BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2011-12-29 5:32 PM
in reply to: #3942748

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED

I too am jealous.  I lived in Steamboat CO from age 5 to age 12... Skied everyday after school.

Now I live in NYC ski a few times a year on crap snow (if you can even call it snow)

Ran 5 miles today.  Went out last night definitely felt it today.  Learned a valuable lesson.

2011-12-29 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3960212

User image

Maple Grove, MN
jenputnam - 2011-12-29 1:00 PM

Ernesto and Gang...

I am in need of serious nutritional advice.  The one area Scott is weakest as well so we need all the advice we can get.  For the most part I cook from scratch.  Scott and I eat completely different.  Scott's metabolism requires a high carb diet, where I have tried to remove all white carbs since the 2 week test.  I don't mind preparing different meals for he and the kids but need advice on a few things...  Mainly breakfast.  Scott eats eggs and toast almost every morning (I didn't switch him to whole grain English Muffins).  I've made spinach quiches in the past and kept hard boiled eggs for breakfast but unsure if that is enough to get me going through the am workouts.  

I was going to trying to post the nutritional info in my BT log but it looks like I need to have the paid version for the detailed recipes. 

What do you all eat?

Samy-  log onto mine and Scott's garmin links..  You will see what hills are? Laughing  Not to mention we live at 6871 ft.   That's about 800-900ft above Colorado Springs proper.  We are on the Air Force Academy, for the gate it is straight uphill to the house!

See this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmvfUKwBrg

Seriously. (That's Julia Child on how to make an omelet.) I love omelets. I have one nearly every morning. Sometimes with nothing in it. Usually with cheese or whatever meat is leftover from dinner the night before. But you have to do it Julia's way, which takes about 30 seconds. I use a regular pan (not non-stick), first PAM, then a good amount of butter (about a tablespoon). Don't be afraid of butter!
If it sticks, you aren't using enough butter. Mine never stick. It's quick, no-carb, and tasty. And my kids love them.
2011-12-29 7:00 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Chris is right, omelettes are great and easy to do. Read Maffettone and his idea about eggs "egglicious", a single cell, with the perfect balance of micro and macro nutrients. Cheese is zero carbs (if it's not that crap with hydrogenated oils they call cheese nowadays).
2011-12-29 7:41 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

After my last bike ride, my pelvic region was a little numb right after the ride. I know I need to get used to the bike and the saddle, but I also believe that since the rides here are flat, I stay on the saddle throughout the ride without the need to get off, which might contribute to the problem.

However, it was the first time that I had that problem. I had done 10 mile rides with no problem, and this happened on a short (7 mile) ride - but with significant higher cadence. So I guess that riding at higher cadence might also have an impact.

Should I get off the seat every so often? For how long? My cadence probably will suffer, but I guess the more comfort, the more enjoyable the ride, the more I will train.

2011-12-29 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3960972

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

ernestov - 2011-12-29 6:00 PM Chris is right, omelettes are great and easy to do. Read Maffettone and his idea about eggs "egglicious", a single cell, with the perfect balance of micro and macro nutrients. Cheese is zero carbs (if it's not that crap with hydrogenated oils they call cheese nowadays).

I'm on the right track then with that.  I've been making 2 egg omelets with peppers, cheese and tomatoes.  Scott loves his scrambled, don't think I can change that.  The spinach quiches are with eggs and spinach but I can freeze them and pop them in the microwave on busy mornings.  Also I've been making my own guacamole and eating it with warmed corn tortillas.  

Ernesto- I do use good cheese and eggs! 

2011-12-29 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3961025

User image

Master
Dallas
Samyg - 2011-12-29 7:41 PM

After my last bike ride, my pelvic region was a little numb right after the ride. I know I need to get used to the bike and the saddle, but I also believe that since the rides here are flat, I stay on the saddle throughout the ride without the need to get off, which might contribute to the problem.

However, it was the first time that I had that problem. I had done 10 mile rides with no problem, and this happened on a short (7 mile) ride - but with significant higher cadence. So I guess that riding at higher cadence might also have an impact.

Should I get off the seat every so often? For how long? My cadence probably will suffer, but I guess the more comfort, the more enjoyable the ride, the more I will train.

