BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-01-07 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3285345

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL!
Wooden Bell - 2011-01-07 4:35 PM Did my first single leg drills today on the bike.  It was definitely awkward, but I can see how it is beneficial.  The biking, combined with eating smarter is definitely paying off.... I hit 208lbs over the Christmas break, and today I weighed in at 189lbs.  Still a long way to go to get to my goal of 170lbs, but I'll get there.  I know it's going to get harder now, since the first 5-10 pounds was just turkey

Sodium overload!?!?  That's awesome.  It's good to be able to turn that eating switch off.  I actually shut my inner fat kid up on Sunday and am down 3.5 lbs.  My goal is going to be 190.  I'm hoping to see that by March. 

2011-01-07 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3256274

User image

Fall River, WI

The timing of this run discussion couldn't work out better for me as I am currently looking at how to add run volume. 

Right now I am running 3 times a week.  Each workout is the same length.  Each week I am adding 2 minutes to the workout.  Last week was 3x32' this week 3x34' ect ect.  I have been doing the workouts at different speeds.  This week I did 6.0mph day 1, 6.2 day2 and 5.6-5.8 day3.  I have been able to complete all workouts with no difficulty.  I do however have some calf pain that has returned.  I had this pain when I first started running back in Sept and was told by a sports med Dr. that it was an overuse injury but no specific diagnosis.  This pain popped up again last week after getting a pretty nasty cramp in my calf swimming.  It seems to be getting better with heavy doses of icing and some ibuprofen.  I have no pain while running which is different than the last time.  I am not overly concerned with this as it slowly seems to be getting better. 

My current plan is to continue adding 2 minutes a week until the beginning of Feb when my Oly plan starts.  The Oly plan is uploaded in my training log. 

With all this said, does this seem like adding too much base to a new runner too fast and do the speeds seem too fast?  I have to imagine that these are values that are individual to each person, but are there some rules of thumb?

2011-01-07 8:35 PM

User image

Fall River, WI
I'm in for the weekly weigh in.  I have been struggling since I started working out more.  My appetite is out of control. 
2011-01-07 8:44 PM

User image

Love the idea of goals as well...and keeping it simple.
2011-01-07 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3285831

User image

Champion
It sounds like you are on the right track as far as running goes and building.

The one thing that has helped ME more than anything when it comes to judging how hard to run really is simply listening to your body. Going by paces runs the risk of beating you up some days and not much others. If a run always feels easy, or hard, or moderate, it will be a slightly better match to you and the course/conditions that day (or treadmill, etc).

I tend to always think two days out running wise. If i run X effort, how will it effect tomorrow, and the next day, if at all in doubt, back off a bit. better to get in all 3 runs vs one faster and then two days off.
2011-01-07 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3285938

User image

Champion
And for those that are interested in what i do in my free time, some photos from this week in FL:

http://davidsavoiephotography.blogspot.com

2011-01-07 9:32 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I think goals is a great idea and will give everyone a chance to see progress on the short term while training for their "A" race long term. 

Newbz, I couldn't agree more with your comments on running slower to run faster. I feel 10x more refreshed after running x miles at a slow pace, compared to running that same distance at a faster pace. speed work has it's time and place, but you need to know when to use it or you will either injury yourself, or burn yourself out before other runs. "Conversational Pace" is something that I learned last year, and trained with on my long runs and that showed me a huge improvement over the long term.
2011-01-07 9:37 PM
in reply to: #3285941

User image

Champion
chasingkona - 2011-01-07 8:32 PM

I think goals is a great idea and will give everyone a chance to see progress on the short term while training for their "A" race long term.

Newbz, I couldn't agree more with your comments on running slower to run faster. I feel 10x more refreshed after running x miles at a slow pace, compared to running that same distance at a faster pace. speed work has it's time and place, but you need to know when to use it or you will either injury yourself, or burn yourself out before other runs. "Conversational Pace" is something that I learned last year, and trained with on my long runs and that showed me a huge improvement over the long term.

yeah, that conversational pace was the part that really did it for me. I run most of my training runs (on flatter ground at least), WAY slower than race pace, like a solid 2 min slower most of the time, but have ZERO issues running faster for races even without the speedwork.
2011-01-08 2:19 AM

User image

Regular
Augusta
Ok,

So another reason not to do training today, as we had a couple of big VIP's visiting where I work today and I'm the area photographer.  (right there with you David with the photography)  General Petraeus made a visit to work today.  I'll post a photo later on after I get them approved by security and edited.  Have another 4 star coming through in a couple of hours, so no sleep for the weary.
2011-01-08 6:29 AM

User image

Regular
Augusta
Well, haven't passed the others through security yet, but figured I'd throw this up anyways.

General Patraeus to the left, me on the right

Me and General Patraeus
2011-01-08 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3285831

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
inmyelement - 2011-01-07 9:25 PM

The timing of this run discussion couldn't work out better for me as I am currently looking at how to add run volume. 

