BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-06-14 9:56 AM
in reply to: #801361

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL

Good Morning!  I read this article on BT and thought I would pass it along.  Since I'm a non-swimmer, this article makes a lot of sense to me.  Christine and Caru, it may help you keep the nerves at bay for the swim portion of your first tri.  I honestly believe the yoga classes helped me stay calm and breath while in the water.  I wasn't fast, but I was at ease and not struggling through the water.  That's progress for me!  Enjoy!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1189

2007-06-14 12:06 PM

User image

Houston
Come on now rich I am pumped about July 1!!!! I was talking to a couple of moms ony my swim team who did a Tri last weekend both of them have been doing them for years and they said it addicting........ Im hoping I will feel the same.
My first true brick today. It was interesting, I felt like my run was much slower than it actually was. I am thinking that is a good thing??

should I be doing a longer ....more than my race ride im my next brick ( hopefully Sat or sun ) or should I just stick to my first idea of doing 30 laps??
2007-06-14 1:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Brick Workout
Welcome back Christine.... sounds like a fun time in Mexico!

Angela: Thanks for previewing and recommending the article. I like the concept of receiving especially around the description of breathing. I want to spend some more time reading through the article more thoroughly. The article is worth reading and using the concepts. THANKS!

Derek: Good for you that you are pumped for your upcoming tri! I'll share with you what I do for a brick and it works for me. One hour bike ride followed by a 3 to 4 mile run (30 to 35 minute run). The bike is a gradual build up in speed. We use the roads around the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. It is a 3.25 mile loop or oval. At the beginning of the season we start out with trying to complete 5 laps in one hour. (i.e. 15 mph). West side of the bowl is uphill; East side of the bowl is downhill ..... maybe a 2% grade at most. Last night speeds on west side (uphill) of the bowl: 1st Lap @15 mph; 2nd Lap @16 mph; 3rd Lap @18 mph; 4th Lap @19 mph; 5th Lap @ as fast as you can go.......by 5th lap the stronger riders are blazing.....others are back down to 16 mph. On the east side of the bowl, my average speed was 28.5 mph. These speeds created a lot of lactic acid build up in the quads.....perfect for a brick....legs were heavy when I first started out running....but, I eased into the run and let the run come to me in the technique, form and speed. I'm sure I was doing 10 minute miles at the beginning, but was doing 8.5 minute miles by the end of the brick. Long stretch session after the run ..... very important to stretch..... this morning, no soreness ..... have a 2 hour run scheduled for this evening.

My recommendation is to do a 1 hour bike ride and then a 30 minute run...... or a 2 to 1 ratio.

Hope that helps, Derek!

Rich
2007-06-14 4:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: The Art of Transitions
Here is an article from my saved links folder on transitions..... still a GREAT read and very helpful.

http://www.trinewbies.com/Article2.asp?ArticleID=131

Rich
2007-06-14 6:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Swimming Technique and video (example)
Howdy gang!

Pulled this article on five key techniques for your swimming. Read the article first. Then look at the video.... it is a sample video from "Swim smooth". See how the swimmer is applying the technqiues. Notice the head position as he breaths.

The five keys to triathlon swimming
http://active.com/story.cfm?story_id=13300&category=aboutus&num=1

Video
http://www.swimsmooth.com/freeview.htm

Derek (Our resident swim expert): If you have any thoughts, analysis, or input, please feel free to chime in!

Rich
2007-06-15 7:54 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Good Morning!

Rich, a few questions about my swimming.  First, my form is bad.  I breath on every stroke. I bicycle in the water.  I can go on and on... 1)  Where do I begin with my swimming?  Is it breathing?  Is it being stretched out in the water?  What is the most important aspect that I need to get in place now to move forward? Looking at all the different articles and book, Total Immersion, I'm not sure which one to follow.  They're similiar, but I'm becoming confused.  (I do feel comfortable in the water...finally!)

The YMCA is offering a Tri-swimming class, but I can't begin until July because of conflicts.  2)  Should I stay out of the water until I get formal instruction?  or should I continue to swim and try on my own to correct all my faults? 

My next planned tri is Oct. 7.  I would like to do another one before then if possible.  Thoughts?  Comments? 

