BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-05-15 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
Good morning all-beautiful day here. Feel pretty good after yesterday's race.  Will clean up race gear and swap out wheels today.  Maybe an easy recovery ride this afternoon to flush the legs a bit.  Enjoy the day.

Randy

2011-05-15 5:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

Back from a 3.5 mile run.  Wanted to do 6 but I wasn't feeling good.  I didn't eat much today.  I think I just didn't have the energy.  Oh well...at least it was something.  Next week is a recovery/taper week for me.  Feels strange to have an easy week after doing nothing the last few days.  I'm really looking forward to next weeks race. 

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Christy

2011-05-15 11:02 PM

User image

Regular
Carmichael

My race today got bumped to next sunday due to a downpour of rain and thunderstorms today. Kind of bummed as I was feeling ready but oh well. Got a 5 mile run in this evening.

@Randy- I have found that I perform better in shorter distance races like Sprint or Olympic with little or no taper at all. A slow endurance pace ride the day before, like I did this week tends to help me I guess. Plus my main focus at this point is Victoria HIM June 19th and I don't really want to miss a key workout.

If you don't mind me asking, what are other peoples thoughts on tapering leading into race day?

2011-05-16 8:23 AM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX

Congrats, Randy, on your race! Wow! After my miserable tri Sunday, yours sounds amazing.

My swim was really bad!! Swam 10.11 300y vs. 9.11 300y last time.This race had two lanes where swimmers would travel up and back down lane...if you got behind a couple of slow swimmers (of course I am one) a big block occurred. You couldn't pass because of the swimmer coming back down on the other side of the lane. I would have to stop and try not to sink and then start all over again when the "mass" got going. I actually panicked for the first time in water because I was getting so tired. Is this type of swim normal for tris? Did I just luck out the first time with what I consider a "normal" swim pattern?

On a better note, my bike and run was a little better than my first tri. Biked 47.5 on a windy, hilly course vs. 49.5 on the first, easier course. My run was 9.20m vs. 9.57m.

I am NOT giving up, though. Will start plugging away at making my swim stronger and continue to better myself on the bike and run.

Overall I placed fourth out of five in my age group. The first three winners were awesome. They were a year to two years older than me and averaged 1:20 overall vs. my 1:32. Kudos to them!

2011-05-16 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3501159

User image

Master
South Alabama
Deb-I have never done a race where the swim was in a pool but it seems that there are lots of potential problems that are out of your control....like the backlog of swimmers in front of you.  You improved on the bike and run where you had greater control over your performance.  Don't get down on the swim just keep at it and keep improving.  Nice job!

Randy
2011-05-16 10:18 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Tapering.....I think the general thought is the longer the race the longer the taper.  Also, whether the race is your "A", "B" or "C" race comes into play.  Like Matt pointed out he is focused on his HIM so trained right up to race day. 

This year as I have done Sprint and Olympic distance so far I have cut back a good bit on training the week leading into a race.  During that "taper" week I will still try to maintain some good intensity in all 3 areas until maybe Wed. or Thursday and then just do more active recovery workout after that.   I feel better if I am doing something so easy bike/swim the day before the race if I can.  Volume is also lower during that week leading into a race but usually I am coming off a couple of higher volume/intensity weeks so I would be looking to cut back some anyway.  

Randy  

2011-05-16 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Deb-Congrats on the race! Sorry the swim was so rough. I've never done a pool swim for a tri.  I can imagine how bunched up it could get.  But it sounds like the bike and run were good!

I am a big fan of taperingSmile.  I really look forward to it.  I'm not sure if it's more of a mental thing or if I really need it physically.   I am doing an oly this weekend and a HIM in 6 weeks.  I'm trying not to let this weeks taper impact the HIM.  I switched weeks and did made this week my recovery week.

I got a massage this morning.  It was SOO painful.  I hope it helps.  I'm going to try to get a swim in this afternoon.  If not, I'll get on the bike trainer after the kids are in bed. 

Christy

2011-05-16 6:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Hey all,

After a pretty frustrating week of training last week, I am starting to feel a bit better. Ended up not getting in my long ride last Friday, but I did get on a spin bike for 30min, and went straight into a 30min run (Z1/Z2), and also surfed for about 2.5 hours. I didn't feel like I did anything, but I know I did.

