Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2007-05-05 9:41 AM
in reply to: #645139

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL

Hey Guys,

Great races! Looking forward to hearing about other during the next few weeks.

I am doing 10K race tomorrow. Then the next is a Duathlon (4k,24k,4k) on May 21st. Looking forward that.

Good luck all.

2007-05-05 10:08 AM

User image

Whelp, I didn't race this morning. I stayed up for a good portion of the night hacking and coughing. I woke up around 4:30 and my wife asked me if I was sure if I should race. I said no, but I wanted to get ready and go just in case I started feeling better. But I didn't feel any better by the time we were half way there, so we turned around.

Although I'm disappointed, it was the right decision. I need to get healthy because I have another tri in two weeks.

Good luck to you Rich on your race.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Benson
2007-05-06 11:21 AM

User image

Veteran

Just back from the Sporting Life 10k race and believe it or not, I finished with a PB. Completed in 56M 24S, that's a 1 minute improvement on my best to date 10k finish.

I think I'm finally injury free, and it feels good.

You can check out my Race Report for more details.

2007-05-06 11:41 AM

User image

Beaverton, Oregon

Completed my first sprint tri yesterday. I've been tapering for the last 4 weeks :-0 - believe me not a good idea. My swim was horrible - I finished almost DFL for the entire field. However, for the bike (13.5 miles) I finished around 80/200 and 75/200 for the run (5K). So in the end I finished right around the middle of the field, 105/200. My most disappointing stat was finishing near the back of my class (40-44).

So, some things I learned:

1. A poor swim doesn't kill you if you are strong on the bike. Making up 5 minutes on the bike is doable.

2. However, a strong bike will not save you if you have a horrible swim.

3. In training, swim for endurance not only speed.

4. Do at least one brick w/o (bike/run) per week. OUCH!

2007-05-07 5:37 AM
in reply to: #790391

User image

Veteran

Hey Paul, that's a great time and catching up on the bike and run is great. What happened with the swim? Was it just further than you thought or was the water too cold?

Good learnings and you'll be stronger for the next one.

2007-05-07 10:33 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
GREAT JOB ON YOUR RACES! You are eaching taking something from your race. Where you did good? Where you did bad? Where can you improve? What would you do differently! Good work....

AND KUDOS to DISCO for being SMART! THAT HAS TO BE HARD! BUT YOU WILL FEEL BETTER IN 2 weeks, and be ready for that race... Although I think that nerves made me feel sick for my 1st race! Hang in there!

2007-05-07 10:36 AM
in reply to: #790897

User image

Beaverton, Oregon

No, I'm just a really poor swimmer.  I'm still trying to learn how to swim & breathe even when tired.  But, yes, I learned a lot. 

Thx 

2007-05-12 12:09 PM

User image

Veteran

Well just did my first outside Brick workout of the season: 

Felt good to be on the bike outside. Nice area to cycle and fairly quiet. Rolling hills that kept things interesting. Completed 25k in 1hr 4minutes, not trying too hard, just keeping a nice easy pace.

Run was good too. Felt good to loosen the legs after a ride. Was a nice easy paced run.

Weather was sunny but pretty cool to start, so had to wear a jacket and gloves too. Long pants also came in handy.

Overall I think I'm ready for the Victorias Duathlon a week on Monday, I don't think I'll blase any speed records, but I will complete it.

2007-05-13 12:27 PM

User image

Finally got around to writing my race report for St Anthony's.
Link here.
2007-05-13 12:52 PM
in reply to: #798704

User image

Veteran

mdelder - 2007-05-13 1:27 PM Finally got around to writing my race report for St Anthony's. Link here.

Good report and a great way for us all to learn from other racers.

What is your next race?

2007-05-13 4:06 PM
in reply to: #798704

User image

Beaverton, Oregon

I grew up in St. Petersburg.  Sure do miss the nice weather!

Where was the swim? 

2007-05-13 4:24 PM

User image

-----
    I grew up in St. Petersburg. Sure do miss the nice weather!
    Where was the swim?
    -----
The swim was from the beach area (Spa Beach) beside the pier. We swam out towards the end of the pier, took a left for a distance, then took another left back to the stairs leading up the seawall at Vinoy Park. I wasn't expecting to have to climb steps at the end of the swim, but there were people there helping us out.

