BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-07 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4562006

User image

Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED
50andgettingfit - 2013-01-04 12:05 PM

Michelle,

Is the Goofy Challenge two races back to back?

Yes!! A half on Saturday and a Marathon on Sunday.  I plan to take it way easy for both!!

2013-01-07 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4566340

User image

Veteran
kenj - 2013-01-07 1:56 PM

Mission2be - 2013-01-07 1:32 PM

I had a sucky run yesterday and didnt even put in my six because I hated every minute on the treadmill. Physically I felt fine, my heart rate didnt even get out of control, I just did not want to be there.

On a better note I had a pretty decent swim this morning. Im starting for the beginning with the ability to float as my only strong point. But I think I am starting to get my body rotation down and I'm not kicking like a frantic kid in the water!

I have a question about bike to run bricks.  Is it something you guys do every week, throw it in occasionally or just towards the end? I'm currently base building as well and I am not sure if it something I should really focus a lot on.

I agree with Brian.  There are good oportunities to get in a short run after a bike and avoid a second trip to the gym or shower or just to save time.  I think this the more valuable part of doing bricks regularly.  A few bricks in the weeks leading up to a race can have value, especially for new triathletes just to get a feeling of what it is like to run off the bike as it is different.

THose that argue against doing bricks are generally saying that every, or most every workout is important regardless of the intensity and you need to be rested, I get that.  But for those that are time limited, there is certainly value in getting the extra training in.  The key is to make sure that the brick runs are done on days that are not key workouts for the run, like long run or higher intensity days. 

Most plans on BT have bricks built into them every few weeks and are specific about how to approach them.  This far out, bricks should be done more as a convenience in my opinion.

My plans in the early season include brick as a convenience to maximize the limited workout time and increase the miles that I am running.
2013-01-07 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

39 degrees on the deck????????  OK, I'm done whining for the week.    Johanne, you are bada$$.
2013-01-07 3:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees

Thanks all for your words of encouragement. I do like the start of things but I am worried all the time that 21 weeks isn't enough for me to achieve my goal of finishing the him. However,I can only give it my best shot on the training and see how far I get.

Robin, you may be a week or so ahead of me but I think you are doing a lot more than the bt plan - and harder!!

Today went well. I forgot I was going to try to do all the swimming and see how long I took, however, in 40 mins I achieved 1300m which includes 200m of kick only - which is appallingly slow (it seemed really easy when I was a kid), However, 3.05 min/100m seems a bit quick for me - if I get a few more swims in then I'll know if I really am that fast, or I can't count!

And , sadly, I discovered when attempting to run on the treadmill that I had the wrong combination of pants and leggings on so every time I ran a bit I could feel my pants falling down. Horrible. So, I did a fast walk instead. Still burned up over 300 cals (according to the treadmill).

At this time of year I do do a few trainer rides then get straight out doors for a run, mainly so i don't have to run later in the day., I think it is good practice for your legs.

Hope you have all had a great Monday.

Jennifer 

2013-01-07 4:49 PM
in reply to: #4566659

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Jennifer--21 weeks is plenty of time for your HIM training!! Stay consistent & don't get discouraged, you will be fine. I haven't looked closely at the plan you are following, but I will warn you, but I thought the worst thing about HIM training was all the Z2-Z3 workouts. I just had to throw in some high intensity stuff to keep my sanity. Hopefully you're plan is a little different.

39 degrees, in a swimsuit, brrrrr!! I don't like walking from the locker room to the indoor pool. Not sure I could do that, that's awesome!!

Nate-so sorry about your accident, & glad you weren't hurt!

So I think I've mapped out my training plan. I've got 35 weeks until IMWI, so for the next 5 weeks I'll focus on getting in 2 swims, 2 bikes, & 3-4 runs a week, plus 2 Pilates workouts & 2 strength sessions (oh & some stair work for my stair race at the end of Feb). At 30 weeks, I'll start one of Fink's 30 week plans. At 20 weeks out, I'll make a decision to stick with Fink's plan or switch over to one of the BT 20-week plans. I really LOVE following a plan, makes my life so much easier, & helps my confidence.

