General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-02-18 2:47 PM
in reply to: CincyMom

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
Welcome Erin, it is my responsibility(self imposed) to be sure all who join are worthy of membership into this elite unit of the worlds finest weekend warrior, slightly overweight, possibly at time under motivate "try"athletes (Please keep in mind the group does not necessarily support or condone the opinions I express within So lets see, we have required a level 12 cleric, pondered Monty Python's greatest questions, offered cookies to join the dark side and inquired about pants on a donkey (surprisingly no one ever commented on that, I thought it was hilarious!) For you my friend, you who hails from The Queen City, what trial must you pass to join our group of merry bandits... Ahhhhh perhaps the ancient test of purity!!! To join this group one must be pure of mind, strict training of a triathlete demands no distraction from lewd or impure thoughts. To be accepted as one of us, answer these questions 3:

What does a cow have four of and woman only two?
What is a four letter word ending in K that means to have intercourse?
What is it on a man that is round, hard, and sticks so far out his pajamas that you can hang a hat on it?

Good luck

2014-02-18 5:57 PM
in reply to: diablo243

User image

New user
These questions made me LOL, then they made me think.. then they made me obsess until I figured it out!! Challenge accepted

So, good sir, upon much reflection the answers you seek are legs.... talk.... and head....

BAM!! Hehe
2014-02-18 6:06 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by CincyMom

These questions made me LOL, then they made me think.. then they made me obsess until I figured it out!! Challenge accepted

So, good sir, upon much reflection the answers you seek are legs.... talk.... and head....

BAM!! Hehe

Sign her up!

I have to admit, I got stuck on talk!
2014-02-18 6:09 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by diablo243

Welcome Erin, it is my responsibility(self imposed)...

...May be self imposed, but recognized by everyone! Our group has the greatest welcoming committee!
2014-02-18 6:15 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut

BAM!! Hehe

Congrats you my friend are pure of mind and are welcomed into the fold!

Ok so if you so choose you can get 1 more question, answer this final question and not only will you be in this group but also a member of the Ancient and Honorable Order of Turtles. Do you dare? And btw this is a real thing lol, you get a membership card and everything! So got what it takes?
2014-02-18 6:22 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by ceilidh

I finally got new running shoes this weekend. I tried them out and they seem to be just right. No hitting the incision spot, no blisters, I hope they work. i need to get my run going. It is slow enough going with the surgery recovery, let alone with painful shoes. It is a shame, my "old" shoes are pretty new. I would not have guessed that the surgery would have affected my foot shape so much.

Running shoes that are just right seem to be like a Goldielocks story... Some are too much of this or that, others are too little, but when you find "just right" it's a great day!

2014-02-18 6:24 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Quick update:

I'm doing a C25K style program, and I started week 2 yesterday. On the 9th I walked 1K at 10:04. The goal yesterday was to walk 1K 10% quicker, ergo my goal was 9-flat. I ended up walking 1K at 9:08... so close! of course I kept walking and my second 1K was 8:57... Tonight is strength training, and tomorrow is running 1K 10% quicker than last week... fingers crossed!

On Saturday, we joined the Y in downtown Memphis. I went this morning for a physical eval. I was mildly surprised! My body fat and HR recovery was unsurprisingly sub-par. However, all of the fitness tests came back with me being average for a 40-yr old... quite happy. As a bonus, my flexibility test came back way ABOVE average! Very happy with that, but it's also kind of sad because I've lost a lot of flexibility over the last few years.

Rick

Great progress, keep it up!
2014-02-18 6:24 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ

BAM!! Hehe

Congrats you my friend are pure of mind and are welcomed into the fold!

Ok so if you so choose you can get 1 more question, answer this final question and not only will you be in this group but also a member of the Ancient and Honorable Order of Turtles. Do you dare? And btw this is a real thing lol, you get a membership card and everything! So got what it takes?

