BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2012-05-09 6:03 PM
in reply to: #4199763

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel"-OPEN
Lesandtj - 2012-05-09 10:58 AM

Life. Sometimes you just have to smile, (and/or cuss under your breath.)

My new friends. I am shaking my head and laughing at myself this morning. In times past I would have handled this a little differently. Thanks to God's grace and a good dose of his perspective on things I can just laugh.  (You can too.)

So yesterday was circled on the calendar. It was the 20 week OB appointment and the big ultrasound. I left work a little early, grabbed the boys from school and met my wife at the doctor's office. Everything is well. It was so much fun watching the boys look at the baby on the screen. Good times. Left the doctor and headed to the bike shop. Since I think my running may be limited for a bit due to foot issues I justified the purchase of puncture resistant tires. (By the way, I am a cheapskate. So new tires are a splurge. That is another problem that triathlon is helping to solve.) ..... Back to the story. I got home and proceeded, somewhat giddily, to install the tires. This is my first set of new tires. Stiff, difficult to install, new tires. The giddiness wore off quickly. With sore thumbs and mumbled cussing on my lips I resorted to tire levers for help. The package clearly says NOT to use levers but I gave in anyway. Hissssss..... Oops. Popped a brand new tube. Took a deep breath. Calmed my inner cheapskate and grabbed another new tube. I proceeded to destroy that one also. Awesome. In times past I might have thrown the tire across the yard. But the healthier me decided to put down the wheels and go help my wife weed the garden. Now i'm feeling more relaxed and a little proud of my handling of the situation. Mind you i'm hobbling around with a sore foot, but nothing is gonna get me down right? Well a good attitude didn't prevent me from catching my toe on a landscaping brick and ripping off a large chunk of toe. Double awesome. And yes it was the same foot.  I have a podiatrist appointment tomorrow. He's gonna think I stuck my foot under a lawnmower.

Like I said, sometimes you just have to smile.  Laughing

I don't usually advocate laying on the couch, but in your case I think you should find a quiet dark place and stay still for the rest of the day. Let that black cloud go away. Wink

2012-05-09 6:09 PM
in reply to: #4195301

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

nephie11 - 2012-05-07 1:27 PM Hi I'd love to join this group

Hey Nephie11...

Where aaaaaaaarrrrrrreeeee you?

2012-05-09 6:20 PM
in reply to: #4194758

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
mjh1975 - 2012-05-07 10:01 AM
oriolepwr - 2012-05-07 9:47 AM
mjh1975 - 2012-05-07 9:13 AM

Good morning everyone!  Well, the first Half Marathon is behind me, but I am through it. It was an awesome day weather wise at mid-60's slight breeze and sun.  Had a PR at 2:03!  Not much else I guess to report outside of some sore knees today. 

I hope that everyone is doing well.

Congrats Matt!  do they still have that silly little run around a circle thing as part of  the course?      I pretty much liekd the course  straight out and back basically.

SO what's your next event?

Thanks Dave!  They do still have the turn around in the parking lot at Rte 83 and Archer which was a bit odd as it is somewhat a tight spot, but a fun race overall. 

Next for me is Batavia Tri in June.  Still searching for an event in July though.

Congrats on a solid freshman effort at the HM...I'm impressed!

DH and I will be at Batavia. It has the silliest swim of any tri I've done (and several have silly swims). The bike course is a classic illinois/wisconsin "etch a sketch" course with very few, modest hills. I.E. HAMMER. The run is slightly long so with the short swim and the long run, this tri FAVORS runners over swimmers and bikers. It is also a really pretty run along the Fox river, I LOVE it.

I'm doing the DU (my first, so prepare for record setting heat) so come over to the DU bike rack and look for the hawt green bike. I'll let you know what my bib number is after packet pickup and make sure you have my cell # so we can meetup afterwards. It is one of the nicest after parties of any tri I've ever done.

Just FYI, you can't park at the quarry. I always just park over by the McDonald's and ride my bike over to transition. Be prepared to squeeze in. Your bib number is by your expected start time, which is based on your expected swim time...but you can get in the water any time you like...it's time trial start.

