BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-20 8:34 AM
in reply to: #3310417

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED
Mike - One of things I like doing for swimming are interval set.  My swim workout set up with a warm up, drill set, main set (ms) , & cool down.  It the main set that is my bread & butter.  The ms are time interval where you challenge yourself to complete a distance in a time frame and doing couple to swim to maintain that a faster than race pace swim.  A set I like to do is
4 x 50 @ 1 minute. 

When the set become easier, you can add one more 50  (5x 50) or lower interval time to :50 second.  I added a 50 every week till I was doing 10 x 50 @ a minute than I would drop down to 4 x 50 @ :50 sec and move myself up to 10 x50 @ :50 sec.  You can also do it a 100s or 200s distance.  As long as the time interval give a 5 - 10 sec rest, if you start getting 15 second rest or more, you may want to less you interval time. 

For biking currently I'm doing a weekly training workout at a fitness center.  Its call HIT high intensity training.  I posted the last two workout on my log.  We start the workout 60RPM (very slow or at less feel like it) for a minute than move up to 65rpm for a minute than up to 70.  We continue this up to 110 for a minute. We do two set with time a 30 seconds & 15 seconds, but we move the rpm higher up to 140.  We also do some single leg interval and than add riser to the front wheel to simulate hill riding.    Before joining this group I did a lot my ride in front of the tv and just bike.  Sometime on the commerical I would sprint/go hard fo the whole commerical, but most time just bike and have fun.

Hope this make sense. 
Sterling

2011-01-20 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Thanks Jacob, 
This was the first week I was able to really slow down my stroke a bit and get more of a feel for the water and my movement. Amazingly, I didn't sink.  It was better on Tuesday than today, but I am starting to feel more comfortable. The 50M swims are getting easier, but still a challenge. So somethings are starting to make sense and I can see that it is just going to take time and practice.

Chris,
I know what you mean by lifting your head instead of just turning it.  I do the same thing and it feels like it just stops me midstream.  I think for me it is a confidence thing that I just need to over come and once I convince my mind that I can get all the air I need by just turning and rotating, the lifting of the head will go away. 

2011-01-20 11:06 AM

Veteran
....but its that one gush of water that you take in that throws everything off. lol.
2011-01-20 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
bah .. a little water in lungs never hurt anyone. 
2011-01-20 6:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Nice advice Sterling.  Challenge I have is pushing myself -- told myself I'd be careful with the training to avoid getting hurt.  That's transformed in to "I don't like pain during exercise"!!!!!!
2011-01-20 10:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

So what do you do when it's single digits outside and the training program calls for a 15 minute run after your 45 minute ride?  Duh, you run in circles around your basement.  Think that with this evenings session I can now officially declare that I'm a triathlete as I've resorted to absurd training methods.

On a more serious note, second session of the time crunched program went well.  I've never pushed myself since I started last April.  The intervals mixed in work really well.  And running around the basement actually wasn't that bad.  Best news is that I felt great on the run / had no issues with the legs or the lungs.  Very confident that the program is going to make a huge impact on the bike and run.  On the swim, think I'm going to have to break down and get some lessons.

2011-01-20 10:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

OMG!!  That swimming coach is very nice, but he is a slave driver!!  I swam 900 m.  So much for my training plan!  LOL  I’m sure I’ll sleep well tonight.  Smile

Curt – You must have a big basement. Tongue out

2011-01-21 6:32 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Itzia -- keep at it! It may seem tough now, but it will all be worth it. In a couple months you'll look back and think "Hah! Now 900 yards is my warm up!"

Sterling -- thanks for the tips. I seem to be setting up the swim workouts like you are (WU, drills, core, cd), but its the content of each section that is confusing me. I think what I may do is start in on the HIM plan from BT (at least the swim part), and use those swim workouts as my guide for workout content. May do the same for the bike.

Did get my 5 mile run in this AM, but it was a treadmill, not outside as I hoped. The footing was just atrocious this AM, and all I could think was this is perfect injury conditions. SO, I went the safe, but stunningly boring route of doing the run on the 'mill. The one bright thing about this AM is that when I logged my workout, I realized this has been my biggest volume running week to date, and I'm pretty happy about it. Nearly 18 miles.

