BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-05-14 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2081113

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
Subject: RE: RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL!
I put my swim workouts in a small ziploc.  Never had it moved, that's weird.  I just got my Swimcount lap timer.  I'll get to try it out tomorrow morning.

The best thing I've done for myself with swimming was take Master's level swim lessons.  I found out about them through talking to a Master's coach.  I was struggling with recovering from swimmer's shoulder and while researching it, I quickly began to suspect I'd volunteered for it, learning that many the things I was taught to do in the 80's, we now know contribute to injury (like put my hands in thumb straight down, no hip rotation, make a big "S" pattern under your body as you pull under your body).  I got a little instruction at the Masters practices, lots at these lessons.  The instructor was a Master's swimmer, triathlete, and high school coach.  She put us all in lanes and gave us individual plans.  Most of us were would-be triathletes. For me, she totally disassembled my stroke, and put it back together with an emphasis on preventing the recurrence of swimmer's shoulder and balancing my stroke.  Then she started giving me tips on tri-specific swim training.

I think I'd like to repeat the swim lessons here and there as long as I can find an instructor who's coach-level, not just used to teaching non-swimmers how to swim.

How do you think I could find something like that for running?  I suspect my running form is pretty much playground level.

I didn't run last night due to lightning and will be on the trainer this morning for the same reason.  Also, I gave up and just went to bed at 8:30 last night when something little got me started crying and I just couldn't stop.  For me, sleep is the only thing that'll break that mood.  Definite sign of exhaustion.

After 12+ hours sleep, the kids and I are MUCH happier pleasant people :-)

No layoffs today.  Probably next Tues, Wed, or Thurs...

Cheryl

2009-05-14 2:10 PM
in reply to: #2149358

User image

Expert
Chicago
calimavs - 2009-05-13 6:26 PM
Stupid swimming logistics question for the group: When you have a specific written down workout to do, do you memorize it or bring something with you to the pool to help you follow along? I brought a printout of the plan totally realizing and intending that it would get soaked and left it by the side of the pool with my kick board and pull buoy. Someone ended up picking it up and moving it over to the side when I was at the other end of the pool. So I ended up bringing it back and setting it directly on my kick board so no one would touch it. I think I need to get one of those plastic sheet protectors or something.

Am I breaking some unwritten rule that I don't know about by bringing my workout written down to the pool with me?

Definitely not breaking any rules. I actually use a plastic page protector for my workouts and snap it to a clipboard when I swim on my own.

Our masters group just distributes pages of paper...they get wet...but it's still legible.

I think leaving something like an extra swim cap or a water bottle with the page at the end of your lane should be enough indication not to move it!
2009-05-14 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2150236

User image

Expert
Chicago
dsmallacomb - 2009-05-14 8:53 AM

I went to Master's swim last night. The coach was nice and did make a few suggestions. All the other swimmers were way more advanced(swimming 4000 yds). I did what I could and didn't feel like anyone was judging. I'm just not sure that one or two pointers will make a difference. I'm thinking that I should get private lessons. The pointers were to keep my chin tucked and to move my arms like if you were propelling on a surf board and not crossing your arms under water beneath your stomach. Just signed up for a great run event in Philadelpia. It is a five person team event where you each run 8.4 mile laps within 24 hours. We've signed up for the Gold which means each team member runs three laps (25.2 miles) within 24 hours. Looks like everyone is really practicing their swimming. Keep up the good work

Denise

Oh sweetie, I can completely relate to your masters experience.

Are there other masters groups in your area that you could look into? I think asking the ability level of the group at large is the way to go. The thing with swimming is that at some point or another, everyone was in the same boat...poor form...low endurance...etc. Some folks just worked the kinks out earlier in life than the rest of us.

If you decide to go the private lesson route, definitely see if you can find a coach that comes from a TI background. Or maybe see if there will be a TI workshop coming to your area (looks as if there's one in Philly in June at Temple). While pricey (about the cost of 5-6 private swim lessons) you get 2 days of attention and hands-on insight with the TI method of swimming. Folks here on BT that have gone have had pretty great reviews from what I've read.

The run in Philly sounds awesome!! I used to live just outside Philly (on the NJ side) back in the day. I remember it being a fun area--I've always wanted to go back and race there sometime.
2009-05-14 2:56 PM
in reply to: #2150353

User image

Expert
Chicago
lovesreading - 2009-05-14 9:23 AM
How do you think I could find something like that for running?  I suspect my running form is pretty much playground level.

Psst...check into Chi Running. There are certified coaches and clinics out there...and a book if you're more of a "figure it out yourself-er." It's part core focus, part mental, part body positioning...it's an easy read that has some fundamental exercises you can integrate quickly.