Kids are back in school, so I was enjoying the quiet around my house.
2013-01-07 5:16 PM
in reply to: #4566818

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Omahabritt - 2013-01-07 5:49 PM Jennifer--21 weeks is plenty of time for your HIM training!! Stay consistent & don't get discouraged, you will be fine. I haven't looked closely at the plan you are following, but I will warn you, but I thought the worst thing about HIM training was all the Z2-Z3 workouts. I just had to throw in some high intensity stuff to keep my sanity. Hopefully you're plan is a little different. 39 degrees, in a swimsuit, brrrrr!! I don't like walking from the locker room to the indoor pool. Not sure I could do that, that's awesome!! Nate-so sorry about your accident, & glad you weren't hurt! So I think I've mapped out my training plan. I've got 35 weeks until IMWI, so for the next 5 weeks I'll focus on getting in 2 swims, 2 bikes, & 3-4 runs a week, plus 2 Pilates workouts & 2 strength sessions (oh & some stair work for my stair race at the end of Feb). At 30 weeks, I'll start one of Fink's 30 week plans. At 20 weeks out, I'll make a decision to stick with Fink's plan or switch over to one of the BT 20-week plans. I really LOVE following a plan, makes my life so much easier, & helps my confidence. Kids are back in school, so I was enjoying the quiet around my house.

Sounds like a good approach!

2013-01-07 6:12 PM
in reply to: #4566659

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
jennifer65 - 2013-01-07 3:24 PM

Thanks all for your words of encouragement. I do like the start of things but I am worried all the time that 21 weeks isn't enough for me to achieve my goal of finishing the him. However,I can only give it my best shot on the training and see how far I get.

Robin, you may be a week or so ahead of me but I think you are doing a lot more than the bt plan - and harder!!

Today went well. I forgot I was going to try to do all the swimming and see how long I took, however, in 40 mins I achieved 1300m which includes 200m of kick only - which is appallingly slow (it seemed really easy when I was a kid), However, 3.05 min/100m seems a bit quick for me - if I get a few more swims in then I'll know if I really am that fast, or I can't count!

And , sadly, I discovered when attempting to run on the treadmill that I had the wrong combination of pants and leggings on so every time I ran a bit I could feel my pants falling down. Horrible. So, I did a fast walk instead. Still burned up over 300 cals (according to the treadmill).

At this time of year I do do a few trainer rides then get straight out doors for a run, mainly so i don't have to run later in the day., I think it is good practice for your legs.

Hope you have all had a great Monday.

Jennifer 

If I can do it - than so can you!!! I am taking one day at a time - currently I am beat and it is only week 2!

The pant thing - had a similar thing happen to me yesterday - all my workout pants were dirty (or maybe I was just too lazy to dig through the clean clothes that I hadn't folded yet Embarassed) but I ended wearing a pair of yoga pants that are supposed to fit lower on the hips - while I was on the treadmill at the gym I kept trying to yank them up only to give myself a wedgie whic created a different problem - who knows what the people behind me thought! Also was having trouble with my HR monitor - finally took it off! AND I was quietly yelling at the tv screen during the football game.  I will say that I was on that damn thing for over an hour - so maybe not one person had to witness all my gym indiscretions! 

2013-01-07 6:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
So, I'm BT surfing on the train... did you know that Ken has 4 PAGES OF RACES LOGGED?

Reading a couple has me more keyed up than that NBC Ironman show, and ready to register for more IM's.

Ken, you must be ready to get back to Lake Placid by now, maybe it wont even rain in 2014. Now I'm committed. Going to volunteer for a late shift this year to get in next time. I'd make a weekend of it, but have a big race that morning. See you there?

2013-01-07 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4566304

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Meulen - 2013-01-07 1:42 PM
Mission2be - 2013-01-07 12:32 PM

I have a question about bike to run bricks.  Is it something you guys do every week, throw it in occasionally or just towards the end? I'm currently base building as well and I am not sure if it something I should really focus a lot on.

There are definitely some differing opinions on this.  Personally, I just throw them in everyonce in a while or do them because of time constraints.  There's a book called The Time Crunched Triathlete that advocates a lot of bricks.  I guess if you work into your plan a design to improve run fitness after the bike it works well.  But, IMO there are other ways to improve your run.  I don't sweat it, just do them every once in while to remember how it feels!

I like bricks!

I do more when it gets close to race time. I find them very beneficial for sprint races. Longer races for some reason not so much but I still like to do them to remind my body what it feels like in case it forgets.

2013-01-07 9:51 PM
in reply to: #4564136

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Omahabritt - 2013-01-05 9:07 PM Kathleen--I did HIM Kansas last year, I'm happy to answer any questions you have about it. It was a very tough day, but honestly the swim was the easiest of the 3, & it's by far my worst discipline!! I still had a great time, & will do it again if I can work it in my schedule. I'm also doing IMWI this year as are a couple more in the group. Welcome! Still trying to pick a training plan for my IM. So I bought "Be Iron Fit" for my Kindle & it looks like there's only 2 swim workouts a week??? That really doesn't seem like enough. For my HIM it was usually 3 (sometimes more) per week. Thoughts? I'm slow, don't have a swimming background, but felt like the frequency I did last year made me well prepared, not sure if I want to take a chance with fewer swim workouts.

