BT Development Mentor Program Archives » light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2008-05-30 5:31 PM
in reply to: #1434192

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED
Jenni G - 2008-05-30 1:37 PM

I just found out my partner for the San Francisco marathon has to drop out due to injury. Not sure how I feel about it yet, but I'm leaning toward relief. I just got my summer back! And now, I can focus on nailing down the swim and bike this year. That's a definate plus. And I just saved buckets of money on the trip out to the coast, so the shoes and pedals are even closer to being in my hot little hands. Hate to bail on a committment, though. I was half way through the training. But it just wouldn't have the same without her and I have so much on my plate this year. I guess everything works out for the best.

Now, I need more stuff to put into my goals section! 

I know EXACTLY how you feel - not that long ago I pulled out of a relay race I was supposed to run in early June - half-marathon distance - and since I made the decision not to go I've felt nothing but relief. Don't have to deal with the expense and hassle of travelling to the race, and it takes a huge load off my training schedule.

But sad that you won't be going to San Francisco. It's my favorite city. I will be there in 8 more sleeps!!!

2008-05-30 6:09 PM
in reply to: #1433146

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria

wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-30 10:33 AM Hey folks - anyone have any fun plans for the weekend? I am FINALLY doing my first sprint of the season on Sunday. (April race was pouring rain and I canned it) Looks like the weather is going to be good too and the outdoor pool has magically risen to 75 degrees! Hooray! I have two BBQs that afternoon and have to find time tomorrow to make something for both - yikes! Bringing a baked good to one, and unsure yet as to what I will be bringing to the other. AND I'm going to dinner with my sis that night - that's a LOT of food!

Lots of chatting over night while I'm asleep.

Have a great time at you race this weekend. Kick A.

Oh, and enjoy all the food.

2008-05-31 6:14 AM
in reply to: #1349986

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
This weekend I'm doing my last Tri of this short run of races tomorrow and celebrating my birthday. To be honest I can't think of a better way to start my birthday. On the down side I've been asked to attend a meeting/dinner with my new boss (I don't start with the company for another 2 months but she's on a 3 day visit to the UK so this is the only chance to meet before I start). I'm a bit nervous about that and it's a shame I can't spend it alone with my fiance but he's meeting me for drinks after.
2008-05-31 6:34 AM
in reply to: #1435044

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria

Kate_r - 2008-05-31 6:14 AM This weekend I'm doing my last Tri of this short run of races tomorrow and celebrating my birthday. To be honest I can't think of a better way to start my birthday. On the down side I've been asked to attend a meeting/dinner with my new boss (I don't start with the company for another 2 months but she's on a 3 day visit to the UK so this is the only chance to meet before I start). I'm a bit nervous about that and it's a shame I can't spend it alone with my fiance but he's meeting me for drinks after.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Have a great time at your race.

2008-05-31 12:28 PM
in reply to: #1435053

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Kate - have a great birthday! It sounds like it's going to be a great day, new boss and all. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU .... and maaany moooooooooore ... ;-)

You know - it just occurs to me that I know someone else in Glasgow ... my cousin is over there, he's a Grad Student at The Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama ... he keeps facebooking about all his adventures ... lucky bugger, he is.

I personally can't wait to visit Scotland, you will laugh and call me a silly tourist - but I want to go on the Rebus Tour in Edinburgh SO BAD! I worship at the altar of Ian Rankin.

So what's on tap today peeps? I did not sleep at all last night - I feel like shite today, and am totally stressed out again. Not a good thing, since my mother arrives tomorrow for a 3 week visit. It's good, I love my mother and am very excited to see her, but I just don't know where I'm going to find the time to be a proper host.
I might go for a run today, if I can shake this headache. Or it could be my body's way of telling me to slow down ... who knows.
2008-06-01 10:28 AM
in reply to: #1435321

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
How's everyone's weekend shaping up? How's all the racing going? I've been thinking of you guys. Let us know!