Get plenty of sleep this weekend, Cheryl!
2009-05-14 3:04 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
So this weekend I am headed off to Kansas for my brother-in-law's graduation. I'm hoping to pop on here a few times over the next couple of days to update logs and see how you fine folks are doing. Between a 9 hour car ride (each way), packing up my brother in law, going to graduation, catching up with old friends and visiting my family, I'm somehow supposed to get in a 3:20/45min bike-run brick, a 2:40 long run and 2600 in the pool. Heaven help me!! I'm going to be up at 5 every morning to get everything accomplished.

If you need anything at all, please don't hesitate to drop me a PM or an email at barbsmarathon AT gmail.com ...as long as I'm connected online I like to think I'm pretty reachable!!

Keep up the incredible effort with Training the next few days. Best of luck to everyone racing this weekend. Have fun, be fearless and seize the day!!! You are all infinitely more awesome than you give yourselves credit for!

PS...Erin, you better go and celebrate being done with finals!!
2009-05-14 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2151399

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
RunningJayhawk - 2009-05-14 3:04 PM

So this weekend I am headed off to Kansas for my brother-in-law's graduation. I'm hoping to pop on here a few times over the next couple of days to update logs and see how you fine folks are doing. Between a 9 hour car ride (each way), packing up my brother in law, going to graduation, catching up with old friends and visiting my family, I'm somehow supposed to get in a 3:20/45min bike-run brick, a 2:40 long run and 2600 in the pool. Heaven help me!! I'm going to be up at 5 every morning to get everything accomplished.

If you need anything at all, please don't hesitate to drop me a PM or an email at barbsmarathon AT gmail.com ...as long as I'm connected online I like to think I'm pretty reachable!!

Keep up the incredible effort with Training the next few days. Best of luck to everyone racing this weekend. Have fun, be fearless and seize the day!!! You are all infinitely more awesome than you give yourselves credit for!

PS...Erin, you better go and celebrate being done with finals!!

Have a good trip Barb! Good luck getting all that training in.

2009-05-14 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2151371

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
I just registered my 3 and 5 year olds for their first ever race:  Tri for Joe Kids' Fun Run - a 1/4miler this Sunday.  Since I have to pick up their race packets before 7am that day, I went ahead and registered myself for the 5K run at 8am.

When I told Chandrika (5yo) that maybe I could run with her, she grinned and said, "Only if you can catch me!"

Trash talking at 5.  Can't wait til she's a teen Sealed

------------------
Cheryl
2009-05-14 5:51 PM
in reply to: #2151773

User image

Veteran
North Central WA

lovesreading - 2009-05-14 3:45 PM I just registered my 3 and 5 year olds for their first ever race: Tri for Joe Kids' Fun Run - a 1/4miler this Sunday. Since I have to pick up their race packets before 7am that day, I went ahead and registered myself for the 5K run at 8am.

When I told Chandrika (5yo) that maybe I could run with her, she grinned and said, "Only if you can catch me!"

Trash talking at 5. Can't wait til she's a teen Sealed

------------------
Cheryl

That's great, funny & scary all at the same time.  I wish I could get my 4 yr old to run.  He says he wants to go with me but then he just wants to walk.

2009-05-14 7:03 PM
in reply to: #2151780

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
lghays - 2009-05-14 6:51 PM  That's great, funny & scary all at the same time. 

Scary, no kidding!  I can barely keep up with her if I push all out.  I know I'm still really slow (11+min miles), but she seems fast for such little legs!  Her dad runs an 8:30min mile and he says he has to work too.  He also says I have to run with her on Sunday, he gets Tark...Tongue out

Cheryl
2009-05-14 9:29 PM

User image

New user
Sandusky
Hey all, I love all the suggestions for pool workouts and how to keep them dry/from getting moved.  What great ideas! I of course forgot to do that this morning, but my next swim I plan to put my workout in a plastic baggy.  what does everyone do to keep their time accurately? I have a cheapy athletic watch I put at the end of the pool and I just watch the clock. maybe I need to have something waterproof.  Maybe my watch is waterproof...I think I need to do some investigating.  Just wondering how people keep time.  My swim went well today, I feel like my endurance is getting better. 

Barb- have a great trip!

Good luck to all those who are racing this weekend!

I have tomorrow off and I'm so excited.  I'm running in the morning and then heading to Cleveland with my husband and parents to visit the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame (got to check out the Bruce Springsteen exhibit) and then to a fun restaurant Lolita! The restaurant is Iron Chef and Cleveland native Michael Symon! Super pumped.

