BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stickyrunner01's Group - The bus is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-02-16 6:03 AM
in reply to: #3357304

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Stickyrunner01's Group - The bus is FULL!
Blinddave - 2011-02-16 6:21 AM Went for a long run today my first run over hour, found the last half hour really tuff but did it  9.33 miles in 1.29.06   

what is everyone else upto today?

Nice Job!!

I rode this morning and tonight I'm getting a MASSAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

2011-02-16 6:06 AM
in reply to: #3357054

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
DirkP - 2011-02-15 9:39 PM  

I taught her how to do it for herself.    It wasn't fun because I didn't do anything but because we laughed about it some and messed around a little.  She had never done it before and I needed to know she would be able to take of it the next time if I am not around.

I did the same thing last summer with my daughter!  We laughed A LOT and I made sure to take pictures so I could post them on facebook and tag her in them.  Wink 
2011-02-16 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3256240

User image

Master
2 Hour ride Sunday, 55 min ride Monday, 29 minute run yesterday, this morning was my rock climbing class and I think that'll be it for any physical activity for me today.  Got 2 tests tomorrow and a presentation to prepare for so that will be the main focus tonight after i get out of class/work/meetings.
2011-02-16 2:33 PM

User image

Expert
Boston
I did some wieghtlifting and an elliptical/stiarmaster combo today.  Yesterday I ran and tomorrow I run. 
2011-02-16 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3358524

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Sounds like everyone is already beating themselves up in preparation for a hard weekend of training.  That's my plan too. 

Adam, congrats on that long run.  Seems like a pretty nice pace and a good effort.

Emma, those are a couple of strong efforts on the bike too and a run to back them up to boot.  I am hoping to start to get out on the road soon and get the rides going farther as soon as the weather allows.

Seren,  I haven't even seen a stair climber for years.  But then again I haven't been to a gym for years either.

I got my 5 mile run in tonight but not without incident.  I was just over the 2 mile mark and a dog ran from a field and bit my right calf.  I have 3 puncture wounds but only one is much of anything to speak of and it won't stop bleeding.  It's not bleeding badly just kind of a very light trickle, just enough to not be able to go without a band-aid because there would be blood spots all over the furniture.  The biggest wound might require 1-2 stitches according to my wife (I say 1 at the most) but I will not be going through all of that for 1 stitch in my leg.

I spoke to the dogs owner and told her I don't want to see her dog hurt or anything but if the dog comes after me again I will not care what happens to it.  I didn't tell her but I can say for sure that if it comes again I will beat it to death with a stick or whatever I can find.  The lady was very apologetic and I believe genuinely sorry it happened (not just because she was the owner) and told me she would be getting rid of the dog.  I told her to just make sure it can't get out of the yard again and that would be fine with me.  I even made suggestions to her to make sure that can happen but she assured me she won't be taking chances.  The dog came from about 100 yards away to bite me so the owner can do something to ensure this isn't going to happen anymore.

Enough of my drama.

2011-02-16 10:52 PM

User image

Master
Dirk, that is scary!  Glad you're not badly hurt.  I hope the dog's owner makes sure this kind of thing never happens again.

2011-02-16 11:08 PM

User image

Indianapolis
Great job everyone. Sounds like you all are working hard on maintaining your fitness and juggling life's joys... at least better than I! 

I've run with the Avon HS track team twice this week for their maintenance days and have gotten some nice runs out of it. (both 6 milers). I just got home from a 1 hour class, 4 hour library study session, 3 hour practice (including the drive to/from), and another 6 hour session at the library. I have 2 exams tomorrow, 1 take home due tomorrow, and 1 due Friday. It seems all my professors are on the same schedule this semester. Argh.  
2011-02-17 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3359256

User image

Master
Stickyrunner01 - 2011-02-17 12:08 AM Great job everyone. Sounds like you all are working hard on maintaining your fitness and juggling life's joys... at least better than I! 

