of 18

2010-05-10 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2558214

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Scottt's Group - Closed

Sorry folks,

I have been traveling and got away without my tether cable for my Blackberry, so no internet while I was gone!  The horror.

I'm back and will work on it.

Sorry.

2010-05-16 6:37 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
I went on a short bike ride today.  While, riding I felt the back end of the bike was wobbling.  I dont know if I have a bent wheel or if the cross wind was just that strong today.  Any thoughts on a decent pair of wheels that wont break the bank?  I'm gonna take my bike to LBS to see if the wheel is bent and to tighten up the cables.  The cables have not been tightend up yet....bike only has 200 miles on it...figured that the cables would need to be tightned before my race this weekend.
2010-05-17 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2861940

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Shawn,

Check that the wheel is seated properly in the dropout.  I wouldn't expect a "wobble" from cross-winds.

If it was a chilly cross-wind, maybe you were shivering.  Don't laugh...it has happened!  I thought I was getting speed wobbles on a decent and it was because I was shivering uncontrollably

Good plan to get cables checked on you new bike before your race.

2010-05-18 5:47 PM
in reply to: #2863563

User image

Regular
Salem
Scottt - 2010-05-17 12:30 PM

Shawn,

Check that the wheel is seated properly in the dropout.  I wouldn't expect a "wobble" from cross-winds.

If it was a chilly cross-wind, maybe you were shivering.  Don't laugh...it has happened!  I thought I was getting speed wobbles on a decent and it was because I was shivering uncontrollably

Good plan to get cables checked on you new bike before your race.

Scott, Thax for the info.  I was a little cool on the bike but not sure on shivering.  The wobble happened while I was going at a higher rate of speed.  Im not sure but I will take it in this week and have checked. 

Do you have any idea's on a set of wheels that wont break the bank.  I showed the wife the Easton's and zipps and she began to laugh when I told her the price....lol.
I was just wandering if you could suggest a set of decent wheels for races and training.
2010-05-19 6:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Shawn and others,

Running Technique

I've queried the Active articles and the results of the search are here: http://search.active.com/search?f=articles&v=List&l=everywhere&k=running+technique .  I won't reinvent the wheel when smarter people than me have written a lot about the subject.

Specific to Shawn's issue...heal striking...

Almost 100% when you see someone who is heal striking, they are by definition overstriding.  Remember there are two components to speed...cadence and stride length.  In sprinting you are taught to lengthen your stride to maximize speed.  While this may work for shorter distances (anaerobic), this is a recipe for slower speeds and injury in longer (endurance) running.  When your heal hits frst, your foot is in front of your hip and thus, for the first portion of your stride, is actually acting as a brake until your foot passes under your hip.  From under your hip to the point you lift your foot at the back is the portion of your stride which propels you forward.  If you are working on improving speed via stride length, concentrate on only lengthening the stride on the back end (propulsion phase).  For almost all beginner/intermediate runners, the best issue to concentrate on is cadence.  Much like cycling, a cadence of 85-90 (per side) is generally optimal.  For most of us, this seems fast with very short strides.  As you progress, you increase speed by maintaining this cadence and lengthening the stride (on the back end).

It is interesting that only in modern times was this heal-striking running form even physically possible, since prior to modern running shoes, your foot would have hurt so badly if you had run that way, that you would have quickly stopped due to the pain.

Shawn, shorten your stride (front part) and pick up your cadence to get your form dialed in, then work on legthening the back end of your stride to slowly build speed.

I hope this helps.

2010-05-19 6:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Wheels:

If you are talking about truly deep (>50mm) take a look at Flashpoint and Edge.

IMO, this investment is worth approx. 30-50 sec. (about 0.75-1.00%) on an olympic (40K) course.  I would recommend this outlay only for people riding more than 3X per week and at least 4,000 miles/year.  Until that point, (Time In The Saddle) and coaching have much better returns.

