BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-06-07 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2072085

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: RE: GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring
Wow. Nice job Barbara. I am looking forward to a big day, but mine won't be coming until August.

I did get a run and bike in on Saturday. The bike was with the entire family so that was a lot of fun. My wife is now talking about a sprint for October. Uh oh!

I really saw the difference some stress and a warm day could have. My heart rate was so much more sensitive to the hills and didn't come down as fast when I slowed. I don't think it had too much of an affect on my overall pace though. Planning biking to work tomorrow, lets hope the weather holds out. Have a great week everyone.

2009-06-08 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Hi All.....

I trust everyone had a good weekend.  I made it through my first race of the season yesterday.  The RR is up if you are interested in the details.  The Clif's note version is I had fun, I learned a few things and have plenty to improve upon.  I guess the best news of all is I was not DFL out of the water!

Suzy

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-06-08 2:19 PM
2009-06-08 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
Nice job on finishing the distance. Read your race report and it seems like your learned a lot. I don't understand why some people want to wade the entire course. I started in front of my swim wave, but my wife said some people waded until the last second. That would be frustrating trying to swim around them. Lots learned it seems like. What's up next for you?
2009-06-08 11:11 AM

Expert

Congrats Suzy you surely accomplished what you wanted to from the swim and got 'er done at a good pace. Speaking of swim, we were talking about catchup stroke - I wanted to add that I like it as a *defensive* strategy - with arms outstretched in front of face better protection against a kick. Anyway, with that aside, good job girlfriend!

2009-06-08 11:19 AM

Expert

Hey Matthew, and Gordo, too, you are successfully combining workout & family time. That's not always easy, I know: the hardest part is just getting out the door with a baby/toddler. Actually, that doesn't seem to change much as they get older. When the kids were little we joined  a fancy schmancy fitness center with an excellent childcare facility - that was always great - I could drop them off and go get a workout by myself. It was my ONLY alone time all day and I loved it. For a while, when I was working FT we had an au pair live with us - that was a great childcare option for us at the time, we had the pleasure of getting to know this wonderful young lady from a far away culture/place, consistent reliable childcare, time for me to get my work done and get some workouts, and a lifetime friend for the family.

2009-06-08 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2202085

User image

Champion
mtntord - 2009-06-08 10:50 AM Nice job on finishing the distance. Read your race report and it seems like your learned a lot. I don't understand why some people want to wade the entire course. I started in front of my swim wave, but my wife said some people waded until the last second. That would be frustrating trying to swim around them. Lots learned it seems like. What's up next for you?

I have a duathlon this weekend.  Last year was the inaugural event and I placed second.  I hope to do as well this time around, but will have to see who shows up to race now that it is more well known.  Throw away the swim, I have a semi chance of being competitive!  After that, I am trying to twist my coach's arm into letting me do an Oly the week after as a "Big Training Day" per Gordo.  It would give me another shot at the swim with a very crowded field and a deep water start, something I have never done before.

2009-06-08 2:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
Gordo, am I being too ambitious to start thinking about racing three weeks after my first Oly in September? The last (I know of) race weekend is three weeks after with an Oly on Saturday and Sprint on Sunday. As my wife is thinking about the Sprint I would do the Oly. We have until August 1 when registration fees go up so some time to think about it.
2009-06-08 3:32 PM

Expert

Hey Matthew - if you are talking about the Giant Acorn, I'll see you there. BTW that is a very good venue for a first tri for your wife. Also - before the Culpeper race in August, if you want, we could meet and ride the course together. It goes through some beautiful countryside. But hilly!

2009-06-09 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2202898

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
mtntord - 2009-06-08 1:10 PM Gordo, am I being too ambitious to start thinking about racing three weeks after my first Oly in September? The last (I know of) race weekend is three weeks after with an Oly on Saturday and Sprint on Sunday. As my wife is thinking about the Sprint I would do the Oly. We have until August 1 when registration fees go up so some time to think about it.

What is your racing history?  Ever done events three weeks apart in the past?

2009-06-09 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2204634

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
GordoByrn - 2009-06-09 10:03 AM
mtntord - 2009-06-08 1:10 PM Gordo, am I being too ambitious to start thinking about racing three weeks after my first Oly in September? The last (I know of) race weekend is three weeks after with an Oly on Saturday and Sprint on Sunday. As my wife is thinking about the Sprint I would do the Oly. We have until August 1 when registration fees go up so some time to think about it.

This is my first season.
May 10 Sprint
August 2 Spring
September 13 Oly
October 3 or 4 Questionable Oly or Sprint

Matthew

Edited by mtntord 2009-06-09 10:04 AM
2009-06-09 10:08 AM

Expert

Hey peoples - I have some happy testing results for swim and run - have been making some improvements. It feels great, and I guess that's something I can share with you all. Did a run test today, a repeat of what I did last year - at the same HR pace improved from 10 minutes per mile to about 9:14 minutes per mile. :-D

2009-06-09 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2203116

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
BabsVa - 2009-06-08 4:32 PM

Hey Matthew - if you are talking about the Giant Acorn, I'll see you there. BTW that is a very good venue for a first tri for your wife. Also - before the Culpeper race in August, if you want, we could meet and ride the course together. It goes through some beautiful countryside. But hilly!