I've run with the Avon HS track team twice this week for their maintenance days and have gotten some nice runs out of it. (both 6 milers). I just got home from a 1 hour class, 4 hour library study session, 3 hour practice (including the drive to/from), and another 6 hour session at the library. I have 2 exams tomorrow, 1 take home due tomorrow, and 1 due Friday. It seems all my professors are on the same schedule this semester. Argh.  

I know exactly how you feel!  I have 3 classes today, 2 tests and a presentation.  That's on top of the test and presentation I've already had this week. 
2011-02-17 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3359572

User image

Indianapolis
Emmanem - 2011-02-17 9:47 AM 
I know exactly how you feel!  I have 3 classes today, 2 tests and a presentation.  That's on top of the test and presentation I've already had this week. 

Good Luck! 
2011-02-17 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3359103

User image

Regular
Whoa Dirk!!! Sounds like you handled it better then I would. I am a dog owner so I don't cut much slack to other dog owners for irresponsibility.  The small town I live it does not have a dog catcher so every dark run in the mornings I tend to encounter a couple dogs here and there. I am not gentle to them, I growl and tell them to "GO HOME" while giving them "i'll kill you" looks....seems to work. and if a  dog continued past that, I would do whatever necessary to protect myself with no regards to the dog's safety. ....Hope you heal well

I am envious of the long runs.....my running schedule has not gone well this last month (like I had planned) of course the weather did not help. But I am starting to build my base up again. By this time next month I plan on hitting my FIRST ever double digits!!! I have two 5 ks next month so now I am just focusing on some hill training and sprints.

In the pool I have started working on my flip turns again and really trying to learn how to sprint (without dying)
2011-02-17 1:19 PM

User image

Regular
Everywhere
Argh no bike for another week due to stupid LBS!!  did 3x460m swims today all under 10 mins looks like my swimming has sort of "clicked"  tho at a later date i still might get lessons

2011-02-18 3:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
That was a pretty disappointing 10hours and I was asleep for 7 of them!
Last night I got to the pool to be told that it was full so rather than wait the predicted 15-20 minutes, with no guarantees of getting in, I decided to go back home and this morning's planned long run lasted 7mins before a pain in my knee brought that to a halt!

Hopefully a couple of days off of running will rest me up enough to start up again next week with no problems.

Dirk, how's the leg? Hope it's healing well.
2011-02-18 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3361139

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I had to work late last night to clean up a job we have been doing all week.  I got off about 7:30 and was starving, decided a 45-60 minute ride with no food might be ugly so I decided to ditch last night.  I have my long run scheduled for today and I think I will add a 45-60 minute ride after that sometime today as well.  But the run comes first.

As far as the dog bite goes I found out 2 things yesterday: 1. It is state law that a dog bite must be reported.  I had already spoken to law enforcement about what could happen to the dog and they have my phone number, so there is no way to keep from reporting it.  2. I found out the dog is not up to date on it's shots.  This one makes me care a lot less about the first point.  And, in reality, makes me figure the owners are irresponsible people and shouldn't have the dog anyway.  So basically I am back to not caring what happens to the dog anymore.  As I stated after I got bit, I will beat the animal to death the next time but I honestly think there will not be a next time with this animal.

I am going to the doc today for a tetanus shot and probably some precautionary antibiotics.  The worst puncture wound has finally stopped seeping blood.  Obviously I hope there are no complications to this incident for a couple of reasons.  I don't want an infection to complicate things (DUH!).  And I hope I don't have to speak to the owners again.  I am quite unhappy that they were so irresponsible as to not keep dogs, that are allowed to roam, up to date on their shots.  These dogs are kept outside, as opposed to regular family pets, and who knows what they get into.

Okay, I am getting irritated again time to move on.  BTW, I will be getting something to carry on my runs as a defense against dogs.......pepper spray, mace, club, small caliber hand gun (I already have one of these), riot shotgun, etc.
2011-02-18 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3361276

User image

Regular
Blind dave- I have no good excuses for lagging in the bike training. What is LBS btw?

Sicone- ARghhhh so frustrating to have to wait for a lane. I drive 20 mi to my pool and fortunately it is small enough that I am a well known "regular" (and one of the only as well) so they have added an extra lane for me before, makes the aqua zumba gals a little crowded but all is fair in love and war (I LOVE to swim hehe)  About the knee pains, are those new or pre existing?

