BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-03-06 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2711460

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!

geoffgm - 2010-03-06 9:10 AM Welcome to the group Ryan. Hope the run goes great!

I have a running question:  I just got back outside after 3 months or so on the treadmill.  After my short run the other day I noticed my calves were sore.  I had a 24 minute run yesterday and my calves are really sore today.  I'm not a strong runner and I had just finished the 5K plan prior to winter and switching to the treadmill.

Does anyone else notice that their calves are sore when they start back outside? Any ideas on what I may be doing different?

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Geoff,
It may just be acclimating to being outside.  Although similar, there is enough of  a difference to create aches if ot has been a while.  Stretching, ice will help.  Ramp up slowly and you will be fine. 

2010-03-06 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2578675

User image

New user
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
Welcome to the new folks and glad to hear that everyone is working hard.  Keep it up!

2010-03-06 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2711466

User image

Welllington, NZ
kenj - 2010-03-07 3:16 AM

geoffgm - 2010-03-06 9:10 AM Welcome to the group Ryan. Hope the run goes great!

I have a running question:  I just got back outside after 3 months or so on the treadmill.  After my short run the other day I noticed my calves were sore.  I had a 24 minute run yesterday and my calves are really sore today.  I'm not a strong runner and I had just finished the 5K plan prior to winter and switching to the treadmill.

Does anyone else notice that their calves are sore when they start back outside? Any ideas on what I may be doing different?

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Geoff,
It may just be acclimating to being outside.  Although similar, there is enough of  a difference to create aches if ot has been a while.  Stretching, ice will help.  Ramp up slowly and you will be fine. 

Good point re stretching out - i've not been including stretching much recently (apart from my morning easy-yoga routine) - i can tell though when i upping the effort and time spent training when i start to get tight. I use a number of gimmicks (if you want to call them that) to help stretch - a swiss ball, a foam roller and "The Stick (20" marathon)". I rate each as near essential for my stretches but by far the most used is "The Stick" - the small one is portable and easy and quick to use and doesn't require any space to use. Alternatively when in a bind i've got good results with a tennis ball! ;-)

Lewis
2010-03-06 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2711404

User image

Welllington, NZ
kenj - 2010-03-07 1:35 AM

The wetsuit is a wonderful thing!   From what I am told the salt water amplifies the buoyancy even more!  Good for you for getting it done!  My A race is IMFL, which will be my first tri in saltwater!

Lewis brings up a good point, and one that those of us in North America can't deal with right now.  But swimming in a wetsuit in open water is significantly different than swimming in a pool.  Swimming is swimming, but the dynamics of the wetsuit, any current, water temp, and chop provide distractions that if you haven't practiced in open water can be disastrous.  Very important to find a place to get at least a couple of open water swims in prior to your races, more if possible.

I'm blessed to live a couple of miles from lake access with a mile + buoy line that has triathletes training on every morning from May till September.  The last couple of years I have had very few pool swims in the summer. 

Absolutely - one of the other things i found amazing was with my head down and heading off towards my target after just 20 strokes or so, looking up, i discovered i was way off target! It certainly does remind you to keep looking up.

Hoping to get open water swims in every weekend now until the event at the end of March and then after then will see...

Lewis.
2010-03-06 5:14 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
Just got back a little bit ago from the Shamrock Run 8k. Was shooting for 40 min or so.

Ran it in 36:05 (7:10 approx pace).  Had a great race, wanted to come in under 36 when I realized how fast I was going, but just missed.

I'll post more later, out to eat with the wife! Thanks everyone for the support. 
2010-03-06 7:01 PM
in reply to: #2711953

User image

Welllington, NZ
Nice going Ryan!

Lewis.

2010-03-06 7:52 PM

User image

Yay for Ryan - way to exceed your goal time! And only your second race?! There's folks like me who struggle to cross the finish line and then there's folks like you who make it all seem so easy. Hope your celebration dinner with your wife was enjoyable.

