BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2011-01-07 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3256440

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-01-07 8:53 PM

Subject: RE: tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED)
I'm also a mentee in Newbz group, and I'm going to steal an idea from them for our group.

We just started weekly goals...which I think is a great idea, especially for a group like ours that has a lot of beginners.  A lot of times it's easy to get overwhelmed by the fitness gains we hope to get 3, 6, 12 months down the road...when really we should be striving for consistancy day to day, and week to week.

So if you all are game...I propose we have Mondays as a day where we post a goal(s) for the week.  You can make them anything you want.  Hours trained, mileage, not using the elevator at work, no fast food, get x hours of sleep, weight loss, etc.  Each Monday you let everyone know how you did on your previous weeks goal, and set a new one for the next week.  Or if you want...you can set a month long goal...and each week update your progress towards that goal.

Set as many goals as you want, just keep the goals simple and attainable.  The key is not to strive for PRs every week...it's to be consistant over multiple weeks.
2011-01-07 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3285880

tri808 - 2011-01-07 8:53 PM I'm also a mentee in Newbz group, and I'm going to steal an idea from them for our group.

We just started weekly goals...which I think is a great idea, especially for a group like ours that has a lot of beginners.  A lot of times it's easy to get overwhelmed by the fitness gains we hope to get 3, 6, 12 months down the road...when really we should be striving for consistancy day to day, and week to week.

So if you all are game...I propose we have Mondays as a day where we post a goal(s) for the week.  You can make them anything you want.  Hours trained, mileage, not using the elevator at work, no fast food, get x hours of sleep, weight loss, etc.  Each Monday you let everyone know how you did on your previous weeks goal, and set a new one for the next week.  Or if you want...you can set a month long goal...and each week update your progress towards that goal.

Set as many goals as you want, just keep the goals simple and attainable.  The key is not to strive for PRs every week...it's to be consistant over multiple weeks.

That sounds like a great idea.
2011-01-07 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3285880

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
tri808 - 2011-01-08 11:53 AM I'm also a mentee in Newbz group, and I'm going to steal an idea from them for our group.

Of all the weeks to start this!!!
My goals for the week include:
- Get lots of rest (9 hours/night), and naps if needed
- Stay hydrated, not just with water but with electrolytes as well
- Top up glycogen stores
- Do the last 6 days of training to perfection
- On Saturday Jan 15th, swim 3.8km, bike 180km and run 42.2km... and enjoy the day!! Embrace all the dramas that are thrown my way.  
2011-01-07 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3285896

- Top up glycogen stores
- On Saturday Jan 15th, swim 3.8km, bike 180km and run 42.2km... and enjoy the day!! Embrace all the dramas that are thrown my way.  

Oh...that's right...IM week is coming up for you.  I have no IM distance experience...so all I'm qualified to say is good luck and I'm excited to hear how it goes. 

Edited by tri808 2011-01-07 9:19 PM
2011-01-07 9:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
went to what was supposed to be a 6mile run which I cut short to 5.  
I went too fast. some buddies called me and it turned into a group run... but overall glad with it.

2011-01-07 9:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
I like the goals idea. let me think somethings up. 

@Krystyna. Good Luck!!!  
2011-01-08 5:22 AM

2011-01-08 5:24 AM

2011-01-08 7:35 AM

Master
Fort Wayne
krystyna47 - 2011-01-07 10:02 PM
tri808 - 2011-01-08 11:53 AM I'm also a mentee in Newbz group, and I'm going to steal an idea from them for our group.

- Top up glycogen stores

I hope the taper is going well for you and you are able to focus on good carb loading. This is the big week.  Are you nervous yet?  I always get nervous right be for the race starts not so much in the week ahead.  But with an IM I would probably be plenty nervous in the 2-3 weeks before hand. 

I'm not gonna wish you luck.  I'm gonna go ahead and congratulate you.  You're gonna have a great race!

2011-01-08 7:52 AM

Coastal Carolina
Good Luck on the IM!!

Weekly Goals sound like a great idea to me, I always enjoyed the Quote "Aim at nothing and you'll hit it everytime."  I did a morning run with the dog, 3.5 miles in 35 min would have been faster if not for the pup but I can't go running without him it just seems wrong...

Now to takle my first attempt at Tilling...

2011-01-08 11:31 AM

Veteran
krystyna47 Good Luck on the IM, that is way cool.

Weekly goals are a  great idea, mine include

drink more water
limit food portions
start long run next saturday
2011-01-08 11:36 AM

Veteran

I seen this quote and thought I would share it. I hope we are the one's training to win
2011-01-08 12:45 PM

Veteran
Just entered a 100 bike ride to sponsor Diabetes. It's called Tour de Cure should be lots of fun.

