BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-03-08 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3389285

User image

Regular
Minnesota
Subject: RE: jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go!
conanzchic - 2011-03-08 7:54 PM
peteacher - 2011-03-08 8:22 PM

So I am starting to freak about my first (sprint) tri.  It is not until June but all things considered it is not that far away.  I am starting a structured training plan and am nervous that I won't be able to do it.  I can't do plenty of individual tasks but putting them together seems overwhelming.  My rational mind knows I will be fine come race time but my irrational mind sees what others are doing and feel (for lack of a better word) inadequate.

What were little things that helped you gain confidence? 

@peteacher I absolutely know what you mean! I would suggest putting faith in your training. If you are following the plan relatively closely, you are training your body and it will know what to do and be able to do it. I've had a couple different athletes tell me recently that you're not going to be a rock star when you're training. Training at a steady, comfortable pace (even if it's slow) is doing wonders to prepare your body for the big event.

I have also been told to do brick workouts-even if one part of them is super short. So, when you finish your bike workout go for a short run, even if it's just around the block. This will get you used to the feeling of the bike to run transition and hopefully make it less intimidating. You could even do a short run before or after swimming-just to put the two activities together.  Just a thought-hope this helps!

I second what Conanzchic says. I did my first duathlon and triathlons last year and I wondered if I would make it. I was doing the work, but it was just the negative backtalk of the mind. Don't let it get the better of you.  Do your workouts, trust the plan and trust yourself.

2011-03-08 9:49 PM
in reply to: #3269333

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go!

Well, if the sprint bike leg is 12 miles and you regularly bike 20 for your long... the bike leg won't seem so intimidating.  If your long run is 5 miles and the race is 3.1 miles...that's not so bad and if you swim 1500 yards continuous and the race is 500 yards... putting them all together is not gona be hard for you. 

That said the plan will get you ready and you will do fine if you follow it.  Fearing the first race at any distance is supposed to make you nervious about finishing it 8).  It is all part of the sport and universal human experience.  But for a sprint we are really only talking about 90 minutes or so.  Eventually that will be a short workout for you 8). 

2011-03-09 5:28 AM
in reply to: #3389239

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
peteacher - 2011-03-08 8:22 PM

So I am starting to freak about my first (sprint) tri.  It is not until June but all things considered it is not that far away.  I am starting a structured training plan and am nervous that I won't be able to do it.  I can't do plenty of individual tasks but putting them together seems overwhelming.  My rational mind knows I will be fine come race time but my irrational mind sees what others are doing and feel (for lack of a better word) inadequate.

All I can say is that what you're feeling is completely normal.... I think the majority of new triathletes have that freak out moment where they think "What the heck have I gotten myself into??" Like others have said -- trust your training. If you pick a good plan and follow it to the best of your ability, you'll do just fine. Don't fret about a missed workout in the plan here or there - it happens. We all have lives outside of triathlon, and sometimes things happen and we miss a session. Don't worry about those times. It's the cumulative training that counts.

I suggest you approach your first race as a learning experience, and don't worry too much about times. I just took a peak at your logs, and it looks like you're already able to swim the distance for your race. Knowing you can finish the swim without too much difficulty should give you a huge confidence boost. Finishing the swim is a big worry for many new triathletes - and it sounds like you're already there - even before your training plan has started! Keep in mind that when you're done with the swim and you're back on dry land, and you can complete the rest of the race at any pace you want (of course you can finish the swim at any pace you want, too, but like I said, just knowing you can do it is HUGE!). Don't feel up to hammering the bike? Fine - no need to... finish the bike at a pace that is sustainable for you. Get to the run and feel tired? Guess what - it's okay to walk some if you need to - and you won't be the only one... In reality, my guess is that if you wanted to, you could go out today and cover the complete distance of your sprint tri. It might not be fun, or fast, and would almost certainly involve some walking, but I'm certain you could do it (not that I'm suggesting you do ). Trust your training, and by the time race day rolls around, you'll be just fine - I promise!!

