BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2012-02-05 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3942453

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: SBR Endurance Group - CLOSED

Wahoooo Jaelin!!! Fantastic job! And LOL-of course you got the bug! You are meant to be a triathlete!

Awesome, awesome job!!

Jan

2012-02-05 9:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
What an awesome effort Jaelin, well done and congrats!!!
2012-02-06 7:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

thanks guys next race is a 5k, 40k 5k duathlon in 3 weeks

2012-02-06 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson

Great job Jaelin. Tremendous effort and it payed off. Looks like you're going to have a very successful season. Keep it up.

As for me, recovery week is over. It was much needed, but I'm ready to get back at it. Just finished an easy 6 mile run. Getting ready to head over to the pool for a 1 mile swim. I'm in a bit of a conundrum with the Oly coming up in May, then 70.3 in June. Trying to work on speed in order to qualify for the 5150 championships, but needing to apply more of an aerobic/muscular endurance effort for IMKS the following month. Goal is to qualify in my AG for the 5150, and go sub 6 at IMKS 70.3. It's doable, but kind of taxing on coming up with a proper training plan for myself. I guess if it was an athlete I was coaching, I would tell them to prioritize their races and train in accordance with their A race plan. My wife, who is also a certified USAT coach, just looks at me and shakes her head. I should have listened to my high school life sciences teacher who always quoted the 5 P's. Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

2012-02-06 3:09 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO

Congrats on your race Jaelin!  Good luck with your planning Roger!!

I had a good weekend of training - kind of annoying that I got a flat while on the trainer on Saturday so will use this opportunity to get my trainer tire put on but ya... didn't get to it all weekend and so today I slept through my trainer ride and declared it a 'REST' day.  THEN I realized that today is DAY 1 of my 20 week HIM plan!  Off to a great start!  And worried I might be coming down with something - sleeping LOTS.  Hopefully it'll pass.

So I'm starting my HIM training plan and still haven't figured out how I'll train for the run portion.  I've got some reading to do tonight in prep for this.  I didn't like the plan I used last time as it only had me running the distance 2x prior to race day and I guess I didn't do enough brick workouts because I cramped the whole freaking run.  It took me almost 3 hours to run 13.2 miles.  I want to be WAY better prepped this time around and have a solid run.

2012-02-07 1:54 AM
in reply to: #4032384

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
kimmax - 2012-02-07 7:09 AM

Congrats on your race Jaelin!  Good luck with your planning Roger!!

I had a good weekend of training - kind of annoying that I got a flat while on the trainer on Saturday so will use this opportunity to get my trainer tire put on but ya... didn't get to it all weekend and so today I slept through my trainer ride and declared it a 'REST' day.  THEN I realized that today is DAY 1 of my 20 week HIM plan!  Off to a great start!  And worried I might be coming down with something - sleeping LOTS.  Hopefully it'll pass.

So I'm starting my HIM training plan and still haven't figured out how I'll train for the run portion.  I've got some reading to do tonight in prep for this.  I didn't like the plan I used last time as it only had me running the distance 2x prior to race day and I guess I didn't do enough brick workouts because I cramped the whole freaking run.  It took me almost 3 hours to run 13.2 miles.  I want to be WAY better prepped this time around and have a solid run.

Nice race Jaelin.
Recovery weeks are great Roger. Back on the horse now!

How do you get a flat on the trainer?

Well I officially signed up for my first every HIM - Port Macquarie in October. So it is basically the start of the season for us in Australia, meaning I'l be training through the winter. Normally I don't tri train in winter as I referee soccer as a hobby and that keeps me pretty fit, but I lose a lot of bike/swim fitness.

Winter in Brisbane where I live is probably like summer for some of you - highs of 24C (77F) and overnight lows down around 5C (40F). But for me that's cold!

In other news I'm very close to buying my first tri bike. It'll be an Avanti Chrono 1.0. Avanti is an New Zealand brand. I'm going to pay $2.5k down from $4k. I figure it's a pretty good deal for a full carbon bike (except wheels) with mostly Shimano components (some 105, some ultegra and some dura ace). Looking forward to finally getting it.

Keep up the training everyone!

2012-02-07 3:50 AM

User image

Regular

Jaelin, I bet you will excell on that duathlon, good luck.

