BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Curious - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2011-02-07 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3256872

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri Curious - closed

I have been MIA on the site for a few days but will catch up later today.  For those non football fans who weren't watching football this weekend....

YAAAAAPACKERS!!!!!
SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!

Have a great day!!!

Edited by Threejs 2011-02-07 10:04 AM

2011-02-07 11:06 AM

Regular
Congrats to the packer fans. We aren't football watchers, but our 9 year old wanted to watch last night and I wasn't bored stiff, which is a change.

Ran today - 35 minutes, 2.1 miles. Did walking with 2 intervals of 2 minute runs. My foot hurt on the treadmill today, which is unusual. However, I was also painting the bathroom this weekend, so stood barefoot on the ladder, the tub, the tile, the sink, etc. and I'm sure that aggravated it.

Run itself felt good. I didn't mean to do the second interval, but a good song came on at the end of the walk and I just felt like it. I really miss running.
2011-02-07 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3340910

Veteran
shake-n-bake - 2011-02-05 4:02 PM Wowser just completed a forty mile bike ride ....weather conditions 40 degrees with 15-25 mph winds.. was able to maintain a 18 average... Looking forward to a run tomorrow it's suppose to warm up to sixty then rain again Monday..
Happy training...

Nice!
2011-02-07 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3342217

Veteran
D001 - 2011-02-06 6:49 PM
kkvane - 2011-02-06 9:13 PM I haven't gotten here to the boards the last few days, but I have been getting to my workouts. Up to 8 minute running intervals today. Last two or three running workouts, I've been getting short little stints of feeling more "in the groove," more graceful, and not quite so clunky. Actually feels good. Then it goes away again. I'm hoping that as I go along, I'll get more of those times.Went swimming yesterday. My daughter (my swim coach ) was in town, so she gave me some tips and lots of things to work on. I'm going to plan on switching strokes during my swim portion so that I can give some muscles/directions a break. I still have a few months to work on it, so that may change.Overall, it's going well. I hope everyone has had a great weekend!!
Great progress on your running! 8 min intervals is FANTASTIC! As for me --- I think I have the flu. (And yes, I had a flu shot.) Temp is over 102F, and I have all the 'flu' symptoms. I'm about to cough up a lung, too. Obviously, no workout for me today! It may not be the flu, but it sure feels icky, whatever it is.

Hope you feel better soon!
2011-02-07 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3341783

Veteran
bumbbles21 - 2011-02-06 1:34 PM So last night was fish taco Friday around here. I had the tortilla dough chillin in the fridge and had turned my attention to the cabbage. I adjusted the thickness on the mandoline slicer, picked up the cabbage and proceeded to slice off a good chunk of my right pinky finger. After 15 min of steady bleeding we went to the ER where they stopped the bleeding, wrapped me in gauze and sent me home.

Needless to say I am on the injured list for everything for a few days and for swimming for a while. I'm sooooo bummed. My plan for the next two months was a yoga, swim, run plan.

Morral of the story is watch your fingers - fish tacos can be dangerous. Frown

Oh my gosh! What a bummer! Not sure what a mandolin slicer is but is sure sounds painful!  On the bright side, maybe you can get out of doing any cleaning for a while?
2011-02-07 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3340910

New user
Fairbanks
shake-n-bake - 2011-02-05 6:02 PM Wowser just completed a forty mile bike ride ....weather conditions 40 degrees with 15-25 mph winds.. was able to maintain a 18 average... Looking forward to a run tomorrow it's suppose to warm up to sixty then rain again Monday..
Happy training...

I've been preoccupied and haven't  said hello yet. Congratulations on the ride. My family is looking forward to being onside on bikes but pavement will be hidden for a while this far north. 
Jeff 

2011-02-07 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3343320

User image

Seattle
D001 - 2011-02-06 6:48 PM Ow ow ow ow. Just reading that is making my fingers 'twitchy.' Hope it heals soon!

kkvane - 2011-02-06 5:49 PM Oh, no!!!! The deadly mandoline strikes again. This so sounds like something I would do. I'm so sorry.... Ugh. Hate that it's thrown a wrench into your workout plans as well, but I'm sure you'll find an alternate for now. Glad you got yourself put back together and are on the mend!

Threejs - 2011-02-07 11:15 AM

Oh my gosh! What a bummer! Not sure what a mandolin slicer is but is sure sounds painful!  On the bright side, maybe you can get out of doing any cleaning for a while?

