BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-01-11 5:43 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed

Originally posted by Juancho I am also using Garmin 910, how do you connect it to BT? This morning 1000m swim but the pool was too busy, last night spinning 45 min. Hope tomorrow go for a long run - trying to squeeze some workouts between kids basketball games, movies with friends, and lunch with in-laws.... is this relaxing? I guess so! At least enjoying a great Ribera del Duero red wine, Mauro, one of my favourites.
Nice job! I am going to try one of your reds, assuming it isn't $50....:-)

2014-01-11 6:33 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

finally started pushup challenge...my wife and son kicked my butt...it is a long way back!!

2014-01-11 6:43 PM

User image

Jackson, Mississippi

Originally posted by thor67

finally started pushup challenge...my wife and son kicked my butt...it is a long way back!!

I'm right there with you.  My wife would give me a run for my money too! 

2014-01-11 6:51 PM
in reply to: NeverTri'd

User image

Jackson, Mississippi

Well, the knee still aches a little, but I did start with some strength training yesterday.  Glutes and adductors are a little sore.  Also got some ab work done tonight.  Going to finish taking the day off with a couple Southern Pecan brown ale.  Figure I'll give the knee a go tomorrow with some easy spinning on the trainer and get 4-5 miles running Monday morning.  Hope everyone's having a great weekend. 

Bill

2014-01-11 7:21 PM
in reply to: NeverTri'd

User image

ok so first my swim was canceled because of weather, then due to the same weather I had to work traffic for a few hours. I finally made it to the gym and did my 3 miles but didn't enjoy it. tomorrow is my long run for the week.

No beer for me in the next few days as my schedule get yanked around a lot. Maybe Monday after work.
2014-01-11 9:36 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
No workout today... I finally have the weekend off work so I just stayed up all day so I Could sleep tonight with the wife. (If you haven't caught it in previous posts, I work night shift). I'm pretty beat right now even without the workout today. This is how I usually treat any weekend I have off work, so any Saturday I don't work is rest day. Tomorrow I have to get in a trainer ride that is over 1 hour to meet another of my goals before the end of the week and to get day 8 in on the challenge.

I spent the day driving around looking at cars for my little brother in law. He was a bike commuter, but evidently wasn't following all the rules of the road. He was hit by a car last week while riding in a crosswalk. The car turned into him and destroyed the bike, but luckily he wasn't hurt bad. The hand was red and he was riding, not walking, in the crosswalk, so the police determined it his fault. My wife wants us to buy him a car so he is safer at night and in the freezing cold, so I have been in the hunt... Blegh...

Moral of the story: follow the rules of the road and be cautious while riding. Not everybody is luck enough to walk away from being hit by a car...

2014-01-12 5:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
I set my alarm last night for 6:30 but woke up at 5:15 instead. There was no going back to sleep so I decided to make the most of the time. I got in a PT workout and even had time to squeeze in a 20 minute yoga workout. So if you add in the yoga workout - that's 17/30. Not to shabby huh Thor?

While Thor may disagree with me about counting the Yoga or the exercise, I am sure he would get behind the following statement - count whatever you need to count as long as it keeps you going. I do the PT and the yoga not because I love the excercises, but because I love triathlon and my body needs the PT and the stretching in order to keep doing the S/B/R. So, as we get deeper into the year, and the soreness increases and the motivation decreases do what you need to do to stay in the game.

When you have a minute today, please take a moment to go to our google doc and tally your goal totals for last week and write down your goals for next week. Please also take a moment to add to the list of topics for Topics of the Week. If there is anything else I can do to support you, please PM me.

Have an awesome day!

Edited by Qua17 2014-01-12 5:38 AM
2014-01-12 5:41 AM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Bradleykd

No workout today... I finally have the weekend off work so I just stayed up all day so I Could sleep tonight with the wife. (If you haven't caught it in previous posts, I work night shift). I'm pretty beat right now even without the workout today. This is how I usually treat any weekend I have off work, so any Saturday I don't work is rest day. Tomorrow I have to get in a trainer ride that is over 1 hour to meet another of my goals before the end of the week and to get day 8 in on the challenge.

I spent the day driving around looking at cars for my little brother in law. He was a bike commuter, but evidently wasn't following all the rules of the road. He was hit by a car last week while riding in a crosswalk. The car turned into him and destroyed the bike, but luckily he wasn't hurt bad. The hand was red and he was riding, not walking, in the crosswalk, so the police determined it his fault. My wife wants us to buy him a car so he is safer at night and in the freezing cold, so I have been in the hunt... Blegh...

Moral of the story: follow the rules of the road and be cautious while riding. Not everybody is luck enough to walk away from being hit by a car...

Getting hit by a car is my worst fear when it comes to tri. Well said Brad. Hope you get in a bike ride today so you can sit on the couch and enjoy a few tasty beverages.
2014-01-12 5:44 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

ok so first my swim was canceled because of weather, then due to the same weather I had to work traffic for a few hours. I finally made it to the gym and did my 3 miles but didn't enjoy it. tomorrow is my long run for the week.