Thank you!

I would love to chat with you about Kansas. Just the logistics seem a bit more complex for this race.

2013-01-07 9:54 PM
in reply to: #4564328

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
kenj - 2013-01-06 6:15 AM
Kath2163 - 2013-01-05 7:24 PM

WOW!!!!  I just did my best to read/scan 17 pages of posts. I kept seeing the e-mail notifications coming into my inbox and was just so busy at work that I couldn't get them. So forgive me if I post about something that has already been discussed.

Quick bio.

Kathleen

Age 49

I have been doing triathlons since 2008. I signed up for one sprint and the rest is history. Each year I added a distance until 2011 when I did Ironman Arizona. My big race this past year was Ironman Florida and while I had hoped for a "better" race (read time) the conditions were hard on me and a combination of sea sickness and high temps/humidity did me in. I finished but just barely. While I enjoyed Arizona much more, I would have to say that I am more proud of my Florida finish due to the struggles I overcame.

I am a MOP person at best. Running has always been a struggle and continues to be so. 

I have been in Ken's mentor group for at least a few seasons and whether or not he knows it, he has been there for all my milestones   He was part of a group who helped me purchase my tri bike and saw me through my first HIM.  He also helped me through IMAZ and IMFL.

I live in Colorado but grew up on the east coast.  I went to boarding school in Troy NY (just outside of Albany) and attended my first year of college in upstate NY so I am not unfamiliar with what all you east coasters experience in the winter and summer months.  I also lived in South FL for many years before moving to CO.

So far I am signed up for one Triathlon in 2013 which is Ironman Wisconsin.  I must admit if I hadn't signed up before IMFL, I don't know if I would have taken the plunge.  I will probably also sign up for Kansas 70.3 though reading the race reports from last year has me a bit nervous. After IMFL, anything that mentions rough water conditions makes me nausious   I am going to Dallas to do the Rock and Roll Half Marathon in March.  I have done numerous half marathons but have only been satisfied with one finish. Major GI issues are a HUGE problem for me and have made running long distances tough.

On the home front, I have a significant other who is fine with my training. We also have a two year old Cocker Spaniel named Casey and are considering getting another one ( I must be nuts).

One of my main goals for this season is to keep up with this group and be more active!   Mentor groups are so great and I have learned a lot from them but more importantly I have gained new friends. I am a great cheerleader and will track you online during your race all day if I have the means to do so  

I hope everyone is injoying their weekend!

Thanks for the update Kathleen!  You will have a lot of people here to discuss your IMWI training with!!

Are you using the same coach this your for the race?

Ken, I am using the same coach!  She is really wonderful and just the type of coach that I need. She loves what she does, has  only a small group of clients (who turn into friends) and the individual attention is amazing.  I am very fortunate.

2013-01-07 9:57 PM
in reply to: #4564675

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
50andgettingfit - 2013-01-06 12:07 PM

On a totally non tri note I foster for our local animal shelter. I usually take in kittens and grow them up and socialize them so they are more adoptable. I decided to take on a mama and her day old puppies this time around for some puppy fun. Here is a recent video of them at 6 weeks. We're hoping that most of them will be 'pre-adopted' when people see all of their cuteness. Otherwise, they will still go quick once they are back at the shelter. The big black dog is ours. He's 13 and we got him from a shelter when he was a year old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm-b74ViBzA

I have been considering being a foster to puppies.  Lots of work but so rewarding I am sure!

2013-01-08 4:48 AM
in reply to: #4566965

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
bdenehy - 2013-01-07 7:42 PM So, I'm BT surfing on the train... did you know that Ken has 4 PAGES OF RACES LOGGED?

Reading a couple has me more keyed up than that NBC Ironman show, and ready to register for more IM's.

Ken, you must be ready to get back to Lake Placid by now, maybe it wont even rain in 2014. Now I'm committed. Going to volunteer for a late shift this year to get in next time. I'd make a weekend of it, but have a big race that morning. See you there?

Thinking about it but I would need to convince the wife.  She likes Florida much better.  I am thinking seriously of heading up there to volunteer just to see some of you guys here and some other friends doing the race.  Whether I register or not, is still up in the air.  But yes, I would like to return there at some point. 