Surfed again on Saturday for a while and took it easy. And Sunday I did a 50 mile ride, it was very windy, but the ride was good. Had crank problems on the way back, but still managed to hammer it out on the way back. The good news of the ride is my nutrition is starting to come along during the ride.

In other news, it is looking like towards the end of next week I will be getting a bike upgrade...I am really excited, as my entry-level Felt just isn't quite cutting it anymore. I want to be a bit more aggressive with the bike. I am also going to invest in a trainer, I know I will ride a lot more if I can hop on the trainer for an hour or two, and I can still knock out studying for school (pages in my book might get sweaty, but oh well).

Today I did some strength work...my legs and upper body feel like noodles. Was supposed to swim, but an afternoon thunderstorm shut the pool down as I was walking in. GRRRR

Oh well, I just switched the days around, and I will swim tomorrow, and do a distance run in the afternoon. Have a great week everyone.

Congrats on the race, Debbie! Sorry to hear about the pool incident.

2011-05-16 6:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Meant to add in my 2 cents on pedals.

When I first was starting out, I felt the same way about being locked-in on the pedals. However, I decided to go for it, and I am REALLY glad that I did. When you really look at it, the cage/strap pedals are almost harder to get out of in a quick and efficient manner. If you have a trainer, or know someone that does, practice getting clipped in, and kicking out of the pedals. Now, it has become second nature, and I have only fallen over once (when I stopped to see an old friend, extremely graceful)

2011-05-16 7:07 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore

Hey all,

Glad to see the group is doing well!  I've been somewhat busy the last week or so, sorry for not being around more.  I've got a lot to read back through...sorry if I make 10 posts in a row!

I had my next rounds of tests this morning.  I also got a migraine about an hour beforehand, so that was a welcome treat.  Luckily the doc said that it wouldn't affect the test so I went ahead with them.  They showed nothing unusual, so I still have no idea what's causing the vertigo when I run.  One test is to actually trigger vertigo while running water through your ears so after that I decided to go home and to bed as I felt pretty crappy.  I'll have to follow up with the ENT to figure out what the next step is.

2011-05-16 7:08 PM
in reply to: #3494238

User image

Master
Baltimore
wangersinc - 2011-05-11 4:45 PM

Pops head out of cave: http://www.usatriathlon.org/member-services/rankings

Retreatsback into cave.

Am struggling with a popliteal injury plus just sprained my ankle on a trail race so am staying away from things that tempt me into working out.

Haha, I know how you feel.  Rest up and recover and hope to see you back out there soon!

2011-05-16 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3494308

User image

Master
Baltimore
PnkHxC81 - 2011-05-11 5:09 PM

Goals

Short Term
1. Finish HIM in October
2. Be consistent in my training. (swim 2x, bike 3x, run 3x per week) This would mean getting up early and training.
3. Sub 18 min 5K
4. Sub 42 min 10K

Long Term
1. Complete IM distance race
2. Compile enough times to apply for and make the Air Force Triathlon Team

Dreams
1. Kona Qualify in my AG

I am still new and havn't completed many races. So I am sure over the next few years these will be adjusted and I will get a better idea of times that I would like to achieve. A question I have is

In las vegas the bike leg tends to be hilly and windy which effects your time. How do you translate that time to times on courses that are flat? I am trying to get an idea of how much I need to improve to get to certain goals. 

It's all but impossible.  Your best bet is to figure out your ranking (e.g. you finished 11% on the bike) and what that correlates to on the planned race's results from last year.  Of course, it all depends on who shows up on raceday. Even the same course in different years can be vastly different due to weather (heat and wind mostly).  Speed is a poor metric to measure on the bike for that reason and people like to use HR, RPE and Power to help standardize it all.

2011-05-16 7:18 PM
in reply to: #3494797

User image

Master
Baltimore
Savage8778 - 2011-05-11 10:52 PM

Hey all,

Sorry for the delay in my post-race report. I wanted to be able to dedicate a little bit of time to put some thought into this post, more-so than the average post.

I am putting alot of this same information in a race log, so sorry if the information is the same.