No beer for me in the next few days as my schedule get yanked around a lot. Maybe Monday after work.

Bummer about the swim and having to put in the extra time at work, but kudos to you get making it to the gym and getting in the workout. Enjoy your long run today and let us know how it goes. Hopefully you won't get blown around too badly.

PS - I just noticed you were from NC - are you a NASCAR fan by any chance?
2014-01-12 8:13 AM

User image

Expert

Bummer about the swim and having to put in the extra time at work, but kudos to you get making it to the gym and getting in the workout. Enjoy your long run today and let us know how it goes. Hopefully you won't get blown around too badly.

2014-01-12 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by Juancho

I am also using Garmin 910, how do you connect it to BT?

This morning 1000m swim but the pool was too busy, last night spinning 45 min. Hope tomorrow go for a long run - trying to squeeze some workouts between kids basketball games, movies with friends, and lunch with in-laws.... is this relaxing? I guess so! At least enjoying a great Ribera del Duero red wine, Mauro, one of my favourites.

I use the same. What I do is select add todays workout either from the top training log drop down or from my log page. Then click which discipline it was. When that pops up click device upload then pick Garmin from the options. List activities will pop up under and click that. Pick your workout and that's it. It is actually a bunch easier than my explanation. Hope this helps. Since it uploaded to your Ant stick it's already on your computer and you don't need to do anything special.

2014-01-12 9:08 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Had a blast yesterday. I did a 1 mile mud run with my son. I wasn't expecting to do it just watch but another parent we were with was going and convinced me to run. It was so worth it and I'm glad I did. The knee hurt but who cares it was QT spent with my son laughing and playing in mud. So worth the pain.
2014-01-12 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
I know it's not much but with the high cost of nutrition I managed to get a code to share with this group from a sponsor. The Nuun and Fluid are real good discounts at 30% but the GU and other stuff are only 15% but that's better than nothing if you have to buy it anyways. Hope this will help you save some coin if you need.

Here is the email he sent for me to pass along, the code is near the bottom:

Welcome to FTM. Below you’ll find the details of your support from Feed The Machine. We’re here to help so if you have any questions about nutrition/hydration, please email [email protected] or call 866.279.8655.

Deal Details
· 50% off the retail price of SportMulti – vitamin and mineral supplement for athletes

· 30% off the retail price of Nuun and Fluid

· 15%+ off the retail price on everything else in the store

· Free shipping on orders over $50 when you enter the following code upon checking: freeshp14

All you need is to enter the following code when you register in the “enter club code” box: TXLUUT

Once you register using the code, the next time you log into your account, you’ll see all the discounted prices on the website. No need to re-enter the code.
2014-01-12 10:15 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Originally posted by Qua17

[

I don't mind going to a race but don't watch them on TV or keep up with the drivers. My in-laws live in charlotte and work for the speed channel though.
2014-01-12 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
9/31. 52 minutes on the trainer watching Carolina take it to SF. That Defense looks nasty. Seatle should hope SF can pull it off, because I don't see how they could move the ball against Carolina's D.
Had a setback in weight last night with popcorn and IPA's. Had a Hop Czar from Bridgeport brewery in Oregon. Lot's of hops and at 7.5%, it did the trick. Back on track for next week. Starting weight is 202.1 this week.
2014-01-12 2:12 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

17 miles in the book, took 2hrs 49min. Thx for the update on the Carolina game Kevin. I have to work and will miss it.

When y'all do long runs/bikes how do you get your water/gels? I take a gel every 6 miles and water every 3ish. Sorry if this seems basic I am really just getting into the long distance stuff.

as for beer once again no beer for me today

2014-01-12 3:44 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by Juancho I am also using Garmin 910, how do you connect it to BT? This morning 1000m swim but the pool was too busy, last night spinning 45 min. Hope tomorrow go for a long run - trying to squeeze some workouts between kids basketball games, movies with friends, and lunch with in-laws.... is this relaxing? I guess so! At least enjoying a great Ribera del Duero red wine, Mauro, one of my favourites.
Nice job! I am going to try one of your reds, assuming it isn't $50....:-)

No, they are not. Finding great wines at great price is one of my hobbies. If you pay 50 buck per bottles, no fun, it HAS to be a great wine!! And if you don´t find it in your area, let me know, I will send a sample or invite your if you travel to Spain. Actually, I am now producing my own wine, I have a small vineyard and sell the grapes to a friend of mine who is a wine produces, so I can do 300-400 bottles not to sell but to drink with friends and family. May be someday we could label a few bottles for this group with BDAAS in the label!

