BT Development Mentor Program Archives » WittyCityGirl's Group - FULL =) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2009-07-07 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2266218

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: WittyCityGirl's Group - FULL =)
Jessica - You are going to be fine!  Just remember goal is to finish.  You will learn so much after completing your first tri. 

I would also try a higher cadence especially at the end of your bike.  Get your legs used to spinning at a higher turnover to get you ready for the run.  And yes, like they said hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! 

And most importantly - have FUN! 

jae.miles - 2009-07-06 9:23 PM I went out and drove the route my sprint will be on today, and have a few worries. Hopefully you guys can help...

The first 4 miles of the bike are really hilly, with a lot of little drops and then bigger climbs. Nothing too steep, but I'll be climbing out of a canyon and I'm worried that I won't be ready for those so soon after the swim. There aren't hills like that around here in Boise (unless I'm mtn biking, and I don't have a mtn bike for that) so I'm not sure how to prepare for that. Any suggestions?

Also, there are some stretches that are nicely shaded, but most of the run will be in the full sun, with temps expected in the high 90's. Since I haven't run like that before, how do you hydrate? Water? gatorade? Should most of this on the bike?

Thanks in advance for your advice! After checking out the route, I'm pretty confident, minus these two bumps, that I'm going to ROCK this. Yay!

2009-07-08 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2266218

User image

Upstate NY
jae.miles - 2009-07-06 10:23 PM I went out and drove the route my sprint will be on today, and have a few worries. Hopefully you guys can help...

The first 4 miles of the bike are really hilly, with a lot of little drops and then bigger climbs. Nothing too steep, but I'll be climbing out of a canyon and I'm worried that I won't be ready for those so soon after the swim. There aren't hills like that around here in Boise (unless I'm mtn biking, and I don't have a mtn bike for that) so I'm not sure how to prepare for that. Any suggestions?

Also, there are some stretches that are nicely shaded, but most of the run will be in the full sun, with temps expected in the high 90's. Since I haven't run like that before, how do you hydrate? Water? gatorade? Should most of this on the bike?

Thanks in advance for your advice! After checking out the route, I'm pretty confident, minus these two bumps, that I'm going to ROCK this. Yay!

Yep you are going to ROCK.  Like Betsy said, don't forget to have fun!

For the heat I have been trying to figure it out by trying to run in the heat to get an idea of my nutrition needs. 
2009-07-08 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2072537

User image

Upstate NY
Sara - See you are volunteering at LP IM and plan to sign up for the 2010 race.  I am doing the same thing (will be at bike aid station 1).  Do you know how much it costs to register?  Saw it might be $500+, but could not find any definite information.
2009-07-08 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Jessica, of course you will rock and have fun doing it.  Go into the race with an open mind, absorb all the learning you will be doing by watching others, ask lots of questions...I continue to learn something every race I do. 

I agree with Sara.  Stay in a low bike gear and take it very easy the first 4mi of the bike.  Get through the hills with as little effort as possible, then you can pick it up depending on how you feel.  There should be at least one decent hill around you to train on right?  Instead of going out and riding 15mi or so, just go up and down that one hill.  Go up it, then take your time and get your heart rate back down, then repeat several times.  If you really don't have any hills then on your normal rides, ride in a higher/harder gear than you're used to. 

As for the heat, that is something I am somewhat familiar with.  What time is your tri?  Most of mine start at 7am, and most sprint races don't last for more than a few hours, so you usually are not running in the hottest parts of the day.  That being said...hydrate for a minimum of 3 days before the race.  You will have to go to the bathroom all the time, but that is what you want.  For some reason, my body doesn't handle eating/drinking much on the run, so I tend to try and do as much as I can early on in the bike.  I'll use the first half of the bike to really drink water/gatorade, then taper off later in the bike.  If you do a gel, then i would recommend just sticking to water and not using gatorade.  Gels are concentrated sugars and most require at least 8oz of water to dilute them to proper consistency for your body to absorb. 

