BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP is FULL (of motivation!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-06-07 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3442771

User image

Regular
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Destination MoP is FULL (of motivation!)

Anyone even done (or planning to do) an Xterra event?

Xterra runs an offroad triathlon series, so mountain biking and trail running.  There is one in my area Xterra Whitewater.  Looks like some of the more difficult trails are in the event so this is not in my near future, but would like to add as a longer term goal.

I see Xterra has events in Richmond and Charlotteville, Stu? Tongue out

-Steve

Edited by sschaar 2011-06-07 9:31 AM

2011-06-07 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3536702

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
sschaar - 2011-06-07 10:30 AM

Anyone even done (or planning to do) an Xterra event?

Xterra runs an offroad triathlon series, so mountain biking and trail running.  There is one in my area Xterra Whitewater.  Looks like some of the more difficult trails are in the event so this is not in my near future, but would like to add as a longer term goal.

I see Xterra has events in Richmond and Charlotteville, Stu? Tongue out

-Steve

If you're into that kind of thing and have mountain biking experience, it looks like a blast.  I haven't done the Xterra ones in C'ville, though I believe the Charlottesville Sprint Triathlon shares a good portion of the run course with the Xterra.  The C'ville Tri was my first triathlon, and it has a fairly challenging road bike ride.  Anyway, the tri run is basically a trail run with a bit of scrambling... I took a good spill on it which was enough to convince me that Xterra wasn't for me :-)  I'm all about avoiding injury!  I will say that running in the shade (and I presume biking too) is a plus.  As an aside, one of my band mates does the mountain bike trails in the park there and loves it.  Of course, he's also been known to get pretty trashed and into fights in parking lots, so I'll just let that speak for itself!

However, if you need a place to stay if you're coming up, we can probably find a couch or something for you.  We're about 40 minutes from the race site.

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2011-06-07 11:15 AM
2011-06-07 4:27 PM

User image

New user

Rockwall, TX
Subject: Spin Classes
Was wondering how does everyone feel about spin classes counting as a Med. distance Bike Rike?  I have a hard time getting out on the road during the week - keeping the kids and all, but the club offers a spin class mid day that I know I could get to. 
2011-06-07 4:33 PM

User image

New user

Rockwall, TX
Attending first Master's Swim Class tonight - very nervous. I hope they take it easy on the newbie!
2011-06-07 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3537681

User image

Subject: RE: Spin Classes

dvmcafee - 2011-06-07 5:27 PM Was wondering how does everyone feel about spin classes counting as a Med. distance Bike Rike?  I have a hard time getting out on the road during the week - keeping the kids and all, but the club offers a spin class mid day that I know I could get to. 

I think it counts.  Of course, I train to the times in my plan instead of the distances, but it seems reasonable to me.

2011-06-08 4:49 AM

User image

Expert

dvmcafee - 2011-06-07 5:27 PM Was wondering how does everyone feel about spin classes counting as a Med. distance Bike Rike?  I have a hard time getting out on the road during the week - keeping the kids and all, but the club offers a spin class mid day that I know I could get to. 

Valerie, I definitely count spin classes as bike workouts.  If you're lucky, your bikes will have a good display that will provide you with RPMs, watts, and an estimated distance.  Don't be discouraged about the distance as it may not accurately reflect the same output you'd do outside with the same amount of effort.  What's good about spin class:  no breaks (e.g. downhills), lots of interval work, more social, doesn't wear out your bike, good weather conditions, no dogs, traffic, etc.  What's not so good:  no handling skills, have to set up your bike each time (and get it right), no wind resistance skills, increasing resistance isn't the same as gravity.

The value of the class may depend somewhat on the instructor as well.  This year I stumbled upon one who is a cyclist and the workouts were far superior to the classes I did last year. 

In a perfect world, I'd do one spin class / week and the rest outside and the focus would be interval training.

Stu

2011-06-08 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3538276

User image

New user

Rockwall, TX

Thanks Stu for the pro's and con's!!

I wish our spin bikes had computers but, they do not.  So I just have to Do It and take it for what it is 1hour with no data.

2011-06-08 8:41 AM

User image

Veteran

How'd the master's class go?  

In my area of my state USMS is very inactive.  It's a shame.  Maybe 10 years ago I swam with 2 men a few mornings a week.  I swam in a few meets, for fun.  Now those meets have disappeared.  It's kind of sad.

