BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2012-07-23 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4123663

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE
My second tri yesterday morning went really well. I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. It was super early with a 6:45 start, so at least now the 8 a.m. races won't seem that bad, right?! I am still really slow in transition but I did shave about 40 seconds total off my times there from last race. I have one more planned for the year in 2 weeks, a lake swim finally. I guess this will be my "A" race, so time to kick it up a notch! 

2012-07-23 1:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

I thought about my prior post on the Garmin and I didn't mean that to sound like I don't like it. I'm still a bit upset that it just shut down on mile 14 of a marathon but that also helped me realize that I was relying on it too much. I learned from that experience and still use it for my runs. If I had time to be doing any biking in the 102 degree weather I'd be using it for that as well.

I went back and looked at sale ad from Runner's Roost for the Motorola Actv and the link for it is:

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/8GB-or-16GB-MOTOACTV/79070,en_US,pd.html

The sale for the 8 GB is $149 and the 16 GB is $199. I know nothing about it other than what I saw at the Expo and the website.

I think the Garmin 110 with the heart rate strap is running around $199 now. The 210 was $249 at REI when I got mine for my wife.  Both came with heart rate straps.  I've had mine for a little over a year and except for the Seattle incident, haven't had any real problems with it that weren't user created. It does what I want it to do which is heart rate and pace and uploads easily enough that I could figure it out and review the data.

2012-07-23 3:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

Well its been a while since I've updated where things are at with my training. In short, the training is as close to non-existent as it can be. I think its safe to say that 2012 will not be the year of the triathlon for me.

Things aren't looking up in the near future either. My wife and I bought a house for our daughter, which was a bank repo that needed "a little work."  That was an understatement. We've spent most of our free time fixing that house and are almost done. While our "remodel" was in progress, we had the chance to buy a house for us that was one of those deals you couldn't pass up. So on top of it all, we are in the process of moving during the middle of the "hottest summer on record" in Nebraska.

The bright side is that our new house has 2 garages. I have already laid claim to one as my "workout room." The treadmill, bike trainers, weight machine and punching bag will be set up along with a fridge for water/sports drinks. It helped that I offered to keep all my gear and workout clothes in there so that they don't stink up the rest of the house. I know I'll miss waking up every morning seeing my tri bike in the bedroom corner but my wife won't.

I also had a long heart to heart talk with my wife about next year, and I got the go ahead to register for any race I want to. I got that consent after full disclosure of entry fees and costs associated with travel, etc. I suggested getting it in writing from her but she wasn't willing to go that far. That will probably come back to bite me. She did understand that most of this year was spent doing things that cut into my training time and all of our purchases except for our road bikes had nothing to do with triathlons, biking, etc. I translated that into her saying it was okay for me to get new race wheels. Again, I could be wrong.

I hope everyone is getting in some great training and having fun at their races. As long as Matt doesn't kick me out of the group for slacking, I'll have more race reports to contribute to next year, as well as some serious training logs. That's the plan anyway.

Steve

2012-07-24 9:58 PM
in reply to: #4326349

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
stevesflyshop - 2012-07-23 2:28 PM

Well its been a while since I've updated where things are at with my training. In short, the training is as close to non-existent as it can be. I think its safe to say that 2012 will not be the year of the triathlon for me.

Things aren't looking up in the near future either. My wife and I bought a house for our daughter, which was a bank repo that needed "a little work."  That was an understatement. We've spent most of our free time fixing that house and are almost done. While our "remodel" was in progress, we had the chance to buy a house for us that was one of those deals you couldn't pass up. So on top of it all, we are in the process of moving during the middle of the "hottest summer on record" in Nebraska.

The bright side is that our new house has 2 garages. I have already laid claim to one as my "workout room." The treadmill, bike trainers, weight machine and punching bag will be set up along with a fridge for water/sports drinks. It helped that I offered to keep all my gear and workout clothes in there so that they don't stink up the rest of the house. I know I'll miss waking up every morning seeing my tri bike in the bedroom corner but my wife won't.

I also had a long heart to heart talk with my wife about next year, and I got the go ahead to register for any race I want to. I got that consent after full disclosure of entry fees and costs associated with travel, etc. I suggested getting it in writing from her but she wasn't willing to go that far. That will probably come back to bite me. She did understand that most of this year was spent doing things that cut into my training time and all of our purchases except for our road bikes had nothing to do with triathlons, biking, etc. I translated that into her saying it was okay for me to get new race wheels. Again, I could be wrong.

