BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2012-03-08 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3949904

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session)
"Jason, do you EVER take a day off?!?"

Every once in awhile. I think it is probably time. My coach is driving the bus. I just execute the workouts he sends me. I did let him know how I am feeling and that I may need a day or two of rest and recovery.

2012-03-08 10:00 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
dreaded double post.

Edited by wannabefaster 2012-03-08 10:00 PM
2012-03-09 8:53 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
It is amazing what a couple thousand calories and a good night's sleep can do for you. Not back to baseline but feeling much better--like maybe tomorrow's run may not be quite the misery I was expecting
2012-03-09 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4088332

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

Jason, I bet with the hours of training you put in it can be easy to not eat enough. Glad you feel better.

I plan on getting in a 35 mile bike ride in on Saturday and 7 mile run on Sunday. I am also going to try and sneak in a swim on one of those days but it is looking like my weekend is filling up with family activities. - Brian

2012-03-09 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4087885

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
wannabefaster - 2012-03-08 10:00 PM"Jason, do you EVER take a day off?!?"Every once in awhile. I think it is probably time. My coach is driving the bus. I just execute the workouts he sends me. I did let him know how I am feeling and that I may need a day or two of rest and recovery.
Tell your coach if he doesn't stop the bus every once in a while, it will RUN OUT OF GAS! (Sorry, couldn't help myself , the metaphor was begging to be used! ) I know different coaches have different training philosophy's, and you are obviously talented and motivated, so I hope it works for you. Glad you are feeling better today!! --Ali
2012-03-11 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Getting pretty excited for a long run here today! Temp. Is already above 0 and rising!

2012-03-11 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4089274

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Omahabritt - 2012-03-09 5:24 PM

wannabefaster - 2012-03-08 10:00 PM"Jason, do you EVER take a day off?!?"Every once in awhile. I think it is probably time. My coach is driving the bus. I just execute the workouts he sends me. I did let him know how I am feeling and that I may need a day or two of rest and recovery.
Tell your coach if he doesn't stop the bus every once in a while, it will RUN OUT OF GAS! (Sorry, couldn't help myself , the metaphor was begging to be used! ) I know different coaches have different training philosophy's, and you are obviously talented and motivated, so I hope it works for you. Glad you are feeling better today!! --Ali

Thanks for the well wishes. I think I managed to refill the tank and had a really nice weekend of workouts. I too hope that my coach knows what he is doing. I have made amazing improvements since signing on with him so I will just keep on keeping on. Saturday's run was a lesson in perserverance and just toughing it out but it was good.

Today I felt great even on very tired legs. I am actually stuck at work today so I brought in my bike and trainer and rode in the call room. I then did a run with laps around the hospital (it is really quiet here today if you didn't guess). I love working out while in the hospital/at work. My wife and I always kid that this is as close as I will ever get to being a professional triathlete: getting paid to work out

Justin, how was your run? I hope it was awesome. It was over 60 degrees outside so mine was fantastic.

Anyone else have anything fun, cool or interesting from the weekend?
2012-03-11 8:18 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Jason, glad to hear you training is going so well. I hear you about training at work. I used to do P90X on my midnight shifts at the airport.

My run was great, it was above 10C and the roads where mostly clear, a little slushy in some spots. I still am getting some numbness in my right foot though, I talked to my buddy who runs a lot more than i do and he said my shoes where to tight maybe, but I loosened them right up and still got the numbness. Maybe it is time for some new shoes all together.
2012-03-11 8:30 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

My week in a nutshell...

Ordered a pizza halfway through my trainer ride wednesday night, delivery guy was a bit weirded out when he came to the door.

Could have used a gel 5 minutes into my run tonight, the last 85 were spent in survival mode.

Tripped on the treadmill during my threshold hill run thursday. Caught myself before I went down face first. Girl next to me (who was running while holding onto the safety bars) told me I should haven't the incline so high (3%), she was at 0%.

Labs make great training partners sometimes, other times not so much

I have been given another reminder from my body that good eating, and decent sleep time go a LONG way in training respsonse. No food in the fridge this week, no time to grocery shop and ran off about 4-5 hours sleep a night this week. 

2012-03-11 8:33 PM
in reply to: #4087688

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

wannabefaster - 2012-03-08 7:14 PM
BMiller71 - 2012-03-07 12:43 AM All of you Northerners are really making me feel guilty for running on the treadmill! Well I officially signed up for my first tri on April 22nd which will be an olympic distance. I am feeling fairly confident but definitely need to log in some pool hours.
I am a Northerner who spends a lot of quality time on my treadmill. I refuse to be ashamed of my love of the tready. Congratulations on signing up for an Olympic. I find that it is always easier to put in the work when there is a definite goal in sight. As for me, I have abruptly run out of energy. I am suddenly running on fumes. This weekend is going to be rough with a lot of work and a lot of training but I am going to try to push through. If it doesn't kill me it should make me stronger Does anyone else have plans for the weekend?