Geoff - I had to laugh at your question of pain in your calves after the outside run. That happened to me, too, after last Monday's run and I was glad to see someone else experience it. (sorry...... not that I was glad you experienced pain, but glad you SHARED about experiencing pain). I'm chalking it up to just getting outside again so I"m adding some extra stretching and that seems to be doing the trick.

Ken - you'd asked about monthly goals and I've never had one so I'm going to have to give some thought to it. I read what others wrote about their goals and it seems like a good idea to have one. At my age, my daily goal is just to wake up. I liked what Lewis said about shrugging off the times that life pops up and you're not able to get to your training time. That happened 2 times this week for me. Scott, on the other hand is like a machine and I'm envious of his success of not missing a session.

To the other women out there - Chrisanthia and Heather - keep at it. I'm glad you got outside, too, Chrisanthia, as fresh air flowing through the brain does wonders. Heather - I'm so impressed with your weight loss of 12 lbs. Yay for you!! Keep at it!

Happy training everyone!

2010-03-07 6:31 AM
in reply to: #2711953

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ryanknapp - 2010-03-06 6:14 PM Just got back a little bit ago from the Shamrock Run 8k. Was shooting for 40 min or so.

Ran it in 36:05 (7:10 approx pace).  Had a great race, wanted to come in under 36 when I realized how fast I was going, but just missed.

I'll post more later, out to eat with the wife! Thanks everyone for the support. 

Awesome time!!!  Great job beating your goals!!!

2010-03-07 6:33 AM
in reply to: #2712099

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

bswcpa - 2010-03-06 8:52 PM Yay for Ryan - way to exceed your goal time! And only your second race?! There's folks like me who struggle to cross the finish line and then there's folks like you who make it all seem so easy. Hope your celebration dinner with your wife was enjoyable. Geoff - I had to laugh at your question of pain in your calves after the outside run. That happened to me, too, after last Monday's run and I was glad to see someone else experience it. (sorry...... not that I was glad you experienced pain, but glad you SHARED about experiencing pain). I'm chalking it up to just getting outside again so I"m adding some extra stretching and that seems to be doing the trick. Ken - you'd asked about monthly goals and I've never had one so I'm going to have to give some thought to it. I read what others wrote about their goals and it seems like a good idea to have one. At my age, my daily goal is just to wake up. I liked what Lewis said about shrugging off the times that life pops up and you're not able to get to your training time. That happened 2 times this week for me. Scott, on the other hand is like a machine and I'm envious of his success of not missing a session. To the other women out there - Chrisanthia and Heather - keep at it. I'm glad you got outside, too, Chrisanthia, as fresh air flowing through the brain does wonders. Heather - I'm so impressed with your weight loss of 12 lbs. Yay for you!! Keep at it! Happy training everyone!

Nice post Brenda!

Keep the goals challenging to reach, but doable.  In other words don't over do it! 

Keep up the great work!

2010-03-08 11:11 AM

Hey Ryan welcome to the group.
Isn't it great to see the sun! I've been training outside since Thursday, the knees are a little sore from the occational icy patch, but great to be in the fresh air. I started a kind of back to basics swim training last week to work on breathing on both sides, Its been a great way to keep my mind off of how many laps I'm swimming, I'm so concentrated on 3 strokes....take a breath...how's my form..are my elbows high..is my stroke long and smooth. Looking forward to pulling the road bike out soon. I just can't seem to find the time/desire to get to the gym and cycle indoors.

I'm inspired by all of you in this group and the experience you have to offer and have learned I have a long way to go. Most of what you all talk about is far far advanced from where I am with my training, most days I'm just happy to still be breathing and able to walk after a session. 

My goal for March is to log my training and nutrition...something I've been neglecting.

Smiling on the sunny streets working off all those years of tasty treats! 

Have a grart week everyone!Cool 

2010-03-09 3:52 AM
in reply to: #2714080

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

go4girl - 2010-03-08 12:11 PM

Isn't it great to see the sun! I've been training outside since Thursday, the knees are a little sore from the occational icy patch, but great to be in the fresh air. I started a kind of back to basics swim training last week to work on breathing on both sides, Its been a great way to keep my mind off of how many laps I'm swimming, I'm so concentrated on 3 strokes....take a breath...how's my form..are my elbows high..is my stroke long and smooth. Looking forward to pulling the road bike out soon. I just can't seem to find the time/desire to get to the gym and cycle indoors.