Did you get a professional fit or did you adjusted it yourself?

2011-12-29 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3961045

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Proffesional fit (Serotta/Retul), both before purchase (to determine brands that fit me) and after buying the bike. I am planning to go back the 1st/2nd week of January for a tune up so I will make sure that I mention it. Otherwise the ride is very comfortable.
2011-12-29 8:29 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Samy,

Retul is the best fit available. Make sure you mention it, usually the crank arms length is what causes hip pain (over rotation). What is somewhat puzzling is the fact that you are tall, and this is more of a problem with short legged people using 172.5 or 175mm., the other thing could be the saddle being too low.

2011-12-29 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3961030

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
jenputnam - 2011-12-29 8:45 PM

ernestov - 2011-12-29 6:00 PM Chris is right, omelettes are great and easy to do. Read Maffettone and his idea about eggs "egglicious", a single cell, with the perfect balance of micro and macro nutrients. Cheese is zero carbs (if it's not that crap with hydrogenated oils they call cheese nowadays).

I'm on the right track then with that.  I've been making 2 egg omelets with peppers, cheese and tomatoes.  Scott loves his scrambled, don't think I can change that.  The spinach quiches are with eggs and spinach but I can freeze them and pop them in the microwave on busy mornings.  Also I've been making my own guacamole and eating it with warmed corn tortillas.  

Ernesto- I do use good cheese and eggs! 

Eggs do not work for me. Have been a big fan of kefir - low carbs and even more good bacteria than yogurt. Mix it with almond milk, frozen blueberries, flaxseed oil and some chia seeds and you have a helluva smoothie - protein, antioxidants, fiber and omega 3s. Despite being a dairy based product, kefir has a low lactose content. Great recovery drink/meal.
2011-12-29 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3961079

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
ernestov - 2011-12-29 9:29 PM

Samy,

Retul is the best fit available. Make sure you mention it, usually the crank arms length is what causes hip pain (over rotation). What is somewhat puzzling is the fact that you are tall, and this is more of a problem with short legged people using 172.5 or 175mm., the other thing could be the saddle being too low.

Ernesto:

There is no pain. Just a numbness sensation "down there". I actually did not notice it until after getting off the bike. I am planning a 10 mi ride tomorrow (see if I can keep my cadence above 90 rpm for a longer ride) and see if it happens again. But I will sure mention it when I go to my LBS.

Can it be an ill-fitting saddle? Did not change the stock saddle (Selle San Marco), but want to give it some time before spending more money on a new saddle. 

Thanks for your fast response, gotta love the instantaneous feed-back

2011-12-29 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3961111

User image

Master
Dallas
Samyg - 2011-12-29 8:47 PM
ernestov - 2011-12-29 9:29 PM

Samy,

Ernesto:

There is no pain. Just a numbness sensation "down there". I actually did not notice it until after getting off the bike. I am planning a 10 mi ride tomorrow (see if I can keep my cadence above 90 rpm for a longer ride) and see if it happens again. But I will sure mention it when I go to my LBS.

Can it be an ill-fitting saddle? Did not change the stock saddle (Selle San Marco), but want to give it some time before spending more money on a new saddle. 

Thanks for your fast response, gotta love the instantaneous feed-back

San Marcos are long nosed, try ISM Adamo or even better the John Cobb Ultra flow, it will keep the numbness out of the equation. Plus, long nosed saddles are widely blamed for erectile disfunction. The trick is using the sitbones and not the soft tissue.

Sorry, on the first post I thought you meant hip pain.

2011-12-29 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3960815

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs
chapfallen - 2011-12-30 3:59 PM

Jen and Scott, I'm officially jealous that you guys get to go skiing.  I worked for a season in Colorado and really miss the snow.  I don't miss trying to run in it though...

Today I had planned a long run.  Unfortunately we went mattress shopping which took up the whole of the day.  I don't mind running in the dark if it's a short run but my preferred long runs go off road and aren't great in the dark.  So I did another bike session and will do my run tomorrow.  On the positive side we're getting our new mattress delivered tomorrow, which is hopefully going to do wonders for my back.

Went for a swim this evening.  The primary goal was to swim at least 1200m because that takes my total for the year over 100,000m.  I was planning to do more, but had gut problems and so did pretty much the minimum needed.  I've hit my target, so I'm really pleased with that.