My mother arrives today, for 3 weeks. This is mostly good, I do love my mother very much and actually really enjoy spending time with her when my father's not around (he's miserable and cranky most of the time and just ruins stuff) ... so we've got a week together, then I go to San Francisco next weekend for the week - she stays home to take care of the "grand-dog and grand-cat", totally her idea she always does this whenever I travel, secretly I think she wants the break from my father ... then we've got one more week together before she flies home.

I have a feeling my training and my studying will both suffer greatly. But I'm not giving up the opportunity to do great stuff with my great mom, just to stay inside and study or just to get that long bike ride in. So I'm ok with it. ;-)

2008-06-01 6:28 PM

User image

Colorado

Happy Birthday Kate!  Enjoy your time with your mom, Trina.

I just got extremely NERVOUS about my first triathlon!!!!!!!!  This morning was my first OWS at the same reservoir my first tri will be held at and I didn't make it!  I came back to shore on a rescue boat thingy because I had an asthma attack.  Now I am really freaking out.  It was with my tri group and I can only imagine how much worse it will be with people trying to swim over me and all that crap!  Anyway, I'm not sure about the asthma thing.  It may have been because it was cold, because there were alot of waves (and I inhaled some water right off the bat--that couldn't have helped the situation) or, most likely, I was trying to go too fast to keep up--and all the other stuff contributed to it not clearing up.  I felt like such a loser today

2008-06-01 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1436852

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
AndriaLL - 2008-06-01 6:28 PM

I just got extremely NERVOUS about my first triathlon!!!!!!!!  This morning was my first OWS at the same reservoir my first tri will be held at and I didn't make it!  I came back to shore on a rescue boat thingy because I had an asthma attack.  Now I am really freaking out.  It was with my tri group and I can only imagine how much worse it will be with people trying to swim over me and all that crap!  Anyway, I'm not sure about the asthma thing.  It may have been because it was cold, because there were alot of waves (and I inhaled some water right off the bat--that couldn't have helped the situation) or, most likely, I was trying to go too fast to keep up--and all the other stuff contributed to it not clearing up.  I felt like such a loser today

That doesn't sound fun, but you can't let it get to you. You need to relax about the swim and if you feel over come just roll onto your back until you settle down. RELAX you'll do fine, you've done the work. Have faith in yourself.

2008-06-01 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

Hope you guys have had a smashing weekend.   

Tammie are you getting any of this rain???  It's been pouring here since 7:30 last night!  O_O  

Kate I can't wait to read your race report!   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  I left you a birthday inspire - You'll have to tell us what's the actual date of your birthday (too confusing with all these time differences here...)

Andrea!  Well done in your first race!  (can't wait to read your report either   

2008-06-01 9:29 PM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
We have beautiful blue skies here but it's cold. Still only 5*C at 9:15.
2008-06-02 8:07 AM

How was everyone's weekend? The race went pretty well yesterday morning My RR will be up once I have my individual event times - they've posted overall times, and from that I could figure out my AG standing. Finished nice solid middle of the pack-ish, depending on how you determine - most people say it's a bell curve, so I'm definitely right in the middle - 96th place of 197 overall, and I think 11 of 26 in my AG.

In brief: swim was good, easy 400 meters in a pool. No traffic jams. Bike was good, for me. A few fast-ish descents that scared me a little, mostly because on loops 2 and 3, there were more people, and more slow people, so I wanted to avoid rear-ending any of them - so I feathered the brakes a bit. And one really sucky uphill that we had to do, of course, 3 times towards the end of each loop. But overall, I managed a respectable speed. Run was hilly - blech. But my time was better than my other two race-5k splits, I think

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-06-02 8:11 AM

2008-06-02 8:58 AM
in reply to: #1437691

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
GREAT JOB! My first race is this Sunday. Can't wait.
2008-06-02 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
AndriaLL - 2008-06-01 4:28 PM

Andria - don't feel like a loser - you are not! The very same thing happened to me in my first really cold OWS ... during a race, unfortunately, and I had to DNF ... turns out I have exercise induced asthma, brought on by the cold ... however I also think it is also as you said - the excitement of the day, getting a mouthful or two of water, and working too hard instead of relaxing ... the cold doesn't help though!