Dirk- sorry to get you all riled up about the dog bite again, xnay on the ogday itebay Cool well my piglatin might be a little rusty!

What is everyone's plan for the weekend? I have a group run planned tomorrow, on the really hilly course I love to hate! and a short bike and that is it! Sunday is recovery for me. (active recover, yoga!)

My coach has me doing sprints in the pool and it is killing me!! But I love it.  the flip turns are finally coming together, half the time I come off the wall to low or too high or I flip too close or too far away, but one in three is half way decent one of these days........

HAPPY FRIDAY ALL!
2011-02-18 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3361394

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK

dreaming80 - 2011-02-18 2:45 PM Blind dave- I have no good excuses for lagging in the bike training. What is LBS btw?
Local Bike Shop
Sicone- ARghhhh so frustrating to have to wait for a lane. I drive 20 mi to my pool and fortunately it is small enough that I am a well known "regular" (and one of the only as well) so they have added an extra lane for me before, makes the aqua zumba gals a little crowded but all is fair in love and war (I LOVE to swim hehe)  About the knee pains, are those new or pre existing?
With regards to the local pool, they divide the pool into 3 sections, half of the pool for general swimmers and the other half divided into 2 lanes (1 slow, 1 fast). I think the quietest I have ever seen the pool was when I only had to share the lane with 4 other people!

As for the knee, it's a new pain which I'm 90% sure is due to having pushed a little too hard on Monday and not enough rest since then. Next planned run isn't until Sunday so that should be enough time to let it rest up

What is everyone's plan for the weekend? I have a group run planned tomorrow, on the really hilly course I love to hate! and a short bike and that is it! Sunday is recovery for me. (active recover, yoga!)

My coach has me doing sprints in the pool and it is killing me!! But I love it.  the flip turns are finally coming together, half the time I come off the wall to low or too high or I flip too close or too far away, but one in three is half way decent one of these days........

HAPPY FRIDAY ALL!

Saturday - rest!
Sunday - a.m. Run (approx 4miles, but will take it easy) and a swim in the afternoon

2011-02-18 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3361394

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
dreaming80 - 2011-02-18 9:45 AM  

What is everyone's plan for the weekend?

HAPPY FRIDAY ALL!

All I have left for the week is a run and since I biked this morning, I'm going to put the run off until tomorrow so my legs will be rested.  I've been babying a sore right knee and it's finally feeling better, so I don't want to put too much stress on it yet.  Next week is a recovery week :-)

I had surgery last November, 23rd for Exertional Compartment Syndrome (both legs) and my incisions are not healing properly.  I feel fine and it hasn't been interfering with my training, so I've been doing a good job of ignoring it Smile, but today I had an appointment with the surgeon and he is referring me to a wound healing center.  It's in the same town that I live in=good thing.  Hopefully they can speed the process=good thing.  Maybe people will stop saying, "oh my god, what happened to you?!?"=good thing

Dirk:  Sorry to hear about your unfortunate encounter with the dog.  I vote you run with a crossbow strapped to your back.  Now THAT would look cool!  LOL

2011-02-19 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
Dirk: sorry to hear about the dog bite but I agree with Jayne - thumbs up on a crossbow!

Jayne:  vit c and zinc do help aid in wound healing as well as getting in enough protein.  These are easy fixes if there is something underlying going on then all the vit c in the wourld wont help.   Good luck!

Today is the last day of my recovery week.  I feel WELL rested and ready to start hitting again!  Tomorrow is my long bike and if the winds abate it will be outside if not I just bought a killer trainer workout DVD - 2.5 hours of climbing techniques.  Whiteface Mountain here I come!
2011-02-19 11:44 AM

User image

Indianapolis
Happy Saturday everyone! 

