BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RFP GROUP 2013 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-01-20 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4586787

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: RFP GROUP 2013 - CLOSED

Very true AJ but it is difficult telling an Ironman they are over training and need a day off haha.  Sometimes I have also found that the HR monitor takes a little bit for it to kick I guess you would say.  I think it has something to do with it needing moisture (usually fom sweat).  My heart rate always skyrockets at the beginning of workouts, especially runs then after about 1 mile I settle into my correct zone and pace.

arock84 - 2013-01-20 11:14 AM

You may need an off day or two.  Sometimes when your heart rate is off like that it can indicate over-training.

2013-01-20 12:07 PM
in reply to: #4586789

User image

Expert

I love my foam roller! I should use it more consistently and have only really been using when I start to feel tight or something not right.  I highly suggest spending a little extra and getting one of the Trigger Point rollers.  It holds it shape so much better compared to an actual foam roller.

Trigger Point Roller

kpringle - 2013-01-20 11:17 AM

Since Gil brought up the issue of stretching to keep injuries at bay, it also got me thinking about foam rollers...  Does anyone use them?  Do you think they help? Thanks!

2013-01-20 5:13 PM
in reply to: #4550197

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Team.

I hope everyone had a great weekend. Gil - nice job on the run.

I am definately on the mend. I have only been swimming and it has been a good way to stay active and let this flu run its course. My full IM plan starts on Feb 4 and I am looking forward to it.

I am wondering if anyone has a computrainer? I am close to purchasing a used one from a friend and was wondering what eveyone thinkd of them?

Have a safe weeke everyone - back in the pool tomorrow morning.

KC

2013-01-20 5:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Yes to foam rollers.  Critical as stretching/yoga.  Got into them after an IT band injury after a half marathon, my first, in 2010.  I use Trigger Point and Rumble Roller.  The latter is not for beginners.  

I am off the strict paleo diet.  After the flu over Christmas I felt like crap.  I added some whole grain back into the diet and I have loads of energy again.

I did 14 miles yesterday on the run at 9:06/mile, 2:07 overall.  Blazing for me.  I have to start doing negative splits at this distance.  I have at shorter distances but this volume of running this early in the year is all new.  So, will try it for my coach.

Today was a intensity bike workout with 3 X15 mins SEs (hill repeats at 50 to 60 rpm and high power, 90%) with 15 X 1 min SE pops to 130%, five per interval.  Even after the longish run I had plenty of gas today.  Feeling good.  

2013-01-20 7:09 PM

User image

Regular
Rest day for me. My wife turned 40 yesterday and I threw a surprised party. I am 40 in a month.
2013-01-20 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4586151

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

Gil - Awesome run, glad the ankle/heels are feeling better, also happy to hear they pulled up well after the effort!

KTC - Great ride, good news about the HR training working too, I'm still trying to get my head around it. I bought Joe Friel's book about HR training so hoping that will help.

Kristen - I use a foam roller, ice and stretching.. foam rollers are awesome, the next best thing to a massage imho. I love mine and usually spend about 20 mins or so on it after my nightly stretch.

KC - glad to hear you are feeling better and back into it in the pool, good luck with the IM training, but I know you'll smash it!

Ice - I hate to repeat myself, but.... You ARE a machine!!

2013-01-20 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4586829

User image

Chicago

I also love the foam roller. I really believe that it has helped with my Achillies pain. It was recommended to me by a local trainer and I have been using it  almost daily. It's great to use on calfs, glutes, quads, and every trigger area in the legs.

tmoran80 - 2013-01-20 12:07 PM

I love my foam roller! I should use it more consistently and have only really been using when I start to feel tight or something not right.  I highly suggest spending a little extra and getting one of the Trigger Point rollers.  It holds it shape so much better compared to an actual foam roller.

Trigger Point Roller

kpringle - 2013-01-20 11:17 AM

Since Gil brought up the issue of stretching to keep injuries at bay, it also got me thinking about foam rollers...  Does anyone use them?  Do you think they help? Thanks!

2013-01-20 9:07 PM
in reply to: #4586814

User image

Chicago

Tim - I feel great but I am still taking it easy. I'm not feeling a lot of pain which is great but I don't feel like I'm completely out of the woods yet.

tmoran80 - 2013-01-20 11:47 AM

How are you feeling after the run Gil?  Hopefully everything is feeling great and you are healed!

gdelamora - 2013-01-19 2:46 PM

Hey Team,

Had a great run today. It was a chilly 32 degrees and windy. I put in my longest one of the year. 9 miles. Hope I don't regret it tomorrow.

2013-01-21 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have a foam roller also and love it.  I am trying to add it into my routine where I will use it right before going to bed.  I have a recurring hamstring issue and I drive a lot so I have a tennis ball in my car and will use it while driving.  I will put the ball under my leg as a trigger point and will move it around, it helps on those long drives.

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words about the HR training.  My coach has tried for me to use the HR training for my IM last year but I have a hard time staying in the zone as I may want to go faster, particularly in the Aerobic/Zone 2.  In those lower zones there are times I don't feel like I am barley moving and that I can go faster so I will and totally disregard what my heart rate says.  It is very hard to stay in those lower zones in the beginning.