Thanks for all your concern everyone - it really means a lot! I just got back from the doc who says that I'm out for 7-10 weeks as far as swimming goes :-( the skill has to be completely healed over, no open wounds in the pool. She did clear me for running or biking "later in the week" if it has stopped bleeding and feels better. I really hope so cause my new shoes just showed up in the mail and I'm itching to take them out for a spin.

What is everyone else up to? I can go out but I'd love to hear what you're doing!
2011-02-08 7:21 AM
in reply to: #3341783

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
bumbbles21 - 2011-02-06 4:34 PM So last night was fish taco Friday around here. I had the tortilla dough chillin in the fridge and had turned my attention to the cabbage. I adjusted the thickness on the mandoline slicer, picked up the cabbage and proceeded to slice off a good chunk of my right pinky finger. After 15 min of steady bleeding we went to the ER where they stopped the bleeding, wrapped me in gauze and sent me home.

Needless to say I am on the injured list for everything for a few days and for swimming for a while. I'm sooooo bummed. My plan for the next two months was a yoga, swim, run plan.

Morral of the story is watch your fingers - fish tacos can be dangerous. Frown

Sorry to hear that! You should be healed up before 2 months no? How long did the doctors say? You could do yoga moves that don't involve hands and you should still be able to run once the wound closes up. Heal soon!
2011-02-08 7:25 AM
in reply to: #3342061

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
shake-n-bake - 2011-02-06 8:19 PM Finally got to go for a run. Ended up running 5.30 miles today with a 9.30 average...felt good but still a ways to go.. As for the request of our mentor.. The hardest thing is getting the workouts in... pick a program so you have a guideline to go by but don't stress out if you miss a workout just stay on track.. Also don't try to make up the workouts missed as you will end up in a burnout.. Last year I used the 20 week Olympic program for beginners it was more of a time based program and it was very helpful to me. I used the weekends for my long rides and long runs I found that more seat time that I got faster over time.. Last year this time I was doing good to average 12 mph on the bike. I usually swim two to three times a week during my lunch hour... As my races get closer then you start to do bricks with a bike ride then a run afterwards this really helps a lot...my one piece of advice is to enjoy yourself and set goals that you want to achieve as a triathlete, make time for your family as they are your supporting cast without them moving up in distance is not possible because you will be away from them a lot...so when you take time off have family time...also what I learned to was the 35-39 age group was tough as odd as this sounds we were faster than people in the younger age groups...after you complete races then use those experiences to learn from like your nutrition,temperatures,your performance etc...then try to improve each event you compete in...when I made the decision I was going to do triathlons I just jumped in head first and started training for the Olympic distance right out the gate so pick where you are most comfortable and go with it... I hope this helps if anyone has any questions are concerns I will try to help to the best of my knowledge...if you look at some of my race reports that will give you an idea of what you want to look for in a race... Safe training to all.....one last thing go ahead and sign up for a race or two as this is great motivation to keep you training because you know at the end of it you have a race to compete in..

Thanks for the advice! I agree that signing up for events is helpful to keep motivation up and it makes it so you can't wimp out. I have my first half marathon in May and I was hoeing and huming over it - then I paid! Now, I'm locked and loaded and nothing to worry about except training.

The idea about leaving missed workouts be is important. I am still guilty for trying to shift workouts up the week, and sometimes down into the next week so that I can do them all. There's a point where I just need to let them go. I'm going to focus harder on this component.
2011-02-08 7:29 AM
in reply to: #3342161

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
kkvane - 2011-02-06 9:13 PM I haven't gotten here to the boards the last few days, but I have been getting to my workouts. Up to 8 minute running intervals today. Last two or three running workouts, I've been getting short little stints of feeling more "in the groove," more graceful, and not quite so clunky. Actually feels good. Then it goes away again. I'm hoping that as I go along, I'll get more of those times.Went swimming yesterday. My daughter (my swim coach ) was in town, so she gave me some tips and lots of things to work on. I'm going to plan on switching strokes during my swim portion so that I can give some muscles/directions a break. I still have a few months to work on it, so that may change.Overall, it's going well. I hope everyone has had a great weekend!!

Your intervals are progressing nicely! There's nothing wrong with using different strokes, especially during training, because it gives different muscles a break and you aren't forced to hold the same posture for the whole session. I wish I knew more strokes but all I can do properly is front crawl and back stroke.
2011-02-08 7:30 AM
in reply to: #3342217

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
D001 - 2011-02-06 9:49 PM
Great progress on your running! 8 min intervals is FANTASTIC! As for me --- I think I have the flu. (And yes, I had a flu shot.) Temp is over 102F, and I have all the 'flu' symptoms. I'm about to cough up a lung, too. Obviously, no workout for me today! It may not be the flu, but it sure feels icky, whatever it is.