And don't for a SECOND compare what you are doing now, just starting out, to to what anyone else is doing, especially anyone who has been involved in endurance sports for years, and think of yourself as "inadequate".... We all started from square one. Nobody jumps in and starts right off doing, for example, the kind of training volume Baowolf is doing right now (preparing for a marathon and a full IM), or doing 20 mile runs like Tribeagle (at the end of a marathon training cycle)... We all start where we are and build from there. Many triathletes never choose to train for those longer distance events, and will never ever put in that kind of training volume. My best advice is just to focus on yourself and your own training, and don't worry a bit about what anyone else is doing.... You're doing great! Just keep up the good work!
2011-03-09 7:39 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

peteacher - it is totally normal how you feel.  I've only done 1 sprint tri so far, so am not that far removed from those feelings.  Thinking about the whole thing IS overwhelming, so my advice would be to do your best to focus on one workout at a time.  I don't think I ever put all 3 events together in training, so race day was a leap of faith in that regard.  For what it's worth, the part of the Tri I was most nervous about (swim) wound up being my favorite part.  There will no doubt be plenty of other folks there who are also doing their first tri, and feeling the same first race jitters you are.  Some will likely have been talked into it by a friend, and not even have trained.  Go out there with the goal of completing the distances just as you are doing in training, don't worry about time, and I assure you that you will have a blast!

2011-03-09 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3389239

User image

Veteran
peteacher - 2011-03-08 7:22 PM

First of all, ignore those of us apparently crazy people doing 20 mile runs and IMs and such...  We were beginners once too.  And trust me, things still seem overwhelming - it's just at a different scale now.

I'd say first, trust your plan - it's been designed by someone who theoretically knows what they are doing and will get you to the event ready to go.  Don't panic if something comes up and you miss a workout.  Just jump right back in.  Like Jenny said, you can already swim the distance so that's a big plus!  Can you enter a stand alone 5K or other running event before your tri?  That might help give you some confidence there.  And remember, like Jenny said, you can always walk if need be or coast on the bike.

One other thing that has helped me - do you live close enough to where your race will be to either actually ride or at least drive the bike course?  I did that before a race 2 years ago and it really helped.

Keep asking questions - your situation is exactly why we have these groups.  We're all rooting for you!

2011-03-09 8:50 AM

User image

Regular
Minnesota

I signed up to run a half marathon, my first, on April 16. But I've been running minimally to not at all for 3 weeks because of piriformis syndrome and sciatica. I ran through the pain until I simply couldn't anymore and then went to a PT. Got the OK from her to start running again. Pain has diminished a lot and I'm doing my exercises.   

I am a relatively new runner and done plenty of 5ks but have never run more than 8 miles continuously. I was trying to be smart and not ramp up the mileage too fast, but here I am injured anyway.

Since I am healing well, I wonder if it is realistic to think about running the half marathon in 6 weeks. If it is, then I need a plan.

I had been following Hal Higdon's Intermediate plan, but now am considering switching to his beginner plan for the next 6 weeks, modified for my tri training as so:

Higdon's Novice Half Marathon

week

Monday

Tues

Wed

Thurs

Fri

Sat

Sun

Swim

45 min elliptical

3 m run

Start here

Rest

4.5 m run +

strength

50 min

Spin

7 m run

Swim

4.5 m

run

3 m run

or cross

4.5 m run

Swim

50 min

Spin

8 m run

Swim

5 m run

3 m run or cross

5 m run +

strength

Rest or

easy run

Spin

10-K Race (but I will just run 10K not as race)

Swim

5 m run

3 m run or cross

5 m run +

strength

Swim

60 min

Spin

9 m run

Swim

5 m run

3 m run or cross

5 m run +

strength

Rest

60 min

Spin

10 m run

Swim

4 m run

3 m run

or cross

Rest

Rest

Half

Marathon

Opinions or suggestions?     I am open to all, even the opinion that says don't do it!

Thanks for your help! ---Beth

2011-03-09 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3389735

New user
tribeagle - 2011-03-09 8:04 AM
peteacher - 2011-03-08 7:22 PM

First of all, ignore those of us apparently crazy people doing 20 mile runs and IMs and such...  We were beginners once too.  And trust me, things still seem overwhelming - it's just at a different scale now.

