BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz winter training group is FULL!!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2009-03-03 11:47 AM
in reply to: #1858045

Subject: RE: Newbz winter training group is FULL!!!!!
How critical is it that I get on an actual "program".  Basically, I've trimmed my strength training down to 2 days a week (well...a very short legs routine on the weekends) and the rest of the week has been about getting used to, and building base endurance in the other sports.  I'm not currently on a tri-training program and can't decide if I want to be...part of me does, part of me doesn't want to throw a monkey wrench into my current training which I think has been fairly effective.  I think maybe this is why I still haven't signed up for a spring tri yet. One, not sure which one to do, but two - now's the time for me to hop on a program if I'm going to do so.  I'm also not sure what the right program for me would be.

2009-03-03 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Malcolm, I obviously have a bias towards a good cardio fitness level.  I think I could get pretty strong, but have never spent that much time doing so, so  when I have gotten pretty good at things in the past (running, cycling, rowing), it has been cardio based.

So again my comments are baised:

I have a rowing friend from OSU that got into Olympic Style weightlifing over the past few years.  His best combined totals in his weight class (207 lbs) is 565lbs for the snatch and the clean and jerk combined.  I just spoke with him this weekend though and he has decided to de-emphasize weight lifting it in favor of hours spent on something that is more well rounded.  I was glad to hear it (again because of my bias).

So, if you did decide to go forward and spend more time running/cycling/swimming/other cardio, then I think that is a healthier lifestyle than one spent lifting most of the time with some other things thrown in at the edges.

Also, the competition opportunities are a lot of fun in triathlon than a lot of other pusuits.

I give you "one thumb up" for going forward over the next season (and more if we are able to stick with it) with triathlon and cutting the lifting back to 2 times a week.  Keep it in your program at that level for astetic balance, fun, and useful strength of your muscles, tendons and bones.  Use the remainder of the time for triathlon which puts an emphasis on cardio, endurance, and weight training, that is necessary for a wholistic view of our health as we approach middle age (or dwell well within it as I do).

Edited by DieuEtMonDroit 2009-03-03 1:02 PM
2009-03-03 7:25 PM
in reply to: #1994066

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
EightmanVT - 2009-03-03 11:07 AM
gojogo - 2009-03-03 11:34 AM

Down fall right now is that I'm always hungry.

Congrats on the continued weight loss! Being always hungry is a great thing! Means your engine is up and running at a much higher level than it was before - I bet your RMR has increased.

I agree, hungry is a good thing.  I'm not sure what you're eating habits are but I'm a huge advocate of the 5-6 small meals a day plan.  I keep a stash of fruit, nuts and other healthy snacks at the office and whenever I feel hunger coming on I'll graze a little bit.  That way I'm never hungry and never eat an overly large meal.  And those small "meals" keep the metabolism going all day long.

2009-03-03 9:54 PM
in reply to: #1995281

User image

Champion
posting this simply because people have found it so amusing today.

i have litterly eatin everything in sight today. i decided to take today off aside from swimming, and my body FREAKED OUT.

i have been eating since i woke up this morning. i am pretty sure i may have just put back on everything i have lost in the past month. i am currently on meal 6 of the day.
2009-03-04 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
I need to start eating small meals more often.  I am more of a small breakfast, big lunch, huge dinner eater.
2009-03-04 10:30 AM
in reply to: #1994380

DieuEtMonDroit - 2009-03-03 1:57 PM

Malcolm, I obviously have a bias towards a good cardio fitness level.  I think I could get pretty strong, but have never spent that much time doing so, so  when I have gotten pretty good at things in the past (running, cycling, rowing), it has been cardio based.

So again my comments are baised:

I have a rowing friend from OSU that got into Olympic Style weightlifing over the past few years.  His best combined totals in his weight class (207 lbs) is 565lbs for the snatch and the clean and jerk combined.  I just spoke with him this weekend though and he has decided to de-emphasize weight lifting it in favor of hours spent on something that is more well rounded.  I was glad to hear it (again because of my bias).