Drink tons of water and citrus fruit and cross your fingers. Hopefully you get through this soon.

2011-02-08 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3342861

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Threejs - 2011-02-07 11:03 AM

I have been MIA on the site for a few days but will catch up later today.  For those non football fans who weren't watching football this weekend....

YAAAAAPACKERS!!!!!
SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!

Have a great day!!!

Our groundhog (Waierton Willy) said that they were going to win, before he told us 2 more weeks of winter.
2011-02-08 7:34 AM
in reply to: #3343022

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
kwynnc - 2011-02-07 12:06 PM Congrats to the packer fans. We aren't football watchers, but our 9 year old wanted to watch last night and I wasn't bored stiff, which is a change. Ran today - 35 minutes, 2.1 miles. Did walking with 2 intervals of 2 minute runs. My foot hurt on the treadmill today, which is unusual. However, I was also painting the bathroom this weekend, so stood barefoot on the ladder, the tub, the tile, the sink, etc. and I'm sure that aggravated it. Run itself felt good. I didn't mean to do the second interval, but a good song came on at the end of the walk and I just felt like it. I really miss running.

Nice workout! If the foot keeps giving you trouble stretch it out and stretch your lower leg before and after runs.
2011-02-08 7:36 AM
in reply to: #3343940

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
bumbbles21 - 2011-02-07 7:04 PM
D001 - 2011-02-06 6:48 PM Ow ow ow ow. Just reading that is making my fingers 'twitchy.' Hope it heals soon!

kkvane - 2011-02-06 5:49 PM Oh, no!!!! The deadly mandoline strikes again. This so sounds like something I would do. I'm so sorry.... Ugh. Hate that it's thrown a wrench into your workout plans as well, but I'm sure you'll find an alternate for now. Glad you got yourself put back together and are on the mend!

Threejs - 2011-02-07 11:15 AM

Thanks for all your concern everyone - it really means a lot! I just got back from the doc who says that I'm out for 7-10 weeks as far as swimming goes :-( the skill has to be completely healed over, no open wounds in the pool. She did clear me for running or biking "later in the week" if it has stopped bleeding and feels better. I really hope so cause my new shoes just showed up in the mail and I'm itching to take them out for a spin.

What is everyone else up to? I can go out but I'd love to hear what you're doing!

The answer to my previous post. Good news! I know it's not fun that you lose swimming briefly and 7-10 weeks until you heal, but at least you can still do the other two sports soon.

What an I up to? I am proud to say I am FINALLY back in the groove! After bronchitis for 3 weeks it was hard to get back to training but I am training regularly now. Yesterday I did a 1 hour spin (indoor cycle) and a 30 minute swim. I tried breathing every 5 breaths instead of 3 and it seems with practice I will be able to make the change. I am committing at least a week of training to it before I decide. Today I have a run scheduled, but I'm not motivated due to "feels like" -26C weather outside and snow on the ground... I will go anyway. Here's to spring! It can't come fast enough.

Edited by mbasta 2011-02-08 7:41 AM
2011-02-08 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3343940

User image

Champion
Taser-World
bumbbles21 - 2011-02-07 7:04 PM

Wow! That's a long time to wait. But it'll be gone before you know it.

As for me -- it's gotta be the flu. Over 102F temp (38.9C) for four days now. Basically, I'm pumping fluids as much as I can.

I suppose that on the plus side, since I don't feel like eating anything, I've cut back dramatically on my sugar/junk food consumption.

The even worse news is that some of my coworkers have been getting hit with the dreaded 'stomach bug.' Ewwww. So we've got the flu heading down the hall, and the stomach virus heading up it.

I thought about staying home today, but it's not easy to do.....
2011-02-08 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3345693

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
D001 - 2011-02-08 4:58 PM
bumbbles21 - 2011-02-07 7:04 PM Thanks for all your concern everyone - it really means a lot! I just got back from the doc who says that I'm out for 7-10 weeks as far as swimming goes :-( the skill has to be completely healed over, no open wounds in the pool. She did clear me for running or biking "later in the week" if it has stopped bleeding and feels better. I really hope so cause my new shoes just showed up in the mail and I'm itching to take them out for a spin.

Wow! That's a long time to wait. But it'll be gone before you know it. As for me -- it's gotta be the flu. Over 102F temp (38.9C) for four days now. Basically, I'm pumping fluids as much as I can. I suppose that on the plus side, since I don't feel like eating anything, I've cut back dramatically on my sugar/junk food consumption. The even worse news is that some of my coworkers have been getting hit with the dreaded 'stomach bug.' Ewwww. So we've got the flu heading down the hall, and the stomach virus heading up it. I thought about staying home today, but it's not easy to do.....