TGIF!
2009-05-14 9:47 PM
in reply to: #2152063

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
erin.kelsey - 2009-05-14 10:29 PM \what does everyone do to keep their time accurately? \

For interval timing, my pool has 2 pace clocks plus a wall clock.  I use the wall clock to get the start and end times of my whole workout.  For intervals or rest, I use the pace clocks.  If I didn't have the pace clocks, I'd just use anything with a secondhand...

Based on this thread on lap counting:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=156466&posts=52&start=1

I just got a Sportcount Chrono 100.  It'll give me individual lap times on my first 99 laps, and let me pause it as necessary.  I get to play with it tomorrow for the first time :-)

2009-05-15 5:17 AM

Extreme Veteran
Hope your travels are safe, Barb. Have fun with the family and balancing the training!

Congrats, Erin...you have definitely earned a fun weekend! I bet Symon's restaurant is awesome...I'd love to hear a review.

I just wrapped up my Friday workout...a 25 minute run with some speed work. I'm glad it's out of the way because I have a relatively easy 1/2 day at work...and plenty of time for relaxing this evening.

Have a great Friday, everyone, and for those who are racing, go out and rock this weekend!
2009-05-15 6:39 AM

User image

Veteran

Good morning all,

Barb - stay safe on the road and have a blast this weekend!

Erin - I know you are glad to have finals over with.  Have a wonderful time in Cleveland.

It was an early start to the day, but I am glad to have the workout in the books.  It will be great to come home after school today...by the way, please pray for my freshmen today as they take their AP Human Geography test, they need all they can get...and be able to relax.

For all of you racing this weekend, kick butt and take names.  I know all of you will do an awesome job and I can not wait to read the race report.

Have a good Friday everyone!

2009-05-15 11:16 AM

User image

Expert
Hi All!

Ok, I think the pre-race jitters are hitting me (well, I think they HAVE been all week!)  I'm leaving early for work today, then running a couple of errands, then getting my stuff together to head out to Galena.  My carpool's picking me up around 4ish.  Once we get my stuff loaded into his car, we're picking up another tri club member, then we hit the road.  Unfortunately, since we're going after work, we'll most definitely hit traffic, so it'll probably take us 3+ hours to get there   I'm just hoping we get there before gear check closes at 9pm, otherwise we'll have to wait until morning to check our stuff into the transition areas.  And I really don't want to have to worry about that stuff right before the race!

Anyways, thanks for the well wishes, everyone!  My wave starts at 9:27am, so by this time tomorrow, I'll be in the midst of my race Surprised
2009-05-15 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Good morning everyone!

Good luck this weekend to everyone who is racing! Get out there and kick butt!

I had a really nice long run last night outside. It was my first run outside in two months since before my groin injury back in March. It felt really good to be back out there. I had planned a swim today but my body is screaming for a rest day so I'm going to take it easy. Tomorrow I have a bike ride planned in the morning, and I might try to squeeze the swim in during the afternoon between a haircut and errands.

We're going to San Diego next weekend for 4 days to visit my family (it's my hometown) and attend my Dad's college graduation. He went back to school after he retired and is getting his bachelors so it is a HUGE event for my family. I'm already planning a run on the beach and an OWS while we are down there. I just wish I had bought my wet suit already so I could try it out in the ocean but I think I need to space my large tri-related purchases out a bit.
2009-05-15 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2152289

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
I ran this morning - fartlek around the neighborhood.  This evening, I'll swim a bit.

2009-05-15 1:25 PM

User image

Veteran
North Central WA

Today my body says "rest please."  So I am. 

This morning my son & I picked up the toy room.  Actually it was mostly me, he kept pulling stuff back out as I put it away.  After he takes a rest and we have lunch we're going over to the "veggie store" as we call it.  It's a small seasonal produce market.  Once the season starts we get a weekly box of delicious in-season locally grown vegetables & fruit from them.  I love it.

To everyone racing this weekend:

ALLEZ, ALLEZ, ALLEZ!!!!!!   (Go!)                    FAIDO, FAIDO, FAIDO!!!!!!   (Fight!)

2009-05-16 9:12 AM

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
Good morning and happy Saturday!

I'm on break at work and on break today from working out as well.

Yesterday evening's swim failed due to lightning, so I thought I'd hop on the trainer and do Saturday's ride early.

Legs had a different idea, unfortunately.  I couldn't sustain a cadence over 90 for anything.  Just felt leaden.  I gave up at 45 min, instead of 1:15.

Today my calves are evil sore -- to the point they woke me up at 4am.  I'm going to keep taking the anti-inflammatories and hope for the best for my 5K tomorrow.  I worked to change my running form to more of a ball-of-foot midstrike yesterday morning.  I bet that's the cause of the soreness...

The weather Sunday should be mid-50F's on a flat course, which sounds doable.