I'm inspired by all of you in this group and the experience you have to offer and have learned I have a long way to go. Most of what you all talk about is far far advanced from where I am with my training, most days I'm just happy to still be breathing and able to walk after a session. 

My goal for March is to log my training and nutrition...something I've been neglecting.

Great job on getting to the pool and outside for a run!

That is a great goal, and for those of us trying to drop a little weight, logging nutrition is a big help in keeping us accountable.

Just a curiosity question for those that don't log your workouts here; are you logging someplace else or just not logging at all?  One of the first attractions for me to BT was the logging feature.  But I know some, like Iceman, use a different program as they have to share with a coach so logging here is redundant. 

2010-03-09 7:21 AM
in reply to: #2715652

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
kenj - 2010-03-09 3:52 AM

go4girl - 2010-03-08 12:11 PM

Great job on getting to the pool and outside for a run!

That is a great goal, and for those of us trying to drop a little weight, logging nutrition is a big help in keeping us accountable.

Just a curiosity question for those that don't log your workouts here; are you logging someplace else or just not logging at all?  One of the first attractions for me to BT was the logging feature.  But I know some, like Iceman, use a different program as they have to share with a coach so logging here is redundant. 

For my coach, we log with Training Peaks. It has everything right there, plus it sends me email reminders and syncs with my google calendar, all great features for me.  We used to use traininglog, but our coach switched not too long ago. 
2010-03-09 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
You guys are fast on the run.  I re-joined a run club program called Ride the Wave for intermediate and advanced...I asked to go with a faster group and glad I did.  I ran my fastest 5K every in practice last night. 27:42.  That may not sound fast to you all, but to me is it blazing. 

The swim clinic was good.  She is not into TI because she thinks the concentration on the rotation is the wrong focus.  She wants people focused on reaching, staying long in the water, catching and pulling, and having a relaxed return with your shoulder out of the water.  And guess what, the rotation takes care of itself.  It may not be so pronounced, but it is more natural feeling, less of a struggle, less wasted energy trying to turn the mid section.  Also, I am keeping my head down now without thinking so much around it. It's funny how a change in concentration - what you focus on - can accomplish so much with less work.      

As was mentioned, she is a big proponent of sighting OFTEN.  Practice until you can do it without raising your head out of the water to save energy and do it every 5 to 10 strokes.  The less you are off course, the straighter you swim and the less distance you have to go.  Again, less wasted energy.  We also practiced swimming with our eyes closed toward a fixed goal to see how far we were pulling one way or the other.  Bilateral breathing was stressed too for straighter swimming among other reasons.

Bike tonight.  Rain expected. Trainer calling. I will be so glad when the weekly 12.5 mile Tuesday night Time Trials start. I love to race.

2010-03-09 8:40 AM
in reply to: #2715787

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

IceManScott - 2010-03-09 8:25 AM You guys are fast on the run.  I re-joined a run club program called Ride the Wave for intermediate and advanced...I asked to go with a faster group and glad I did.  I ran my fastest 5K every in practice last night. 27:42.  That may not sound fast to you all, but to me is it blazing. 

The swim clinic was good.  She is not into TI because she thinks the concentration on the rotation is the wrong focus.  She wants people focused on reaching, staying long in the water, catching and pulling, and having a relaxed return with your shoulder out of the water.  And guess what, the rotation takes care of itself.  It may not be so pronounced, but it is more natural feeling, less of a struggle, less wasted energy trying to turn the mid section.  Also, I am keeping my head down now without thinking so much around it. It's funny how a change in concentration - what you focus on - can accomplish so much with less work.      

As was mentioned, she is a big proponent of sighting OFTEN.  Practice until you can do it without raising your head out of the water to save energy and do it every 5 to 10 strokes.  The less you are off course, the straighter you swim and the less distance you have to go.  Again, less wasted energy.  We also practiced swimming with our eyes closed toward a fixed goal to see how far we were pulling one way or the other.  Bilateral breathing was stressed too for straighter swimming among other reasons.

