BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-03-11 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3269333

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go!

Thanks so much Jenny!  Yes, I do like the idea of the compact and understand the triple can be a bit quirkier (is that a word?).  I just rode the Spec Dolce Elite (48cm), and of course liked it.  So off to compare how the Scott feels tomorrow morning.  LOL, I need to get one soon so I can focus at work .  I really, really, appreciate all your help!

2011-03-12 1:34 AM
in reply to: #3394389

User image

Subject: RE: jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go!

Awsome,

Thank you very much.

I've added you and (most of) the group members to my friend list.

Don't really know where to start next...
I was planning to go cycling today with some friends. Guess it will be around 40-50km.

Kind regards

2011-03-12 5:10 AM
in reply to: #3393801

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
peteacher - 2011-03-11 12:18 PM

Okay so here is my latest question.  I used the custom workout tool on here (the free one) and so far I feel super good about distances and expectations.  I had limited knowledge when putting it together but I have been reading and spending time on here like crazy (yes, even a little OCD).  I put the workouts on what appeared to be best for my schedule but am now second guessing one big thing.

Obviously bricks are good but I am wondering if it matters how we place the bricks.  For example, yesterday I did a 650y in 12m and followed it by a 1.14 m run (14m).  Should I be doing bricks in the order they are on race day or doesn't it really matter what order I train in as long as I am building a base??

I often end up doing back-to-back training sessions, simply because that's what works best for my schedule. Usually when I do back-to-back training, one of those sessions is a swim - since I'll be at the gym to swim anyway, I'll do a treadmill run or spin class before or after the swim. I don't necessarily consider these "bricks" though. To me a brick is moving from one discipline to the other in the order they would come in the race with as little time between the two as possible. Ideally it would include some transition practice. The reality is that I don't do much actual brick training any more... I think some bike-to-run brick training is beneficial for new triathletes to get an idea of how transitions work and how it feels to go from bike to run. So as you get closer to your race, think about incorporating a few bike-to-run brick sessions. I guess this is my long-winded way of saying there's nothing wrong with following a swim with a run if that's what works best for your schedule Keep up the good work!
2011-03-12 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3394717

New user

I often end up doing back-to-back training sessions, simply because that's what works best for my schedule. Usually when I do back-to-back training, one of those sessions is a swim - since I'll be at the gym to swim anyway, I'll do a treadmill run or spin class before or after the swim. I don't necessarily consider these "bricks" though. To me a brick is moving from one discipline to the other in the order they would come in the race with as little time between the two as possible. Ideally it would include some transition practice. The reality is that I don't do much actual brick training any more... I think some bike-to-run brick training is beneficial for new triathletes to get an idea of how transitions work and how it feels to go from bike to run. So as you get closer to your race, think about incorporating a few bike-to-run brick sessions. I guess this is my long-winded way of saying there's nothing wrong with following a swim with a run if that's what works best for your schedule Keep up the good work!

Thank you, that was exactly what I needed!!  Been doing even more reading so I am getting a much better grasp on what should happen where.  Haven't started training outside yet so when I do I will put the bike and run together much more often.  You rock Jenny!!

2011-03-12 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hooray....bought a bike!  Last night I rode the Spec Dolce Elite I had my eye on at the bike store, and today I rode the 2009 Scott Contessa w/ S105 components.  Liked them both equally well, so went for the Scott for $550 less than I would have paid for the new Spec.  Nice guy selling his wife's bike.  It was gleaming up on a stand when I got there, and I could have eaten off his garage floor.  Looked like he had maintained it (and his other 3 bikes), very well.  Very happy with the deal, and ready to ride!  Thank you so much for all of your help in sorting this bike stuff out!  I truly would have been lost on it without your input. 

2011-03-12 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3394976

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
squirt - 2011-03-12 2:49 PM

Hooray....bought a bike!  Last night I rode the Spec Dolce Elite I had my eye on at the bike store, and today I rode the 2009 Scott Contessa w/ S105 components.  Liked them both equally well, so went for the Scott for $550 less than I would have paid for the new Spec.  Nice guy selling his wife's bike.  It was gleaming up on a stand when I got there, and I could have eaten off his garage floor.  Looked like he had maintained it (and his other 3 bikes), very well.  Very happy with the deal, and ready to ride!  Thank you so much for all of your help in sorting this bike stuff out!  I truly would have been lost on it without your input. 