I hope everyone is getting in some great training and having fun at their races. As long as Matt doesn't kick me out of the group for slacking, I'll have more race reports to contribute to next year, as well as some serious training logs. That's the plan anyway.

Steve

Steve, you wouldn't know it wasn't your year from all your optimistic (and hilarious) posts.  Sounds like things are good in life, when that happens it makes tri-ing a lot easier.  Keep with us, we're going to have a great 2013.

2012-07-24 10:01 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Well, I got "suckered" into participating in one extra race this year.  I'm going to be swimming in a relay at the Naperville Sprint Tri in 2 weeks  If you guys don't know Whizzzzz from BT, I'm swimming for her personal trainer. I guess he's a beast on the bike and run but doesn't like to swim.  Maybe we'll win the relay category
2012-07-25 5:07 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
If anyone wants to run a Rock N' Roll event before the end of the year, you can use the discount code "CHI12ROCKSTAR" to get $10 off.  I don't believe it works for Vegas, which sucks because that's the one I'm doing!

2012-07-31 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
2012-08-01 9:02 AM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Ha, that was great!
2012-08-01 7:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the posts about the GPS watches!  It was very useful information and I'll be shopping around.  I hope training is going well for everyone!     : )

Don't be a slacker!

2012-08-05 8:47 AM

User image

New user
Seattle
Subject: Not slacking!

Hi all,

14 days to the Danskin!  I finally did a swim session of 2000 yds, twice!  I think I was inspired by all the Olympic swimming I've been watching.  I'm still not sure if I am a glider or a swinger style but I keep trying to swim smoothly and I know I am better.  Monday and Tuesday are my last chances to swim in open water before the event and the weather is great for that just now in Seattle.

Running is coming along.  I made it to 4.8 miles and today my goal is to try to round it up to 5 miles before it gets too warm.

Cycling - must practice changing my tire today!!!  I don't want to DNF because I only kind of remember how to change a flat.

One more week of hitting it and then the blessed taper!

Have fun all!

2012-08-05 5:30 PM
in reply to: #4347560

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: Not slacking!
melindacumming - 2012-08-05 7:47 AM

Hi all,

14 days to the Danskin!  I finally did a swim session of 2000 yds, twice!  I think I was inspired by all the Olympic swimming I've been watching.  I'm still not sure if I am a glider or a swinger style but I keep trying to swim smoothly and I know I am better.  Monday and Tuesday are my last chances to swim in open water before the event and the weather is great for that just now in Seattle.

Running is coming along.  I made it to 4.8 miles and today my goal is to try to round it up to 5 miles before it gets too warm.

Cycling - must practice changing my tire today!!!  I don't want to DNF because I only kind of remember how to change a flat.

One more week of hitting it and then the blessed taper!

Have fun all!

Melinda,

Great news in terms of everything!  I'd say you are well on your way to becoming an official "Triathlete"!!!!  Keep us updated, and let us know what you decide on the GPS.

2012-08-05 8:32 PM

User image

Round Rock

Melinda - great job of training. Excited for you.

I have been on vacation with my family for the last 11 days, only 3 to go. This has wrecked my training for a tri in mid-September. Looks like I will opt to start training for a half-marathon in February (that my wife has almost committed to doing with me ) and will work on my swim for the next several months. I am going to get a decent technique down yet!

Thanks for all of your encouragement Matt et al!

Bryan

2012-08-06 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4347560

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Subject: RE: Not slacking!

Best of luck in the race! Sounds like a fun one. Did you watch the women's triathlon competition in the Olympics? Pretty intense! I can't wait to watch the men's race tomorrow. I think I would die LOL

Good luck with the running too and changing the tire. I hate changing tires! Still can't pry the tube off the wheel on my own, not easy!

2012-08-07 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
So after feeling emboldened by my podium finish on Sunday, I decided to go ahead and register for the Las Vegas Rock N' Roll Marathon in December.  Insane?  Perhaps.  I figure it'll keep me in shape through the holidays  If I can find one more race to enter in January I can be a Marathon Maniac.  Not that I have ever aspired to be, but heck, for street cred why not?
2012-08-08 7:02 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Hey All,

If any of you or your spouses are looking to join a Fantasy Football League, we've got one on BT here.  We're starting a second league due to popularity and we're short 2 teams for a 12-team format.  I believe the entry is $50.  Let me know if anyone wants in, we're going to draft last week in August.

2012-08-12 11:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
In case anyone is interested the Rock and Roll marathon group is offering a discount today only for any marathon. The discount is $20.12 and is good until midnight pacific time. The code is: LONDON2012I signed up for Denver!