I will echo Jasons statements here. Hated the treadmill til I got on, and now I love it for certain runs, but not for everyday.

Congrats as well signing up for the race. I always feel that my desire and motivation increase once my money is gone to the race. That said I should probably register for my planned races this summer. 

2012-03-11 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4091167

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

wannabefaster - 2012-03-11 7:54 PM
Omahabritt - 2012-03-09 5:24 PM
Thanks for the well wishes. I think I managed to refill the tank and had a really nice weekend of workouts. I too hope that my coach knows what he is doing. I have made amazing improvements since signing on with him so I will just keep on keeping on. Saturday's run was a lesson in perserverance and just toughing it out but it was good. Today I felt great even on very tired legs. I am actually stuck at work today so I brought in my bike and trainer and rode in the call room. I then did a run with laps around the hospital (it is really quiet here today if you didn't guess). I love working out while in the hospital/at work. My wife and I always kid that this is as close as I will ever get to being a professional triathlete: getting paid to work out Justin, how was your run? I hope it was awesome. It was over 60 degrees outside so mine was fantastic. Anyone else have anything fun, cool or interesting from the weekend?

Glad to see your feeling better. It is a hard line to stay on the correct side of with training and overtraining. What makes it even harder is that everyones body is completely different. I am still finding my sweet spot, but I am starting to learn to listen to my body more and more.

With a coach is gets tricky, but that hardest part is trusting a coach through to the end. Good luck on your final month going into Boston. At this rate it should be rather warm for race day!

2012-03-11 8:39 PM
in reply to: #4091193

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

justinfss - 2012-03-11 8:18 PM Jason, glad to hear you training is going so well. I hear you about training at work. I used to do P90X on my midnight shifts at the airport.

My run was great, it was above 10C and the roads where mostly clear, a little slushy in some spots. I still am getting some numbness in my right foot though, I talked to my buddy who runs a lot more than i do and he said my shoes where to tight maybe, but I loosened them right up and still got the numbness. Maybe it is time for some new shoes all together.

New shoes and a new model. What type of shoe are you running on? Neutral, stability, minimalist, etc? Getting your gait analyzed could go a long way in deciding what could be causing your numbness. FWIW I have been switching models every time I change shoes, still haven't found the perfect shoe, but I seem to be getting better each time. 

2012-03-11 9:09 PM
in reply to: #4091193

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
justinfss - 2012-03-11 8:18 PMJason, glad to hear you training is going so well. I hear you about training at work. I used to do P90X on my midnight shifts at the airport.

Justin, so glad you got a good run in! I think it was actually about the same temp here today! It was raining though, which made for a good run but chilly bike. Cut the bike short due to time (spent most of the afternoon in a marathon Monopoly game w/the family) and temp, but will make it up this week. I don't know what to say about the numbness, other than it might be your shoes. Have you ever had someone look at your feet and your gait. I remember the 1st time someone did mine...I have no arches, so I need stability shoes that create one for me. Jason, that's great you were able to get your workouts in at work! And you ran outside on Saturday too, looks like the weekend turned out ok for you after all!!
2012-03-11 9:17 PM
in reply to: #4091209

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
bcagle25 - 2012-03-11 8:30 PM

My week in a nutshell...

Ordered a pizza halfway through my trainer ride wednesday night, delivery guy was a bit weirded out when he came to the door.

Could have used a gel 5 minutes into my run tonight, the last 85 were spent in survival mode.

Tripped on the treadmill during my threshold hill run thursday. Caught myself before I went down face first. Girl next to me (who was running while holding onto the safety bars) told me I should haven't the incline so high (3%), she was at 0%.

Labs make great training partners sometimes, other times not so much

I have been given another reminder from my body that good eating, and decent sleep time go a LONG way in training respsonse. No food in the fridge this week, no time to grocery shop and ran off about 4-5 hours sleep a night this week. 

Ben, yikes, looks like you are probably happy to have this week done!!! Sorry you had such a rough one, hopefully this week will be better, hope you're able to get some food and sleep!! ---Ali
2012-03-11 10:29 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
bcagle25--Ordered a pizza halfway through my trainer ride wednesday night, delivery guy was a bit weirded out when he came to the door.

Funny story. Last year I was getting in an epic trainer ride in my call room at the hospital. Someone must have wandered by and wondered what was going on (whirring sound. loud tv, fan running, grunts of pain......) and called security.

