2007-05-18 3:27 PM
in reply to: #633528

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-05-18 3:40 PM

Subject: RE: Betsy's Tri-BAMFs
HI TEAM!!!

Rene--like you said, life is taking over training. I'm doing this study abroad trip to Europe all summer as I'm sure I've said and we had pre-trip classes/meetings/etc for the past two weeks and up until monday. i fly out wednesday morning. i can't wait. regardless, i'm focusing on my marathon training (Disney in Jan) this summer.

anyways, just thought i would update yall. i won't post so much over the summer b/c i'm not taking a computer and i'm at the mercy of others to check my email but i will let yall know how my runs are going when i can.

Betsy--omg, good luck. My boyfriend Alex and his friends are doing it and he's so pissed that i can't be there to watch but i've got two tests monday morning and no way to get there. you're going to do awesome. he called me just now and told me that he got to talk to luke bell!

shef--congrats! you rock!

Carrie--i'm so jealous, but then again, i'm traveling europe this summer. hehe.

everyone---i love you guys!

-Jessie
2007-05-18 4:45 PM

Betsy here is your good luck MOJO>>>>>>>>XOXOXOXOXOOXOXXO

Go kick some a......!   Good Luck!

Yes I am still alive.....just been real busy........Eric

2007-05-21 4:41 PM

2007-05-23 3:24 PM

Way to go, Betsy! Can't wait for the race report...

Have fun in the Caribbean and Europe, Carrie and Jessie!

Salain: Birch recommended Jeff Galloway and I have been running without injury (fingers-crossed) for over 4 months now. He uses a run-walk method that has really worked for me.
www.jeffgalloway.com

For me, home improvement projects are almost complete so I should be back to a 6-day training schedule soon. My doctor cleared me to swim again...with ear plugs, so next week should be almost back to normal.

Train on, everyone!
Rene
2007-05-23 3:39 PM

Regular
Betsy, I just read your race log and from my perspective you did AWESOME! Congratulations...I look forward to a 1/2 within the next year. I found out that there is another Disney Tri in September but I think this one is coming up a little too quick for me to be ready. I'm headed to the lake this afternoon to complete an open water swim with my training team. We have been training hard for this 1/2 mile and I'm getting anxious. I think I can, I think I can, I KNOW I can. I had a fairly good week of training so far and will finish strong.

We are finally getting upto the lake house for a long weekend and I plan on getting another open water swim in...my husband agreed to ride along side me on the jet ski so this should be interesting. I'm looking forward to some fun in the sun, time with my family, a little relaxation and of course I'll keep training.

2 1/2 weeks to the Danskin!

2007-05-26 10:20 AM
in reply to: #814074

2007-05-31 9:18 AM

2007-06-01 7:25 AM

Regular
Thinking the same thing! I'm here and getting ready for the Danskin....one week and counting. The Cap Tex tri here in Austin was canceled due to heavy rains and high bacteria levels in the water. I pray that this next week is dry!

Our team is headed to the lake again on Sunday to swim another 1/2 mile...I'm actually excited about this one because I know now that I can do it. We are then going to bike a short distance and run the 3 mile course. Knowing the route and being prepared really helps my anxiety. I can honestly say that I am finally enjoying my swim. I didn't think it would EVER happen but I have so much more confidence in the water. I'm looking forward to another tri after this one and plan to "try" a longer distance event next time.

Wake up out there and keep training....or at least let us know how everyone is doing.
2007-06-01 8:33 AM

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh

hi gang! i am still here & still training,  but the past few weeks have been nuts...BUT... the insanity is OVER! I am done with the old job, done with the daycare saga, and  while i'm still recovering from mono for a few more weeks, i'm feeling a lot better. I just have to listen to the bod and rest when it tells me to do so.

it  feels like a 100lb monkey has jumped off of my back.... now all i have to do is concentrate on the career search, having fun w/ my little one, and of course training!!! which i have to say is going great. It's nice to have a little time to focus on these things.  My coach has been helping me build muscle + endurance; I see marked improvement from week to week. Specifically I've seen a huge improvement in my endurance w/ squats, lunges, and of course improved run times, in a month we've shaved 3 min of of my time... at present i'm just @/under a 12 min mi that feels GOOD!  I realize that may be a wu for some of you but it rocks for me.  Having started at arnd 15 min miles.  our mutual goal is to get me to 10 min mile times by race day so i can do the 5k @ 30 or slightly over.

