BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-08-04 3:22 PM
in reply to: #2071361

User image

Regular
Dallas
Subject: RE: JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL
Race Report is up! Did Rivercities Sprint in Shreveport, LA is past weekend. I crushed my last time by 9min. I ran 8's for the 5k, never ran that fast in my life!

Now a question for you guys/girls. I am training for my 1st HIM in October and as my training days have gotten longer I am beginning to understand the importance of nutrition. So as I am learning more about this aspect I am wondering what you carry with you on the bike. I am starting to experiment with perpetum. I also carry an accelerade for hydration. Now I have been reading some that water should also be ingested with calories. Does this mean I should be carrying 3 water bottles? Also will perpetum satisfy all of my calorie needs or should I be incorporating some GU as well? Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Thx

2009-08-05 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2327793

User image

Expert
Denver Area

sympatric - 2009-08-04 2:22 PM Race Report is up! Did Rivercities Sprint in Shreveport, LA is past weekend. I crushed my last time by 9min. I ran 8's for the 5k, never ran that fast in my life! Now a question for you guys/girls. I am training for my 1st HIM in October and as my training days have gotten longer I am beginning to understand the importance of nutrition. So as I am learning more about this aspect I am wondering what you carry with you on the bike. I am starting to experiment with perpetum. I also carry an accelerade for hydration. Now I have been reading some that water should also be ingested with calories. Does this mean I should be carrying 3 water bottles? Also will perpetum satisfy all of my calorie needs or should I be incorporating some GU as well? Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thx

ROCK the run on your sprint---AWESOME!

*&#%Y^! I just accidentally deleted everything I wrote.  *sigh*

I EAT on the bike, like actual food.  I have to, borderline Athena.  There's an article here somewhere about WHY Athenas & Clydes must consume much more than the petites, and why we/they tend to overheat also---but as I was trying to locate it I effed up...couldn't find it regardless.

ANYWAY, I pound water and eat electrolyte blocks on the bike, gel if I need the push, and at least some protein bar while I'm out there.  Especially if it's more than 2 hours (which it will be this weekend).  Most of the nutrition info has said that any cardio more than 90 minutes requires protein recovery, I use this logic while I'm racing & training 'cause I've learned that if I don't the wheels fall off and they fall off FAST.

Try different things, nail it down quickly, October will come up quick!

2009-08-06 6:14 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA

I'm just curious...has anyone heard from Aaron?  It seems like it's been forever since i've "seen" him here and was just wondering!?

Edited by Happychick 2009-08-06 6:31 PM
2009-08-07 7:35 PM
in reply to: #2327793

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Back in town and ready to get back into the swing of this training thing we do.  Spent a ton of time over the last week hiking through one of the prettiest parks in Michigan. I did manage to get in a couple of runs also.  Two of them were really fast too. (prolly because of the big downhill portion Wink)

As far as your question about nutrition on the bike, I am also still experimenting, but on the couple of multi-hour rides I have done,  A bottle of Gatorade, a bottle of water and a Gu worked very well for me.  These were both morning rides, and I did eat a light breakfast before I went out then had a good recovery meal as soon as I got home.  Hope this helps.
2009-08-10 5:09 PM

User image

somewhere in the northwest
I'm still here, between working 12 or more hours a day some times 7 days week and moving from Tri-cities to Walla Walla I have not been working out much.But now that im settled in here I have been getting back into it.We got our Computrainer a few weeks ago this thing is amazing I highly recomend it. My DW bought me a new bike last week its a Kuota K factor with a mix of ultagra and 105 parts I'll post a pic as soon as i get it put together.

As for the nutritioning for your HIM I have been using Infinit and cliff bars with protien (kind bars or builder bars) you have to watch the Infinit when you make it up and don't put to much protien in the mix this will make it realy foamy which i found to be not good on my stomach. And make sure you use in practice before a race I tried it during my first marathon and got realy sick to my stomach and ended up pouring it out and filling my amphipods with water  
2009-08-11 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
Denver Area

So the mentor program is over with. Did anyone else see that post?  Lovely getting to chat with you all.  I hope training has been as superfantastic for you all as it has been for me!  My race report is up, 5430 Long Course from this Sunday.

Thank you Aaron, great job!

2009-08-11 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2341109

User image

Regular
Dallas
AdaBug - 2009-08-11 9:55 AM

So the mentor program is over with. Did anyone else see that post?  Lovely getting to chat with you all.  I hope training has been as superfantastic for you all as it has been for me!  My race report is up, 5430 Long Course from this Sunday.

Thank you Aaron, great job!

I wondered how this would all end. I have enjoyed this mentor experience. Thanks again for all of the support and advice from all of you.

Good Job Aaron, hope to see you at a race soon. I will be looking for the bearded blue and yellow blur.

Thanks to everyone who commented on the nutrition question. It was very helpful. I tried out the perpetum last weekend and as long as I can get in the habit of drinking it, I think it will work great.

Hope to see all of you bouncing around BT in the future.

Patrick
2009-08-11 5:53 PM

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
But wait, I'm not ready for it to be over!....lol

Good Luck everyone, it's been fun.

Keep in touch once in a while.

Scott
2009-08-12 6:43 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
It has been a pleasure and i'm sure I will see you around!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 17