YAY!!!! So happy for you!! Post a picture when you get a chance! Will your local bike shop do a fitting for you?

2011-03-12 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3394976

User image

Regular
Minnesota
squirt - 2011-03-12 1:49 PM

Congratulations! Many happy miles! And yes, let's see it!

2011-03-12 5:12 PM

User image

Veteran

I ran the 4 miler and was glad I did.  I treated it as a tempo run and ran "comfortably hard" but not all out.  I hadn't done this race since '07 and it's a lot of fun.  I was very diligent about watching for potholes because I didn't want something stupid to mess up the marathon.  This race really is a bargain - I only paid $10 to register day of (with no t-shirt).  I think it was $15 to preregister with a St. Patty's themed long sleeve t-shirt.  The spread they have afterwards is amazing - yogurt, fruit, donuts, bagels, subs, pizza, chips, BEER, and probably some other things that I missed!  (I did not eat all of that!)

I think this is the link to my race report.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=244567 

2011-03-13 5:53 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Awesome, Courney! Sounds like a great race for you!
2011-03-13 8:18 AM

User image

New user
Here is my weekly accountability post.  This week went well, I increased training time by about 10%.  As I look at the graph though, the increase was mostly strength training.  This coming week my schedule is much more open and the weather will co-operate better than this week.  I accomplished 1sw, 1bk and 1rn with 3 str sessions.  I will follow my schedule better this week and perform 2sw/2bk/2rn and maybe cut out 1 str.  All in all a good week, as I am using this program for fat loss, I was a little disappointed to see my BF% only go down .2%.  Next week I want my post to say,"Hit all workouts and BF% down .5%."  Have a good week everyone and good luck on your goals!  TJCIN
2011-03-13 7:54 PM

User image

@Tim Welcome to the group! It sounds like you are on a roll! Any particular triathlon you're thinking about signing up for?

@Squirt Congrats on the bike! It's scary to spend that chunk of money, but you did your research - now the real deal begins!

I bought a bike, too! The Trek Lexia I posted about a week or so ago. I finally got out and did a nice and easy 17 miles on it today. It was a great ride! It's definitely going to take a bit of getting used to. I bought some clipless pedals but haven't installed them yet-holding off until I am more comfortable on the bike itself and with the clipless pedals on my spin bike. Hoping I'll get there! I can really feel the efficiency of my Trek, even with the flat pedals-I just fly forward with every stroke! It's a nice step up from my Hybrid.

RE: post-workout food...You can't go wrong with a protein shake, right? I actually found some good protein powder that tastes decent and isn't gritty at all. It's the GNC Gold Standard Natural Whey in Chocolate. The "Natural" is the key here, as they make one without the "Natural" that is not as good, IMO. I mix a scoop with a cup or so of milk and a little ice and blend it up with the Magic Bullet. Sometimes I can trick myself into thinking it's a milkshake. My husband likes to mix in all kinds of stuff..bananas, yogurt, even cookies sometimes, ha!  My trainer always says no matter when you're eating make sure it is always a mix of protein and carbs. I hope there's something to that..

2011-03-13 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington

Thanks for the tips Conanzchic.  I don't mind the taste of most whey mixes, I tend to mix vanilla whey with berrys or chocolate mix with bananas and I like that.  I was just looking for something more substantial that will tide over my hunger until lunch or dinner if you know what I mean.  Also with your new bike, if you think you are flying now with the new bike you will be amazed with your speed once you install your clipless pedals and get used to the full circle pedaling motion you will be flying!  Have fun with your new bikes Squirt and Conanzchic!

