BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-01-15 1:44 PM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed

Nice job with day 1!!!

Official rules were posted earlier, but here they are again...

You MUST have goals for all 3 sports (unless you are injured or don't have access - ie. don't have a bike, no pool, even though that is a lame excuse).

Each week you have the potential to earn 800 points for your team.  200 for each of the three sports, and 200 for strength/flexibility.

I will calculate the number of points by getting the percentage to your goal.  If you get 100% or more, you get an extra hundred points.  For example, if you get 56% to your goal, you will contribute 56 points to your team.  However, if you reach 100%, you earn 100 points plus an additional 100 points.

To prevent sandbagging, if you reach 100% during one week, the following week you MUST increase your goal by at least 10% to get the 100 points the following week.

You must have your weeks goals posted by Sunday at 3pm.

The week starts on Monday.

2008-01-15 1:44 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
OMG

Ok Robyn's group There is no way that we are going to give Ruben a chance to wear white! Let's make our goals! YIKES!
2008-01-15 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1157721

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

denny.l - 2008-01-15 1:44 PM OMG Ok Robyn's group There is no way that we are going to give Ruben a chance to wear white! Let's make our goals! YIKES!

Good motivation...yes?

2008-01-15 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1157601

User image

Extreme Veteran
Capt.

It must be a FF thing, because I had some similar thoughts regarding paying up SHOULD we lose the challenge. I was thinking about sticking with the Red Bikini as the other group asked for. I was gonna go out and purchase a Red bikini that is about 2 sizes too small and take glossy 8x10's for my pay back.

Us FF's arent bashful about a darn thing, right? ha ha

I love this challenge

Curt

ditchdoc - 2008-01-15 2:05 PM

Just for you Ronen, IF I should happen to lose, I am wearing white...and it will be wet...and see through and nothing on under neath...so NOTHING is held to the imagination. Laughing
2008-01-15 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
I guess I missed out on the challenge, but great going to all the rest of you. I'll put my name in for it next week. Do you just post your goals on this message site?

Go TEAM -- Here's an acrostic for TEAM -- Together, Everyone, Accomplishes, More

I feel for you snow bunnies -- its 70 something here and sunny today --

Lynn
2008-01-15 2:29 PM
in reply to: #1157853

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well I think for your tardiness, you must submit picture as if you were on the losing team. If you dont believe me, then check with DitchDoc, I'm sure he remembers that rule. ha ha

Your punishment is because were a TEAM. Had you not been tardy, then I'm sure you would have helped the team with an additional 100 bonus points.

Welcome back

lmscozz - 2008-01-15 3:24 PM

I guess I missed out on the challenge, but great going to all the rest of you. I'll put my name in for it next week. Do you just post your goals on this message site?

Go TEAM -- Here's an acrostic for TEAM -- Together, Everyone, Accomplishes, More

I feel for you snow bunnies -- its 70 something here and sunny today --

Lynn

2008-01-15 3:43 PM

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
yes, Lynn, since you are in Sunny, Balmy, Vista Ca. and you did not post up a challange, you owe us a Bikini Pic!!!!
2008-01-15 4:48 PM
in reply to: #1158071

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Hey guys (you are guys, right?). I'm on the learning curve with this site/posting/etc., but if you insist on a pic -- I will deliver. Let me see which glam shot to share. btw- I"m doing the 1/2 marathon on Sunday so that's gotta help put some points on the board.

~~L
2008-01-15 6:39 PM

Veteran
Some of us are gals here!!! Anyway... I NEED A KICK IN THE PANTS!!! I'm totally having a hard time getting into the swing of things here...HELP!!
2008-01-15 7:04 PM
in reply to: #1158512

User image

Extreme Veteran
You need a kick in the butt? Well then, bend over, I love to kick some butt. How can we help you get into the groove? You need to get your in gear, so we win this challenge or else you will have pics of yourself in a very skimpy bikini for everyone on the internet to see. How is that?

Curt
coldheat - 2008-01-15 7:39 PM

Some of us are gals here!!! Anyway... I NEED A KICK IN THE PANTS!!! I'm totally having a hard time getting into the swing of things here...HELP!!
2008-01-15 7:19 PM

Veteran
okay okay im moving! hahaha...

2008-01-15 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1158578

User image

Extreme Veteran
Why dont you have your logs open for us to see? Hiding something?