Bike tonight.  Rain expected. Trainer calling. I will be so glad when the weekly 12.5 mile Tuesday night Time Trials start. I love to race.

Congrats on the PR Iceman!!!  That is awesome!

Good info from the swim program! I have heard that approach to the hip rotation as often as the TI method. I guess 2 ways to accomplish the same thing.  One experience swimmer suggested imagining reaching for a glass on the top shelf every stroke, the reach will make you long and the hip rotation just happens as you stretch the longest!

This morning during my swim, besides trying to work on the reaching etc. I focused on breathing normally, that is starting the exhale immediately after inhaling and time it so I was finished when it was time to inhale again, just like I would above water.  I was amazed at how relaxing this made my breathing and improved my rythm in the water.

2010-03-09 8:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Good images Ken.  Thanks.

I meant to mention earlier.  I also use Training Peaks to communicate with my coach.  There is a free version.  But I also use BT so I can keep everyone here updated. 

Edited by IceManScott 2010-03-09 8:45 AM
2010-03-09 3:55 PM

User image

Welllington, NZ
Yup, i'm still logging in both my old format (my own spreadsheet which has evolved over many years) and here on BT. I don't find it that onerous to log here aswell... just takes less than 5 mins per day...

Lewis.

2010-03-09 5:07 PM

User image

Thanks for asking about logs, Ken. I'm like Lewis and have my own manual log. But unlike Lewis, I tried posting it on here when I first found BT, but it was getting too cumbersome for me (I think I was logging too much detailed info). A nutritional log? hmmmm.....never had one......it would just say brownies, cookies, an apple, cookies.

Did the catch-up and fist drills for a long time in the water on Monday - very helpful. I'm keeping it very slow.

Goals for March - continue focusing on drills in the pool and making my mantra "slow is the new fast". I also have to continue pumping out tax returns so that come April 15th I'm totally free to really train in all three disciplines.

Enjoyed a near 60 degree day today in Indiana and got out for a run. Life is good. Hope you all had a good day, too.

2010-03-09 9:25 PM
in reply to: #2717306

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
bswcpa - 2010-03-09 5:07 PM Thanks for asking about logs, Ken. I'm like Lewis and have my own manual log. But unlike Lewis, I tried posting it on here when I first found BT, but it was getting too cumbersome for me (I think I was logging too much detailed info). A nutritional log? hmmmm.....never had one......it would just say brownies, cookies, an apple, cookies. Did the catch-up and fist drills for a long time in the water on Monday - very helpful. I'm keeping it very slow. Goals for March - continue focusing on drills in the pool and making my mantra "slow is the new fast". I also have to continue pumping out tax returns so that come April 15th I'm totally free to really train in all three disciplines. Enjoyed a near 60 degree day today in Indiana and got out for a run. Life is good. Hope you all had a good day, too.

Great ideas! and completely jealous of the 60 degree weather. It was 45 here in Buffalo, but I still went on the trainer to do a crazy spinning/sprinting workout.

Nice 9 mile run tomorrow. 51 and sunny. Oh I'm going to enjoy this! 
2010-03-10 4:38 AM
in reply to: #2717306

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

bswcpa - 2010-03-09 6:07 PM Thanks for asking about logs, Ken. I'm like Lewis and have my own manual log. But unlike Lewis, I tried posting it on here when I first found BT, but it was getting too cumbersome for me (I think I was logging too much detailed info). A nutritional log? hmmmm.....never had one......it would just say brownies, cookies, an apple, cookies. Did the catch-up and fist drills for a long time in the water on Monday - very helpful. I'm keeping it very slow. Goals for March - continue focusing on drills in the pool and making my mantra "slow is the new fast". I also have to continue pumping out tax returns so that come April 15th I'm totally free to really train in all three disciplines. Enjoyed a near 60 degree day today in Indiana and got out for a run. Life is good. Hope you all had a good day, too.