So, if you did decide to go forward and spend more time running/cycling/swimming/other cardio, then I think that is a healthier lifestyle than one spent lifting most of the time with some other things thrown in at the edges.

Also, the competition opportunities are a lot of fun in triathlon than a lot of other pusuits.

I give you "one thumb up" for going forward over the next season (and more if we are able to stick with it) with triathlon and cutting the lifting back to 2 times a week.  Keep it in your program at that level for astetic balance, fun, and useful strength of your muscles, tendons and bones.  Use the remainder of the time for triathlon which puts an emphasis on cardio, endurance, and weight training, that is necessary for a wholistic view of our health as we approach middle age (or dwell well within it as I do).

Well...first...I'm going to do my very best not to hold the fact that you're an OSU grad against you.... Ok...I tried...I can't help it!! ;-

I agree with the bulk of your points - I think I've already moved to a different paradigm regarding how I exercise (as well as when)  I don't think 2 strength training days a week is too bad...not when I'm currently getting 5 cardio exercise sessions in addition to that - and once it warms up - will get at least one more.  I have definitely made a concerted effort to move from the strength athlete to a moderate endurance athlete - although...moderate will always be the key modifier.  That being said...I have to workout to a degree...my noggin is just too big - I'd look silly if I was a small guy.

What about a program.  I'm going to sign up for a Spring Tri...at least I intend to....  How important is a Tri specific program and where can I find one that I can set time related goals...and incrementally improve from where I am to those goals?

2009-03-04 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
I look forward to David's comments on a program.  I am truly at a loss for any suggestions.  I sort of know how to get faster on a bike but my run is a struggle and I don't swim.  I don't follow a program.  Each day I just have a feel for what I need based on what I've done in the past 10 days.  So my program is a retrospective look.  I don't plan anything more than some weekends and race tapering.
2009-03-04 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1995677

User image

Champion
Ames, IA

newbz - 2009-03-03 9:54 PM posting this simply because people have found it so amusing today. i have litterly eatin everything in sight today. i decided to take today off aside from swimming, and my body FREAKED OUT. i have been eating since i woke up this morning. i am pretty sure i may have just put back on everything i have lost in the past month. i am currently on meal 6 of the day.

I'm sure these were all good healthy meals, right?

2009-03-04 9:02 PM

Extreme Veteran

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that's hungry.  I try to eat mostly raw fruits and veggies- whole grain carbs, yogurt, lean meats etc.  Pretty healthy.  My weakness is chocolate and complex sugar.  I don't drink any soda.  Overall I'm happy with my diet. 

I'm also glad to hear that it probably means I've increased my metablolism.

Malcom- I'm in a tri clinic swim class- We work on techinique and not so much time or distance that we swim.  She lets us do that on our own time.  Learning how to swim with proper form has been very beneficial to my energy in the pool.  I have a lot more endurance and I feel great after I get out of the pool.  If you haven't been a swimmer in the past I would highly reccommend some coaching if you have it available.

2009-03-04 9:05 PM
in reply to: #1998137

User image

Champion
deff agree here, tech in the pool is going to do everything for you. no matter the shape you are in, if you cant swim well/be comfortable in the water, you are not goign to get far.

glad to see the swimming coming along!
2009-03-05 8:57 AM

Well...I don't have a swimming background...and welcome any and all coaching as I'm certain I can improve - but the swim is the probably one area I think I'll hit my time goals - if the tri was tomorrow (Maybe!!).  I would love some coaching - but not sure of the best way to get that - all in good time.  I have toyed with the idea of Master's swim....but they swim so late...that's kept me from doing it thus far.   Usually...if I see someone smoking me in the pool - I just ask for a pointer or two...ask them to watch a lap and see if they have any comments.  I would like some coaching if for no other reason than to get my stroke blessed/tweaked, I know my kick needs improving and to understand swim training.  Right now, I just get in the pool and swim.  I don't know any or do any drills, and I don't have a sense for swim training.  I just swim until I'm bored, tired or a combination of the two.  If I do 30 laps - I count that a good workout... I sometimes throw in a sprint sets of 3 laps.  I would like to learn to do flipturns though... 

