BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2010-06-07 10:47 PM
in reply to: #2906898

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED
Hi all, it's so good to be back and catch up on what you've been up to! Denise, way to go! You're report was so inspiring! Thanks for sharing that with us!

I got in some pretty good lake swimming last week, and had something of an "aha" moment I wanted to share. I hear a lot of folks talk about feeling panicky in open water, hyperventilating, etc. I noticed that when you first get into cold water, your lungs sort of tighten up and your breathing is very shallow. This is just physiology, but if you don't know about it, you'll interpret this as a panic attack, and it will likely snowball. If you expect it to happen, you can just tell yourself breathing will feel a bit tight for the first few minutes, then you'll be OK. If you can get in the water before race start, it helps. At least splash some cold water on your face if you can.  No need to panic!

Marsha, good luck on your first tri!! Just remember, space in transition will probably be very tight, so less is more! Also, you don't want to have to dig through too much stuff in the heat of the moment. And my condolences on the Garmin!

Carl, so sorry to hear about the devastation in your community. I grew up in tornado country in TX, and I still have nightmares. Glad you and yours are ok.

And Wilson, enough with the excuses! Two jobs, kids, 8 hour flights, you and the wife on different continents, it's not like you're busy or anything! Get to it!

It's good to be back!

Turtle

2010-06-08 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2907265

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Carl, so sorry to hear about the tornados in your area!!  Unbelievable what Mother Nature can dish out, pretty much puts everything into perspective doesn't it??  I remember 1997, we were just getting ready to leave TX to be stationed in Germany and the town of Jarell got hit, an entire neighborhood just disappeared, nothing left but the foundations of houses.  I remember the sky, huge bands of clouds rotating counter clockwise....  I am so glad that your friends and family and business made it through safely and hope the cleanup goes quickly and smoothly...
2010-06-08 11:32 PM
in reply to: #2778561

User image

Expert
BRAVA, Denise! What a wonderful experience, and a great race report! Way to go in such a phenomenal accomplishment!

I've been reading about the tornadoes, since some of them touched down in downstate IL, to devastating effect. I do hope you're all safe and well-- it's frightening to see what nature can dish out when she's a mind to it.

Thanks, too, for the posts on transitions-- my next race is Sunday, so I've got to start thinking about what to bring and planning how to things up!

You guys are an amazing group-- I feel so lucky to be part of it and to hear about everyone's adventures! Go, MMMers, go!! *cheers*
2010-06-09 11:33 PM

User image

Expert
Once again, Hilde was right-- because she's right about EVERYTHING, because she ROCKS-- the hills on the brick tonight didn't (quite) kill me... They kept going up and up and up, and several times I thought about stopping, but I just kept on plugging and then suddenly they were done and it was time to do down-- whee! A very good lesson, this: just keep going at your own pace-- forget about everyone else (heck, all the PTCers could and did EASILY outpace me from the outset) and DON'T GIVE UP. Eventually, the hard stuff ends and the rest is swoopy downhills.

(Plus, the Pasadena Tri Club is a GREAT group of people-- if any of you is ever down here for any length of time, do get in contact with them: they're friendly and VERY open to newbies!)

I'm now tired, but in a good way-- and no longer sucking down water as fast as humanly possible, so I must be recovering somewhat. Time for some yoga to stretch so I don't turn into a giant cramp in the morning!
2010-06-10 7:37 AM
in reply to: #2912500

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
The thing about biking hills is..... even when you get better at them it still hurts!  You just get faster... just sayin'.
2010-06-10 11:23 PM

User image

I'm out of town Friday and Saturday.  Good luck to all who might be racing this weekend.  I hope everyone else has a safe and productive weekend.