On the subject of gut problems, does anyone have any tips for dealing with "GI distress"?  I've had a few problems this year on longer events, mostly I think through trying to eat during races.  However I'm pretty sure I can't make it through ironman without eating so I need to teach my stomach to behave.  Any tips?

Rachel,

What kind of things do you eat during the go?  A few years ago I started moving away from gooey things with simple and/or processed sugars in them because you "GI distress" issues.  In fact, I DNF'd at IMFL because of those issues.  A good precaution I always do now is to have some immodium with me in case the issues occur.  In fact, I usually take one before an IM race as a precaution.  The main thing I did was switch to Hammer products because they go out of their way to not use simeple or processed sugars.  Also, I try to eat some solid stuff on the bike such as mini-pretzels or Pro-Bars.  Perpetuem from Hammer on the bike has also been good on my stomach.  I'm sure Ernesto can elaborate on good stuff to eat while on the move too. 

2011-12-29 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3961137

User image

Master
Dallas
scottputnam - 2011-12-29 9:00 PM
chapfallen - 2011-12-30 3:59 PM

Jen and Scott, I'm officially jealous that you guys get to go skiing.  I worked for a season in Colorado and really miss the snow.  I don't miss trying to run in it though...

Today I had planned a long run.  Unfortunately we went mattress shopping which took up the whole of the day.  I don't mind running in the dark if it's a short run but my preferred long runs go off road and aren't great in the dark.  So I did another bike session and will do my run tomorrow.  On the positive side we're getting our new mattress delivered tomorrow, which is hopefully going to do wonders for my back.

Went for a swim this evening.  The primary goal was to swim at least 1200m because that takes my total for the year over 100,000m.  I was planning to do more, but had gut problems and so did pretty much the minimum needed.  I've hit my target, so I'm really pleased with that.

On the subject of gut problems, does anyone have any tips for dealing with "GI distress"?  I've had a few problems this year on longer events, mostly I think through trying to eat during races.  However I'm pretty sure I can't make it through ironman without eating so I need to teach my stomach to behave.  Any tips?

Rachel,

What kind of things do you eat during the go?  A few years ago I started moving away from gooey things with simple and/or processed sugars in them because you "GI distress" issues.  In fact, I DNF'd at IMFL because of those issues.  A good precaution I always do now is to have some immodium with me in case the issues occur.  In fact, I usually take one before an IM race as a precaution.  The main thing I did was switch to Hammer products because they go out of their way to not use simeple or processed sugars.  Also, I try to eat some solid stuff on the bike such as mini-pretzels or Pro-Bars.  Perpetuem from Hammer on the bike has also been good on my stomach.  I'm sure Ernesto can elaborate on good stuff to eat while on the move too. 

The bike in anything longer than olys should be considered a rolling buffet, get a good deal of calories early on during the bike from complex carbs like Perpetuem (I drank it during my two Ironman) and switch to easier to digest sugars like Ironman Perform or Gatorade about a third to go on the bike to let your stomach clear and digest. By the time you hit T2, your stomach should be a quarter full. After that start taking gels and drinks VERY slowly, or you will feel like throwing up. Take small sips and if you feel bloated STOP until it feels well.

Rachel, nobody can finish an Ironman or even a half without eating. Guaranteed, the body simply doesn't hold that much glycogen stores, if you don't eat a bonk is inevitable (been there, done that). You need to learn how to eat while working out, training is the time to do it.

2011-12-29 9:43 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Speaking of saddles, Chris, how do you like your ISM Adamo?  Did you get the ride or race one?  I have the race and I really like it.

On healthy food, I love eggs.  I have scrambled eggs, fried eggs, omelettes, eggs with ricotta cheese, all kinds of veggies in them, hard-boiled for snacks.  Also, ricotta cheese with honey and nuts tastes like dessert.  I do homemade soups now for the winter and salads.  Sometimes I put tuna, salmon, or chicken in my salad.  I switched to black coffee, just one cup a day.

OK you people up north are making me feel like a wimp.  Running in the snow and cold.  Go get em!

BTW, I am officially registered for the 3M Half.  It's capped at 6000 and there are only about 700 spots left. 

