BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2010-01-26 10:44 AM
in reply to: #2557655

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Subject: RE: Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010!
So, Scott (Masi 68) asked me for any advice about prepping for his first sprint tri in 53 days. The good news is that's just over 7 weeks which is plent of time to prepare!

there's a lot to potentially cover so for now I'll just focus on the workouts commonly called 'bricks'...which are widely misunderstood...the goal of a brick is to go at 'race pace' and prepare the body for the intensity and muscle transition that need to occur during the race.  

For a Sprint distance triathlon it is recommend (with 8 weeks out) that an athlete would do 2 or 3 bricks per week at race pace intensity (Z3-Z4) and also add in one, what I'll call, 'Back to Back' workout.  A 'Back to Back' workout is NOT done at race pace intensity but at a lower intensity keeping the heart rate in a comfortable Z2.

BUT the key to both is the tranisition between disciplines. The transition MUST take between 90-120 seconds. So basically, get your butt moving from the swim to run or bike to run!  Doesn't do you any good to take your time between events in a race and you are trying to replicate the actual event! Don't slack.

so, here are some examples if you are training for a SPRINT distance race with 8 weeks to go:

Brick Workout (2 examples)

KEYS TO SUCCESS: 2 - 3 times a week; Replicating RACE PACE (Heart Rate Z3-Z4) conditions, 90-120 seconds between disciplines!

-  20-30 minute bike at race pace followed by a 10-15 minute run at race pace

-  500m swim followed by a 15 minute run. (please tell the lifeguard you are going out the door for your run...they tend to freak out if they see you leave the pool at the emergency exit...LOL)

You can make up your own combinations but remember, the goal is to replicate race pace and you don't need to go extreme distances to get the benefits!

Back to Back Workout (2 examples)

KEYS TO SUCCESS: 1 x per week / LOWER INTENSITY (Heart rate Zone 2) / 90-120 seconds between disciplines

-  Spin class (60 minutes) followed by a 20 minute jog (yes, keep the HR in the spin class in Z2 or LOW Z3..I know it's hard but it can be done...LOL)

-  Swim 1000m followed by a 20 minute jog

Again, you can make up your own 'back to backs' but remember, lower intensity is the key! You can't 'workout' at race pace every day....

Preperation and discipline are the keys to success! Basically here are 4 good workouts that will prepare you to succesfully finish your Sprint tri.

go get em team Stoop Dog!

Phil 

2010-01-26 1:26 PM

User image

Okay - any advice for girls when it comes to changing, transition areas, swimming wear, running wear and all that jazz??? I have NEVER done anything like this so I really don't know what to expect. I'm doing a sprint tri on June 5th at Lake Lanier, GA.
2010-01-26 4:02 PM

User image

Regular
Berkeley Heights

Been a while since I chimed in.  So I shall jump on the bandwagon of what Phil says about nothing different.  Last year at my first Oly they had HEED on the course and hammer gel packs.  It was about 90 degrees and humid.  I was doing the race at 274lbs.  Let's just say having a routine and be used to putting the same thing in your body is important.

First, wet suit over Tri suit.  2XU tri suit for a "larger" (lol) person such as myself was good, a wee bit tight but did the trick.  However, in T1 I threw a technical T on over it so I didn't get scorched by the sun and nobody wants to see this running in a tri suit!  Also used the race belt, best thing ever.  No need to deal with pins and where to put it. 

Biggest issue was with fuel.  had just Gatorade and Gu on the bike.  Tape Gu or Gel packs to the top tube using Scotch tape.  Tape right across where you would tear the pack.  That way you can just rip them off mid ride.  Scotch tape comes off easy and doesn't hurt the paint.  So the bike was OK.  The fuel on the run as I mentioned was HEED.  Never had it before.  Also Hammer gels on run as well.

So at mile 1.5 I had to run off path and purge the freshly consumed HEED and Hammer Gel because I wasn't used to it.  Unfortunate part is that it was soooo hot and I'm sooo large that the run was really the WALL for me.  I needed gas and the only gas they had was unleaded and I needed Diesel. At mile 4.5 back off the trail for another fun filled emptying of the stomach.

So the moral of the story is, DON'T try anything new!

Check your event ahead of time to see what will be provided on race day.  I suggest either bringing enough of your own of what you are used to and carrying it (which can be a pain) or try out what will be provided on race day during your workouts  so you can get used to it.

This year’s race will be different, I assure you : )

On the workout front, knocked out my first brick yesterday.  Put in a solid hour on a spin bike giving myself 3 minute challenging hills every 15 minutes and mixing up the resistance pretty good while maintaining cadence.
Then knocked out 5.1 on the treadmill (no socks).  I utilized the 3-1 method I've read so much about here.  Surprisingly enough I've never tried that.  I've always done 4-1 or 8-2.  Who ever invented the 3-1 was a genious .  I felt great and could have kept going if I didn't have to get to work.

