Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2012-02-06 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4032344

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Team KiterChick - CLOSED

tribryan - 2012-02-06 3:57 PM I was wondering if I did not have time for a long all at one time can I split the run? Basically what I'm trying to ask is that if I have an 8 miler can I do 4 in the am and 4 in the pm.

Bryan, that depends on what your goals are for this particular run. Is this your long run for the week? If so, then no, splitting it up unfortunately will not equate running it all at once. This is because the point of the long runs are to build up your endurance, and running shorter runs does not focus on doing so. That being said, if it's a choice between doing the two shorter runs, or nothing, some running will always be better, and "missing" one week by splitting it up won't affect you too much. Just try to make sure that it doesn't become a habit and that you find the time to get in your long run in its entirety the following week.

2012-02-06 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3942327

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-02-06 11:59 PM

Veteran

Happy birthday KiterChick!!!!!! Hope you have a great day with friends and family.

So my run today ended in a bang, literally. I was finishing up my run when I managed to trip over my two feet sending me crashing head long into a brick wall! OMG that was a headache. I actually had to sit down for a few minutes and mentally regroup before I could make my way back. By time time I got home I had a huge goose egg over my right eye. It was actually pressing down on my brow to the extent that I lost some vision out of the eye.

I tried to catch myself and in the process jammed my right shoulder. I still have limited movement in that joint but it seems to be getting better as the hours tick by. I'm at work now and its already been an intresting shift. Everyone knew there was something up when I told them that I would not be able to do my own lifts for the next few nights. The damage to my pride is worse than the bumps and bruises to my body.

I attempted to run a few hours after my accident but only made it a mile before the pain on my forehead caused me to stop. I'm going to jump up on the bike tomorrow and see how that goes. This just does not seem to be my year for training. First my knee and now this. :-(

2012-02-07 6:53 AM
in reply to: #4032374

New user

Shane - Sorry for the response you got in the general forum regarding your CrossFit question. It wouldn't have surprised me in SlowTwitch, but it's disappointing it happened here. I've never tried it myself, but if it sounds like something you would enjoy, and you can find the time to incorporate it into your schedule, then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't give it a shot.!

It's okay.  I was pretty surprised by the response I got too since things are generally "friendly" here.  I was blown away by the cynical responses that I got.  I realize it's a triathlon forum, but there is more to life than triathlons for most of us.  And I know for me I have to make sure that I keep myself together physically.  My life has the potential to one day depend on it.  I've realized that even though I've slimmed down, I've lost a lot of tone in my body and a lot of strength since I've been neglecting my strength training and I'd like to get that back.  At least by posing the question here it gave me an insight into things to consider before I ask other questions in the future.  

I'm pretty sure I'll sign up for 6 or 12 months of crossfit.  I don't think I can get a good sample of the program in a few visits to see if I like it.  To see if it's really for me I need to make at least some kind of commitment to it and put in the effort.  Only then can I really say if it's for me.

Hope everyone is well recovered from their Super Bowl weekend!

Shane

2012-02-07 7:35 AM

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Happy birthday Sarah.  I hope you have a great one.  

Shane, I agree with you.  Do not allow negative comments carry the day.  In the end you have to do what is best for you.  

Hubbie, your accident really sounds painful.  I hope that you are able to recover quickly.  Try to keep your head up.  You are going to get to through this.  

2012-02-07 1:25 PM

Veteran
Tampa

Happy Birthday Sarah! Hope you have a great day.

About the flying mount / dismount, if you pick any tips from your coach, I would love to hear what they are. 

In honor of your b-day, I am taking today off to :D

Hubbie, hope you recover quickly!

2012-02-07 1:35 PM

Davis Square, Somerville, MA
KiterChick - 2012-02-06 4:04 PM

Will - I can't believe there's only one swim clinic left! Hope you're enjoying your group and finding it helpful.

Happy Birthday Sarah! 

I am finding the clinics pretty helpful.  If anything, its helping me develop better awareness of my swim stroke and I think I am actualy starting to understand the different parts a little bit: catch, pull, recovery, etc.  Before those were mostly abstract concepts to me.

Will

2012-02-07 2:50 PM

Veteran
Boston, MA

Hi everyone, thanks for the birthday wishes! After sleeping in and lounging around all morning, I made my way over to the pool for an hour this afternoon. It was probably the best swim workout I've had all year. I really tried to focus on my stroke, and as an added bonus, for the first time ever, I seem to have finally figured out how to breathe on both sides! Looking like my friend is going to want to meet on Friday for a morning swim too. Two swim workouts in one week? That's crazy!

Hubbie - Ouch! Hope your forehead feels better soon. Definitely take it easy until it doesn't hurt as much. Running falls are the worst though. I once managed to get my right foot hooked into a shoelace loop on my left foot, and that was not pretty. I had two people running behind me at the time, and they seemed pretty skeptical when I told them I was fine. Maybe it was all of the blood running down my knee and hand.

