BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-08-25 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3281614

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED

Warren,

Funny you should mention transitions. I catch a lot of flack since at my IM, my T1 and T2 times were 10 minutes each.

However, at shorter races, I have been working hard on making my transitions as fast as possible. It sounds silly, but keep it simple really works.

For example, in T1, I used to get all sorts of ready in the transition area. Now, I usually have a belt with my number (if required), helmet, socks and sunglasses. 

Sunglasses on, helmet on, belt on, then socks, and go. I practice riding on top of my shoes and then slipping my feet in while riding. Gets me up and going faster. I have gone under 1 minute in at least one race.

For T2, I take off the helmet as I am running my bike in. Often, I have slipped my feet out of the shoe in the last .5 mile and ride on top of the shoes. Get to my spot.

Bike on rack, running shoes on (elastic laces), hat or visor in hand, and go. You can always put on the hat/visor and start eating after you are at least shuffling out of the transition area.

It takes a little practice, and you have to have a plan, but this does make the race move faster, and avoids that terrible feeling where you were minutes slowing in transition than the guy who's time is 10 seconds faster than yours.

2011-08-25 9:04 AM

User image

NH

What, you don’t take you wetsuit off in T1?  Cool

I guess I agree that in an IM I wouldn't care about the T times, so don't listen to that flack, but you're right - in a sprint there's no reason to not push through transition.

I've been thinking about a few things which I really need to change.  First is that at least mentally I consider the transition time as a short "break" for lack of a better word.  I really don't run from spot to spot and kind of meander around and catch my breath.  I also don’t have zip laces, or whatever they’re called, so that’s a little bit of time lost.  I also need to get out of my shoes on the bike to get off and run with the bike faster.  It seems like the tris I do tend to have long distances from bike dismount to bike rack, and negotiating that distance in bike shoes is sometimes tough.  I’m going to work on having the bike shoes on the bike for the start, but I’ve heard mixed reports on that one.  At least at a tri like Timberman which has a pretty long no passing zone at the bike start while you go through a narrow path out of the park it makes sense.

It seems like it’s really just a lot of little things that add up in total, so I think some practice time would go a long way.

2011-08-26 10:15 AM

User image

NH

Eli, I saw you posted on the elliptical while no running thread.  I'm debating taking a little hiatus from running to let my heel heal (haha) and was wondering the exact same thing.  We have ellipticals here at work so I'm thinking of going that route if it makes sense.

Should I do anything special on the setup or as a workout?

2011-08-27 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3660620

User image

Master

Warren,

The models at the gym I work out in have a height adjustment, so I always make sure to vary it during and between workouts. It even shows which muscles it works. Make sure you do one that will give your quads some work, and I think the flat ellipticals don't do as much for them.

Plus, I like the ones with the arms as well, as it gives a great full body workout. 

2011-08-29 7:30 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

How was the weekend? I had a decent, but not great Saturday, and took Sunday off (I know, slacker!)

Starting to get a little worried about my level of training and fitness since I have an IM distance race in 8 weeks or so. I should be ok, but I have to make sure to have a good 5 weeks from now till then.

What about you?

2011-08-29 9:09 AM

User image

NH

I am on a self-imposed two weeks totally away from training. 

It was a great weekend, my middle son had a football jamboree Sat and we battened the hatches in anticipation of the hurricane for Sunday which never really happened.  Just lots of rain and a little higher than normal wind, but  nothing major.  It gave us a chance/excuse to play some cards, monopoly and watch a family movie together.

2011-08-29 10:01 PM

User image

Master

Whew,

Rough day today. Work was brutal. 11 hours of fighting with some computers trying to install and test software. Hours in the online chat with help. No resolutions.

Was just about ready to train all day, but didn't make it. After dinner I was just about to give up for the day. Went for a walk and came back.

After my daughter went to bed, I got in an hour on the spin bike. Felt great and totally worth it.

Reminded me of why I love this hobby. Feels so good to do something healthy for the day!

2011-09-02 7:42 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

How goes it? I am looking forward to a relaxing weekend with a fair bit of training. Had a decent week, and am feeling motivated.

My race is getting closer, and I am starting to get excited. Booked my hotel, and am planning to put on my race wheels soon!