Used my Polar HRM and my HR was consistently up in the 145 to 155 range during the run segments.  Bottom line is my HR always escalated during the run when you are pounding it out at this weight.  Hopefully with more HR training on runs and continues weight loss, it will only get better and into the lower range.

Well that my story for today!

2010-01-26 6:22 PM

User image

New user
Hey everyone! It's been a awhile for me to post as well, but luckily I've been working hard.  I've immersed myself in spin class 4 times a week.  Still don't have the rainy day money for a trainer so I figure it's better than nothing.  Was able to get the bike set up with clipless peddles and got road shoes.  I might also be joining a tri team for south jersey, which I think will work well since I'll be able to find some people to do OWS with.  

Quick question in terms of bricks.  Do you guys tell the gym what you're doing?  I think I'd feel kind of funny on a bike wet from the swim. Or running from place to place in there.  Thanks!!!

P.S. random decision to do the Rutgers half marathon April 18th!!!! ahhhhhh 
2010-01-26 8:06 PM

User image

Regular
Berkeley Heights
I don't, but the locker rooms in my gym are next to the pool and the workout area is upstairs, so I'll toss on a pair of bike shorts and a shirt and head up.  Who cares, a gym if for sweating!  So if there is a bit of water around your bike...it will dry!
2010-01-26 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2635568

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
momtolucylilly - 2010-01-26 2:26 PMOkay - any advice for girls when it comes to changing, transition areas, swimming wear, running wear and all that jazz??? I have NEVER done anything like this so I really don't know what to expect. I'm doing a sprint tri on June 5th at Lake Lanier, GA.
Talked to my 'female' coach Nicki and she said for short races a swim suit is fine....for the bike, you could just ride in the swimsuit or put on a top if you are more comfortable....you could do the same for the run...it's up to you depending on your comfort level...I would recommend either pre-pinning your race number to your top or shorts though....Phil

2010-01-26 8:21 PM
in reply to: #2636151

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Kristen8040 - 2010-01-26 7:22 PMHey everyone! It's been a awhile for me to post as well, but luckily I've been working hard.  I've immersed myself in spin class 4 times a week.  Still don't have the rainy day money for a trainer so I figure it's better than nothing.  Was able to get the bike set up with clipless peddles and got road shoes.  I might also be joining a tri team for south jersey, which I think will work well since I'll be able to find some people to do OWS with.  

Quick question in terms of bricks.  Do you guys tell the gym what you're doing?  I think I'd feel kind of funny on a bike wet from the swim. Or running from place to place in there.  Thanks!!!

P.S. random decision to do the Rutgers half marathon April 18th!!!! ahhhhhh 
Kristen, AWESOME work!!As for the bricks, nope, I never tell them...I just 'do'...my gym is pretty well immersed into the Tri culture so the trainers are just like "there go more of those wackos..."do it first and ask for permission later...LOLPhil
2010-01-26 10:22 PM

User image

Regular
Great Brick Info Phil Thanks for sharing..
2010-01-27 6:34 AM

Extreme Veteran
So January is winding down, and I looked at my totals just to see what's up:  I'm 9 miles away from running 100 miles this month.  100 miles is pretty much the most I've ever run in a month, so I'm feeling good about this, especially considering the January we've had.  I'm 12,000 meters shy of swimming more in January than I did in all of 2009.  I could do it, but it would be really hard, and I don't think its worth the risk.  Biking, right on target, 0 miles.

My goal for February:  flip turns (maybe)

I hope everyone else is doing good with their goals and have a great day.
2010-01-27 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2636671

User image

Regular
bwingate - 2010-01-27 6:34 AM So January is winding down, and I looked at my totals just to see what's up:  I'm 9 miles away from running 100 miles this month.  100 miles is pretty much the most I've ever run in a month, so I'm feeling good about this, especially considering the January we've had.  I'm 12,000 meters shy of swimming more in January than I did in all of 2009.  I could do it, but it would be really hard, and I don't think its worth the risk.  Biking, right on target, 0 miles.

Great work..100 Miles nice... Pinch your nose when you do them flips so you dont get water in it LOL!!!  After I read your post I looked at my totals and it said I had 64 Hours of strength training ??? I was thinking Dang I should look like the Hulk, but found the log error, I had entered 30 hours a couple of times instead of 30 Minutes...  Any way great #s for the month... Here are mine so far.. Im up form last month also. Volume should steadly increase as we keep progressing.

January's totals:
Bike:4h 25m 30s  - 59 Mi
Run:9h 02m 04s  - 42.51 Mi
Strength:4h 30m
2010-01-27 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2635178

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Thanks Phil (pastoops), that was perfect, just what I was looking for. Thanks for your time and knowledge.