I like turtles!
2014-02-18 6:26 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ

So for people that have been reading since the beginning or have joined late and read all the posts to catch up, I have posted in the past I have a heart thing that I was born with. I have no medical restrictions but sometimes it pops up during activity and basically what happens is a take a quick pause, 1 HUGE beat then goes into a rapid beat. Use a breathing technique I can usually get it to go back into sync pretty quick, but tonight at the end of my bike workout it happened! Why do I seem excited about this, well because for the first time ever I had my heart rate monitor on and caught the data while it happened!!! Over the years the docs have had me wear 48 hour ekg monitor things but it never happened while I was wearing the thing, so here is a little look into my heart during its tripping out phase:

photo heartspike_zps3059d625.png

Can you see the spike?!?! lol that's a 238bpm spike right there

Dude! That's one hell of a spike! That would scare me for sure. Can you/have you shown it to your Dr.?
2014-02-18 6:30 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by flip18436572

I rarely get on here for some reason.  I have been doing little workouts as my time allows, but I got in 40 laps last night at the pool, before I had to do other things.  Tonight I have meetings after work, but hope to get on the treadmill sometime before I go to bed.  Up at 4:40 in the morning and getting home from work after 6:00 is just burning me out.

I hear you on trying to find time to workout. As much as I don't like waking up at 4:45 or 5am, I've found that my "miss" rate goes through the roof on evening workouts. Mentally drained after work, gym is too crowded, other activities getting in the way, and so on and so on. If I don't get it done early, I probably won't get it done. Plus, I keep telling myself, most triathlons start at 7am or so...
2014-02-18 6:37 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Yardville, NJ
My workout update...

Monday - 2:15 on the treadmill. Ran 10.8 miles. My longest run to date, but slower than I would have liked. I realized I hadn't run in 6 days (damn snow!) and it took my almost 4 miles to warm up.

Today - up at 5am, rode 10 miles on the trainer in 45 minutes. Easy spin, nothing too hard after yesterday's long run. Note: still tweeting the Adamo saddle, but seems better than the old saddle.

Tomorrow - alarm set for 4:45. 5:30am TRX class. Last week's kicked my butt and I am actually looking forward to more tomorrow.

2014-02-18 7:28 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Had a good interval taper run tonight, legs felt a little stiff after shoveling but cardio endurance felt good.

Ok so here is the deal, and I should have thought with the 3 questions prior to have had the answers messaged to me, but oh well. SO if anyone is interested in being inducted into the Order of the Turtle MESSAGE me the answer to the below question, please don;t put answer in thread and use the honor system and don't Google answer:

What does a woman do sitting down, a dog on three legs and a man standing up?

Remember to be a turtle one must be pure of mind If you get the answer and become a turtle the deal is no matter where or when if someone asks you if you are a turtle then you must answer with the password (which you get if you answer correct) If you refuse to answer for any reason then you must buy a drink for every Turtle present at the time. Pretty simple, and cool history, the group started during WWII and is world wide.

REMEMBER message me the answer don't post it for everyone to see!

Pool tomorrow for a relaxed 15 mins and then 15 min drills, Saturday is coming quick!
2014-02-18 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4916495

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Okay... this is why I'm here. This is where I have to ask for help.

I am starting my swim regimen on Friday. Problem is, I'm not sure how to train... I can swim very well, but have never done it for speed and/or distance. The Y has a 25yd pool, and I know the MLH tri group is planning open water swim dates before May. So... what is the most tried and true method of going from 0 to 18 laps by May 12th? I will be swimming on Mondays and Fridays
2014-02-18 8:36 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
18 laps by May, piece I cake! First off plan on twice a week minimum, not sure what you can do for distance currently but I'll assume you can swim a 100 straight. Start week 1 with a 4 x 100 set 2 min rest between. After your set spend 15 mins doing drills to work on whatever your week spots are, stroke, kick, body roll, etc. Next week add an extra 50 to each set and boom you have just swam a total of 24 lengths or 12 laps. Third week do the same set but reduce rest to 1 min, fourth week go back to 4 x 100 but reduce to 30 sec rest between. Fifth week move to 2 x 200 with 1 min rest six 2 x 300, seven 400 straight... And so on you can see how it goes till you get your distance. I'll bet after week 3 you'll find your stamina really jumps and you can prob go a 500 straight. Step it like I said though and you'll be there in no time! Good luck!
2014-02-19 6:06 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Pool tomorrow for a relaxed 15 mins and then 15 min drills, Saturday is coming quick!

