BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Mentor group---Full! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2012-02-28 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3945488

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Mentor group---Full!
BACK! I am feeling normal again and getting some workouts in....hope all is going well with the group! My schedule is making it hard to finalize my race schedule but there will be a few. Looking forward to getting to the start line.

2012-02-28 9:39 PM
in reply to: #4067636

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
mndymond - 2012-02-26 9:32 PM

Sounds like everyone had similar things to be excited/nervous about!

QOTW: What nutrition do you use while racing/training? What have you found out the hard way doesn't work?

I'm personally partial to GU Brew orange and GU gus orange flavor as well. I also tend to use Carb-Boom raspberry choc, and raspberry. I also use bananas, gummies and animal crackers.

Found out the hard way: well I've never really used anything that I used for nutrition while training that went badly...but one day I made a pita for lunch and put raw onions in....that didn't go well for the rest of the afternoon during my run....the burning...the burning....

I discovered Infinit when training for my first ironman two years and have pretty much used in exclusively for long rides.  I can concentrate the mix to about 800-900 calories in one water bottle and just take along water in my other bottles for a 3 hr ride.  I would still pack clif bars for if I got hungry but I could get through centuries just on Infinit.  I have also used Gatorade Endurance and clif shot bloks in the past and liked it.

For running I pretty much just use gels and water.  May go to gel is clif shot strawberry.

I haven't really had any painful learning experiences training wise.  I like to think I have an iron gut and can tolerate anything i toss down there.  I did a 5k a couple of years ago where I downed 10 donuts along the way and kept them all down and still ran a decent pace

2012-02-28 9:54 PM
in reply to: #4070587

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
christiekate - 2012-02-28 11:09 AM

I know - it's hard to differentiate between, hip, butt, back and leg. I think the pain is originating right smack dab in the middle of my butt cheek. Like if I stand and put my hand behind me and put my fingers under the bottom of my bottom, like I'm going to lift my cheek, the pain is right where the heel of my hand hits. It feels like it's deep inside the tissue. But when it hurts when I'm running or walking it radiates out to my hip and down my leg. And it does feel like my leg is going to give out. It doesn't but it feels like it will.

I will also add I had this happened with all three of my pregnancies. It was one of the first signs I was pregnant, weird hip/butt pain where I would stumble because my leg got weak. It was especially bad on stairs. Then after the babies were born the pain went away.

So what should I do? On Sunday I managed to run through it. I took a few walk breaks and it would hurt when I walked and when I started running again but if I ignored it it got better, until the next walk break.

So are you sure you're not pregnant? If so, I'll leave the diagnosis to the doctor in the group.  I was diagnosed with hip bursitis a couple of years ago, but my symptoms seem a little different than what you're describing.  Basically I had sharp pain right at the point of the hip that stayed localized there.  Although I think I was a weird case because the pain didn't radiate anywhere else.

As far as what to do goes I would take a few days off, maybe till this weekend.  If you've gone a few days with no pain go for a test run and see how it feels.  This sounds like something that you probably don't want to run through so if the pain is still there it may be worth getting checked out.  It's always a tough call to make.

2012-02-28 9:55 PM
in reply to: #4071676

User image

Champion
Ames, IA

JBougher - 2012-02-28 7:56 PM BACK! I am feeling normal again and getting some workouts in....hope all is going well with the group! My schedule is making it hard to finalize my race schedule but there will be a few. Looking forward to getting to the start line.

Welcome back. Hope you can back into a workout groove!

2012-02-29 3:05 PM
in reply to: #4071844

User image

Veteran
disturbed275 - 2012-02-28 11:54 PM

I know - it's hard to differentiate between, hip, butt, back and leg. I think the pain is originating right smack dab in the middle of my butt cheek. Like if I stand and put my hand behind me and put my fingers under the bottom of my bottom, like I'm going to lift my cheek, the pain is right where the heel of my hand hits. It feels like it's deep inside the tissue. But when it hurts when I'm running or walking it radiates out to my hip and down my leg. And it does feel like my leg is going to give out. It doesn't but it feels like it will.