Right now I am running 3 times a week.  Each workout is the same length.  Each week I am adding 2 minutes to the workout.  Last week was 3x32' this week 3x34' ect ect.  I have been doing the workouts at different speeds.  This week I did 6.0mph day 1, 6.2 day2 and 5.6-5.8 day3.  I have been able to complete all workouts with no difficulty.  I do however have some calf pain that has returned.  I had this pain when I first started running back in Sept and was told by a sports med Dr. that it was an overuse injury but no specific diagnosis.  This pain popped up again last week after getting a pretty nasty cramp in my calf swimming.  It seems to be getting better with heavy doses of icing and some ibuprofen.  I have no pain while running which is different than the last time.  I am not overly concerned with this as it slowly seems to be getting better. 

My current plan is to continue adding 2 minutes a week until the beginning of Feb when my Oly plan starts.  The Oly plan is uploaded in my training log. 

With all this said, does this seem like adding too much base to a new runner too fast and do the speeds seem too fast?  I have to imagine that these are values that are individual to each person, but are there some rules of thumb?

I used to get those calf cramps also.  Started to do a bunch of deep self massage on the calves using "the stick".  It's painful but absolutely cured my issues.  You have to stretch those out a good amount too.  Hold the stretch for at least 30 seconds.   

2011-01-08 8:45 AM

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

Fantastic trainer workout this morning--I feel like a million bucks!

2011-01-08 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3285723

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

newbz - 2011-01-07 8:18 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-07 6:02 PM We should try doing a weekly weigh-in for everyone that is trying to meet a goal.

Anyone up for that?
Lets use monday as the weekly weigh in for those wanting to work on weight loss. I need to drop a few pounds after all of the holiday stuff and heading into some winter races, but i'm going to be using the mirror only for a while, no scale here.

I am definitely in.

2011-01-08 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3286305

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
jtrezza - 2011-01-08 9:45 AM

Nice work...on the trainer when I get back from Home Depot! 
2011-01-08 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3286305

User image

Champion
jtrezza - 2011-01-08 7:45 AM

That's awesome. What type of workout did you do?

I just got back from a trail run, it was blasting down snow and my group headed out an easy 6 in the woods. Supposed to come down all day, might head back out later for some more fun in the snow.
2011-01-08 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3286449

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

newbz - 2011-01-08 11:27 AM What type of workout did you do?

It was a coach led-trainer/run brick workout.  I'm not up to speed with the running yet, so I was able to really go for on the bike.  Structure was warm up & one-leg drills with high-cadence intervals, a seated climb, climbing intervals.  Today was all about cadence with no music, just the metronome and self-awareness.  I really pushed myself to stay in tune with that evil beeping.  I finished at that marvelous place where you are jelly-leg exhausted but not injured--just completely wiped out.  Nice.

Glad you enjoyed your first round of snowy fun.

2011-01-08 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3286293

User image

Fall River, WI
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-08 8:33 AM

I used to get those calf cramps also.  Started to do a bunch of deep self massage on the calves using "the stick".  It's painful but absolutely cured my issues.  You have to stretch those out a good amount too.  Hold the stretch for at least 30 seconds.   

I have a feeling that alot of the soreness that I have been having is related to not stretching.  I was religious about stretching before every workout and would stretch for 20-30 minutes.  Lately I have been slacking a little bit.  Stretching before swimming is out of the question.  I can't get up any earlier than 0430.  I know I need to get back into the stretching routine as I can feel it in may back.  Being a paramedic in WI affords me the opportunity to lift severely overweight people on a regular bases, often times in very awkward positions, which has taken a toll on my lower back, or so I had thought.  After stretching for a few weeks my low back pain completely went away.  Now my back and body in general has been sore.  Hopefully stretching will help this some as I am extremely inflexible. 
2011-01-08 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3285729

User image

Regular
tri808 - 2011-01-07 6:24 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-07 2:02 PM We should try doing a weekly weigh-in for everyone that is trying to meet a goal.

Anyone up for that? 

I'm game...a little online accountability always helps.

I suppose for anyone shy about their weight...we can simply post a goal such as "lose 5 pounds", and your weekly update can simply be "lost 1 pound", or "gained .5 pounds"

Mondays also work best for me...my will power is weakest on weekends...so that will provide me some incentive to be sensible.

I'm in as well.  I still have a lot to lose.  I'm currently just over 200 (I'm 5'11).  I've already lost 40, and 179 will bring me to the top of my "healthy" range.  I'll reevaluate once I'm there.  I'm not losing super fast though.  It took me a year to lose the first 40, and although I'd like to kick things up a bit, I'm comfortable with it taking time.  That way I still have enough energy to train and I don't crash and burn.