Feel better soon. It is hard to stay home even though that's what should happen. Damn fast paced society! If everyone wasn't in such a rush sick people could be healing in half the time in their homes.

2011-02-09 5:54 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Alright team! I took a look through our member list and found we have 5 inactive users. This isn't me kicking people out, it's just people who haven't come back after signing up in the group.

Dee, when you are feeling better - no rush - do you mind removing the following users from our team list:

-jeaniechou
-jherisse
-kellylynnpayne
-polojen
-ultrakitegirl

If I have made a mistake please let me know! I was very careful to select non-users but mistakes happen. If one of these people want to jump in after we can add them back on as well.
2011-02-09 5:38 PM

Regular
Panic at the pool today. So stupid. Back in tomorrow and I'm going to try and induce some of the same feeling so that I can work through it.
2011-02-09 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3347794

New user
Fairbanks
kwynnc - 2011-02-09 5:38 PM Panic at the pool today. So stupid. Back in tomorrow and I'm going to try and induce some of the same feeling so that I can work through it.

I can relate. My first triathlon was after recovering form pneumonia. every time I free crawled I'd sputter and cuss at myself. All it did was attract the rescue boat and I ended up breast stroking most of the 900 meters. My second tri was an open water start and I heard people talking about the stress of dog paddeling and waiting for the start. Waiting for that start I turned on my back and just floated. It made for a most rewarding swim. I do sometimes forget that idea. Last week My brother was in the hospital. My stress got the best of me and I ended giving up short of my exercise goal and had an average of 2:58/100 meters. Three days later I remembered my day of frustration, floated on my back with a pull buoy between my legs and just relaxed. This method worked for my focus and got me back to 2:14/100 m average for my workout session. Drills are hard because we are trying to change muscle memory but the exercise we do for ourselves and we should be able to enjoy the rewards. If inducing stress works for you let us know cause there are many methods. that is why I'm in this forum is to adapt training strategies form others who have been successful.

Edited by harlequinduck 2011-02-09 7:29 PM
2011-02-10 2:19 AM

User image

Regular
I think I'm going ot have to but official training to the side and do what I can inbetween moving house, working 9-10 hour days, finding a new job and driving. I'm spreading my self too thin I think I'm so tired I'm going for bath and bed at 2030!! Take next week I have 10 hours of driving lessons - this is because I've so far only had 3 lessons and I have my practical on the 8th APril due to the same day moving out and 4 hours up north, where my house (military married quarters) is in the middle of nowhere with 1 bus a day.On the plus side there is some faboulous cycle routes near there - and mostly flat so I can go further with the odd hill - unlike here I go 2 miles in any direction and you have a killer hill (not to mention the moterists who try to kill you). Running routes we've yet to find, hoping the gym will have some on the board - I know most do, unfortunatly the road nearest is too busy but there is bound to be some good running routes.Also got to investigate where the nearest pool is - I have a feeling its about 5/6 miles away which could be quite good because I should if I get my act together be able to cycle to the pool - do the swim, and cycle back - then I've done 2 workouts in one!So anyways (i'm awful once I start talking I don't stop!) I am still doing my first ever run event in June and my first ever Triathlon event in Sept - Something needs to give and unfortunatly thats the only viable option. What I am worried about is that I will go into my old habits since I haven't been *exercising* very long. I only got my butt off the sofa in October/November to do my first ever proper training. The question is am I making excuses and should go down the gym 7/8pm after work and driving or focus my time on learning to drive, getting work done, sorting the house out and finding a job?edit * not sure what happened to my formating - sorry its one big paragraph it wasn't when I started

Edited by purpleshoes2 2011-02-10 2:21 AM
2011-02-10 11:07 AM
in reply to: #3347794

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
kwynnc - 2011-02-09 6:38 PM Panic at the pool today. So stupid. Back in tomorrow and I'm going to try and induce some of the same feeling so that I can work through it.

Good luck! The best place to do it is in the pool because there's lots of help and ropes/walls.