I will also add I had this happened with all three of my pregnancies. It was one of the first signs I was pregnant, weird hip/butt pain where I would stumble because my leg got weak. It was especially bad on stairs. Then after the babies were born the pain went away.

So what should I do? On Sunday I managed to run through it. I took a few walk breaks and it would hurt when I walked and when I started running again but if I ignored it it got better, until the next walk break.

So are you sure you're not pregnant? If so, I'll leave the diagnosis to the doctor in the group.  I was diagnosed with hip bursitis a couple of years ago, but my symptoms seem a little different than what you're describing.  Basically I had sharp pain right at the point of the hip that stayed localized there.  Although I think I was a weird case because the pain didn't radiate anywhere else.

As far as what to do goes I would take a few days off, maybe till this weekend.  If you've gone a few days with no pain go for a test run and see how it feels.  This sounds like something that you probably don't want to run through so if the pain is still there it may be worth getting checked out.  It's always a tough call to make.

I'm as sure as sure can be! Really, totally sure. As a 40 year old woman, though, I suppose it could still be hormone related. I took Monday off as my rest day, yesterday off as I had a severe allergy attack and was thus doped out on meds and slept all afternoon and evening, and I was going to try to run tonight. Maybe I'll see if it's any better and if not then I'll bike instead. I've been doing some of the stretches for piriformis syndrome and they may be helping. I'll see tonight I guess.

2012-02-29 9:23 PM

User image

New user
Great hour bike tonight on the CT. Wattage workout trying to build it up. Racing season is creeping up...

2012-03-01 8:25 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

February was the first month in a LONG time that I actually got some decent training in. Not great, not what I wanted, but better than a long time. It is nice to not be sick or have an injury (knocking on wood).

I need more folks to answer the fueling question. I have only used gels when I was training for a HM. I usually don't train long enough to need any special fueling. This year will be different so I am hoping you all can give me some good info.

2012-03-01 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
I need a kick in the posterior. I haven't worked out all week. Monday was a rest day, Tuesday I was sick (I have a severe peanut allergy and got exposed at work), last night I ended up skyping with my oldest who is away from home for 3 months, I was supposed to swim at noon but a former coworker showed up for a visit so I visited with her. Sigh. I suckith.
2012-03-02 8:12 AM
in reply to: #4075753

User image

Champion
Bronze member

christiekate - 2012-03-01 3:48 PM I need a kick in the posterior. I haven't worked out all week. Monday was a rest day, Tuesday I was sick (I have a severe peanut allergy and got exposed at work), last night I ended up skyping with my oldest who is away from home for 3 months, I was supposed to swim at noon but a former coworker showed up for a visit so I visited with her. Sigh. I suckith.

Sounds like you are kicking yourself enough for both of us.

Life gets in the way, just look forward and go from here. You have the weekend to get some quality training in. We can bring out boots for kicking and tasers for prodding, if needed.

2012-03-02 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4067636

User image

mndymond - 2012-02-26 9:32 PM

QOTW: What nutrition do you use while racing/training? What have you found out the hard way doesn't work?

For running I usually use Powerbar Gels (Vanilla and Strawberry Banana) but for riding I really haven't needed anything because the most I've biked was 45 miles.  I used a stinger waffle and G2 for that ride, but I felt pretty beaten up by the end of the ride so I know I'm going to have to do a lot of practicing with nutrition when I get on the bike for longer rides.  As far as what I know doesn't work.... eating anything other than crackers or a banana less than 3 hours before a run is a baaaad idea.  Thank goodness there are several bathrooms along my usual running route Embarassed

2012-03-02 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4077586

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
I'm in love with the Hammer nutrition products...I stick with those for all my training and races! They work well and agree with my stomach completely and taste awesome! (for gels & electrolyte supplement) For gummies I love honey stinger, their waffles are really good too!! oh and for a nice treat their chocolate mint protein bar is AMAZING!!!

2012-03-02 11:23 PM
in reply to: #4076686

User image

Champion
ceilidh - 2012-03-02 7:12 AM

christiekate - 2012-03-01 3:48 PM I need a kick in the posterior. I haven't worked out all week. Monday was a rest day, Tuesday I was sick (I have a severe peanut allergy and got exposed at work), last night I ended up skyping with my oldest who is away from home for 3 months, I was supposed to swim at noon but a former coworker showed up for a visit so I visited with her. Sigh. I suckith.