This year I'm doing alright in the cold water. Still feeling it a bit - but the trick is to go at your own pace and remember to RELAX ... makes a huge difference.
2008-06-02 2:29 PM
in reply to: #1438657

User image

Colorado
SpiritFire - 2008-06-02 11:21 AM
AndriaLL - 2008-06-01 4:28 PM

Andria - don't feel like a loser - you are not! The very same thing happened to me in my first really cold OWS ... during a race, unfortunately, and I had to DNF ... turns out I have exercise induced asthma, brought on by the cold ... however I also think it is also as you said - the excitement of the day, getting a mouthful or two of water, and working too hard instead of relaxing ... the cold doesn't help though! This year I'm doing alright in the cold water. Still feeling it a bit - but the trick is to go at your own pace and remember to RELAX ... makes a huge difference.

Thanks, I just printed out my tri group schedule for OWSs and it looks like I can get in Tuesday and Friday evenings--that's 4 OWSs between now and my race.   I don't think I should leave my wetsuit in my car on hot sunny days, so hopefully I won't look too suspicious sneaking out of work early with my wetsuit   Then again, it is a life threatening situation and I'm sure they'd understand.....LOL!  (I'm not even supposed to be back at work from the nephrectomy yet except that they threatened to let me go).  Add the rehearsal for the race and that will be 5 OWSs max before my race.  I hope that's enough!

2008-06-02 2:32 PM
in reply to: #1437691

User image

Colorado
wurkit_gurl - 2008-06-02 7:07 AM

How was everyone's weekend? The race went pretty well yesterday morning My RR will be up once I have my individual event times - they've posted overall times, and from that I could figure out my AG standing. Finished nice solid middle of the pack-ish, depending on how you determine - most people say it's a bell curve, so I'm definitely right in the middle - 96th place of 197 overall, and I think 11 of 26 in my AG.

In brief: swim was good, easy 400 meters in a pool. No traffic jams. Bike was good, for me. A few fast-ish descents that scared me a little, mostly because on loops 2 and 3, there were more people, and more slow people, so I wanted to avoid rear-ending any of them - so I feathered the brakes a bit. And one really sucky uphill that we had to do, of course, 3 times towards the end of each loop. But overall, I managed a respectable speed. Run was hilly - blech. But my time was better than my other two race-5k splits, I think

Congratulations!  I'd be happy with that   Let us know when that report is up.

2008-06-02 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1439223

AndriaLL - 2008-06-02 3:32 PM
wurkit_gurl - 2008-06-02 7:07 AM

Congratulations!  I'd be happy with that   Let us know when that report is up.

Will do - they haven't posted anyone's individual leg splits yet. Hopefully by tonight, they said.

2008-06-02 7:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
??? Is it the caps or where your ... are placed that is the problem? I'm clueless on grammar (as are most people) - don't worry about it.
2008-06-02 7:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
AndriaLL - 2008-06-01 7:28 PM

I had almost the same experience and felt EXACTLY the same way after -- (I don't have asthma so I chocked mine up to a panic attack). I was actually in my first tri and I ended up stripping my wetsuit off to give to the guy in the canoe b/c I couldn't breath and b/c I couldn't even put my face in the water I swam on my back for the last 80% of the race. Needless to say - 600 yds took almost 20 mintues. BUT -- I went to a friends lake a week or so later, tried it again and it was 100% better. I got the cold chest fear/compression/panic for a few seconds but I kept telling myself "keep calm, get in your rhythm" and after a few seconds of focusing entirely on getting into it I actually did. I have had one other OWS swim since (Oly tri) and it was great again!

Just go out again with some mantra that will keep your mind focused long enough for your body to adjust to the temp change and to get into that rhythm and you will do great!!
2008-06-02 7:33 PM
in reply to: #1440075

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

I'm lookign forawrd to reading all these race reports as they come in. 

Congrats to all who raced over the weekend (I've left little notes in your logs)  

Ahhh....  The suns out!  FINALLY! 

