BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-04-22 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3460251

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED

Tracie, looks like you're going to have to try swimming in your bath tub!

Twhittum - 2011-04-22 8:28 AM

My sad story-

I didn't get any swims in this week. I ususally like to  go tues. and thrus. I decided this week to go wed. morning to get some swim instruction, but we had storms and I woke up atleast 5 times during the night, then my son Seth woke me up because he woke up from the storms. I decided at 3am I wasn't going to get up a 4 to go swimming. Then for thrus. I told my husband I was going to go thrus. morning, but he was going running because Seth had a school thing thrus. night. So I decided I would go Friday and Sat., but come to find out the pool is closed for Easter weekend. Frown

So yesterday Seth had a check up at the doctors so I decided I wanted to a bike shop afterwards, and from there chaos insued. My normally good kids wouldn't listen, and were running all over the store so I had to leave before they broke something.

Have a great weekend, Happy Earth Day! Happy Easter! Innocent

Tracie

2011-04-22 5:42 PM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
So had a nice long swim today and had the usual time to myself.  So what is grosser? 1) used Bandaid 2) long hair in the mouth 3) the taste of lotion from the water aerobics class in the other end of the pool.
2011-04-22 6:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Took a half day off at work.  Hit the pool on the way home and focused on SPL.  Normally it takes me over 30 strokes to do a length.  Was able to do lengths from 24 to 26 SPL at a 2:30 pace.  My muscles felt really good, but was winded as I didn't seem to be able to breath as well.  I'll keep working on this one as my form needs the help! 

Got home and headed out for my 4.7 mile route.  Logged a new PR at 40:53 (8:41 pace) / old PR was 41:28.  Running's been going really well lately as I feel more and more comfortable.  It's so nice to see the training start to pay off.  While I've had a great time over the past year and seen/felt massive gains in the cardio system, the lack of speed has been driving me batty!  I grew up playing the traditional sports and was always the fastest guy on the field.  Doubt I'll ever be there in the endurance arena, but at least the pace is improving.

Plan to get one swim, one run and one bike in over the weekend + a round or two of golf.

Hope everyone has a Happy Easter!

2011-04-22 6:05 PM
in reply to: #3461580

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

cbarnes1 - 2011-04-22 5:42 PM So had a nice long swim today and had the usual time to myself.  So what is grosser? 1) used Bandaid 2) long hair in the mouth 3) the taste of lotion from the water aerobics class in the other end of the pool.

Vote for the lotion covered, used bandaid with hair on it that ends up in the mouth!!!!  Makes you want to strangle some folks.

2011-04-22 6:16 PM
in reply to: #3461580

So had a nice long swim today and had the usual time to myself.  So what is grosser? 1) used Bandaid 2)    long hair in the mouth 3) the taste of lotion from the water aerobics class in the other end of the pool.

I vote the used Bandaid-all are pretty gross-but the bandaid does it for me.

Tracie

2011-04-22 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3461599

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
croixfan - 2011-04-22 6:03 PM

Took a half day off at work.  Hit the pool on the way home and focused on SPL.  Normally it takes me over 30 strokes to do a length.  Was able to do lengths from 24 to 26 SPL at a 2:30 pace.  My muscles felt really good, but was winded as I didn't seem to be able to breath as well.  I'll keep working on this one as my form needs the help! 

Got home and headed out for my 4.7 mile route.  Logged a new PR at 40:53 (8:41 pace) / old PR was 41:28.  Running's been going really well lately as I feel more and more comfortable.  It's so nice to see the training start to pay off.  While I've had a great time over the past year and seen/felt massive gains in the cardio system, the lack of speed has been driving me batty!  I grew up playing the traditional sports and was always the fastest guy on the field.  Doubt I'll ever be there in the endurance arena, but at least the pace is improving.

Plan to get one swim, one run and one bike in over the weekend + a round or two of golf.

Your run is kicking it, Curt. 8:41 pace is great. I'll trade you my 9:30 any day.

I also second the lotion covered used band aid with hair is the grosses

Had a great swim this AM. did all kinds of form work, with emphasis on the pull, and a good easy reach. Was shocked at my average time per 100 -- 1:31 !!! Fastest ever. I thought I may have miscounted laps/time, but no, that was it. I'm not trying to go faster, just smoother with good form. Maybe I'm going something right.

2011-04-22 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3461700

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Mike_D - 2011-04-22 7:42 PM
croixfan - 2011-04-22 6:03 PM

Your run is kicking it, Curt. 8:41 pace is great. I'll trade you my 9:30 any day.

I also second the lotion covered used band aid with hair is the grosses

Had a great swim this AM. did all kinds of form work, with emphasis on the pull, and a good easy reach. Was shocked at my average time per 100 -- 1:31 !!! Fastest ever. I thought I may have miscounted laps/time, but no, that was it. I'm not trying to go faster, just smoother with good form. Maybe I'm going something right.

I know you're on to something Mike!  Hoping that I can make some progress on my form as well.  It would be great if you could provide some insights in to what steps, drills, workouts, approach, etc. that you've used to guide your progress.