Sounds like you are kicking yourself enough for both of us.

Life gets in the way, just look forward and go from here. You have the weekend to get some quality training in. We can bring out boots for kicking and tasers for prodding, if needed.

x2. Stuff happens. As long as you get back on the horse soon!

2012-03-04 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4074145

User image

Champion

JBougher - 2012-02-29 8:23 PM Great hour bike tonight on the CT. Wattage workout trying to build it up. Racing season is creeping up...

I wish I had a CT.

Getting back on the trainer....good thing I have my guilty pleasures of The Tudors and all my True Blood seasons and now the Game of Thrones series on Tues to keep me company! Oh and I also have some special time with coach troy........haha

2012-03-04 9:04 PM

User image

Champion

Looks like generally people use gels and drinks to fuel workouts when called for. Flavours tend to be personal preference across the board. I HATE strawberry. 

The one thing I will mention related to gels/drinks is that you have to be quite aware what you are unable to tolerate flavor-wise/gel wise, etc because you can have some nasty surprises happen to you on race courses. Try to do your best to experiment in training with nutrition before trying it out the first time during a race. I have quite a hearty stomach (I can take in strawberry gus but I just don't like the taste for some reason)...but some people have very finiky stomachs. A big issue happened with IM when they switched to the Perform drink because it has such a high concentration of glucose and lytes compared to most other formulations and a lot of people who tried it out for the first time during an IM race ended up with GI issues. Perform wasn't approved by the Canadian food and drug admin so I wasn't able to test it out during a race prior to IMLP last summer...I improvised a bit and knowing that I have a hearty stomach, I ended up diluting the Perform with water. So the first station I picked up a waterbottle and drank half and poured half in my aerobottle and then the next station I used half of the Perform with the water in my aerobottle and continued this way. If you tend to be quite sensitive/attached to your own nutrition then sometimes you have no other option but to carry it on the course with you. I was originally going to do this as far as liquids went for IMLP and then I realized that I really didn't want to carry around 2L of fluid on my bike in the Appalachian mountains!  

Another related thing I will mention is taste/consistency fatigue during races, specifically longer ones. By the time I hit about 20-21miles into the marathon I wanted NOTHING to do with gels anymore and did take in more solids (fruit, prezels, M&Ms). So do practice with some easily digestable solids if you are planning long races and think you might run into taste fatigue!

Edited by mndymond 2012-03-04 9:07 PM
2012-03-04 9:12 PM
in reply to: #4074635

User image

Champion
ceilidh - 2012-03-01 7:25 AM

February was the first month in a LONG time that I actually got some decent training in. Not great, not what I wanted, but better than a long time. It is nice to not be sick or have an injury (knocking on wood).

I need more folks to answer the fueling question. I have only used gels when I was training for a HM. I usually don't train long enough to need any special fueling. This year will be different so I am hoping you all can give me some good info.

I'd say I only started adding things above gels/lytes above HIM level. For my HIM, and marathons for that matter, I really only used gels/powerade/gatorade, etc. With the IM training with longer bikes I started to add bananas, fig newtons, "real fruit" gummies, etc. I tend to live off the course for the most part though with the exception of some special treats!  

I bought "The Feed Zone". Its a cookbook and it has some interesting "portable" nutrition ideas to supplement all the gels, etc. Mainly relevant for cycling because people tend to have difficulty tolerating a lot on runs, especially protein. I'll prob try some things out in there since it can get quite $$$ buying gels, energy bars, etc. 

2012-03-04 9:21 PM
in reply to: #4071844

User image

Champion
disturbed275 - 2012-02-28 8:54 PM

Doesn't sound like bursitis (which is a major pain in the a$$ too!). Sounds like piriformis/sciatic nerve related pain--especially with the weakness and shooting pain down the leg. The sciatic nerve runs through the muscles of the lower back/buttocks area and can become irritated due to muscle injury/tightness/spasticity, etc. 