I feel more like a cop, than a Firefighter

coldheat - 2008-01-15 8:19 PM

okay okay im moving! hahaha...
2008-01-15 7:59 PM

User image

Eastern PA
Hey-

I am glad to be a part of this group! I need lots of help. I want to do my first sprint this summer. I have been starting to run from scratch... I started in November. Never ran before. I am doing like 2 miles on a treadmill and worrying about my time. (Today it was 19:20). I think I need to concentrate on more time and distance, but there is something that makes me want to be fast first. When I run outside on the road, I am much slower, more like 22 minutes for 2 miles. Over the Christmas break, I did run 3.2 miles in 35 minutes.
I work full time and get to work out at the gym during lunch. Basically, I like the stairmaster, and do some core strength and weight training, as well as some time on the treadmill.
I am trying to find a place to swim.... the local middle school has family swim on friday nights, but I have to swim around the kids... yikes! Currently calling around for masters swim programs near me. (Bucks County, Eastern PA).
I haven't been on the bike since early November, and I guess I need to get out there soon! I do not have a resistance trainer, but I do have an old set of Cinelli rollers if I can find a new belt for them. My bike is a 2007 Fuji Finest 1.0. I hate hills.
I really don't have a training plan... just trying to figure out how to best get all three events in good shape.
Basically, I need to get my butt in gear and I feel like I have a long way to go to get to my first tri!

Thanks! Teash

2008-01-15 8:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Ok Teash... when you feel slow... just check out my logs and you will feel fast. I was almost embarrassed to have mine public...but hopefully I will get faster. I can wlak/run for a long time, but only at a snails pace.

As for the bikini... I am old enough where that no longer motivates me... darn. I am over wanting to look like that, plus I figure at this point in my life... I probably have more self worth than that chic. Weight loss... now that will motivate me. I just have to remember that I still have to count the calories in... not just out :-) Note to self... no more eating off the girl's plates.

I am feeling guilty that today I didn't work out as planned...but life happens. I have a major presentation tomorrow with a room full of baracuda's... so I stayed later than normal at work tonight and I won't let anything interfere with my dinner/evening time with my little ones...since that is what life is all really about for me.

So... tomorrow... I am making up for it... if there is such a thing.

Elizabeth
2008-01-15 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1158588

Veteran
mifiremedic - 2008-01-15 8:34 PM

Why dont you have your logs open for us to see? Hiding something?

I feel more like a cop, than a Firefighter

Truth be told...i havent been using my log...i didnt think anyone would actually want to look at it! I'll start logging though since im being watched!!
2008-01-15 9:30 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
Teash,

I'm in the same boat as you for the run. In fact, if you look at my log that I run about 10-12 min miles. I really want to go faster. I'm going to post a new goal; I want to run 3 miles in less than 30 minutes but I'm going to make it a long term goal! Everyone really has stressed putting in the time on the road/treadmill.

Elizabeth,
Good luck on your presentation.

Biked 50, swam 30. I'm on track to complete my goal!

2008-01-15 9:40 PM

User image

Veteran

I got my Kurt Kinetic trainer today, but I'm not real comfortable with no way of knowing how fast i'm going. It is too easy for me to slack off when I get tired. On the exercise bike I can see the mph drop and know quickly that i'm not focused. Out on the road I use a GPS and same thing quickly know when I need to get moving. Is there something I can put on the bike to record that? Or maybe that's a stupid question and most bikes have a trip computer that is based on the the tire rotation so would work on the trainer as well.
2008-01-15 10:59 PM
in reply to: #1156610

User image

Master
triOK - 2008-01-15 6:19 AM

How did everyone do with day 1 of the challenge?

Day one was my off day!!  No worries.  Day two???  Let's just say that without the challenge and the mentor group, it probably wouldn't have happened.  But it did, more details in my log.

So, I say...  Thanks TriOK Group, aka The Best Group, for holding me accountable....

2008-01-15 11:32 PM
in reply to: #1153305

Albuquerque, NM
Hey Elizabeth. I am a short woman also. My arms are also short for my size . I am comfortable on my bike (can't remember the frame size)and offer you these tips when shopping. I called all the bike shops in my area to find who had the best selection of small bikes. I only went to those shops. It can be very depressing how many shops don't stock bikes for us shorties. It is crucial to test ride the bikes! If it doesn't feel comfortable, it probably is not a good fit. In the end you should be the one to say which is more comfortable. Don't rely on the salesperson for that. I had to buy a different stem from the one that came with the bike to get the handlebars close enough so that I didn't feel like I was reaching so far in front of me. Some companies make women specific designed bikes. You might want to try out some of those. If the salesperson is not committed to helping you and fitting you right, don't waste your time with that person. I recommend getting the best bike you can afford. Take your time making the decision - go back and test ride again if you need. You will spend many hours in the saddle (hopefully). Once you are happily pedaling away on a comfy bike, all that time you spent shopping will fade away. Good luck. Julia
2008-01-15 11:36 PM

User image

Master

I'm going to try to consolidate my post, so I don't add 11....