I'd say first, trust your plan - it's been designed by someone who theoretically knows what they are doing and will get you to the event ready to go.  Don't panic if something comes up and you miss a workout.  Just jump right back in.  Like Jenny said, you can already swim the distance so that's a big plus!  Can you enter a stand alone 5K or other running event before your tri?  That might help give you some confidence there.  And remember, like Jenny said, you can always walk if need be or coast on the bike.

One other thing that has helped me - do you live close enough to where your race will be to either actually ride or at least drive the bike course?  I did that before a race 2 years ago and it really helped.

Keep asking questions - your situation is exactly why we have these groups.  We're all rooting for you!

Hehe, I can't ignore you crazy people, you are my inspiration!! 

Thanks for mentioning the 5K idea cause I am thinking that might be a good idea.  Of the three, I am starting to feel more confident in the run.  I feel that "knocking out" a 5K would be great just to complete that part in my mind. 

My first tri is local so I am planning on tri-ing (hehe) to do parts of it ahead of time to get a feel.  I think the freakout is coming is living in Wisconsin and not having spring yet.  I don't have any desire to get outside right now for a run or a bike, holds zero appeal.  Once the weather gets better I am thinking some of this anxiety will pass.

I had a friend talk to me again about open swims later in the year, so not ready for open swims!!  Yeah, I can knock out 1800 y but put me in a lake with weeds and fish and watch me freak like a little kid!  (the first race is in a quarry thank God!!)

Okay, I took a deep breath and we are hitting the stationary bike later today for a 6 mile ride....phew.

Thanks for the positive words and you all kick some butt this week!!

2011-03-09 11:42 AM

User image

Peteacher you said exactly what I have been thinking! and I have only 30 more days to go! Monday while I was swimming I got in panic mode just thinking about it and it was bad! there is days when I think that my swimming is better but I don't know if enough to make it, I have not been training as much as in the beginning, I just feel tired and yes I am thinking what did I get myself into?

On top of that my crossfit trainer signed me up for my first crossfit competition (March 26th) and I am freaking out!

Sorry I am venting! I didn't have a good workout this morning :/ I hurt myself doing box jumps, I hate burpees and the wind was horrible during my bike ride!

2011-03-10 8:27 AM

User image

Veteran

I could race a 4-miler this weekend.  Is that OK 2 weeks out from the marathon?  I suspect it would end up being faster than marathon pace - maybe closer to a tempo run. 

Maybe I'll wait and see what the weather is doing...

2011-03-10 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3389832

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
ewengler - 2011-03-09 9:50 AM

I signed up to run a half marathon, my first, on April 16. But I've been running minimally to not at all for 3 weeks because of piriformis syndrome and sciatica. I ran through the pain until I simply couldn't anymore and then went to a PT. Got the OK from her to start running again. Pain has diminished a lot and I'm doing my exercises.   

I am a relatively new runner and done plenty of 5ks but have never run more than 8 miles continuously. I was trying to be smart and not ramp up the mileage too fast, but here I am injured anyway.

Since I am healing well, I wonder if it is realistic to think about running the half marathon in 6 weeks. If it is, then I need a plan.

I had been following Hal Higdon's Intermediate plan, but now am considering switching to his beginner plan for the next 6 weeks, modified for my tri training as so:

Higdon's Novice Half Marathon

week

Monday

Tues

Wed

Thurs

Fri

Sat

Sun

Swim

45 min elliptical

3 m run

Start here

Rest

4.5 m run +

strength

50 min

Spin

7 m run

Swim

4.5 m

run

3 m run

or cross

4.5 m run

Swim

50 min

Spin

8 m run

Swim

5 m run

3 m run or cross

5 m run +

strength

Rest or

easy run

Spin

10-K Race (but I will just run 10K not as race)

Swim

5 m run

3 m run or cross

5 m run +

strength

Swim

60 min

Spin

9 m run

Swim

5 m run

3 m run or cross

5 m run +

strength

Rest

60 min

Spin

10 m run

Swim

4 m run

3 m run

or cross

Rest

Rest

Half

Marathon

Opinions or suggestions?     I am open to all, even the opinion that says don't do it!

Thanks for your help! ---Beth

Beth, I will preface my advice with the admission that I tend to look at run training fairly conservatively, especially when it comes to new runners and runners with a history of injury.