On the run, I might do a small sip but that is about it.  If you drank well on the bike you shouldn't need much if any on the run.  I will still grab water but then pour it on my head to cool off.    And for anyone running in the heat, I highly recommend a visor or hat.  Not just any hats, but check with your local bike/run shop and they will usually sell sweat-wicking lightweight hats.  I just discovered them about 1yr ago as one came free in a race packet...now i can't run without one.  Keeps the sweat out of the face and the sun off my head. 
2009-07-08 10:30 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Anyone watching the Tour de France???  I love it and watch it religiously! I am not a die-hard Lance fan but I am routing for him, especially since he is representing my home town of Austin.  I did get to meet him once about 2-3 years ago, he was eating at a small local pizzeria.   He is a lot smaller than he seems on TV!
2009-07-09 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2269821

User image

Master
Dunedin
I'm in the women's transition area for the afternoon.  I can't check online because my work blocks the Ironman website!! I thought I saw $525, but it may change depending on USAT membership status.  I gotta figure out how we pay, actually.  I hope a check will work because it would stink to bring that much cash around.

Where are you staying for the weekend?  I'm supposed pitching a tent in Wilmington State Park (??) with some other gal who is volunteering in the TA area. 

I figure the camping route is a good idea for planning accomodations for next year. I doubt I'll be able to afford the prices that I've "heard" they charge for motels/hotels up there for IM weekend!!

RobbyN210 - 2009-07-08 10:25 AM Sara - See you are volunteering at LP IM and plan to sign up for the 2010 race.  I am doing the same thing (will be at bike aid station 1).  Do you know how much it costs to register?  Saw it might be $500+, but could not find any definite information.

2009-07-10 7:56 AM

User image

Upstate NY
I'll be staying at a campground called Wilmington Notch.  Yeah for the price you can beat it!

Thanks for the info, yeah looks like they will only accept credit cards as payments, no cash or checks, per...
2009 ATHLETE GUIDE                     
2009-07-10 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2270029

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
I really don't keep up with the Tour de France.  That's cool you got to meet Lance.  I bet he is a tiny/skinny thing! 

chichitao - 2009-07-08 10:30 AM Anyone watching the Tour de France???  I love it and watch it religiously! I am not a die-hard Lance fan but I am routing for him, especially since he is representing my home town of Austin.  I did get to meet him once about 2-3 years ago, he was eating at a small local pizzeria.   He is a lot smaller than he seems on TV!
2009-07-10 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2276175

User image

Master
Dunedin
I've been watching on and off. I really don't understand the cycling jargon at all, but it's impressive how athletic those folks are!  I think I like the bike helmets that look like golfballs. =)

Betsy0706 - 2009-07-10 11:43 AM I really don't keep up with the Tour de France.  That's cool you got to meet Lance.  I bet he is a tiny/skinny thing! 

chichitao - 2009-07-08 10:30 AM Anyone watching the Tour de France???  I love it and watch it religiously! I am not a die-hard Lance fan but I am routing for him, especially since he is representing my home town of Austin.  I did get to meet him once about 2-3 years ago, he was eating at a small local pizzeria.   He is a lot smaller than he seems on TV!
2009-07-10 2:58 PM

User image

Expert

I haven't managed to watch much (usually at work when it's on) but I've been following the results daily.  Interesting developements today!  It's a fascinating study in team psychology...  I really wonder what Lance came in planning to do.

I'm going to try out my new sneaks today- Pearl Izumi synchro floats.  My first time with PIs- I have picky feet so I'm crossing my fingers...

2009-07-10 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Hey all!  Have a great weekend (FINALLY, my first tri of the season tomorrow!).  

Here is something that was shared with my first mentor group-

"Mantras when things get tough: 

1) The pain I am feeling now is nothing compared to the pain I will feel if I do not meet my goals. 

2) This is not a hill, but something that helps me have a better view from the top. 

3) Pain is fear leaving the body. ( a good pain

4) Work works."

Happy and safe training!

2009-07-13 4:03 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Where has everyone gone?? Hope you all had a great weekend! My race went MUCH better than planned. 1st in my age group, 3rd female and 25th overall despite LOTS of wind!
2009-07-14 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2282160

User image

Expert

WittyCityGirl - 2009-07-13 5:03 PM Where has everyone gone?? Hope you all had a great weekend! My race went MUCH better than planned. 1st in my age group, 3rd female and 25th overall despite LOTS of wind!

CONGRATULATIONS!  We are very proud of our fearless leader .  Great job, and great motivation for you coming into the musselman!

2009-07-14 5:05 PM

Veteran
Ontario

Still alive here.  Sorry I have been a little MIA, not really on the computer that much lately.