-----
    Good report and a great way for us all to learn from other racers.
    What is your next race?
    -----
No plans yet for another race. I would like to do another sprint this summer sometime. My sister is talking me into doing the Disney full marathon in Jan 08 -- a first for us both. I'm not psyched about it (26 mi?!?), but I enjoy a challenge and the training company. I'll let you know.
2007-05-14 10:16 AM

User image

Pro
MDELDER GREAT JOB ON THE RACE! I really hope that you enjoyed the experience. From what I understand that is a great race--- both course wise, and organization wise!

One thing that you had mentioned was on the run how hot it was, but your body felt ok.... It was your mind! A couple of suggestions--- I agree with you when you said do a few more brick workouts (ABSOLUTELY!). But my suggestion to you is do a few more brick workouts MIDDAY! I know that it is REALLY HOT, HUMID, AND MUGGY DOWN THERE, but the only way you will get used to running in that type of condition is to do it! It will not only train you physically, but it will also train you mentally. You will learn what your body can. How far can you push yourself? How long can you go without water? Can I skip this aid station, etc..?

Great job and continue the good work!

MARATHON in 08???

HECK YEAH! WE ONLY LIVE ONCE! DO IT!
2007-05-14 11:28 AM
in reply to: #799559

User image

swbkrun - 2007-05-14 11:16 AM

One thing that you had mentioned was on the run how hot it was, but your body felt ok.... It was your mind! A couple of suggestions--- I agree with you when you said do a few more brick workouts (ABSOLUTELY!). But my suggestion to you is do a few more brick workouts MIDDAY! I know that it is REALLY HOT, HUMID, AND MUGGY DOWN THERE, but the only way you will get used to running in that type of condition is to do it! It will not only train you physically, but it will also train you mentally. You will learn what your body can. How far can you push yourself? How long can you go without water? Can I skip this aid station, etc..?

Good recommendation (as much as I hate to admit it!). I never really thought about that before. I usually trained in the evenings when it was cooler. I hate running in the heat, but I really should pay attention to that and work to acclimate my body to it for future races. Thanks for the suggestion.
2007-05-15 11:28 AM

User image

One thing that has been of huge help is a training partner. Not one who you have to motivate all the time, but can motivate you as well. Also, someone that is more experienced (ie better) than you can teach you tricks and the ropes as well as push you further than you think you can go. I have a classmate/friend that has done a few ironman tris and he is so excited to have me in the sport that he works out w/ me 3-4 times a week and it has bumped my training tremendously. Last Saturday we went for about a 37 mile ride, my longest by far, and then an hour run the next day. I would not have done either on my own. So I just wanted to encourage everyone in this group to keep talking on here, but also look for physical training partners that can help you reach your next level or goal, they're a great resource!

adam
2007-05-17 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran

Well, I did another race last night. A 5k in aid of Cancer research and opening of a new Running Room store in Toronto. Initially going to Pace Lee Anne (a race walker who wanted to finish in 30 minutes, which she did), but ended up doing my own race. Had a great rythm going that I managed to maintain for the race. Last 1 to 1.5k was up hill, but still managed to keep a good rythm and only slowed a little on the major up hill. Felt great and I think the rain kept things cool. No injuries this time either, so feeling great.

Final time - 27M 17s for 5k.

2007-05-17 2:05 PM
in reply to: #804175

User image

richtherunner - 2007-05-17 8:35 AM

Well, I did another race last night. A 5k in aid of Cancer research and opening of a new Running Room store in Toronto. I

Rich, you're an animal! Kudos to you for your diligence and consistency in challenging yourself with races. Good to hear you're still injury free.

- Mindy
2007-05-18 12:04 PM
in reply to: #804175

User image

richtherunner - 2007-05-17 7:35 AM

Well, I did another race last night. A 5k in aid of Cancer research and opening of a new Running Room store in Toronto. Initially going to Pace Lee Anne (a race walker who wanted to finish in 30 minutes, which she did), but ended up doing my own race. Had a great rythm going that I managed to maintain for the race. Last 1 to 1.5k was up hill, but still managed to keep a good rythm and only slowed a little on the major up hill. Felt great and I think the rain kept things cool. No injuries this time either, so feeling great.

Final time - 27M 17s for 5k.

Good job Rich. I think one of the fun parts about reading your posts is doing the metric conversions. I'm an engineer, so I straddle the "numerical fence" when it comes to units because many international projects are in metric, but all the domestics are in English.

I have my first tri this Sunday, pending that I don't get sick like I did for the last one. I'm nervous about that because yesterday my nose started running and my throat is scratchy! I've been guzzling Airborne and green tea in hopes to combat anything major.