Thanks!  Angela 

Edited by yoblondie 2007-06-15 8:56 AM

2007-06-15 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Congratulations to Derek and Barb!

Plans for the weekend everyone?

Tonight, brick work. Saturday we are doing a mini practice tri. Sunday is my second OWS clinic at Lake Nockamixon.

So far I swam in a lake, then a river and then the ocean. I'm getting a little touch of fearlessness. You guys would have been proud of me. I swam out to the far corner buoy in the ocean at the resort when no one else was up to it. I would have never done that a year ago!

My race is next Saturday. I'm getting back into the groove this weekend (after my week of vacation) and will be raring to go by next weekend.

I am inspired and uplifted by all of you. Thanks for everything!
2007-06-15 10:17 AM
in reply to: #845451

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Howdy, y'all! It is getting VERY HOT here in Texas, though we've got a chance of rain today that might cool things down a little bit.  I've been shedding buckets and buckets of water in every workout this week! Gonna get worse before it gets better, too.

Plans for this weekend: last "rehearsal" out at Lake Pflugerville before the race next Sunday. I'm planning on doing a short OWS, two loops around the bike course, and then run/jog on the run course. Sunday is a rest day, and we'll be celebrating Father's Day so some extra fun there.

Stay cool everyone!

2007-06-15 11:33 AM
in reply to: #845404

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Swim Exercises
Good Questions, Angela:

I would try to get in the water and work on only two things for now:

* body alignment
* breathing.

How to get the body alignment?

If you saw the video, try to get that long body look. The best way to do that is "front quadrant" swimming. Look over the video multiple times. In particular, look at how the hands are in front of the swimmer. Before he "digs" through the water with one hand/arm, his other hand and arm are already in the water in front of him. It is a teeter-tatter

There are a couple of drills you can do to help you get that long look or body alignment while also helping you with your breathing. You will need short fins. Basically, you are going to use your legs/fins to propel you through the water.

EXERCISE 1
1) Push off from the wall of the pool.
2) Extend right arm in front of you and keep it in front of you through the entire length of the pool.
3) Roll onto your side so your stomach is facing the leftside of the pool.
4) Bury your nose and chin into your armpit
5) Start kicking
6) Count 1, 2, 3 (slowly)
7) Breath by just rotating head from your armpit to the side so that just one goggle is out of the water....refer to the video to see how the swimmer breaths.

Do four lengths of the pool doing the right side.

Repeat doing the left arm.

EXERCISE 2:
Putting the two sides together
1) Start off on your right side.
2) After counting 1, 2, 3
3) Take a stroke
4) Count 1, 2, 3
5) Take a stroke

Continue to end of the pool .

EXERCISE 3: Catch Drill (Use the fins)

This exercise is more of an awareness exercise to see where your hands/arms are when you swim.

1) Swim but before you take a stroke, make sure to touch your hand with the other hand. Basically you are catching your hand with the other hand. It will feel awkward.

Breathing?
Do you have a pull bouy? That might help you bring the legs up out of the water. Then practice working on your breathing every third stroke....

The whole key to body alignment and breathing is being totally relaxed in the water. Again, refer to the video... the swimmer is totally relaxed...

I also think the fins will help correct your bicycle style kick in the water. You want long legs when you use the fins..... they will train your muscles/legs to kick in a more efficient manner.

Soooooo I'm sure this might prompt a lot of questions, so go ahead...... ask away...... I'm also going to invite Derek to add any comments or suggestions, too.....

I hope this helps Angela!

Rich

yoblondie - 2007-06-15 7:54 AM

Good Morning!

Rich, a few questions about my swimming.  First, my form is bad.  I breath on every stroke. I bicycle in the water.  I can go on and on... 1)  Where do I begin with my swimming?  Is it breathing?  Is it being stretched out in the water?  What is the most important aspect that I need to get in place now to move forward? Looking at all the different articles and book, Total Immersion, I'm not sure which one to follow.  They're similiar, but I'm becoming confused.  (I do feel comfortable in the water...finally!)

The YMCA is offering a Tri-swimming class, but I can't begin until July because of conflicts.  2)  Should I stay out of the water until I get formal instruction?  or should I continue to swim and try on my own to correct all my faults? 