I would agree with Neal's advice from above and would also suggest possibly taking an anti-inflammatory live Aleeve (Naproxen) for 5-10 days twice a day with food to help settle the inflammation down. If you have stomach issues take it less often or with an antacid. If it continues go to your GP. ALso STRETCHING STRETCHING AND MORE STRETCHING. You can google good stretches for sciatic nerve pain (also referred to as sciatica...which they don't like as a term in medicine...but whatever). It is a relatively easy fix with stretching and getting the inflammation down and avoiding triggers like large increases in mileage, etc. It is muscle based compared to spinal column based from a disc/ lumbar spine issue. 

2012-03-04 9:25 PM

User image

Champion

Okay everyone! QOTW: Out of S/B/R, which is your weakest discipline and how are you trying to make progress to get stronger? What have been your key moments to this point that you feel have been breakthroughs for you in this weak discipline?

I have to get to bed now. So I will answer within the next few days!

2012-03-05 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4080130

User image

Veteran
mndymond - 2012-03-04 11:21 PM
disturbed275 - 2012-02-28 8:54 PM

Doesn't sound like bursitis (which is a major pain in the a$$ too!). Sounds like piriformis/sciatic nerve related pain--especially with the weakness and shooting pain down the leg. The sciatic nerve runs through the muscles of the lower back/buttocks area and can become irritated due to muscle injury/tightness/spasticity, etc. 

I would agree with Neal's advice from above and would also suggest possibly taking an anti-inflammatory live Aleeve (Naproxen) for 5-10 days twice a day with food to help settle the inflammation down. If you have stomach issues take it less often or with an antacid. If it continues go to your GP. ALso STRETCHING STRETCHING AND MORE STRETCHING. You can google good stretches for sciatic nerve pain (also referred to as sciatica...which they don't like as a term in medicine...but whatever). It is a relatively easy fix with stretching and getting the inflammation down and avoiding triggers like large increases in mileage, etc. It is muscle based compared to spinal column based from a disc/ lumbar spine issue. 

Thanks. I think you're right. I've been trying some stretches but I should do more. I did a walk/run on the weekend and it felt okay-ish but if I touched the area at all it would flare right up, like touching it caused a cramp/spasm. Anyway I'll keep working on it.

As for the QOTW: Swimming is my weakest discipline. I'd like to add "by far" but that would give too much credit to my bike and run! I plan to swim every day this week as it's my kids' March Break so it's easier to get to the pool. Like a little pool blitz!

2012-03-05 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

My weakest is B.  The last tri I did (4 years ago) I was 13th in swim, 56 in run and 111 in bike.  So, I have a lot of room to improve there.  I've just been riding more.  Even did a spin class.  I think it's just more time on the bike that I need.  My husband commented that I was way faster when we went out two weekends ago- so I think it's paying off.  I also hopped on the elliptical last week and my HR was 10-15 pts lower than it would have been 6 months ago- so I feel I'm really getting somewhere.

I also bought aero bars and got them fitted this weekend.  Took them out for an inaugural spin Sunday and they felt really good!  While I was at the shop getting fitted I did also put down a deposit on a new mountain bike - so we'll see if I like it when it arrives in a few weeks ;-)

Oh, and I think my husband has caught the bug as he's planning to enter an Xterra too!

2012-03-06 8:35 PM
in reply to: #4080133

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
mndymond - 2012-03-04 9:25 PM

Okay everyone! QOTW: Out of S/B/R, which is your weakest discipline and how are you trying to make progress to get stronger? What have been your key moments to this point that you feel have been breakthroughs for you in this weak discipline?

I have to get to bed now. So I will answer within the next few days!

Great, nothing like a QOTW to make me feel guilty Of the three, swimming is far and away my weakness.  To be honest I haven't being spending any time trying to make progress with the discipline.  In fact I think I have only swam 2 or 3 times since Ironman last September.

That said, I have had breakthroughs in the past.  I couple of off seasons ago I went to a heavy swim focus, essentially doubling my typical monthly volume.  By the time race season rolled around I knocked 10-20 seconds off my 100 yd pace in races.  So I know I can make improvements if I work at it.  It's just a matter of getting motivated to do so

2012-03-07 8:33 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Well, I am not particularly good at any of the three, however the bike is my absolute worst. This is solely from the terror I have of riding on the road. I just don't get out enough to get better. When I am on roads without any traffic or nice wide bike lanes, I FLY and LOVE being on the bike. The same thing for mountain biking, it is wonderful.

