BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2009-06-30 10:44 AM
in reply to: #2070412

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)
First of all, way to go!!!  A finish is a finish is a finish!!  Always try and find the positives and then when you work on the other aspects try and look at it as "here is how I can do even better", not "here is what I did wrong".  Put yourself in a positive mental attitude and the next time will be better!!!

OK, off of the motivational soap box!!  If you don't mind, let me know what you find out about nutrition.  Right now that is what I am worried about the most.  As I increase my running and biking in practice I have NO CLUE as to how to incorporate food, gels, or anything else.  All I have is my two water bottles on the bike.  When I did my 4.7 mile run the other day in 105 heat index I was really needing a drink before I finished but I didn't have anything.  Talked to one person and he said to set up drinks ahead of time or set your run where you can stop and drink...huh?  I don't want to stop while running and I am running on country roads to avoid traffic and simulate real running conditions(on roads).  Maybe I am being unrealistic....any comments?

2009-06-30 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2253055

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)

For longer runs, you can't go wrong with a fuel belt. 

Also, while training, just start practicing using different brands/types/amounts/frequency to figure out what works best for you.

For example, go with the standard wisdom of 1 GU (100 cal) per hour while on a long bike or run, perhaps supplementing with Gatorade Endurance or some other electrolyte drink.  Then modify from there. 

For example, we were given a packet of HEED in our race goodie bag, so I gave it a try on my last bike.  Figured out that I kind of like it, but am not sure how it would affect my stomach if nerves were higher (as in a race environment).

Oh, and spend time in the Nutrition forum.  There's tons of information there.

2009-06-30 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Dewey,
If I am running in hot weather, I bring a bottle of water with me, take a drink a few miles out, and set it along side the country road I am on.  Then, I can also drink it during the run on the way back. 
2009-06-30 1:31 PM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Nutrition & Hydration...

I normally know my body and fuel evry 45 minutes  to 1 hr, both on the bike and run.  I just spaced out on the bike at BSLT and ended up waiting until I felt hunger pains before I ate the clif bar.  By that time, it's too late.  I also have always had a cast iron stomach...mixing gel shots, gatorade, what ever never bothered me before.   

Hydration on longer, hot runs... I hate carrying anything in my hands, but I have done it to survive.  The fuel belt seems to be one of the better solutions, but I have never tried it ~ likewise for a camelback.  I have planned routes that run by my house so that I can leave water there and drink at various times...but then you face the struggle of stopping everytime you go by the casa.  We have trails here that have water fountains along the route... it's not dasani water but it works. 

Definitely work out the kinks of different fluids, solids and gels during training ~ especially if you have experienced stomach sensitivity.  Sprint races, nutrition is not usually an issue as much as hydration is.  However, you start moving towards the Oly and longer... absolutely important to consider its impact. 

Just FYI, if anyone else is planning a 70.3 (M-dot) series event (or an IM (M-dot) event), they are supported by Power Bar.  So the gels and bars on the course are all Pwer Bar Brand.  If you are sensitive or dislike them - plan to bring your own stuff.   
2009-06-30 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Alright alright already . . .

Race report is available.

In short, not quite the time I was hoping for, but I survived my first OWS and finished MOP in my AG.  Better relative results than previous tri's.

And holy cow was it hot.

Thanks everyone for your inspires on my training log.  I REALLY appreciate it!

2009-06-30 10:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Awesome job.  You rock! 

Tuesday night Time Trial tonight.  12.5 miles.  Windy.  Cold.  Unofficially a PR by about 20 seconds.  Unofficially, broke 21 mph for the first time.  My power output over the course was 274 watts for the 35 mins, 17 seconds or so.  That is above my 100% FTP.  I stayed aero the entire way but for corners.  I didn't carry a damn thing, no water, no tools or tubes.  Just me and the bike.  It was awesome!  Lord help me, I love racing!

Swam 1800 this morning with the Masters. 

2009-07-01 8:31 AM

User image

Master

I started a new running training program today.  Not sure if anyone has heard of the F.I.R.S.T. training program.  There is a book written by its designers called "Run Less, Run Faster". 

http://www.furman.edu/first/fmtp.htm

The thesis of the program is that you have three quality runs per week - 1 consisting of track repeats of varying distances, 1 tempo type run and 1 longer run.  The paces for the various workouts are built off of your established race times (5-K, 10-K, etc.).  Along with the 3 quality runs you are at a minimum supposed to cross train 2 times per week and theoretically you can cross train much more than that.  Cycling and swimming are suggested cross training as the biking uses opposing/complementary muscles and is low impact and the swimming allows no impact and cardio improvements.  I believe the guys who came up with the program were much like us...family oriented with full time jobs looking for an efficient way to improve running times.  One was also involved in triathlons.