My next planned tri is Oct. 7.  I would like to do another one before then if possible.  Thoughts?  Comments? 

Thanks!  Angela 

2007-06-15 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Race Preparation?
Kat and Christine:

Alright! Your tris are coming up next weekend.......soooo time to start planning, right? So, I want you to chart out what this next week looks like. So by date:

1) What workouts do you plan on doing?

2) When do you plan to pack your tri gear?

3) What is your nutritional plan .... normal?

4) What is your nutritional plan ..... pre-race?

5) What is your nutritional plan ..... during the race?

6) Race day schedule?

7) What is your nutritional plan ..... post race?

(I know....... I ask a lot of questions, don't I?) :p

You don't have to turn anything or post anything...... these are just some items that I consider one week out before a race.

Rich
2007-06-15 1:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
1) What workouts do you plan on doing? Whatever I can manage. I'm still dragging butt from vacation -- so I see rest as a priority as well.

2) When do you plan to pack your tri gear? Wednesday

3) What is your nutritional plan .... normal? Normal. Plan on making some changes after the race -- to get leaner for "A" race in August.

4) What is your nutritional plan ..... pre-race? Il Collesseo -- pasta -- night before. Soy protein breakfast links, whole wheat toast pre-race breakfast.

5) What is your nutritional plan ..... during the race? Perpetuem nutrition shake before the swim and on the bike. Some HEED in a bottle as a back-up. A GU in my pocket for the run -- just in case.

6) Race day schedule? Leaving at 4:30. Picking Andrew up at 5:00. Pre-race meeting at 6:30. My race wave starts at 8:25.

7) What is your nutritional plan ..... post race? I have to see how I feel.

I know some of you are great athletes and quite competitive. Despite all of this planning and all of my efforts, I just want to finish. I don't know if most regular people know what it's like, but after all of this training, I just desperately hope to finish. I think I will cry if I make it across that finish line. My husband and my brother will be there. The rest of my family will come out for the closer Steelman race in August.

2007-06-15 1:50 PM
in reply to: #846171

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
cmbcwb3 - 2007-06-15 1:42 PM

I know some of you are great athletes and quite competitive. Despite all of this planning and all of my efforts, I just want to finish. I don't know if most regular people know what it's like, but after all of this training, I just desperately hope to finish. I think I will cry if I make it across that finish line. My husband and my brother will be there. The rest of my family will come out for the closer Steelman race in August.

Hey Christine:

It is an accomplishment to finish a triathlon....regardless of the distance and regardless if your goal is to be on the podium or just to finish...it is still an accomplishment....

I was chided the last Saturday by a fellow team member/triathlon coach....he said... "I just hate when people say it is just a sprint.... they are STILL hard". When you think about it, he is right. You are asking your body to perform three different events back-to-back utilizing different muscles and skills.

Hopefully, the information I'm providing will help you to finish....and with this planning and discussions, make the end result much more enjoyable.

Christine: Know that you have worked hard.... Know that you can do this.....Know that your family will love you and be there for you at the finish line!

Rich

Hint: My motivation in the last race was to get to the Starbucks Coffee at the team tent after the triathlon....OK....it was a cheap trick to get me there, but it worked! If you like coffee, don't have any that morning and have someone responsible for handing you a cup of coffee when you are done! :p (OK, it may not be coffee....it may be ice cream....what ever it takes!)

2007-06-15 4:54 PM
in reply to: #846171

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Here's my plan:

1) Workouts: A generally lighter week.  I'll take two rest days this week, one on Thursday and one on Saturday - the rest of my workouts will be a bit shorter and less intense so my body can heal up!

2) Packing gear: Friday afternoon

3) Nutritional plan: staying on my 300cal/3 hour plan, emphasize the carbs on Saturday

4) Pre-race nutrition: 500 cal in the morning before I leave for the race site, probably a protein bar, banana, and some cereal. Drink power-ade on the way to the course and while setting up transition. I'll take a Gu packet about 15 min. before my wave starts

5) During race nutrition: water with a back-up bottle of gatorade on the bike in case I feel like I need it. I'll take a Gu packet on the last mile of the bike and carry water with me on the run - there is absolutely no shade at all on the run, and it could be very very hot.  I've had trouble dehydrating on the run in the past.