Marcus

2011-03-14 2:38 AM

User image

Hi all,

So saterday I went cycling with a friend, and managed to do 64km. The 1st 20km we really had a lot of wind heads-on, the next 30 we had the wind in the backup (which was a lot nicer Wink) but also had several long hills, and the last 10 we had wind heads-on again.
I think it was a pretty good tour. 26,2km/h not to great, but not bad at all. I'm just happy that I'm able to drive for 2,5h with the protein diet I'm currently in. I did ate 2 of those bars during the workout.

Yesterday I wanted to go swimming, well, starting with the first lesson of "TI freestyle made easy", so that won't be a lot of swimming. But the flu hit me.
Today it's a bit better, hoping I can go running this evening.

conanzchic: No, I don't have any triathlon in mind so far. On April 17th, there is a 1/8th triathlon not far from my home. So I'm going to have a look, to see what it is about and everything. It seems like there are not that many triathlon races in Belgium, but maybe I'll join some running or duathlon races too. Or joining some race in the Netherlands or Germany, that's also not so far.

2011-03-14 3:57 PM

User image

Just got back from a run. (its 10PM now)

I did lesson 12 from a 30 lessons program called "start to run".
It was 1 min run, 1min walk, 2min run, 2min walk, 4min run, 3min walk, 4min run, 3min walk, 5min run, 2min walk.

Did 3.59km in 25:25min.

Not too bad with a cold Wink

Edited by Spippo 2011-03-14 3:57 PM
2011-03-15 6:44 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
@ TCJIN, good work last week! Keep plugging away at those training sessions, and you'll eventually see the weight & fat loss you're hoping for. I'm with others who posted earlier re: tracking what you eat. I've definitely had the most success with weight loss in the past when I have done that. There are lots of free services you can use to track calories in & calories out (or at least estimate them), and shoot to maintain about a calorie deficit each day. You may already know this, but it's estimated that it takes a deficit of about 3500 calories to loose 1 lb, so if you shoot for a 500 calorie deficit per day, that would be about 1 lb weight loss per week. I've used FitDay pretty successfully, other options I know of are Daily Plate, My Calorie Counter, and there's a calorie tracker here on BT as well! Others may be able to recommend others they have used...

@conanzachic - Congrats on your new bike, too!! We need to see some pics of these new bikes! What kind of pedals did you end up getting?

@ Marcus, food after training... the main thing is to try and choose something healthy. Some carbs will help replenish gylcogen, and protein helps with muscle recovery. Good ol' chocolate milk is a good, relatively inexpensive choice for a recovery drink. If you want real food, you could have a healthy sandwich, some toast with peanut butter, a bowl of cereal, some cottage cheese (or other cheese) and fruit, etc... You could consider some snack bar type options, too. Sometimes if I'm headed to the gym and I know I won't be back home afterward to eat for a while, I'll throw a granola bar & cheese stick or something along those lines in my gym bag to snack on afterward.

@ Spippo - sounds like you're on the right track! I like the running plan you're following. Better to build up gradually like this (IMO) than to jump in trying to run too far too fast! Keep up the good work!

All - It's going to be a pretty busy week for me! I'll try my best to keep posting, but if I am AWOL toward the end of the week, I'll apologize ahead of time! The race I help organize is coming up this weekend, so between Thursday - Sunday, I'll be super busy getting ready for the race.
2011-03-15 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Jen, have fun with the race organizing!  I'm sure most of us have no idea how much work goes into one. 

Hey conanzchic, congrats on your bike!  I googled it, and looks great!  Glad I'm not the only one trying to figure out the whole shoes/pedals thing (haven't bought the shoes...one thing at a time). 

Learned on my first ride on my new bike yesterday why you were bike gloves (as in I didn't).  Never understood that before on my mtn bike since there wasn't much pressure on my hands there.  And yeah, it's going to take a little getting used to in terms of the saddle and all.  But felt so much more responsive, got a feel for the shifting, etc.  It was windy, so nice to be able to drop down a little lower, and my legs felt good.  I'll count the rest as learning curve. 

Question:  I noticed last week when I ran off the bike that my legs just seem to want to go a bit faster without it feeling like extra effort.  Is that normal?  Noticed that again this morning (run) after I rode yesterday evening.  Like without really trying the turnover is faster.  This is a good thing, since I've done nothing but slow runs for the last couple months and I'm not exactly speedy to begin with .     