2010-01-27 9:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Hey guys, and ladies. I'm going to be out of the loop for a couple days. Monday evening my 5-year-old daughter, Kai, sufferd a head injury. Her 7-year-old friend, who is twice her size, gave her a hug and lifted my daughter off her feet. Well, she lost her balance and fell forward on my daughter, landing on her head. Kai's head slammed into the blacktop. I had to rush her to Children's Hospital at University Medical Center in Tucson. The doctors put 7 staples in the back of her head. They didn't want to do a cat-scan because it's to much radiation for her young developing brain. So I'm monitoring her at home for signs of confusion, nausea, dilated pupils etc...I wanted to thank everyone in the group for the wealth of knowledge I've gained since being accepted to this mentor group. I have learned so much by reading everyone's threads on a daily basis. Everyone keep up the hard work and I'll talk to you soon.
2010-01-27 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2637143

User image

Regular
Masi 68 - 2010-01-27 9:44 AM Hey guys, and ladies. I'm going to be out of the loop for a couple days. Monday evening my 5-year-old daughter, Kai, sufferd a head injury. Her 7-year-old friend, who is twice her size, gave her a hug and lifted my daughter off her feet. Well, she lost her balance and fell forward on my daughter, landing on her head. Kai's head slammed into the blacktop. I had to rush her to Children's Hospital at University Medical Center in Tucson. The doctors put 7 staples in the back of her head. They didn't want to do a cat-scan because it's to much radiation for her young developing brain. So I'm monitoring her at home for signs of confusion, nausea, dilated pupils etc...I wanted to thank everyone in the group for the wealth of knowledge I've gained since being accepted to this mentor group. I have learned so much by reading everyone's threads on a daily basis. Everyone keep up the hard work and I'll talk to you soon.

Sorry to hear about your daughter I hope she is Ok.  I'll say a prayer for yall.  Take care and keep us posted on how she is doing..
2010-01-27 2:49 PM

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
Masi 68 - 2010-01-27 9:44 AMHey guys, and ladies. I'm going to be out of the loop for a couple days. Monday evening my 5-year-old daughter, Kai, sufferd a head injury. Her 7-year-old friend, who is twice her size, gave her a hug and lifted my daughter off her feet. Well, she lost her balance and fell forward on my daughter, landing on her head. Kai's head slammed into the blacktop. I had to rush her to Children's Hospital at University Medical Center in Tucson. The doctors put 7 staples in the back of her head. They didn't want to do a cat-scan because it's to much radiation for her young developing brain. So I'm monitoring her at home for signs of confusion, nausea, dilated pupils etc...I wanted to thank everyone in the group for the wealth of knowledge I've gained since being accepted to this mentor group. I have learned so much by reading everyone's threads on a daily basis. Everyone keep up the hard work and I'll talk to you soon.
Scott, I wish your daughter well. I have a 8 year old boy and he fell at school last year and got 8 staples in his head. No damage but it was very scary. Please keep us updated...
2010-01-27 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2636671

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
bwingate - 2010-01-27 6:34 AMSo January is winding down, and I looked at my totals just to see what's up:  I'm 9 miles away from running 100 miles this month.  100 miles is pretty much the most I've ever run in a month, so I'm feeling good about this, especially considering the January we've had.  I'm 12,000 meters shy of swimming more in January than I did in all of 2009.  I could do it, but it would be really hard, and I don't think its worth the risk.  Biking, right on target, 0 miles.

That is awesome. Nice job. When you look back now, 100 miles !!!!! That is awesome....

I am far from that but I have been on a daily schedule. Been doing good. I would not say great. I have missed a few morning workouts but my evening ones have been spot on. '

I just got finished with a awesome ride. The weather here in da souf was great this afternoon. I just had to get on wheels. Got in 26.5 miles and averaged 15.5 mph. Not real fast but my area is very hilly and lots of stops for cars/lights and turn arounds. I am pleased but need some more speed. I think my riding position is ok but could use some work.

How many of you use aero bars? I am riding a road bike and are thinking about adding aero bars. The bike shop where I purchased my bike has them but I have no idea what to get? Andy advice?

Yesterday afternoon, I got in a 4.6 mile run in keeping under my 10 min mile pace. I am happy with that. It is coming around.

Tomorrow night is the pool for me. Friday, I will get in a double as I am not working all day...

Lots of good info on here about bricks. It very helpful. Thanks for all who posted them.

2010-01-27 4:20 PM

User image

Regular
My bike has clip on aero bars and it take a bit to get use to them cause the bike handels squirley in that position but it is a comfy ride.  I think I prefer that I have them as to not having them just one more position to use. Mine are "Profile Design" they had the little flip up arm rest and I tie wraped them in the down position cause they are much easier to get into.