There are a few upcoming races that I am thinking about, but may just stay focused on my IM distance race and my training.

How about everyone else?

2011-09-02 10:09 AM

User image

NH

I'm still enjoying my break.  Eating ice cream and Fritos and getting fat!

Also starting to think about next year and what I will try to do.  I need to have the discussion with my wife, but I like to have a goal and see if she is amenable.  I enjoyed short course this year since it was TOTALLY stress free in that missing a ride or a run wasn't a big deal.  In fact, with the injury I had if I had been planning a half or a full I'd have been SOL.  I'm leaning towards a 70.3 year, with either Timberman or a new Rev3 in Maine as my A race, but we'll see.

Otherwise, my goals this off season are to get the Achilles under control and run, run, run.

2011-09-03 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3670360

User image

Carmel

I'm training for a November marathon-14 miles today, and the 3 week ladder starts this week, so 16/18 ahead. all feels good. swimming -I have had some good days, and terrible days--some days I really have the stroke going-others.....Bike has been good-I normally swim in am and bike same pm. But makeing a darn squeek--pedals or crank?? just annoying. Normally able to ride with group-if I fall behind-all good-I consider riding 21-22 myself a better ride than with a pull at 24 anyway.

There is a fall HS pool tri - local - plan to sign up and give it hell!!

Edited by pgrun 2011-09-03 12:35 PM
2011-09-04 9:49 AM

User image

Master

Great news guys. Sounds like your respective break and training are going well.

I have had two fairly solid training weeks, and am feeling strong.

However, got a fairly vicious cramp in my leg yesterday after my ride, and today it is still feeling a little weak, like it could cramp again at any time.

I guess I need to go to the store and get some pickle juice.

My knee is also acting up a little. When I go into a full knee bend, like when you almost collapse a run, my left knee twinges, like somthing is a little off in there.

This has happened before when I ramp up training, so I think it will go away after a lower volume week.

Good training all!

2011-09-08 1:46 PM

User image

Master

Hey All,

How is everyone doing?

Had a great run this morning. Went about 14 miles and felt really good. Funny how some days you feel like you can keep going, and others you can barely do half of your normal workout.

Wish I knew what would help me feel strong on the longer workouts. I did eat Sausage and fresh corn last night, but I think I dodged a bullet with that meal, rather than it being the reason I had a good workout.

Hoping to get some good workouts this weekend, and hopefully a long swim.

2011-09-08 8:47 PM

User image

South Florida

Hey gang! i've been quiet lately. Training is in the thick of it, but im sticking with it and kickin butt. I went out for a 2hr run this evening but it ended not so great. I ran along the famous A1A which is beautiful but the surface is pavers( Eli knows what i'm talking about) I is there a huge difference in running on asphalt vs pavers? Because about 10 minutes after running on them, my feet started to kill. I would've ran in the bike lane but it was getting late and was dark out. I ended up getting 8 in, but not a good quality 8. Thoughts on this?

I'm a bachelor this weekend. The wife is going to DC for some family and i get to train my a$$ off!  Kinda sad that the entire weekend will be spent on training. But hey, it keeps me outta bars and strips clubs.

- Eli, i'm coming for you this weekend !!!

Happy weekend to all!

2011-09-09 8:20 AM

User image

Master

Nick,

I agree that running on the sidewalks does seem to be more painful much of the time. It is just a matter of getting used to it though.

Nice that you get a big weekend in this weekend. Good timing!

And coming for me -does that mean I will be in front?

Edited by eliwashere 2011-09-09 8:21 AM
2011-09-09 11:57 AM

User image

NH
That's perfect Nick, what' the matter with a "free" weekend being consumed with training?  I always tell my wife to accept my mid-life tri crisis, since it could be Ferraris and blonds!
2011-09-15 7:28 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

So, how goes it?

I took the last two days off. Kinda feel like a slacker, but I think I needed it after three solid weeks.

Plus, riding 100 and then running an hour + on Saturday, so I am kind of tapering.

2011-09-16 7:11 AM

User image

NH

I've been sidelined by a nasty cold/flu.  Everyone in my house had it and I though it passed me, but last weekend it really took hold and I've tried to run a few times this week but not much else.  It seems to hang on forever, and I feel like crap today again.  My season is over so at least it's not affecting racing at all.