Shane - I'd suggest you sign up for the six month package to start with. While I definitely agree that you'll need to put in a few months to find out if it's going to work for you, a yearlong commitment is pretty long for something you may not ultimately enjoy. Either way, I hope it works out for you!

Sebastian - Awwww, taking the day off just for me? What a selfless present!

Will - I'm definitely feeling more aware of my stroke now too. Last season I don't think I paid any attention to my arm once it hit the water, and was probably just lackadaisically dragging it through the water. Make sure you get some practice in before next clinic. She's bringing the video camera to that one!

2012-02-08 2:49 AM

New user
Worst leg DOMS ever! Thinking I might swap today's swim for upper body weights workout, but then will the fatigued shoulders from weights today affect the swim tomorrow? Or should I just stick to the swim? One things for sure I won't be leaving out leg work in the gym again!
2012-02-08 12:57 PM

Veteran
Tampa

Awesome swim today! Which makes me really happy

I went for an hour and got 2800 meters in at lunch time, with 1900 of those being breast. My poor ankles are sore! Anyway, I could get this in just in time for my swim meet this weekend, and since my main races are in breast, I feel prepared.

2012-02-08 3:00 PM

KiterChick - 2012-02-06 4:04 PM

Sebastian - I read your race report, sounds like things went pretty well. I haven't started working on the flying mount out of T1 or removing my shoes while clipped in coming into T2 either. I'm thinking about it this year, although I thought it would be best to wait until I start with my coach, since he will likely have some suggestions for it. I'll be sure to pass along anything useful I may learn in the future...

Learning the flying mount/dismount is defintely on my radar for this year as well.  While I am not fast at all, I did lose race positions year due in part to poor transitions (All three of my tris last year, I was slightly faster in the s/b/r than several people who finished ahead of me, but they would just thrash me in transition).  When I think about it, last year was more about completion of races than competition anyway.  But now that I know I can complete Sprints and Olys, I am looking at upping my effort level a lot.

I had a pretty big training week last week.  At 7 hours, it was the most I have done in a few months.  This week is a bit more relaxed, which is a good thing becasue I am powerfully unmotivated today.  I had an off day Monday and again today, and did a light 45 minute brick last night.  I have a light run Thursday and swim scheduled on Friday, then things start to pick up again on Saturday.  Hopefully I'll get some mojo back before then...    

Edited by williemc432 2012-02-08 3:02 PM

2012-02-08 3:54 PM

Expert

Hey Everyone!!

Looks as though you are all doing great.

Happy Belated Birthday Sarah!!

As for me, between working 16 hour days and being sick the past week, I haven't gotten much training done.  Hoping to change that in the next few days.

2012-02-09 6:28 AM

Veteran
Slept for a total of 16 hours yesterday. Didn't realize how tired I was. Woke this morning with a terrible sore throat. And to make matters worse I have a race this Saturday. Just is not my month.
2012-02-09 7:12 AM

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
This week has been a blah week for me.  Very low energy level but still trying to stick with the plan.  Today had a 1500 swim.  Felt great.  No drills just swimming.  I allowed my mind to try to go blank (never works) but that it.  I am supposed to donate blood this morning and try to get out for a tempo run at lunch.  The medical staff probably will be a little angry with me.  
2012-02-09 7:58 PM

Veteran
Boston, MA

Hi everyone! No workout yesterday, but I got in an hour on the trainer tonight. Was going to swim tomorrow morning, but I haven't run yet this week, so I'd feel better getting that in. I'm starting to feel really pent up doing all of my rides on the trainer. I know it's better than nothing, so I hate to complain, but I love biking outside!

Chris - Looks like you chose to get on the bike the day after your arm set. Probably a good plan. I'd imagine swimming the day after would be pretty rough.

Sebastian - How do you keep track of how far you've swam during a long workout? Maybe it's just instinctual for you at this point, but I tried on Tuesday, and I completely lost track. I've put in an order for a 910xt, so hopefully that will do the trick, since otherwise I may need to bring a whiteboard to put dashes on for every 100 yards!

Will - Congrats on the seven hour week. That's no small feat, especially in the winter!

Tyler - Your job sounds rough! I hope you're able to find time to focus on yourself soon...

Hubbie - You're sick now? You've definitely had a rough week or so! I hope you feel better before your race this weekend! Is your head feeling better at least?

Ken - How was the blood draw? I've only tried twice and almost passed out both times, but I imagine you're tougher than I am. Regardless, I hope you took your run afterward easy!

2012-02-10 6:06 AM
in reply to: #4039125

Veteran
Tampa
KiterChick - 2012-02-09 8:58 PM

Sebastian - How do you keep track of how far you've swam during a long workout? Maybe it's just instinctual for you at this point, but I tried on Tuesday, and I completely lost track. I've put in an order for a 910xt, so hopefully that will do the trick, since otherwise I may need to bring a whiteboard to put dashes on for every 100 yards!