I have more or less decided not to do the HIM in September.  Its really just come down to the fact that I really don't enjoy swimming, and the whole race has been becoming less exciting to me.  I would rather play tennis than go swimming.  I would rather ride trails then ride endless miles on the road.  Running I enjoy, and will keep that up, and might even try and focus on just that.  But training stopped being fun when I told myself to do things I didn't enjoy as much as other things.

I guess I just don't have the drive to want to do a triathlon right now, and a duathlon is even less appealing for some reason.  Maybe someday, but not this year.  I am going to aim for a half marathon by the end of the year, and see where that takes me.  I also want to get back into climbing, as I haven't been once this year.  Something that got pushed back due to the 72 other sports I was doing lol.

2009-07-14 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2285308

User image

Master
Dunedin
Hey Rob, 

Good for you for figuring out that it's best to step back when your heart isn't into something.  It sounds like you have so many interests and it's a shame to give them less attention when you feel like you have to spend so much time on just three.  The swim is a daunting part of the triathlon for many people and I wish I was able to give you enough advice over the 'net to get you to the point of enjoying it and reaping some health benefits...it's definitely a sport that all of us should enjoy well into old age. Good luck with your 1/2 marathon training!

Robb - 2009-07-14 6:05 PM

Still alive here.  Sorry I have been a little MIA, not really on the computer that much lately.

I have more or less decided not to do the HIM in September.  Its really just come down to the fact that I really don't enjoy swimming, and the whole race has been becoming less exciting to me.  I would rather play tennis than go swimming.  I would rather ride trails then ride endless miles on the road.  Running I enjoy, and will keep that up, and might even try and focus on just that.  But training stopped being fun when I told myself to do things I didn't enjoy as much as other things.

I guess I just don't have the drive to want to do a triathlon right now, and a duathlon is even less appealing for some reason.  Maybe someday, but not this year.  I am going to aim for a half marathon by the end of the year, and see where that takes me.  I also want to get back into climbing, as I haven't been once this year.  Something that got pushed back due to the 72 other sports I was doing lol.

2009-07-15 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2285801

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Rob - I agree.  It's definitely better to enjoy the training than to just "hammer your way through it."  Like Sara said enjoy the other sports you DO like.  Life's just too short.   ENJOY training for your half marathon!

Robb - 2009-07-14 6:05 PM

2009-07-16 11:11 AM

User image

Upstate NY
Thought I'd share this...

Most of my long workouts (over two hours) are either done on the weekends or the afternoon.  (rarely will I do it first thing in the morning)

This morning I decided to do my run/bike brick first thing in the morning so I got up at 4a, had my usual breakfast, and headed out for a 25 minute run.  After the run I grabbed my bike, water, and two gels and headed out for my 2 hour ride.

For the past week I have been trying to push myself closer to my race pace, so I was moving a lot faster then I usually do on training rides.  I got to my turn around point, had my two gels and some water and headed back.

After about 1 hr 30 minutes I felt hungry, but I didn't have any more nutrition on me.  I keep riding, and then 5 minutes later I started slowing down, was getting light headed, and could not focus.  Luckily I was only only a few minutes from a store and actually had some money on me, so I went in and grabbed something to eat.

Still felt a little out of it after I ate something, but felt a lot better then I was before.

Lesson learned - Have a better breakfast before these long runs, and carry extra nutrition in case I need it.  I usually do on long rides, but didn't think about it.  Guess I don't see these rides as "long" rides like I use to.

I'll keep playing around with my nutrition :-)

2009-07-16 2:33 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Little update...I've had this nagging pain on my lower left ribcage/upper left abdomen area over the past 3 weeks.  I just kept blowing it off thinking it would get better, but it never did.  Finally decided to go to a doc today and he thinks i might have a viral infection in my lungs.  Put me on some meds and sent me to get a chest xray.  Should hopefully know here within a week if that is the problem.  He said that would explain the fatigue and loss of energy.  We'll see...
2009-07-16 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2289432

User image

Master
Dunedin
WOW! Nice job getting up so early!  Nutrition is such a personal thing, so it's smart that you practice in your training what works for you.

RobbyN210 - 2009-07-16 12:11 PM Thought I'd share this...

Most of my long workouts (over two hours) are either done on the weekends or the afternoon.  (rarely will I do it first thing in the morning)

This morning I decided to do my run/bike brick first thing in the morning so I got up at 4a, had my usual breakfast, and headed out for a 25 minute run.  After the run I grabbed my bike, water, and two gels and headed out for my 2 hour ride.