With my side still not healing I am taking a break from swimming and feel that this plan will allow me to continue to improve cycling while improving running.  In a couple weeks I hope to start putting back in the swim.

I am following the half marathon plan.  It is 18 weeks long but I am starting at 16 weeks as that is how long there is until the Detroit Half Marathon.  Today's workout had me running 800 meter repeats in a time of 3:28 followed by a rest interval of 90 seconds.  My run times were supposed to come in within a second of two of each other.  I didn't quite do that but my results were as follows (3:34, 3:28, 3:25, 3:36, 3:36, 3:39).  You can see that I got a bit tired at the end.

Tomorrow I am supposed to cross train and will probably do a spinning class.  Friday I will do a 6 mile run (2 miles easy, 3 miles at "short tempo" pace (7:44 per mile) and 1 mile easy.  Sunday I will have a long run of 10 miles with no prescribed pace. 

I find this approach interesting as even the long runs (when a pace is dictated) are faster than other programs would suggest that your long run should be paced at.  For example next weeks long run is 9 miles at 8:36 per mile.  The group that designed this has tested and analyzed data from runners of all abilities and has shown great results.  I'll keep you posted on how well I'm able to keep up with the workouts.

2009-07-02 3:12 PM

User image

Have a fun & safe 4th of July!  Squeeze in some SBR if you can, and enjoy the weekend. 

2009-07-02 3:23 PM
in reply to: #2259047

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Trin2bfast - 2009-07-02 4:12 PM

Have a fun & safe 4th of July!  Squeeze in some SBR if you can, and enjoy the weekend. 

Will do - well, 1 S tomorrow and 2 B's this weekend.  Will you get to enjoy it, or are you doing some extra holiday-weekend patrols?

2009-07-02 3:39 PM
in reply to: #2259072

Regular
Newport Beach
roch1009 - 2009-07-02 3:23 PM

Will do - well, 1 S tomorrow and 2 B's this weekend.  Will you get to enjoy it, or are you doing some extra holiday-weekend patrols?

Me thinks only if extra holiday-weekend patrols = drinking beer
2009-07-03 7:11 AM

Freeland
I second that Jota.

2009-07-06 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I had a great weekend.  On Saturday, I woke to rain and rain 5 miles in 48:38 in the Park to Park July 4th race here.  Then ran home, another 1.5 miles, got the bike and rode a 2 hour drill with 1X 1:15 @ 85%, then home and fuinished my assigned brick with another 30 min run.  Rain never did let up. 

I know the run may not seem fast to you guys, but I was running 10:40 splits for 5K not long ago.  I ran 10 min splits for 7.5 miles in early May. 

Sunday, I had a 3 hour endurance moderate intensity ride out to the course for the July 18th Olympic.  Rough hilly course. 
Today is easy.  Tuesday time trials and a brick and a morning swim. 

Have a great week.
Iceman
Scott

2009-07-06 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2259072

User image

LOL, no extra patrols for me... fortunately rank and seniority has its limited privlages ~ I was off for the holiday... Enjoyed a nice day off Friday, had some fun hangin' with friends and family on Saturday and equalled that with a great group swim at the lake with other BT'ers and local Tri-Geeks.

JG & I finally got to do a meet & greet at the lake... it's cool to put faces with names/logs/posts!

I hope everyone else enjoyed the holiday weekend!
roch1009 - 2009-07-02 3:23 PM

Edited by Trin2bfast 2009-07-06 8:36 AM
2009-07-06 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2263871

User image

IceManScott - 2009-07-06 7:22 AM I had a great weekend.  On Saturday, I woke to rain and rain 5 miles in 48:38 in the Park to Park July 4th race here.  Then ran home, another 1.5 miles, got the bike and rode a 2 hour drill with 1X 1:15 @ 85%, then home and fuinished my assigned brick with another 30 min run.  Rain never did let up. 

I know the run may not seem fast to you guys, but I was running 10:40 splits for 5K not long ago.  I ran 10 min splits for 7.5 miles in early May. 

Sunday, I had a 3 hour endurance moderate intensity ride out to the course for the July 18th Olympic.  Rough hilly course. 
Today is easy.  Tuesday time trials and a brick and a morning swim. 

Have a great week.
Iceman
Scott

No need to preface anything on here about... I know it's not as fast...!  You rocked it!  If you are running faster than you once did, and that was a goal of yours... Then it is fast and you did a great job!  Logged some serious training over the holiday weekend!  Great job Scott!  You are a machine!
2009-07-06 9:31 AM

User image

Master
Hope everyone had a great weekend.  I had a great run Friday morning and ended up with no formal workouts the rest of the weekend.  I went for a leisurely ride with my 7 year old and cleaned, prepped and stained my deck through the weekend.  Also took my girls to see some fireworks on Sat. night.  I hope to get back on track with a solid weekof workout.  I am thinking that this week will be the last week with no swimming.  My side feels like its improving...actually starting to sort of miss the swimming...Cool
2009-07-06 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Well I'm two weeks into an 8 week sprint to olympic training plan, in advance of the Tri Indy race in August. - Things are going well so far, but the volume really picks up in the next few weeks.