Looking back at your logs, prior to your injury, it looks like you were around 15 miles per week divided between 3-4 runs, with a long run in the 5-6 mile range. The plan you propose would have you running 20 miles over 4 runs next week. I would probably caution against it.... I think that might be too much of an increase, especially considering that you are coming off of an injury. I think you would be better served in the long run by gradually working on increasing your overall running volume. Keep the pace easy for now - stay away from intervals and the like... I've said it before but I'll say it again, I think more running-related injuries result from trying to run too hard/fast than from trying to run too long/far.... I hate to be discouraging, but I think it would be safer for you to skip this one...
2011-03-10 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3391515

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
tribeagle - 2011-03-10 9:27 AM

I could race a 4-miler this weekend.  Is that OK 2 weeks out from the marathon?  I suspect it would end up being faster than marathon pace - maybe closer to a tempo run. 

Maybe I'll wait and see what the weather is doing...

I don't see any problem with doing essentially a 4 mile tempo run 2 weeks out from your marathon, in fact, it might help sharpen your speed.... During my tapers, I tend to keep speed/intensity up, but lower volume and allow more time for recovery.

2011-03-10 12:08 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Hey Beth, for what it's worth, I just did a 1/2 and trained mainly based on the hal higdon novice plan.  But I started 10 weeks out, and went into it fairly healthy.  My friend and I were also OK with walking some...decided our "strategy" was to walk any significant uphills.  That worked for us, though my IT band and her knee issues flared up some as we ramped up the miles.  6 weeks would have really been pushing it for us, but I think if you were OK with walking a significant portion it might push it from being a no-go to a maybe.  What does your PT say about ramping up that quickly?   
2011-03-10 12:23 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
^^^ Good point... if you used a run/walk strategy, your plan might work. You could always see how it goes for a week or two, just be really careful, and prepare to pull back at the first sign of trouble. Not worth it to risk aggravating your injury and potentially set yourself up for a longer set-back to recover, IMO....
2011-03-10 1:55 PM

User image

Regular
Minnesota
Thanks, Jenny and Squirt. A friend suggested run/walking it too. But, I ran again yesterday and to make even three miles, I had to run 3 min/walk 1 min. Piriformis OK but my hip flexors were almost painfully tight afterward in spite of good cool down walking and stretching.  Since I can spin and swim without pain, I'm lucky. I'm going to try to count my blessings, take the running slowly, and be sure I heal up for the tri season that starts at the end of May and which I care more about than one half marathon.  Thanks for your advice and helping me think about it. --Beth
2011-03-10 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3392354

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
ewengler - 2011-03-10 2:55 PM

Thanks, Jenny and Squirt. A friend suggested run/walking it too. But, I ran again yesterday and to make even three miles, I had to run 3 min/walk 1 min. Piriformis OK but my hip flexors were almost painfully tight afterward in spite of good cool down walking and stretching.  Since I can spin and swim without pain, I'm lucky. I'm going to try to count my blessings, take the running slowly, and be sure I heal up for the tri season that starts at the end of May and which I care more about than one half marathon.  Thanks for your advice and helping me think about it. --Beth

Sorry to hear that, Beth It's frustrating when you feel like you want to do more and you just can't.... While you're working your running back up slowly, you might also consider incorporating some water running into your training schedule. It can be a very good substitute for "real" running without the impact - especially if you do some harder interval-type sessions. Here's some good info: http://www.aquajogger.com/blog/?page_id=128
2011-03-10 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington

Does anyone have and good suggestions for after workout meals or snacks?  I would say my average workout is around 60-120 min with both cardio and lifting on a normal day.  After that I am Starvin Marvin big time!  Thanks!

Marcus

2011-03-10 8:49 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Beth, sounds like the right decision given your goals and the timimg.

Sorry, but I'm not the one to ask about post workout fueling.  I'd like to drop a few more lbs, so unless I need to eat to get my blood glucose levels back up, I tend have a little coffee and just wait until the next regular meal. 