It's given me pause about doing a mid/late Sept. "A" race though.  It seems this time of year, when all the kids go back to school and such, often brings sickness.  I'd hate to be in the final stages of a full training plan and get hit with this.  I did my 70.3 last year with bronchitis, and that was not fun.

2011-09-16 8:10 AM

User image

Master

Warren, 

That sucks. Glad to hear it isn't affecting your season. I was just thinking about sickness and school and general health this morning.

Seems to me that in general, when I am training, I tend to get sick less. However, there are times when my volume peaks that I get cranky, and am probably more susceptible to illness. I think you are right about kids and school having an effect as well.

Since your season is over....any thoughts for next season or the off-season?

2011-09-16 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3689074

User image

NH
eliwashere - 2011-09-16 9:10 AM

Since your season is over....any thoughts for next season or the off-season?

This offseason is dedicated to my never ending quest to run faster.  I'm going to try a high frequency approach at mostly lower intensity.  I will plan a half marathon and a 5k as markers early next spring.  I am going to do Jorge's bike plan but probably only 2 per week to maintain what I've built, but we'll see if I up it to the whole plan since I really like the biking.

I am still negotiating the tri season next year with my wife, but it is looking like one more year of short course as we acclimate to having kid(s) in high school and football.  I do plan to bike as part of a relay in the new Rev3 70.3 up here in Maine, that may actually become my A race.  I'd really like to get a tt bike as part of that plan, but the negotiations for that aren't going so well!

2011-09-17 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY

Hey Everybody

So Sorry that I went MIA for so long.  School starting for kids and work travel have limited my time on-line.   I decided not to do the 70.3 that was this weekend.  I just couldn't convince myself to run the required distance.  I did long enough ride and swims but the run was not gonna be there still.

So I have done three races in the past 3 weeks.  One Sprint, One 5K, and 1 10K.  Was really happy with Sprint, and 5K, 10K this morning not so much.

I have to create the reports for these before I forget what happened.  I need the reports to help me track progress.  Well I am gonna go back a ways and start to catch up on the posts.

2011-09-18 8:10 AM

User image

NH

Hey Charlie, good to hear from you.  Probably a good choice on the 70.3 given that the 10k didn't go as planned.  Those 13.1 miles are a real test of your training.

Do get those reports up, I love reading them.

I have to ask for some advice.  I'm battling some kind of nasty chest cold.  My doc said his office has been full for a few weeks with the same symptoms and it seems to be viral and hold on for 2-4 weeks for most people.  I know the rule is if it's below the neck to rest and heal, but I'm dying with no running at all even for just the past week.  I think I'll be in straight-jacket if I'm off for 3 weeks.  Should I run a little even with the chest congestion?

2011-09-20 3:04 AM

User image

Master

Charlie,

Good to hear from you. I can relate to getting busy and long runs. I am getting nervous for my race as well.

Warren, I would say you can do some really EASY short runs. Keep it to 30 minutes or less, and DO NOT do any interval work.

Easy exercise can help, but if it makes you fatigued the next day, don't repeat.

2011-09-21 6:38 AM

User image

Master

Hey Party People,

On the road again, this time in NJ.

Got in a decent 5 miles on the treadmill today. Doing an easier week this week and an Olympic race on sunday.

Next week will probably be my last "long" ride, as we are doing 100 on sunday.

Looking forward to my IM distance race, but a little worried this year. I have had decent volume, but my training has been a lot less directed. I have also had less fatigue and mental stress, so I guess it is a wash.

Looking forward to my "off" season, which already includes a 203 mile ultra relay and a half IM.

Hope all is well!

2011-09-21 9:55 AM

User image

NH

That's quite an "off" season Eli!

My off season is underway, and this virus is KICKING my butt.  I tried running a few days back but that was a no way.  I see starts when I stand up and I'm running a low fever.  This has been 10 days now, so it's getting old.  If I catch something from my kids is usually a day or two and then I'm back, but this one is nasty.  Hopefully when I can get back to it I won't have regressed too far.

2011-09-22 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Rest and get healthy Warren. Anything you miss can be made up, but you can put yourself out longer if you push it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20