Event: Beaches Fine Arts Sprint Triathlon (Event #1) Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

Pre-Event: After a (seemingly) short nights sleep, my alarm rang at 4:00 am, I went downstairs grabbed my coffee and my smoothie (that I made the night before). I was remarkably calm/focused, and started to get "in the zone" by listening to music. After I got dressed, and put some warm-up clothes on (it was somewhat chilly in the AM) I was out the door. The drive was the longest 12 mile drive I have ever experienced. Upon arrival, I was surprised by how many people were already there. I had to park across the street, and walk over with all my stuff. After waiting in line to get body-marked, and chipped I walked over to the transition area. Upon arrival I found my worst nightmare, 7 bikes needing to go on a very small area. Many of the guys on the rack had spaced their bikes, not being very respectful of the rest (me and another guy) who had to put their bikes on the rack. After some moving the bikes around, I got my bike in and started to set transition up. Unfortunately, the guy who was right next to me, decided to put his towel behind his bike (it was a a two sided bike rack) which to me made no sense, he would have to walk around the rack or go under the rack to get his bike out. Regardless, I claimed my rightful area next to my bike. Next time I will be there immediately when the transition area opens at 5:30am (I arrived to transition around 6:15). Sorry for the rant...

Swim (1/4 mi.): The swim was in the Atlantic ocean, and was a beach start. The water was slow to warm up, and in years past the first race (May) has been wetsuit legal sometimes, and other times it has not. This year, it was wetsuit legal and unfortunately the tri wetsuit I had ordered was back ordered. I wore a high-end surfing wetsuit (very flexible material, but not the same anatomical design). I was plenty warm, and was glad I decided to wear it, it was somewhat cool.

The race had 5 waves: 1) under 39, 2) over 40, 3) Women, 4) Athena, Clydesdale, Uniform, Fat-tire, and team, 5) Novice (first-timer).

Standing on the beach after I did a slight warm up (not near enough, I was rather rushed I felt), and swam in the water rather quickly.

Fast forward to race start, I looked at the guys in my wave. Wow...I was not expecting the level of competition from these guys (I started to notice then when looking at the insane bike set-ups...DROOL).

I placed myself on the outside of the pack, as I did not want to spend the time weaving in and out of people. The gun goes off and we all start running out to the water. It was rather shallow (less than 2-3 feet), so it was either run with high knees or dive through repetitively. I chose a mixture of the two. I had trouble getting into a decent rhythm for my breathing and stroke, partially due to my nerves, other because it was rather rough (about 2-3 foot waves, and somewhat choppy). The course was a point to point...from the beach to the buoy turn to go along shore, then finally turn in towards shore (perpendicular). As I approached the first buoy I noticed two guys somewhat to the side of me. I made my turn and I got passed by the first guy, and he started to drift in front of me. I stayed on his feet for a little bit (not really on purpose), and next thing I remember is a thump on the back of my head. I had been kicked by the guy right on the back of the head. My ears started to ring, and vision was somewhat blurry. I somewhat panicked for a little, and turned on my back and looked up at the sky trying to control my breathing (and nerves). I finally got calmed down, and turned back to my chest. I tried to get back into my groove, but I could not put my head down in the water as it caused some serious head pain. I swam the rest of the distance with my head out water, and was still passing people.

Swim Stage Time: 13:00, AG Rank 13

T1: After I got out of the water, I started the insane run to T1 (at least 750m) through soft sand and on concrete (ouch!). I peeled off my wetsuit, grabbed my water bottle to rinse off my feet and was off. My shoes were on my pedals already, and got on my bike without a hitch

T1 Time: 3:01 (quickest in AG was 1:57), have something to work on, but was not a slow transition by any means. Partial slow down was due to guy who had his towel behind the rack (read above), but I was somewhat rude and made myself at home and got my bike.

Bike (13.8 miles): I got on the bike, and got my shoes on pretty easily. Glad I practiced this a bunch. The bike course was an out and back with a decent sized bridge (read climb) in the middle of the course. I got probably about 3-4 miles in, and finally started to get my legs underneath me. Then came the bridge. This is where my lack of bridge/hill training killed me, I didn't know what gear to keep it in. I finally got over it, and coasted down (I was going fast...almost too fast...ha). The whole time my bike was shifting somewhat weird, taking a long time to finally get locked into the gear.

I made the turn, and felt pretty good. Made it back over the bridge, and made it back to the transition area, and felt fresh. Not too happy with my bike time, and know I can gain at least 4-5 minutes with the bike time, but now I have a baseline.