Edited by EightmanVT 2009-03-05 8:58 AM

2009-03-05 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1998849

User image

Champion
as far as a training program go, there are a lot of schools of thought, but having some type of plan is always better than just going out and training.

that said, a plan can be anything from exact workouts for each day, just weekly or monthly totals and some ideas of base/build/taper etc.

if you have some goals, that helps plan things a bit more, and the more exact they are the more you can plan around them. simply finish a race sometime this year is a lot more broad than trying to get x times or get as fast as possible.

as an example, for myself i have some larger distance/time goals i know i need to hit per week/month to get where i want to be, and within each week i put together the workouts for a week long time period.
on a bigger month to month scale i have broader goals, such as a bike focus, run focus etc.

so, while an exact workout plan is not needed (but VERY helpful), it will maxamize what you are doing. something personal to you will always be better than a redesigned plan.

for example, anything i work with coaching, from complete beginers to elites get week by week custom plans, built for them weekly, so that we can change workouts as things improve, need work, life gets in the way, etc. (if this is something that interests you let me know).
one guy i coach knows the workouts well, but needs a bit more help with weekly totals, so i simply build up the totals he should be hitting week to week, and he fits the workouts into that.

your workouts should have a purpose, rather than just working out, whether your goal is personal fitness, weight loss, getting faster, or trying to win. with some foucs you will always do better and acomplish more with less effort and stay a lot healthier.

2009-03-07 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1990162

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
disturbed275 - 2009-03-01 7:07 PM

Hey I like challenges. My goals for the week:

Swim: 8000 yds

Bike: 110 miles

Run: 21 miles

I already got a good start on these today. 3200 yds in the pool and 50 miles on the bike (that was one long trainer ride)

My workouts for the week are over.  I was a little short on the swim (I realized after my swim Tuesday that my warmup and cooldown were half as long as they should have been) but over on both the bike and the run miles due to some nice weather.  That should even things out right?

Final Totals:

Swim: 7750 yds

Bike: 122 miles

Run: 24.5 miles 

2009-03-07 8:11 PM

User image

Expert

Good volume Neal.

2009-03-07 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2004177

User image

Champion
despite a car dying and horrid weather the first half of the week i got in close to what i had planned and am feeling good and ready for next week,

totals were:

Bike: 9h 36m
Run: 27.4
Swim: 15200 Yd

next weeks training is up on my log now, we'll see how things go this time around.
have a mountain bike to use now so the weather is no excuse to not ride.

2009-03-10 1:54 PM

Extreme Veteran

Glad to see I'm not the only one slacking on posts.  Bottom of the second page is pretty sad.

Workouts are consistent but getting boring.   I need to toughen up and just head outside. 

Where is everyone? 

2009-03-10 3:21 PM

User image

Expert

I've tuned in multiple times but did not feel like bumping our forum again.

My workouts are going OK. I feel tired from what I think is my increase in volume from last month.  Time will tell if I am the type of person who really just doesn't do well taking on a full hour per day.  I hope not.  One hour a day does not seem like that much.  Also, the past 14 days have been fairly light.

I've been very hungry and sleepy the past couple of days too.  I hope everything starts getting better becuase I am anxious to get my run times better and have my first chance of the year this Saturday at a 5K.

2009-03-10 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2009112

User image

Champion
i hear you guys.

this time of the year can be tough, its almost spring, but still sort of winter.
and its hard jumping from inside, to outside, and back as weather changes.
add onto that the fact that a TON of people are getting sick right now and its just fun and games.

on the upside the more daylight and warmer weather for most of the country should help out!
everyone get some rest and keep up the good work.

is it just me or does it seem like most of the group dropped off?
2009-03-11 8:25 AM

User image

Expert

I'd say that everyone who has posted on page 21 is still with us and the rest or gone.