Sarah, the vast majority of my swimming is done in intervals, so it is not hard to keep track. the only times when it gets challenging is on the days in which I do distance, where I swim some intervals that are 500-600 meters, but I pay special attention on those and I am usually fine. The challenging part with intervals is remembering the workout, so I print it out and take the piece of paper with me to the pool, I get the paper wet and stick it on the pool wall at the end of the lane.

It's funny that you mention the 910xt, I finally broke down and put my order in 3 days ago. The swimming features were too cool to ignore

Regarding my training, today is my easy day, since tomorrow I am doing day 1 of the swim meet. I will go to the pool at lunch and get a short workout in. Not sure exactly what yet, but probably something like 400 warm-up, 400 drills, 4x100 fast with plenty of rest, 8x25 all out, 200 cool-down. That should get me ready!

2012-02-10 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4039489

Sebastian/Sarah- where did you order the 910 from?  I used an old Edge 305/Forerunner 305 combination last year, but between the hassle of keeping up with two GPSs and my Edge slowly dying of old age I am thinking of simplyfing.  I usually just order from REI, but I am not sure how long their back order is compared to other places.

Got a 5 mile run in after work last night, but moving today's swim to Sunday (have to go buy Valentine's Day presents during lunch).

Good friday everyone.

2012-02-10 12:18 PM

Veteran
No workout for me today. Yet more hours stuck in a classroom doing my refresher. Yeah I'm sick now too. Woke up yesterday and this morning with a sore throat from hell. I'm hoping that I'm just getting all the sick ess and injuries for the year out of the way now.
Still plan on doing my race tomorrow morning sore throat or not. That's the Italian die hard nature and Irish hard headed nature coming through.
2012-02-10 12:20 PM
in reply to: #4040208

Veteran
Tampa

Hi Will,

I ordered from Trisports and used the BT code, since I am a Performance member. You do have to give your BT member name and they check you are a Performance member for the code to be applied though.

2012-02-10 12:54 PM

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
I was just hit with the injury bug as well.  Pulled my calf muscle.  Hurts like heck.  Worst thing is that I hurt it at mile 3 of an 8 mile run.  Limped the rest of the run.  Now paying for it.  RICE for me for the rest of the day.  
2012-02-10 3:59 PM

Veteran
Boston, MA

Hi everyone, wrapping things up here at work so I can head out and start off my weekend. Went on a 6M run this morning. I seem to always feel sluggish on runs lately. That's not surprising, given that I'm only getting in a couple of runs a week, and have added almost 10 lbs since race season. I'm not too worried about bouncing back eventually, it's just a bit frustrating to feel so slow...

Sebastian - I hadn't thought about the fact that your pool workouts are more structured than mine. That would certainly help. If you get your 910xt first, you'll have to let me know how you like it. Good luck with your swim meet this weekend!

Will - I ordered mine through Road Runner Sports, since I'm a VIP member and saved 10%. Just got an email this morning that the anticipated ship date has shifted to March 12th though, so I'll need to temper my excitement for the time being...

Hubbie - Good luck with your race, and I hope another night of sleep helps your sore throat bounce back so it's not an issue!

Ken - I'm hoping that the fact that you finished out your run implies that your calf wasn't hurt too bad...

2012-02-11 2:23 PM

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
I truly hope it will be ok.  I am going for a long run tomorrow and that will answer.  I am planning to run really slow in order to get an early gauge on the damage.   I was able to get a long ride in today.  Took it really easy in order to ensure that I could finish.  
2012-02-11 7:04 PM
in reply to: #4041049

Broke down and an ordered a 910 today, I cannot wait until it comes (3 or 4 weeks according to REI). One thing I will have to figure out is how to switch from the standard 5 to 6 data display that I am used to looking at to the four data display in the 910, but I think I've about got that figured out.

Did a two hour brick this afternoon- it was a pretty poor performance overall, but sometimes that happens.  Tomorrow will be a swim and perhaps a run (if I get my clothes washed before then).

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

2012-02-11 10:22 PM

Veteran

Did my Red Flannel Run today. All I have to say is that it was COLD!!!!!! The temp was 6 degrees with a -5 wind chill complete with frequent and strong gusts of wind. My time was slower than I would have like but considering what my poor body has been though the past six weeks or so I'm happy I actually was able to run the thing. I finished logging it on my Race log and is ready for review.

Got my new bike computer in the mail, its a Sigma BC 1609 complete with a cadence counter, stop watch to time interval sets, and all the other standard things that comes with most computers (sorry, very tired and really don't want to put to much brain power in right now). I'm excited to get my new bike so I can hook it up and take it out for a ride.

2012-02-12 10:48 AM

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Couldn't run today.  My calf just wouldn't allow it.  I am a little bummed.  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team KiterChick - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 22