Did my first brick of the year today....10 miles on my mtn bike + 2.5 miles run.  Also swam 1750 yards and did a little strength training this morning.  Didn't really plan to do all that in one day, but the weather was great, so I seized the moment.  Had a calf cramp as I started running right off the bike , but walked a little and worked it out.  Decided that was my cue to come back and take one of my dogs with me on the run.  She was very happy with that arrangement.  Probably buying a bike this weekend....going to test drive a couple at the local bike shop and see which one I like. 

2011-03-10 10:59 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

I tore a calf muscle roughly 10 weeks before my IM last year.  I was allowed to walk on it, so I walked up to 20 miles a week.  I then had to go to a walk 3 minute jog 1 minute alteration for a few weeks and just kind of work up from there with a good 1 mile warmup walk and cool down walk.  I was able to run the entire IM, but then took 2 months off running to try to let the legs heal up.  You have to start off really slow or risk reagrovating things.  The sports doc said basically 2 months to heal a minor tear/pull. 

As for the 4 miler 2 weeks out from a mary... I wouldn't.  It depends on how hard you run it, but if you go full tilt like I did last Saturday, I am still feeling it 5 days later.  Yes I can run and such, but my top gear is not there and I have less umph than if I were rested.  I find it hard to be in a race and not race it.  But up to you and how much you are able to not go full tilt in your race.  Tempo for me is much slower than a LT 5k pace. 

2011-03-11 9:35 AM

User image

Hi Jenny,

Is it still possible to join?

I'll introduce myself a bit. I'm a 28 year old guy from Belgium. And I have been doing a lot of sports in my life, but to be honnest, never was very good at anything, well... maybe powerlifting, that was not too bad ;-)

About 3 years ago, I started running with a neighbor, but because he didn't have time, we stopped, and I tried to keep training myself. But I also had several months of inactivity.

About 2 years ago, I started cycling with 4-5 other neighbors, and we are doing this every week from march till October. This year, I bought myself a crosstrainer for during the winter.

I've always been too heavy, and now in februari, I started with a protein diet, and already lost 10kg (20lbs) with it. In total (less "bad" food, and more training before I started the protein diet) I already lost 14kg (28lbs). And I'm going for 10kg (20lbs) more.

2 weeks ago, I started running and cycling again, and now I also started swimming, because I really want to do some triathlons (sprints or 1/8s first ofcourse).
I did swim a lot when I was young, but that was 10-15 years ago, so I lost all my technique. I just purchased the TI freestyle made easy, and plan starting with it on sunday.

Kind regards

Tim

2011-03-11 11:18 AM

New user

Okay so here is my latest question.  I used the custom workout tool on here (the free one) and so far I feel super good about distances and expectations.  I had limited knowledge when putting it together but I have been reading and spending time on here like crazy (yes, even a little OCD).  I put the workouts on what appeared to be best for my schedule but am now second guessing one big thing.

Obviously bricks are good but I am wondering if it matters how we place the bricks.  For example, yesterday I did a 650y in 12m and followed it by a 1.14 m run (14m).  Should I be doing bricks in the order they are on race day or doesn't it really matter what order I train in as long as I am building a base??

2011-03-11 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

peteacher, I'm not sure the answer to your question.  From my extremely limited experience and a lot of reading (I hear you on the OCD thing), I think the most important thing re: bricks is to get used to going from bike to run. 

tim, hope they let you into the group.  Congrats on all you are doing to restart already!

OK, are you guys tired of me yet on the bike questions yet?  Here's the deal.  I'm hoping to test drive a 2009 lightly used Scott Contessa Speedster.  Shimano 105 components, 47 cm (I'm 5ft3.5).  Hutchinson Tires, Alexis Rims, Cat Eye bike computer and water bottles cages included. Priced at $899, but hopefully could get it down to $800....was $1100 new (and 2011 models are around $1,300). Supposedly very few miles....ridden in one 1/2 ironman on a gal's bucket list and now she's not interested in riding.  Said I could have it checked out at the LBS.  Said that the LBS where they bought it will do free tune ups on it for life and they are within probably 20-30 minutes drive.

Other option in my range seems to be new 2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (Sram Apex components) for $1,300 from the local bike shop.  Again, I plan to ride it and compare.

So my question...if I like both bikes, does the 2009 Scott sound like a good deal if it fits me?  Anything positive or negative about that particular bike that anyone knows of? It would be very nice to have that extra $500 to spend on shoes and maybe a couple of race entries. 

