BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2012-04-01 9:11 PM
in reply to: #4122427

Regular
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013
elcaminobill - 2012-03-31 5:39 PM

Weight Monday morning....204.8

Weight on Saturday morning.... 195.0

BOOM!!!!!!!

Fantastic!

2012-04-01 9:15 PM
in reply to: #4120242

Regular

Malsup - 2012-03-30 8:01 AM Pam. Ugh sorry for all the travel pain!! What a bummer!Easy to cover miles in Holland tho!! Very flat!!Where is sister living?? Wife and kids are Dutch and are over there quite a bit. (have house in Nunspeet)Monte.

My sister came in from close to Brussels (BE) my niece is also Belgian but lives in Den Haag, which is a beautiful town.  I do speak Dutch as my mother tongue...  Only benefit of traveling is seeing my family fairly regularly over there.  

The infrastructure for biking is pretty amazing in Holland for biking; definitely want to do a biking vacation there at some point.  Really should have done it when I lived at home in Belgium, logistics are a little harder to organize but nit impossible from here

2012-04-01 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3965644

User image

Expert
Pam, I have used a couple of wetsuits, one that fit well and one that fit horribly.  Hated that one!  Maybe thats the issue with not liking the open water swims with the wet suit.  Just a thought.
2012-04-02 9:41 AM

User image

Expert

I'm back!!!  Lots of great stuff going on in here over the weekend while I was off racing.  Congrats on the finish lines, weight loss, and great workouts.

I had a great weekend as well and walked away with a new HIM PR of 6:24:55.  Swam in 44:29, T1 of 3:25, biked in 3:20:25, T2 of 2:14 and ran in 2:14:22.  

The swim was better than 2 years ago, but I felt like I struggled a bit.  Couldn't really get my breath at first and was breathing every 2 strokes when I normally do every 3.  First time in the wetsuit since IMFL in 2010 as well.  Need to work on that.  

I was happy with the bike, but still need to do some work in that area.  I would really like to get to where I can average 17+ for the longer rides.  Hopefully I can ride lots this summer.

Run was ok, but it was hot and I walked more than I would have liked.  Walked through most of the aid stations making sure to drink water, dump water on the head, and eat some ice.  I ran with my own gatorade since I can't stand the Perform.  Took some enduralyte tablets early on, but they fell out of my pocket so I couldn't take more.  

Overall, I was very please with my race based on the amount of training leading to the race.  I know where I'm at and what I need to work on now for IMAZ.  I'll post a detailed race report in my race logs sometime this week.

2012-04-02 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin

You folks have been busy!

Briana's effort was a great PR for her! Mine -- not so much. But my goal was to finish, and finish vertically, neither of which I accomplished last year. Mission accomplished this time! A few kicks in the head on the swim, a flat at mile 12 on the ride, and "I ain't no runner!" so it is what it is.

I decided last week to start the juice fast today, AFTER the 70.3 - and given my performance yesterday, none too soon! i went down to the gym at work this morning and weighted in, so we will see how it goes. With today being the 8-year anniversary of the heart attack, I figure losing a few LBs is probably a good idea.

It was great to see a number of folks do so well yesterday - Briana and another friend (who is also doing IM Texas), Kelli Williamson and Tim O'Donnell... awesome day! Once again, a great conversation with other BOP "runners".

2012-04-02 10:49 AM
in reply to: #4123850

Regular

elcaminobill - 2012-04-01 10:47 PM Pam, I have used a couple of wetsuits, one that fit well and one that fit horribly.  Hated that one!  Maybe thats the issue with not liking the open water swims with the wet suit.  Just a thought.

Could indeed be the case of an ill fitting suit.  I had it fitted in AZ when I was there, and they assured me it was the right fit (after trying on 4 I was exhausted), I may not have pulled it up high enough yesterday because there seemed to be water accumulating around my pelvis, which made me feel like I had a water balloon where my butt is...  I am going to try it again and see if pulling it up higher makes a difference.  Otherwise I will need to find another one

2012-04-02 1:22 PM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Way to go Brianna and Pat!!!  

Great job on the PR's Brianna.... and Great job on the Verical Finish Pat!!  you guys rock..