Cheryl

2009-05-17 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2154749

Extreme Veteran

Hope everyone has had a great weekend. I wrapped up an intense training week with a 30-mile bike ride this morning. I started feeling fatigued at mile 29.85...so I timed it just right. Hopefully I'll be able to be consistent in getting in several long and longer rides. Sometimes I'm guilty of accepting a shorter ride so I can get it over with.

I also bit the bullet and finally made a Garmin decision. As much as I wanted the 405, I settled for the 305 because I was able to get 2 for less than the price of a 405. I'll have to get over the gaudiness of it, but I'm not out there to look good while I'm training. Laughing  I'm looking forward to getting it on Tuesday.

2009-05-17 9:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Happy Sunday evening everyone!

I must admit I was quite the slacker this weekend. I had a ride planned yesterday with my husband but he wasn't feeling well in the morning, and then we ended up running a million errands during the day and lo and behold today was busy too and the ride just never happened.

I'm still not comfortable riding alone and I'm beginning to see how I need to carve out time on the weekends for us to get on our bikes and make sure we stick to the plan. Before I started training I always worked out hard during the week and took the weekends off from working out so I think the switch in mindset is what I'm most challenged with.

I'm trying to not beat myself up too much and will be back at spin class tomorrow as usual. Hope everyone had a nice weekend, can't wait to hear how everyone's racing/training went!
2009-05-18 9:49 AM

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
Sunday was fun:  my first 5K.  I had a friend running the duathlon who started a few minutes ahead of me.  I decide that he the rabbit to my greyhound and chased him.

I cut nearly a minute/mile off my best pace and got 3rd in my age group!  I was shocked and elated.  Best of all, I felt like I could have pushed still harder at the end.  Pacing is definitely something I'm still learning to do.  I have a heck of a time figuring out how hard I can gun it and still have enough left to finish.

My kids had fun at their race.  They got finisher's medals and chocolate milk at the finish line, Tshirts and lots of snacks.  They were happy.

Cheryl

2009-05-18 9:57 AM

Extreme Veteran
Congrats on a great race, Cheryl! That's awesome. Glad to hear the little ones had a great time too.
2009-05-18 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran
North Central WA

I had a good weekend.  The weather was amazing.  Saturday I went for a mid-length swim.  In the afternoon all three of us went for an easy 14 mile bike ride.  Nathan (4 yo) got to ride his trail-a-bike and didn't need the pedal blocks.  Wow he's growing so much.  It was nice and warm & sunny.  Wonderful.

On Sunday I got up early (at least it was early for me) and did a 3-miler.  I'm not used to training that early in the morning and my body let me hear it.  I had low energy and was stiff but felt pretty good after I got home and ate and had coffee.

Then we packed up the truck and drove out to Whidbey Island (in western WA) for my husband's mountain bike race.  Nathan loved the ferry ride.  The event was small but fun.  It's called the "Whidbey Island Mudder" but the weather was so nice there was very little mud this year.  Hubby did well but it was more of a high intensity training ride than a race for him.  He was amazed that his average HR was 172 over an hour and a half. 

The bad part was that I forgot to take sunscreen and a hat.  I tried to stay in the shade as much as possible but I still came home with a little pink.

Summer's almost here.  Let the tan lines begin!

I look forward to seeing some good race reports.

2009-05-18 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
Hi Everyone!  I had my race on Saturday, and can I just say it how cold, hilly, and windy it was??   Whew!  But I finished, despite some minor incidents.  I even crashed my bike while trying to take a drink from a water station on the bike course.  Not to self: I'm not very good at grabbing a cup from someone and trying to drink while pedaling uphill!  But since it was uphill, I was going slowly anyways, so I just got a couple of minor scrapes on my leg and arm. 

I wrote all about my race in my blog, in case anyone's interested in hearing about all the gorey details

Anyways, since last week was basically a rest week (besides Saturday), I'm totally ready to start training for my next one in June!  One of my housemates these weekend in the tri club asked me if I wanted to do a women's sprint tri with her (sprint distance), and depending on when it is, I'm considering adding it to my race schedule.  I could use it as extra practice for the Chicago Olympic.

Oh, and Barb. . . I won some free bike gloves at the CTC Galena party on Saturday.  Thanks to my ice bath pics in my wetsuit, I won the award for best/most creative/most unusual way to train for Galena Wink
2009-05-18 4:32 PM

Extreme Veteran
Congrats, Missy! Way to conquer the hills and the weather. You've got the tough one out of the way and sounds like you have a great plan ahead for enjoying even more races in the future. Keep up the great work...and congrats on the gloves. That "picture" sounds hilarious! Laughing
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 26