Edited by squirt 2011-03-11 1:35 PM

2011-03-11 2:09 PM
in reply to: #3394049

User image

Regular
Minnesota
squirt - 2011-03-11 1:34 PM

peteacher, I'm not sure the answer to your question.  From my extremely limited experience and a lot of reading (I hear you on the OCD thing), I think the most important thing re: bricks is to get used to going from bike to run. 

tim, hope they let you into the group.  Congrats on all you are doing to restart already!

OK, are you guys tired of me yet on the bike questions yet?  Here's the deal.  I'm hoping to test drive a 2009 lightly used Scott Contessa Speedster.  Shimano 105 components, 47 cm (I'm 5ft3.5).  Hutchinson Tires, Alexis Rims, Cat Eye bike computer and water bottles cages included. Priced at $899, but hopefully could get it down to $800....was $1100 new (and 2011 models are around $1,300). Supposedly very few miles....ridden in one 1/2 ironman on a gal's bucket list and now she's not interested in riding.  Said I could have it checked out at the LBS.  Said that the LBS where they bought it will do free tune ups on it for life and they are within probably 20-30 minutes drive.

Other option in my range seems to be new 2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (Sram Apex components) for $1,300 from the local bike shop.  Again, I plan to ride it and compare.

So my question...if I like both bikes, does the 2009 Scott sound like a good deal if it fits me?  Anything positive or negative about that particular bike that anyone knows of? It would be very nice to have that extra $500 to spend on shoes and maybe a couple of race entries. 

As long as the bike fits and checks out (I'd take them up on the offer to have your LBS look at it), I've heard good things about Scott. It has good components. The test drive will tell. I'm not sure if Apex is the Sram equivalent of Shimano 105s--maybe someone else knows? 

Happy shopping!!

2011-03-11 4:02 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Thanks Beth!  Really appreciate you sharing your knowledge.  You guys have already taught me a lot, but still lots to learn.  I read up on the SRAM apex online a little....fairly new...good reviews, and I think they were trying to position them a little below their other lines (Red & Rival) and to go against the 105's.
2011-03-11 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3393580

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Spippo - 2011-03-11 10:35 AM

Hi Jenny,

Is it still possible to join?

I'll introduce myself a bit. I'm a 28 year old guy from Belgium. And I have been doing a lot of sports in my life, but to be honnest, never was very good at anything, well... maybe powerlifting, that was not too bad ;-)

About 3 years ago, I started running with a neighbor, but because he didn't have time, we stopped, and I tried to keep training myself. But I also had several months of inactivity.

About 2 years ago, I started cycling with 4-5 other neighbors, and we are doing this every week from march till October. This year, I bought myself a crosstrainer for during the winter.

I've always been too heavy, and now in februari, I started with a protein diet, and already lost 10kg (20lbs) with it. In total (less "bad" food, and more training before I started the protein diet) I already lost 14kg (28lbs). And I'm going for 10kg (20lbs) more.

2 weeks ago, I started running and cycling again, and now I also started swimming, because I really want to do some triathlons (sprints or 1/8s first ofcourse).
I did swim a lot when I was young, but that was 10-15 years ago, so I lost all my technique. I just purchased the TI freestyle made easy, and plan starting with it on sunday.

Kind regards

Tim

Sure, Tim! We'd be glad to have you!! Congrats on the progress you've made so far, and welcome aboard!!
2011-03-11 5:00 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Squirt, I agree with Beth. The Scott sounds like a good deal if it fits. I'm not that familiar with SRAM component lines either, but I think Apex is roughly equivalent in quality to 105.... I took a quick look at the specs of both bikes, and from what I saw they look pretty similar. I think the Scott may have a triple crank, vs. a compact double crank on the Specialized. If the bikes were the same price, I would say go for the compact over the triple, but I wouldn't consider the triple a deal-breaker in any way. My road bike has a triple crank w/105 components, and it works fine. Sometimes shifting in the front can get a little quirky, but nothing terrible... I would definitely check out the Scott and take it for a test ride. Let us know how it goes!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go! Rss Feed  

of 23