Edited by jdiis 2011-12-29 9:45 PM
2011-12-29 10:50 PM

User image

Expert
<p>OK there are too many threads to address and I am writing from my phone, so I hope I can be clear.</p><p>Ernesto- I did the sufferfest fight club today. I only did 45 minutes of it. I had to work and travel to my in-law's today, so time was short. I will do the whole thing on Monday. It lives up to it name. My legs were fried. Thanks for the suggestion.<br /><br />Eggs are the perfect food. High in protein versatile. They taste great. Since most of my workouts are during my lunch. My standards are cliffbar 1 hour before, then after some type of lunchmeat wrapped around cheese (real cheese sharp 12 year old pinconning). Later some type of fruit whatever is in season, in the winter usually a banana. I love guacamole on everything. The avocado is the vegetable answer to the egg._<br /><br />I used to have some serious saddle issues. Fit was fine, but my bottom was in serious pain and I was going more than a 5 year old. I spoke to a friend who is a urologist.and he rides. He fdirected me to a gender specific narrow saddle. It solved both problems.<br /><br />I'm at my inlaws so I hope to run a lot. In the cold and snow. At home I love winter running. There are no cars, no tourists, no hunters, just me and the wildlife. It may be a slower run, but it is more peaceful<br />Jim</p>

Edited by JBacarella 2011-12-30 12:06 PM
2011-12-30 12:11 AM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Jackie,

I got the ISM Adamo Road. I like it a lot. I get pains on my sit bones, but not the numbness. It seems to do the job. I do make sure I move around a bit though.

On another note, I am officially now in week 1 (of 20) of marathon training. I bought the $30 plan from Luke Humphrey who is the online coach for the Hanson Running Team (and a 2:15 marathoner who will be at the Olympic trials). I chose the plan for people who want to run 3:30. It has one running a ridiculous amount of miles per week (between 60 and 80), but it has lots of detail. We will see if I can keep up. I am used to running six days a week, so the main difference between this and the plan I did this summer was that each run is longer. Most of the miles are easy miles. I am planning on still using the trainer at least two times a week. Swimming will have to wait. My HIM isn't until July and I can do a lot of swimming after the marathon. I can also do a lot of open water swimming then. I live on a lake and met a couple at my bike class who are both very good triathletes (both have won local races) and live only about 10 houses away, also on the lake, but on a different street. We have talked about doing open water swims together when the ice goes away (last year it was April 11).

Finally, went over 1200 miles running for the year today (I won't make 2000 K for the year) all without buying a new pair of VFF's this calendar year. Until today. Just got delivered a pair of VFF Trek LS shoes. Lace up kangaroo leather. The idea is they will be warmer whenever it gets around to getting cold up here.

2011-12-30 6:59 AM
in reply to: #3961355

User image

Veteran
clayton
Hi All! - Finally got my bike out yesterday and setup the cadence meter. I am still new to cycling hence what may be a silly question to some - while ridiig the bike what does the 'power' *feel* like in real terms (Hmm, does that make sense?)?

So while on a flat in a small ring spinning at 90 rpm I feel like I am making little progress for amount of effort used which quickly becomes tiring, However if I ride the same road in the big ring I am making more progress for effort but again it soon becomes tiring. Now if I ride again using the middle ring (OK I am a MTBer!) I feel a balance of input effort verses out put.

Is this what the power is all about - trying to find the correct gear that allows a balance of input and output?

thanks in advance for all the sarcastic comments :-)

Mark.
2011-12-30 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Has anybody tried chia seed for nutrition during races?
2011-12-30 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3961493

User image

Master
Dallas

markhodges1973 - 2011-12-30 6:59 AM Hi All! - Finally got my bike out yesterday and setup the cadence meter. I am still new to cycling hence what may be a silly question to some - while ridiig the bike what does the 'power' *feel* like in real terms (Hmm, does that make sense?)? So while on a flat in a small ring spinning at 90 rpm I feel like I am making little progress for amount of effort used which quickly becomes tiring, However if I ride the same road in the big ring I am making more progress for effort but again it soon becomes tiring. Now if I ride again using the middle ring (OK I am a MTBer!) I feel a balance of input effort verses out put. Is this what the power is all about - trying to find the correct gear that allows a balance of input and output? thanks in advance for all the sarcastic comments :-) Mark.
No such thing as a silly question Mark. You have to find gears that allow for you to go long but trying to keep a higher than usual cadence (this can be built over a period of time). At the beginning of anybody's endurance career the majority of the people pushes for fast instead of long, I would rather walk for an hour at a brisk pace than run for twenty minutes until exhaustion, and you get more benefits from it.