Edited by squirt 2011-03-15 9:38 AM

2011-03-15 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3398409

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
squirt - 2011-03-15 10:33 AM

Question:  I noticed last week when I ran off the bike that my legs just seem to want to go a bit faster without it feeling like extra effort.  Is that normal?  Noticed that again this morning (run) after I rode yesterday evening.  Like without really trying the turnover is faster.  This is a good thing, since I've done nothing but slow runs for the last couple months and I'm not exactly speedy to begin with .

Some people do find they're a little faster off the bike... It's likely that your bike cadence is faster than your typical run cadence, and that as you move from bike to run, you continue to turn your legs over a little faster. Like you said, that's not a bad thing! Especially if you can maintain the faster turn-over without running out of steam!
2011-03-16 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Thanks Jenny!  Glad I'm not too weird (at least about that).

Had a brick planned for tomorrow, but 20-30 mph winds are making me rethink the timing on that.  Maybe a nice run through the (somewhat sheltered) park paths instead.  Swim was really good this morning...continuning to increase the distance, though not sure why since the sprint I'm signed up for on 4/10 is really short on the swim portion.  I'm following a beginner olympic plan for swim/bike, and trying to keep my running mileage from dropping too much in the process.  Think I need to figure out something on my (current lack of) longer term goals. 

2011-03-16 10:22 PM

New user

So I need help again.  I will try to explain this as best as possible and let me know if something isn't clear.

As I mentioned a while back, I created a training plan off of here and I currently love it.  Well, after doing a ton more reading and posting, I realized I could probably stand to tweak it.  So here is the really shortened original version

Sunday-Med/bike

Mon-off

Tues-Run/med, Swim/short

Wed-Bike/long

Thurs-Run/long, Swim/med

Friday-off

Saturday-Swim/long, Bike/short

As I mentioned, I am super comfortable and challenged by the times and distances but I am looking to tweak days to better suit my schedule and I am assuming it would be better to put the bike and runs together (not to mention that it is easier on me to leave the swims somewhat seperate)

So revised it would look like this:

Sunday-off

Mon-Bike/med, run/long

Tues-Swim/short

Wed-Bike/long, Run/med

Thurs-Swim/med

Friday-Bike/short

Saturday-Swim/long

Any feedback is good feedback because I might be missing something really obvious!!

Marnie

Edited by peteacher 2011-03-17 5:42 AM
2011-03-16 10:59 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

There is no way I could do a long run and a long bike on the same day.  I would move one of those to the next day.  If you want to really get something out of your long run your legs need to be at least remotely fresh for it.  I guess it depends on how long your long is.  If the bike is 50 miles and you then want to run 15 miles... ouche.  If the bike is 15 miles am and run is 5 miles pm thats no big deal.  I would also put a 3rd run in there, even if it is a short one or a brick.   

Here is my weekly workout currently

M= Swim 2500 yards, Bike 55 miles (S medium, B Long)

T= Run 10, swim 1800, bike 10 (run m, Swim short, bike short )

W= Run 5, bike 30 (run short, bike medum)

Thursday: run 7(often speedwork) swim 3000 (run short, swim long)

Friday= OFF

Sat Run 10, Bike 20 (run medium, bike short)

Sunday run 20 (only 12 this week(Run Long)

Unfortunately I trashed my ankle so everything is iffy at present.  And we got snow today 8(.  My IM plan was supposed to start this week, but I don't like the IM beginner or intermediate on BT.  They do not appear to be set up correctly.  So I am still looking and just maintaining 100 mile ish bike, 6000 or so swim and 35 to 55 run. 

