BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's mentor group is Closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2010-08-02 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3018577

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Subject: RE: BamaDC's mentor group is Closed!

double post

Edited by BamaDC 2010-08-02 12:20 PM

2010-08-02 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3018577

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
titeloops - 2010-08-02 12:17 PM

Peeps, I wanna get a set of race wheels before my HIM and IM. I been saving, and can prolly scrape up $2500 or so. Any opinions amongst the group as to where to begin my shopping. IE..,, brands, new versus used, online retailers?

I'm a HED guy. But what do you find yourself looking at?
2010-08-02 6:47 PM
in reply to: #2781196

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Honestly, here's what I know about race wheels. The are carbon, aero, and faster. Other than that, I'm ignorant. I hear alot of people on this site say just get a disc cover. I'm obviously starting from scratch here. Ofcourse, I've been on the HED and Zipp website, but the technical stuff is just way over my head. Learn me dude.
2010-08-02 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3019587

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
titeloops - 2010-08-02 6:47 PM Honestly, here's what I know about race wheels. The are carbon, aero, and faster. Other than that, I'm ignorant. I hear alot of people on this site say just get a disc cover. I'm obviously starting from scratch here. Ofcourse, I've been on the HED and Zipp website, but the technical stuff is just way over my head. Learn me dude.

Or you could buy a powermeter and rent race wheels.

When they talk about yaw angle, the slower you ride the higher the yaw angle.  I'm not up on the zipps but if your looking at HED wheels I know a bit.  Always use a disc wheel, unless its not allowed or it has ALOT of climbing.  Like IM St. George or IM France. 

Or you could call HED and ask them some questions.  I've called before and I know another BTer who's bought wheels by their recomendation.

If I was going to do it over again I'd buy the same wheelset.  H3 front and Jet Disc Rear.
2010-08-03 4:40 AM
in reply to: #3019928

User image

Expert
Raleigh
BamaDC - 2010-08-02 9:34 PM
titeloops - 2010-08-02 6:47 PM Honestly, here's what I know about race wheels. The are carbon, aero, and faster. Other than that, I'm ignorant. I hear alot of people on this site say just get a disc cover. I'm obviously starting from scratch here. Ofcourse, I've been on the HED and Zipp website, but the technical stuff is just way over my head. Learn me dude.

When they talk about yaw angle, the slower you ride the higher the yaw angle.  I'm not up on the zipps but if your looking at HED wheels I know a bit.  Always use a disc wheel, unless its not allowed or it has ALOT of climbing.  Like IM St. George or IM France. 

Or you could call HED and ask them some questions.  I've called before and I know another BTer who's bought wheels by their recomendation.

If I was going to do it over again I'd buy the same wheelset.  H3 front and Jet Disc Rear.

That may actually be the best idea.
2010-08-03 7:08 AM
in reply to: #3020116

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
titeloops - 2010-08-03 5:40 AM

I still haven't pulled the trigger on one yet but the safety off.  It seems like the more I look at power meters the more questions I have.  I've read conflicting things (and got more conflicting info from my LBS) regarding how to zero a power tab.  The other kicker (for me) is that I need a head unit so going to have to shell out more for that.

The last thing that has me confused is getting a power tab installed in a wheel.  I've been talking to a shop that does custom wheel builds.  Their wheel building guru (apparently he does nothing but build wheels) recommended against using my current rims.  He says that at 210 lbs I need a stiffer rim which means more spokes than what the stock rims on my bike has.  My rims (Mavic CPX22) have 28 spokes in the back and the max you can get with a powertap is 32.  Will 4 extra spokes really make that much of a difference?

2010-08-03 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3020204

User image

Expert
Alabama

I went by my LBS the other day and asked some questions about power meters.  Didn't get to in depth, but they are supposed to check on some things for me.

He mentioned someone is coming out with pedals that will have the power meter built into them.  This sounded interesting to me, as they could be switched out to any bike (potentially).

Any thoughts on this, or anyone know of this?

2010-08-03 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3020468

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
pilotzs - 2010-08-03 9:58 AM

I went by my LBS the other day and asked some questions about power meters.  Didn't get to in depth, but they are supposed to check on some things for me.

