantar fasciitis that you hear about, as that more affects the medial plantar fascia.)  Anyway, so I've just been trying to stay off of it, walking on the toes.  Although I am quite sad that I can't get out to improve my running, I've been doing extra swimming and biking, so hopefully that's having a positive effect in those areas!

As of now, I'm still planning on doing my sprint tri which is a week from now. Worse case scenario I can run on my toes if the foot pain is still there- I've gotten quite used to walking on my toes so I really don't think it'll be that big of a deal... I did that for like 7 miles of my half-marathon and the only problem I really encountered was the blisters forming, so 3 miles should be fine.  In fact, I may just run on the toes anyway as a precaution, heh.

TIM- I read your race report- great job!!

Sorry to hear that Samantha, but you're doing the right thing.  Trying to push through the injury is just going to make things worse.  So you don't feel ANY pain when you run on your toes?  If that is the case, I have no problem with you doing so.  In the long run, it should really strengthen your calves and hopefully help your running.

Definitely keep us posted on everything and especially the injury.
2010-06-17 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2927881

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
sbright - 2010-06-17 11:53 AM Sounds like everyone is having a great tri season - it makes me excited to do mine in August.  I keep hearing/reading about events that are sooner and I have to restrain myself from signing up!  I figure at this point I have enough on my plate with a 1/2 marathon, my own tri, and all these dance rehearsals.  Here's a bit of an update on me:

Swim:  I'm timing myself on ever-increasing distances to be sure that I improve.  I'm past the slow drilling portion of the Total Immersion program and while I don't know that I swim a lot faster, I certainly swim more efficiently and can swim for longer without rest.  I'm working on getting my short distance swim times down since my swim portion is only 375m.

Bike:  A friend of mine who does several Ironmans a year has become my unofficial coach.  We trade emails once or twice a week and he has given me a ton of great tips.  Last week, for the first time, I felt like the biking was fun instead of awful.  I consider that to be a MAJOR improvement!

Run:  The running has been rough lately with lots of post-run pain in my leg muscles.  After my run yesterday, I couldn't sleep for all the hurt, but I barely have any soreness today.  Its very weird, and I don't like it.  I'm wondering if my post-run nutrition needs some work.  I've never really had this problem before and its discouraging.

As always, any comments/questions/suggestions are welcome!  Thanks, everybody, for leading and encouraging by example!!

Hey Sarah,

You're probably making the right decision by holding off on doing your tri.  You've definitely got plenty on your plate right now and you may really stress yourself by throwing an extra event in there.  With how busy you are, August will be here before you know it.

Good stuff on your swim.  You will find that as you get more comfortable in the water that you may not necessarily get a whole time faster, but you will become much more efficient and not be as tired getting the same results.  As a result, it sounds like its going great.

Very cool about your friend helping you out.  I'm very glad to hear it you're enjoyed your ride.  We definitely want to get you so you're enjoying every (Ok, maybe just most) rides!  This is supposed to be fun.  Sometimes when I get stressed out or can't get motivated during a workout, I just think about how great of a thing it is I am doing for my body and how awesome its going to be when I achieve my goal.  That usually does the trick for me.

As for nutrition on and after the run, what are you currently doing for hydration?  Often times efficiently fueling prior to and during the run can caused this.  Why don't you give a little more info on what you're doing now. 
2010-06-17 6:05 PM
in reply to: #2927881

User image

Expert
MI
Sarah- so what are you doing now for your biking?  Are you riding outside or still inside?  After I did my one bike ride on the stationary after messing up my wrist (it's pretty much all better now), I decided I actually like the stationary. Sealed haha.  I feel like it's easier to put forth more effort... whereas when I'm outside riding I find it's much easier to just kinda sit back and relax... which of course isn't a bad thing, but not good for training!  So, I'm just wondering if you're inside, what kind of workouts you're doing.
2010-06-17 6:10 PM
in reply to: #2928411

User image

Expert
MI
hockeyhands - 2010-06-17 2:19 PM

Sorry to hear that Samantha, but you're doing the right thing.  Trying to push through the injury is just going to make things worse.  So you don't feel ANY pain when you run on your toes?  If that is the case, I have no problem with you doing so.  In the long run, it should really strengthen your calves and hopefully help your running.

Definitely keep us posted on everything and especially the injury.