As often as you race Bill, you can't be far from 4 pages!  Although this time of year I get the running race every couple of weeks,.

2013-01-08 4:50 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

So whos training today?  I have a bike session with some Z4 intervals.  Then some strength work tonight. 

Looks like those of us in the northeast are getting a January thaw this week, looking forward to getting outside for some running!

2013-01-08 7:19 AM
in reply to: #4567426

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
kenj - 2013-01-08 5:50 AM

So whos training today?  I have a bike session with some Z4 intervals.  Then some strength work tonight. 

Looks like those of us in the northeast are getting a January thaw this week, looking forward to getting outside for some running!

I didnt take advantage of the warmer weather today. Blew off my run :-). Maybe I'll hit it tonight....

I have a challenging period coming up for tri training, and everything else (just whining now). My better half takes off for 6 days in Mexico on Friday with a friend of hers. So its me, 3 kids, a dog, and busy season at work. Apparently you can't leave a flakey 7 year old in charge of a 5 and 2 year old for a couple of hours (no one told my folks that back in 70's). So all workouts will have to be super early and inside. If i cant at least get a sitter for a couple of hours on Sunday, it might mean 16 miles on a treadmill. I've been spoiled so far, and i don't know how those of you who head a household do it. My MIL will come over a couple of days so i can get into work, but shes not coming in the dark of the morning to support my tri addiction.

2013-01-08 7:33 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
kenj - 2013-01-08 4:50 AM

Had an awful day yesterday.  Started out tired, couldn't sleep the night before.  Slept 1-2 hours than headed off to work at 4am trying to stay awake.  I hit the gym before I got home so I wasn't tempted to vege on the couch.  Did my pool run.  That started out ok, but it's really starting to suck.  The bottom of the pool is tearing up my feet.  I went home and put some clothes on to hit the kettlebells/weights and realized my feet were dripping blood all over.  After my awesome wife patched me up with self adhesive animal tape and gauze, I did my weights while I was making dinner.  Then off to bed and promptly over-slept for work today! LOL

2013-01-08 8:23 AM

User image

New user

I must admit that I was a bit of a slacker last week and even through yesterday. Motivation for getting up in the morning was lacking. Even with this group, which I am really enjoying--everyone's posts about training and advice is great--but I hadn't quite latched on to getting back in the groove. Then yesterday at lunch I watched the 25 minute video that Ironman Louisville has about last year's race, and that did it!

Yesterday morning I slept in instead of going for a run--no excuse, I just like to sleep. I did go to Crossfit after work and had a tough strength workout. This morning was also Crossfit, and for the first time in a couple of weeks I went to the morning class instead of going back to sleep. Long workout this morning. This evening I will hop on the roller training for anywhere between 30 min to an hour. It will be my first attempt at putting the tri bike on the trainer, I've always used my road bike, so that should be interesting!

To maintain my newly found (less than 24-hour) motivation, I decided to start blogging about this journey. It is more because it's an outlet for me, I enjoy getting the thoughts out and sharing them (even if no one reads it). And along with this group, I think it will hold me more accountable to my training. So here is a link to my first post: http://beakersironmanjourney.blogspot.com/

Happy training all!
2013-01-08 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

Hope everyone has had a good start to the week! Should everything go as planned I've already found a pretty sweet deal on a car. 

Back to tri's...I got my Garmin 910xt in the mail yesterday! Man is this thing sweet! There is sooo much it can do. I haven't even used it yet but would recommend it to anyone!

2013-01-08 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4567648

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
zee744 - 2013-01-08 8:30 AM

Hope everyone has had a good start to the week! Should everything go as planned I've already found a pretty sweet deal on a car. 

Back to tri's...I got my Garmin 910xt in the mail yesterday! Man is this thing sweet! There is sooo much it can do. I haven't even used it yet but would recommend it to anyone!

A couple of us have been using those for a while now.  I know I really like mine!   I think I was one of the first of my coaches athlete's to have one and he was elated to get all that swim data remotely.  Great tool!  have fun!!!

2013-01-08 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4567527

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
bdenehy - 2013-01-08 8:19 AM

I didnt take advantage of the warmer weather today. Blew off my run :-). Maybe I'll hit it tonight....