My training for today was a long run with Avon's HS track team. I ran 8 miles (of their 10) with them.  
2011-02-20 12:57 PM

User image

Regular
Everywhere
Friday and Saturday were rest days back at work 02.45 Sunday morning,  manage to sneak in a small run on my break at work.

as for swimming my pool is on a trailer park or Holiday caravans as we call em   its only open 9-3 atm so i wont get a swim till Thursday. also hopefully get my bike wheel Thurs as well
2011-02-22 12:36 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Had my appointment yesterday at the wound treatment center.  They cleaned out the wounds and then dressed them with a collagan-based packing that I have to change every day.  Still now sure why the wounds stopped healing on their own, he said sometimes the body just thinks the job is finished and quits.  Using ultrasound, the dr. checked for the pulse in both the ankle and the top of the foot.  Strong pulse at the ankle, but he couldn't even find the pulse on the top of either foot.  He scheduled another 2-hr test to check the blood flow to my feet for this coming Friday.  He said I might just be an anomaly. LOL,  go figure!  Also had some blood work done to check everything else.  I've been ordered to stay out of the pool until further notice; could be a month or two.  This whole process just sucks because I feel fine.  I'm not in any pain and I DON'T DEAL WILL WITH LIMITATIONS!  Good news: I can still bike and run.
2011-02-22 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3367191

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
There's nothing worse than being told you aren't allowed to do something when you feel fine! Of course, it's probably best to follow their advice so it doesn't end up being much more time away from the pool!

And for my good news: I have finally been told I can get my bike repaired after my accident 5 months ago! Although the claim is still being processed, the insurance people have comfirmed that they will be covering the repair costs so I can have it fixed and get refunded later.

Will be interesting to see how much my cycling has declined in 5 months and with only 2 months to the first race of the year, how much I can rebuild it!

2011-02-22 5:24 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Jayne,  I hope the recovery is much faster than a couple of months.  I also know how you feel being restricted.  Right now my shoulder is feeling pretty decent and I want to swim in the worst way but I am going to hold off until next week.  Even then I will get back into it slowly.  The swim can come back rather quickly if you try to stay up on the cardio work you will get from the run and bike.  If you can, with doc's clearance only, maybe you could do some shoulder exercises to keep your arms, back and shoulders in some kind of swim shape.  If you can do those I might have a few suggestions to keep the muscles up on their memory.  Let me know.

Stavros, 2 months doesn't seem like a long time to get ready for after a 5 month layoff.  Do you plan to PR the race or just finish it as strong as possible?

2011-02-22 8:10 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Ahh!  I am loving tonight!!!!  I am watching college wrestling with my daughter.  This makes me very happy!!!! 

#3 Iowa vs. #6 Minnesota. Two powerhouse wrestling teams.  Yeah I know, I am probably the only one who cares about this but really this post is about sharing another interest with my daughter.

2011-02-23 3:42 AM
in reply to: #3367679

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
DirkP - 2011-02-22 11:24 PM
Stavros, 2 months doesn't seem like a long time to get ready for after a 5 month layoff.  Do you plan to PR the race or just finish it as strong as possible?

This race last year was the first race I had done. At the time, breaststroke was by far my fastest stroke (2:15/100m compared to about 3:00 for FC). This year I was planning to swim front crawl as it is now down to about 2:20-2:15/100m, so as much as I'd like to PR the race I'll be happy with knowing I performed as well as I could given the time off.
2011-02-23 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3367679

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
DirkP - 2011-02-22 6:24 PM Jayne,  I hope the recovery is much faster than a couple of months.  I also know how you feel being restricted.  Right now my shoulder is feeling pretty decent and I want to swim in the worst way but I am going to hold off until next week.  Even then I will get back into it slowly.  The swim can come back rather quickly if you try to stay up on the cardio work you will get from the run and bike.  If you can, with doc's clearance only, maybe you could do some shoulder exercises to keep your arms, back and shoulders in some kind of swim shape.  If you can do those I might have a few suggestions to keep the muscles up on their memory.  Let me know.

Dirk,  I can run and bike to my  heart's content, so keeping up on the cardio shouldn't be a problem.  I feel fine and can also do as much lifting as I want, so I would be interested in the exercises you had in mind for me while I can't swim.  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stickyrunner01's Group - The bus is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 22