BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2009-04-09 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2073895

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Subject: RE: kalalau's Group - FULL for now
abbiesue - 2009-04-09 12:40 PM
kalalau - 2009-04-08 9:55 AM You feel great like completely recovered or just great as compared to before? Either way it's great news! To avoid falling, make sure the tension isn't too tight, and get your feet out of the pedals long before you get near stopping. Part of the problem is just forgetting to unclip. But there's just a learning process. You don't really hurt yourself when you fall over unless you are in traffic. It just feels embarrassing. Being in the grass seems like a good idea. When do you get your bike?

I feel great as in 98% recovered! I tied on the running shoes for the first time in a long time. Took it pretty easy though didnt want to push myself too hard...YET! They thought my bike might be in by tomorrow.

Thanks for the picture Becky!

No problem!  It really wasn't that bad.  It scared me a little, but I literally got up and tried again and was fine.  I don't know what the "right" way to learn is, but my mistake was clipping in both feet while holding on to the back of the car and then just trying to pedal...on pavement, mind you.  That did not work!  :-)  Glad to hear that you're feeling better!!

2009-04-09 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2072804

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

ras26 - 2009-04-08 11:25 PM

It's going to happen; there's no avoiding it.  Here's a pic showing the result of my first 30 seconds on my bike.  It wasn't bad, I clipped back in (after getting off the ground) and rode a few miles just fine.  Like Dave said, when it looks like you are going to have to stop, unclip at least one foot early.  At like a stop sign, you don't really need to unclip the second foot.  Just make sure when you unclip one foot that when you slow down to hop down off your seat that your slight lean to put your foot on the ground is to the UNCLIPPED side.  It really sucks when you fall the opposite way on top of the clipped in foot.  That's about all the advice I have.  Practice practice!!

That looks a lot like a triathlete's leg. ;-)

Go Becky!

2009-04-09 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2074211

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-04-09 2:26 PM

ras26 - 2009-04-08 11:25 PM

It's going to happen; there's no avoiding it.  Here's a pic showing the result of my first 30 seconds on my bike.  It wasn't bad, I clipped back in (after getting off the ground) and rode a few miles just fine.  Like Dave said, when it looks like you are going to have to stop, unclip at least one foot early.  At like a stop sign, you don't really need to unclip the second foot.  Just make sure when you unclip one foot that when you slow down to hop down off your seat that your slight lean to put your foot on the ground is to the UNCLIPPED side.  It really sucks when you fall the opposite way on top of the clipped in foot.  That's about all the advice I have.  Practice practice!!

That looks a lot like a triathlete's leg. ;-)

Go Becky!

It might be now.  At the time it was just the leg of someone who couldn't ride a bike!!  :-)
2009-04-09 6:11 PM
in reply to: #1876643

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Did any of the Maryland locals see that a group is getting together Sunday around 3:00 to ride the Columbia course?
I should have the Easter obligations out of the way by then and might check it out.
2009-04-09 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2074293

Mentor Dave let me fall over even after I told him I was going to fall over from being to wiped out at the end of the ride.
2009-04-09 11:43 PM
in reply to: #2074950

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

LOL I vaguely remember that and it was funny.  But it wasn't due to you not unclipping.  Wasn't it after a really tough long bike ride?

Thanks for the heads up on the 3pm Columbia group.  I won't be done my activities though.  I do plan on biking on Saturday maybe out in Carroll County, and doing a long run Monday night in the Piney Orchard area.

I might be up for a mid-week ride on the Columbia course.

Edited by kalalau 2009-04-09 11:47 PM

2009-04-10 7:02 AM
in reply to: #2074913

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
SCamp07 - 2009-04-09 7:11 PM Did any of the Maryland locals see that a group is getting together Sunday around 3:00 to ride the Columbia course? I should have the Easter obligations out of the way by then and might check it out.