Marcia, hope you are not getting sick. It really gets in the way of training!

Good luck Roger, Stuart, Marcia and all of you making plans for training and hope nothing gets in your way.

How are you doing, Simone? Thinking about you!

I have about 10 weeks before my tri. I am not sure I will get a chance at an OWS before then. The only thing that bothers me about that is if the tri there (Florida) is wetsuit legal, I will not be used to a wetsuit since I have been swimming in the pool. I will probably do some wetsuit swims in the pool, but I hate wetsuits. I feel claustrophic in them. Can you go without a wetsuit even if everybody else is wearing them? What is the coldest temperature you should swim in without a wetsuit?

Hope everyone is having good workouts!

Jan

2012-02-07 3:58 AM

User image

Regular

Send us a pic of the bike when you get it Stuart! I want your winter.

Jan

PS-You guys keep me company at night in between phone calls. I am a phone triage nurse and some nights I am on the phone all night and other nights there are long breaks between phone calls. So sorry if I go on and on. Embarassed

2012-02-07 6:38 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO

No clue re: flat - odd indeed but fortunately it happened near the end of the ride.

CONGRATS on signing up for your first triathlon.  Not feeling a lot of pity re: winter training for you Stuart.

I've done races without wetsuits.  I also feel more comfortable without and figure the added seconds you gain from the buoyancy is often offset by the amount of time it takes me to get the bloody thing off.  I usually bring one with me just in case though.  Last year at my oly they announced it was mandatory wetsuit with water temps of 13 degrees.  One girl didn't bring hers and was really pi$$ed.  Even with mine it made for a brutal swim - I could barely put my face in the water it was so cold.  Because of the fog they turned it in to 4 loops where you had to run across the beach and re-enter.  That was the only time for our feet to warm up.  It was the craziest swim I've ever done!

2012-02-07 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

yeah you should practice in your wetsuit forsure, don't do long pool practices though b/c extended exposure to the chemicals will degrade your wetsuits materials, so if you can do OWS instead thats better.

From what I've heard, any anti wetsuit views you have should be conquored early, because overall its a helpful tool so its better to get used to it sooner rather then later because if you keep tri'ing it'll happen eventually.

2012-02-07 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Practice as much as you can in your wetsuit. Jaelin is right though, the chlorine in the water will start breaking down your wetsuit, just be sure to rinse it in fresh water as soon as you get home, and it should be alright. The rule of thumb as far as racing in a wetsuit is that it saves you about 10 sec/100 yards. In an Oly, that's almost 3 minutes. I wish I had brought mine at last year's HyVee because all week the race director had put out that it would NOT be a wesuit legal swim. So I didn't even bother bringing mine to the race. Well you guessed it, race morning he announces it would be wetsuit legal, so I was behind before the race even started. So the quick answer to your question is no you don't have to wear a wetsuit in a wesuit legal race, but the race director has the authority to call it a wetuit mandatory swim when the water is very figid, and/or choppy.

2012-02-07 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

Good luck with the HIM plans and training Roger, Marcia and Stuart.

I'm doing well thanks Jan, I hope you are feeling much better. I took yesterday off cause I was completely spent after the week I had. Just going for a light run and swim today and then taking Thursday and Friday off ready for the race on Saturday. I'm nervous but for the most part the anxiety has been taken over by the excitement. I know the run is going to hurt, LOL, but at least the weather forecast is for a cooler day which will help. The race is at 8am so at about 9am think of me slogging the run out around the lake. LOL!

I washed my Asics and put my brand new fluro green laces in yesterday, so all that's left to do now is buy my fluro green towel for transition so I can find my bike! :P

Incidentally I contacted the local Triathlon Club as I want to sign up to become a member this weekend also. It turns out they have two off road tris over the winter months, which incorporates a lake swim, mountain bike ride and cross country run. Looking forward to that, but I may have to join the wetsuit brigade too, cause our winters down south aren't as generous as Stuart's in sunny Queensland!

Hope everyone is having a great training week.