2013-01-22 4:59 AM

User image

Well, the winter cold bug hit my house. All five of us have it. I haven't trained since Friday :/ I guess the good lord wanted me to have a down week in my training plan.

I hope you all have a great week!

Pierce
2013-01-22 7:29 AM

New user
Chicago

So I was able to do 100 meters in the water today without having to stop multiple times so I felt pretty good about that.  Keeping bearings with out a little stripe down the bottom of the water will be interesting.  Unless I get kicked in the head and knocked unconscious really not as concerned about the swim as I was before.  

Sat on my bike for about half hour yesterday.  Really don't remember the seat being that uncomfortable.  

Looking forward to 28 tomorrow.  Should be able to knock out a solid run without having to resort to the treadmill.  

Edited by arock84 2013-01-22 8:09 AM

2013-01-22 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Pierce, hope you and your family get to feeling better soon.

Arock, great job on the swim.  It will come in time, just keep practicing.

Not much going on my end.  However I guess I am in a training blues phase.  I am training, but I have nothing on my calendar till this summer to train for and sometimes I feel because of that I am not giving it my all in some of my training sessions.  Has anyone else experience this?

2013-01-22 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4589028

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Kathy - I can totally relate... I get completely unmotivated unless I have a race to work toward.  I also train so much better if I'm using a structured training schedule and can check off the days as I move along.  (I have total OCD when it comes to training!

Are there any races you could do in March/April to help give your training a kick - maybe a nice Spring 1/2 marathon or marathon? 

krazytallchick - 2013-01-22 9:52 AM

Not much going on my end.  However I guess I am in a training blues phase.  I am training, but I have nothing on my calendar till this summer to train for and sometimes I feel because of that I am not giving it my all in some of my training sessions.  Has anyone else experience this?

2013-01-22 10:21 AM

User image

Global warming has struck southern Indiana hard this week. We are expecting a high of 12F today! It was 8F when I found time to rund this morning so I elected to use the treadmill. Today was a scheduled 7 mile aerobic run for me. 7 miles on a treadmill are painful! Road and trail running are such a blast but man I hate the treadmill.
Managed to grind through it with sub 8 min pace and in truth, my feet and knees were thankful for the break from road pounding.

Anybody else dread the treadmill? Mostly bothers me in mileage that exceeds 3 or 4 miles.

DC
2013-01-22 10:31 AM

Regular
Sheboygan, WI
Kathy - understandable.... Any Valentine's Day runs to do? Winter sucks, but before you know it, it will be summer again. Maybe watch a few Ironman videos. Health is so fragile. I just had a usually healthy patient stop in the other day. He had spent 16 days in a coma after somehow contracting Legionaire's Disease this fall. I try to think of how LUCKY I am to be able to do something (run, bike, swim) that so many people wish they could do. Hopefully this will help.

Arock.... Great job on the swim. Yes the lap pool is monotonous. I bought a waterproof mp3 player, but have yet to try it.

Here in good old Sheboygan, we had -25 degrees wind chill. Winter + Wisconsin = Crap. I was able to ride the 40 mile loop of the Ironman Wisconsin course on the computrainer for the first time. Man, my butt hurt, and those hills are tough. I will keep doing the route until I can do the whole thing, but I'm worried about doing the 112 mile course, and then having enough gas in the tank to do the marathon. Right now my long run is only 7 miles, but I will definitely do a marathon this spring before the race season for psychological reasons.

Stay healthy!
Timmer
2013-01-22 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4589207

New user
Chicago

LDC - 2013-01-22 10:21 AM Global warming has struck southern Indiana hard this week. We are expecting a high of 12F today! It was 8F when I found time to rund this morning so I elected to use the treadmill. Today was a scheduled 7 mile aerobic run for me. 7 miles on a treadmill are painful! Road and trail running are such a blast but man I hate the treadmill. Managed to grind through it with sub 8 min pace and in truth, my feet and knees were thankful for the break from road pounding. Anybody else dread the treadmill? Mostly bothers me in mileage that exceeds 3 or 4 miles. DC

Depends on the work out.  I did maybe 90% of my interval runs on a treadmill for my marathon this past year.  That was during the summer when I am generally in a better disposition.  During the winter when I want to sleep all day anyways running... especially at a steady pace on a treadmill is pretty much torture.  

Don't mind the pool, especially since that is new and I have a lot of technical things to focus on.  Don't mind weights again other technical things to focus on.  Really don't like the bike trainer but pain from not getting on it for a while is at least a distraction.  But the treadmill makes me nuts.  

The treadmill also forces the pace, which is fine for maintaining, especially doing mile long intervals or 8-1200's usually not bad.  Trying to rip off 200 or 400 meters or short 1:00 minute long intervals, waiting for the thing to speed up then slow down with out throwing you super far is kind of a pain.  

Also since it is forcing you to run at that pace I don't think it is the best tool for working on form, again for high intensity stuff and even for steadier runs, as it requires less focus and technique to run quickly on the treadmill as it does on the road or track.  To maintain any type of decent pace, well for any kind of race, it requires a certain amount of thinking that isn't necessary on a treadmill.  At least on the bike trainer when I space out I can feel it in the pedal stroke that I've lost it so to speak.  Mindless caloric burn = blahhhhhhhhhhh.  