2010-06-11 6:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Well, I finally got brave and signed up for a Tri.  Yeah, it sucks a bit that it is a Wednesday night, but I think the advantages outweigh the Wednesday night thing.  I plan to only work 1/2 day that day so I can go to the venue (a state park) and hang out there.  My thought is to test the waters a bit with this one and if things work out then I can sign up for something more real in July and/or August.  The big motivation was I could use a $30.00 off coupon I received for volunteering at a marathon in Arpil, so I didn't have to pay a lot of money to enter.  Anyway, now I have a date I'll need to be a bit more consistent with my biking and swimming.  Thank you mentor group for pushing me to enter!  (hopefully I won't regret...)
2010-06-11 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2915015

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Janet, you will be fine!!  The first one is really just for the experience, to see how transitions work, to see how your body feels as it goes through each sport.  Then you'll know what you need to work on before your NEXT one!!  And good for you for getting $30 off, that is great!!

Alex is racing this weekend so everyone wish her well... she'll do great, she's a training machine, that one is!!  GO ALEX!!!!
2010-06-11 12:02 PM

User image

Regular
Hi Everyone,

I hope you all have a great wekend.  I'll be going out of town with the rest of the Johnson Clan.  Alex, have a great tri!
2010-06-11 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
HELP! I wasn't planning on wearing a wetsuit for my sprint in just over a week as the water temps were in the 70-74 range I figured I'd be fine at that BUT a new race update e-mail tells me that with the recent cooler and cloudy weather the temp is now 67 with rain and cool weather in the forecast for the next few days! Am I gonna freeze up and not be able to swim? I still have time to get a rental but it will mean I have not trained with it on at all which doesn't sound like a great idea....what should I do?
2010-06-11 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2915973

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
How long is your swim, Marsha??  I'm thinking as speedy as you are you could do it without one.  I find my arms get a lot more tired when I wear mine and I don't think I get too much (if any) speed advantage.  The last tri I did was wetsuit legal around those same temps I think, maybe chillier.  I wore mine just for the experience, but there were folks that didn't.  I think you can do it either way.  Transitions will definitely be faster without it!

2010-06-11 5:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Swim is only 1/3 mile. I think I'm just gonna suck it up and be a bit chilly - seems like the better choice being that I have not practiced with one and the race is short. And, yeah...there's the transition time advantage! Thanks for your advice!
2010-06-11 8:22 PM
in reply to: #2906805

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
mistercdub - 2010-06-07 8:23 PM Hi All,

It has been quite an interesting couple of days here in Michigan.  A tornado touched down at 2:30 am on Sunday morning in Dundee, MI.  This tornado caused extensive damage throughout the area destroying many homes and businesses and damaged the local elementary and high school.  A link to a slideshow is: http://www.clickondetroit.com/slideshow/news/23809683/detail.html

My office housing the computer center I manage is less than 1 mile north of the devastation.  Luckily everyone from our company is OK and we did not have any physical damage to our building.  We did lose power so the computer center is currently running on our emergency generators.  I spent most of Sunday and today trying to manage power problems, fuel deliveries, and making additional plans in case of generator failure.

Also in Ohio, just south of the border, a tornado killed 7 people and destroyed a high school that one of my employees sons attends.  They will not likely be able to replace the school for 2 years. 

Please pray for all of the families impacted by the tornados. 

Sorry to hear about your local devastation, that is very unfortunate.   I'm glad everyone you know is safe and sound!  As you know, we can always rebuild - what's so important cannot.  I'll keep these folks in my prayers!!!  Glad you've been able to manage the work issues.  
2010-06-12 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
Hi everyone--

Thanks for all the inspires and good wishes-- I appreciate them! Just got back from driving as much of the bike route as I could (part of it goes through a local park where there's a $10 fee per vehicle to get in...so I skipped that part. There are indeed some hills-- mostly long gradual ones with some steepish spots, but not quite like the hills I faced on Wednesday, which is good. Plus some long lovely downhills as well-- I plan to make the most of those!

I *did* get to check on the water temperature of the lake when I stopped by the park office-- 77 degrees as of 6AM today! To my mind, that says "don't bother with the wetsuit for a 300-yard swim"-- any dissenters? I'll bring my wetsuit and gear tomorrow just in case, but 77 seems pretty warm to me!

Off now to do some walking and get some errands done...enough to move around a bit without being overly tiring. The butterflies in my stomach, however, are getting a fine workout... *grins*

More in the race report!