2011-04-22 10:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
Tracie - sorry you didn't get your swims in. I'm sure you'll do better this week.
2011-04-22 10:14 PM

Extreme Veteran

Croix - good work on the reduction in SPL and the new PR for your 4.7 miler

Mike - good work on the swim

Hope you all have a nice easter

I've decided to do my long walk tomorrow followed by a recovery walk and swim Monday afternoon. Not sure how well it will go after getting up in the wee hours to go to the dawn service though.

Monday is ANZAC day here which is a specific memorial day to Australia and NZ

2011-04-22 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3461601

User image

Master
Dunedin
croixfan - 2011-04-22 7:05 PM

cbarnes1 - 2011-04-22 5:42 PM So had a nice long swim today and had the usual time to myself.  So what is grosser? 1) used Bandaid 2) long hair in the mouth 3) the taste of lotion from the water aerobics class in the other end of the pool.

Vote for the lotion covered, used bandaid with hair on it that ends up in the mouth!!!!  Makes you want to strangle some folks.

Ick, only way to make THAT situation grosser is to have the door open and people smoking outside!

2011-04-23 4:58 AM
in reply to: #3458328

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for posting that Sara. I finally watched it and it makes some sense. I can tell I'm the first one he explained from Wednesay's swim but I'll see what happens on next weeks swims and see if I can get any better.

2011-04-23 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Used band-aid--GROSS!!!! Lotion flavored pool--also Gross!! Someone's long hair being ingested---WAY TOO GROSS!!! That really makes me NOT want to use the pool at my gym! 

--That being said, my plan for today is to hit the gym pool and work on my technique, breathing, kicking, well---EVERYTHING! I went to a master swim class on Thursday, that is run by coach--there was only one other student, so it was basically a $12 swim lesson--Sweet! Anyway, I actually did get a couple of good laps in where everything was as it should be; now that I know how it feels, I can actually aim for it. 

Of course, my shoulder is still really sore, which also effected my swimming, but unfortunately, there's not much I can do beyond not training (i.e. rest...), and as my first tri is in a month, I need to keep up training. I'm going to keep the training at a decent level, make sure my bike fit is right(as it may be the cause...), and then go easy when the pain is bad. Oh yeah, I'll also keep up with the ice-ing, massaging, and pain meds as well.

In any case, I'm enjoying reading everyone's training and progress, its really motivating for me! Smile

2011-04-23 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Headed to the pool for an AM swim.  Did 5 x 100 yards easy/drills.  Did one 100 with my "old" stroke / not paying attention to stroke length -- man it felt choppy / wrong.  That's good news as it tells me that I'm learning to "feel" the proper method.  After the 500 drills, did 500 yards straight.  Was able to hold a 2:39 pace without too much of a problem.  PR for 1000 yards is 2:46 pace AND I normally am able to do the second half faster as I loosen up.  Hoping to get down below 2:30 by the end of May at the latest and I really think that 2:00 is doable by the end of the summer.

Did a short, fast run afterwards.  Estimated pace at 7:00.  Ran for 6:30, walked for 1:00, ran for 1:36.  Definitely wierd running at this pace.  Very curious that after the 1:00 recovery, was ready to go again.  Wonder if there may be a run-walk strategy that I can use that actually is faster / know there has been some written on this topic.

Heading out this PM for a round of golf.

2011-04-24 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Happy Easter everyone!  Kids found all the eggs so no more eggs found in June this year.  Have a great day. 
2011-04-24 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Today was the first time the weather had cooperated (i.e. wind below 15 mph) for a bike ride.  The local shop advertises either a 30 or 50 mile ride on Sunday AM's so I decided to head over and give it a go.  I've never ridden with a group and around 20 miles is my longest ride, so I figured 30 would be a good time.

Turns out there was not a 30, but just a 50 -- which I found out on the ride.  Had a really good time.  Amazing the difference drafting makes in level of effort!  That said, for the last 10 miles my legs were shot.  On the flats, could hold up just fine.  Any sort of rise/incline was brutal.  I now understand why nutrition is so important on long endurance workouts.  Ride took just over 3 hours and averaged 16.2 mph.  Not a land speed record, but I was pleased overall.

Hopefully my legs will be OK for the rest of the PM.  Can certainly feel the muscles and knee joints right now.

Hope everyone has a happy Easter.

2011-04-24 3:48 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Geez, Curt, you make my ride today look like a skip through namby-pamby land.

I too was blesses with weather to finally let me ride outside of the basement. Did a 28.5 mile loop, and managed to average over 20 mph. My new bike is so fast at times it is scary. I topped out on a couple hills at 32 mph which is the fastest I've ever gone on a bike (so far). Tough winds so I was on the horns for much of the ride. When I did get aero, though, I really moved. It just felt great to crank down the road in aero, hitting a constant 24/25 mph on some stretches.

Only downside of the ride was an embarassing flop over at a stop sign. I had my left foot out, and was stopped at the sign - no problem. Then my brain decides it would be better to stand with both feet on the ground, but failed to check with the balance/other problems part of the brain. My other foot was still clipped in, and crash-ola, over I went. all was fine except there were about 9 cars at the interestction who looked at me like I was crazy. Had a few ask it I was OK, and I was. Told them it was operator error, and went on my way.