Bike Time: 41:04, AG Rank 13

T2: I ran past my bike just a little, but quickly found it, racked my bike, and slipped on my race belt, shoes, and grabbed my hat to put on while running. Time: 1:20

Run (3.1 Mile): I started off with a decent pace. Nothing too fast, but wanted to try and tame my body down a bit and push the last 1-2 miles. I started off with a 8:30 mile for the first mile, and started to pick up towards the end. Nothing really to write about with the time, other than that I can definitely push it harder next time.

Time: 24:56, AG Rank 13

Overall Time: 1:23:19, Overall rank 122/305, AG Rank 14/19

Not too happy, about my time but when looking at the novice division, I would of placed 3rd (out of 45 novices), so I felt a little bit better. A lot of positives from the race. I felt fresh the whole time, I am definitely going to push it the next race.

Nutrition/Water wise: I had two bottles on my bike. 1 with Endurox, and 1 with water. I will only be taking 1 bottle with me next time with a diluted Endurox mix.

Other than that, I am really focusing on my running the next few weeks, as well as my biking. Swim is feeling amazing (aside from getting kicked in the head). Sorry for the long post!

Nice race!  You've got to love the transition spacing...cramming 10 bikes into the space for 5.  I've definitely felt your frustrations before.  Getting there early doesn't always help either, as others will not be so nice moving your stuff out of their way.  It's amazing how much respect people will have when you're there and then how little once you walk away.  Ok, sorry, my rant over to  

2011-05-16 7:29 PM
in reply to: #3499052

User image

Master
Baltimore
cbrookhart - 2011-05-14 4:47 PM

This weekend, and pretty much all of last week, is lost for me.  I just had no time to get my workouts it.  I'm really upset about it, but there is nothing I can do.  My gym hours on the weekend aren't great and I'm basiclly a single mom this weekend so, i don't have many options.  I shouldn't complain.  But I get so cranky when I don't workout.  I need some kind of outlet. Plus my HIM is in 6 weeks.  I'm getting nervous and I worry I won't be ready.

Since I can't do much else, I think I'm going to spend some time practicing changing my bike tube and getting in and out of my wetsuit.

Christy

Good ideas.  I learned quickly my actuals will never be what I planned.  Living with that is tough.  I don't even what to think about what kids will do to it!  I can't believe anyone with kids actually does tri's!

2011-05-16 8:04 PM
in reply to: #3499348

User image

Master
Baltimore

slornow - 2011-05-14 8:51 PM Matt-thanks. Tough workout for the day before a race.  Good luck tomorrow-tear it up!

Pedals: I use Shimano Ultegra. That is the "SPD" style like other Shimano models. It is what I started withe 2 years ago and have seen no reason to change.  Clipping out really becomes second nature after a ride or two.  Clip in pedals are so much more efficient in transfering power....probably one of the "best bang for the buck" bike upgrades you can make.  I have some basic Specialized cheap bike shoes for training and some LG Tri shoes for races.  Tri shoes will typically have only one strap or a more simplified closure system to make it easier/quicker to use during a race.  

Randy

x2.  Probably the first upgrade you should make and the most important.  I do all my riding in tri shoes now and some Look Keos.  People argue all the time about Shimano vs Look, but I really don't think there's a difference any of us will notice.  I went with cheaper shoes for a long time but have always had some issues with fit and "hotspots".  I decided to invest in a nice pair so that's when I got the tri shoes.  Turns out the nice tri shoes were a lot more comfortabel than the cheap road shoes so I never went back (imagine that!).

2011-05-16 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3499108

User image

Master
Baltimore

slornow - 2011-05-14 5:30 PM Survived the 4+ hour drive home and have pulled up final results. Very pleased overall...but I left some time out on the course:

Heading into this I was worried about my run since I had several injuries flare up after my race 4 weeks ago.  I have only run about 30 miles in the last month.  Going in I was hoping to break 2:30.  Broken down I was thinking 30 minutes for swim and 2 transitions.  1:08 or so for bike and 50 minutes for the run.  That left me a little wiggle room to get in under 2:30.

Swim 1500m time 30:07 11/50 in age group (AG) Not a good start.  It was a solid swim in a nice lake.  Consistent effort with no problems but thought 2:30 was out the door when I looked at my watch coming out of the water.  In looking at the results 11th in my AG last year was 26:00.  Not sure if course was long or what but everyone I talked to said there swim was slow...Lots of time to make up.

T1 2:04 pretty good for me.