If you have any more race specific questions, be sure to let me know.

Q

2012-05-09 9:07 PM
in reply to: #4197872

User image

Master
St. Louis
Ybeal - 2012-05-08 1:46 PM

Look mini-triathletes!!!

My spawn the younger one placed 14 of 74 and improved her time by over 4 minutes from last year! My older one placed 27 of 74.  Over 500 kids participated, so much fun!!

Awesome!

2012-05-09 9:16 PM
in reply to: #4198805

User image

Master
St. Louis
oriolepwr - 2012-05-08 9:34 PM 

It's funny we are all like that are we not?   so scared something is going to take all of this away from us. 

I can relate.  A dew weeks before my first half iron, I had a routine physical which showed it changed from my baseline and could be an enlarged heart.  Scheduled an echo cardiogram to make sure. After the appointment, my wife asked what the doc said about doing a half ironman in a few weeks.  I said she didn't say not to do it, because I didn't ask her :-).  My wife was not amused....  Oh, echo showed everything is fine.  

2012-05-09 9:40 PM
in reply to: #4200838

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-05-09 6:03 PM
Lesandtj - 2012-05-09 10:58 AM

Life. Sometimes you just have to smile, (and/or cuss under your breath.)

My new friends. I am shaking my head and laughing at myself this morning. In times past I would have handled this a little differently. Thanks to God's grace and a good dose of his perspective on things I can just laugh.  (You can too.)

So yesterday was circled on the calendar. It was the 20 week OB appointment and the big ultrasound. I left work a little early, grabbed the boys from school and met my wife at the doctor's office. Everything is well. It was so much fun watching the boys look at the baby on the screen. Good times. Left the doctor and headed to the bike shop. Since I think my running may be limited for a bit due to foot issues I justified the purchase of puncture resistant tires. (By the way, I am a cheapskate. So new tires are a splurge. That is another problem that triathlon is helping to solve.) ..... Back to the story. I got home and proceeded, somewhat giddily, to install the tires. This is my first set of new tires. Stiff, difficult to install, new tires. The giddiness wore off quickly. With sore thumbs and mumbled cussing on my lips I resorted to tire levers for help. The package clearly says NOT to use levers but I gave in anyway. Hissssss..... Oops. Popped a brand new tube. Took a deep breath. Calmed my inner cheapskate and grabbed another new tube. I proceeded to destroy that one also. Awesome. In times past I might have thrown the tire across the yard. But the healthier me decided to put down the wheels and go help my wife weed the garden. Now i'm feeling more relaxed and a little proud of my handling of the situation. Mind you i'm hobbling around with a sore foot, but nothing is gonna get me down right? Well a good attitude didn't prevent me from catching my toe on a landscaping brick and ripping off a large chunk of toe. Double awesome. And yes it was the same foot.  I have a podiatrist appointment tomorrow. He's gonna think I stuck my foot under a lawnmower.

Like I said, sometimes you just have to smile.  Laughing

I don't usually advocate laying on the couch, but in your case I think you should find a quiet dark place and stay still for the rest of the day. Let that black cloud go away. Wink

X2!   Hope things go well at your appointment tomorrow.

2012-05-10 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4128570

User image

Veteran

Today's question!

Now that I have about 80+ miles on my new/old running shoes, and Road Runner Sports is having a sale; should I get a second pair and/or different than my current pair?  Does price, ie higher, mean a better shoe?

Tom

2012-05-10 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4201769

User image

TLakatos1259 - 2012-05-10 8:18 AM

Today's question!

Now that I have about 80+ miles on my new/old running shoes, and Road Runner Sports is having a sale; should I get a second pair and/or different than my current pair?  Does price, ie higher, mean a better shoe?

Tom

Road Runner sports is always having a sale. So do not feel like you have to get another pair.   

On the other hand,  if you want to go right ahead!   If you love the shoes you are in, then by all means get a second pair of the same model.    

Price does not mean a better shoe.    It means that shoe has been advertised heavy,  has  a lot of material used.    So not always better.     Here is an example. 