2012-08-12 3:54 PM
in reply to: #4359349

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

stevesflyshop - 2012-08-12 10:58 AM In case anyone is interested the Rock and Roll marathon group is offering a discount today only for any marathon. The discount is $20.12 and is good until midnight pacific time. The code is: LONDON2012I signed up for Denver!

Steve, I used that same Promo code last week to get 20.12 off Vegas.  Have fun in Denver- that is a really great race!

2012-08-12 7:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
I like the Rock and Roll events. They are usually pretty well run/supported and a good time. Last year I did my first marathon at the Rock and Roll Denver. There's something special about the first one. Hopefully this year kills the time from last year, especially since I have a little better idea of what I'm getting in to.
2012-08-12 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4359771

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Totally agree, Steve.  I did the RnR Chicago half last month, and I was amazed at how well-organized it was.  I usually loathe big corporate races, but they did such a good job registering for Vegas was a total no-brainer.  I think the Vegas course will be a lot less crowded than the Chicago Marathon course- 45,000 or so registered runners in Chicago??  I don't know what the cap for Vegas is, but I really doubt they'd be able to accommodate 45K in Vegas.  I think they get about 20K for Denver if I am not mistaken.
2012-08-12 8:03 PM

I just cant imagine running a marathon.  Today's long run for me was 6 miles, it was hard, I had to force myself to run and not walk.  I got to about 5.5 miles, and I was thinking "well, I can go another half mile, but how in the world am I ever going to get to 13.1?"  I know as I keep training and sticking to my plan, it will happen.  

Oh, and I really RAN the last .2m of the run, after I stepped on the baby snake all coiled up in the middle of the concrete.

2012-08-12 8:08 PM
in reply to: #4359783

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
newbie99 - 2012-08-12 7:03 PM

I just cant imagine running a marathon.  Today's long run for me was 6 miles, it was hard, I had to force myself to run and not walk.  I got to about 5.5 miles, and I was thinking "well, I can go another half mile, but how in the world am I ever going to get to 13.1?"  I know as I keep training and sticking to my plan, it will happen.  

Oh, and I really RAN the last .2m of the run, after I stepped on the baby snake all coiled up in the middle of the concrete.

We'll just put you into a bed of cobra's- I bet you could set a world record on that course LOL

Stick to it.  Trust me, when I started out my running was pathetic.  I mean that in the truest sense of the world pathetic.  I won't even tell you what my 5K times were.  Suffice to say a little bit of training, learning what works, and still managing to  have fun.  Stick to it.  You'll make it!

2012-08-13 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

I know exactly what you are going through and believe me it does get better. I started running last February, and I still remember the feeling of joy that I got when I made my first 2 mile run without having to stop. I had never ran a race before and signed up for the Papillion 10k in May. I had a great time and was hooked.

The thing that I learned the most was to listen to my body. I tend to go "all in" on most of my hobbies but I did finally figure out that if my ankle was sore, it was ok to take an extra day off. I also missed runs because of work or family, but I really tried NOT to miss out on the long run. I ran a few 5k races last summer and then did the Denver Rock and Roll Marathon last fall as my first marathon. I am definitely hooked on the longer distance. I also like the look on my friends/families face when they ask how far I went on my run and I tell them "It was an easy day - I only did 9 miles."

2012-08-13 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
April, what about building for 2 weeks, then dropping back a week?  Like, this weekend you did 6.  Next weekend do 7, then the following weekend drop down to 4.  Pick up the following week with 8, then 9, then drop to 5.  Make sense?
2012-08-14 1:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

I see that you referred to "my plan" and I didn't know if you were following a set training plan or just working up the mileage yourself. If you don't have a training plan, there are tons out there and a lot of free options. If you have a smartphone, Runners World has a really cool training app. Its called Smart Coach. You basically enter your info, your most recent race time for whatever distance you raced (or best training run, etc.), your goal race distance, how many miles you run weekly and your starting week. I counted back from my marathon to the day I started and entered that which was less than the 16 week maximum.

I am currently using the app for my 2 fall marathons, with my second one being my goal race. The Rock and Roll Denver fell in on one of the weeks that I have a 20 mile long run, so I'm counting it as my training run that week. I'm also doing a mild taper just before the race and the plan worked out that my next week is a recovery week. Its also free.

Just a thought I had when I checked it to see my mileage for today.

Steve

2012-08-14 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

It looks like the powers that be here on BT aren't going to be archiving us until December  You'll all be able to listen to me complain about the trials and tribulations of training for 2 marathons! 

Besides Steve and April, is anyone else planning on a fall running race?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  

of 25