Yes. Giant Acorn. It would be great to get out to Culpeper.  My wife has friends out there which was my reason for doing it. I'll try and talk her into a day of visiting and then we could go biking. It would be great to do the course before the race. I drove Kinetic, but it seemed very different (the hills came sooner then I expected) on the bike.
2009-06-09 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2204857

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
BabsVa - 2009-06-09 11:08 AM

Hey peoples - I have some happy testing results for swim and run - have been making some improvements. It feels great, and I guess that's something I can share with you all. Did a run test today, a repeat of what I did last year - at the same HR pace improved from 10 minutes per mile to about 9:14 minutes per mile. :-D

That's awesome. Great to hear and very encouraging too.
2009-06-10 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2204812

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
mtntord - 2009-06-09 8:57 AM
GordoByrn - 2009-06-09 10:03 AM

This is my first season.
May 10 Sprint
August 2 Spring
September 13 Oly
October 3 or 4 Questionable Oly or Sprint

Matthew

Hey Matthew,

In that case, I'd leave the schedule open for at least a month after the Sept race.  Realistically, you'd be fine physically, however, you might want to ease off on the training pressure for a bit after Sept.

2009-06-11 12:16 AM
in reply to: #2188672

User image

BabsVa - 2009-06-02 7:37 AM

How are the rest of us GordoMentees doing? Suzy you sound like you have got a terrific coach to work with. How about you quiet ones - you still with us? Happy tri-ing all!

Still here, though I've been busy and moving between different bases a lot. Wasn't able to train for almost a week but I've gotten back into it now and am just trying to work more cardio in to things. The place I'm at now I can actually run. Went running outside for the first time in over a year several days ago. Started out way too fast and after stopping and walking a couple of times to get my HR back down finally found a pace I could run at comfortably. Did about three miles and felt fine afterward. Unfortunately all the walking around we've been doing caused by left leg to hurt and I haven't done any running since.  Hopefully tomorrow.

Unfortuantely it'l looking like I may be over here until July due to a detail that I'm now. Not really what I wanted but at least it should give me a chance to work out more as this place has a little better gym, an area I can run and a stationary bike to use. Not the greatest but better than what I had and it lets me get back into things a bit slower than I would have otherwise.

Anyone know of any good tri's in the first half of August? I should have about two weeks of leave I don't yet know what to do with.

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the training/racing.

Rob
2009-06-11 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2209336

User image

Champion
InsertNameHere - 2009-06-11 12:16 AM
BabsVa - 2009-06-02 7:37 AM

How are the rest of us GordoMentees doing? Suzy you sound like you have got a terrific coach to work with. How about you quiet ones - you still with us? Happy tri-ing all!

Still here, though I've been busy and moving between different bases a lot. Wasn't able to train for almost a week but I've gotten back into it now and am just trying to work more cardio in to things. The place I'm at now I can actually run. Went running outside for the first time in over a year several days ago. Started out way too fast and after stopping and walking a couple of times to get my HR back down finally found a pace I could run at comfortably. Did about three miles and felt fine afterward. Unfortunately all the walking around we've been doing caused by left leg to hurt and I haven't done any running since.  Hopefully tomorrow.

Unfortuantely it'l looking like I may be over here until July due to a detail that I'm now. Not really what I wanted but at least it should give me a chance to work out more as this place has a little better gym, an area I can run and a stationary bike to use. Not the greatest but better than what I had and it lets me get back into things a bit slower than I would have otherwise.

Anyone know of any good tri's in the first half of August? I should have about two weeks of leave I don't yet know what to do with.

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the training/racing.

Rob

Hi Rob

Glad to see you are finally closer to a gym.  Even if you cannot be home as soon as you would like, at least you can blow off some steam!  I usually use trifind.com or active.com to find most of my races.  You can select the geography which helps get them a little more local.

CAUTION: Breakthrough swim story ahead!!!

I went to the site of my next Oly this morning with the coach I biked with over the winter.  She watched me sputter around for a while, had me do some deep breathing drills above water and then with the deadman float to calm me down.  Told me I was exhaling too little and stacking my air which was what was making me breathless and causing me to stop in a semi-panic.  I slowly exhaled my air into the water as I swam, took a breath when I needed it and did two laps, non stop.  Oh, and my siting was better because I wasn't so freaked out about getting enough air.  AMAZING.  I AM PSYCHED. 

I Live To Swim

Story Over.  Have a good day.
Suzy

2009-06-11 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2200352

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
BabsVa - 2009-06-07 1:46 PM

Well did my SBR Big Day!

Way to go, that looks like a nice session.  How did you feel the next day?