I also wanted to comment on posting the actual number the scale says.  I don't think there's as many women on here, but we seem to be the ones that get more hung up on the number.  I totally support just posting the loss amount, but I have to say, there's something to be said for posting the number.  I've been doing it on my blog over the last year, and it's really let me take the power away from the number.  It doesn't define me, or who I am.  It's simply one measurement (of many) of how I'm doing.
2011-01-08 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3286489

User image

Regular
David, thanks for posting the info about running.  I think it's something that I should absolutely take to heart.  I've been debating whether I even should do speed work for my half marathon.  (It's my first).  I haven't decided, but I have been leaning towards just keeping the mileage up.  The first race of any distance for me is just with a goal of "to finish" anyways.  I think I also need to keep in mind that I'm still overweight, and while I've been doing fine with running in general, it may be best to save the speedwork for a time when I am no longer adding extra pounds to my joints.

I'm just doing a short run today, 4km (2.5mi).  I am wimping out and doing it at the indoor track though.  I've been really good about sucking it up with the cold weather, but there's a blizzard blowing in, and I really don't feel like running outside.  I'm also going to get a swim in this evening.
2011-01-08 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3286523

User image

Champion
Deb, to hit on a couple of points for you.

First on the weight, i agree that posting the number (if you are ok with it), on its own should not bother people as it really means nothing more than a refrence point. I could tell you i weighed 150 or 160, and it would mean NOTHING to you. I could be very heavy or lean at that weight, and you'd never know from the number. I'm built like a swimmer and at 150 i am very lean (i'm not wildly tall at 5'6'' or 7''), but someone built like a runner at that weight would look overweight. Its just a number, and really only means something to you and your situation.

On the running front, i'd be very very careful if you add in any faster running. you are new to this, and the faster work would be very risky in my opinion right now. The little you might gain (assuming you dont get hurt), is totally not worth the risk or the lower mileage you'd have to run to not get hurt. You'll keep improving for a long time with just mileage alone and as the weight comes off. I'd focus on staying healthy and getting all your runs in for the time being.
2011-01-08 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
I'm in for the Monday weigh in, i just recently started a full meal replacement program under the care of a doctor who specializes in weightless. I lost close to 70 pounds at the end of 2009 and maintained with tri training this past year. My problem is I have chronic sinusitis and asthma which for whatever reason flared up a couple of times this past year and the pneumonia at the end of 2010 required the use of prednisone. Each time i was on it i gained 5 or 6 pounds so now I am about 10 pounds heavier than my lightest in may 2010. I currently weigh 213 and my goal has always been to get down to 190 as that weight is predicted to put my into a healthy fat %. My doc(and I) don't care about BMI. We decided going on the full meal replacement four weeks would be good kick start to get to my goal finally.

Last time I did this for 16 weeks so 4 should be a breeze, but so far it is harder than i remember, may be due to the fact I am training this time and calories going out are higher. We adjusted the plan to account but may not be enough. We will discuss this on Tuesday.

Training this past week has been tough as it is the first time try to get a whole week of training in since being sick.Going for my "long" run of 49 minutes, and will take it very slow. Considering how difficult my runs this week have felt I likely wont have a choice.I will also post weekly goals, great ideas!!

Edited by chmoore2 2011-01-08 2:42 PM

2011-01-08 12:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

Hey, there has been a lot of chat here about infinit, so I thought there might be interest in a coupon.  I just completed the BT member survey and there are discount codes at the end, including at $20 infinit coupon that expires 2/1.

2011-01-08 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3286489

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
inmyelement - 2011-01-08 11:45 AM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-08 8:33 AM

I have a feeling that alot of the soreness that I have been having is related to not stretching.  I was religious about stretching before every workout and would stretch for 20-30 minutes.  Lately I have been slacking a little bit.  Stretching before swimming is out of the question.  I can't get up any earlier than 0430.  I know I need to get back into the stretching routine as I can feel it in may back.  Being a paramedic in WI affords me the opportunity to lift severely overweight people on a regular bases, often times in very awkward positions, which has taken a toll on my lower back, or so I had thought.  After stretching for a few weeks my low back pain completely went away.  Now my back and body in general has been sore.  Hopefully stretching will help this some as I am extremely inflexible. 

Take this for what it's worth, but be careful doing too much stretching before a workout.  I stretching a couple times a day now.  Once lightly after my workouts and I do my calves and hips again right before bed.  The stick is your friend though.  I use it on my back and traps also.  They are always sore from swimming. 
2011-01-08 2:00 PM

User image

Fall River, WI
Just did 90' on the trainer and am looking forward to my day of rest tomorrow.
2011-01-08 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3286717

User image

Champion
Agreed with Jonathan here.

Be very very careful stretching pre-workout. I've seen a number of people injure themselves this way. if you are going to stretch first, get in a good warm up FIRST.

I'd personally be skeptical that stretching did/does anything to reduce muscles cramps, but that is simply me and personal experience. Overall fitness/hydration/pacing will be the main factors that determine if its going to happen or not

And another nod for the stick. its a great product, and i had the chance to work with one of their North East reps here in philly and see some of the dif models/sizes in action, they are awesome and i'd buy one in a heart beat.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 57