6) Race day schedule: Leave the house at 6:00 am to arrive at transition at 6:20 -  6:30 am.  First wave starts at 7:30 am

7) Post-race nutrition: lots of water/gatorade and whatever food is there that looks good at the time!

I feel more prepared for this race than any other race that I've done to date. Part of that is that I successfully completed an oly earlier this year so my training has been in full swing for quite a while. Part of it is all the great advice I've been getting lately   Usually the toughest part of the race is my run, but that has improved a lot this month. This will probably be the first time where I feel like I'm actually using some racing strategy instead of just trying to get through it.  So, I'm feeling pretty good about it right now!

Edited by katzchen55 2007-06-15 4:56 PM
2007-06-15 5:01 PM
in reply to: #846535

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hi, Kat!

Your plan looks very good! Well planned and thought out! Good Job!

The only thing you may think about is on your race nutrition. You mentioned having a GU in the last mile of your ride. Just a suggestion, you might have your GU two to three miles out (i.e. about 20 to 30 minutes before your run). I have found that if I have a GU or some nutritional solid any later, I get side aches. Don't know if you have that prob. It is only a suggestion. You might be able to handle it that late in your ride....I'll definitely let you be the judge on that..... you know what works for your body.

If I don't say it next week, have an AWESOME race!

Rich
2007-06-16 12:52 PM

User image

Houston
Rich, a few questions about my swimming. First, my form is bad. I breath on every stroke. I bicycle in the water. I can go on and on... 1) Where do I begin with my swimming? Is it breathing? Is it being stretched out in the water? What is the most important aspect that I need to get in place now to move forward? Looking at all the different articles and book, Total Immersion, I'm not sure which one to follow. They're similiar, but I'm becoming confused. (I do feel comfortable in the water...finally!)

here are some tips
bicycle kick- with your legs straight your first movement is a down movement with the whole leg. your feet need to push the water away or down.

I stress to my swimmers that you need to be as long as possible. the object is to move as much water as possible so the longer you are the more water you can move...

on that same note you want to push more water so your "paddles" hands need to be bigger.... I do not bend my wrists at all I use my entire forarm as a paddle. its hard to explain in type but here we go.... your elbow stays high or in its original place when you arm is fully extended and your forarm and hand start to point down to the bottom of the pool at that point you will move forward "around your arm" untill yor arm becomes straight pointing to your feet.

its sounds wierd I know but try it in your house and figure out what I am talking about. In the water it will feel like your elbow is very high and your arm will get tired but it is WAY more effective!
2007-06-17 9:41 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Thanks Rich and Derek!  I've printed out the info to take with me to the pool.  What I'm hearing the most is s..t..r..e..t..c..h.. out and be as l..o..n..g.. as possible.  I'll keep you posted on my progress. 

My next race is a 25K run in July.  I'm going to concentrate on getting in longer runs.  It's rained all weekend, so I won't be able to do one today.  Plus it's Father's Day and my husband has the day "off".  I can't go to the gym and leave him with the kids. (the gym doesn't have childcare on Sun)  I'll begin training on Monday. 

Happy Father's Day Rich!  I hope you have a great day.  (Derek, I'm not sure if you're a daddy or not, but ditto if you are!)(I guess I could include your students!

Okay Ladies, one more week until your Tri!  Make it a good one!

2007-06-18 6:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Mini practice tri Saturday was good. Worked out what to pack/what gear we will use.

Let's say my first OWS 5 weeks ago I managed to put my face in the water and swim properly about 15% of the time. Granted, the water was at least 10 degrees colder back then...but yesterday I managed to swim freestyle about 80% with my face in. I'm very pleased. I'm by no means a fast swimmer, but I'm improving my open water skills for sure.

Saturday race -- here we come!!! I need to not worry about getting passed and not try to keep up with anyone -- just go at my own pace. When I try to go too fast, my heart rate soars and we all know what happens next -- hyperventilating, panic, etc. Save pushing the heart rate for the bike and run!

I'm also pleased to say my friend and I did a 15 mile loop after the swim. Did I just say that? A swim that kicked some people's butts; then we went off for a bike ride...hmmm...I may become an athlete after all.