Tour de Cure

Dear Friend,

I am riding 100 miles in this year's Tour de Cure help Stop Diabetes. I have joined thousands of fellow riders from across the country in this to raise money to and further the mission of the American Diabetes Association: to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all those affected by diabetes.

I am asking for your help. By making a donation on my behalf, you will be helping the American Diabetes Association change the future of diabetes by providing community-based education programs, protect the rights of people with diabetes and fund critical research for a cure.

As you may know, diabetes is a disease in which the body does not produce or properly use insulin. Insulin is a hormone that is needed to convert sugar, starches and other food into energy needed for daily life. Nearly 24 million Americans are living with diabetes. If current trends continue, one out of three children will face a future with diabetes. This is a startling statistic and your donation will help to change this.

I know my participation in this year's Tour de Cure can and will make a difference. Please help me reach my goal of $1000 by supporting me with a donation. You can follow the link below to my personal Web page to make a secure, 100% tax deductible donation. (If you do not want to donate online, please make your check payable to the American Diabetes Association and mail your contribution to me at 866 w 7325 s Willard Utah 84340
Together we will help stop diabetes.

Yours truly,

Jarrod Garr

Click here to visit my personal page.
If the text above does not appear as a clickable link, you can visit the web address:
http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?px=6477076&pg=personal&fr_... src="http://main.diabetes.org/site/PixelServer?tr=WlnVE2TKXqfLVZ2Kyejbhw.." border="0" width="1" height="1" />

Edited by garrunning 2011-01-08 2:14 PM
2011-01-08 2:17 PM

Master
Fort Wayne
I got my trainer ride in for today.  I rode for 1:02:00 and got 20.8 mile in.  I kept a higher intensity than I might for a typical recovery week but I kind of had on the week before Christmas anyway (2 rides, 41 miles).  I think I have been cheating my self on my bikes since getting on the trainer.  I know, after looking at my data and really considering how I feel after my rides, that I am not nearly as tired as I probably should be.  I can recover from my rides within 20 minutes and I am not particularly sore from them....well....pretty much ever.  I've got to get more serious about the bike.

I am thinking about doing one of the HIM training plans on the site.  I don't have any races in mind but I want to see how close I am to that training zone already.  I kind of feel like I am close but not really sure.  As I said before, I am not really looking for a HIM this coming season because I want to drag my training and racing along slowly so I don't get bored fast.  I would like to keep my triathlon career as long as I can stay interested.  I feel like if I rush into racing longer distances I might burn out sooner. 

Am I the only who thinks about this in this way?

2011-01-08 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3285355

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Thanks for the advice.  It is an OWS so I wasn't sure about the distances.  I don't tire or get winded easily, but for my first competitive outing, I wasn't sure what I could handle.  So, I will go for the longer distance.  My racing goals are as follows:  just looking to compete in at least two sprint tris this year (May & September) unless I get the bug to do more and finish with a respectible time.  I am not sure what that is yet.

Doing an IM is so awesome.  I wish I could wrap my mind around running really long distances.

Weekly goals:

1.  To ride my bike more.  We are suppose to get really cold weather over the next few days (well, for us).  That makes it hard to get out.

2.  Continue to eat as well as I have.  With the exception of dark chocolate chips, I've eaten very clean since January 1.

2011-01-08 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3286804

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
DirkP - 2011-01-09 5:17 AM  As I said before, I am not really looking for a HIM this coming season because I want to drag my training and racing along slowly so I don't get bored fast.  I would like to keep my triathlon career as long as I can stay interested.  I feel like if I rush into racing longer distances I might burn out sooner. 

I started with an Olympic 6 months after surgery... when I first began triathlons because I love the fear of not knowing if I'll be able to complete the distances. That progressed with HIM in my first real season, and now an IM this year. So in the last 2 1/2 years, it's been about the intrigue and mystery (and fear) of the distance. After the IM however, I don't want to go any longer (no double or triple iron for me!!). I, however, can't WAIT to revisit Sprint and Olympic distance races (and short run races, and bike TTs) and focus on getting ridiculously fast. I've learnt so much in the last few years, and to be able to apply my strategies and knowledge to short-course is going to be fascinating. I think you can make whatever distance you're in interesting. Then again, if I had known before what I know now, I would have held off on doing the ironman until I was at least 26 and had an extra 4-5 years of racing under my belt. I think I trained for this race when I was too young, and could have better spent the time training for short stuff and THEN tried my hand at the long-course stuff. Ah well, live and learn. I know, however, that I've found "my distance". I love 70.3 and 140.6 racing and training, and that's definitely what I'll focus on again when I've got a couple years of speed work under me!

What does everyone think of going long, and their race distance of choice? Or do you like just mixing it up?!?! What is your favourite of the 3 sports?
2011-01-08 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3287197

Veteran
krystyna47 - 2011-01-08 5:35 PM
DirkP - 2011-01-09 5:17 AM  As I said before, I am not really looking for a HIM this coming season because I want to drag my training and racing along slowly so I don't get bored fast.  I would like to keep my triathlon career as long as I can stay interested.  I feel like if I rush into racing longer distances I might burn out sooner. 