Hope everyone else is having a good Friday!
2011-01-21 7:22 AM

Veteran
Itzia- The posistive thing is that you have a coach and not wasting time like I was the last 2 months thrashing around and wearing myself out for 500 yds. I joined a masters program and in 2 weeks I am in the ppol for 1000yds. and not very tired. Its paying off. Keep it up.

Mike- Good job Mike. It has been single digits and below zero here with ice so I have had to resort to treadmill as well.

Couple thoughts here. Since I am not able to ride outside what are your thoughts on cutting my bike workout to one spin class a week and adding an extra swim workout? At least til spring. (Whenever that gets here.)Swim and run are my weakest.

Also, does 30 min. of hard full court basketball count as a short run day? I consider it a sprint interval workout. Can I justify it as such?

Have a great day.
2011-01-21 10:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar

Curt, good job on getting the work out done and doing whatever it takes! I have a big basement, but don’t think I can muster the motivation to run around it for very long.

I am thinking of doing the P90X Plyometrics workout on the days that I can’t safely Run/Bike.

Itzia, keep up the hard work!

Mike, Great job on the mileage and through some pretty good storms!!

Chris, I would definitely consider Basketball as an interval workout!

Another 8” of snow on top of the 1 ½ feet that we already have, biking is getting harder and harder to get done, I guess I better make time to go to the spin classes with my Tri club, I am going to die! About half of the people there are training for Ironman’s.

That which doesn’t kill us makes us stronger, I hope that I don’t die!

Have a Great weekend!

2011-01-22 6:54 AM
in reply to: #3310408

User image

Athens, GA
Ail

It seems that most are planning on doing longer distances than me

Maybe you're the only sane one here?

Your spin class sounds like total torture, but in a fun sorta way.

Or the lazy one. I guess for me I want to build slowly to the longer distances. I have never really like the long distance stuff, in any sport, but they say that endurance comes with age, along with a lot of things, so I am going to let the love of it come to me as well.  That and I want to be sure that I don't kill myself!  

2011-01-22 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Today's routine called for 900 yards in the pool - 100 warm up, 6 x 50 catch up, 6 x 75 at a slightly faster pace, and 50 cool down and then a 25 minute run at an "endurance pace".  It went really well.  What I'm finding is that the program is structured so that it stretches you but does not kill you.  Feel good afterwards and just a little bit tired.  Optimistic about the results as the "stress" that it's putting on me is something that I have not experienced previously.

Still owe you guys a more formal / detailed review of the book.

Next up is watching the Illini take on Ohio State on the hardwoods.  If Illinois "shows up" should be a great game and a possible upset.

Hope everyone else is enjoying the weekend.

Edited by croixfan 2011-01-22 10:50 AM
2011-01-22 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
Hey guys,
so, -11c this morning, -20c with the windchill... perfect day for a little 15k outside...
this was actually the first time my water bottles frooze during the run... but I did it

That's this kind of run that you will remember when you will cross the finish line

Miami, here I come !!!

tomorrow, cycling for 75 min. 

I hope everybody got a warm week end

Edited by playmobil31 2011-01-22 12:17 PM
2011-01-22 1:05 PM

Veteran

I was going to say something about it being frigid, but the wife might not approve.

2011-01-22 3:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
you're committed -- or to be committed -- running in those temps!
2011-01-22 5:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Ail, I'm sticking with "your the only sane one" enjoy it and do what you're comforatable with, doing a sprint can never be considered lazy!

Alex, Great job on the run this morning! I just bought some YakTrax, no excuse for not running in any weather now!

Just signed up for the Patriot Half Ironman in June, I have no option except doing the work to finish the race!

2011-01-22 6:23 PM
in reply to: #3315206

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
playmobil31 - 2011-01-22 12:16 PM Hey guys,
so, -11c this morning, -20c with the windchill... perfect day for a little 15k outside...
this was actually the first time my water bottles frooze during the run... but I did it

That's this kind of run that you will remember when you will cross the finish line

Miami, here I come !!!

tomorrow, cycling for 75 min. 