I saw it, but we're supposed to be doing 3 hours this weekend, so we'll probably try to get started a little earlier.  We'll probably just ride from home. 
2009-04-11 7:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Hope everyone has a Happy Easter tomorrow (if you celebrate such things).  I certainly intend to earn my candy.  :-)
2009-04-11 9:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Happy Easter! Also, I saw that Abby got a double chain ring instead of a triple! Wow she's serious. :-) Anyway I have both and can vouch for the smooth shifting of the double. I believe it is lighter weight as well. I was told that once I am a good cyclist, I won't need the granny gears on the triple. We'll see if that happens. Lake Placid will be a good test. I did use my road bike with the triple for Savageman, but those are silly bad hills. Otherwise I haven't needed the triple. Most tris don't seem to have horrible hills, probably because flat races get more sign ups. For casual rides, I do like the ease of the triple.
2009-04-13 6:41 AM
in reply to: #2078724

User image

Randolph, NJ
kalalau - 2009-04-11 10:42 AM Happy Easter! Also, I saw that Abby got a double chain ring instead of a triple! Wow she's serious. :-) Anyway I have both and can vouch for the smooth shifting of the double. I believe it is lighter weight as well. I was told that once I am a good cyclist, I won't need the granny gears on the triple. We'll see if that happens. Lake Placid will be a good test. I did use my road bike with the triple for Savageman, but those are silly bad hills. Otherwise I haven't needed the triple. Most tris don't seem to have horrible hills, probably because flat races get more sign ups. For casual rides, I do like the ease of the triple.

Hey - I just got what the bike store suggested. I hope I won't need those "granny" gears. I am assuming since I never had them I wont misst them...right? I'll keep you posted it still hasn't come in yet. Perhaps by the time it does come in it will warm up around here. They say it is going to the 60s by the end of the week. Also Dave - don't be too impressed by my running...thats still on the treadmill. I have not been outside on the road yet this year. This week for sure!
2009-04-13 7:37 AM
in reply to: #2080208

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
abbiesue - 2009-04-13 7:41 AM

Hey - I just got what the bike store suggested. I hope I won't need those "granny" gears. I am assuming since I never had them I wont misst them...right? I'll keep you posted it still hasn't come in yet. Perhaps by the time it does come in it will warm up around here. They say it is going to the 60s by the end of the week. Also Dave - don't be too impressed by my running...thats still on the treadmill. I have not been outside on the road yet this year. This week for sure!

Hey Abbie,

At least you're back on the treadmill. Great job getting back into training.

Yesterday my ride was very windy and I almost wish I had that 3rd ring.

2009-04-13 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2080288

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
SCamp07 - 2009-04-13 8:37 AM
abbiesue - 2009-04-13 7:41 AM

Hey Abbie, At least you're back on the treadmill. Great job getting back into training. Yesterday my ride was very windy and I almost wish I had that 3rd ring.

So exciting that your bike is coming!  After reading what you got, I was questioning my purchase of a triple (not like I have much choice now since I've had it like 9 months), but like Steve, my ride was also very windy yesterday and very hilly as well.  I was pretty thankful for those granny gears!  You're probably a better cyclist than I am, though, since I've been riding on anything less than a year.  I'm sure you'll be fine!!  J has a compact double and managed just fine. 

Edited by ras26 2009-04-13 10:46 AM
2009-04-14 10:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Doh!  I just figured out that I have been converting my pace with my swim intervals, to overall time, incorrectly. :-(I don't bring my watches in the house so it's all memory or calculations).  So, those of you who thought I was swimming fast, yes, too fast apparently. :-)  My real avg per 100 yards is about 1:38 when I do intervals.  Still a lot faster than if I didn't take 1 minute breaks, but nothing like a 1:20!

Ok, I will withhold judgement of Abby's running until she runs outside. :-)  It will be interesting to see the difference in your running.  I have a friend who tells me he does 5 mile runs on the treadmill at a 7:14 pace, but we've yet to see what he can really do because he doesn't race without pacing his girlfriend.

2009-04-16 5:06 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Abbie was supposed to pick up her bike yesterday.