You are gonna do fine!

2014-02-19 8:20 AM

User image

Originally posted by Mfechter67
I hear you on trying to find time to workout. As much as I don't like waking up at 4:45 or 5am, I've found that my "miss" rate goes through the roof on evening workouts. Mentally drained after work, gym is too crowded, other activities getting in the way, and so on and so on. If I don't get it done early, I probably won't get it done. Plus, I keep telling myself, most triathlons start at 7am or so...

That's how I am... evening workouts tend to get lost in the shuffle. Especially since my wife works nights, so I have the 4 kiddos by myself.

18 laps by May, piece I cake! First off plan on twice a week minimum, not sure what you can do for distance currently but I'll assume you can swim a 100 straight. Start week 1 with a 4 x 100 set 2 min rest between. After your set spend 15 mins doing drills to work on whatever your week spots are, stroke, kick, body roll, etc. Next week add an extra 50 to each set and boom you have just swam a total of 24 lengths or 12 laps. Third week do the same set but reduce rest to 1 min, fourth week go back to 4 x 100 but reduce to 30 sec rest between. Fifth week move to 2 x 200 with 1 min rest six 2 x 300, seven 400 straight... And so on you can see how it goes till you get your distance. I'll bet after week 3 you'll find your stamina really jumps and you can prob go a 500 straight. Step it like I said though and you'll be there in no time! Good luck!

I will find out Friday what my baseline is. It's been a while. We were in Galveston last summer, and I didn't do much swimming there either. The plan is Monday/Friday AM swims.

Rick

2014-02-19 10:42 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I am a TURTLE!!!

2014-02-19 1:57 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
helpful hint of the day. Make sure you sleep well. I was a little tired yesterday and my HR kept going over the max level I want it to be near the end of my last 2 intervals intervals. Last night I got a little more sleep and It did not hit that mark until the very end. Plus I extend the run .02 miles and the last set .05 miles. I ran father and had a better workout.

I am trying to keep my hr in zone 2 for most of my works. Doing inverals can let me get used to running at the faster speed without falling into zone 3. I getting to the point where I wonder if I should go into zone 3 from time to time. Not sure if my body is ready for that.
2014-02-19 7:15 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
I second that, it has amazed me what a physical toll lack of sleep can take on ur body in a very short period of time. The thing that sucks for me is I NEVER sleep the night before race night, mind won't stop and inevitably I get just a handful of hours. I'm happy my race for this Saturday start is at 11:05, so good chance I'll actually get some sleep
2014-02-19 8:49 PM
in reply to: #4951777

I feel like I haven't posted in forever. Started off strong last week and then it's been kinda downhill since. I was out of town all weekend for a funeral, and then since I've been back, my ankle has been extremely sore. Don't know the reason it's been sore, didn't twist it or anything like that. I was able to lift weights and swim today, I was just cautious when pushing off the wall. Hopefully this will pass soon.

Catching up on all that's been going on in this thread, I saw people were sharing their tricks for counting laps. I just had this conversation today with a coworker who swims. I read a while ago somebody say they break their sets up into 100s mentally and spell a four letter word, one letter per length of the pool, with the first letter of each word progressing through the alphabet. For example, if I were swimming a 300, the first 100 would be a-n-t-s, the second bats, the third cats. If I were doing a 500 I would go up to "e." It seems to work for me, I have a much easier time with that than just trying to simply count the laps, especially for longer sets.

Have a great end to the week all!
2014-02-20 8:14 AM

User image

Okay, I tried to post this yesterday and ended up creating a new thread... weird

Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Yesterday's run didn't go quite as planned. My 1K last Wed was 7:57, so my goal (-10%) last night was 7:09. I took off into a bit of a headwind, but I pushed through it until I could turn the corner and head back with the wind at my back... Didn't work, lol! by the time I turned the corner I was breathing like a walrus trying to go up a set of stairs... Even with a push at the end, I ended up at 7:24. I'm bummed that I didn't get to my goal time, but I'm stoked because it is an improvement.