I realize it's not a RICH-distance bike ride, but it was very hilly and very hot... ;-)

How about everyone else? How were your weekend workouts?
2007-06-18 7:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Guys, it's good to hear everyone is doing fabulous!! Cris you will be awesome and so will kAT. happy belated fathers day to all daddys!

I ahve my tri on Sunday. We had a pool session Saturday and the instructor used me as an example so I think Im doing something right. Wasn't tired at all afterwards, but my legs hurt a bit. Worked on Core this weekend and then Sunday I went for an hour ride and then i did 4 miles in 35 minutes, so that wasn't too bad. I wasn't tired at all, so I went and swam a bit for like 20 minutes... I don't know why I am not getting tired, I guess the resting sessions and cooling down of last week was good. OH i did use Gu and it helped me A LOT!

Rich strategy for this week??
I know everyone has like a plan, I dont!!!! so I need help.
I have most of my stuff packed... like body glide, towels,socks, goggles uuuu I need to get those shoe laces!
As far as training I don't know what to do? I mean I feel like maybe I should get some swimming early in the week then Biking and then just running? Since my scariest is swimming then biking then running? Plus the weather has been AWEFUL!! and its going to be that way for a while. Food advice anyone??

I am glad to hear about the OWS from Cris and then biking for 15!!@!!!!1 dammm girl!!!! That is awesome!!! and Derek's improvement sounds fabulous.
Sorry I disappeared guys, but I had some stuff going on that was tough, so now I have my batteries charged and back in the game!!

OK guys good luck too alll!!!

Edited by carustol 2007-06-18 7:19 AM
2007-06-18 7:39 AM
in reply to: #848124

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hey folks!  Looks like it's prep week for quite a few of us! WOOHOO!!! It's gonna be a good time!  Christine and Caru, y'all are totally going to rock - can't wait to hear how things go.  Sounds like both of you have had significant improvements in the last couple of weeks - ain't it cool?

I had a good "rehearsal" at the race course this weekend.  A group of BT'ers met out there and we did the OWS and the bike course nice and easy. I would have preferred doing more of a time trial on the bike, but with the group, we needed to just cruise the course and stay together. One of the folks in the group was a way-experienced triathlete (Ironman), and he and I talked race strategy - I got some great tips from him on how to approach the bike. On the run, we all sort of took off on our own - I actually did a sub-10min/mile on the run and I didn't feel totally gassed out!  That's amazingly fast for me. The whole time I was thinking "If I can only run like THIS in the race!!!"  I think what helped the most for me was carrying water with me.  I will definitely be doing that on Sunday!

All in all, I'm feeling confident and excited! I'll be doing shorter workouts this week, but the fella I was riding with on Saturday suggested keeping up the intensity and shortening the workouts rather than just coasting all week and healing.  He said that if I slow down too much, I'll end up having a slow race. So I'm thinking that I may adjust my plan for this week to include some sprints/strides/hill repeats in shorter sessions. What do you think, Rich?

2007-06-18 8:34 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Good Morning!

Christine, Caru, and Kat...great workouts this weekend.  Y'all are so prepared.  I'm a little jealous I don't have a race too!!!  Christine, I'm a non-swimmer with poor form and the OWS was actually very fun for me!  I felt great in the water and not tired once I got out.  You're going to do great...especially since you know what to expect.  Caru, I'm glad you're feeling charged up again!  It's amazing how a little break can sometimes be invigorating.

Kat, Rich gave me the same advice that your ironman friend did.  He told me to not taper my workouts.    It seemed to work.  I wasn't pooped out at the end of the tri.  I actually could have pushed harder on the run. 

Ladies...swim, bike, run to your hearts desire!  YIPPEE!

***I got my pics back from the Danskin Tri.  I'll try to post them.  It may take a while...I'm not very computer savvy.

2007-06-18 12:53 PM
in reply to: #847422

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Good Morning/Afternoon everyone!

Good questions in this morning's thread! I'm inbetween meetings, so I will answer a couple of the questions for you.