How is training going? When is everyone's next race?

I'm still debating the Frederick Half or the Fallston Duathlon.
2009-04-16 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I have the Ocean City Half Marathon on Saturday, and Illinois Dave has his first tri on Saturday!  After that I think it's Frederick - still slated for the 4:15 group.  Oh, I did sign up for Tour De Carroll Metric Century on April 25th.  Supported bike rides are good for training.

2009-04-16 12:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
double post

Edited by ras26 2009-04-16 6:50 PM

2009-04-16 12:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
This is my fourth and last attempt at posting here...

After a great ride on Sunday (in that totally hard but I did it sort of way), and a very tough monday, I am back at things and Frederick 1/2 is next up.  I had another PR "weis run" on Saturday, so I'm still shooting for a 2:10 goal time.  I'm looking forward to riding outside in the sun today!  That reminds me I haven't put in my swim from yesterday either...

Edited by ras26 2009-04-16 1:10 PM
2009-04-16 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2088886

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
kalalau - 2009-04-16 12:23 PM

I have the Ocean City Half Marathon on Saturday, and Illinois Dave has his first tri on Saturday!  After that I think it's Frederick - still slated for the 4:15 group.  Oh, I did sign up for Tour De Carroll Metric Century on April 25th.  Supported bike rides are good for training.

I was interested in that ride next weekend but I'll be in Ft Lauderdale. I plan on some serious OW swims next week.
2009-04-16 6:44 PM

User image

Randolph, NJ
YEA! I FINALLY got my bike last night! I spent 2 hours in the bike store making all the adjustments and learning the basics including fixing a flat.

SOOO..I took the guys advice and started in my yard practicing clipping in and out and stopping. Well ya know what they say...sometimes you just have to learn the hard way. I pulled a "Becky" and she even warned me! I uncliped the right foot and leaned left. LOL (think i even heard Becky saying "told ya so") I have a lovely bruise on my butt from falling on the seat. OUCH (I wont post it for obvious reasons) Well after that I figured it out. Rode around the yard and the house a few times.

I had a crazy day at work so I couldn't do anything till 5. They said it was going to be 60 but I do't think it got higher then 54...but headed out anyway. I rode about 7.3 miles just fooling around. Trying to get the shifting down. OK don't laugh but quick question...how do u go from the large ring to the small? Push the left break to the right? What does it mean if u can't? Was I just not doing it hard enough? I was able to do it my 1st lap but not the 2nd. Did I mention...don't laugh? Remember I am new at this...hehehe

I did learn 2 valuable lessons...1. Should have worn bike shorts (let's just say new seat much smaller and harder then I am use to) ooch! 2. Close the mouth while riding! (need I say more) I am sure u all are aware of these things already...sucks being a newbie! LOL

Since I was out already I thought hey y not run a quick lap aroud while u are already warmed up...only 3.6ish miles...HA  - ran a mile and called it a day! Will head back out in the am! They say it may hit 70 - woohoo!
2009-04-16 6:58 PM
in reply to: #2090067

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
abbiesue - 2009-04-16 7:44 PM YEA! I FINALLY got my bike last night! I spent 2 hours in the bike store making all the adjustments and learning the basics including fixing a flat.

SOOO..I took the guys advice and started in my yard practicing clipping in and out and stopping. Well ya know what they say...sometimes you just have to learn the hard way. I pulled a "Becky" and she even warned me! I uncliped the right foot and leaned left. LOL (think i even heard Becky saying "told ya so") I have a lovely bruise on my butt from falling on the seat. OUCH (I wont post it for obvious reasons) Well after that I figured it out. Rode around the yard and the house a few times.