Tonight is strength training.

I finally got a good full-body strength regimen nailed down. After I worked through everything (with minimal rest between sets and exercises), I felt really good. I also noted where I need to add "weight"... Okay, I need to add "weight" to all exercises, but I started on the low end of the scale to remind myself of form more than pushing "weight"...

BTW, when I use "weight" in quotes like that it's because when I'm lifting at home, I'm using an old Bowflex, and I know that what it says I'm lifting is really not what I'm lifting :D

Rick

2014-02-20 8:29 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Had a good easy brick workout tonight, prior to my workout I tried a new product called UCAN. I won't try to explain the science behind it but basically it is a super starch you drink a half hour prior to workout or event and it gives you solid energy with no blood sugar spikes or GI disturbance for up to 3 hrs. Check it out here:

http://www.generationucan.com/

USAT is using it and I will say, wow I noticed a real difference even in a light workout. The real test will be Saturday but I am hopeful it will give me the same extra umpf it did tonight through the whole event!

So big question, pre race dinner, what should I eat tomorrow night? Thoughts, suggestions, recipes?
2014-02-21 5:38 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ

So big question, pre race dinner, what should I eat tomorrow night? Thoughts, suggestions, recipes?

I will never claim to be a nutrition expert, but some of what I've been reading is that the big pre-race carb rich meal may not be the best thing. It can take up to 24 hours to digest and gain the benefits. Having a big dinner the night before can actually leave you too full to eat breakfast on race morning.

So, my two cents for today...
Eat a good solid breakfast today, maybe 2 eggs or pancakes, etc. Eat smart throughout the day, balance your carbs and protein. Stay away from fatty foods. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Eat something for dinner that you know will not give you any GI issues.

Race day morning, my favorite is a English muffin with peanut butter. And yes, I always have my morning coffee. Many avoid it, but I need it and it doesn't give me any issue.

The best rule of thumb for today and race day, don't do anything new. Trust your training and your planning. You have trained hard and smart and you will do great!
2014-02-21 6:01 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by diablo243 Had a good easy brick workout tonight, prior to my workout I tried a new product called UCAN. I won't try to explain the science behind it but basically it is a super starch you drink a half hour prior to workout or event and it gives you solid energy with no blood sugar spikes or GI disturbance for up to 3 hrs. Check it out here: http://www.generationucan.com/USAT is using it and I will say, wow I noticed a real difference even in a light workout. The real test will be Saturday but I am hopeful it will give me the same extra umpf it did tonight through the whole event! So big question, pre race dinner, what should I eat tomorrow night? Thoughts, suggestions, recipes?

I have a good buddy who does multiple IMs each year and he LOVES UCAN. He had some awful GI issues at one IM and searched for a fuel that worked and wouldn't cause problems. UCAN is what answered and he notices the extra Oomph he has.

I agree a BIG carb dinner is not the way to go but a carb dinner is what works for me. Just do not overeat. pasta is digested pretty darn fast so it is usually a safe bet for avoiding GI issues. I, too have PB on toast or an english muffin a couple of hours before a race. I use Infinit sports drinks so I have that before the race and I also have my morning coffee. The word is not ready for me without coffee..... EVER!

Don't do anything new, try to sleep tonight and HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!

2014-02-21 8:45 AM

User image

Hey all, Looking to join your group!

What questions three must I answer thee?

A bit about me.
Ive been training for 10 months - started out w\ C25K.
Ran three 5ks last year.
I started out at about 263 (that was my peak that I weighted in at, but I may have been heavier at some point).
I am now down to 227 This AM, but was at a low of 223 before the holidays.

I was hoping to be at 210 for my race on 4/13, but not sure I am going to get there.
Still shooting for it, but if I don't get there I wont quit.

So I am signed up for the Coco tri on 4/13.
If you will have me, I will let you contemplate my questions on the tree of woe.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28162 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100350 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?