He mentioned someone is coming out with pedals that will have the power meter built into them.  This sounded interesting to me, as they could be switched out to any bike (potentially).

http://www.metrigear.com/products/
2010-08-03 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3020493

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
cornfed - 2010-08-03 9:05 AM

Those look awesome, but they've pushed back the release date twice.  I still havn't seen a price range for them.
2010-08-03 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3020204

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
cornfed - 2010-08-03 7:08 AM

I still haven't pulled the trigger on one yet but the safety off.  It seems like the more I look at power meters the more questions I have.  I've read conflicting things (and got more conflicting info from my LBS) regarding how to zero a power tab.  The other kicker (for me) is that I need a head unit so going to have to shell out more for that.

The last thing that has me confused is getting a power tab installed in a wheel.  I've been talking to a shop that does custom wheel builds.  Their wheel building guru (apparently he does nothing but build wheels) recommended against using my current rims.  He says that at 210 lbs I need a stiffer rim which means more spokes than what the stock rims on my bike has.  My rims (Mavic CPX22) have 28 spokes in the back and the max you can get with a powertap is 32.  Will 4 extra spokes really make that much of a difference?

32 spokes will make a difference.  It's also about how the spokes are laced. 

What price range are you looking at spending?

If your confused about the zeroing process then call Saris.  The one time I had to call, the customer service was very good.  Phone: 1-800-783-7257
2010-08-03 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3020468

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

double post

Edited by BamaDC 2010-08-03 9:18 AM

2010-08-03 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3020542

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2010-08-03 10:16 AM

If your confused about the zeroing process then call Saris.  The one time I had to call, the customer service was very good.  Phone: 1-800-783-7257

I sent them an email last night.  If I don't get a reply soon I'll give them a call.

Price range is a little fuzzy.  Originally I wanted to keep it under a thousand but I've decide the wireless version will give me more options.  That ends up pushing me into the 1300+ range once you take into account a garmin or other head unit.  I haven't really started looking at specific rims yet. If I get a new rim for the back should I get a matching one for the front?
2010-08-03 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3020592

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
cornfed - 2010-08-03 9:27 AM
BamaDC - 2010-08-03 10:16 AM

I sent them an email last night.  If I don't get a reply soon I'll give them a call.

Price range is a little fuzzy.  Originally I wanted to keep it under a thousand but I've decide the wireless version will give me more options.  That ends up pushing me into the 1300+ range once you take into account a garmin or other head unit.  I haven't really started looking at specific rims yet. If I get a new rim for the back should I get a matching one for the front?

The style police may get you.    When I had my Powertap, I had different front and rear rims.

Edited by BamaDC 2010-08-03 10:05 AM
2010-08-03 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3020517

User image

Expert
Alabama
BamaDC - 2010-08-03 9:10 AM

Those look awesome, but they've pushed back the release date twice.  I still havn't seen a price range for them.

The price will concern me.  Being new technology, they may be up in price.  I would think they would have to be somewhat competitive with what's out there though, and after all, it's just a pedal.

The person I talked to seemed to think September or October as a release, but he really didn't know.  He's supposed to check for me.  I'd hold out spending the $$ now if they are going to release them sometime before year end.
2010-08-03 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3020775

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
pilotzs - 2010-08-03 11:30 AM

The price will concern me.  Being new technology, they may be up in price.  I would think they would have to be somewhat competitive with what's out there though, and after all, it's just a pedal.

The person I talked to seemed to think September or October as a release, but he really didn't know.  He's supposed to check for me.  I'd hold out spending the $$ now if they are going to release them sometime before year end.

I saw a couple of posts on slowtwitch saying in the $8-900 range.  Not sure if anyone really knows so this was probably a guess.  However it would make since that they would want there price to be competitive with power tap.
2010-08-03 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3020841

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
cornfed - 2010-08-03 10:47 AM

I saw a couple of posts on slowtwitch saying in the $8-900 range.  Not sure if anyone really knows so this was probably a guess.  However it would make since that they would want there price to be competitive with power tap.

At that price is almost makes me thnk its one strain gauge(s) unit in one pedal.  Which would put it with the Ergomo.  Which is no more.

I think it will be more in line with the Quarq or SRM price range.  1200-1500ish

2010-08-03 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3021412

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2010-08-03 3:12 PM

At that price is almost makes me thnk its one strain gauge(s) unit in one pedal.  Which would put it with the Ergomo.  Which is no more.