Alex
2010-06-12 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
ALEX! I'm so excited for you! GOOD LUCK! I can't wait to hear how it goes I'm already full of some nervous energy thinking about mine and it's a week away.

Speaking of a week away...how much do I taper things down this week mileage/workout wise. To conserve some energy and be ready but not get stiff/rusty? I can't really tell by the training plan on my calendar because I have 2 plans blended together to kind of train through this event with my Oly in Aug being my "A Race" but I do want to rest a bit so I can rock this sprint!

Rain , rain, go AWAY! My training plans for today (lake swim and bike) were foiled again by cold, rain, and thunderstorms. I'm never going to get this done before the race! I soooooo want to get a swim/bike in over at the race course so I can be ready mentally! Maybe one night this week after work...?
2010-06-12 3:05 PM
in reply to: #2917492

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Alex, skip the wetsuit, for 300 yards it's not worth the bother and 77 is very comfortable to swim in.

Marsha... hmmm, tapering, I would go with regular workouts through Wed., then do one workout on Thurs (or 2 easy ones, like bike and run) and one on Fri... I usually do a swim on Friday for a Sunday race so that extra day gives my legs a break... I always take Saturdays off, go pick up the race packet and just worry about getting my stuff packed up.  That seems to work for me... now for your A race, probably a little different, but your plan should have that built in. 

Anyone else have what works for them the week before a race, chime on in!

2010-06-12 5:25 PM
in reply to: #2917580

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yeah, Janet, for signing up for a Tri!! Go in with no performance expectations, just soak up the experience, and I bet you'll have a blast.

Marsha, good luck with the cold water! I've definitely seen people swimming sans wetsuit at that temperature. I swam in a pretty cold lake last week without a wetsuit. It felt really chilly when I first got in, but I got used to it pretty quickly. Expect that you will have a little trouble breathing for the first few minutes due to the cold, but relax- it WILL get better. You could also wear two swim caps- I think it helps preserve body  heat. In my last tri (and in the lake last week), I wore my favorite silicone cap and put the race cap on top of it. 

Alex, have a great race! We're all thinking about you! 
2010-06-12 6:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the advice. My race is actually a Saturday race Hilde The 2 swim caps might not be a bad idea - thanks for that. I am hoping the lake warms up a bit - we're supposed to be in the mid 80's and sunny for much of this coming week so I've got my fingers crossed that the lake absorbs as much of that as possible.
2010-06-12 7:10 PM

User image

Expert
On tapering: This has been an odd week for tapering for me, since the previous week was all traveling and thus MUCH more like a taper than not. So I ran Mon, swam Tues, did the brick Wed, just yoga Thurs, and swam Fri this week. Nothing hyper-intense, but all fairly steady stuff with the exception of Friday's easy swim. Today it's been some walking and trying not to let the jitters get the best of me. I'll pack tonight for tomorrow's early start.

Thanks for the agreement on the wetsuit, Hilde-- it really does seem superfluous for 300 yards in 77-degree water! (The lake I've been swimming in since I was a kid is usually much colder than that, so I don't think it'll be a problem. Plus, time saved in T1= bonus!)

Thanks for all the encouragement, guys! Back to dealing with the butterflies I go... hope you're all having fantastic weekends, and that it STOPS RAINING so you can all go out and train!

Alex
2010-06-13 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Alex - how was it?

I finally got OUTSIDE for some training, between storms today The details are in my training log but in a nutshell I was happy with my "race pace effort" training session. I had an average bike speed faster than I ever have and I smoked it off the bike on my run. This was a nice confidence boost for me! The weather is looking like it *should* cooperate for some OWS-bike training this week after work so I can get a feel for the swim and bike course at the race location - YIPPEE! My major focus this week will be hydration, eating well, and getting more sleep so I'm as ready as possible to RACE!
2010-06-13 10:00 PM

User image

Expert
Hi everybody--

Thanks for the thoughts and good wishes! I'm about to fill in the race report online, but here's how it went:

It's amazing what you can do on little to no sleep. I don't know about any of you, but I tend to be one of those people who wakes up every 5 minutes or so to look at the clock when I know I have to be awake early for something. Sure enough, there was a lot of clock-watching going on last night, so I finally gave in around 4:15 and got up. Did a little yoga to start getting the body warmed up, made and ate some breakfast (Trader Joe's sprouted wheat cinnamon-raisin bagels are YUM, may I just say), and started packing the car. I knew the park opened at 5:30, so once everything was in order, I hopped in and toddled off. (Funnily enough, even at that hour there were people out on the California freeways!)