But, I also have a question for all you. I was thinking about wearing my tri jersey on the swim so that I wouldn't have to put it on during T1. But, there are little pouches in the back of the jersey and I was afraid those might slow me down by acting like parachutes in the water. What does everyone here typically do? If I don't want to wear my jersey, can I go shirtless for the entire race? It's a sprint so it won't take very long.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Benson
2007-05-18 3:18 PM
in reply to: #806694

User image

Pro
DscoNfrno - 2007-05-18 10:04 AM

But, I also have a question for all you. I was thinking about wearing my tri jersey on the swim so that I wouldn't have to put it on during T1. But, there are little pouches in the back of the jersey and I was afraid those might slow me down by acting like parachutes in the water. What does everyone here typically do? If I don't want to wear my jersey, can I go shirtless for the entire race? It's a sprint so it won't take very long.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Benson

I am going to be safe in saying that you will not be wearing a wetsuit? One thing I notice my very 1st triathlon was that it was extremely hard to put on a tri shirt, with a wet body! It got all rolled up, stuck, twisted. I actually had to ask the guy next to me to help me pull my shirt down! I FELT LIKE A SPANKY! I don't think it will create too much drag. If you had pockets in your shorts! MAYBE, but shirt maybe ok. I ALWAYS wear my shirt in the water. One less thing to deal w/ @ T1.

Hope this helps, and good luck! KEEP US POSTED!
2007-05-18 3:45 PM

User image

Veteran

I'm pretty sure that most races will not allow you to run "sans" shirt. Most require that you run with shirt and shoes (No shirt. No shoes. No race).

Maybe you can try a swim in your tri shirt before the race to test is out?

2007-05-19 3:36 PM

User image

Pro
I have bad news to report (for me anyway). My summer may have been dramatically altered. I went to the doctor yesterday due to my knee pains, and he says that I have bone spurs, and a torn Meniscus. I am having an MRI done on Weds. to find out the severity of the tear, but until the results, I am not sure what I am going to do!?? The good news is that he said it won't get any worse. So if I can take the pain, then go for it, but I have to be honest... THE PAIN ISN'T THAT ENJOYABLE!

2007-05-19 5:03 PM
in reply to: #808035

User image

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. That's no fun at all. There is a lot of talk about using a glucosamine chondroitin supplement to help heal joint injuries involving cartilage. Menisci are made of around 75% fibrocartilage so in theory, taking chondroitin is simply giving the body the building blocks to repair the tear. There is debate on the effectiveness, and I would contribute that to the fact that everyone's body reacts differently to almost every stimulus. BUT, its noninvasive (and being a chiropractic student, I'm all about noninvasive). So, not saying it works, just saying that its out there and is a hot topic...Wouldn't hurt to check it out! Now on that note, chondroitin won't help the bone spurs (which is usually the body's response to an unstable joint, possibly due to the meniscus)...So now I'm rambling...sorry!

On a different note, I did my own triathlon today, a good workout, but not near as fun w/o the competition!
2007-05-19 5:29 PM
in reply to: #808035

User image

swbkrun - 2007-05-19 3:36 PM

I have bad news to report (for me anyway). My summer may have been dramatically altered. I went to the doctor yesterday due to my knee pains, and he says that I have bone spurs, and a torn Meniscus. I am having an MRI done on Weds. to find out the severity of the tear, but until the results, I am not sure what I am going to do!?? The good news is that he said it won't get any worse. So if I can take the pain, then go for it, but I have to be honest... THE PAIN ISN'T THAT ENJOYABLE!

I know that has to be extremely frustrating. Especially with all the training you've put in to get to where you are now. Hopefully it will be a quick recovery and you'll be back on your feet before you know it.

Benson
2007-05-22 7:39 AM

User image

Veteran

Well, completed my first event of the season yesterday, the Victoria's Duathlon. It was a good event, although I didn't do so good. The bike was hard, with rolling hills. The second run was pretty hard for me.

I have completed a race report, so if you have some time, you can read it and let me know your thoughts.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

2007-05-22 12:38 PM

User image

Good job Rich. I felt the same way about the gloves in my first and only duathlon. I struggled to put them on after the first run because I couldn't feel my fingers. I just left them on for the second run.

Reading your post reminded me that I forgot to tell everyon I completed my first Tri this weekend. I've done the race report for anyone that wants to read it. For those who don't, here is a short run down.

Age group: 14/28
Overall: 156/468
Swim: 26/28, 377/468
Bike: 11/28, 140/468
Run: 10/28, 93/468

Needless to say, the swim killed me. I know what to expect next time though! I'm looking forward to it.

Benson
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  

of 21