2009-06-11 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2200907

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
mtntord

I really saw the difference some stress and a warm day could have.

I am seeing this too for me.  I have been trying some runs at around 100 degrees and my HR is too elevated.  When I run in the early morning it is so much easier.  What time of day do you usually run?
2009-06-11 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2202021

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
SSMinnow

DFL

DFL???  You are sandbagging!  Great job on the swim and race, sounded rough out there.
2009-06-11 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
G- I have a question about breathing during the swim.  Like Suzy mentions above, I have seen a lot about breathing out continuously while your head is in the water.  I breathe out just before I turn my head to be out of the water to take the breathe.  Should I be breathing out the whole time?  I tried it once and felt like I was not getting enough oxygen, felt light-headed and like I was going to pass out.  Maybe I was breathing out too much?
2009-06-11 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2210383

User image

Champion
cjhild - 2009-06-11 10:53 AM G- I have a question about breathing during the swim.  Like Suzy mentions above, I have seen a lot about breathing out continuously while your head is in the water.  I breathe out just before I turn my head to be out of the water to take the breathe.  Should I be breathing out the whole time?  I tried it once and felt like I was not getting enough oxygen, felt light-headed and like I was going to pass out.  Maybe I was breathing out too much?

Hi Justin

I will let G be the expert, but I have had all sorts of conflicting advice from coaches and done it several different ways. One thing I am learning as I go through the swim struggles it is partly what ends up working for you and partly based on where you are swimming.  When I am in the pool, I can blow my air out very close to the time I breathe and be fine, mostly.  Get me in OW where there are a lot of other things to think about and I blow up when I do it that way.   While I am thrilled with today's swim, I know it is only one more step in the right direction.

I have experienced what you describe and the only thing I can say is if you breathe your air out too fast and you are not rotated to get new air, you do feel like you are in oxygen debt.  I wonder if you gently blow out versus blast it out, it might be better.  As practice, take a really deep breath and do the deadman float, slowly exhaling air.  I did that a few times today and it helped ingrain the pattern in my head. When I got off track while swimming, I thought about that pattern to get me back on track.  Just my two cents.

Suzy  

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-06-11 12:37 PM

2009-06-11 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2210245

Expert

cjhild - 2009-06-11 11:28 AM

Well did my SBR Big Day!

I was sore but after 24 hours felt fine. I've been logging consistent training hours for more than a year now and I think I'm tolerating the work much better, recovering better. Of course it was not a RACE it was easy paced (except the bike, chasing those dudes up and down the hills of Albemarle County, that was going pretty hard)

2009-06-11 1:21 PM

Expert

I kind of exhale underwater in rhythm with my strokes - exhale1-2 3 - breathe - exhale1-2 3 - breathe -

Well, swam another continuous mile or so today, this time in the lake. Not really confident about the distance covered but feel pretty sure that I swam this EVEN slower than in the pool. Gordo, without a wetsuit, is OWS maybe 15% slower than a pool? Between sighting, course corrections, and no push off the wall - yeah, it's gotta be slower. This swim was somewhat afflicted with get-'er-done-itis, but after it was over I did kind of look around at the mountains and the forest surrounding the lake and said

wow,

beautiful

Sometimes I get a bit caught up in the metrics and the piling up of training numbers but then kind of remember how amazing it is that we can do these things, how strong we are, yet so humble in the big scheme of things and there we are swimming biking running, moving, living our lives as fully as we can.

Anyway, a little bit of trippin' on endorphins thoughts. Take care all!

2009-06-11 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2210846

User image

Champion
BabsVa - 2009-06-11 12:58 PM

cjhild - 2009-06-11 11:28 AM

Well did my SBR Big Day!

I was sore but after 24 hours felt fine. I've been logging consistent training hours for more than a year now and I think I'm tolerating the work much better, recovering better. Of course it was not a RACE it was easy paced (except the bike, chasing those dudes up and down the hills of Albemarle County, that was going pretty hard)

Hi Barb

Regarding your soreness after a long day: One thing I have been working on more diligently since acquiring Steve is recovery and it has made a difference.  After my Oly he had me do a 20 min super ez spin on the CT that night and another 45 ez CT ride and 30 minute swim the next day. The body felt great.  Also changed up my nutrition from not eating for a couple hours after working out to drinking some sort of recovery beverage within 20-30 minutes.  For me, that is skim chocolate milk (YUM) .  That too seems to help.

Suzy
2009-06-12 10:48 AM

Expert

Good ideas for the recovery, Suzy, especially the CHOCOLATE milk. I actually did a light spin/swim the day after the SBR BDT and they both helped a lot. Also ice bath immediately after workout. Actually I think I am feeling fatigue more now, several days later, though it's hard to tell what with it being a very busy week, kids out of school, swim meets, Lakers games, etc.

And as it turns out it seems likely I will not be able to do that Olympic, will have to settle for our local one a month later. 

Have a good weekend everyone.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  

of 27