A decent pair of std. issue wheels like the Shimano R500s or Mavic Aksyiums that come on many good bikes are quite aero shallow wheels and cost $150-250/set (less used if catching a deal on craigslist/ebay/BT).  Very few wheels that come as OEM wheels on $1,000+ bikes are not relatively aero.

2010-05-20 8:54 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Hey everyone!  Hope you are all doing well.

Interesting article Scott.  I'm gonna have to pay more attention to what my legs are doing next time.  I don't think I over reach ha ha - I probably resemble some old lady shuffling along the street - "is she running?"  "or walking?"  itty bitty steps I think!

Tomorrow is Friday yeah!  It's a long weekend here in Canada so looking forward to that and it's supposed to be sunny woo hoo.  Good luck on your race this weekend Shawn!!  Anyone else have something exciting going on this weekend?

Nothing special here.  I did just adjusting with my race schedule and have decided not to do the mid summer olympic - with vacation and a sprint - it just seemed like too much.  I also decided to go with a new plan as I felt mine was too stressful - just didn't jive with my life at this time and I felt pressure to get out there and yet was always falling short.  This one doesn't officially start til next week but I've been following it this week and it looks do-able so wish me luck!  I might actually hit a target week !!!  Shocking!

Anyway - wishing everyone a good weekend - train/race safe!
2010-05-20 8:58 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Oh - actually I do have a question - have you guys heard of the book "Born to Run"?  Anyone read it? 

I'm curious about it.  It seems to have spurred this running challenge... 30 runs in 30 days and now I've even seen people expanding it to 100 runs in 100 days.  I have to say I'm curious to try it.  I find my body isn't as creaky when I run more frequently - maybe something to try in the fall but curious as to what others think about it...  I can't imagine you'd be able to do really long runs.  I think the minimum is 30 or 40 minutes so imagine that after a 2 hr long run on the previous day.  Or maybe you can...?  Who can say?

http://www.amazon.ca/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307266303
2010-05-21 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Yes, I read the book over the Christmas holidays.  Surprisingly, it is actually a page-turner, given the subject matter.

Logically, many of the points make a ton of sense.  Practically, I have seen more than a few people have problems (injuries) when trying to do too much adjustment too fast; i.e. barefoot or running in Five Fingers.  Just make sure, if you adopt any of the new techniques outlined in the book to implement them over the course of many months...a little at a time.  Remember, we've morphed to the current running forms over the last 25-30 years.  Don't try to revert in a few months or you will be injured.

Similarly, with any of the challenges, start within your current fitness and work from there.

2010-05-21 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2873814

User image

Master
TORONTO
Scottt - 2010-05-21 11:56 AM

Yes, I read the book over the Christmas holidays.  Surprisingly, it is actually a page-turner, given the subject matter.

Logically, many of the points make a ton of sense.  Practically, I have seen more than a few people have problems (injuries) when trying to do too much adjustment too fast; i.e. barefoot or running in Five Fingers.  Just make sure, if you adopt any of the new techniques outlined in the book to implement them over the course of many months...a little at a time.  Remember, we've morphed to the current running forms over the last 25-30 years.  Don't try to revert in a few months or you will be injured.

Similarly, with any of the challenges, start within your current fitness and work from there.

Good points!  I think I'll read it and I'm hoping to focus on my running more after my last tri.  I find I get this idea of doing a 1/2 marathon but only leave myself 5 weeks to train for it and I've always required more time - squeezed it out - but at the same time - risking injury.  So I would focus on improving over a longer timeframe this time around.