2012-02-07 7:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Lees Summit
I guess this week is going to be my recovery week. Had a solid hour on the bike, followed by a 20 minute run. Monday was sore, slept in and decided to take a day off. This morning, the Ipod was on the blink, so I spent all morning tring to fix it. So now, have to regroup....swim tomorrow morning followed by a spin class tomorrow night.
2012-02-07 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas

Stuart,

Congrats on the pulling the trigger and signing up for the HIM.  My first will be this June.  And I wish I had your winter.... Although this year has been great.  I too am will be getting a tri bike, but I will be putting it off till 2013.  2.5K seems like a good deal for a full carbon frame!

Training for me fell off last weekend.  My schedule has gone from busy to insane.  I am now a full time student, working full time, and am somehow trying to fit in training when I can.  Usually I barely manage, but this weekend with working Saturday and Sunday and the super bowl (a US thing...), it didn't happen.... 

I'm ready for a consistent and solid week ahead, though! I'm finally getting back in the pool and getting some laps in!  

Edited by m.a.burghart 2012-02-07 8:44 PM
2012-02-07 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4034834

User image

Master
TORONTO
kruzmeister - 2012-02-07 7:49 PM

Good luck with the HIM plans and training Roger, Marcia and Stuart.

I'm doing well thanks Jan, I hope you are feeling much better. I took yesterday off cause I was completely spent after the week I had. Just going for a light run and swim today and then taking Thursday and Friday off ready for the race on Saturday. I'm nervous but for the most part the anxiety has been taken over by the excitement. I know the run is going to hurt, LOL, but at least the weather forecast is for a cooler day which will help. The race is at 8am so at about 9am think of me slogging the run out around the lake. LOL!

I washed my Asics and put my brand new fluro green laces in yesterday, so all that's left to do now is buy my fluro green towel for transition so I can find my bike! :P

Incidentally I contacted the local Triathlon Club as I want to sign up to become a member this weekend also. It turns out they have two off road tris over the winter months, which incorporates a lake swim, mountain bike ride and cross country run. Looking forward to that, but I may have to join the wetsuit brigade too, cause our winters down south aren't as generous as Stuart's in sunny Queensland!

Hope everyone is having a great training week.

Cool new Asics campaign:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le8En3oKY_c&feature=youtu.be

2012-02-07 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4034992

User image

Master
TORONTO
m.a.burghart - 2012-02-07 9:44 PM

Training for me fell off last weekend.  My schedule has gone from busy to insane.  I am now a full time student, working full time, and am somehow trying to fit in training when I can.  Usually I barely manage, but this weekend with working Saturday and Sunday and the super bowl (a US thing...), it didn't happen.... 

I'm ready for a consistent and solid week ahead, though! I'm finally getting back in the pool and getting some laps in!  

We all have these periods - business woman, wife, mother, house engineer (like that one?), financier etc etc.  The good thing is you don't get buried by it all and you get back in the saddle, back in your runners and/or back in the pool.  I find it interesting how triathlon has changed my priorities.  I actually weigh my options "dinner with friends" or "swim as per the plan" and sometimes... the tri training wins! Finding the right balance is a challenge - overcoming it is something to be proud of!  Looking forward to seeing some great training in your logs this week!!

2012-02-08 8:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
out of the water for a few days cause of ear infection... time to put some major miles in the shoes. thinking about getting a trainer, but i use my bike sooo much for transportation, the idea of bringing my bike upstairs to my apartment and installing it seems even less convinient.
2012-02-08 6:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

i spoke with a guy today who runs low 14s 5k/ 29s 10k/ and 1:04-1:06 half marathons about the type of running he does, and I'm gonna use the same setup for a while and see how it goes, just slower and less volume. almost all his running is done at an easy pace. out of 13 runs a week only 1 is speed work and 1 is tempo (+20% race pace) 4 days a week are 8-10 mile runs for PM (still the morning runs) with 5-10 strides basically as fast as he can go.i already understand what people mean by teaching your body to run faster.

I did strides at the start of each mile after the first 2, so that I could see the pace on my garmin. First stride was like 5:50 pace by the 5th one, I was doing the 200M at about 4:20 pace.