Angela: GREAT IMPROVEMENT on your OWS. Looooong is the right alignment you are wanting. I was thinking about this over the weekend while I was riding...(multi-tasking). See if this works.... Kick off the side of the pool with arms stretched in front of you and with head down (face horizontal to the bottom of the pool). Point your toes.... Do this several times and feel the glide. (Don't do a stroke). That is the body alignment you ultimately want to achieve. I'll test this tonight also to validate that it is the alignment you want. THANKS, Derek for your input. Any other suggestions you have please jump in! Very helpful!

Caru: I'm getting excited for you...... Yeah, I definitely think you should keep training through the week. Here is a suggestion:

Monday: Swim (Normal distance)
Tuesday: Bike/Run (Normal distance)
Wednesday: Swim (Normal distance)
Thursday: Bike/Run (Normal distance)
Friday: Swim/Bike/Run (15 minutes each)

KAT: You wrote: So I'm thinking that I may adjust my plan for this week to include some sprints/strides/hill repeats in shorter sessions. What do you think, Rich?

Look at the plan above. Might be something to consider in your race week preparation. With a sprint distance, you don't need to tapper too much at all. On the half-ironman, I will be using something like this plan except that Wednesday,Thursday and Friday will be all three disciplines with Wedneday being half hour each and by Friday 15 minutes each discipline.

Angela (and others)! THANKS for the Happy Father's Day wishes.....had a GREAT day. Even spent time assembling a new bed for with my son ..... he grew out of his not so old bed. He is a 6'2" giant at 15 and still growing..... honestly, I told my wife to stop watering him.... LOL!

Fire away with questions...let me know how you are feeling as we progress towards your races. I'll be looking at your Training Logs this evening.

2007-06-19 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Okay. This is funny in an ironic way...

I ran into my doctor at the OWS clinic on Sunday. I told her I still am not feeling that great since Mexico (digestive issues). She rattles off a list of fun little things you can get while south of the border - tells me if I'm still not feeling right by Monday (by then it's beeen more than a week) to call her and she will call in a prescription for me.

Probably a bacterial infection I picked up in my travels -- so I'm on an antibiotic as of last night. Normally, I would fight it with herbs and eating well and time...but since my race is Saturday, I want to be as healthy as possible.

Any advise? Does anyone think I should tend to rest more than train this week because of it?

I ran yesterday -- just kept it to 2 miles -- it was very hot and this illness is helping to dehydrate me a bit. I was planning on rest tonight (it's still very hot/humid) and then a moderate bike ride and swim Wednesday. Try to run my full 4-mile loop Thursday. Light bike ride Friday.

Rich, What do you think?
2007-06-19 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Cris hope you feel better!!!!

Rich, I was wondering what should be a good taget time for the race? I know its very different for everyone, but what is a good time for a sprint? I'm just curious. Granted the tiems I've done SBR all together the 5k run take me an average of 5 minutes more. So, what do you think???

thanks!!! I am super pumped. So far there are 4 more people in my age group. I didn't choose the first time option, since they start last, and I want the WHOLE elbows, kicking grabbind experience!~~~~~~ I cant wait!
2007-06-19 1:35 PM
in reply to: #850458

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Christine:

Hope you are feeling better.....I am in no way a doctor or have personal knowledge of those little bugs that can get into your system when visiting south of the border.

I'm wondering what your water intake is? I'm wondering if you flush your system with water, if that will help? I guess that is a question for your doc. Obviously too much water can be hazardous, too.

I hope you are in prime racing condition for this weekend!

Rich

2007-06-19 1:41 PM
in reply to: #850458

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Listen to Your Body
Hey Christine:

The other portion of your post about your workout regime before your race and while you are under the weather....... listen to your body! Your adjusted plan does look good, but just be very careful with the heat and your dehydration..... I'm a little concerned that you get too dehydrated given that you are getting double whammied with the bug from south of the border and the heat! PLEASE, PLEASE be careful.

Might consider taking in some sports drink while you are under the weather that has electrolytes along with the extra water I suggested in my previous post. You may appear to be sweating, but you may be loosing a lot of salt and fluids. If it is really hot (like we know Texas can be), the sweat is evaporating very quickly.

Again, I'm not a doctor so please listen to the advice of your doctor over my suggestions.

THANKS, Christine!

Rich

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46