2010-05-24 11:18 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
Hey everybody...Iam still alive after my first race.  I finished 34th out of 73 in the sprint.  The temp. was 93 degrees with a water temp of 70.  I started out strong in the swim and came out of the water in 14th place.  I think that I either started too fast or I had a slight sinus issue when I came out of the water.  I started up the hill from the beach and I had a slight case of vertigo/dizziness.  Iam betting that it was a fast start that caused this...and too few bricks (swim to bike).  I recovered from this after  T1 and off  I went on the bike.  The out portion of the bike was fast.....22-23 mph.  I then saw a guy in front of me wipe out and it was not a soft landing.  I asked the guy if he was ok...but he didnt seem to want to answer me at first.  finally he said that he was fine....I think mostly he was  pissed at himself for getting that close to the edge of the road.  He seemed to hit the loose gravel on the shoulder and down he went.  I continued on and then made a turn back.  The trip back was slower at around 16-17mph......a nice head wind.  I got back and set off on the run across a dam.  The run was slow and very tough.  I think that the heat was a large factor in the run.  There were several people that had to be taken off by the ambulance...im sure it was the heat and hydration issues.  I crossed the finish line to see my eight year olds smiling face and my wife and oldest son waiting with LOTS of water.  I finished the race in 1:30.  I did not stay to get my transition times....I was looking for the air conditioner!!!!!

I learned a lot of information from this tri....hydrate, hydrate and hydrate..lol.  It was a life experience. 

I'am offcially hooked on this sport.  When we were leaving the tri my wife saw me eyeing a pair of Zipps.  Before, I could even speak she blurted out  "I dont think so".

I'am already looking forward to my next tri

2010-05-25 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2879893

User image

Veteran
Central Point
srichards428 - 2010-05-24 9:18 PM Hey everybody...Iam still alive after my first race.  I finished 34th out of 73 in the sprint.  The temp. was 93 degrees with a water temp of 70.  I started out strong in the swim and came out of the water in 14th place.  I think that I either started too fast or I had a slight sinus issue when I came out of the water.  I started up the hill from the beach and I had a slight case of vertigo/dizziness.  Iam betting that it was a fast start that caused this...and too few bricks (swim to bike).  I recovered from this after  T1 and off  I went on the bike.  The out portion of the bike was fast.....22-23 mph.  I then saw a guy in front of me wipe out and it was not a soft landing.  I asked the guy if he was ok...but he didnt seem to want to answer me at first.  finally he said that he was fine....I think mostly he was  pissed at himself for getting that close to the edge of the road.  He seemed to hit the loose gravel on the shoulder and down he went.  I continued on and then made a turn back.  The trip back was slower at around 16-17mph......a nice head wind.  I got back and set off on the run across a dam.  The run was slow and very tough.  I think that the heat was a large factor in the run.  There were several people that had to be taken off by the ambulance...im sure it was the heat and hydration issues.  I crossed the finish line to see my eight year olds smiling face and my wife and oldest son waiting with LOTS of water.  I finished the race in 1:30.  I did not stay to get my transition times....I was looking for the air conditioner!!!!!

I learned a lot of information from this tri....hydrate, hydrate and hydrate..lol.  It was a life experience. 

I'am offcially hooked on this sport.  When we were leaving the tri my wife saw me eyeing a pair of Zipps.  Before, I could even speak she blurted out  "I dont think so".

I'am already looking forward to my next tri

Congratulations it sounds like you had a pretty good race. I'd be thrilled with 1:30 time way to go!!!
2010-05-25 12:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Well done Shawn!

The diziness thing after the swim is common.  Going from horizontal to vertical while exerting can get you sometimes.

Sounds like a hot one.  Amazing how much hydration your body needs in those conditions.

Congratulations on a sucessful day!

2010-05-25 6:15 PM

User image

Regular
Salem

Has anybody heard of or used Nuevation wheels.  They have a nice set of aero wheels and the price can not be beat.  Iam a person that believes that you get what you pay for...but the reviews have looked very promising.  Any thoughts?

2010-05-25 6:56 PM
in reply to: #2880971

User image

Regular
Salem
Scottt - 2010-05-25 12:43 PM

Well done Shawn!

The diziness thing after the swim is common.  Going from horizontal to vertical while exerting can get you sometimes.