2012-02-08 6:56 PM

Kenosha
Wow, is all I can say you all are doing awesome.  I've had a hard time getting on to comment on posts or the many great accomplishments the group is achieving.  Since my last post I've still been at the training but have come down with some sort of cold/flu something or other this week that has me sidlined for the past two days and holding.  Ugh.  I haven't been sick like this in years.  Start training and heading my body the right way and wammo.  Hope it clears fast.  To those that sent me the inspires please accept this as a blanket thanks and right back at you.  If you look at the training this group is putting in, it is absolutely amazing.  Many of you put in more training then my buddy who did his first Ironman last fall.  Wow!!!
2012-02-08 8:22 PM
in reply to: #4036788

User image

Master
TORONTO
jaelinfunk - 2012-02-08 7:19 PM

i spoke with a guy today who runs low 14s 5k/ 29s 10k/ and 1:04-1:06 half marathons about the type of running he does, and I'm gonna use the same setup for a while and see how it goes, just slower and less volume. almost all his running is done at an easy pace. out of 13 runs a week only 1 is speed work and 1 is tempo (+20% race pace) 4 days a week are 8-10 mile runs for PM (still the morning runs) with 5-10 strides basically as fast as he can go.i already understand what people mean by teaching your body to run faster.

I did strides at the start of each mile after the first 2, so that I could see the pace on my garmin. First stride was like 5:50 pace by the 5th one, I was doing the 200M at about 4:20 pace.

It's hard to know what the right approach is - it seems different with everyone.  My pace is faster this year over last which I suspect is just from an increase in volume.  November 2011 was my highest volume and in the fall I attempted to follow the Barry P plan where you take your weekly mileage and divide by 10.  So say I was running 20mpw then I would be left with 2 - this would be my shortest run.  My medium run would be 4miles and my long run would be 8miles.  So my weekly schedule would be 6 days of running like this 2-4-2-4-2-8-0  When this felt comfortable I would add a mile to the short runs.  When that felt good I would add a mile to the medium and long runs.  So in November I hit a monthly volume of 100 miles which was a record for me.  It felt good - my body didn't creak - it was a gradual increase for overall volume and my pace was almost the same for every run.   Then came December and it all went to hell in a handbag   This plan eventually incorporates a couple of speedwork workouts per month.  Perhaps it's the same plan?

With tri training and a job/life it's now harder to find the time to fit 6 days of running in and I've been reading up on the FIRST plan where you run less to run faster.  The concept is three runs per week - one tempo, one track and one long run.  My training buddy has been doing it and feels very strong and faster.  I'm still reading up on it and am thinking of putting together a plan to try it out.  It definitely works better with tri-training as you can do the other sports on your recovery days.  

But when I'm back to running for the fun of running - and no racing - I think I will go back to the other plan.  It's a great feeling to watch you hit new volume targets.

As for my training - week 1 of my HIM plan and I don't know what's wrong with me.  I'm incredibly tired and sleeping lots.  Also always chilled (though it was in the negatives today).  I'm just going with it and may take this week off and rest to start back strong next week.

Hope everyone is doing well!

2012-02-08 11:04 PM
in reply to: #4037003

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
kimmax - 2012-02-09 1:22 PM

It's hard to know what the right approach is - it seems different with everyone.  My pace is faster this year over last which I suspect is just from an increase in volume.  November 2011 was my highest volume and in the fall I attempted to follow the Barry P plan where you take your weekly mileage and divide by 10.  So say I was running 20mpw then I would be left with 2 - this would be my shortest run.  My medium run would be 4miles and my long run would be 8miles.  So my weekly schedule would be 6 days of running like this 2-4-2-4-2-8-0  When this felt comfortable I would add a mile to the short runs.  When that felt good I would add a mile to the medium and long runs.  So in November I hit a monthly volume of 100 miles which was a record for me.  It felt good - my body didn't creak - it was a gradual increase for overall volume and my pace was almost the same for every run.   Then came December and it all went to hell in a handbag   This plan eventually incorporates a couple of speedwork workouts per month.  Perhaps it's the same plan?

With tri training and a job/life it's now harder to find the time to fit 6 days of running in and I've been reading up on the FIRST plan where you run less to run faster.  The concept is three runs per week - one tempo, one track and one long run.  My training buddy has been doing it and feels very strong and faster.  I'm still reading up on it and am thinking of putting together a plan to try it out.  It definitely works better with tri-training as you can do the other sports on your recovery days.  

But when I'm back to running for the fun of running - and no racing - I think I will go back to the other plan.  It's a great feeling to watch you hit new volume targets.