2007-06-04 8:19 AM

Regular
I need some advice. I swam the 1/2 mile Danskin course yesterday with my team and followed it by a 3.1 mile run. I got sick about half way home. I drank plenty of water...maybe too much but I felt like crap the rest of the day. What did I do wrong? It was about 90 degrees when we started running and there was no shade on the course. I did eat a shot gel right after the swim. I'm a little concerned about race weekend, 90 + degrees is predicted for race day. What should I be drinking/eating between each leg? When I did the Rookie-Tri the distanced was shorter and it was much cooler.

2007-06-04 1:37 PM
in reply to: #828132

2007-06-04 1:39 PM

2007-06-05 7:56 AM

Regular
Hello all! It sounds like you've had a busy past few weeks! I have been in Europe, visiting friends who are studying abroad in Munich and Freiburg. My friend from the latter university accompanied me on a small circuit: Strasbourg (France), Munich, Vienna, Salzburg, Basel, and back to Freiburg. I returned last night to Phoenix and, evidenced by my current state of consciousness, I am very jet-lagged. Going to try to get up in an hour or so to bike, get some exercise. Along with miles of walking each day, we did go on a few difficult (upward!) climbs. Had a great time. I fly to Boston in only two short days... there is the matter of getting my bike there as well, but as soon as I get settled I shall resume training as aggressively as my job allows. It's good to be back, Team!

Chris
2007-06-05 2:23 PM

2007-06-07 7:56 AM

Regular
Just thought I would share with you guys...I've been journaling off line to all of my friends and family about my progress in training. This was my final entry to them before race day. I'm not sure if I will post another entry here until next week (post race update) but if I don't, I want to make sure and thank each of you...especially Betsy, for helping me get to this point. As I stated below, it's been an amazing ride. I can honestly say that this will not be my last triathlon, I'm hooked on this sport and look forward to improving my distances and times in the future. The confidence and self-estem that I've developed is amazing and so empowering. Thanks again for all the encouragement and advice.

Dear Friends and Family:

I can't believe it's almost here one week until race day! It has been an amazing ride and I'm so ready to compete on June 10th. As I reflect back on my training progress since last October, I'm amazed that I'm finally where I need to be....it just took 9 months to get here. I laugh at some personal notes I wrote in my journal such as: barely got thru the mile run today...boy am I tired. Or will I ever be able to swim more than 2 laps without feeling exhausted? My favorite one is: I bit it hard on the bike today, bruised my knees and elbow...feeling very anxious about a 12 mile bike run!

Well I'm happy to say that I can now swim a half mile in open water, I can bike 12 + miles without falling and I can run 3.1 miles without collapsing. I have tested my ability at the Rookie Mini-Tri back in May, and although I had a bike malfunction, I was able to finish strong and actually surprised myself on the swim and run. I also ran a 5K at the Texas Roundup and completed my first 9 minute mile...something I haven't done since then, guess the adrenaline helped me. My knee is holding up well and my left leg has never felt so strong! When my surgeon cleared me to train and compete last year, he asked for a picture of me crossing the finish line and I can't wait to send it to him.

I have learned many valuable life lessons thru this process and I give God all the glory and honor for each of them. I have learned to appreciate a strong and healthy body, something we can take for granted at times. I've learned that when you just don't think you can keep going, to find a verse that will give you a boost such as; "I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me". I've learned to find someone that can motivate you and support you as you train. Nancy Overesch has been my angel in training. Thanks for all your advice Nancy! I've learned to think positively and never use the words, "can't" or "try"...you either will or you won't, trying is not an option. It's a little ironic that they call this event a "tri" athlon. And finally, never loose site of the ones you are really competing for; Mom, Shelly and Mike...all fighters and survivors.