I had a crazy day at work so I couldn't do anything till 5. They said it was going to be 60 but I do't think it got higher then 54...but headed out anyway. I rode about 7.3 miles just fooling around. Trying to get the shifting down. OK don't laugh but quick question...how do u go from the large ring to the small? Push the left break to the right? What does it mean if u can't? Was I just not doing it hard enough? I was able to do it my 1st lap but not the 2nd. Did I mention...don't laugh? Remember I am new at this...hehehe

I did learn 2 valuable lessons...1. Should have worn bike shorts (let's just say new seat much smaller and harder then I am use to) ooch! 2. Close the mouth while riding! (need I say more) I am sure u all are aware of these things already...sucks being a newbie! LOL

Since I was out already I thought hey y not run a quick lap aroud while u are already warmed up...only 3.6ish miles...HA  - ran a mile and called it a day! Will head back out in the am! They say it may hit 70 - woohoo!

Great job on your first ride on the new bike!  You have to start somewhere.  Sorry you fell.  I wasn't wishing that on you, I promise.  At least it was on the grass.  I had a lot of trouble shifting at first and it just took practice.  To go from large ring to small (in front) you use the left side shifter.  I don't know what type of shifters you have, so if you have the thumb shifter, use that.  If not, it's the smaller lever on the left brake.  You may have to push it harder, or hold it while it shifts.  As I said, I had a LOT of trouble shifting for a while after I got my bike.  I did have the LBS adjust it so it shifted easier, but other than that it was just practice.  I've found some of it is also about timing.  If I'm not spinning fast enough, sometimes it takes some time to shift gears.  Anyone else have other advice? 
2009-04-16 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2088886

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-04-16 12:23 PM

Oh, I did sign up for Tour De Carroll Metric Century on April 25th.  Supported bike rides are good for training.

I looked this up and it sounds pretty fun.  I may talk to J about it since it would work well in our plan for a 3:30+ ride.  Have you done it before?  On the website, it talks about "serious riders" and super-hard hills for the metric century.  I ride out here all the time, so I don't think I should be intimidated, right??  Although I'm not sure what qualifies one as a "serious rider." 

2009-04-16 7:48 PM
in reply to: #2090067

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

abbiesue - 2009-04-16 7:44 PM

Haha, yes those "easy" bricks can be quite surprisingly hard sometimes. :-)

2009-04-16 7:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Wow we went from quiet to pretty active! :-)

Good thing Becky answered the shifter question, I'm having trouble thinking about the different shifters at the moment.

You don't want to be putting much pressure on the gears as you shift.  Obviously that means you can't be struggling up a hill and shifting unless you let off some.  It's just going to take practice.

Tour De Carroll - I did Eat A Peach in the same area last year and it was quite the challenge.  We didn't make the whole century in the time allowed.  But this one sounds less threatening than Eat A Peach, and it's only a metric.  I think we are all ok for doing it, it just might take a while.  We should start when they allow us to start, so we're not rushed.

I usually do the Hershey Metric on this day, but I'm doing Carroll so a friend doesn't have to travel so far. 

Have you done an organized ride like this before?  They are pretty nice.  Lots of people out there, nice aid stations to stop at every 15 or so miles, and no rushing at all.  Just a nice relaxed bike ride.  The Amish Covered Bridges Tour in Lancaster in the fall is awesome.

Edited by kalalau 2009-04-16 7:55 PM
2009-04-17 3:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Also, about the Metric Century, if you ever get to the point where you don't think you will make it, you just stop, and let the SAG wagon take you back.  The same is true for almost any race really.  You could also just adjust your route to do a shorter route.  You can grab cue sheets for different lengths, and make up your route on the fly.

It is looking more likely that I am doing the Eagleman bike course (and riding the run course as well) on Sunday afternoon.  Anyone wanting to hook up with us let me know.

2009-04-17 4:40 PM
in reply to: #2092541

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-04-17 4:22 PM

It is looking more likely that I am doing the Eagleman bike course (and riding the run course as well) on Sunday afternoon.  Anyone wanting to hook up with us let me know.

We're thinking of going out there (Cambridge) memorial day weekend.  Good luck in OC this weekend!  It makes sense to ride Eagleman while you are down there. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  

of 38