As for my training - week 1 of my HIM plan and I don't know what's wrong with me.  I'm incredibly tired and sleeping lots.  Also always chilled (though it was in the negatives today).  I'm just going with it and may take this week off and rest to start back strong next week.

Hope everyone is doing well!

I wouldn't stress too much about the first week of HIM training not going to plan Marcia, it is only early days, better to have a couple of crappy weeks early on than during the peak of your training when it would probably stress you out more. Extra sleep is good anyway cause that's when the body regenerates. I'm sure you'll bounce back, looking at your training you are pretty strong and consistent anyway, not like you've just come off the couch.

I admire your earlier commitment to running, but there is no way my body would allow me to run 6 times a week, my knees and ankles are objecting just thinking about it! Especially having been punished over 30 years with martial arts training in bare feet on hard surfaces. Running is the one thing I am paranoid about when it comes to over training for that reason. Although saying that I really need to work on my run over winter, which is why I wanted to do the Melbourne marathon in Oct, for incentive to increase my base fitness for next years HIM. I think four runs a week will be my max (with a rest day between the longer runs) and then after the marathon I'll go back to just the three sessions with the rest of my tri training. At the moment I'm just trying to get comfortable running for longer periods of time, but once I get serious about training for HIM I'll look at splitting the workouts into technique, speed and endurance. I think before I do anything about speed or tempo, I need to have a good base fitness to work from which you guys obviously already have, but I don't, not yet anyway, but I'm getting there!

John, hope you feel better soon, nothing worse than a cold/flu that just keeps hanging on and haunting you for months. Glad to hear you are getting some training in though, it helps to keep life sane!

Hope everyone else is feeling fit and healthy and getting some good mileage in.

2012-02-09 4:13 AM

User image

Regular

Hi everybody!

Gosh, a lot of us are getting sick. Guess that happens but dang it, when it keeps you from working out, it is horrible. We all will get well and back to it but it does not keep us from feeling a little panicked about missing a workout. (or a week of workouts!).

And other things get in the way, school, work, a malfunctioning ipod! (right, Randy? I have had similar things happen-spend so much time trying to get ready to workout, miss the workout!)

Thanks everyone about the wetsuit advice. Guess I will start practicing in the pool with it so I can get over the panic about not being able to expand my lungs and feeling like I am choking with the suit around my neck. I wondered if there would ever be a mandatory wetsuit rule so glad to know that.

I really can't get my head around training certain ways so what is just happening is 2-3 times each sport per week. I am going to try to increase that to absolutely 3 times a week each sport and one rest day. I need to do more bricks and increase my run distance. I think I should work in a week or so of easy week-kind of rest week I guess. After this first tri I think I will read the Triathlete Bible and figure out a more technical-guess that's the word I want-way of working out.

Got my heart rate watch yesterday so will figure out how to use it and at least use that for more knowledge about my heart rate.

All the best to all of you!

Jan

2012-02-09 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Just got the triathletes training bible. and so far its pretty good its nice that the information is nearly all scientifically supported and referenced your not just listening to some guys claims of what works.

when i was on my cycling team we would increase the workload each week for 3 weeks by 10% then have like a 1/2 week, thats like your rest week idea. But it was focused on less intensity not less duration, maybe a little less time spent training but main focus is active recovery

2012-02-09 5:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Hey guys!  Man, it sounds like everyone has something going on and most of us maybe a little too much!  

Last months internet usage for the company we contract for went to the big-wigs.  It seemed between facebook and youtube the company lost over 1,000 man hours, yikes!  So, being contractors at this company we're really watching our step.  I'm sure many people just stayed logged in all day but that doesn't matter much.  So my Internet usage is almost limited to the house where I have two PC's shared between teenagers and a wife.

I read the tri bible right off the bat and finished several others that dig specifically into types of endurance training like Dr. Maffetone's The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing (thanks Roger).  There's no doubt that mixing intervals, speed, cardio endurance, muscle endurance, etc. makes a world of difference even to the weekend warrior that only has a few days a week to train.

Keep up the training and don't forget to rest, rest, rest.... 

2012-02-09 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

I am feeling so amped up for tomorrow I can hardly believe it is here. Thank you to everyone who has sent me inspires this week. I will let you know how it all goes. I have a feeling I am going to love every minute of it, even the painful ones!

Good luck to Stuart too, who is racing on Sunday!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24