I feel better today.  I hope this weekends 5K race goes well for me.  It is what it is, but I hope that what it is is an improvement.  My best 5K last year was 22:47.  I would love it if my first one this year was under 22:00.  If it is at least better than 22:47 that would be pretty good.  Last year my time on the same course, at about the same time of the year was 23:30.  Anything over 23:00 would show little to no improvement and have me a bit depressed.

2009-03-11 9:19 AM

Extreme Veteran

Good luck on Saturday Thomas.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate for you.  Cool

I had a friend post the Hoyt,  Can video.  That was motivating, if they can keep going than I have no excuse. 

Stopped at the bike store yesterday to check out helmets and pedals.  Will be gong to another store.  Customer service seems to be lacking or is that typical bike store style?  What are your pedal and helmet reccomendations?  Thought I'd get used to them this week befor I head outside. 

2009-03-11 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2010555

User image

Champion
bell and giro both make a road helmet in the 30-50$ range, i would look at that, between the two brands you have about 11 color combinations (most are some mix of yellow, red, blue, and white/black). good helmet at a good price (i ride in one).

pedals wise see what they have that fit your buget, but stick with road and not mountain bike pedals.

look, speedplay, time, shimano all make good ones. check out the shimano road pedals if you are on a budget.

thomas, good luck with the race, i too might be doing a 5k.
remember if the times are near the same you are training much more right now and this will leave times a bit slower or the same without rest (my last 5k was actually almost a min slower than me PR due to higher training load at the time)

good luck!

2009-03-11 10:19 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA

Hi guys.  I thought I better pop in for roll call.  Training has been going great for me.  I got outside on the bike a few times last week, but back on the trainer this week since we've dipped back under freezing.

On the run front things are going well.  I had a sore ankle during the month of February that seems to be completely healed now (knock on wook) so i've been able to start doing more speed work and building mileage for an end of April half-mary.

I had a breakthrough swim session yesterday.  I remembered something my coach had told me about my pull a few weeks back and realized I hadn't been doing it.  Cut 35 secs off my previous best 500 time.

Thomas, best of luck this weekend at your 5K!

2009-03-11 12:11 PM

I'm still around   Just haven't posted much lately - nothing really noteworthy going on.  I had my first outdoors run in I can't remember how long this past weekend - this was after a Friday night of heavy drinking and a solid Saturday of skiing. I let the Saturday ski session take the place of my normal abs/legs/bike day - and Sunday - just did the run more to try to feel normal again - I'm way too old to drink like I did.

I've been logging my workouts fairly dutifully - although not really tweaking for changes to the strength portions - just because I've gotten lazy.

Speaking of lazy - my swims are getting lazier.  I think I'm gett bored - I could really  use a partner or someone to motivate/swim with.  Maybe I should look into those water mp3 players? Does anyone here use those?  I need something.  Lately my swim workouts consist of - a warm up lap, then swim the sprint distance, then maybe 1 or 2 blocks of 3 laps...polished off by a couple of sprint laps.  All depending on how motivated I feel...and since I swim in the evenings (run on those mornings...) lately, not terribly motivated to stay in the pool. 

I'm probably going to have to make some tweaks to my weekly routine soon as I'd really like to start getting a couple of bike rides in a week.  This weekend - I may bike on Sunday if the weather supports it - but Saturday I'm going to play touch rugby for a couple of hours.  A guy at the gym turned me on to a local club that goes out and plays - sounds like a great way to get a lot of sprinting in - without too much impact on the rest of the body.  

I still need to figure out where to get in a few sets of legs...  This whole work thing gets in the way...

2009-03-11 8:49 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA

What helps me concentrate in the pool is to focus on one aspect of my swim stroke such as high elbows, long stroke, the catch, etc. as I'm completing a set of 500.  The next 500 I will focus on a different aspect.  Sometimes if I don't do that my mind will drift and before I know it my entire stroke has gone to crap.

Maybe some drilling or alternate strokes would also be beneficial to give some variety. 

2009-03-11 8:51 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
I got one of those swimp3 players for my birthday about 2 months ago.  I still haven't tried it out.  I'll let you know when I do.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz winter training group is FULL!!!!! Rss Feed  

of 20