Sounds like a hot one.  Amazing how much hydration your body needs in those conditions.

Scott, 

How does a person over come the dizziness.  I felt like that was the part that really held me back.  I'am a swimmer and have been swimming up to and over a mile and did not expierence this during training.  I guess that maybe I started out to hard.  Will training help keep the dizziness away?  I think that I probably should of pumped sinus meds before the race to help.   

My wife saw me come out of the water and walk to the transition zone/uphill and she said that she was worried.  Once, I got on the bike and went a few hundred yard I began to feel better.

Any thoughts?
2010-05-26 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2881968

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

srichards428 - 2010-05-25 4:56 PM
Scottt - 2010-05-25 12:43 PM

Well done Shawn!

Scott, 

How does a person over come the dizziness.  I felt like that was the part that really held me back.  I'am a swimmer and have been swimming up to and over a mile and did not expierence this during training.  I guess that maybe I started out to hard.  Will training help keep the dizziness away?  I think that I probably should of pumped sinus meds before the race to help.   

My wife saw me come out of the water and walk to the transition zone/uphill and she said that she was worried.  Once, I got on the bike and went a few hundred yard I began to feel better.

Any thoughts?

It's really not swimming thing as much as a getting out of the water/standing up thing.  Your body is horizontal and exerting for a period of time, setting up a certain distribution of blood flow.  You then stand up and now the blood flow distribution needs to be different to get sufficient blood to your head/brain and at takes a minute for your body to react.

As part of your race specific training (later phase of training right before your race) incorporate drills where you get out of the water and run up the beach (ideal) or across the pool deck.  This will prepare your body for this feeling and it will know how to react.

I am very lucky that I can train at least once a week in open water from March to October and thus have this adaptation covered.

2010-05-26 2:29 PM
in reply to: #2883808

User image

Master
TORONTO
Scottt - 2010-05-26 2:40 PM

It's really not swimming thing as much as a getting out of the water/standing up thing.  Your body is horizontal and exerting for a period of time, setting up a certain distribution of blood flow.  You then stand up and now the blood flow distribution needs to be different to get sufficient blood to your head/brain and at takes a minute for your body to react.

As part of your race specific training (later phase of training right before your race) incorporate drills where you get out of the water and run up the beach (ideal) or across the pool deck.  This will prepare your body for this feeling and it will know how to react.

I am very lucky that I can train at least once a week in open water from March to October and thus have this adaptation covered.

Another good drill for this is to sit back in a lounge chair on a hot sunny day and drink beer.  Then try to get up quickly after about three hee hee.  Or is this not an 'appropriate' comment for a healthy triathlete site???

Ha ha - sorry - but it's HUMP day, it's sunny and about 30 degrees here and I'm a little goosy!  Hope everyone is having a good day!!

2010-05-26 7:19 PM
in reply to: #2879893

User image

Well done on your race Shawn, great effort with that heat. We were 24 C on Sunday and I found it too hot to cycle or run.

2010-05-26 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2883978

User image

Regular
Salem
kimmax - 2010-05-26 2:29 PM
Scottt - 2010-05-26 2:40 PM

Another good drill for this is to sit back in a lounge chair on a hot sunny day and drink beer.  Then try to get up quickly after about three hee hee.  Or is this not an 'appropriate' comment for a healthy triathlete site???

Ha ha - sorry - but it's HUMP day, it's sunny and about 30 degrees here and I'm a little goosy!  Hope everyone is having a good day!!

I like the idea of the beers and the lounge chair!!!  The beer is what lead me to start tri's...lol.  Toooooo many years of drinking beer and fast food.