I started with an Olympic 6 months after surgery... when I first began triathlons because I love the fear of not knowing if I'll be able to complete the distances. That progressed with HIM in my first real season, and now an IM this year. So in the last 2 1/2 years, it's been about the intrigue and mystery (and fear) of the distance. After the IM however, I don't want to go any longer (no double or triple iron for me!!). I, however, can't WAIT to revisit Sprint and Olympic distance races (and short run races, and bike TTs) and focus on getting ridiculously fast. I've learnt so much in the last few years, and to be able to apply my strategies and knowledge to short-course is going to be fascinating. I think you can make whatever distance you're in interesting. Then again, if I had known before what I know now, I would have held off on doing the ironman until I was at least 26 and had an extra 4-5 years of racing under my belt. I think I trained for this race when I was too young, and could have better spent the time training for short stuff and THEN tried my hand at the long-course stuff. Ah well, live and learn. I know, however, that I've found "my distance". I love 70.3 and 140.6 racing and training, and that's definitely what I'll focus on again when I've got a couple years of speed work under me!

What does everyone think of going long, and their race distance of choice? Or do you like just mixing it up?!?! What is your favourite of the 3 sports?

I haven't even done a tri yet but I am drawn to the IM. There is something about that distance that I can't wait to try. My first tri will be an oly, I can't wait. If that goes well I want to do a HIM 2 months after that. I will have already ran a half marathon in may, followed by the oly tri two weeks later, and a 100 mile ride in June so I believe I can do it. I will let you all know what my favorite is
2011-01-08 9:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
Tx
50 miles on the bike today.  Previous long was 40.
2011-01-08 10:08 PM
in reply to: #3287428

pistuo - 2011-01-08 4:17 PM 50 miles on the bike today.  Previous long was 40.

Great job
2011-01-08 10:13 PM

I ended up making it 2:10 on my trainer last night.  I got home a little bit later than I hoped...which cut into my training time...but still a personal best for the trainer.

I actually only had to help my dad today, so I'll be free Sunday to do my normal longish run with my training group.  It may be tough though...working with my dad is hard work.  Being that I don't posess any construction skills, I was doing all the manual labor.  Good ST I suppose.

2011-01-08 10:16 PM

Dirk...I agree that there shouldn't need to be a rush to go into longer distances.  The only real reason I'm doing a HIM in my second season is because I really enjoy training at this volume anyway.  So it's not like I'm really upping my volume...just focusing my training towards a HIM distance now.

I agree tough that I am in no rush to do an IM.  I just don't see myself having the time to commit to it right now.  Of course...if I win the Kona lottery...I'll make time...LOL.

2011-01-09 1:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Dirk- You know yourself better than anyone, so I think what you're doing is fine.  
For me, I'm probably jumping into the HIM distance way early... especially since my career # of triathlons is 2 and they were both sprints.  But, we dont have kids yet and I'm afraid that once we do, my time for training will be cut.  So, I'm going for it knowing that this might be my only shot for a while.  My goal is not as much to race as it is to finish (with a decent time) and gain the accomplishment.
2011-01-09 4:05 PM

I haven't posted in a while because I haven't done s*** as far as training since I got home on Tuesday.  I have signed up for a tri in May and will start up again with a Spin class in the morning.  I've already broken one of my new year's resolutions (working out at least 3 hours) but will get back on that this week.

I started work and classes up and had a couple job interviews for an amazing internship (that I got)!!!!  I am really excited for it, but that will add to my work load.  As soon as a I get a set schedule I'll be able to work in my training better, but so far this week has been about catching up on housework and class work.

So weekly goals:  
~3 spin classes
~2 runs
~3 swims
~look fabulous at my cousin's wedding!  haha 
2011-01-09 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3288235

Master
Fort Wayne
pistuo - 2011-01-09 2:57 PM Dirk- You know yourself better than anyone, so I think what you're doing is fine.  
For me, I'm probably jumping into the HIM distance way early... especially since my career # of triathlons is 2 and they were both sprints.  But, we dont have kids yet and I'm afraid that once we do, my time for training will be cut.  So, I'm going for it knowing that this might be my only shot for a while.  My goal is not as much to race as it is to finish (with a decent time) and gain the accomplishment.

MOST DEFINITELY!!!!  But it will all be worth it.  My girls aren't to far being gone and I really don't want to think about it because, even with the teen age problems, they will be greatly missed.  My girls (including my wife) are incredible and you only go around once.  I used to think about how great it might be when they were out an on their own.  Now I don't want it to happen.  But I have great kids.....................They take after their mother!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 45