For the past week I have been trying to push myself closer to my race pace, so I was moving a lot faster then I usually do on training rides.  I got to my turn around point, had my two gels and some water and headed back.

After about 1 hr 30 minutes I felt hungry, but I didn't have any more nutrition on me.  I keep riding, and then 5 minutes later I started slowing down, was getting light headed, and could not focus.  Luckily I was only only a few minutes from a store and actually had some money on me, so I went in and grabbed something to eat.

Still felt a little out of it after I ate something, but felt a lot better then I was before.

Lesson learned - Have a better breakfast before these long runs, and carry extra nutrition in case I need it.  I usually do on long rides, but didn't think about it.  Guess I don't see these rides as "long" rides like I use to.

I'll keep playing around with my nutrition :-)

2009-07-16 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2289901

User image

Master
Dunedin
Keep us updated!

chichitao - 2009-07-16 3:33 PM Little update...I've had this nagging pain on my lower left ribcage/upper left abdomen area over the past 3 weeks.  I just kept blowing it off thinking it would get better, but it never did.  Finally decided to go to a doc today and he thinks i might have a viral infection in my lungs.  Put me on some meds and sent me to get a chest xray.  Should hopefully know here within a week if that is the problem.  He said that would explain the fatigue and loss of energy.  We'll see...
2009-07-16 11:16 PM
in reply to: #2289901

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

chichitao - 2009-07-16 2:33 PM Little update...I've had this nagging pain on my lower left ribcage/upper left abdomen area over the past 3 weeks.  I just kept blowing it off thinking it would get better, but it never did.  Finally decided to go to a doc today and he thinks i might have a viral infection in my lungs.  Put me on some meds and sent me to get a chest xray.  Should hopefully know here within a week if that is the problem.  He said that would explain the fatigue and loss of energy.  We'll see...

Man Tim, I hope all is well with ya brother!

Sorry I have not been around much either!  I am racing this weekend and I picked up my race packet and I got the one number I did not want. #69!  even the guy made a crack about "you got the number al the single guys want!" I hate it, so I wondered, does the number matter to you guys?

2009-07-17 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2290818

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX

So sorry to hear that Tim.  Definitely keep us updated.  Hopefully the meds will do it's magic quickly!

James - It's never bothered me but I'm a girl.  People can't talk smack if you're blowing past them...right?

jford2309 - 2009-07-16 11:16 PM

chichitao - 2009-07-16 2:33 PM Little update...I've had this nagging pain on my lower left ribcage/upper left abdomen area over the past 3 weeks.  I just kept blowing it off thinking it would get better, but it never did.  Finally decided to go to a doc today and he thinks i might have a viral infection in my lungs.  Put me on some meds and sent me to get a chest xray.  Should hopefully know here within a week if that is the problem.  He said that would explain the fatigue and loss of energy.  We'll see...

Sorry I have not been around much either!  I am racing this weekend and I picked up my race packet and I got the one number I did not want. #69!  even the guy made a crack about "you got the number al the single guys want!" I hate it, so I wondered, does the number matter to you guys?

2009-07-17 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Meant to say - good luck to our racers this weekend - James and Sara!  Am I forgetting anyone else? 

TGIF! 
2009-07-17 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2290818

User image

Master
Dunedin
My husband actually said that 69 was the only number he wanted for last weeks race.  I had 83 and my mom said it was good luck since I was born in 83. =)  I used to keep my race numbers as momentos, and haven't in a while, but yours might be a keeper for some folks! ha!

jford2309 - 2009-07-17 12:16 AM

2009-07-17 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2291421

User image

Master
Dunedin
Thanks!! 

I leave in just two hours to head up to my race in Geneva, NY. Eeeeek!!!  I started the carbo-loading prep. Bought lots of pasta, so the 2 1/2 hour ride is going to consist of eating, eating, eating. Then tomorrow more eating! =)  So far, this has been my favorite part of the half Ironman experience! =p

Good luck James!

Betsy0706 - 2009-07-17 10:27 AM Meant to say - good luck to our racers this weekend - James and Sara!  Am I forgetting anyone else? 

TGIF! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » WittyCityGirl's Group - FULL =) Rss Feed  

of 23