2008-06-02 8:00 PM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
Yes, well it seems you've taken our sun down here. It's 11:00am and I still surrounded by fog. I was going out for a ride today but, no, not riding when visibility is compromised so the trainer it is for meFrown.
2008-06-02 8:52 PM

Dangit - they're not putting up the splits, etc for the race from Sunday until tomorrow at 9, now. Grrr...I want to write my RR!

2008-06-03 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Sorry for the slight absence since the race - I've been having a manic week. The race (Sun morning in the UK) was on my birthday, we didn't get off to a great start - I slept in. So I was rushed, had no proper food and ended up cramming in a carb bar that tasted foul and kept repeating on me!

That said I had a great time. The swim was a little poorer than I had hoped, mainly due to my problems with a realistic time, the cycle seemed hard but I really enjoyed it and the run was fab for me. Overall I am totally psyched about triathlons and still loving it. I've been revelling in the afterglow ever since. I'm so pleased with myself. I finished 111 out of 144 - which was great for me! I'm so, so happy.

The only down bit was the sports massage I had after. I explained that my back often gave me trouble so she worked on that and my hips but a lot of what she was doing was really painful. I asked if it should be that painful and she said it was normal to have a bit of pain. Later that night I looked at my back and I had some quite deep and very painful bruises where she was digging her elbow in. I'm sure that's not the intended impact but even 2 days after the event it's still present and hurts when I run.
2008-06-03 5:12 PM
in reply to: #1442728

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Kate_r - 2008-06-03 5:27 PM

Sorry for the slight absence since the race - I've been having a manic week. The race (Sun morning in the UK) was on my birthday, we didn't get off to a great start - I slept in. So I was rushed, had no proper food and ended up cramming in a carb bar that tasted foul and kept repeating on me!

That said I had a great time. The swim was a little poorer than I had hoped, mainly due to my problems with a realistic time, the cycle seemed hard but I really enjoyed it and the run was fab for me. Overall I am totally psyched about triathlons and still loving it. I've been revelling in the afterglow ever since. I'm so pleased with myself. I finished 111 out of 144 - which was great for me! I'm so, so happy.

The only down bit was the sports massage I had after. I explained that my back often gave me trouble so she worked on that and my hips but a lot of what she was doing was really painful. I asked if it should be that painful and she said it was normal to have a bit of pain. Later that night I looked at my back and I had some quite deep and very painful bruises where she was digging her elbow in. I'm sure that's not the intended impact but even 2 days after the event it's still present and hurts when I run.

Congrats on the race! Stinker on the bruises -- hope you heal up soon and that it is not so bad you have to see anyone about.
2008-06-03 7:19 PM

Okay, the RR is FINALLY up, as they've finally posted the full results. So my AG rank was 10/22, not 26 - forgot not to count the athenas...oops!
2008-06-03 10:51 PM
in reply to: #1442728

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria

Kate_r - 2008-06-03 4:27 PM Sorry for the slight absence since the race - I've been having a manic week. The race (Sun morning in the UK) was on my birthday, we didn't get off to a great start - I slept in. So I was rushed, had no proper food and ended up cramming in a carb bar that tasted foul and kept repeating on me! That said I had a great time. The swim was a little poorer than I had hoped, mainly due to my problems with a realistic time, the cycle seemed hard but I really enjoyed it and the run was fab for me. Overall I am totally psyched about triathlons and still loving it. I've been revelling in the afterglow ever since. I'm so pleased with myself. I finished 111 out of 144 - which was great for me! I'm so, so happy. The only down bit was the sports massage I had after. I explained that my back often gave me trouble so she worked on that and my hips but a lot of what she was doing was really painful. I asked if it should be that painful and she said it was normal to have a bit of pain. Later that night I looked at my back and I had some quite deep and very painful bruises where she was digging her elbow in. I'm sure that's not the intended impact but even 2 days after the event it's still present and hurts when I run.

Whenever I have a professional masage I always have a bruised feeling for a few days, not often visible bruising but I don't bruise easily. The therapist usually warn me about this and say its to be expected. They often have to go quite deep to have the desired effect which can lead to some soft tissue trauma. The massages always fix the problem. They do hurt tho' which is why I don't have them often enough. I'm a wimp at heart.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23