And I just signed up for another sprint in Nashville on the 26th, so that will take me up to at least 4 tri's this year.

(That race only cost me $30!!! - I got $20 off the entry fee by filling out a survey for my last race - WOOT!)

2009-07-06 1:37 PM

Regular
Newport Beach

Had a great weekend.  Off from work on Friday, ran a 5k on saturday and was able to have my oldest daughter run the kids 1k. Then to a friends house in the afternoon for swimming, dinner and fireworks.  Sunday got a quick OWS and lots of chores done around the house.

2009-07-07 6:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Did something to my left knee during workouts last week....I am hoping I don't have to go to the dr....Knee is swollen and it is difficult to walk.  I am hoping that it is just from uping my training distances too fast.  Race is less than 2 weeks out..... 
2009-07-07 7:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Hey Dewey, what race distance are you doing at Evergreen?  Ice first, then heat (you should be in the heat phase now).  Easy does it.  Pushing will only do more harm.  You were going to have to start to taper after this weekend anyway.  Not losing tons of time.  Stay positive.  Injuries are what they are.  You can't wish them away.  They just have to be treated.  Negative energy by beating yourself up for pushing too hard doesn't help.  We just learn from it.  That is the voice of experience bud.  I has a bad calf cramp a couple of weeks, maybe four before my first tri.  Just had to rest it, let it ease, then slowly get back into the workouts.  I haven't had any trouble since then, knock on my wooden head.  Don't forget to look for me.  We'll have to share info before July 18.  My t area will be with the 55-59 year olds.  Look for the geriatric ward. 

2009-07-07 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
"Geriatric ward"?  Icemanscott, you will put the younger ones to shame!!  You are a machine on that bike!!  Very inspiring.
2009-07-07 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2266942

User image

Terps421 - 2009-07-07 8:50 AM "Geriatric ward"?  Icemanscott, you will put the younger ones to shame!!  You are a machine on that bike!!  Very inspiring.

^^^ X2 ^^^

Go get 'em Scott!

Dewey ~ like Scott said... stay positive, care for your injury and the race will come.  Negative thoughts are a waste of time and energy ~ especially at this stage of the game.  Just work on healing the injury and focusing on a fun day of SBR!  {regardless of times/performance}

I know that is not easy... but do your best to stay motivated and positive!

Good luck to both of you come race day!

2009-07-07 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey Scott, been meaning to get a hold of you but the holiday weekend has been crazy busy!!!  I will absolutely give you a call this week sometime.  Thanks for the words of encouragement. 

I am running the sprint race that weekend so no matter what I will force myself to finish.  I have another race two weeks after that and then nothing until next May.  The one in May is the one I really don't want to mess up. 

Since this will be my first tri I'll be the one with the confused look on his face as to what the heck I am supposed to be doing.  I will be inthe 40-44 year old area(?) if that means anything lol...don't have a clue as to how things will be set up.  I have never even been to a tri so I am a true rookie!!!
2009-07-07 12:00 PM
in reply to: #2267427

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

dewcubs - 2009-07-07 11:54 AM Hey Scott, been meaning to get a hold of you but the holiday weekend has been crazy busy!!!  I will absolutely give you a call this week sometime.  Thanks for the words of encouragement. 

I am running the sprint race that weekend so no matter what I will force myself to finish.  I have another race two weeks after that and then nothing until next May.  The one in May is the one I really don't want to mess up. 

Since this will be my first tri I'll be the one with the confused look on his face as to what the heck I am supposed to be doing.  I will be inthe 40-44 year old area(?) if that means anything lol...don't have a clue as to how things will be set up.  I have never even been to a tri so I am a true rookie!!!

Within reason, right?  I would suggest not racing if for some reason you're still injured.  Pretty sure that's what a doc would recommend as well . . . but . . . I like the attitude anyway.  Here's hoping you heal up quickly.

2009-07-08 2:29 PM

User image

Veteran
OWS's, bricks, races...look at us go! 
2009-07-09 9:25 PM

Freeland
How is everybody doing?  It seems like things are so crazy in the summer.  Hard to train, have to take vacations and work and keep kids occupied.  I am finding it harder to train in the summer then winter. Did go swimming this week and will go maybe tomorrow.  Felt good a little sore today bit I love it. Hope everybody is doing well.  Next race is scheduled for Aug. 15.  Sanford and Son.  I am excited because this is not too far from my house.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  

of 28