I hope everybody got a warm week end

Excellent! Nothing like a brisk cool breeze to get you moving. I do find the frozen water bottles funny Tomorrow AM is my weekly long run (9 miles tomorrow) and it will likely be single digits when I head out. Brrrr! Tuesday AM temp is expected to be -10F here, so my next 'short' run will be as cold as can be.

Dan - congrats on the sign up. Now be sure to tell everyone as well, so there will be no turning back!
2011-01-22 6:57 PM

Hey there! Thank you all for your comments. I'm back. I had a rough week at work , yet managed to sneak out to the gym and run on a treadmill three times this week (4 mi./30 min). I'm not used to running on a treadmill though. I kind of liked it, although I find it to be easier than running outside.  I definitely prefer to run outside although these low temperatures do not allow it ( 17F today)

I'll start my swimming and in-door bike training this coming week (Thanks Itzia for the pointers)

You are all an inspiration to me.

Would you know what are the usual distances for a Sprint Triathlon?

Thanks in advance. Let's keep it up!

Dan N
2011-01-22 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3315632

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Dan, Hope you are done with the rough work weeks! from what i have seen, most Sprint distances are, Swim - 1/4 to 1/3mile, Bike 14 - 17 miles and Run - 5k. I am not sure what the official distances are, but the races that I have seen are usually with in these distances!

Welcome back! where are you located? I know the feeling about the cold temps. I am in Maine and we are expecting some very cold temps this week. I will be doning the cold weather clothes and trying to make it happen anyway?

Dan
2011-01-22 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3315701

Excellent! Thanks a lot Dan. I'm in Leesburg, VA in the outskirts of Washington, DC.

Most of the snow has bypassed us (it's all gone in your direction, sorry about that  ) yet the cold temps and wind chill are still there.

I'll try to run outside tomorrow. I bought gear to deal with the low temps but I didnt want to risk slipping on black ice.

Anyways. I enrolled a couple of weeks ago to a local gym with an Olympic-size swimming pool. I'll be testing the waters next week. Wish me luck. I aint a swimmer (never have been, although I have a few good memories from my teen years when I truly tried), but I'm really committed to running my first Sprint triathlon this year.

Thanks for your kind words. I'll keep you all posted

BEst regards

Dan N
2011-01-22 10:43 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Wow, you guys are awesome running in those temps. Talk about HTFU. I did an easy 5 mile run today with Jamie. Looking to do a bike ride with my cycling friends tomorrow. Not sure how many miles.

Ended up not doing a 5K in Jan. The race I wanted to do was today which was not a good day/time for me (my husband and kids got home from Peru Friday-and I didn't want to spend the morning away from  them) also, the race course had changed from last year and was on the other side of town. All around inconvenient, so I decided to do another 5K Feb 19th right in my neighborhood.

Also, I may do a century (100 mile bike ride) the weekend of Valentines Day. Haven't decided yet, figure I can wait until the last minute to decide   

2011-01-23 7:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Jackie - Question about doing a century.  If the temp range is going to be wide, how do you go about storing your jacket for the rest of the ride / once you take it off?  I've got a small wedge back I use on my bike to carry my cell and some small stuff, but have always been curious about what folks do on 5+ hour rides.
2011-01-23 8:20 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Gooooood morning everyone! Not only did I make it out in the single digit temps this AM for a run, but I did over 10 miles (10.1 actually)!! First time ever doing 10+ miles, and the longest run I've ever done. I feel great (a bit tired, too . I'm so excited about it, I even posted my own thread in TT. . Funniest part of the run was the ice forming on my eyelashes
2011-01-23 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3316086

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Great job, Mike! But no picture of the icey eye lashes? That's a awesome image.
I will have to get my run in tonight, Swimming in a couple of hours with the masters group.
Jackie, good luck with the Century, I have friends that have done several, so this year may be my year also?

Dan N., good luck on running in the cold, it's actually enjoyable when you get your clothing correct. Don't worry about sending the snow our way, I love it! If it's going to be cold I would rather have snow on the ground.
2011-01-23 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Congrats on the 10 miles. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38