M.

2012-04-02 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4123790

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia
pedmpa - 2012-04-01 9:15 PM

Malsup - 2012-03-30 8:01 AM Pam. Ugh sorry for all the travel pain!! What a bummer!Easy to cover miles in Holland tho!! Very flat!!Where is sister living?? Wife and kids are Dutch and are over there quite a bit. (have house in Nunspeet)Monte.

My sister came in from close to Brussels (BE) my niece is also Belgian but lives in Den Haag, which is a beautiful town.  I do speak Dutch as my mother tongue...  Only benefit of traveling is seeing my family fairly regularly over there.  

The infrastructure for biking is pretty amazing in Holland for biking; definitely want to do a biking vacation there at some point.  Really should have done it when I lived at home in Belgium, logistics are a little harder to organize but nit impossible from here

Have some good friends in/from Wassanar.. a mini sprint from Den Haag...Ha.. Love me some Belgian Meals!!! not to mention Chocolate....  My wife and I love to get up in the morning.. drive to Antwerp for bfast... putt around...make way to Brussels for dinner.. drive back to Nunspeet with severe "man that food was awesome buzz".... I know you understand...

Easy to bike in Holland... lots of trails/paths joining everything.. and soooo flat!! ha..

2012-04-02 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
Brianna and Pat, great job, waiting for the race reports.  As a matter of fact, I think we are still waiting on several race reports aren't we?
2012-04-02 7:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congratulations Briana and Patrick!
2012-04-02 7:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Okay I am going to ask a personal question here and I am sorry if it is too personal and knowing me I am probably the only one having this issue.

Does anyone have issues like saddle soreness (particularly the women) after shaving the bikini line and then riding the bike for a long time?  I have used Glide, Chamois Butt'r, and now dznutbliss and nothing seems to work. I am curious if anyone else experiences this and what you do.  

2012-04-02 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
I wish y'all could have seen the post I just deleted in response to KTC!  It was Hilarious!
2012-04-02 10:03 PM
in reply to: #4126119

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
2012-04-02 10:12 PM
in reply to: #4126119

User image

Extreme Veteran
I want to know what you were going to say! Do share.
2012-04-03 6:31 AM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
Congrats Brianna and Pat. Awesome accomplishments!!
2012-04-03 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4125476

User image

Expert

elcaminobill - 2012-04-02 3:48 PM Brianna and Pat, great job, waiting for the race reports.  As a matter of fact, I think we are still waiting on several race reports aren't we?

Yes, you are still waiting on race reports, at least from me!  

I'll try to get to all of them this week, but I admit I usually do a report on my blog over the race report here on BT.  I'll let you know when they are up.

2012-04-03 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4125871

User image

Veteran
Long Island
krazytallchick - 2012-04-02 7:36 PM

Okay I am going to ask a personal question here and I am sorry if it is too personal and knowing me I am probably the only one having this issue.

Does anyone have issues like saddle soreness (particularly the women) after shaving the bikini line and then riding the bike for a long time?  I have used Glide, Chamois Butt'r, and now dznutbliss and nothing seems to work. I am curious if anyone else experiences this and what you do.  

Hey all, I have wanted to post this question for a while but have held back. I too have horrible soreness on the bike.  Have tried all the lube products, purchased high end shorts in seguoi and pearl azumza with no relief.  I noticed  it started when I got aero bars so though it may be the fit or positioning??  I am super frustrated with it.  I have found if I pull my shorts down a few times during my ride it is better.  Maybe I need longer shorts?

I was at conference in Boston last week.  Got some good work outs in.  Came back and went to the gym to swim and ended up in the ER with corneal abrasions?  Can you say OUCH!!  Thought the chlorine was high, cuz my eyes were burning, right more than left.  By the time I finished work out couldn't open right eye.  Somehow, drove home (SHort ride)  Hubbie brought me to ER.  Long story short, very painful and immobilizing.  Went to eye MD yest and got it patched shut due to alot of swelling and pain.  Doing better today, thankfully.  Patch is off and I am clear to exercise.  Swelling is better but vision is a bit blurry yet.  So sore from sleeping almost 2 days staright so may do a short, easy run.  I apoplgize for typos cuz and see real well. 