Bike 25 miles  time 1:07:21  22.3 mph avg. 4/50 AG.  Oh what could have been.  Felt good on the bike and was moving along well.  At about mile 6 we start up a long hill and as I shift I drop my chain.  Its wedged in so I have to find a place to stop and then work the chain out.  UGH! 2:30 now seems an impossibility.  Figure I lost 2-3 minutes here.  Rest of the bike fairly uneventful.  I just kept plugging and really wasn't upset as I thought 2:30 was lost anyway.  Pushed the last 6 miles or so pretty hard and felt like I was around 1:08 coming into T2.  In looking at the results the top bike split in the AG was 1:05:10..... I might have been close without the chain issue

T2 1:17 not great

Run 10k 46:34 (7:31/mile)  16/50 AG  As I headed out of T2 my watch said 1:40 elapsed time so I needed sub 50 minutes to get in under 2:30.  Felt pretty good so decided I would try to maintain 7:45/mile pace and see how long I could hold on.  The miles slowly clicked by and I was maintaining  the pace so building a little buffer for my 50 minute time.  Faded between miles 3 and 4 but then starting feeling better at mile 4 so pushed a little faster and then pushed a little more to the finish.  I thought I was in the 2:28 range and was really pleasantly surprised with the run.  Hopefully, my quad and hamstring wont flare up tomorrow like they did after my last race.  Very happy with my run.

OVERALL-pleased with the result.  Ended up 7/50 in AG.  This race was considered the USAT Southeast Regional Championships so awards went 5 deep.  Without the chain issue I might have been #4-5 but its not a big deal.....don't really need another coffee cup anyway   Really glad I was able to mark off a couple of my season goals including 1) sub 2:30 Olympic 2) sub 50 min. Olympic 10k run  

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and support

Randy   

Congrats Randy!  Killer bike even with the chain issue.

2011-05-16 8:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Joe-I'm sorry you're still having problems when you run. That sucks.  I'm sure it's frustrating that they can't figure out what is wrong.  It's strange it only happens when you run. I hope this latest round of tests gets you some answers.  

I have a random bike question.  My bike has around 250 miles on it.  I have a race Sunday.  Should I get it tuned up?  I haven't had anything done to it since I bought it. 

Christy

2011-05-16 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3502847

User image

Master
South Alabama
Joe-good to have you back.  Hope you can get the health issues straightened out.

Christy-bike should be fine unless you have noticed some problems.  With only 250 miles cables should be fine.  As long as derailleurs and brakes seem to be working you should be good.

Randy  
2011-05-17 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples

Hey all : )

Disney Half Ironman, I did it!!!!!!!

Day before (Saturday): Thunderstorms with 50 mph winds, just praying they don't cancel the race, and hoping my new bike is not getting too wet.....

Pre Race (Sunday Morning): Wake up at 4am, feel well rested ready to go, have twin brother and dad doing race with me, brother has done Disney Half Ironman 3 times before and dad and I are Half Virgins.  It's still raining and lightening, race was delayed.  Dad's wave starts before ours.  Dad is only 70 years old.  Seeing him getting into water is a moving experience. 

Race Start: Jump into lake, and its full of weeds, I stay to outside to avoid being kick, off to a good start.  But end up spending more time with boats instead of buoys.  I zig-zaged the swim course, googles fogged up, got kicked in the stomach, fun stuff.  I think I drank more water than I swam in.  Swim was slower than I expected or hoped for, probably because I was all over the course.  Time was 42 minutes for 1.2 mile swim. My brother was 4 minutes ahead of me and dad was 1 hour and 6 minutes for the swim.

Transition 1: Because it was raining in morning we did not lay out any of our stuff.  Mine was all clumped together in a garbage bag, thats probably why it took me 5+ minutes to transition.  I was frantically searching for my stuff and in my rush for things I forgot my sunglasses and gloves.

Bike: I had a great bike ride!  Can't believe how good I felt.  I passed a lot of people throughout the whole bike portion.  Was a hilly ride, and strong headwind.  My average was 21 and I was comfortable all the way.  My brother was pulled off to the side of the road with a sore back.  I was shocked to see him, he is a HECK of alot faster then me and has completed 3 full Ironmans.  Lack of training and bad seat position on bike did not help his cause.  We traded spots for the remainder of the ride.  He finished just ahead of me.  The bike portion flew by, my time was 2:40 for 56 miles.  My dad was 3:20.