Yeah, when I was running on my toes, I felt NO pain.  Sometimes if I'm walking barefoot and I walk in a certain way I can feel a painful twinge, but usually with shoes it's not a problem and almost easier.  (Although I've found that walking on soft surfaces, ie grass, created more of a problem.)  Sigh.  lol.
2010-06-18 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2929097

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-06-17 7:10 PM

Yeah, when I was running on my toes, I felt NO pain.  Sometimes if I'm walking barefoot and I walk in a certain way I can feel a painful twinge, but usually with shoes it's not a problem and almost easier.  (Although I've found that walking on soft surfaces, ie grass, created more of a problem.)  Sigh.  lol.

Ok, if that's the case Samantha, I'm don't see much of a problem with you running on your toes.  Like I mentioned before, this should really strengthen your calves.  I hope that works out for you and I'll you can get back to normal running soon.

2010-06-18 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi Everyone,

How's everyone's training going?  It seems to be getting a little stale on here.  Does anyone have any questions?  Overall, I couldn't be happier with the group.  Almost all of you are doing a terrific job with your training.

Just a little update on myself, I took almost the entire last week and half off from training.  I officially start my Ironman training on Monday so its very good to break up your season to prevent burnout and since I did a 5 month training program for my half Ironman, it was time for a little break.  I did meet up with my tri team last saturday for a short ride and swim, but that was really about it.  However, I dove right back into my training on Wednesday because I am doing a sprint race on Sunday.  I'm really looking forward to the race because I'm helping to organize it and it comes along extremely well.

I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend and I look forward to hearing back from all of you soon!
2010-06-20 1:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Hello Everyone!!
Happy Father's Day to all the fathers in our group..
Just got home from during a sprint tri today unoffically time was 52:12.. I will post a report later today and let you know when it is up...Everything went well except for the transistion area being far from the water exit and then it was very large..1097 people overall did the event. Wowser!!

Tim (1)

2010-06-20 6:34 PM
in reply to: #2932687

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-06-20 2:29 PM

Hello Everyone!!
Happy Father's Day to all the fathers in our group..
Just got home from during a sprint tri today unoffically time was 52:12.. I will post a report later today and let you know when it is up...Everything went well except for the transistion area being far from the water exit and then it was very large..1097 people overall did the event. Wowser!!

Tim (1)

Congrats Timmy!  Sounds like you did great!  I had a very good race myself.  I finished first in my age group and 3 overall in mens.  I plan to post my race report tomorrow as well.
2010-06-20 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2932983

User image

Expert
MI
Well, I'd say I had a good week!  There were times I didn't want to get out the door, but I got past that and was able to swim and bike 5 times each this week.  This included a long (slow) ride of 40 miles, but, the rest were on the stationary bike.  (Going through a phase where I like the stationary...)  For the swimming, I ended up with a weekly distance of just over 10K for the second week in a row.  Another mini-accomplishment, today I did some 100s as my swim workout, and for the first time I saw a time of under 2:00 for a 100m in 1:57, which was completely unexpected (I was thinking I'd be in the range of maybe 2:02-2:05), so that was very exciting!

Still no running.  Think the foot's getting better, but I'm still trying not to walk on it so can't really say for sure.

Sprint tri in three days, can't wait!
2010-06-20 9:56 PM

sorry it has been awhile but training has been on and off for me.  With a shoulder injury and intense sparing the Tri training has suffered.  Although the last run and rides I have taken have been faster than before.  I did a pretty fast hill run today about 6.5 miles.  At one point it was a 9% grade.  I ran the entire way up albeit very slow.  Biking is going good and I got a bike CPU this weekend I need to install prior to Tuesday when I will be riding home from work.

Good luck everyone. 

2010-06-21 3:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Here is a link to my race report from 6/20/10 http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=213952

Hope I did better this time Colin..