2011-02-10 11:11 AM
in reply to: #3348173

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
purpleshoes2 - 2011-02-10 3:19 AM I think I'm going ot have to but official training to the side and do what I can inbetween moving house, working 9-10 hour days, finding a new job and driving. I'm spreading my self too thin I think I'm so tired I'm going for bath and bed at 2030!! Take next week I have 10 hours of driving lessons - this is because I've so far only had 3 lessons and I have my practical on the 8th APril due to the same day moving out and 4 hours up north, where my house (military married quarters) is in the middle of nowhere with 1 bus a day.On the plus side there is some faboulous cycle routes near there - and mostly flat so I can go further with the odd hill - unlike here I go 2 miles in any direction and you have a killer hill (not to mention the moterists who try to kill you). Running routes we've yet to find, hoping the gym will have some on the board - I know most do, unfortunatly the road nearest is too busy but there is bound to be some good running routes.Also got to investigate where the nearest pool is - I have a feeling its about 5/6 miles away which could be quite good because I should if I get my act together be able to cycle to the pool - do the swim, and cycle back - then I've done 2 workouts in one!So anyways (i'm awful once I start talking I don't stop!) I am still doing my first ever run event in June and my first ever Triathlon event in Sept - Something needs to give and unfortunatly thats the only viable option. What I am worried about is that I will go into my old habits since I haven't been *exercising* very long. I only got my butt off the sofa in October/November to do my first ever proper training. The question is am I making excuses and should go down the gym 7/8pm after work and driving or focus my time on learning to drive, getting work done, sorting the house out and finding a job?edit * not sure what happened to my formating - sorry its one big paragraph it wasn't when I started

Sorry to hear that you're so overwhelmed right now. First, remember that this time will pass. Second, decide what works for you. I suggest not stopping all activity because from experience it's hard to rev back up. Why don't you just run for the time being and put cycle/swim on hold until after driving lessons? Even if you only run 2 days a week you will maintain fitness and stay in the active mindset.
2011-02-10 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3348789

Regular
mbasta - 2011-02-10 11:11 AM

Sorry to hear that you're so overwhelmed right now. First, remember that this time will pass. Second, decide what works for you. I suggest not stopping all activity because from experience it's hard to rev back up. Why don't you just run for the time being and put cycle/swim on hold until after driving lessons? Even if you only run 2 days a week you will maintain fitness and stay in the active mindset.

Totally agree here. I completely sympathize with what you're going through. My husband was air force and I remember those crazy hectic days with moving, etc. But I think Melissa is right that if you are able to get in a couple of workouts a week, you'll keep a base level and more importantly, feel better about the fact that you're getting something in, even if it's abbreviated. Once I stop completely, I have a really hard time getting started again (body at rest stays at rest?). The couple of runs a week might also help with the stress level, you've definitely got a lot on your plate.
2011-02-10 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3348783

Regular
mbasta - 2011-02-10 11:07 AM

kwynnc - 2011-02-09 6:38 PM Panic at the pool today. So stupid. Back in tomorrow and I'm going to try and induce some of the same feeling so that I can work through it.

Good luck! The best place to do it is in the pool because there's lots of help and ropes/walls.

Thanks, I had a much better day today. Cross posted from my journal:

So much better today! I think I figured out what I did wrong yesterday.

1 x 75 - bad
1 x 25 - okay
1 x 50 - blech
1 x 200 pull buoy/paddles
1 x 100 pull
1 x 200 - felt really good
1 x 100 - good again!
1 x 50 elementary backstroke
1 x 100 dog paddle with pull buoy
1 x 100 front crawl - good again!!

Okay, so the start was bad. I spent the time trying to figure out how to email my girlfriends and beg to change to a shorter swim sprint. Then decided to try and concentrate so put on the pull buoy and paddles. I spent a lap or two trying to change my breathing. I don't breathe out continuously underwater, I hold while I stroke with my left and then start to exhale as I turn to the right. I've been spending time on beginner triathlete and they all talk about breathing out continuously, but I CAN'T!! It panics me. so I've decided to go with what works for me.

So, back to my regular breathing. Then when I took off the paddles and pull buoy, I slowed my kick down and concentrated on feeling the buoyancy and keeping my head down. Totally worked.

Then I realized that as I started to get tired I bring my head up higher to breathe and almost slap it back down into the water. So I concentrated on rolling it and immediately felt better. Much happier with my swim today!! I think I've also been feeling more panic/pressure because of the time and distance. I will be happy if I can do 2 400's comfortably back to back before the tri instead of being so focused on 800 continuous. I think that's a doable goal and one that doesn't mentally defeat me before I start.
2011-02-10 12:41 PM

Regular
Harlequinduck - I took your advice to heart as well. At the end of the session, I did a couple of lengths just doing the elementary backstroke, feeling the buoyancy, and enjoying the relaxing. Definitely helped me not hate the water. I need to remember that I can always turn over and float during the tri if I need to. For some reason, I tend to forget that as an option.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Curious - closed Rss Feed  

of 26