Knock, knock. Me sweating like a pig, wearing only the smallest pair of tri shorts I own and a pair of shoes (and a smile...). No shirt and these shorts are embarrassing how little they cover--I really don't wear them in public. I hear, "Security, please open the door."

I think I should find a shirt, then I think, screw that, this is my call room. I'll wear what I want.

Open the door, 60 + year old mall-cop type security guard.

His eyes about pop out of his head at seeing this skinny (maybe emaciated), basically naked sweaty guy in the room.

Me, "Is there a problem?"

Him, "what are you doing in there?"

"Ummmm, getting a workout"

"Well, keep it down."

I still laugh thinking about the conversation he probably had with the other security guards about that night.

Regular, non-tri people are just not psychically ready to encounter guys in tri clothes. Hope your pizza guy is not too traumatized

2012-03-12 8:02 PM

Regular
Nice.  Should have offered him a spin!

2012-03-13 9:27 PM

Regular

Knocked out a solid 7.75 mile run tonight.  Felt pretty strong and pushed through some soreness.  Have been really focusing on the heart rate/cadence combo - for me a HR of around 165 and cadence 85+ is the target.  Just missed both (167/83) but still really happy.  Short jog tomorrow and perhaps a trainer bike ride.  

How is everyone else doing this week?

2012-03-13 9:54 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Great Masters class tonight with some great sprint sets that really got my heart going. Getting used to all the kicking and pulling now too, although my back got at little sore after a cool down 450m kick set. Anyone have any thoughts on a good body position to avoid this while kicking?

... More great news, it has been above 0 for the last three days here! The snow is all melting!!!
2012-03-13 10:52 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Anyone ever get a sore throat after a run?

I've been getting a mildly sore throat on occasion these days and THINK I have it sussed out to happening following a run. It lasts about a day, just a little hard to swallow.

2012-03-14 5:09 AM

Regular

I have had a raspy, sore throat after longer activities, both bike and run (3-4 hr+ workouts and races).  Similar to you, it goes away after a day or so; I think mine is caused by the way I breathe when I get a strong HR going, esp. in dry air.

Interesting re: the sore back after swim.  I have been lucky in that swim is the ultimate in recovery for my back... that said, perhaps fatigue/form breakdown in the cool down is the culprit.  I know that my form meanders a bit if I am going too slow.

2012-03-14 6:36 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
That could be it for sure, it was the end of a pretty intense session, it just felt hard to hold my head out of water.

I find that I sometimes get a little cough after a long run but I also feel that the exertion helps keep the actual cold and flu at bay. I know that when you stress yourself out enough in training you can break down and you imune system will take a hit, but I feel like the benefits and stress relief that comes with training really helps to keep me healthy.

Edited by justinfss 2012-03-14 11:42 AM

2012-03-14 9:46 PM
in reply to: #4095475

User image

Veteran
Richmond

I found that using my gym's whirlpool and sauna for back pain is a real help. 

I had an extreme strength session tonight with my PT, pretty exhausted and ready for bed.  I also made a PB on my TT course today, averaged 20.5 mph for 14.75 miles.

Anyone have any races coming up?  

Edited by mdfahy 2012-03-14 9:47 PM
2012-03-14 10:15 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Thanks for the tip, all the fast swimmers gather in the hot tub after the masters class, I usually need the entire allotted time to finish up after I am finished deciphering the drills and what I am supposed to do.

Great ride too! It is almost warm enough here to break out the bike again.

I almost bought some new shoes tonight. I tried on some New Balance minimus's and the Saucony Kinavara 2's, both felt great but I decides to do some more research, I am leaning towards the Saucony's though and I found them for a lot cheaper online!

Anyone have any shoe recommends for me? I am trying to go a little more towards the barefoot trend after reading born to run.
2012-03-15 10:03 AM
in reply to: #4096973

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I do the vast majority of my miles in Saucony Kinvaras and really like them. They are really light weight yet still pretty well cushioned. They have worn quite well for me also. My only comment is that I think my calves sometimes get a little sore from long runs in them which you would expect from a shoe with very minimal drop. I have been able to get them consistently for right around $60.

I don't know much about the Minimus except that I think it has less cushioning...
2012-03-15 10:43 PM

Regular

I try to hit the hot tub after a swim as well.  Most swim workouts are the second part of a run/swim brick for me, so the whirlpool really helps.  

I am really psyched; got into beacon to beach this morning, a really hard 10k to get into.  Finally a schedule is starting to form...

Any big work outs planned for the weekend?  I have a 1.75 hr run on the list for Sunday, and an hour of something (I may bike) Saturday.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session) Rss Feed  

of 19