Today, great run: 10k and for the first time, under 5min per km.
2014-01-12 4:18 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by Burd

This morning 1000m swim but the pool was too busy, last night spinning 45 min. Hope tomorrow go for a long run - trying to squeeze some workouts between kids basketball games, movies with friends, and lunch with in-laws.... is this relaxing? I guess so! At least enjoying a great Ribera del Duero red wine, Mauro, one of my favourites.

I use the same. What I do is select add todays workout either from the top training log drop down or from my log page. Then click which discipline it was. When that pops up click device upload then pick Garmin from the options. List activities will pop up under and click that. Pick your workout and that's it. It is actually a bunch easier than my explanation. Hope this helps. Since it uploaded to your Ant stick it's already on your computer and you don't need to do anything special.

Thanks Alex! Just did it, quite simple as you suggested. Just need to find out why now workout is listed (most likely because I previously downloaded it in garminconnect.com, will try tomorrow to log the workout here first and then in the Garmin web). Very useful!
2014-01-12 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

17 miles in the book, took 2hrs 49min. Thx for the update on the Carolina game Kevin. I have to work and will miss it.

When y'all do long runs/bikes how do you get your water/gels? I take a gel every 6 miles and water every 3ish. Sorry if this seems basic I am really just getting into the long distance stuff.

On my rides I plan to pass a water fountain every 2 hours or so when the bottles are empty. The gels I just keep in my jersey. Now I added a rear cage so I'm good for 4 hours. For my run I haven't gone real long yet but I used a fuel belt and when it gets longer I just will plan a route that passes my house when my belt is empty. I also heard of people stashing water bottles in bushes along the route but I don't know what they do with the empty ones
2014-01-12 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Originally posted by Burd

Thanks Alex! Just did it, quite simple as you suggested. Just need to find out why now workout is listed (most likely because I previously downloaded it in garminconnect.com, will try tomorrow to log the workout here first and then in the Garmin web). Very useful!

It should be there still. Mine get auto uploaded to garminconnect and then I do the BT one. I did notice that it knows the workout day so if I try to upload yesterdays workout under todays list it won't show up but if I go to my log and click add workout under the needed day it will show up. You have to actually be clicking add from the log on the day the workout was done. Kinda crazy how it matches the days up. I guess it's so you don't have a million workouts to pick from each day you log it. So say if you want to upload Fridays workout on Sunday you need to go to your log page and next to Fridays date click the add activity and select it that way or it won't show up. The only time you can do it from the top drop down is when it is for the current day.

I hope this is what you were wondering about
2014-01-12 4:38 PM

User image

Lansing, Michigan
I'm impressed that you have enough will power on a long run to stop at your house to refuel then get back at it. I have to plan out an backs, other wise I'd talk myself out of the second loop.

2014-01-12 5:20 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Nice run.
Nutrition is going to be very person specific. I tend to run on the high end of intake side of things. If I run over 1 hr, I will use gel and water. anything under an hour, and I just fuel up after workout. For runs of 20+ miles, I start popping get at the 45-50 min. mark. (around 6-7 miles) I then take a gel every 25 minutes. (every 3-4 miles) For a marathon, I will take in as many as 7-9 gels, depending on if it's a summer or fall run. I don't like cramping. For anything over an hour, I carry water and take 2 good pulls at each mile (8-9ish min/per drink). I easily consume 70 oz.+ water in a marathon, but like I said, I tend to run on the over nutrition side of things. If I fall under, I cramp in my legs, and that's no fun.

Bike, I tend to take a bottle/hour. Long rides over 2 hours I will do as many sport drink bottles as straight water.

2014-01-12 5:25 PM
in reply to: ervaller

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by ervaller

I'm impressed that you have enough will power on a long run to stop at your house to refuel then get back at it. I have to plan out an backs, other wise I'd talk myself out of the second loop.
x2. I carry all my water in a 70 oz. camelback style pack. When I was up and running, for the amount of runs I did, this was the easiest way to stay hydrated. just pack it on your back.
2014-01-12 5:34 PM
in reply to: ervaller

User image

Originally posted by ervaller

I second that, I don't even like breaking stride to grab bottles.

Thx for the advise. I have been staging water bottles on a picnic table at our academy. I tried moving it down to the road but one half drank bottle was taken. It adds about .25 to my 3 mile loop. I also don't do water or gels unless its 6 miles or more. Sounds like I'm in the ball park.
2014-01-12 6:03 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
7/31--75min trainer ride after driving back from the in-law's house. I'm zeroing in on my bike fit, so it is getting more pleasant each ride. My wife decided to spend the week at her folks' house, so I'm alone this week. This means three things...1.) training will be less likely to get off track due to family stuff, 2.) I'll be way more productive at work because I'll get to go in way early when my brain is most producive (like 4am), and 3.) there will be beer! Tonight's reward for a weekend with the in-laws is Leinenkugel's berry weiss (yep, another fruit beer!) and a Snowdrift vanilla porter, both of which are good. Classes start again tomorrow, so back to a regular schedule and a semi-full gym (especially the first two weeks of classes).
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.