2012-03-07 10:44 PM

User image

Champion

Hey guys,

Here is my answer to my QOTW:

My weakest discipline is running. Been that way for a LONG time. I normally come out of the water top 5-10 depending on the race field size and then a bit in the bike...but the run is where I lose the most. I've mentioned it before but for IMLP I was 300/2500 for the swim and I ended up 1750th or somewhere around there....that's a lot fo ppl that passed me. haha.

I have gotten quite a bit stronger over the past 4 years of triathlon in running. I normally spend winter on a run focused plan and then cut back a bit as the year goes on. Last year was one of the best running wise. I ended up PRing my 10km time in triathlon...still haven't done a solo 10km since to determine my "new" 10km time.

Need to get my weight down a bit to cut down more time I think...as well as running consistently. Its hard this year to this point, but I really just need to make it a priority and get er done. Even at the end of a day of standing around and on tired legs. NEED TO GET ER DONE!  

2012-03-07 10:48 PM
in reply to: #4081218

User image

Champion
Moonrocket - 2012-03-05 12:48 PM

My weakest is B.  The last tri I did (4 years ago) I was 13th in swim, 56 in run and 111 in bike.  So, I have a lot of room to improve there.  I've just been riding more.  Even did a spin class.  I think it's just more time on the bike that I need.  My husband commented that I was way faster when we went out two weekends ago- so I think it's paying off.  I also hopped on the elliptical last week and my HR was 10-15 pts lower than it would have been 6 months ago- so I feel I'm really getting somewhere.

I also bought aero bars and got them fitted this weekend.  Took them out for an inaugural spin Sunday and they felt really good!  While I was at the shop getting fitted I did also put down a deposit on a new mountain bike - so we'll see if I like it when it arrives in a few weeks ;-)

Oh, and I think my husband has caught the bug as he's planning to enter an Xterra too!

Great! Always nice to get friends and family involved in the sport too! Haha.

You've got it right. The best bang for your buck as far as improving your bike is to spend more time in the saddle! Keep working at it!

2012-03-07 10:51 PM
in reply to: #4084421

User image

Champion

ceilidh - 2012-03-07 7:33 AM Well, I am not particularly good at any of the three, however the bike is my absolute worst. This is solely from the terror I have of riding on the road. I just don't get out enough to get better. When I am on roads without any traffic or nice wide bike lanes, I FLY and LOVE being on the bike. The same thing for mountain biking, it is wonderful.

There has been a shift by a lot of pros to doing the majority of their training rides on the trainer. For safety and for better focused training sessions where you don't have to worry about hazards, wind, etc. 

I generally only ride on roads with wide shoulders. We are lucky in Alberta to have wide shoulders on a lot of our secondary highways. Still busy with cars, but I feel okay on them now. I was a bit nervous at first! 

I see you have signed up for a marathon Robin! That is great! (FB told me so!)

2012-03-08 7:28 AM
in reply to: #4085918

User image

Champion
Bronze member
mndymond - 2012-03-07 11:51 PM

ceilidh - 2012-03-07 7:33 AM Well, I am not particularly good at any of the three, however the bike is my absolute worst. This is solely from the terror I have of riding on the road. I just don't get out enough to get better. When I am on roads without any traffic or nice wide bike lanes, I FLY and LOVE being on the bike. The same thing for mountain biking, it is wonderful.

There has been a shift by a lot of pros to doing the majority of their training rides on the trainer. For safety and for better focused training sessions where you don't have to worry about hazards, wind, etc. 

I generally only ride on roads with wide shoulders. We are lucky in Alberta to have wide shoulders on a lot of our secondary highways. Still busy with cars, but I feel okay on them now. I was a bit nervous at first! 

I see you have signed up for a marathon Robin! That is great! (FB told me so!)

I am not sure what I was/ am thinking. I have very little time to train as it is. At least it is in October so I have plenty of time.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Mentor group---Full! Rss Feed  

of 18