I run mostly in Asics Kayano   an expensive shoe.   one that features a ton of cushioning for my fragile feet.    typically I can through discounts, closeouts or whatever I can get them for around $100     Now my beloved  Asics speed-stars   which are way more flexible, and much lighter, I could buy them at $75      to me the speed-star is the better shoe, though I cannot wear it for daily training cause it places too much shock absorption  on my feet/legs.    There is less stability/cushioning/advertising  built into that shoe.      

Just remember in the long run,  shoes are cheap no matter which one you buy.    cheap meaning  if they keep you on the road running in them and way from the doctor,  they are really cheap items.  So get what you want and feel great in. 

Whoops  just realized I'm posting this under Bones the dog account.    <woof>  Tongue out

can you give me a cookie?  just wondering....

Maybe Mr. Bones should join this Magical band, as its mascot!

2012-05-10 9:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Missoula

My current pair are Asics Kensei ($180+)Surprised  and I'm headed to a foot doctor today. So...........

By the way I paid MUCH less than retail. $180.00 is crazy expensive! Pay whatever you have to for the correct shoe for you. Whether it's 80.00 or 180.00. "You get what you pay for." applies to almost everything, but for running shoes you need to get what you need.  

2012-05-10 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hahaha, Dave loves Tri so much his dog is on BT. Hah! Yes, you guys have nailed the shoe thing...shoes will always come on sale, more expensive is not necessarily better, and you need what you need. 
2012-05-10 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran

2012-05-10 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran

Are you sure Mr. Bones isn't Krypto (superdog) in disguise?

2012-05-10 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

There's so  much going on in this group I'm having a hard time keeping up!! I've been so busy the past week with my kids, moving, trying to find a house, blah blah blah....I just haven't been keeping up on my training. My family feels it, too!! When I don't work out I tend to get 'cranky'. That's what I call it...they probably have a different term for it.

Dave: I just love Bones...and that is pretty awesome that he has his own account. I think he already has more posts than me.

Shelly: Thank you for the OWS input. We found a rental house in Ocean Springs...of course, last minute. But that's just how we do things around here!

Jacki: We will defeat that panic..I have no doubt. Great job on your HM. That's really good, especially considering it wasn't a real race atmosphere. It's always easier for me to run when I'm racing other people.

TJ: I really hope your day is going better. Maybe you'll get some good news at your appointment today!!

Yvonne: Beautiful pictures. I don't think you're obnoxious mom at all. Because that would make me obnoxious mom, too (pics to come) and clearly that's not meWink

Quincy: Thank you for helping with the anxiety/panic issues. I know you've never been through it, but it really does help to get everyone's perspectives.

Tom: Keep up the good work with your training! As far as the shoe issue...I always like to have at least two pairs that I alternate, and price has nothing to do with quality of shoe. It just depends what shoe you need! I usually have about 4-6 pairs of running shoes that I cycle through at any given time(but I'm a pathological runner!)

Matt: I hope you're recovered from your half...I'm sure you're already planning your next race!! Good job again on your first half!

Mike: I don't know what's going on with you, but keep it up!!

I'm sure I forgot some people, and maybe mixed up stories along the line, but I hope that everyone has a great day today!!

2012-05-10 2:09 PM

Hi!

I'm Eva. New to the group. 

I'm not an athlete.  My husband claims that I've run too many marathons, etc. to claim that anymore...but it's all about perception.

So maybe I'm a runner but I would love to tri. BUT I'm scared.  probably the same kind of scared I was before my first marathon but it was so long ago that I've forgotten.  

I'm currently in the stage of getting to know the other parts of tri - bike and swim.  

I first tried to ride my mountain bike (20 years old and my undergrad commuter bike - but it was the only bike I had.)  Just got my first road bike - last week and love it!  Been riding around locally - but that's Mt. Diablo and my route is part of the Amgen Tour of California that is next week.  So not too shabby.  I'm getting into bike shape slowly...but working on it.

Swim terrifies me.  I'd say that I only swim well enough not to drown on a good day.  I'm trying to find time to get lessons so I have more confidence.