2011-06-08 9:16 AM

Maine

Hi all,

Just a few things to report.

I ended up purchasing a FINIS tempo trainer. I used it for the first time in the pool yesterday. I definitely see how it can help me with pacing. Although, the setting they asked me to start at was way too fast. I must have a really slow stroke! I believe this will help me in my longer sets, so I am excited about this little pickup.

Secondly, I finally replaced (lost the other one) my ANT+ USB that connects my garmin to the computer and thus, BT. Yea for technology. I can analyze all I want.... yea! One of my goals for this month is to wear my HRM during my bike & run workouts.

Life has been extremely busy and work has been almost unbearable. 95 degrees here tomorrow?! I thought I lived in Maine? Good excuse to find a lake to swim.

Heidi it is great to see you back. Anyone racing this weekend?

Happy Wednesday...

Christine

2011-06-08 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3537690

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Did it go well?  Masters class would terrify me...but I am the slowest one in the pool anyway.
2011-06-08 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3538682

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
christineakendall - 2011-06-08 9:16 AM

Hi all,

Just a few things to report.

I ended up purchasing a FINIS tempo trainer. I used it for the first time in the pool yesterday. I definitely see how it can help me with pacing. Although, the setting they asked me to start at was way too fast. I must have a really slow stroke! I believe this will help me in my longer sets, so I am excited about this little pickup.

Secondly, I finally replaced (lost the other one) my ANT+ USB that connects my garmin to the computer and thus, BT. Yea for technology. I can analyze all I want.... yea! One of my goals for this month is to wear my HRM during my bike & run workouts.

Life has been extremely busy and work has been almost unbearable. 95 degrees here tomorrow?! I thought I lived in Maine? Good excuse to find a lake to swim.

Heidi it is great to see you back. Anyone racing this weekend?

Happy Wednesday...

Christine

I need to get some new toys!  Don't complain too much about the weather; we just went over 70 this week and had chain controls over the Sierras on Monday!

2011-06-08 5:20 PM
in reply to: #3539650

Maine
New toys always inspire me! Plus I like graphs & charts.
2011-06-08 7:11 PM
in reply to: #3539718

User image

Regular
Charlotte, NC

christineakendall - 2011-06-08 6:20 PM New toys always inspire me! Plus I like graphs & charts.

x2

give me toys!

Edited by sschaar 2011-06-08 7:11 PM
2011-06-08 9:17 PM

User image

Expert

Cynthia- what are "chain controls"?

I just got word last night that my favorite local tri has been cancelled for this year. Major road work has made the bike and run unsafe. I'm so dissappointed.

I only do 2 or 3 tri's a year. Now I have to find a new one. I'm thinking about trying an oly, since I've been successfully increasing my run distance without injury!!

The VFF's are the best thing I ever did for my feet!

2011-06-09 7:21 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Pretty hot in NoVA area today.  Looks like a day for the dreadmill.  Absolutely dripping after last nights commute home.  Took about 45 minutes to recover.
2011-06-09 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3538569

User image

New user

Rockwall, TX
The Swim Class was great - there was only 3 other guys there that night and me.  The guys had been swimming for a long time so coach was able to give them drills and then they swam for 30 min straight.  I had one on one coaching - 25 yards at a time. It was great feed back.  Coach pointed out several things that I thought I was doing right but, he did say he thought I was a quick learner so that is always nice to hear. Can not wait to see how much better I can swim by the end of the month.  I have my 2nd class tonight.  Will be great as long as my kids can behave and stay out of the water- I have to take them with me on Thursdays.

2011-06-09 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3539994

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
slow turtle - 2011-06-08 9:17 PM

Cynthia- what are "chain controls"?

I just got word last night that my favorite local tri has been cancelled for this year. Major road work has made the bike and run unsafe. I'm so dissappointed.

I only do 2 or 3 tri's a year. Now I have to find a new one. I'm thinking about trying an oly, since I've been successfully increasing my run distance without injury!!

The VFF's are the best thing I ever did for my feet!

I will tell you what chain controls are if you tell me what VFF's are....

Chain controls are the mandatory chains you have to have on your vehicle when driving over Donner Pass when it snowing.  Donner Pass is the mountain pass on I-80 that runs east and west; named after the Donner Party. 