Tim(1)
2010-06-21 6:12 PM
in reply to: #2934982

User image

Expert
MI
WOW!  Impressive improvements on the bike and run Tim!  You know, after reading your last race report I was thinking that if the knee surgery doesn't hold you up from progressing your run, you could probably do really well in the future in terms of AG placement!  For having only been running for about a month now that's pretty darn good!  I hope you'll be able to continue to safely make progress with your run, it seems like you can definitely be competitive in your age group!  Safely is the key.
2010-06-22 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2933204

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-06-20 10:19 PM Well, I'd say I had a good week!  There were times I didn't want to get out the door, but I got past that and was able to swim and bike 5 times each this week.  This included a long (slow) ride of 40 miles, but, the rest were on the stationary bike.  (Going through a phase where I like the stationary...)  For the swimming, I ended up with a weekly distance of just over 10K for the second week in a row.  Another mini-accomplishment, today I did some 100s as my swim workout, and for the first time I saw a time of under 2:00 for a 100m in 1:57, which was completely unexpected (I was thinking I'd be in the range of maybe 2:02-2:05), so that was very exciting!

Still no running.  Think the foot's getting better, but I'm still trying not to walk on it so can't really say for sure.

Sprint tri in three days, can't wait!

Way to go Samantha!  Way to battle through the lack of motivation.  This happens to everyone from time to time.  Its those time of efforts that will make you successful with your training and most likely in life.

I know its tough, but you're doing the right thing by not running.  Definitely let us know how the race goes!  Please be careful out there with the foot!
2010-06-22 12:53 PM
in reply to: #2933262

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Slowboy3094 - 2010-06-20 10:56 PM sorry it has been awhile but training has been on and off for me.  With a shoulder injury and intense sparing the Tri training has suffered.  Although the last run and rides I have taken have been faster than before.  I did a pretty fast hill run today about 6.5 miles.  At one point it was a 9% grade.  I ran the entire way up albeit very slow.  Biking is going good and I got a bike CPU this weekend I need to install prior to Tuesday when I will be riding home from work.

Good luck everyone. 

Its all good Chris.  When you're doing as much training variety as you are, sometimes you may not get it all in.  As long as you're staying active, I'm happy!

Very cool about the CPU.  That should be very beneficial for you!
2010-06-22 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2934982

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-06-21 4:01 PM Here is a link to my race report from 6/20/10 http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=213952

Hope I did better this time Colin..

Tim(1)

Just read and commented on your report Tim.  Way to go!!!  You did a great job with your write up as well!

We can discuss hill climbing in more detail if you would like, but take a look at what I wrote.

Congrats man!

2010-06-22 1:17 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi Everyone,

Here's a link to the race report I did for my race on Sunday if anyone is interested in reading it.
2010-06-23 7:36 AM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Thanks for the comments on the race report guys!  I'm glad to hear you find them beneficial when thinking about your own racing.  I strongly recommend reading other people's race reports because you can really learn a lot from them.  Typically you'll see where people made mistakes and what they plan to change for next time.  Hopefully that will help you from making the same mistake.  It's also a great idea to look at some race reports of racers that did an event your planning to do in the past.  You can usually find details about the course that could really help you on race day.

2010-06-23 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2938159

User image

Expert
MI

ugh, I'm really disappointed about tonight's race.  It was really bad.  I need to figure out what's going on with this cramping issue... maybe I am going out too hard, or maybe it's something to do with nutrition... (is it possible to drink too much?  aside from the "going out too hard" thing, I find that to be the only commonality from the last race that I can think of...)  It pretty much started with the swim and progressively got worse... I started feel it coming on in the swim but didn't really think anything of it, and then during the bike I could feel it a bit more at which point I started to get worried about the run... then basically throughout the whole run I was battling with the cramping.   I tried to walk it off several times but I don't think it really helped so much...  After I find out my splits I'll post up a race report...

2010-06-23 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2940198

User image

Veteran
Georgia
michgirlsk - 2010-06-23 9:09 PM

ugh, I'm really disappointed about tonight's race.  It was really bad.  I need to figure out what's going on with this cramping issue... maybe I am going out too hard, or maybe it's something to do with nutrition... (is it possible to drink too much?  aside from the "going out too hard" thing, I find that to be the only commonality from the last race that I can think of...)  It pretty much started with the swim and progressively got worse... I started feel it coming on in the swim but didn't really think anything of it, and then during the bike I could feel it a bit more at which point I started to get worried about the run... then basically throughout the whole run I was battling with the cramping.   I tried to walk it off several times but I don't think it really helped so much...  After I find out my splits I'll post up a race report...

[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that you suffered from cramping, when,what and how much are you drinking before the race.. What are you eating before the race also?? On the swim part I found that I have to get into my groove and try to zone the people around me out or I will push myself to hard and be zonked out... Look forward to your race report...Wink

Tim(1)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24