Les- Way to get out of Bed!!! Actually, I feel you.  I am a night person by nature, and the last few mornings have been early.....  Way to go getting up and working out.  It isn't easy!

Elizabeth-  Sorry I don't know more about shipping a bike.  But, if you do buy the one from SoCal, make sure you bring it to your LBS to be fit to YOU even though it is the same size you were on at the store.  They can tweak it for you, and you will enjoy riding more.

Robyn-  I am sure the snow there is nothing like the icy stuff we get here in OK.  Hope you are having fun with it.  And BTW,  Way F'n Cool about the Zoot GU sponsorship.  When you get some time let us know about the process.  Did you just fill out the app with previous race results, and upcoming planned events?  How much swag are they throwing your way?  Congrats!!!

Lora-  Great job getting out there in the bad weather, and good job having the courage to make your log public...  The accountability thing goes a long way for me.

Sarah-  If your HRM squawks at you for being out of zone, SLOW DOWN.  I know one of the hardest things right now for me, is staying slow to build a base.  I have been running 10 to 11 minute miles, and it seems really slow.  I keep telling myself to stick with the plan, stay in zone, and I will see the benefits down the road. And, yes you are being watched! Open up that log!!!

Alan-  Total Immersion, Total Immersion...... If you are doing "Total INVERSION", we need to talk.  And way to make me jealous with the recent purchase of the Kurt Kinetic!  Let me know what you think.  Way to go on your consistency.  You are inspiring!!!

Rueben-  Earplugs....  A white see thru banana hammock???  You know I was a Rescue Swimmer when I was enlisted, and I am going to have to hold you to a bit higher standard, and have you wear a coconut bra with the banana hammock.  Not that we are going to lose!!

Curt-  You Firefighters may be a bit off, but I am glad you guys are on our team!!!  You are putting in some great work.  Keep it up!

Lynn-  Uhhh..  I'm a guy... I like bikinis.  I just don't like wearing them (unlike some firefighters).  I haven't gotten the book in the mail yet, but it is on my to do list.  Have fun in the half mary this weekend, and be sure to post a race report.  That is exactly the kind of motivation I need.

Teash-  Welcome, and let us know what we can help you with!!!  There seem to be some very motivated, cool folks so far.

David and Jay-  You guys are on another level, but thanks for hanging with us and providing your insight.

That's it from me for the night.  Thanks for motivating me to work out tonight.  I hope everyone has a good day tomorrow.

Bennet

2008-01-16 6:31 AM
in reply to: #1158512

User image

coldheat - 2008-01-15 6:39 PM Some of us are gals here!!! Anyway... I NEED A KICK IN THE PANTS!!! I'm totally having a hard time getting into the swing of things here...HELP!!

We are in a challenge here!  My favorite tri coach (Jorge/amiine ) always says "SUAT" - SHUT UP AND TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!

2008-01-16 6:50 AM
in reply to: #1158770

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT
Alan, on your Kinetic trainer question, I have a Cycle Ops and also can't tell how fast I'm going or any of the other statistics you might otherwise see when riding outside.   Maybe I'm just cheap for not spending the mulla to get the gear so I can see all that on the trainer, but I actually prefer NOT to know when riding indoors.  I use those workouts to just build base endurance, go easy, or just relax watching TV.  Anything to take the focus off speed, power, all that stuff.  And when I do want to push, I pop in a Spinnerval DVD which I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend.  Trust me, you don't need a gauge on your bike for those DVD's, they are butt busters and you'll know how hard you worked by the pool of sweat under your bike!!!!!!!
2008-01-16 6:56 AM
in reply to: #1158968

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT

Hey Sarah (coldheat), open up that log and have no worries on anyone using it for something other than raw support!!!!  Using the log also makes you more accountable to yourself, as do getting some inspires along the way.  Happy training, and kick some a** today in whatever workout you do!!

2008-01-16 7:00 AM
in reply to: #1158977

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT

Teash, nice job getting motivated for your first tri soon.  In my opinion, don't worry about speed at all when running, at least for now, just focus on endurance.  Once you have a good base, running faster will come with greater ease (trust me, I learned the hard way!!)

Elizabeth, good luck with your big presentation today, rock it out!!! 

2008-01-16 9:43 AM

Veteran
Thank you everyone!!! Today I'll start using my training log as requested and open it up for all to see! Even though I'm having some motivation issues, I'm still well on track with my training. I think the problem is not being in Florida with my amazing grandparents. I'm not back in New Jersey....yuck..though I'm glad the snow storm missed us!!! Sorry to all those not so fortunate!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52