It's my monday today and I have to only work four days this week.  Iam off for the holiday weekend...well starting Satuday night.
2010-05-26 8:10 PM
in reply to: #2883808

User image

Regular
Salem
Thanx Scott.  That gives me hope....cuz it was really a crappy feeling.  I know I didnt do any swim to bike transitions. Will have to work on that in the next six weeks.  I have my next tri in Indianapolis...and there will be an average of 600 people signed up for this one.
2010-05-30 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2884776

User image

New user

Southern Oregon
srichards428 - 2010-05-26 6:10 PM Thanx Scott.  That gives me hope....cuz it was really a crappy feeling.  I know I didnt do any swim to bike transitions. Will have to work on that in the next six weeks.  I have my next tri in Indianapolis...and there will be an average of 600 people signed up for this one.

Great race!!! I am envious of the 1:30 time and the temperature. Went to work yest in Bend and was snowing for a few minutes today 65 and sunny..go figure. For wheels I have a set of Rolf Prima Vigor RS (the RS is for us big boys). Made in Eugene Or (Go Ducks) Great wheels both metal and carbon fiber. Mid to upper mid for price. I got mine from one of the Tri web sites for a first order and got an extra 15% on the sale price so there are some deals out there. Good luck on the next race. My next olympic is in 3 weeks.
J

2010-06-05 1:09 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
Here is an article that ran in our local paper the week before my first tri.

The following post is correct....had a little trouble with the posting.

Edited by srichards428 2010-06-05 1:19 PM
2010-06-05 1:15 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
Here is an article that ran in our local paper the week before my first tri.

Attachments
----------------
news article.pdf (78KB - 47 downloads)
2010-06-05 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2891362

User image

Regular
Salem
JBrunswick - 2010-05-30 7:28 PM
srichards428 - 2010-05-26 6:10 PM Thanx Scott.  That gives me hope....cuz it was really a crappy feeling.  I know I didnt do any swim to bike transitions. Will have to work on that in the next six weeks.  I have my next tri in Indianapolis...and there will be an average of 600 people signed up for this one.

Great race!!! I am envious of the 1:30 time and the temperature. Went to work yest in Bend and was snowing for a few minutes today 65 and sunny..go figure. For wheels I have a set of Rolf Prima Vigor RS (the RS is for us big boys). Made in Eugene Or (Go Ducks) Great wheels both metal and carbon fiber. Mid to upper mid for price. I got mine from one of the Tri web sites for a first order and got an extra 15% on the sale price so there are some deals out there. Good luck on the next race. My next olympic is in 3 weeks.
J

J,

Thanks for the info on the wheels.  Iam gonna start to look a little harder this week.  I have a friend that owns a bike store and he said he could get me a pair of Eastons for cost.  We will see what the friend prices are this week.  I went there before and the prices were the same...lol.

How is the weather there now?  It has been in the high 80's to 90's here the last few weeks.  Love the warmer weather but I am starting to train earlier in the day now.  Im trying to have workouts done before the heat of the day or before work.

Good luck on your upcoming race.
2010-06-07 6:53 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Hey Everyone!  It's been a while since I've posted but I've been checking out your logs and it looks like everyone is doing well.  Congrats to Jonathon on a great race this past weekend!!  Which brings me to my question...

You guys are all so fast on your bike.  I look at my speeds compared to last year and I don't see any improvement at all !?  How do you get faster?  I suspect the answer is "ride more" but wondering if there are drills or something that will help pick up the pace.  I've been getting out in the mornings lately when traffic is at a minimum - the sun just on the brink of rising - it's a nice smooth road and when the lights are working for me my speed - in the big ring - is about 28km/hr which is about 17miles.  For the most part - I feel I could maintain 25km/hr forever (15.5 miles) and anything more requires me to push it  Frown

I want to be a speed demon!!! 
On the upside - I am a lot strong climbing hills than I once was so there is SOME improvement.

Looks as though tri season is here!  Everyone is working towards a race within the next month... just peachy! Smile
My first sprint is June 26th but funnily enough I'm looking forward to my July race more.  ?!  This feels like a formality!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scottt's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 18