All kinds of excuses to not get on one of those things.  However a week of sub 25-20 degrees with a lot of wind and you will find me on one and probably very grumpy.  

2013-01-22 12:15 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

I'm in the minority and love the treadmill - for distances less than 7 miles that is. 

The longest run I've done on one is 10 miles and it was a challenge mentally.  I had to do that 10 miler while training for 1/2 marathon and husband was traveling for work, so no one to look after the kids - sent them to play at the Y while I was a hamster on the wheel!

2013-01-23 10:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Boulder

Looks like everyone is making progress!

We've been in Utah skiing so I feel like I'm starting over again on training

What I really need to get dialed in is my nutrition. I've been eating poorly since December and can't seem to get a hold of it. It's kind of like the "see food" diet...I see food and I eat it. I really need to shed a few pounds to make my running easier. Must. try. harder.

Happy Wednesday!

2013-01-23 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4590982

User image

I am the same way Jen. Two things have helped me. 1- I can't eat what I don't buy. And 2- Never go to the grocery store hungry.

I'm still fighting the cold, but I can't stand not working out any longer. I don't think a swim sounds like a good idea given that it's my least confident sport. Plus I have new gear to try out. I followed Tim's advice and went with a Garmin FR70 with foot pod. My bike has a flight deck on it so I skipped on the speed/cadence sensor for now. I figure I will do an easy pace run and go as long as I feel like I can. I'm hoping for at least 4 miles but we will see.

2013-01-23 11:38 AM

New user
Chicago
WillTriForBeer - 2013-01-23 10:10 AM

Looks like everyone is making progress!

We've been in Utah skiing so I feel like I'm starting over again on training

What I really need to get dialed in is my nutrition. I've been eating poorly since December and can't seem to get a hold of it. It's kind of like the "see food" diet...I see food and I eat it. I really need to shed a few pounds to make my running easier. Must. try. harder.

Happy Wednesday!

From two years ago my diet has drastically changed.  A month ago is when it went into full over drive.  Have been working out more and feeling better than ever.  Eating well makes a ridiculous difference.  Sleeping helps too but I am totally sold on the 80% diet 20% workout in terms of what makes the biggest difference in feeling good, getting results and wanting to get out of bed the next day.  

And really aside from pizza and buffalo chicken wraps, neither of which I have easy access to, I don't have any cravings or desire to eat garbage.  Making a list before going to store and not buying anything extra is key.  You just have to get on the horse and ride.  

Edited by arock84 2013-01-23 11:41 AM
2013-01-23 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI

OK, now that I am caught up on the reading!  Whew!

Dennis-running on the TM is boring for me so I just try to limit it to one hour and have some purpose/goal for the workout (i.e. speed intervals, hill repeats, etc.).  I also have a mirror for monitoring form.  I use an iPod to keep me entertained (never use it running outside).

Kathy-Nice job on the HR monitor training.  Nice reminder for me to try it again.  I also found that my HR starts out high and then settles in nicely once I hit my pace.  Motivation sure is hard when you don't have an event/race in the near future.  I am trying to find a race in March to help with my motivation!

Kevin-I do have a computrainer and also do a performance based cycling class on Tuesdays and Thursdays using computrainers.  I love it and highly recommend it!  Big cycling improvement for me since taking the class and purchasing the CT.

Gil-Nice long run, great start on the new year for you!

I second everything said on the use of foam rollers.  They work very well.  I also have the Trigger Point roller.

-Lori

2013-01-23 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI

Jen-I decided to give menu planning a try.  My niece does it religiously and it has worked extremely well for her family.  She plans the week (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), reviews the recipes, plans healthy snacks (fruit, yogurt, etc.), makes out her grocery list for the week, and shops on Sunday AM.  She does not stray from the grocery list.  They have one cheat day per week and go out for lunch or dinner or order pizza to have at home.

Questions for Ironman trainers/Ironman finishers:

-How long is/was your training plan (20 weeks, 24 weeks, 30 weeks, something different)?

-What is/was your weekly training volume starting out and for your peak weeks of training?

Finishing up the plan and would like to see what you have done/or are doing.

Thanks!

-Lori

2013-01-23 12:49 PM

User image

Jen, That is killing me right now too. I love to eat and have been on the same diet as you. Slowly weaning myself and getting back to smart choices but it is hard. I love me some food! DC
2013-01-23 4:26 PM
in reply to: #4591319

New user
Chicago

LDC - 2013-01-23 12:49 PM Jen, That is killing me right now too. I love to eat and have been on the same diet as you. Slowly weaning myself and getting back to smart choices but it is hard. I love me some food! DC

Just go cold turkey.

2013-01-23 6:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am right there with you DC and Jenn.  I told myself that this week was the start of my diet and start tracking.  Only tracked on Monday and the diet has not happened, however I am making better food choices.  It will take some time for me to get back on track.  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RFP GROUP 2013 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41