I've been told that the Austin Danskin will bring in thousands of women from all over central Texas and to be prepared for an emotional day, especially when the survivors parade in wearing their pink caps. I ask that you pray for good weather, safe travels, safety of all competitors, and strength and endurance. The event is open to spectators and I would love to have each of you there if you can make it...we are all going to need the encouragement! I'll send a post race update following the event and a few pics...my professional photographers, Mom and Dad Jones, will be there with their cameras!

Love to all.

"I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

2007-06-08 8:00 AM

2007-06-08 8:49 AM

Regular
Hello guys!!

I'm in Boston! I need a map. BADLY. Roomie is nice, he's offered to show me the nearest pool! With any luck, I'll be swimming again this next week after my long hiatus. I went walking to the grocery store last night and saw no less than THIRTY RUNNERS! There's a bike/running path nearby which I might explore tonight, a nice slow jog to get me back into things.

More later,
Good luck with training and races!
2007-06-11 9:07 AM

2007-06-11 9:07 AM

Edited by betsy 2007-06-11 9:08 AM
2007-06-11 11:12 AM

Regular
The Danskin was AWESOME and I finished in under 2 hours. I don't have my exact times yet but I'll post a race log when I know for sure. This was one of the most incredible experiences of my life and I'm so ready to do it again. In fact, I'm competeing in another Tri on August 5th with the exact same distances. Can you say, HOOKED! My 11 year old son is going to do his first Tri next spring (already signed up for training) and my husband has vowed to do the Rookie Tri with me next May. This has turned into a family afair and I can't think of a better way to spent time together. Anyway, more to come later in the week!

2007-06-12 11:26 PM

I'm back...

I managed to buy a house, go to the Bahamas to watch one of my best friends get married and then to Arkansas for a triathlon for Matt - all in the past month...but I am back. Doc finally diagnosed me with a torn patella tendon. And I still have this nagging hematoma. Physical therapy three days a week (which is really difficult when you work at least 2 hours from home/PT). I am still not allowed to run. YET. I am optimistic and very positive about my return to triathlons...ok, ok, so I have only done one and I didn't even get to run in that one...

ANYWHO - I have been reading everyone's logs and reading our bulletin. WOW is all I can say!! Y'all have been ROCKING!! I am so impressed and proud of y'all!! Keep up the good work.

I imagine that part of each of us joining was semi-part of a New Year's Resolution. We are almost half-way through 2007. It is time to recharge and refocus. We need to stay on course for the remainder of 2007!! (ok, this is primarily for me)

2007-06-13 8:06 AM

Regular

My final times were 26 minutes on the swim, T1 4:22, 47:59 on the bike, T2 2:53, 34:58 on the run for an overall time of 1:57. My ranking was 264 out of 477 in my age group of 35-39 (running in the middle) and overall I came in 1267 out of 2601 (again about in the middle). The winner of the event was a 14 year old little girl by the name of Avery Visser, she completed the entire event in 1:08 minutes!

I now start training for my final Triathlon this season on August 5th. My focus is to improve my swim times and transition times. The run for this next tri is on a flat course so I expect to be at least 10.5 minute miles. My competative side is coming out...now I just want to kick some butt!!! Nothing feels better then to pass someone younger than you, it's a GREAT motivator.

Busy week at work this week. I'm headed to Colorado and then to Florida the following week but plan to keep up my training. I still need to post my race log...just gotta find sometime to do it.

Take care!

2007-06-14 8:46 AM

2007-06-14 9:53 AM

Hey everyone.....I hope everyone's summer is going well. Just when I thought my time would free up from running between two preshcools. Now its swim practice and Soccer and now tball. Plus trying to fit in the fun activities for the kids....I continue to attempt to get out and run and train, but it always seems like there are projects and family things to do. I know everyone else seems to get things accomplished.....If i could only be a morning person and get out there and get going at 5am. I suppose that has alot to do with staying up till 12pm.....For those of you keep posting on my log thanks...I do appreciate the support and yes I am still out here......lol........By the way I still have two tickets for Cubs vs Card on Aug 19........Anyways enjoy the nice weather.....xoxooxoxoxoxox
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Betsy's Tri-BAMFs Rss Feed  

of 27