Edited by Baowolf 2011-03-16 11:02 PM
2011-03-17 4:35 AM

User image

New user
Tried my first Spin Class last night at the gym.  That was pretty intense!  The big mistake I made was, I thought going in that the class was only 45 min.  The last 15 were hard.  The good news is that the instructor is a triathlete.  I'll be picking his brain over the next several weeks.  TJCIN

2011-03-17 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

TCJIN, I hear you.  I did my first spin class last week.  I knew it was an hour, but after 30 minutes I was thinking "seriously...only halfway through?".

peteacher, looks like you are doing well on your training. What type / when is your race?  For what it's worth, I'm wondering if at your level (and mine) it is necessary to combine workouts on more than one day per week.  Like you, I created my own plan here on BT, and am hoping its OK.  Most days I do one (swim, bike or run) and usually add some strength training on my swim days since I'm at the gym anyway.  Then one day a week, I'm combining bike (medium) and run (short).  This week looks like this:

Mon - Bike (long) - 17 miles

Tue - Run (med) - 4 miles (trying to start using this day for tempo, intervals, or hills now)

Wed - Swim (long) - 2000 yds + strength

Thu - Bike (med) - 12 miles, Run (short) - 3 miles

Fri - Swim (med) - 1500 yds + strength

Sat - Run (long) - 10 miles

Sun - Rest, walk the dog, or whatever I feel like doing/not doing

I'm running more than the plan calls for, but even so, I'm afraid of losing what running fitness gains I have made.  I'd like to maintain a good launching pad for another 1/2 or two and do a few sprints and maybe an olympic at the end of the summer/early fall.  Hopefully maintaining one longish long run, I'll be able to do that. 

2011-03-17 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington

Yesterday the weather finally let me pull my bike out and get a short ride in, finally off that cursed stationary bike!  Anyways with highs around 50 and my first tri about 80 days away I have just found renewed energy for this training business.  I hope all is going well with everyone's training going well, the first day of spring is only 4 days away Cool

One more question... how many of you train with music?  Since most races don't allow you to listen to tunes while biking/running when do you start to wean yourself off of the rhythm and motivation it provides?

Marcus

2011-03-17 11:36 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Marcus, good question.  I need my ipod too!  I run with it most of the time, but don't bike with it.  Not sure about in a triathlon and don't think I did in my first/only one, but I do wear it (only plugged into one ear) in running races and noone seems to care.   

2011-03-17 4:20 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

First off for Squirt's plan, I would recommend 3 days run and bike,  2 days swim at a minimum.  Second, you shouldn't be doing any speedwork on only 14 miles a week and you shouldn't be doing 10 mile longs with only 14 miles a week total (25 would be ideal, 20 minimum).  I would be really reluctant to do any speedwork until I was at 35 mpw for 6 months.  Even at 45-55 miles per week I really feal the speedwork.  With only 6-7 days per week to train and most minimal plans being 8 to 10 workouts a week you are going to have to double up somewhere.  I'm trying to figure out if I can squeek by with Bx4,Rx4, Sx3 per week.  I would really like to go 5x5x4, but who has the time? 

Good news is that the ankle is a little better, all bruizing and swelling gone, slight sensitivity still.  The good news bad news is that I finally lost another pound, bad news it is my birthday and I will be putting it right back on with chocolate cake (will skip the icecream). 

Still comparing the 5 IM plans and how to integrate them into my mary training... the 12 week bridge looked interesting, I just have to figure out what base to establish ... during my taper after next week.  Wow Boston in 4 weeks yikes! (This is the freek out I'm not ready, too late to do anything about it, nail your last hard week and then just follow your taper, time in the training plan.)

Don't let me overwhelm you about stuff.  Running 3x per week could look like 2, 2, 3 miles.  Or 1, 2, 1.  You just need 3x a week to progess in anything, 2x will only maintain it.  4x a week will improve it nicely and 5 is awsome.... but that is usually only for offseason focus. 

Oh and for music ya you can get disqualified for listening to music during a race.  The only time I listen to anything is when I am indoors on the drainer or the dreadmill.  It really isn't safe to be outside with music going, people die that way.  Ok well most people don't but I don't.  I am too focused on what I am doing and thinking deep thoughts, (thought bubble, crap a gopher hole and a car coming up from behind me about 15 seconds out and one coming towards me 15 seconds out, they are not going to have much room to miss me with that reflector is on my right hip, think small). 

Edited by Baowolf 2011-03-17 4:24 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go! Rss Feed  

of 23