Thanks for the feed back on the logs, you may be logging too much or if it was a while ago, there have been some improvements.  I use a garmin for my runs, and a combination of the garmin and PT for bike which since auto down load was added, it is actually easier than on Garmins software.  I still use Cycling Peaks for the PT, but add that data here. 

2 reasons I asked, one was just curiosity, as the logs was one of the first features I used and what first attracted me to join, but I am self coached so it was totally on me.  The second reason is as a mentor, it just helps me keep track of what you are doing and offer encouragement. 

Or if your slacking a gentle nudge!

But, we all have time limitations, and don't change what you are doing if it works for you!

2010-03-10 4:40 AM
in reply to: #2717684

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ryanknapp - 2010-03-09 10:25 PM
bswcpa - 2010-03-09 5:07 PM Thanks for asking about logs, Ken. I'm like Lewis and have my own manual log. But unlike Lewis, I tried posting it on here when I first found BT, but it was getting too cumbersome for me (I think I was logging too much detailed info). A nutritional log? hmmmm.....never had one......it would just say brownies, cookies, an apple, cookies. Did the catch-up and fist drills for a long time in the water on Monday - very helpful. I'm keeping it very slow. Goals for March - continue focusing on drills in the pool and making my mantra "slow is the new fast". I also have to continue pumping out tax returns so that come April 15th I'm totally free to really train in all three disciplines. Enjoyed a near 60 degree day today in Indiana and got out for a run. Life is good. Hope you all had a good day, too.

Great ideas! and completely jealous of the 60 degree weather. It was 45 here in Buffalo, but I still went on the trainer to do a crazy spinning/sprinting workout.

Nice 9 mile run tomorrow. 51 and sunny. Oh I'm going to enjoy this! 

I'm hoping to grab an outside run after work!  I hope you enjoy the run!

As far as the trainer, until we get a couple good rains to clean the salt and other winter junk off the roads, I'll stick to the trainer!

2010-03-10 4:46 AM

User image

Woke up to rain this morning and forecast is for it to continue off and on the next 5 days, so it's heading your way, Ken. Maybe your outside ride can happen soon. I'll have to re-look at the BT log.

2010-03-10 7:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Light bike then run (probably 5 plus) with the club workout program, Ride the Wave.  Should be a great day!
2010-03-10 8:33 AM

hello all,
Swam this morning 1200 m and have to thank Ryan for the shark fin drill video....I've been doing it all wrong. I tried the fist drill too this morning, every stroke I felt more and more like Mighty Mouse.

Question for you...Does anyone suffer from headaches after swimming? I don't know if I'm not breathing enough, or maybe pushing to hard...any ideas?

2x50 warm up
4x50 shark fin
4x50 fist
2x100 long focus on 3breath
1x400 kick
100 cool down

Rest about 10s between...sometimes more

Thanks

2010-03-10 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2718149

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

go4girl - 2010-03-10 9:33 AM

hello all,
Swam this morning 1200 m and have to thank Ryan for the shark fin drill video....I've been doing it all wrong. I tried the fist drill too this morning, every stroke I felt more and more like Mighty Mouse.

Question for you...Does anyone suffer from headaches after swimming? I don't know if I'm not breathing enough, or maybe pushing to hard...any ideas?

2x50 warm up
4x50 shark fin
4x50 fist
2x100 long focus on 3breath
1x400 kick
100 cool down

Rest about 10s between...sometimes more

Thanks

Good job getting to the pool, and getting some quality drill work done!  I have never had an issue with head aches in the pool, but oxygen deprivation could lead to head aches I guess.  I would focus on exhaling smoothly and consistantly starting as soon as you put your head back in the water after taking a breath.  I would also shorten the strokes between breaths to see if either helps. 

2010-03-10 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2717861

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

bswcpa - 2010-03-10 5:46 AM Woke up to rain this morning and forecast is for it to continue off and on the next 5 days, so it's heading your way, Ken. Maybe your outside ride can happen soon. I'll have to re-look at the BT log.

I hear we are supposed to get the rain this weekend!  We have really had pretty good weather for March, I still have large piles of snow outside my window, but at least we have seen some regular sunshine! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  

of 29