I have a challenging period coming up for tri training, and everything else (just whining now). My better half takes off for 6 days in Mexico on Friday with a friend of hers. So its me, 3 kids, a dog, and busy season at work. Apparently you can't leave a flakey 7 year old in charge of a 5 and 2 year old for a couple of hours (no one told my folks that back in 70's). So all workouts will have to be super early and inside. If i cant at least get a sitter for a couple of hours on Sunday, it might mean 16 miles on a treadmill. I've been spoiled so far, and i don't know how those of you who head a household do it. My MIL will come over a couple of days so i can get into work, but shes not coming in the dark of the morning to support my tri addiction.

Look on the brightside Bill, the spousal approval units (SAU's) earned next week will more than make up for any missed training sessions. 

Might be a good week for recovery!.

2013-01-08 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4567543

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Meulen - 2013-01-08 8:33 AM

Had an awful day yesterday.  Started out tired, couldn't sleep the night before.  Slept 1-2 hours than headed off to work at 4am trying to stay awake.  I hit the gym before I got home so I wasn't tempted to vege on the couch.  Did my pool run.  That started out ok, but it's really starting to suck.  The bottom of the pool is tearing up my feet.  I went home and put some clothes on to hit the kettlebells/weights and realized my feet were dripping blood all over.  After my awesome wife patched me up with self adhesive animal tape and gauze, I did my weights while I was making dinner.  Then off to bed and promptly over-slept for work today! LOL

Aren't you supposed to do the pool running in the deep end? Undecided 

Catching up on your rest, especially in January, is a good thing. 

2013-01-08 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4567784

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
kenj - 2013-01-08 9:37 AM

There's two ways to do it.  Completely submerged or in the regular lane lines that are 4-5' deep.  I'm doing it in the lane lines.  There's no deep end at my gym, and you need a weight and preferably some breathing equipment to do it in the deep end.

2013-01-08 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4567789

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Meulen - 2013-01-08 10:41 AM
kenj - 2013-01-08 9:37 AM

There's two ways to do it.  Completely submerged or in the regular lane lines that are 4-5' deep.  I'm doing it in the lane lines.  There's no deep end at my gym, and you need a weight and preferably some breathing equipment to do it in the deep end.

I see, the people that do it in my pool wear a belt floating in the deep end and their feet never touch the bottom.  But they all turnaround and are only in the deep end where it is 8 or 10 feet deep.  There is actually one guy that competes to win in many of the local and regional races that does his recovery runs there.  60 - 90 minutes and he doesn't use a floatation belt.  Not sure how he does it as he has single digit body fat percentage. 

2013-01-08 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4567636

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
rquinn23 - 2013-01-08 9:23 AM

I must admit that I was a bit of a slacker last week and even through yesterday. Motivation for getting up in the morning was lacking. Even with this group, which I am really enjoying--everyone's posts about training and advice is great--but I hadn't quite latched on to getting back in the groove. Then yesterday at lunch I watched the 25 minute video that Ironman Louisville has about last year's race, and that did it! Yesterday morning I slept in instead of going for a run--no excuse, I just like to sleep. I did go to Crossfit after work and had a tough strength workout. This morning was also Crossfit, and for the first time in a couple of weeks I went to the morning class instead of going back to sleep. Long workout this morning. This evening I will hop on the roller training for anywhere between 30 min to an hour. It will be my first attempt at putting the tri bike on the trainer, I've always used my road bike, so that should be interesting! To maintain my newly found (less than 24-hour) motivation, I decided to start blogging about this journey. It is more because it's an outlet for me, I enjoy getting the thoughts out and sharing them (even if no one reads it). And along with this group, I think it will hold me more accountable to my training. So here is a link to my first post: http://beakersironmanjourney.blogspot.com/Happy training all!

I enjoyed your first post in the blog Becky!  Glad to hear that you found the motivation you were looking for to start.  This time of year is always a challenge with the short days and the stress from the year end etc. 

2013-01-08 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4567648

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
zee744 - 2013-01-08 9:30 AM

I have both the 910 and 310, yes I am a gear junkie, and I prefer the 910 for most things.  The swim data, although sometimes the truth hurts, is tremendous. 

But the bike data for those that use power is great.  A lot of the data was available from the 310 but you couldn't see it until it was downloaded.  But with the 910 you can display a 3 second or 10 second average which smooths out the current number.  Also, my coach looks at TSS which is total stress score and even goes as far as to tell me XX:XX time or XXX TSS, whichever comes first. 

The only problem I am having is with cadence.  For some reason it appears to be way high, and I suspect it is getting data from both the speed/cadence sensor and the power tap.  The 310 doesn't have this issue, but I have messed with the settings and haven't figured it out yet. 

You will enjoy the 910 I am sure.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64