Mine look like these

2010-01-27 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2636344

User image

pastoops - 2010-01-26 8:20 PM
momtolucylilly - 2010-01-26 2:26 PMOkay - any advice for girls when it comes to changing, transition areas, swimming wear, running wear and all that jazz??? I have NEVER done anything like this so I really don't know what to expect. I'm doing a sprint tri on June 5th at Lake Lanier, GA.
Talked to my 'female' coach Nicki and she said for short races a swim suit is fine....for the bike, you could just ride in the swimsuit or put on a top if you are more comfortable....you could do the same for the run...it's up to you depending on your comfort level...I would recommend either pre-pinning your race number to your top or shorts though....Phil

I think I'll pass on the T-shirt and grab a pair of shorts...haha.....we'll see..but thanks! 
2010-01-27 10:08 PM

Dolores, CO
Take care of that little girl, I will be praying for her.

Jonathan
2010-01-27 11:30 PM
in reply to: #2637636

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Thanks William, she's doing better. I'm going to work tomorrow and will take her to my mom's. The Dr.'s gave gave the rest of the week off from school. It's amazing, I haven't worked out since Monday and I feel guilty. Almost like chewin' at the bit. I'm going to run at lunch and cycle after work. Thanks for your kind words.
2010-01-27 11:35 PM
in reply to: #2638149

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Thanks Ryan, I'm glad your son was OK. She's excused from school the rest of the week but I'm returning to work tomorrow. Haven't trained since Monday's swim and I'm ready to "Get Some." Thanks for thinking of her.

Edited by Masi 68 2010-01-27 11:36 PM
2010-01-27 11:43 PM
in reply to: #2639024

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Jonathan, thanks man. Thanks for your prayers and kind words. Thanks for thinking of my little girl. She's doing well and gets her staples out in 10 days, well 8 days now. I noticed you like photography. That's what I do for a living, I'm a photojournalist. That pic I'm using now was from a H.S. football game. I thought for sure I was going to get hammered. I shot several frames and the one you see was the last. It was an awesome catch. Take care.

Edited by Masi 68 2010-01-27 11:48 PM

2010-01-28 12:03 AM
in reply to: #2635941

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Thanks Phil, I'm going to take your advice on the Scotch tape and the Gu's. That's a great idea. My Tri top has no pockets. The bike leg on my sprint is only 12 miles but that will be a good time to hydrate and fuel up, on the bike. The run always kicks my, you know what. So maybe I can slam a few Hammer gels on the ride. Thanks for sharing.
2010-01-28 6:31 AM
in reply to: #2639085

Extreme Veteran
Masi 68 - 2010-01-28 12:30 AM Thanks William, she's doing better. I'm going to work tomorrow and will take her to my mom's. The Dr.'s gave gave the rest of the week off from school. It's amazing, I haven't worked out since Monday and I feel guilty. Almost like chewin' at the bit. I'm going to run at lunch and cycle after work. Thanks for your kind words.

I'm glad she's doing OK. 
2010-01-28 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2637112

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Masi 68 - 2010-01-27 10:31 AM Thanks Phil (pastoops), that was perfect, just what I was looking for. Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Anytime and thoughts and prayers for your little one to recover quickly!
2010-01-28 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2639102

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Masi 68 - 2010-01-28 1:03 AM Thanks Phil, I'm going to take your advice on the Scotch tape and the Gu's. That's a great idea. My Tri top has no pockets. The bike leg on my sprint is only 12 miles but that will be a good time to hydrate and fuel up, on the bike. The run always kicks my, you know what. So maybe I can slam a few Hammer gels on the ride. Thanks for sharing.

Scott...be careful with both overhydrating and fueling too much...the rule of thumb on the hammer gels is really just one for every 45 minutes of exertion...for a sprint distance here's what I would do..

1 Hammer Gel (or gel of your choice) 10-15 minutes before the race starts.

Swim in a sprint should probably be no more than 10 - 20 minutes depending on distance and your pace. (most sprints are between 400 to 900m swims...)

Bike leg, depending on distance I would take 1 Hammer gel 10 minutes before you get off the bike, so you'll have to estimate at what mile that is...if your sprint is an 18 mile bike, I would shoot for one at about the 16 mile mark..this will help it move into your system.

None on the run.

don't take a bunch of them thinking that it's going to help...your body has enough reserves to get you through..in fact you might be able to get away with just the one before the swim...but if you need energy and a boost you can toss one in on the bike without too many negative impacts to your digestion...

Oh, and always chase them down with a liquid...

hope that helps.

Phil
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010! Rss Feed  

of 35