Transition 2: Got biked racked and headed out seemed quick, but my brother was in and out quick, put me to shame. 

Run: Starting run felt good but got tired on 2nd mile and that feeling stayed with me for a couple miles.  I ran most of the way and walked the water stops.  The miles seemed to fad away, my time was 2:08! I did not expect to be that fast.  My brother and I ran together for most of the way which made it go by quick, he and I were close the whole way.  At around 10 miles I felt good and ran ahead.  I saw my dad for the first time since the swim start at mile 12, he was at miles four and looked good, he inspired me to finish.  My last few miles were trying to survive, I kept on thinking, got to beat your brother, can't let him catch you.  We are very comptetive. The only way I can beat him is for him to have a bad race.

Finish: Most awesome feeling! I can't explain it.  A rush of emotions.  During the race I felt tired, but not as tired as I did when I stopped!  I was exhausted.  But the satisfaction of finishing a goal is better than the tired feeling you have.  My time was 5:41:00 my brother was just a few minutes behind (I have bragging rights till next race!).  My dad finished in 8 hours 13 minutes not bad for a 70 year old.  We did it!

Reflecting: Let me say that competing in this race with my brother and dad was awesome.  I am grateful for the training programs on BT, it prepared me for my race.  I felt good all the way through. 

HECK YA I AM GOING TO START TRAINING FOR A FULL IRONMAN IN OCTOBER!  But I will take a few weeks off and enjoy some R & R.

Rob Avola

BIBAGESTATE/COUNTRYPROFESSION
64745Naples FL USATeacher

SWIMBIKERUNOVERALLRANKDIV.POS.
42:322:40:292:08:205:41:0062384

LEGDISTANCEPACERANKDIV.POS.
TOTAL SWIM1.2 mi. (42:32)2:14/100m80279

TOTAL BIKE56 mi. (2:40:29)20.94 mph56373

RUN SPLIT 1: 3.5 mi3.5 mi (32:49)9:22/mi
RUN SPLIT 2: 7.75 mi4.25 mi (41:44)9:49/mi
RUN SPLIT 3: 12.25 mi4.5 mi (45:51)10:11/mi
RUN SPLIT 4: 13.1 mi0.85 mi (7:56)9:20/mi
TOTAL RUN13.1 mi (2:08:20)9:47/mi62384

TRANSITIONTIME
T1: SWIM-TO-BIKE5:48
T2: BIKE-TO-RUN3:51

2011-05-17 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Rob-What a great race report!!  It sounds like a wonderful day.  How awesome that you got to do it with your dad and brother.  And beating your brother...does it get better? 

I'm doing my first half in 6 weeks.  Any tips? 

Christy

2011-05-17 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3504001

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

What a fantastic race Rob!! Congrats on your accomplishment, and beating your brother (I know how competitive siblings can get!)

An IronMan... wow!! Kudos to you!! Can't wait to hear about it!!

2011-05-17 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3504024

User image

Veteran
Naples

Christy -  Thanks!  yeah, it was AWESOME

Advice, I would say, enjoy it and just go with the flow, and stay focused on task at hand.  I couldn't control rain, I just bought garbage bags : )  I could not control my out of control swim so I just focused on the next stroke.  I could have got upset at forgetting sunglasses and gloves on the bike, instead I just pushed the peddles down.  I could have gotten upset at all the people drafting and yelled at them, well I did that (hee hee). 

Enjoy the day, time is really not important in this, I hardly looked at my watch.  Just keep pushing!   

2011-05-17 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3504045

User image

Veteran
Naples
khharms - 2011-05-17 12:44 PM

What a fantastic race Rob!! Congrats on your accomplishment, and beating your brother (I know how competitive siblings can get!)

An IronMan... wow!! Kudos to you!! Can't wait to hear about it!!

Thanks I think I am going to take at least a week off before starting Ironman training

2011-05-17 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3504024

User image

Veteran
Naples
cbrookhart - 2011-05-17 12:34 PM

Rob-What a great race report!!  It sounds like a wonderful day.  How awesome that you got to do it with your dad and brother.  And beating your brother...does it get better? 

I'm doing my first half in 6 weeks.  Any tips? 

Christy

Make sure you take rain gear

2011-05-17 1:39 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Rob-great race and race report!  Which Ironman are you going to do?

Randy
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56