Overall, I need to still work on bike fitness, but I felt like I was making progress.

2011-04-24 4:44 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Glad to hear SOMEONE is getting out on their bike!  Last week I rode an hour in lower 30* temps with crazy wind and decided to go on strike-no training outside until I see sunshine and don't have to wear long pants.  I got my wish this morning and then the skies promptly opened up for a wet Easter Day.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.  How are we doing on sending each other inspires?  I've been more lax on it than past mentor groups, but we've had a great amount of discussion here, so I don't feel quite so guilty. Smile

A word on swim technique... if your shoulders are sore in a not good way then consider doing lengths of just kicking on your side.  You'll be able to work on the weakest part of the stroke - the kick and balance - that a lot of triathletes experience.  To do so, my chest and belly button face the right wall of the pool and my left arm is out, right arm rests on my right hip, I kick towards the right wall.  My head looks down (I "smell my armpit") as I kick and I breathe every six kicks or so.  Then I switch sides on the way back.  Most people find kicking on one side MUCH easier than the other.

Another helpful idea when the arms are shot-vertical kicking.  This is different than treading water.  In the deep end, cross your arms across your chest and kick to keep your head above water-don't bend those knees like you're kicking a soccer ball!  Kick from the hip and "flick" the water off the top of your foot.  Once you master flutter kicking vertically with your arms across your chest, try raising your hands out of the water as you kick.  BIG difference!  Try for 30 seconds and work up to 1:30-2 minutes

2011-04-24 5:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Hey Mike 28.5 miles at over 20 mph solo is A LOT harder than 50 miles at 16 mph in a group.  Did top out at 28 mph on a couple of downhills w/o even trying.  My bike really is top notch and a great tool.

I've been zapped all day / legs are like mush.  Good news is there's not any real pain in the muscles -- now the sit bones are a different issue! 

Hoping that the weather holds and I get another day or two this week in the saddle. 

2011-04-24 10:29 PM

Extreme Veteran

Looks like you're all doing some good work

I've been resting since Thursday due to knee and foot issues along with a cold. So didn't get in a long walk yesterday and won't be going out till Tomorrow. I also didn't go to the dawn service for Anzac day as my Dad is having back issues and the guy who was taking us had leg issues.

I'm hoping to repeat last week again i

2011-04-24 10:31 PM

Extreme Veteran

Looks like you're all doing some good work

I've been resting since Thursday due to knee and foot issues along with a cold. So didn't get in a long walk yesterday and won't be going out till Tomorrow. I also didn't go to the dawn service for Anzac day as my Dad is having back issues and the guy who was taking us had leg issues.

My plan for this week is to repeat week 4 of my plan (2-3 20 min walks with a 2.25 mile LD) before doing my race next week - a 4k or 2.5 mile walk near the ocean.

So I'll see you after I've got some walking in that I can report on.

2011-04-25 7:10 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Welcome to Monday, everyone.

While it was not hard to get out of bed & get to the pool today, it was a struggel to motivate myself to actually get in the pool & swim. I did get in and do it, but the negotiation with myself started while sitting on the wall and getting ready to go in. Not exactly great mental prep for the day's swim workout. Still, managed a 1500 yard workout, and did more form work, in particular the 'weightless head', relaxed arms, and a straight pull. Glad I talked myself into it.

Feel good w/no issues after yesterday's ride, which makes me feel good.

Off for ART session #4 this AM. Still feeling OK.

Hope everyone has a great week!!!

2011-04-25 2:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida

So, reality has hit.  I am 7 weeks away from my first tri of the year, which coincidentally is called: My First Tri.  I did this last year as my very first tri and had hoped to improve my time this year.

You can tell by my logs that this year has sucked as far as training goes.  I'm going to try to pick my training back up this week, but I'm moving my focus to the September Oly, may get downgraded to the sprint.

So, What I'm planning to do is start a 20 wk Oly plan today and just do the My First Tri as a part of that training.  What do you guys think?  Distances of the MFT: 200yd, 8mi, 2.5 run.

Thanks,

Tim

2011-04-25 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Happy Monday, folks!

Love reading all the good stuff about planning for walks, and talking ourselves into swimming, etc!

Tim-7 weeks is still a fair amount of time if you can be consistent in your training.  Otherwise, MFT would be a great long (supported!) workout. 

2011-04-25 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3464921

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida
WittyCityGirl - 2011-04-25 2:17 PM

Happy Monday, folks!

Love reading all the good stuff about planning for walks, and talking ourselves into swimming, etc!

Tim-7 weeks is still a fair amount of time if you can be consistent in your training.  Otherwise, MFT would be a great long (supported!) workout. 

And an expensive workout.
2011-04-25 3:01 PM
in reply to: #3464921

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
WittyCityGirl - 2011-04-25 2:17 PM

Happy Monday, folks!

Tim -- what she said!!! Plenty of time w/ consistency. You'll be fine!  Of course, now you need any Oly for the end of your plan!

Mike

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72