I think it will be more in line with the Quarq or SRM price range.  1200-1500ish

Do you think that the Quarq is better than the powertap?  Originally I was really excited about the power tap because the wired version is only about $500.  But if I want HR I need to move up to the wireless then I'm in the $1000 range.  My only reservation with doing this is fit.  However, I think I'm going to make an appointment with a shop to get a full/detailed fitting done pretty soon.   Once I know that I've got my fit dialed in I'm wondering if I shouldn't hold out a little bit to save up and get a quarq. 
2010-08-03 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3021496

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
cornfed - 2010-08-03 2:52 PM
BamaDC - 2010-08-03 3:12 PM

Do you think that the Quarq is better than the powertap?  Originally I was really excited about the power tap because the wired version is only about $500.  But if I want HR I need to move up to the wireless then I'm in the $1000 range.  My only reservation with doing this is fit.  However, I think I'm going to make an appointment with a shop to get a full/detailed fitting done pretty soon.   Once I know that I've got my fit dialed in I'm wondering if I shouldn't hold out a little bit to save up and get a quarq. 

Either one is going to be a great tool.  I like the Quarq because I have a Disc wheel.  In your case you could have wheelbuilder.com make you a wheel and disc cover at the same time.

If I hadn't come across my Jet Disc, I could see myself using a Powertap and wheel cover.
2010-08-04 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

Another thing about the power meter is its fun to go back and look at your workouts.  I was looking at a file from Nov 08 and over a hour I averaged 142 watts with a HR of 146 bpm.

This past weekend I rode with a friend for 1:15.  I averaged 141 watts with a HR of 111 bpm.

It also lets you see how you respond to certain blocks of training, when paired with training Peaks WKO software.

2010-08-04 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3022580

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2010-08-04 9:48 AM

Another thing about the power meter is its fun to go back and look at your workouts.  I was looking at a file from Nov 08 and over a hour I averaged 142 watts with a HR of 146 bpm.

This past weekend I rode with a friend for 1:15.  I averaged 141 watts with a HR of 111 bpm.

It also lets you see how you respond to certain blocks of training, when paired with training Peaks WKO software.

I've heard about WKO and it seems like a pretty good tool.  Do you use it or any other software?  Does the powertap come with anything?
2010-08-04 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3021412

User image

Expert
Alabama
BamaDC - 2010-08-03 2:12 PM

I believe it will measure each pedal seperatly, so effectively, you can get a power reading from each pedal.

So many choices to consider and learn.

2010-08-04 10:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Anybody using the Garmin 310XT as their bike computer?  My el cheapo wired computer is starting to flake out on me so it's time to replace it.  I'm looking at the 310xt because it seems like a good choice to double as a running watch too. Only down side is that it ain't cheap.  I'd like to hear experiences, likes/dislikes before getting one.
2010-08-04 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3022914

User image

Master
cornfed - 2010-08-04 10:39 AM Anybody using the Garmin 310XT as their bike computer?  My el cheapo wired computer is starting to flake out on me so it's time to replace it.  I'm looking at the 310xt because it seems like a good choice to double as a running watch too. Only down side is that it ain't cheap.  I'd like to hear experiences, likes/dislikes before getting one.

I am.  It is a good dual use item.  I have the Edge 300 as well, and having both I can say the only thing I really miss with the 310 is that it maxes out at 4 display items on the screen at one time.  (No room for any more).  The larger Edges get 6 comfortably.  It would also be nice if the 310xt had rolling averages (hopefully in a firmware update).

Also, if you do get one I recommend this quick release kit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CP0MTO/ref=oss_product

It allows you to use the original band and the bike mount is supposed to be better than the other one.

(BTW, on your other post in the main forum about powermeters - I got my powertap in last night.  I'll let you know how I like it once I actually get to use it in anger.  Got a great deal on a used one laced into a very nice wheel that I couldn't pass up!)

Edited by sand101 2010-08-04 12:52 PM
2010-08-04 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3023239

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
sand101 - 2010-08-04 1:49 PM

(BTW, on your other post in the main forum about powermeters - I got my powertap in last night.  I'll let you know how I like it once I actually get to use it in anger.  Got a great deal on a used one laced into a very nice wheel that I couldn't pass up!)

Let me know what you think.  I just got off the phone with a shop and am pretty sure I'm going to order one soon.  I looked around for used ones but haven't seen an deals that seem that good so I think I'm going to suck it up and get a new one.
2010-08-04 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3022790

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
cornfed - 2010-08-04 10:00 AM
BamaDC - 2010-08-04 9:48 AM

I've heard about WKO and it seems like a pretty good tool.  Do you use it or any other software?  Does the powertap come with anything?

Spend the extra 99 dollars and get WKO!  Powertaps software just puts it in a readable form.  WKO is a physiology software.  It's a bit complicated, but I'll help you figure it out.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's mentor group is Closed! Rss Feed  

of 52