Congrats to all you racers out there!!  Was suppose to start my 8 wk Oly program this week.  Hope to get most of it in still. HM in less than 2 weeks!!

2012-04-03 1:34 PM

User image

Expert

Ann, surely you are wearing goggles, right?

My call on the saddle soreness is 2 fold. 

First, make sure you have a saddle that will fit your needs.  I trtied several different saddles before settling on the Adamo.  Bought mine used on the classified section.  Try this.

Second, the second most important part of the equation is to get .  For you newbies, thats the 2 round things on the fron....Wait wrong thread.  means "time in the saddle".  The more you ride, (with the correct saddle), the better it will get.  Eventually, you will be able to ride a full ironman without to much saddle soreness.  Either that or everything else on your body will hurt so bad that you forget about the buttock area!

That's all, must leave to get back to the "other thread" I was talking about!

I kill myself!

2012-04-03 1:47 PM

Washington DC

Kathy,

I had a long ride on Sunday and I noticed soreness, but that was without shaving.. but I decided earlier in the day to not plan on shaving until I get a little more used to riding for that precise reason.

2012-04-03 1:52 PM

Washington DC

Thanks for the congrats, folks, and congrats to Briana and Pat as well!

I have played in open water before, but not tried any serious swimming. I'm more worried about the cold than anything, so we'll see if I can't find a wetsuit and get some practice in the lake... though that's only about 50 degrees it seems. What temperature do you all start getting out there in?

2012-04-03 1:58 PM

Regular
krazytallchick - 2012-04-02 8:36 PM

Saddle soreness:  Boys, you may want to skip this section

I also believe it has a lot to do with shaving.  I have started waxing the hairy bits rather than shaving as the shaving always created issues and soreness, and sometimes even felt like I was having a yeast infection (which I was not) because of the little cuts and hair follicles that would inflame and infect.  My soreness has mostly come from exercising on hotel exercise bicycles.  I have yet to be sore on my saddle, It came on my bike when I bought it but I love it: Adamo full gel road with the slit in the front.  Between that and waxing I have not had soreness in months.  My longest bike rides however have only been 1,5 hrs (but a lot of it in aero) so that may have something to do with it too....

2012-04-03 4:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ann, I hope you are doing better! What you describe sounds painful.

I guess I should have explained myself better as it is really not saddle soreness that I am experiencing it is more with what Pam described.......the shaving bumps and ingrown hairs, etc that causes the tenderness. I had heard that waxing would helped and was wondering. I guess I will have to give that a try cause I have this issue on both my tri and road bikes.

2012-04-03 4:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maria, when I first got my wetsuit the store person told me to try putting it on take a shower and see where the water comes in and then try taking it off as practice. They said by taking a shower you can tell if you have it on right or if you have to pull it up more. Swimming in 50 degrees still sounds too cold for me even in a wetsuit.
2012-04-03 4:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island

Doing much better. Txs.  Nervous about going back in the pool tho.

Although i do get saddle soreness, I so know what you are talking about.  I get redeness in the creases where the shorts meet.  I don't shave or wax, just don't need to.  I also invested in an expensive seat an Italian one "Selle Italai"  It didn't help either.  An adamo seat was recommended to me for this problem but haven't sought it out yet but probably will.

Let me know if you come up with any cures.

2012-04-03 6:10 PM

Regular

I started waxing myself rather than going to a place to have it done.  My brazilian cleaning lady gave me some tips.  I just use the Sally Hansen Lavender wax that you heat for 1 minute in the microwave and then the trick is to use pieces of jeans (I have plenty of kids jeans my kids grow out of) that I cut into strips and then use the raw side.  For some reason those grab the hairs much better than the paper strips the do it yourself kits come with.  I do this every 3-4 weeks and it seems to tame hairs everywhere you need them tamed.  It takes a little getting used to...  I just hate the prices places charge for waxing compared to in Belgium where it costs about 20% of what they charge here.....

I also love not to have to shave all the time...  There are much less bumps and ingrown hairs

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  

of 57