Time...wishing I had more.  Work full time and spend 1.5 hours a day commuting.  Have a husband and 2 small kids (just turned 5 and about to turn 3).  Have been rushing out of work on these wonderful spring days to run and bike with my friends.  I tend to do better in groups - it distracts me and I get longer distances in!

Excited to learn from all of you. 

2012-05-10 9:55 PM
in reply to: #4202833

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
evaseto - 2012-05-10 2:09 PM

Hi!

I'm not an athlete.  My husband claims that I've run too many marathons, etc. to claim that anymore...but it's all about perception.

So maybe I'm a runner but I would love to tri. BUT I'm scared.  probably the same kind of scared I was before my first marathon but it was so long ago that I've forgotten.  

I'm currently in the stage of getting to know the other parts of tri - bike and swim.  

I first tried to ride my mountain bike (20 years old and my undergrad commuter bike - but it was the only bike I had.)  Just got my first road bike - last week and love it!  Been riding around locally - but that's Mt. Diablo and my route is part of the Amgen Tour of California that is next week.  So not too shabby.  I'm getting into bike shape slowly...but working on it.

Swim terrifies me.  I'd say that I only swim well enough not to drown on a good day.  I'm trying to find time to get lessons so I have more confidence.

Time...wishing I had more.  Work full time and spend 1.5 hours a day commuting.  Have a husband and 2 small kids (just turned 5 and about to turn 3).  Have been rushing out of work on these wonderful spring days to run and bike with my friends.  I tend to do better in groups - it distracts me and I get longer distances in!

Eva

This is Dave  AKA "Mr. White"     Q  AKA "Jesse" will be along soon I'm sure.

I wrote this nice schtick for Nephie's  welcome to the group , but since she has not seen it and may not return? (apologies Nephie if you do)   I will re-use it but modify it just a bit.

Wait a sec....   "The Knights demand a shrubbery!!"    Not just any shrubbery  not too tall,  not too short.  

important questions:

"Are you the kind of person that double dips the chip?"  That is very much frowned upon with this group.   But its not a deal breaker, if you can make the adjustment. 

"Do you have Viking blood?"   just wondering..  again not a deal breaker.

"Do you watch Breaking Bad?"   Mucho references to this bad A$$ show   (if not start watching.... it's like homework or something

"Do you play an instrument or sing  or both?"  

Ok enough of the silly-    Please post your bio!    (you are waaaayyyy  ahead on this one and have already done so

Mt. Diablo???    Damn  I want a Mt. Diablo to ride around here!   No fair.

Road bike-  Oh yeah quite a difference on a road bike.  You have to feel like you are flying versus that Mountain bike! 

You seem very enthusiastic,  so I will drop the demand of a shrubbery.   We humbly accept you into our magical group!

You WILL tri!   do you have one picked out? 

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-05-10 9:56 PM
2012-05-10 9:59 PM
in reply to: #4202148

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-05-10 10:21 AM

Are you sure Mr. Bones isn't Krypto (superdog) in disguise?

You know, you are on to something with this. 

2012-05-10 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4201912

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Lesandtj - 2012-05-10 9:07 AM

My current pair are Asics Kensei ($180+)Surprised  and I'm headed to a foot doctor today. So...........

By the way I paid MUCH less than retail. $180.00 is crazy expensive! Pay whatever you have to for the correct shoe for you. Whether it's 80.00 or 180.00. "You get what you pay for." applies to almost everything, but for running shoes you need to get what you need.  

TJ 

Please tell us what happened at your appointment!   We want to know!!  

2012-05-10 10:05 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

JESSE!!!!  <Bangs on door>  

Were you able to get out and run on this B-E-A-utiful  Chicago day??    Hope so.   It was awesome out there!

Update  for Mr. White-  OMG   I overnighted my application for the JFK ultra marathon!!  Hope I get in,  but more than a little intimidated by the thought of it.      Things will change if they say "YES you are in"  Oh yes there will be changes.  

2012-05-10 10:45 PM
in reply to: #4203767

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-05-10 10:05 PM

JESSE!!!!   