Fast comes with time, for now, worry about trying to stay on your bike/feet/water for as long as possible regardless of speed. Watch your form too in all three sports, when running do it "proud", when cycling relax your upper body and keep your legs as close to the frame as possible and when swimming it is ALL about form.

Do the January challenge, do it slowly and commit yourself to doing a (at least) thirty minutes workout, easy effort, every day for the entire month. You'll love the results.

2011-12-30 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3961586

User image

Master
Dallas

GAUG3 - 2011-12-30 7:55 AM Has anybody tried chia seed for nutrition during races?

I tried it after reading born to run (during training only) and was not impressed at all. The little seeds are a bit annoying getting between teeth and it made me feel uncomfortable. I'll stick with the gels!

2011-12-30 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Dallas

I have a question: I cannot keep my legs from getting bigger and bigger. I'm starting to have a cyclist's body with the small weak upper body and tree trunk legs. The issue comes when I'm running, if I trend my speed gains for the three sports, my running speed is pretty much stagnant for the last two years and it has ALL to do with weight.

In November '08 my average weight for the month was 165.50lbs and this month my average is 182.5, that is a whooping 17 pounds that went all to my legs, because my upper body doesn't have any less/more than back then.

Should I just start dieting and lose the weight (I recognize that I did gain some fat too), or just suck it up and keep getting bigger?

My diet has a lot of protein (before you ask) that comes from lean sources. I hardly ever eat beef, I'm more on the side of chicken and fish. I only eat complex carbs and the non-heme type (vegetables). No rice, potatoes or bread. Ocasionally I eat pasta and pizza, it's my Italian side (hehe).

2011-12-30 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
About the Chia seeds. I started taking them daily. A friend of mine is an Ultra Runner and swears by them. Our training is different but I mix them into a gel and take 1 tablespoon 3 times a day. What can it hurt right! I just started so no difference to report yet. I can give you the ratio if anyone is interested. <br>Today Scott and I are heading to Echo Mountain. Scott will have his ski time while the kids and I get lessons, then after lunch we can all ski and our son will snowboard. Hoping to have pics to post on FB
2011-12-30 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3961611

User image

Expert
ernestov - 2011-12-30 9:13 AM

I have a question: I cannot keep my legs from getting bigger and bigger. I'm starting to have a cyclist's body with the small weak upper body and tree trunk legs. The issue comes when I'm running, if I trend my speed gains for the three sports, my running speed is pretty much stagnant for the last two years and it has ALL to do with weight.

In November '08 my average weight for the month was 165.50lbs and this month my average is 182.5, that is a whooping 17 pounds that went all to my legs, because my upper body doesn't have any less/more than back then.

Should I just start dieting and lose the weight (I recognize that I did gain some fat too), or just suck it up and keep getting bigger?

My diet has a lot of protein (before you ask) that comes from lean sources. I hardly ever eat beef, I'm more on the side of chicken and fish. I only eat complex carbs and the non-heme type (vegetables). No rice, potatoes or bread. Ocasionally I eat pasta and pizza, it's my Italian side (hehe).

Bigger isn't better on the run so I can't say that getting bigger makes a lot of sense. I have the opposite problem in that I have a hard time holding on to weight during the season. I am lifting now to build more mass heading into the season and have seen a nutritionist to help with the weight loss.Have you tried making other tweaks in your diet? Less animal protein might help. A nutritionist may also be a good resource.
2011-12-30 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3961586

User image

Expert
GAUG3 - 2011-12-30 8:55 AMHas anybody tried chia seed for nutrition during races?
I use them as dietary supplement, but would never race with them due to GI issues. The left over seeds can be hard to fully digest even under optimal conditions.
2011-12-30 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran

In terms of fueling during runs or cycling where should I start?  Any recomendations on gels or supplements? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 122