Merrimack, New Hampshire
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 37s
Overall Rank = 4/251
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 1/20
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a few minutes after 5 and before my alarm clock which is always nice. Had a couple bananas and some orange juice, packed up the car, and picked up my Dad.
Since I helped organize the race, I had to get there extra early, but still didn't need to be there till 6, which wasn't bad. I did a lot of running around helping people and trying to make sure everyone was all set with their timing chips.
Event warmup:

Did a short run out to the where I parked the car and back with a few strides. I also did a very short warm up in the water but there wasn't much room to work with due to the setup so I maybe did a 100 yards or so. I took one GU right before I left transition.
Swim
  • 09m 36s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had a good swim. I started all the way to the right and came up really hard. I'd say it was close to a sprint. I actually didn't really plan to go that hard, but it just kinda happened. When I got close to the first buoy, I was expecting to hit some traffic with some other swimmers in my AG, but it never happened. I ended up catching the majority of the girls in the way before me. I felt great in the water and was happy with the way things went. The only complaint I have is the timing mat for the swim wasn't until right before the transition area and there was about 200 yards between the water and transition. As a result, my swim time was much faster than advertised. I'm pretty sure when I looked at my watch I was at our 8:15-8:20 coming out of the water, but I was happy about.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much, very happy with my swim, but you can always get faster.
Transition 1
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Had a great T1...it was the fastest overall of the day. I got the wetsuit off quite quickly and jumped on my bike quite well. I had a touch of trouble getting the helmet on, but no complaints. I'd also like to mention I probably had the best transition spot of anyone. This definitely didn't hurt either...

Nada
Bike
  • 41m 33s
  • 16 miles
  • 23.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed hard on the bike. My HR was really high the entire race, but I felt good the whole time. I pushed it up the hills and I'm very happy with my ride. I did smaller drinks of fluids more often, which I think worked out well. I also took one go about 3/4s of the way through the ride.

Always can get faster. I was shooting for an average power of around 300 watts so I came up a bit short.
Transition 2
  • 00m 26s
Comments:

Fastest transition time overall for T2 as well. I had a touch of trouble getting my left shoe on, but no complaints.

I had a great day in the transition area.
Run
  • 21m 21s
  • 3.18 miles
  • 06m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm not sure my run time is right as my watch had 20:51, but oh well. My numbers weren't where I wanted them to be on the run, but I did push hard. I didn't cramp at all which was great. There were a few times I felt like I was on the verge of cramping, but slowed down a bit and got away from it.

Get Faster! I'm now willing to admit it, my run is my limiter!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit after and spoke with some off the other organizers and finishers as they crossed. I did what I could to help out and did stay to long after it was over helping to clean up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I mentioned it above, but my running still needs work. I'll keep working on it and getting faster.

Event comments:

I'm a little biased as an organizer of the race, but I don't think things could have gone much better. I had a lot of fun at the race and everything went smoothly. Unfortunately my Dad has a pulled groin so he wasn't able to race, but he volunteered and we spent a good amount of time together.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-03-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:36 | 600 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/20
Overall: 10/251
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Full body
Course: A nice single loop course that went counter clockwise.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:40
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:33 | 16 miles | 23.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/20
Overall: 9/251
Avg HR: 182 Max HR: 194 Avg Power: 277
Wind: None
Course: An 8 mile loop twice. A few rolling hills, but pretty flat overall.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:21 | 03.18 miles | 06m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 16/251
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 189 Max HR: 199
Course: A nice relatively flat loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-22 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: Greater Nashua Y Tri

2010-06-22 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2936500

User image

Expert
MI
Subject: RE: Greater Nashua Y Tri
Great job to my BT mentor!   I like reading your race reports because you include details which give me some ideas to consider for my own races!
2010-06-22 8:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Great race Colin as always a detailed race report which helps out us newbies...

Tim(1)
2010-06-22 9:07 PM

Woodstock
I'll echo the others, Colin, that was a great race!  Also cool that you helped organize it.  Congrats!
--Russ
2010-06-22 9:29 PM

User image

Salem
4th over-all?! WHAT HAPPENED??

just kidding, needless to say.  your times are STAGGERING.  like, i can't even wrap my head around them. 

if that suit in your new avatar is what you're wearing at imaz ill be keeping a look-out for an orange blur blowing by me several times that day.

i still gotta see you run, man.  not sure why gravity has chosen to ignore you but i gotta see this with my own two eyes.
2010-06-23 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Looks like everything is your limiter! Joking of course.  9, 10, and 16th OVERALL in each.  Pretty freaking consistent.  A testament to consistent, smart, hard training.  You should be a coach or something.

That race uni looks pretty damned cool if you ask me.

Those transitions times are simply ridiculous.  Maybe you should start running barefoot to cut T2 down by 3 seconds.

2010-06-23 8:23 PM

Uxbridge
Congrats on a great race...speed it up in transition...will ya??? LOL!!!!! Amazing!!!!
2011-06-13 9:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern New Hampshire

Wow, 40 seconds in T1. I was at 6 minutes!

Here I was all excited that I was passing so many people on the bike and then a giant "whoooosh" sound hits me as you go flying by me like I was stopped..LOL. Great race, Colin. Thanks for the detailed race report that helps us newbies.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Greater Nashua Y Tri Rss Feed