Were you able to get out and run on this B-E-A-utiful  Chicago day??    Hope so.   It was awesome out there!

Update  for Mr. White-  OMG   I overnighted my application for the JFK ultra marathon!!  Hope I get in,  but more than a little intimidated by the thought of it.      Things will change if they say "YES you are in"  Oh yes there will be changes.  

YO Mr. White. I was too busy getting old high school friends hooked up into our new "business." Ya, that's right Eva and I go back to the bad hair, bad skin, bad boyfriend days...spent under the shadow of Mt. Diablo. She was smart and stayed...me...not so much...

And no, I did intervals in the pain cave. Yes, it was as horrible as it sounded. But not as horrible as running with this terrible sore hip I've got going on.

And on a happier note, Costco is selling ASICS Gel's for 65 freakin' dollars!!! Peeps might want to check it out...

2012-05-10 11:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Missoula

I think it is funny to be happy that I have soft tissue damage. But it was good news! At this point he thinks I have the beginnings of a pinched nerve. The metatarsal joint of my 2nd toe is pretty swollen and he thinks that it is causing the nerve issues. I can still bike and swim and when the swelling and consequently the pain subside, I can start running again. Whoo Hooo! 

He prescribed anti-inflammatories and RICE.  I just ate a huge bowl of rice and my foot still hurts. Oh well....  

Thanks for all the words of encouragement! 

2012-05-11 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4203836

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Lesandtj - 2012-05-10 11:26 PM

I think it is funny to be happy that I have soft tissue damage. But it was good news! At this point he thinks I have the beginnings of a pinched nerve. The metatarsal joint of my 2nd toe is pretty swollen and he thinks that it is causing the nerve issues. I can still bike and swim and when the swelling and consequently the pain subside, I can start running again. Whoo Hooo! 

He prescribed anti-inflammatories and RICE.  I just ate a huge bowl of rice and my foot still hurts. Oh well....  

Thanks for all the words of encouragement! 

THis is almost exactly what I had! Did he look at your shoes or watch you run or anything? Some podiatrists are really good at helping with that kind of stuff. My guy actually had a treadmill and would take video and replay it in slow motion to analyze whether your shoes were good for your particular stride. It was pretty cool.

Anyway, congrats on your soft tissue damage! So much better than a stress fracture or a neuroma or something horrid like that.

Q

2012-05-11 9:28 AM

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
Less than 30 days till my first Tri.  Gosh darn I've got to get my butt back into the pool..
2012-05-11 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4202833

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
evaseto - 2012-05-10 3:09 PM

Hi!

Hi Eva!

Welcome to the nuthouse...I mean group!!

I am VERY new to the whole triathlon thing. Just did my first sprint a couple weeks ago. I am also a converted marathoner. I think it's much easier to do tris from a running background, and you'll pick up the swimming quickly. My husband trains and races with me, and he just learned to swim last summer. He's doing better in the OWS than I am, and I have much more experience with OWS than he does (if you look back in our thread you'll notice that quite a few of us have swimming panic issues).

I used to live in the bay area - my husband is from Santa Cruz, and his family is still there. We went to medical school out there (where we met), but left because of the cost of living and traffic (1.5 hours of commuting was just too much for me!!) Such a beautiful place to live, though, and great for outdoor sports!!

I look forward to getting to "know" you...and maybe one day we'll meet up at a race out there! I did my first trail half marathon in Santa Cruz a couple years ago - it was crazy!!! Straight up mountains and through a chest deep rapidly flowing river - holding on to a rope! You definitely have a one up on the rest of us in hill training!

Sarah

2012-05-11 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4204298

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

mjh1975 - 2012-05-11 9:28 AM Less than 30 days till my first Tri.  Gosh darn I've got to get my butt back into the pool..

Well GO, along with you then, to the pool!

2012-05-11 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4204298

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

mjh1975 - 2012-05-11 10:28 AM Less than 30 days till my first Tri.  Gosh darn I've got to get my butt back into the pool..

Just suck it up and do it!! There is something to that old Nike motto...but I think they left out 'suck it up and'

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  

of 51