San Dimas is about 18 miles east of where I am-- out in some more foothills of the San Gabriel mountains, and quite pretty, really, even on a Sunday morning when the fog hasn't blown or burned off yet. Got to the park just after it opened, and even then wasn’t the first one through the gates—but I did have a great selection of places to park, so paid my $10 entry fee to the site and managed to get up pretty close to the transition area before heading off to pick up my race packet. That achieved, I grabbed my stuff and headed into transition to set things up.

To my pleasant surprise, the transition area wasn’t particularly crowded, not even as more and more people arrived and began to set up—turns out there were a total of 476 individual competitors plus 6 relay teams, which was really quite manageable (the last tri I did had about 2000 competitors total, so much more cramped bike racks!). I found a great spot: second row in, second rack over, and got everything set up quickly. Body-markers made their way through the racers so I eventually lined up and got numbered in various places, including a sticker for my bike with my race number on it—this race allowed family members and friends in the transition area as we all set up, so I guess the stickers were to ensure that people left with their own bikes and nobody else’s as extra! Still, the family, friends, dogs, etc. actually made for a very congenial prep time this morning: one of the people setting up at the end of my row had his wife and dog with him, and the dog was clearly delighted to be there without getting in anyone’s way at all: he just stood there, enjoying the scene, tail wagging. Perfect attitude for the day. I chatted with my neighbours, said hi to some Pasadena Tri Club folk, and had a last bite or two of bagel and cheese to tide me over. By this point, the fog was clearly starting to burn off, and I knew it was going to be a hot one, so on came the sunscreen—fantastic stuff: kept me burn-free through the whole thing!

I knew from having visited the park’s ranger station yesterday that the water had been measured at 77 degrees recently, so I decided to skip the wetsuit—for a 300-yard swim, it really didn’t seem necessary, and 77 degrees is very comfortable for me. It was interesting to see a LOT of people putting on wetsuits, even full-sleeved ones, in such conditions—maybe for the buoyancy, maybe for the longer course… I couldn’t really tell, but I for one wasn’t going to swelter in a wetsuit for a brief swim.

Eventually they called for everyone to clear the transition area, so down to the beach we went for announcements, the national anthem, and the elite start—it took a while between waves for the lifeguards on paddleboards to reposition themselves, so as someone in the last wave of the day I spent a lot of time just standing around on the beach waiting. (Happily, I met up with some more PTC members, and chatted with them for a while.) The long-course waves went before us short-coursers, and then just before the first short-course wave could go, we saw a boat move one of the buoys marking our course—making the course longer than we’d been initially told. Some people were really miffed by that; I still figured it was a short enough swim that it didn’t make that much difference. Besides, by that point I’d been standing around in a wet tri outfit on the beach for half an hour: I wanted to get in and get started! Finally, they called my wave in and counted us down…I had a brief moment of “What on EARTH am I doing??” then plunged on in and swam away. I’d positioned myself well to the outside of the group, so managed to avoid hitting anyone or being hit, even though it meant I swam well wide of the straightest line between buoys. The no-wetsuit decision was definitely the right one, though—as I ran out of the water I knew I could just move to my bike and get my shoes and helmet on rather than wrestling with hot neoprene: no bad thing. Out of the water in 7 minutes and change, which also told me that the distance was a bit further than 300 yards. But no time for pondering aquatic spatial organization or lack thereof: belt on, glasses on, helmet on, socks rolled on, shoes on, grab bike and clip-clop outta there to start the bike course. 3:01 in T1; need to work on that a bit.