It was snowing the other day and required chains or 4 wheel drive to get over the pass.  The cold weahter has lingered here but this week it is finally warm. So we will have a week of spring like temps, mid to high 70s and then it will suddenly jump to 100+ and we will be in summer. 

Being from So Cal originally, all I can say is that there is really something to be said about one season!  Winter for me was 65 degrees in January with some rain and then the rest of the year it was no hotter than 85 along the coast!  Sure do miss that!

2011-06-09 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3540529

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

dvmcafee - 2011-06-09 9:07 AM The Swim Class was great - there was only 3 other guys there that night and me.  The guys had been swimming for a long time so coach was able to give them drills and then they swam for 30 min straight.  I had one on one coaching - 25 yards at a time. It was great feed back.  Coach pointed out several things that I thought I was doing right but, he did say he thought I was a quick learner so that is always nice to hear. Can not wait to see how much better I can swim by the end of the month.  I have my 2nd class tonight.  Will be great as long as my kids can behave and stay out of the water- I have to take them with me on Thursdays.

How cool to have a semi private lesson!

2011-06-10 4:30 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Did not do dread mill yesterday. Instead headed outside for 30 minutes or so. Temps in high 90s. Took it nice and slow with water bottle in hand. The 30 minutes was just about right - could not have handled heat any longer. 16 oz of water during run and 16 oz within 10 minutes of finishing. By late afternoon temp @ work had reached 102F. Had Jim (husband) pick me up halfway through bike commute home. This was exceedingly good idea since I felt a little nauseous while cooling down in the car. Will swim today and then head out backpacking for the weekend with my daughter and her venture scout crew. I'm hoping I don't turn an ankle. Race is next weekend.
2011-06-10 9:21 AM

User image

New user

Rockwall, TX
Having a great week - had completed all my workouts on my schedule so far. This is all ways a big goal for me! Swim class last night was great again. Semi-private coaching is so wonderful The kids did great and stayed out of the water.  I brought their DS games and that kept them occupied for most of the time. We finished up a little early so we could all go watch our great Mavs win last night Hoping tomarrow some ladies show up at the Bike Shop for a long bike ride - I'm not quite feeling comfortable enough to go out on the town yet by myself.
2011-06-10 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Chia seed experiment results....

For about the past month I've been having 1 scoop of ground chia seeds in a morning drink @ 8:30am on weekdays after my ride in to work.  

I mix the chia seeds with a bit of stevia, fresh lime juice, and water and drink over the course of 30 minutes or so.

I've come to the conclusion that they provide for a wonderful recovery drink.  On the days when I forget to take in my little mix but still have a snack @ 8:30am, I am hungry again by 10:00am and then again @ 11:30am.  With the chia seed drink, I'm good until after my lunchtime workout. 

So something about them keeps hunger at bay a bit longer than just a granola bar or banana even though the scoop only provides 80 calories of energy.

2011-06-10 7:35 PM

New user

Chicago, IL
I spin over my lunch hour at least once or twice a week.  It saves time and helps during bad weather (all to frequent lately in Chicago)
2011-06-11 7:59 AM

User image

Expert

Good luck to everyone who is racing this weekend!  I'll be "racing" home from Houston later today... hoping to dodge the storms on my 3 connection flight... ack.

Stu

2011-06-11 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran

I've got a 5K tomorrow that looks like it will be in the rain.  That should be interesting.  I suspect that I'll like it more than heat, but not as much as temps in the 40s.  I've learned something from each race, so I expect I'll learn about wetness at this one.  I'll have to bring dry shirt and or sweatshirt for the drive home...

2011-06-11 9:09 AM

User image

Veteran

I've been increasing my long run, next week will be 5miles (5K race this weekend).  The heat (and my lack of toughness) is messing with my mid-week runs a bit, but I'll keep at it.  I find that I can run really slowly for the long run and be pretty comfortable.  It's like I've found my "conversational pace".  The problem is that I find myself settling into that pace on other runs as well.  My running is actually getting slower overall and I don't know that it's all heat related. 

If I push myself I can run .25 mile repeats on the TM at 5.0 (12minute mile).  I guess some weekly "speedwork" might be appropriate.  Would 400 at 5.0, followed by 200 at some slower paced jog, repeated for some time period be advised?  Perhaps, it's my swimming background, but it seems like short stretches of "speed" might acclimate my legs to picking up the pace a bit.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP is FULL (of motivation!) Rss Feed  

of 35