Irony is something that’s just not for breakfast any more: remember how I’ve been worrying about the bike section and the hills? NOT a problem for me today: having driven most of the course yesterday gave me a HUGE burst of confidence because I had a pretty good sense of where many of the hills were and also knew that there were downhills to come. Got on the bike and worked on getting a little bit of speed up before the first hill, then just powered my way up. The further I went, the better my bike legs felt, and I started passing people (!). The first big downhill was a bit scary, but by the time the second one came along on the back end of the loop, I just rode it for all it was worth. ZOOM! A wonderful—and fun!—bike leg: I felt GREAT coming into T2. Bike racked, helmet off, hat on, shoes changed, quick gulp of HEED and quick gulp of water—out of T2 in 1:29.

Took me a little while to get my run legs, as not only did I get the lovely leaden-flavoured jello feeling of a brick, but the run course was VERY hilly. I decided to just keep running, no matter how slowly. Most of the hills were up on the out portion of the out-and-back course, which left us with some big downhills on the other end—a bit rough on the quads. Then some gentle rolling and one last steep hill before the finish line…pick up the pace…push it…done. Total time: 1:17:08, about 13 minutes faster than my only other tri…and good for 5th (out of 28) in my age group! That blew me away—I ended up 114th out of 221 sprint racers overall, so in the middle of the pack as I’d expected. But a PR and a good AG placing? Definite bonuses for what was a fantastic race experience. The PTC members were lovely, cheering for me as well as for their teammates, bless them—first time I’ve had someone cheering for me in a race, and it really DOES make a difference! After the sprint, we all hung out near the finish line to cheer the PTCers doing the Oly—it was fun to yell like mad for them, too.

Funny how the thought process of a triathlon begins with “Wait a minute, WHAT am I doing??” and ends with “WOW, that was fun. Can I do it again?” Next race: Breath of Life Tri in Ventura, including an ocean swim. Two weeks to train more: more bike hills, more run speedwork, more swimming endurance. Bring it on!

Hope you all had great Sundays--

Alex (tired but not sore-- will stretch some more to avoid stiffness, though!)

2010-06-14 6:20 AM
in reply to: #2919235

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Alex, you smoked that race!!!  So proud of you!  And 5th in AG is FANTASTIC!!!  I loved your race description, almost felt like I was there with you... and 13 minutes faster is HUGE.  Obviously your training is paying off BIG TIME!!  So onto an ocean swim, yikes.... I've never done one of those, I will stick with lakes and rivers thank you very much....

Bask in the glory girl, you deserve it... and way to show those California girls how it's done!
2010-06-14 6:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI

Alex - Congratulations on your PR (and AG finish).  You smoked the course!  Good job on your race report too!Smile

2010-06-14 10:05 AM

User image

Expert
Hi everyone--

Actually, I have a correction to make for my race report: I originally thought I'd taken 13 minutes off my last tri time.

I looked at my race report from last year, and that turns out to be inaccurate. Turns out I did last year's race in 1:41 and change, so I took 24 minutes off my time.

*blinks*

I'll be the first to admit, the swim in yesterday's race was shorter, and the bike was shorter too, if hillier. But I guess that means that training really DOES pay off, doesn't it? Laughing

(Now I want to do last year's course again and see how the races compare!)

Today's a day off before getting back in the pool tomorrow. Hope you're all having a great Monday-- go, MMMers, go!

Alex
2010-06-14 7:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Hey guys!  I don't know if anyone is interested in picking up on a roadid do-dad (www.roadid.com).  I ordered a wrist band and received  the following: 

We are thrilled to have you as a customer and hope that we can count on you to
spread the word about Road ID. In fact, to make it fun to spread the word, we
created a unique coupon for you to pass along to your friends! Here's the coupon
number:

Coupon Number: ThanksJanet770648

This coupon is good for $1 off any Road ID order. It can be used up to 20 times
in the next 30 days. Feel free to send this coupon via email, Twitter, Facebook,
MySpace, town crier, or good ole fashion smoke signal.

I wouldn't run without a shoe tag, and even though I carry ID in my bike bag I decided it would be safer to have my ID out in the open.  Anyway, save a buck if you wish!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41